Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Jeggo
Newell
Stevenson(Obita if fit)

ALF or Youan and Boyle dropping into the spaces being hard to pick up

Vente

Sort of a 3-4-2-1 type formation. Enough defensively sound players there to act as a base for the front 3 to cause problems.

Carheenlea
01-09-2023, 11:21 AM
While we are enjoying the spectacle of a great occasion with regards the support at Villa Park, we do need to focus all attention now on Sundays important business. Bottom of league on no points in September after three games. It’s not outwith the realms of possibility it could be 0 points out if 4.

I quite liked the line up last night, but would like to see Vente or ALF start as our striking option up front. Aberdeen aren’t any great shakes so a more than winnable game. I’ll feel a bit more confidence in the season ahead if we can get properly underway with an away win at a place we don’t have a particularly strong record.

Unseen work
01-09-2023, 11:23 AM
……….………..Boruc…………..

Miller……Bushiri….Hanlon…..Obita (if injured Stevenson)..

……………Jeggo…..Newell…..

Boyle…………..ALF………….Youan…..

……………………Vente………

Emphasis going on Boyle realising he is now expected to track back.

Carheenlea
01-09-2023, 11:28 AM
……….………..Boruc…………..

Miller……Bushiri….Hanlon…..Obita (if injured Stevenson)..

……………Jeggo…..Newell…..

Boyle…………..ALF………….Youan…..

……………………Vente………

Emphasis going on Boyle realising he is now expected to track back.

We’d be steamrolled in the middle of the park. Might score 2 or 3, but could concede 4 or 5!

Unseen work
01-09-2023, 11:44 AM
We’d be steamrolled in the middle of the park. Might score 2 or 3, but could concede 4 or 5!

Aberdeen will likely have Shinnie, clarkson and McGrath in the middle of the park - not as physical or that as before and I think the midfield 2/3 would be fine as long as we defended narrow and closed gaps in there.

I expect Gray will go 352 however to try match them

Scooter
01-09-2023, 11:51 AM
I'd go for

Boruc/Johnson

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Jeggo
Newell
Stevenson(Obita if fit)

ALF or Youan and Boyle dropping into the spaces being hard to pick up

Vente

Sort of a 3-4-2-1 type formation. Enough defensively sound players there to act as a base for the front 3 to cause problems.

Make this into a 3-5-2 then deal

KWJ
01-09-2023, 12:00 PM
While I'm all for bringing Boruc in over Marshall, I'm sure SDG or new manager will stick with him for this game and I can understand why.

Marshall

Miller - Rocky - Fish - Obita (Stevenson if required

Jeggo
Delferriere - Newell

Boyle - Youan

Vente

I was going to look to have an extra midfielder in there but we really are lacking with Campbell struggling and JDH out. Really need to bring someone in today.

I think rather than keep playing an out of form and potentially injured Campbell, I'd look to get one of our better players on the pitch which are our forwards. I think I'd prefer that than bringing Hanlon back in and playing with wing backs.

But I bet we go 5-3-2 and pretty much just like we did v Villa.

AlbertK86
01-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Boruc

Rocky
Fish
Hanlon

Miller
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Boyle

Youan
Vente

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH1875
01-09-2023, 12:20 PM
3-5-2/5-3-2 is 100% the way to go. Being saying it since the start of the season.

Exuberance1875
01-09-2023, 02:21 PM
3-5-2/5-3-2 is 100% the way to go. Being saying it since the start of the season.

Struggle to get Boyle and Youan into this formation in my opinion without having to do more defensive work than we’d like.

Jones28
01-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Boruc
Miller Bushiri Hanlon Obita
Boyle Newell Jeggo Youan
ALF Vente

andrew70
01-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Johnson
Miller Fish Rocky Hanlon Obita
Molotnikov Jeggo Newell
Vente Youan

I really do think we need to watch overplaying Boyle. We need to be strong at the back against two good strikers.

We need legs in midfield and I still believe Youan is best when playing as a striker and drifting into the channels. He’s too predictable when he starts out wide left. His pace would terrify any centre half.

Scooter
01-09-2023, 04:32 PM
Struggle to get Boyle and Youan into this formation in my opinion without having to do more defensive work than we’d like.

I said this in a previous post somewhere. 3-5-2 probably suits us with the players we have. But it comes at a cost cause you won't get boyle/youan&Vente in the same team. The 4-3-3 is to accommodate thoes 3 players rather the what's best for the team

Donegal Hibby
01-09-2023, 04:44 PM
Boruc
Miller Bushiri Hanlon Obita
Boyle Newell Jeggo Youan
ALF Vente

I'd go with this though it will probably be Stevenson in place of Obita .

sauzeelegod
01-09-2023, 06:30 PM
Boruc

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Jeggo
Newell
Obita if fit

Boyle
Vente
Youan

AL-Qaholik
01-09-2023, 06:50 PM
New GK

New LB
New CH
New CH
New RB

New CM
New CM
New…ell

Boyle
Vente
Le Fondre

Should be easy enough to achieve.
Over to you, Hibs.

supermcginn
01-09-2023, 07:24 PM
Boruc

Miller
Rocky
Fish
Obita

Boyle
Newell
Jeggo
Youan

Alf
Vente

Skol
01-09-2023, 07:24 PM
I dont think the 3/4/3 system works well, or not for us certainly. I prefer 4/4/2 or 3/5/2 or 4/2/3/1 probably suits the squad we have best.

B.H.F.C
01-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Boruc

Miller
?
?
Obita (if fit)

Boyle
?
Newell
Youan

Vente
ALF

Can’t make my mind up on who should play centre half as nothing has worked this season. Thought Jeggo had a decent game last night but it’s completely hit and miss with whoever plays in there.

McGruber
02-09-2023, 08:16 AM
Assuming Obita, JDH and Vente out injured would go

Boruc

Miller
Rocky
Harbottle
Hanlon
Stevenson
Jeggo
Newell
Boyle
ALF
Youan

JimBHibees
02-09-2023, 08:16 AM

Boruc

Miller
Rocky
Harbottle
Hanlon
Stevenson
Jeggo
Newell
Boyle
ALF
Youan

Is Vente injured?

hibee1875
02-09-2023, 08:17 AM

Boruc

Miller
Rocky
Harbottle
Hanlon
Stevenson
Jeggo
Newell
Boyle
ALF
Youan

Don’t think vente is injured. That midfield would be overrun

flash
02-09-2023, 08:20 AM
Boruc/Johnston

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Newall
Jeggo
Stevenson

Youan
Vente
Boyle.

If Obita is fit swap him for Lewis.

The Modfather
02-09-2023, 08:25 AM
Johnson
Miller Harbottle Hanlon Obita (Stevenson if he is injured)
Jeggo Newell Rudi/McAllister
Boyle Vente Youan

Think it’s time to give Harbottle an extended run, we paid money for him so let’s see if he’s up to it or not. Time to give the youngsters their chance going forward.

B.H.F.C
02-09-2023, 11:11 AM
Johnson
Miller Harbottle Hanlon Obita (Stevenson if he is injured)
Jeggo Newell Rudi/McAllister
Boyle Vente Youan

Think it’s time to give Harbottle an extended run, we paid money for him so let’s see if he’s up to it or not. Time to give the youngsters their chance going forward.

If we’re playing a three in the middle of the park then 100% it’s time to give one of the young lads a chance. There is no point in keeping doing the same thing. Newell obviously plays and Jeggo did well on Thursday night. Campbell should be nowhere near the team.

Northernhibee
02-09-2023, 11:19 AM
Boruc

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

Vente
Doidge

Allant1981
02-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Boruc
Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson(if obita isn't fit)
Jeggo
Newell
Campbell
Boyle
Vente
Youan

Brightside
02-09-2023, 11:40 AM
Dons play 352. I assume we will play 433 to counter that. Jeggo will have to tuck in to allow our full backs to push up and control the middle of the park.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Boyle and Youan wide as a 4 does not work, i'm not even sure it works as a 5 either. We need to stop conceding goals from wide, and neither do enough dirty work to help stop that in my opinion.

Hibby Kay-Yay
02-09-2023, 06:57 PM
Boruc

Rocky
Fish
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Jeggo
Delf
Obita (or Stevenson if injured)

Youan
Vente

But I think SDG will go with:

Marshall

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Newell
Jeggo
Delf

Boyle
Vente
Youan

eastmainsmsh
02-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Marshall

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Jeggo
Delf

Boyle
Newell
Youan

Doidge
Vente

SteveHFC
02-09-2023, 08:51 PM
Vente and ALF to start upfront please.

J-C
03-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Marshall (I don't think Gray will drop him but he should)

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Campbell
Jeggo
Newell

Boyle
Vente
Youan

BoomtownHibees
03-09-2023, 08:58 AM
Marshall (I don't think Gray will drop him but he should)

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Campbell
Jeggo
Newell

Boyle
Vente
Youan

That midfield just isn’t good enough imo. Not many other options but Campbell shouldn’t be anywhere near the team for me

Tambo
03-09-2023, 09:11 AM
We started the season excited at the prospect of Boyle and Youan out wide with a new number 9 coming in.

Boyle
Vente
Youan

Looks attractive on paper but so far the team have suffered in other areas.

No idea what team today, I do think Vente and someone else up top, just a struggle to get Boyle and Youan in also.

B.H.F.C
03-09-2023, 09:25 AM
We started the season excited at the prospect of Boyle and Youan out wide with a new number 9 coming in.

Boyle
Vente
Youan

Looks attractive on paper but so far the team have suffered in other areas.

No idea what team today, I do think Vente and someone else up top, just a struggle to get Boyle and Youan in also.

We need to start getting them on the park together. There’s been so much chopping and changing that it hasn’t happened as much as it should. Hopefully that changes today and from now on we start having our strongest available team on the park (whatever that is) rather than 5 changes before the game then another 2 at half time along with a change of shape thrown in after 25 minutes.

rowan3633
03-09-2023, 11:00 AM
Boruc

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita (if fit or Lewis)

Delferrierre

JDH (if fit or Campbell)
Newall

Boyle
Vente
Youan

This is a free hit for Gray (again) and I'd like to see the the team that he thinks should be playing, if he sticks to the basics then he's only ever cut out to be a coach and nothing more

Greenbeard
03-09-2023, 11:28 AM
We need to start getting them on the park together. There’s been so much chopping and changing that it hasn’t happened as much as it should. Hopefully that changes today and from now on we start having our strongest available team on the park (whatever that is) rather than 5 changes before the game then another 2 at half time along with a change of shape thrown in after 25 minutes.
I'm leaning towards the other side of the fence. When Boyle and Youan have been on together it often seems to have left us short in midfield, one possible consequence being resorting to the hoof.

JohnM1875
03-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Nearly lineup time! Looking forward to watching us after Thursdays effort

BT58
03-09-2023, 12:25 PM
If DG wants the Hibs job he has to drop Marshall. Goalie has cost us big time. Boruc has got to be given a chance. Get the defence sorted and we can build from that.
B

HendoDelivered
03-09-2023, 12:41 PM
Anyone else got a bad feeling marshall will start again?

Northernhibee
03-09-2023, 12:42 PM

Yep.

JohnM1875
03-09-2023, 12:43 PM

Yup

JohnM1875
03-09-2023, 12:45 PM

Confirmed ☹️

Allant1981
03-09-2023, 12:47 PM
Boruc and Johnson can't be doing much in training if Marshall starts again

supermcginn
Marshall and Campbell starting. Terrible decisions

Northernhibee
Beyond a joke.

GordonHFC
03-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Marshall FFS

Heisenberg
03-09-2023, 12:49 PM
Gray shouldn’t be near the job on a full time basis if he can’t see that Marshall is needing dropped.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2023, 12:50 PM

Tbh there isn't a whole lot else to go with in midfield when you look at the bench. I'd have preferred Delferriere to Campbell but beyond that there is nothing at all.

Marshall starting suggests there is a belief neither Boruc or Johnson are ready so looks like we have to wait until Wollacott is back before we see a change.

Borderhibbie76
03-09-2023, 12:50 PM
Thats a terrible team and proves why SDG won't get the job and rightly so - no balls to drop Marshall, drops rocky after a great performance on Thurs and plays Campbell who has been so poor of late

easty
03-09-2023, 12:52 PM

For **** sake.

Northernhibee
03-09-2023, 12:53 PM
Tbf Josh does love a goal or three against the Sheep.

Aldo
03-09-2023, 12:55 PM
Marshall appears undroppable regardless of his performances.

Brightside
03-09-2023, 12:57 PM
Not sure who would take Josh’s position

blackpoolhibs
I refuse to believe any of our other fit keepers are worse than Marshall. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
I'm not sure the Marshall decision is all on Gray.

Stuart Garden is assisting him and is working with the keepers day in, day out. I reckon his opinion will count for a lot with this decision. Not saying I agree with it but as I said above it suggests there is a feeling neither of the other 2 currently available are ready.

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-09-2023, 12:58 PM
XI: Marshall (GK), Miller, Hanlon (c), Fish, Youan, Vente, Boyle, Newell, Jeggo, Stevenson, Campbell.

Subs: Boruc, Le Fondre, Doidge, Harbottle, Delferrière, Rocky, Molotnikov, McAllister, Megwa.

erin go bragh
03-09-2023, 12:58 PM
Marshall is done and needs binned
If Boruc is deemed no better, why the hell have we no signed a new first choice keeper.

easty
03-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Must be fairly demoralising to be Boruc or Johnson and see the piss poor performances being put in week on week, but still never get in.

CB Hibs 68
03-09-2023, 01:00 PM
Marshall would not be in the team if Wollacott was fit.Not sure why so many folks are convinced Boruc is the answer.He maybe but it would be a gamble bringing him in when there is an international keeper in the squad

Smartie
03-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Like Thursday, I think that (Marshall apart) it’s a logical team selection.

Back 4 - variation on what did well 2nd half of last season. I prefer Jeggo in front of a 4 to a 3. Campbell has the most drive of our midfielders and has a good record against Aberdeen. Front 3 we’ve all been wanting to see play together.

Rocky’s not so good in a pair. Our central midfield options are minging although I might have tried to get Delferriere in there for Campbell.

A lot will depend on us being more functional down the flanks, our wide forwards not leaving our full backs wide open.

I have to say - I like David Gray’s selections. They repeatedly make perfect sense to me.

Hibernian Verse
03-09-2023, 01:02 PM
If Boruc is deemed no better, why the hell have we no signed a new first choice keeper.

Wollacott

Jones28
03-09-2023, 01:03 PM
I don’t think there’s much wrong with the team except Marshall who needs dropped imo. I’m sure David will want to get out there and redeem himself and if he cuts out the mistakes he can still pull off some tremendous saves.

Very very harsh on Rocky.

Hiber-nation
03-09-2023, 01:06 PM
You could have put your mortgage on Marshall and Campbell starting today. No way was SDG going to change things much.

Iain G
03-09-2023, 01:09 PM
Is there an update on Obita? Sorry may have missed it.

And seems a little harsh on Rocky being benched after a good shift during week

Stuart93
03-09-2023, 01:10 PM
You could have put your mortgage on Marshall and Campbell starting today. No way was SDG going to change things much.

He never does.

SlickShoes
03-09-2023, 01:11 PM
Have we heard how bad Obita's injury is yet?

Tambo
03-09-2023, 01:14 PM
I think this lineup shows we don't really have the players to be playing fast free flowing football or either possession based.

Need to get the ball to Boyle and Youan as quick as we can, I don't see that midfield 3 controlling this game, I hope I'm wrong though.

Mon the Hibs.

Bridge hibs
03-09-2023, 01:14 PM
Team news anyone ?

Jones28
03-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Team news anyone ?

See pages 1-3 😂

McGruber
03-09-2023, 01:16 PM
Marshall not being dropped for the string of clangers now and again in the last match just says there is no accountability. Playing the same players regardless of form. Campbell in that bracket too, been very poor lately.

On the flip side ALF has impressed me the most out of the new signings. Improved us every time he has come on, scored and assisted but seems a bit overlooked. I know he will predominantly be an impact player this season at his age but he is fresh now and showing up his juniors.

Bridge hibs
03-09-2023, 01:17 PM
See pages 1-3 😂

Aw, missed that 🤣

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2023, 01:17 PM
I think this lineup shows we don't really have the players to be playing fast free flowing football or either possession based.

Need to get the ball to Boyle and Youan as quick as we can, I don't see that midfield 3 controlling this game, I hope I'm wrong though.

Mon the Hibs.

That was Johnson’s thinking, but it didn’t work. He didn’t seem to have any other plan; we need to find one quickly.

neil7908
03-09-2023, 01:18 PM
XI: Marshall (GK), Miller, Hanlon (c), Fish, Youan, Vente, Boyle, Newell, Jeggo, Stevenson, Campbell.

Subs: Boruc, Le Fondre, Doidge, Harbottle, Delferrière, Rocky, Molotnikov, McAllister, Megwa.

Anyone suggesting we've had a good window just needs to look at that bench.

We have a couple of veterans up top and then youngsters who have barely played any football.

January is a long, long way off.

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2023, 01:22 PM

We have a couple of veterans up top and then youngsters who have barely played any football.

And it isn’t as if we haven’t spent any money. We have, but big problems remain.

Smartie
03-09-2023, 01:23 PM

That’s with a minimal number of injuries as well.

A bit of bad luck and 3 or 4 of them are starting.

h1bs4life
03-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Is that one new signing in the 1st 11 ? Defence that has conceded umpteen goals . Sir David is a safe pair of hands .
Playing players he has know a long time and has played with , hopefully doesn’t back fire today and we get a win .

archie
03-09-2023, 01:26 PM

I assume because we did and he's injured.

The Modfather
03-09-2023, 01:32 PM
What was the point in signing Harbottle? Obita looks like the Mitchel/Magennis replacement and can’t be relied upon. That bench is grim.

Gray not making much of a case for the managers role IMO. Just continue with the same players and formations and hope for better than Johnson got out of them.

Lago
03-09-2023, 01:34 PM
Thats a terrible team and proves why SDG won't get the job and rightly so - no balls to drop Marshall, drops rocky after a great performance on Thurs and plays Campbell who has been so poor of late
Agree 100%,this should put to bed the Gray for manager nonsense

Allant1981
03-09-2023, 01:36 PM
Is that one new signing in the 1st 11 ? Defence that has conceded umpteen goals . Sir David is a safe pair of hands .
Playing players he has know a long time and has played with , hopefully doesn’t back fire today and we get a win .

To be fair he doesn't really have a lot of options, Wollacott, obita, JDH and Levitt all injured

Heisenberg
03-09-2023, 01:37 PM
That’s with a minimal number of injuries as well.

A bit of bad luck and 3 or 4 of them are starting.

To be fair we are missing 4 players through injury that would probably be startling today if fit. Our squad depth is still non existent though. Has been for a long time.

Smartie
03-09-2023, 01:39 PM
What’s Gray meant to do?

Try formations we haven’t attempted at any point this season?

Play new players who don’t exist?

A variation on what we did before whilst attempting to address the issues we had before with tweaks is surely sensible in this situation, no?

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2023, 01:47 PM
What’s Gray meant to do?

A variation on what we did before whilst attempting to address the issues we had before with tweaks is surely sensible in this situation, no?

We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place just now. Long ball hasn’t worked, but we don’t have many options. There is no easy solution.

The Modfather
03-09-2023, 01:48 PM
What’s Gray meant to do?

Give Harbottle his chance over either Fish or Hanlon who couldn’t complain at getting dropped. Play either Johnson or Boruc over Marshall. Play McAllister or Rudi over Campbell.

Looking at the bench there’s little options. However the with the keeper, centreback & midfield he’s decided against making any kind of decisions and hoping for different outcomes.

Allant1981
03-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Give Harbottle his chance over either of Fish & Hanlon who couldn’t complain at getting dropped. Play either Johnson or Boruc over Johnson. Play McAllister or Rudi over Campbell.

Looking at the bench there’s little options. However the with the keeper, centreback & midfield he’s decided against making any kind of decisions and hoping for different outcomes.

Out of interest what has mcallister or molotnikov done that merits them starting in the Premier league? Just because they are young? I've seen nothing from either that suggests they are ready to start yet(granted not seen a huge amount of them)

hibIBZ
03-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Give Harbottle his chance over either Fish or Hanlon who couldn’t complain at getting dropped. Play either Johnson or Boruc over Marshall. Play McAllister or Rudi over Campbell.

You say there is no options on the bench, but you want three of them starting?

Unseen work
03-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Bit dissapointed by that team but oh well, here we go!!

Cmon the Hibees

LaMotta
03-09-2023, 01:55 PM

Harbottle has had several chances, he was poor at Blackpool and not great last week v Livvy (although unfair playing him at RB). Maybe he doesnt look particularly good in training??

The Modfather
03-09-2023, 02:03 PM
Out of interest what has mcallister or molotnikov done that merits them starting in the Premier league? Just because they are young? I've seen nothing from either that suggests they are ready to start yet(granted not seen a huge amount of them)

To flip that. What has changed with Campbells form that merits him starting? We’re bottom of the league, yet any potential change or giving a youngster a chance is talked down, not unreasonably I’ll add, but we’re back to trying the same linups and same players and hoping for something different to happen.

500miles
03-09-2023, 02:31 PM
There won't be much changing up until we get the players on the training pitch for a reasonable period.

Allant1981
03-09-2023, 02:56 PM
To flip that. What has changed with Campbells form that merits him starting? We’re bottom of the league, yet any potential change or giving a youngster a chance is talked down, not unreasonably I’ll add, but we’re back to trying the same linups and same players and hoping for something different to happen.

I'm guessing you didn't have an answer to my question!

h1bs4life
03-09-2023, 04:57 PM

Got your team and set up spot on Sir David , solid professional performance.
Been critical of the defence especially Hanlon and Stevenson but they were part of a solid no nonsense defence today .
Excellent team performance all round , Millar man of match for me.
Great result looking forward to his testimonial dinner this coming Saturday.

Greenbeard
03-09-2023, 06:15 PM
I'm leaning towards the other side of the fence. When Boyle and Youan have been on together it often seems to have left us short in midfield, one possible consequence being resorting to the hoof.
Aye, right you are then ya p***k.

CB Hibs 68
03-09-2023, 06:42 PM
Interesting how this thread has died a death.Can anyone who was massively critical about the starting 11 explain why?