PDA

View Full Version : Gray and McGregor

keep the faith
28-08-2023, 03:42 PM
That would be my pick. Lewis part of the management team too.
Whoever gets the gig will not have any budget left for their own players, so we need a management team to get the best out of what we have.
Gray and Daz understand how to set up a defence and defend crosses- a huge priority for us now. They understand the club and the demands. Daz has been with the development squad the last 18 months so who better to understand what we have there and finally transition to the full squad.
Another reality is cost too. Another manager paid off and comp from killie or St mirren for a new one will be significant.
I know I may be on my own here, but its a pragmatic option.

duffers
28-08-2023, 03:45 PM
No thanks.

Love them, but they ain’t ready

Cat Stanton
28-08-2023, 03:47 PM
Whoever gets the gig will not have any budget left for their own players, so we need a management team to get the best out of what we have.
Gray and Daz understand how to set up a defence and defend crosses- a huge priority for us now. They understand the club and the demands. Daz has been with the development squad the last 18 months so who better to understand what we have there and finally transition to the full squad.
Another reality is cost too. Another manager paid off and comp from killie or St mirren for a new one will be significant.

David Gray is everyone's hero. But his previous stints as interim manager didn't have anyone screaming for him to be made permanent.

A Hi-Bee
28-08-2023, 03:48 PM
No thanks, perhaps in 5 or so years time.

Daily Hibs
28-08-2023, 03:49 PM
Absolutely not.

We need someone with no connection to the club but knows the Scottish game.

Renfrew_Hibby
Neither Gray or Lewis strike me as management types.
Sir David obviously keen to develop as a coach but that's where it stops. Not sure about Lewis but I can see him away from football all together when he retires.
Big Daz on the otherhand... could be a more cultured and astute version of John Hughes.

HendoDelivered
🤣🤣 nah

Irish_Steve
28-08-2023, 03:51 PM
SDG has said on numerous occasions that he does want the job full time

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2023, 03:53 PM

Why has our defense only got worse since Gray has been a coach, then? Its just not true that good defenders can actually coach a defense as managers.

6-2MAGIC
28-08-2023, 03:55 PM
Nah, not for me. Already had our hands burnt with Maloney. We need someone with a bit of experience.

Pretty Boy
28-08-2023, 03:59 PM
No way.

Putting sentiment aside there is almost no argument to be made for the 3 of them getting the job.

Smartie
28-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Why has our defense only got worse since Gray has been a coach, then? Its just not true that good defenders can actually coach a defense as managers.

Because we don't have players like Gray, McGregor and Ambrose playing in it?

Smartie
28-08-2023, 04:03 PM
Nah, not for me. Already had our hands burnt with Maloney. We need someone with a bit of experience.

Gray already has close hand experience of several ways to dick managing Hibs up, which must count for something.

the_ginger_hibee
28-08-2023, 04:06 PM
SDG has said on numerous occasions that he does want the job full time

No surprise really. Job for life with 0 accountability, watching as the ideas and work you contribute leads to yet more on the pitch failure & yet another sacking of your colleagues. Cushy number.

Vault Boy
28-08-2023, 04:10 PM
Lewis has been quite open about wanting to coach kids when his time is up as he’s not outgoing enough to go into senior management or the like.

LunasBoots
28-08-2023, 04:26 PM
No, we've seen Gray in a caretaker role and it wasn't great either, not ready

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Because we don't have players like Gray, McGregor and Ambrose playing in it?

Gray was, in my opinion, never a better defender than Hanlon or Stevenson anyway. Levels below Ambrose.

Legend no doubt, but he is woefully under qualified to be our manager.

Daily Hibs
28-08-2023, 04:31 PM
No surprise really. Job for life with 0 accountability, watching as the ideas and work you contribute leads to yet more on the pitch failure & yet another sacking of your colleagues. Cushy number.

Will be Lewy and Hanlon in the same position soon.

lugz
28-08-2023, 04:35 PM
No no no no no, can we stop this ex player nonsense, all that would happen there is they'd end up sacked and tanting their legacies.

Sir David is honestly the last person I want to get the job.

Daily Hibs
28-08-2023, 04:38 PM
No no no no no, can we stop this ex player nonsense, all that would happen there is they'd end up sacked and tanting their legacies.

Sir David is honestly the last person I want to get the job.

Sensible post. Many on here have this fascination with keeping these guys around the club but I dont see how it benefits us and actually think it does us more harm than good.

Let's be honest we are a football club that is trying to be successful. Its sport and we need to be competitive as possible and that means getting the best people in for every position.

Box 17
28-08-2023, 04:39 PM
Let them learn their trade at East Fife or Dumbarton, or somewhere similar, and see how they get on.

Smartie
28-08-2023, 04:43 PM
No, we've seen Gray in a caretaker role and it wasn't great either, not ready

I see quite a lot of folk saying this and I don't really get why. Every time he's had to do it he's inherited a team in a bit of a mess and his remit didn't seem to be that it was an audition for the main role rather than to hold the fort until someone else came in. His selections have generally been continuity, going with what went before.

And what we don't know is what he might have been doing in the background to prepare for a manager's role. I'm always mindful that Mowbray was probably our most successful appointment and he'd only had experience as a coach prior to joining us. I don't have a problem with someone getting the Hibs job as their first job, as long as their experience leading up to that has been appropriate and they intend to have the right types around them.

h1bs4life
28-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Sensible post. Many on here have this fascination with keeping these guys around the club but I dont see how it benefits us and actually think it does us more harm than good.

Let's be honest we are a football club that is trying to be successful. Its sport and we need to be competitive as possible and that means getting the best people in for every position.

Totally agree love Sir David , looking forward to his testimonial dinner on 09/09/23 and Big Daz but what have they or anyone still at the club done to make people think they would be a good management team.
If they are wanting to be 1st team coaches / managers they should be going elsewhere to learn there trade and if good enough they will come back.

Lago
28-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Gray was, in my opinion, never a better defender than Hanlon or Stevenson anyway. Levels below Ambrose.

Legend no doubt, but he is woefully under qualified to be our manager.
Totally agree

500miles
28-08-2023, 05:47 PM
I see quite a lot of folk saying this and I don't really get why. Every time he's had to do it he's inherited a team in a bit of a mess and his remit didn't seem to be that it was an audition for the main role rather than to hold the fort until someone else came in. His selections have generally been continuity, going with what went before.

And what we don't know is what he might have been doing in the background to prepare for a manager's role. I'm always mindful that Mowbray was probably our most successful appointment and he'd only had experience as a coach prior to joining us. I don't have a problem with someone getting the Hibs job as their first job, as long as their experience leading up to that has been appropriate and they intend to have the right types around them.

Gray has done quite well given the circumstances of his previous caretaker roles. In fact if you look at the results he got with the players available, he got a 4 0 win in his last game with a forward line of Scott, Melkersen and Henderson.

I think his overall record is 3 wins 2 draws and 3 losses ( including the cip final to celtic)

ScottB
28-08-2023, 05:49 PM
He’s set piece coach isn’t he? Not sure you can blame him for our defence being ****

brog
28-08-2023, 05:52 PM

What does SDG have to do with our defence?

500miles
28-08-2023, 05:57 PM
He’s set piece coach isn’t he? Not sure you can blame him for our defence being ****

Attacking set pieces I think, but I also believe he does 1 to 1 stuff as he was credited with Campbell bagging so many goals.

ian cruise
28-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Let them learn their trade at East Fife or Dumbarton, or somewhere similar, and see how they get on.

Thing is, we never look at managers who are successful at this level for our manager. Current process seems to be high profile players going straight in to management or becoming coaches them straight to high profile management (relative to the level they played at) then dropping down.

SeanWilson
28-08-2023, 06:06 PM

No.

jacomo
28-08-2023, 06:19 PM
No thanks.

Love them, but they ain’t ready

How do we know that?

HibbyAndy
28-08-2023, 06:31 PM
Lewis Stevenson on his ain as Manager , He doesn't need a number 2 he IS the number 1 and number 2 rolled into 1 :cb

Only guy i ken that keeps his eyes open when sneezing , No brainer

leithsansiro
28-08-2023, 06:35 PM
Love them, but none of the cup winning team should ever touch the Hibs job with a barge pole. It’d only tarnish their reputation, which I think is already beginning to happen to SDG given the number of failed back room staff teams he’s been in

matty_f
28-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Why not Sir David Gray and Daz? Think both are qualified, SDG has had an apprenticeship under 3 different managers at the club but has also worked under one of the game’s greatest ever managers at Man United, albeit not directly for long.

McGregor has been working on his coaching over the last couple of seasons.

Aberdeen took Barry Robson, what makes us so different that we’d turn our noses up at SDG and Daz? Assuming that’s the set up they want.

They know Scottish football inside out. They know Hibs as well as anyone. They’re popular but tough figures, very highly respected.

Why can’t this be their time?

Not necessarily saying this is what I would do, but i think there’s a strong case for them.

Smartie
28-08-2023, 07:21 PM
Love them, but none of the cup winning team should ever touch the Hibs job with a barge pole. It’d only tarnish their reputation, which I think is already beginning to happen to SDG given the number of failed back room staff teams he’s been in

I don't really buy the "tarnish the reputation" stuff at all.

If you took a poll of Hibbies and asked them what they thought of Blackley, Stanton, Mixu or Sauzee, would anybody suggest that their legacies were tarnished?

Of the golden generation who returned for a second spell that turned out not to be quite as effective as the first, did they tarnish anything?

I think most adults appreciate when someone comes and tries their best for our club. It would need to be a proper car crash tenure with some poor behaviour and then outstaying their welcome for it to really tarnish anything.

I for one appreciate David Gray's current efforts.

CapitalGreen
28-08-2023, 07:39 PM
I don't really buy the "tarnish the reputation" stuff at all.

If you took a poll of Hibbies and asked them what they thought of Blackley, Stanton, Mixu or Sauzee, would anybody suggest that their legacies were tarnished?

Of the golden generation who returned for a second spell that turned out not to be quite as effective as the first, did they tarnish anything?

I think most adults appreciate when someone comes and tries their best for our club. It would need to be a proper car crash tenure with some poor behaviour and then outstaying their welcome for it to really tarnish anything.

I for one appreciate David Gray's current efforts.

You missed Yogi from you examples and that list is doing little to convince me that we should hire another ex-player as manager.

Callum_62
28-08-2023, 07:42 PM
Personally, I wouldn't

I want a manager that has at least some experience of doing it

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

ian cruise
28-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Why not Sir David Gray and Daz? Think both are qualified, SDG has had an apprenticeship under 3 different managers at the club but has also worked under one of the game’s greatest ever managers at Man United, albeit not directly for long.

Aberdeen took Barry Robson, what makes us so different that we’d turn our noses up at SDG and Daz? Assuming that’s the set up they want.

They know Scottish football inside out. They know Hibs as well as anyone. They’re popular but tough figures, very highly respected.

Not necessarily saying this is what I would do, but i think there’s a strong case for them.

If we look at the overwhelming sentiment on this board when Aberdeen appointed Robson and Hearts appointed Naismith it suggests our support wouldn't give them much time to find their feet. Additionally it looks like Robson's new manager bounce has begun to wane already.

jacomo
28-08-2023, 08:00 PM
You missed Yogi from you examples and that list is doing little to convince me that we should hire another ex-player as manager.

I think Smartie’s point is valid. The fans who remember Yogi as a player would no doubt happily blether with him about that, his stint as manager didn’t end on a high note but he’s hardly unique in that.

Greenworld
28-08-2023, 08:14 PM
It's a massive no from Me. David gray has been very we treated by the club rightly so but I think his time is coming to a end.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

jeffers
28-08-2023, 08:20 PM
It's a massive no from Me. David gray has been very we treated by the club rightly so but I think his time is coming to a end.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Very well treated ? In what way exactly ?

timewilltell
28-08-2023, 08:23 PM
I know I may be on my own here, but it’s pragmatic option.

Sentimental nonsense….

jacomo
28-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Sentimental nonsense….

Why? Naismith and Robson had no more experience when they took over at Hearts and Aberdeen and both are doing better than us.

matty_f
28-08-2023, 08:45 PM
Why? Naismith and Robson had no more experience when they took over at Hearts and Aberdeen and both are doing better than us.

If anything i think SDG has more coaching experience than them.

I get the idea that they should cut their teeth elsewhere but if they do that, they’d need to hope to get a job at a bigger small club like Partick, Raith, Dunfermline etc but the chances of them getting that AND also getting a record there that’s sufficient for us as a support to shoo them into the job when it comes up next, are really slim. Even if they do well.

Players getting into management generally need a break and to be in the right place at the right time. I think if they don’t get it this time, they probably never will.

CapitalGreen
28-08-2023, 08:54 PM

1 win in 8 league games Barry Robson?

2 wins in 8 league games Steven Naismith?

at last 61
29-08-2023, 12:35 PM
Tin hat on here but what does sdg actually do at Easter road, is he not supposed to be the defence coach

Hibernian Verse
29-08-2023, 12:37 PM

Oh what I'd do for 2 points on the board. Aberdeen really are setting the heather alight.

Roxyhibee
29-08-2023, 12:40 PM
Tin hat on here but what does sdg actually do at Easter road, is he not supposed to be the defence coach

We were wondering this - is this Gray’s actual role at the club..? If it is, we clearly need someone else to take over that job asap.!

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 05:22 PM

Absolutely not. They are nowhere near experienced enough.

I fear for the club's Premier status if they are appointed.

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 05:24 PM

If so, how can he possibly even be considered to be next manager.

Madness if so.

Torto7
30-08-2023, 05:27 PM
I've got any of Gray, Lenny and McInnis as acceptable.

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Interestingly only 1 vote for Gray on the poll thread.

Clear front runners are

McInnes
Lennon
O'Neill

Scooter
30-08-2023, 05:51 PM
After watching his interview. If there's no one who currently stands out. Then I'd rather give David the chance

Greenbeard
30-08-2023, 06:02 PM
After watching his interview. If there's no one who currently stands out. Then I'd rather give David the chance
I thought the opposite. Seemed uncomfortable, lacking in confidence and gravitas. But I grant you, he shouldn't be judged on how well he comes across in an interview.

Just Alf
30-08-2023, 06:07 PM
We were wondering this - is this Gray’s actual role at the club..? If it is, we clearly need someone else to take over that job asap.!He's the set piece coach.

Someone mentioned the other day that stats wise we were 2nd only to Celtic last season on that aspect.

Onion
30-08-2023, 06:08 PM
It's a No from me. Few ex-players end up as successful managers. Frank Sauzee's appointment still sends a shiver, and destroyed his relationship with the club. Would hate to see that happen with SDG.

RossScott1991
30-08-2023, 06:13 PM
Why can’t we stop crosses and concede soo many with Gray as a coach that’s what I’d want to know never mind him being manager

green day
30-08-2023, 06:18 PM
Why can’t we stop crosses and concede soo many with Gray as a coach that’s what I’d want to know never mind him being manager

He isnt the defence coach................

superfurryhibby
30-08-2023, 06:20 PM

He doesn’t get to sign, then choose the players or formations maybe?

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 06:21 PM

Would be a boys club appointment if it happened.

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 06:23 PM

Why is he saying its a "great occasion" tie is over, we lost 5-0 at home and are 5-0 down on aggregate.

Callum_62
30-08-2023, 06:23 PM
Why is he saying its a "great occasion" tie is over, we lost 5-0 at home and are 5-0 down on aggregate.The reaction if Lee Johnson said that [emoji23]

Scooter
30-08-2023, 06:25 PM
Why is he saying its a "great occasion" tie is over, we lost 5-0 at home and are 5-0 down on aggregate.

Because they players may never get the chance as individuals to play in a Premiership stadium against Premiership opposition again. So for them it is still a great occasion

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2023, 06:27 PM

Because we have a chance to pull off either the biggest comeback in world fitba history, or record the biggest aggregate loss.

Of course it's a great occasion.

500miles
30-08-2023, 06:30 PM

Surely this has been posted and answered so many times in the last few days the next person who asks gets a ban for trolling?!:wink:

Lago
30-08-2023, 06:33 PM
The reaction if Lee Johnson said that [emoji23]

Slavering springs to mind

J-C
30-08-2023, 06:39 PM
For the umpteenth time Gray is the set piece coach and the attacking set piece stats were 2nd behind Celtic last season, he had nothing to do with the defence.

Hibi
30-08-2023, 06:44 PM
Because they players may never get the chance as individuals to play in a Premiership stadium against Premiership opposition again. So for them it is still a great occasion

Exactly. Also the fact thousands of hibs fans are making the journey would be another indication of it being a big occasion.

CapitalGreen
30-08-2023, 06:45 PM
For the umpteenth time Gray is the set piece coach and the attacking set piece stats were 2nd behind Celtic last season, he had nothing to do with the defence.

Is that all he does? Just the set pieces? Like what does he do the rest of the time when we aren’t working on set pieces? Is he our Austin McPhee?

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Is that all he does? Just the set pieces? Like what does he do the rest of the time when we aren’t working on set pieces? Is he our Austin McPhee?

Sets the table for lunch, obvs.

With all the salt and pepper cellars in the right places.....

J-C
30-08-2023, 06:50 PM

Does one on one sessions with some players, credited for Campbell scoring more goals last season.

Mikey_1875
30-08-2023, 06:50 PM
Has anyone got a link to the stat for goals from set pieces last season? I’d also be interested to see how we performed in the goals conceded from set plays as well. I’d assume SDG would be responsible for that as well?

Can’t find much on google.