PDA

View Full Version : Highlights and Lows of the LJ Era

SouthMoroccoStu
28-08-2023, 08:05 AM
Just sitting and wondering what were the best and worst games/results of lee Johnson's tenure

Highs

1-0 vs Hearts
6-0 Aberdeen
1-4 Livi
3-1 Luzern

Lows

Back to back 3-0 Hearts
Never near the OF

What are yours?

Heisenberg
28-08-2023, 08:07 AM
League cup groups exit. A horrific start that he never recovered from. Think you’ve covered that main positives

jeffers
28-08-2023, 08:08 AM
Yesterday morning around 10.

LaMotta
28-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Celtic 4-2 and Luzern 2-2 highs as well. Far too many lows though.

Diclonius
28-08-2023, 08:34 AM
Highs: Derby win, 6-0 v Aberdeen, Celtic win, Luzern win.
Lows: Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Northernhibee
28-08-2023, 09:01 AM
This thread will end up being the perfect epitaph for the LJ era.

When we were good we looked like world beaters.

When we were bad, the less said the better.

Very little in between the two and you can’t run a football team like that.

B.H.F.C
28-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Incredible that we ended up worse off for beating Aberdeen 6-0. Kind of sums things up that!

WhileTheChief..
28-08-2023, 09:23 AM
:tumble:

Not In The Know
28-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Highs

1-0 vs Hearts ( bare minimum expected)
6-0 Aberdeen (horrendous Aberdeen display who had downed tools)
1-4 Livi
Luzern tie
Celtic home win

Lows (in no particular order)

Beaten by EVERY team in the league last year.
Back to back 3-0 Hearts
Pumped by the Oldfirm (apart from once)
Out the league cup, pumped by postmen.
Inter defeat, pumped by postmen.
1-1 at tiny castle last game of the season. (terrible tactics and subs)
Throwing players under the bus...
Constantly being embarrassed every time he had an interview and the resulting snide remarks from pundits. "Ball manipulators!!!"
no doubt more will come to mind

He's here!
28-08-2023, 04:39 PM
Just sitting and wondering what were the best and worst games/results of lee Johnson's tenure

Highs

1-0 vs Hearts
6-0 Aberdeen
1-4 Livi
3-1 Luzern

Lows

Back to back 3-0 Hearts
Never near the OF

What are yours?

We beat Celtic 4-2, drew 2-2 with Rangers and lost 3-2 at Ibrox after twice being ahead. We rarely do much better than that against the OF over the course of a season.

The highlight for me was probably the 6-0 win over Aberdeen, largely because it was so unexpected.

Lowlight was the way we went from being a regular fixture in the latter stages of cups to being utterly anonymous.

HendoDelivered
28-08-2023, 04:41 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣

J-C
28-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Highs are Aberdeen 6-0 and Luzern 3-1, lows getting gubbed by Hearts in the cup and losing too easily to teams like Livingston, Dundee U etc, on a regular basis.

Broken Gnome
28-08-2023, 05:23 PM
No one overriding low, more that the performance I first saw at home to Ross County last season in the 0-2 wasn't a one-off. We might've scraped a result on occasion, but we saw it again against Dundee United at home, St Mirren at home, Tynecastle, that embarrassment against Rangers at home, half of Raith at home, Motherwell away...

Too many to mention.

28-08-2023, 08:12 PM
The players will miss his training sessions.

https://i.ibb.co/hLfc4MC/14200843.png (https://ibb.co/HBdCb2X)

ehf
28-08-2023, 09:09 PM
This thread will end up being the perfect epitaph for the LJ era.

When we were good we looked like world beaters.

When we were bad, the less said the better.

Very little in between the two and you can’t run a football team like that.

Don’t think we ever looked like world beaters; the only game we won convincingly was the 6-0 against Aberdeen and they chucked it. Even the 4-1 at Livi was a bit of a fluke.

Not In The Know
28-08-2023, 09:12 PM
Don’t think we ever looked like world beaters; the only game we won convincingly was the 6-0 against Aberdeen and they chucked it. Even the 4-1 at Livi was a bit of a fluke.

Jeez when you look back, he really was terrible.

ehf
28-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Spending £250k to sign McAllister’s son last summer when we desperately needed a decent, starting CM was one of the less immediately obvious lows.

IberianHibernian
28-08-2023, 09:33 PM
Overall I never saw any improvement in the team , in fact I think we were always going backwards . People ( some Hibs fans and the press ) often question why we sacked Jack Ross . I personally think getting rid of Maloney so soon was a bigger mistake - he had a horrendous injury list and didn`t get much help with signings yet still got some reasonable results and we were progressing , albeit slowly . Instead we spent a fortune getting rid of Maloney and bringing in LJ and his team of coaches . Did anyone ever think LJ was a good appointment for us ? Any managerial choice is very difficult but was it not fairly obvious from the start that he would not be a success with us ?
As for LJ memories - good the 6 v 0 against Dons . Bad - the LC group matches when he arrived .

Bobby's Cinema
28-08-2023, 09:53 PM
He's had one full season with us. He's qualified for Europe through our league position and got us to the playoff round for the first time. And then hounded out after three league games :greengrin

You have to day though the inconsistency, lack of signs of a style play to beat the opposition, failure to learn from mistakes just built up.
You didn't know what you were going to get from an LJ side and there were far too many displays like this - i.e you can understand having an off day but when we were bad we were really bad.

IberianHibernian
28-08-2023, 10:07 PM
He's had one full season with us. He's qualified for Europe through our league position and got us to the playoff round for the first time. And then hounded out after three league games :greengrin

You have to day though the inconsistency, lack of signs of a style play to beat the opposition, failure to learn from mistakes just built up.
You didn't know what you were going to get from an LJ side and there were far too many displays like this - i.e you can understand having an off day but when we were bad we were really bad.True but we scraped into the top 6 ( looked like we didn`t want to at end ) then threw away 4th or even 3rd after failing in both cups .

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2023, 10:23 PM
When a 1 - 0 home win against Hearts counts as a highlight after 4 goes at them in his time at Hibs it tells you everything. The Aberdeen game was a one off, yes we were good, but they were absolutely shocking and I don't think anybody would deny it.

The absolute low was our 1 - 4 home defeat to Sevco .... in all of my time going to Easter Road I don't think I've ever seen a Hibs team so comprehensively outplayed in a domestic fixture, if it had finished 1 - 8 it genuinely wouldn't have flattered them. I'm not denying they probably played the best game of their season than night, but Hibs were absolutely woeful.

NC1875
29-08-2023, 06:10 AM
People classing a 1-0 win against Hearts as a highlight. That should be a regular occurrence.

Does anyone think Hearts would call beating us 1-0 a highlight ?

BILLYHIBS
29-08-2023, 06:14 AM
I don’t like to see anyone losing their job but with me in LJ’s case it was inevitable

He could not recognise a good footballer if his life depended on it

Failure to address a failing midfield that obviously did not click as too similar and static

Needed to bring in guile imagination mobility and attacking flair at least another two

His rabbit out of the hat marquee signing was a 36 year old crock who thanked him by slagging him off in the press

A red flag was all the promising youngsters that left after he fell out with them

I stopped watching his interviews as he just slavered a lot of pish

Highlight 2-2 Luzern

Low light 1-1 away to Hearts who down to 10 men were hanging on for one hour and we could still be playing them and not score

Did not learn from his mistakes was stubborn and reactionary

Do what you always did get what you always got

I have no faith in the current regime appointing a successful replacement that will hit the ground running and get us up the league

My choice would be a young up and coming Manager who knows the Scottish game and supports his players Stephen Robinson or McInnes

We need to get away from Charlatans that can talk the talk but not walk the walk

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2023, 06:20 AM
Johnson’s record prior to being here suggested that he should have done better. While he clearly wasn’t right for this particular job we have to identify the circumstances by which he underperformed or the next manager will probably suffer the same fate.

tonyrougier123
29-08-2023, 07:22 AM
Spending £250k to sign McAllister’s son last summer when we desperately needed a decent, starting CM was one of the less immediately obvious lows.

There’s been a lot of this type of transaction since kensall came in.
Same can be said for melkerson and hauge signings. Something not quite right about some of our business in the market.hopefully having McDermott sorts that out.

Back to Johnson though,anyone else notice the smirking in his interviews when he said stuff that was clearly a lot of toilet?

Couldnae believe how good this guy was at fooling us for so long.

Is It On....
29-08-2023, 08:54 AM

😂 That made me laugh. He only had 20 wins and that includes Inter Club and Raith Rovers. As such, there weren't too many highlights and I am glad he is no longer at the club.

Is It On....
29-08-2023, 08:56 AM
Incredible that we ended up worse off for beating Aberdeen 6-0. Kind of sums things up that!

Goodwin was massively underperforming his squad at Aberdeen and I suspect time will show that Johnson was underperforming his squad at Hibs as well.

Is It On....
29-08-2023, 09:00 AM
Johnson’s record prior to being here suggested that he should have done better. While he clearly wasn’t right for this particular job we have to identify the circumstances by which he underperformed or the next manager will probably suffer the same fate.

He has a win rate of 40% in his managerial career and at Hibs it ended up being 38.5%. As such, he performed pretty much in line with what could have been expected although, given the resources at his disposal at Hibs (top 5 budget in the country), you can argue it should have been significantly better.

Since452
29-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Highs

Derby win
6-0 Aberdeen
4-2 Celtic
3-1 Luzern
2-2 Luzern

Lows

Inter Club defeat
LC group stage exit
Back to back derby defeats within a few days

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Highs 15 league wins:thumbsup:

Lows 19 league defeats. :rolleyes:

No wonder he was called streaky:bye:

TheMentalHibees
29-08-2023, 09:15 AM
The highs you could could count on one hand. The lows? Jeezo.

- losing to every team in the league at least once (twice to the relegated Dundee Utd, the other was a draw)

- exiting league cup in the groups (blushes saved by the points deduction but we were going out anyway)

- out Scottish at first time of asking, a pumping by hearts no less

- 6 defeats out of 7 before the World Cup

- scraping into the top 6 by virtue of livi failing to beat st mirren at home before the split

- losing to the Andorran side

- 1 win in 5 against Hearts including two tankings

- the constant drivel spouted in interviews

- chucking every man and their dug under the bus after a poor performance, yet taking all the credit for a good performance

I read the posts here talking about us having games where we played great attacking football. Genuinely, what were these? Bar a few early season performances against 10 men where we were scoring goals the football was by and large absolutely rotten. The only consistent characteristic of our time under Johnson was the chronic slow starts to games where if we conceded first we usually lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
29-08-2023, 10:02 AM
Laidlaw leaving the club was a low and I'd be amazed if Johnson wasn't hugely culpable in that.

From the youth development point of view I've found the last couple of years very frustrating - we kept on hearing about how good a job Steve Kean was doing, yet none of our youth players seemed to be able to make an impact at first team level. Then we had summer 2022 when we seemed to want to spend top whack on players for the development squad (but next to f all on the first team) to get in the way of our own players progressing - and none of those signings have made a positive impact.

Maybe our youngsters just weren't good enough but there just seemed to be some sort of disconnect, and with the departures of both Kean and Johnson I have a bit more hope that we can see a more cohesive unit and a passage to the first team for our own youth players, even if it's just seeing them on our bench a bit more often.

I was impressed by Delferriere in midfield on Saturday, has he been under our noses all this time waiting for an opportunity in a position that's been a problem for us for yonks? Will he be even better with 10-15 games behind him? He doesn't look like we've been waiting for him to fill out, he's looked physically ready for ages.

Was Harbottle a better option for us at RB on Saturday than Megwa? That sort of thing...

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2023, 11:31 AM
Laidlaw leaving the club was a low and I'd be amazed if Johnson wasn't hugely culpable in that.

From the youth development point of view I've found the last couple of years very frustrating - we kept on hearing about how good a job Steve Kean was doing, yet none of our youth players seemed to be able to make an impact at first team level. Then we had summer 2022 when we seemed to want to spend top whack on players for the development squad (but next to f all on the first team) to get in the way of our own players progressing - and none of those signings have made a positive impact.

Maybe our youngsters just weren't good enough but there just seemed to be some sort of disconnect, and with the departures of both Kean and Johnson I have a bit more hope that we can see a more cohesive unit and a passage to the first team for our own youth players, even if it's just seeing them on our bench a bit more often.

I was impressed by Delferriere in midfield on Saturday, has he been under our noses all this time waiting for an opportunity in a position that's been a problem for us for yonks? Will he be even better with 10-15 games behind him? He doesn't look like we've been waiting for him to fill out, he's looked physically ready for ages.

Was Harbottle a better option for us at RB on Saturday than Megwa? That sort of thing...

Me as well, I think his contribution on Saturday has been lost on the fog of a defeat that finally got the manager sacked, I wasn't the only one left scratching my head when he was subbed off. He's always looked a tidy footballer whenever I've seen him over the last year or so and as you say he looks physically up for it.

Someone mentioned something on here that has been in my head a lot since Saturday and that is the number of games where we find ourselves 1 - 0 down and chasing the game. That is a huge problem the new manager needs to sort and it's almost certainly caused by our slow start to games which has been an issue under Johnson for yonks.

Smartie
29-08-2023, 12:13 PM
Me as well, I think his contribution on Saturday has been lost on the fog of a defeat that finally got the manager sacked, I wasn't the only one left scratching my head when he was subbed off. He's always looked a tidy footballer whenever I've seen him over the last year or so and as you say he looks physically up for it.

Someone mentioned something on here that has been in my head a lot since Saturday and that is the number of games where we find ourselves 1 - 0 down and chasing the game. That is a huge problem the new manager needs to sort and it's almost certainly caused by our slow start to games which has been an issue under Johnson for yonks.

Totally agree with this.

I was late getting in on Saturday and only got in after we were 1-0 down. I don't know how much of a shambles it was before I arrived, but from the point I arrived on, had the game been 0-0 the performance would have been largely acceptable. We were fairly in control and if we had a defence we could rely on, you'd have faith that Youan, Boyle and co could carve something out in order to win the game.

The context is very different when we're 1-0 down - there's frustration, it feels like we lack urgency as we're trying to get the equaliser early enough so that we're then set to go on and get the win.

Under Johnson more than any manager I've found myself thinking "this is pish" after 15-20 minutes, with it feeling like we're about to lose a goal in a game we shouldn't be, when you want to feel like we're properly on the front foot.

marleyhib
29-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Highs:
Luzern games, admitted really enjoyable
Celtic 4-2 (against 10 men)
Livi 4 - 1 (against 10 men)
Aberdeen 6-0 was good but Aberdeen lay down

Lows:
Losing 3-0 to Hearts 2 times in a week, unforgivable
League cup group exit, losing 3-0 at home to Morton, unforgivable
Seeing players constantly being played out of position, RB this season.
His interviews
His white trainers

Of the 15 league games we won last season, 9 were against 10 men. Could have been a lot worse.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-08-2023, 09:55 PM
Can anyone tell me what LJ learned in his time at Hibs.
He told us he saw the issues / problems to solve.
Let’s see if the next manager gets more out of the exact same players LJ had.
Could we be that the biggest irony is the biggest problem was staring at him in the mirror…

501 games. Few of the lessons were learned and acted on in his time with Hibs.

We need a manager that can learn and influence things. I’d suggest foremost someone with patience enough to get a tune out of those present at the club before going on to implement his philosophy.

Not all managers are like Ange Postacoglou…

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2023, 04:45 AM
Highs:
Luzern games, admitted really enjoyable
Celtic 4-2 (against 10 men)
Livi 4 - 1 (against 10 men)
Aberdeen 6-0 was good but Aberdeen lay down

Lows:
Losing 3-0 to Hearts 2 times in a week, unforgivable
League cup group exit, losing 3-0 at home to Morton, unforgivable
Seeing players constantly being played out of position, RB this season.
His interviews
His white trainers

Of the 15 league games we won last season, 9 were against 10 men. Could have been a lot worse.

Hibs good play was the reason those teams were down to 10.

He didn't lose 3-0 to Morton.

WestCoastHibby
30-08-2023, 05:55 AM
Ball manipulators was the last straw for me

Daily Hibs
30-08-2023, 05:47 PM
The highs you could could count on one hand. The lows? Jeezo.

- losing to every team in the league at least once (twice to the relegated Dundee Utd, the other was a draw)

- exiting league cup in the groups (blushes saved by the points deduction but we were going out anyway)

- out Scottish at first time of asking, a pumping by hearts no less

- 6 defeats out of 7 before the World Cup

- scraping into the top 6 by virtue of livi failing to beat st mirren at home before the split

- losing to the Andorran side

- 1 win in 5 against Hearts including two tankings

- the constant drivel spouted in interviews

- chucking every man and their dug under the bus after a poor performance, yet taking all the credit for a good performance

I read the posts here talking about us having games where we played great attacking football. Genuinely, what were these? Bar a few early season performances against 10 men where we were scoring goals the football was by and large absolutely rotten. The only consistent characteristic of our time under Johnson was the chronic slow starts to games where if we conceded first we usually lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, not worth looking for any positives from his time BUT we really need to learn from the LJ appointment as a club and a number of the decisions made.

Hardly any highs during his time and it really is bizarre that Aberdeen are the ones who are better off after losing 6-0 to us. A lot of people at the club have to look at themselves for that one.

delbert
31-08-2023, 12:08 PM

Agreed, the undoubted highlight of Johnson’s entire tenure was his sacking and yet some still backed him, there are none so blind………….

GreenCastle
31-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Posted this on another thread few days ago..

Last Season

League Cup ..Falkirk (part time) 1-0 loss, Greenock Morton
Livingston 2-1 loss away last season
St Mirren 1-0 loss away last season
Dundee Utd (relegated) 1- 0
Celtic 6-1 loss
St Johnstone home loss 2-1 (full stadium)
Aberdeen away 4-1 loss
Ross County home 2-0 loss
Kilmarnock away 1-0 loss
Celtic 4-0 home loss (going on 10)
Hearts away 3-0 loss
Hearts home 3-0 loss Scottish Cup
Rangers 4-1 home loss
Motherwell 3-1 home loss
Dundee Utd (relegated) 1-0 loss away

Lost to every team in league - twice to relegated Utd - x2 to Hearts - lots of goals to Rangers and Celtic. Lost to Falkirk and Greenock and eliminated from both cups very early.

Highlights - Derby win - 1v0...Getting into Europe..5th...beating Celtic 4-2 (Celtic won the league already), Livi away 4-1, Aberdeen 6-0 and 3-1 home wins, Motherwell away 3-2 win. Ross County 2-0 away win

World Cup break saved him from the sack late last year.

This Season

Inter Club - 2-1 loss
St Mirren home - 3-1 loss
Motherwell away 2-1 loss
Villa 5-0 (Villa always going to win but awful performance)
Livingston 3-2 loss

Highlights - beating Luzern in Europe at home / overall tie.

That's before you get into our keeper issues - stagnant back 4 (still relying on Hanlon and Stevenson ) - midfield which hasn't improved and still far too soft plus our striker force that includes Doidge (as much as I like him he's not the future).

Finally the lack of a single youth team player actually playing meaningful minutes and the mess of the development team which is an expensive waste of time.

Is It On....
31-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Ball manipulators was the last straw for me

Hmmmm...have to question the football intelligence of that 😂

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2023, 02:39 PM
When did Falkirk go part time?