PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree, Not PowerPoint Presentation Managers Need Apply

aberhibsfc
27-08-2023, 02:08 PM
I'm not going to go deep into our recent history, however our supportive, perhaps nieve, well meaning board, through our last two appointments appear to have been swayed by candidates whom can orally deliver soundbites pleasing to their ears.

Yes, Maloney came with a good #2 CV and plaudits, Johnson had been around clubs as the main man but a CV of 50/50 performances despite having access to good resources.

While Ron Gordon learned from Ross' exit and leaned into being more patient with the following management, his faith was tested and ultimately had no choice to remove Maloney. He again wanted to employ patience with a more experienced manager in Johnson.

While initially this was tested before moving to Johnsons 50/50 track record topped by an end of season flourish and Euro qualification, The board might be forgiven for believing if this form could continue, Johnson with a years experience and further financial backing, perhaps we could have a better than fair crack.

With the sad passing of Ron, his family were determined to continue running the club in honour of their late father's vision of professionalism, patience and financial support. We have seen investments in first team players, we have secured a DoF and had Johnson's back through poor results.

Apart from a tight timetable of early season matches, the team selections from Johnson have been mind blowing. The manner in which he left Harbottle struggle through a debut game out of position without any coaching support demonstrated to me that this was going nowhere other than badly.

At least we're only three matches in, the window is still open.

I just hope that we get a football brain in with experience and perhaps not dazzling the board with their use of the English language but by demonstrating their value on the pitch.

Again I am disappointed that the likes of Melkerson have been loaned again. I think we need to remember, players like him, Henderson, Tavares are young and at an extremely crucial point in their careers, they need support. Just because we see them fluff here and there on the pitch under Johnson doesn't definatively mean they're bad, perhaps they need better direction and support. There's a lot of good young talent at ER just now. I want that to continue, but the first team needs stronger man management.

Sorry for the verbiage, as an oldie, I prefer to watch and keep my powder dry, but had to get this off my chest.