PDA

View Full Version : Sir David Gray

Donegal Hibby
31-08-2023, 09:11 PM
I thought even though we were beat tonight we give it a good go against superior opposition. If we get a positive result against Aberdeen should we consider SDG as Hibs manager , thoughts ?

H18 SFR
31-08-2023, 09:12 PM
I thought even though we were beat tonight we give it a good go against superior opposition. If we get a positive result against Aberdeen should we consider SDG as Hibs manager , thoughts ?

No. Not for me. We will set a team up like that twice at Celtic park and ibrox.

It’s not what we need for 34 more games.

21sMay
31-08-2023, 09:13 PM
I thought first 25 minutes we looked very good tonight and this was down to how sir David set us up . Unfortunately villa's quality shone through but much better performance than the first leg. I'm keen to see what kind of reaction he gets out of the players on Sunday

Northernhibee
31-08-2023, 09:13 PM

With a good result and performance at Pittodrie he could put himself into contention, no doubt.

Since452
31-08-2023, 09:15 PM

Not for me. See Robson at Aberdeen. One league win since April after the new manager bounce and blown their best ever chance at the Europa League. I'd rather get a real manager and not a coach.

Vault Boy
31-08-2023, 09:17 PM
Never say never, but I should think we have got some contingency plans in place already. If he causes a headache on Sunday, that can only be a good thing.

LunasBoots
31-08-2023, 09:17 PM
I think he will be a great manager one day, possibly too early just yet

Hibby Cam
31-08-2023, 09:19 PM
Deffo not, he had plenty time to make a difference before and needs to be cleaned out with everyone else, time to let a new coach bring their own team in

Lago
31-08-2023, 09:24 PM
With a good result and performance at Pittodrie he could put himself into contention, no doubt.
Nope, we would be shouting for his sacking by January

e2los
31-08-2023, 09:26 PM

Thinking the same myself.

If the fans performance tonight can't get the team fired up for the Aberdeen game, then nothing will.

I like Marshal and respect him, but if Gray starts him on Sunday then I'm all for a new manager ASAP.

gaz1875
31-08-2023, 09:36 PM
He set the team up how we should have played in the home tie. I thought the effort from the players was the best all season

ekhibee
31-08-2023, 09:51 PM
Gray's not done badly as a stand in manager but don't really want him as a manager and I'm sure he's said before that he doesn't want it anyway. I'd definitely keep him at the club though, there's a lot of things I like about him and his approach, and he'll be a good manager in the future IMO.

21sMay
31-08-2023, 09:54 PM
Gray's not done badly as a stand in manager but don't really want him as a manager and I'm sure he's said before that he doesn't want it anyway. I'd definitely keep him at the club though, there's a lot of things I like about him and his approach, and he'll be a good manager in the future IMO.

My thoughts also . Love the guy but I'd rather an experienced head in as manager

I'm Spartacus
31-08-2023, 10:05 PM
The one man I could never turn against <3

What he's done for our club can, and will, never be forgotten, not least stepping up 3 times to drag us out the gutter from multiple poor recruitment rounds.

Thank you SDG.

Stanton Spence
31-08-2023, 10:11 PM
I’m not advocating SDG for the job but what I did notice is we looked a lot more organised and seemed to have a plan and we tried to play to our strengths tonight and there was a difference
We embarrassed ourselves at Easter Road but we didn’t tonight although I take into account that the game was a dead rubber etc

HarpOnHibee
31-08-2023, 10:12 PM
I would like to see Sir David Gray managing at a lower level first to allow him to pick up some managerial experience. The man has a good head on him (no pun intended :wink:) and is more than capable of managing a club like ours with enough experience.

KWJ
31-08-2023, 10:17 PM
Deffo not, he had plenty time to make a difference before and needs to be cleaned out with everyone else, time to let a new coach bring their own team in

David Gray should never be cleaned out of the club.

The Tubs
31-08-2023, 10:18 PM
If he wanted it, he'd be my first choice. My second is McGregor with Gray assisting.

Stanton Spence
31-08-2023, 10:22 PM
David Gray should never be cleaned out of the club.

I don’t even know why any hibs fan would even use that term even if they did want him out of a job strange

Unseen work
31-08-2023, 10:24 PM
Not for me, but he set us up well tonight.

I wish you could almost send coaches out on loan.

Send him out on loan to a team for X amount of time with the view to coming back as manager one day.

matty_f
31-08-2023, 10:27 PM
I think the next guy we get in as manager needs to be the type that that can pull performances like that out of the players.

Tactically sound tonight, he made a brave team selection (more than a couple of messages came my way when the line up was announced to complain) and the players gave him everything.

If he can repeat that on Sunday then he’s done all he can.

The question is whether he can set the team up to put that effort into an attacking performance over 90 minutes domestically.

I find it hard to believe that a management team of SDG and Daz wouldn’t have played running through walls for the team.

Donegal Hibby
31-08-2023, 11:08 PM
I'm not saying that SDG should get the Hibs job though I thought he got the team right and the tactics , players give everything and showed great spirit and character, maybe we've been lacking that of late .

Interesting to see how we do up in pittodrie . Think a positive result might give McDermott and kensell another option for there managerial list . Post match SDG here .
https://youtu.be/GgOE26gF474?si=K9ugODKpCkJWtcMC

SeanWilson
31-08-2023, 11:19 PM

No.

B.H.F.C
31-08-2023, 11:28 PM
I think the next guy we get in as manager needs to be the type that that can pull performances like that out of the players.

Tactically sound tonight, he made a brave team selection (more than a couple of messages came my way when the line up was announced to complain) and the players gave him everything.

If he can repeat that on Sunday then he’s done all he can.

The question is whether he can set the team up to put that effort into an attacking performance over 90 minutes domestically.

I find it hard to believe that a management team of SDG and Daz wouldn’t have played running through walls for the team.

Not a criticism of SDG really, but I didn’t think he got anything special out of them tonight. Villa played it as a training game. I thought we did well enough (better than last week and we should never have been 2-0 down at half time) but I definitely didn’t walk away thinking he’d dragged a performance out of the players.

Granted it was lack of quality that did for us more than anything and we were definitely more organised than last week.

What totally rules him out, for me, is if he were still to pick Marshall on Sunday.

FRes Hibbie
31-08-2023, 11:40 PM
It’d be great if SDG was a success as our manager one day. We should not be the level he cuts his teeth at though.

How bad would it be if we had to sack him after 6 months if he clearly wasn’t up to it?

Allant1981
01-09-2023, 05:15 AM
I’m not advocating SDG for the job but what I did notice is we looked a lot more organised and seemed to have a plan and we tried to play to our strengths tonight and there was a difference
We embarrassed ourselves at Easter Road but we didn’t tonight although I take into account that the game was a dead rubber etc

We didn't embarrass ourselves at ER, the gulf in quality is so far apart that 5 against us shouldn't have been a shock to anyone

Crammond Hibee
01-09-2023, 05:47 AM
i thought even though we were beat tonight we give it a good go against superior opposition. If we get a positive result against aberdeen should we consider sdg as hibs manager , thoughts ?

no !!!!!!

Crammond Hibee
01-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Not for me. See Robson at Aberdeen. One league win since April after the new manager bounce and blown their best ever chance at the Europa League. I'd rather get a real manager and not a coach.

Agreed

Stanton Spence
01-09-2023, 05:52 AM
We didn't embarrass ourselves at ER, the gulf in quality is so far apart that 5 against us shouldn't have been a shock to anyone

Your no doubt spot on but I felt slightly embarrassed to be even playing against a side who are that far ahead in every department and I wonder if the conference league would actually be a better competition without any teams from the big five leagues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxy
01-09-2023, 07:40 AM
I wonder if SDG would take the job for an extended spell if the players really responded to him?
Who knows what the magic formula is that makes a successful manager but SDG could have it for all we know.

Northernhibee
01-09-2023, 07:46 AM
I wonder if SDG would take the job for an extended spell if the players really responded to him?
Who knows what the magic formula is that makes a successful manager but SDG could have it for all we know.

If we get a result against Aberdeen I'd be tempted to slow down the recruitment process just a little, see how players respond to him over the international break and give him the game after it too.

If that was a Montgomery, McInnes, Robinson who got so much of a notable improvement out of the squad in half a week we'd all be pretty optimistic.

JimBHibees
01-09-2023, 07:46 AM

I think we did in regard to the shambolic goals we conceded and how disorganised we looked. Clear contrast to last night in terms of organisation.

J-C
01-09-2023, 07:48 AM
This is also all dependant on Gray wanting the job right now, he may want to continue his coaching development.

Allant1981
01-09-2023, 08:03 AM
I think we did in regard to the shambolic goals we conceded and how disorganised we looked. Clear contrast to last night in terms of organisation.

Some of the defending was crap but really good teams make not so good teams look even worse. If we were playing a junior side we would be the same no doubt

Northernhibee
01-09-2023, 08:05 AM

We conceded the same goal four times in the first leg. It was five going on fifteen.

Last night flattered Villa and we were unfortunate not to score.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-09-2023, 08:11 AM
Not a criticism of SDG really, but I didn’t think he got anything special out of them tonight. Villa played it as a training game. I thought we did well enough (better than last week and we should never have been 2-0 down at half time) but I definitely didn’t walk away thinking he’d dragged a performance out of the players.

Granted it was lack of quality that did for us more than anything and we were definitely more organised than last week.

What totally rules him out, for me, is if he were still to pick Marshall on Sunday.

Sounds about right.

Onion
01-09-2023, 08:21 AM
No. SDG is a Legend who deserves to remain that.

Hope he transforms us into a winning team for Sunday but eventually these players will just add him to the list of sacked managers within a season. The Board need to do their job and bring in a seasoned, experienced, winning manager who is able to work with the mix of raw talent and sub-standard players at Hibs, weed out the chaff, help recruit better, and build us back into a decent team that clubs fear to play. Giving SDG the job would be a cop out.

Victor
01-09-2023, 08:21 AM
I don’t know where this ‘Villa were treating it as a training game’ comes from. As was highlighted in the Villa TV commentary, Villa were expecting us to play like we did last week, with us closing them down and creating spaces for them to exploit. When that didn’t happen they had to resort to Plan B which wasn’t so effective for them. We were really well organised and kept our shape. If it wasn’t for individual errors (as always) it could easily have been 0-0 at half-time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CentreLine
01-09-2023, 08:22 AM

With our “second choice” keeper injured I don’t think any manager is leaving David Marshall out. He needs to get us to the international break and hopefully thing settle down from there. Nobody, especially a stand in manager, can be criticised for picking him short term.

B.H.F.C
01-09-2023, 08:25 AM
With our “second choice” keeper injured I don’t think any manager is leaving David Marshall out. He needs to get us to the international break and hopefully thing settle down from there. Nobody, especially a stand in manager, can be criticised for picking him short term.

He regularly costs us goals.

Dropping him gives us a better chance of winning.

Northernhibee
01-09-2023, 08:26 AM
No. SDG is a Legend who deserves to remain that.

Hope he transforms us into a winning team for Sunday but eventually these players will just add him to the list of sacked managers within a season. The Board need to do their job and bring in a seasoned, experienced, winning manager who is able to work with the mix of raw talent and sub-standard players at Hibs, weed out the chaff, help recruit better, and build us back into a decent team that clubs fear to play. Giving SDG the job would be a cop out.

If he was to be showing signs that he has the knowledge, talent, and ability to transform us it seems ludicrous to deny him the opportunity to do that because he's a club legend, no?

We can't take it out of consideration because we're worried about the worst case scenario about it.

JimBHibees
01-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Deserves great credit for the way he set up the team and handled himself. 👏

Dashing Bob S
01-09-2023, 08:39 AM
If we get a result against Aberdeen I'd be tempted to slow down the recruitment process just a little, see how players respond to him over the international break and give him the game after it too.

If that was a Montgomery, McInnes, Robinson who got so much of a notable improvement out of the squad in half a week we'd all be pretty optimistic.

Good shout. Seemed to be the green shoots of the passion and organisation we need. A strange set of circumstances though, lets see if he can deliver this in the league.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
A solid performance last night despite the result

Maybes we should hang fire and see how the team performs on Sunday?

Thought SDG handled himself well throughout

Northernhibee
01-09-2023, 08:44 AM
Good shout. Seemed to be the green shoots of the passion and organisation we need. A strange set of circumstances though, lets see if he can deliver this in the league.

His first game in management - a cup final against a rampant Celtic team - seen his game plan nearly work. Absorbed all the pressure first half, we took our chance from a set piece and went ahead.

I'm still baffled as to why there wasn't time given to let the smoke screen created from Celtic fans pyro wasn't given time to dissipate (other than Glasgow Football Association) into which a goal was conceded, and THAT decision to allow a quick free kick when a sub was looking to be made cost us.

Although it wasn't consistent, he did get us out of a tailspin that had us hurtling towards a potential relegation dogfight, and a few young players got their first team debut under him. He even got goals out of James Scott.

My mind keeps changing, for just now Montgomery is my favourite option, but I wouldn't discount SDG at all. He's shown he has something about him in very difficult circumstances.

Onion
01-09-2023, 09:04 AM
If he was to be showing signs that he has the knowledge, talent, and ability to transform us it seems ludicrous to deny him the opportunity to do that because he's a club legend, no?

We can't take it out of consideration because we're worried about the worst case scenario about it.

If this was end of season, then all for giving SDG time to prove what he can do but we're bottom of the league and in dire need of experience and stability. He's the cheapest, lowest hanging fruit and a lazy option for a Board which has a record of failure. If he does get the job, it has to be after the Board has done everything in its power to ID and bring in their top candidate.

The ability of this squad to have managers sacked is formidable :greengrin

CentreLine
01-09-2023, 09:09 AM
He regularly costs us goals.

Dropping him gives us a better chance of winning.

Understand that but we have a backup (probably intended to be first choice) who pinged his hamstring. Has to be a fair chance he’ll be back after the international break. Marshall is probably (unfortunately) still our second best option and only one game to take in to account. My point was really about being overly critical of SDG if he keeps Marshall to see us to the break.
All that could change today, of course, with the transfer deadline approaching

Northernhibee
01-09-2023, 09:10 AM
If this was end of season, then all for giving SDG time to prove what he can do but we're bottom of the league and in dire need of experience and stability. He's the cheapest, lowest hanging fruit and a lazy option for a Board which has a record of failure. If he does get the job, it has to be after the Board has done everything in its power to ID and bring in their top candidate.

The ability of this squad to have managers sacked is formidable :greengrin

He does offer experience - he's been a part of the coaching team for a while, knows the club inside and out, and has managed us in a cup final, in Europe, and he certainly offers stability. It may be low hanging fruit, but it's low hanging fruit for a reason.

I'm not so sure it's experience we need, it's talent.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2023, 09:11 AM
His first game in management - a cup final against a rampant Celtic team - seen his game plan nearly work. Absorbed all the pressure first half, we took our chance from a set piece and went ahead.

I'm still baffled as to why there wasn't time given to let the smoke screen created from Celtic fans pyro wasn't given time to dissipate (other than Glasgow Football Association) into which a goal was conceded, and THAT decision to allow a quick free kick when a sub was looking to be made cost us.

Although it wasn't consistent, he did get us out of a tailspin that had us hurtling towards a potential relegation dogfight, and a few young players got their first team debut under him. He even got goals out of James Scott.

My mind keeps changing, for just now Montgomery is my favourite option, but I wouldn't discount SDG at all. He's shown he has something about him in very difficult circumstances.

Re the League Cup Final I thought that at the time re the pyrotechnics and from my lofty position at the back of The Rangers end through the green mist I could clearly see that Kyogo was miles offside for both goals and Celtic were praying for the final whistle with 20 minutes to go

Robbed I tell ya !

Robbed !

matty_f
01-09-2023, 09:13 AM
I think when SDG and Daz were given their 4 year deals as they reached the end of their playing days, it was done with an eye on them gaining coaching experience at the club as a sort of “grow your own” management for the future.

It was a good idea, imho, but only worth doing if you actually give them a chance to manage.

In an ideal world of succession planning and continuity, with good Hibs people in charge, they’d step in and do a great job and we’d take the same approach with Hanlon and Stevenson if they wanted it, get them coaching in the club to get experience at that level and then take over when SDG and Daz get the Scotland or Man City job 😁

Onion
01-09-2023, 09:17 AM
He does offer experience - he's been a part of the coaching team for a while, knows the club inside and out, and has managed us in a cup final, in Europe, and he certainly offers stability. It may be low hanging fruit, but it's low hanging fruit for a reason.

I'm not so sure it's experience we need, it's talent.

Despite all that, no one has been talking about SDG as a serious candidate until this morning *. We need both, and more.

* Source : Hibs.net Poll at 0.64% for SDG (2 fans).

nonshinyfinish
01-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Despite all that, no one has been talking about SDG as a serious candidate until this morning *. We need both, and more.

* Source : Hibs.net Poll at 0.64% for SDG (2 fans).

If we're going by that poll then Tam McManus is twice as likely.

Crammond Hibee
01-09-2023, 09:45 PM
David did what he did for Hibs and that will never be forgotten
But he is a coach not a manager

Glory Lurker
01-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Like most folk on here, I remember the pain of Sauzee's emptying and he wasn't remotely as important to our club's history as Sir David. I don't think he wants the job but even if he does I don't want him to get it. Not yet. He can come back and lead us to the treble in a few years once he's cut his teeth!

JimBHibees
01-09-2023, 10:05 PM
David did what he did for Hibs and that will never be forgotten
But he is a coach not a manager

Says who

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2023, 08:10 AM

I thought the way LJ set us up was the reason they embarrassed us,we were always losing the match, but setting us up the way he did made it much easier for a brilliant side to do so.

JimBHibees
02-09-2023, 08:14 AM
I thought the way LJ set us up was the reason they embarrassed us,we were always losing the match, but setting us up the way he did made it much easier for a brilliant side to do so.

Absolutely spot on

Since452
02-09-2023, 10:09 AM

Their 2nd string beat us 3-0 in 1st gear without LJ there. Don't think losing 5-0 to their strongest team was anything to do with how we were set up personally. Poor defending and a gulf in class was more the issue.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2023, 10:31 AM
Their 2nd string beat us 3-0 in 1st gear without LJ there. Don't think losing 5-0 to their strongest team was anything to do with how we were set up personally. Poor defending and a gulf in class was more the issue.

I personally dont think surrendering the wide areas when you cant defend crosses is a wise thing to do, especially when they can put a cross in on a sixpence, it's obviously much harder to play through a team than just give them carte blanche in an area of the pitch they are so good at.

They might well have cut us open and still won 5-0 maybe more, but to watch what was happening over and over and not rectify it was horrible management from the man, and contributed to an embarrassing performance from us.

Stubbsy90+2
02-09-2023, 10:39 AM
I personally dont think surrendering the wide areas when you cant defend crosses is a wise thing to do, especially when they can put a cross in on a sixpence, it's obviously much harder to play through a team than just give them carte blanche in an area of the pitch they are so good at.

They might well have cut us open and still won 5-0 maybe more, but to watch what was happening over and over and not rectify it was horrible management from the man, and contributed to an embarrassing performance from us.

:agree:

Donegal Hibby
02-09-2023, 10:44 AM

I don't either tbh . Both the huns and hertz were hammered by teams not as good as the one we played . That Villa team would give any team in our league a doing imo .

J-C
02-09-2023, 03:40 PM

Totally different tactics on Thursday and we gave them a few wee scares, 3-0 actually flattered them a bit, the team was far more organised and knew exactly what they had to do, it was night and day from the 1st leg, 2 goals were down to poor keeping from Marshall and not being outplayed.