PDA

View Full Version : Sack or Keep ?

GreenCastle
27-08-2023, 09:00 AM
Simple poll - Sack or keep.

Gorebridge Hibb
27-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Keep until international break to see where we are. If not any better then off he goes

The Spaceman
27-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Sack.

Scottie
27-08-2023, 09:04 AM
SACK. (Simple)

fife hfc
27-08-2023, 09:07 AM
Sack asap.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
27-08-2023, 09:12 AM
Keep until international break to see where we are. If not any better then off he goes

We play Villa and Aberdeen away before the break. It’s not going to get any better.

Sack

pacorosssco
27-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Sack . Today

ehf
27-08-2023, 09:19 AM
We play Villa and Aberdeen away before the break. It’s not going to get any better.

Sack

Yep, get the fraud out of our club right now.

sauzeelegod
27-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Sack

Smartie
27-08-2023, 09:23 AM
I’m going to go full Labour Party and abstain against my better judgment.

I believe you’ve got certain windows when changing the manager is fair game - 3 games into the league season with a few critical weeks of a transfer window to go isn’t one of them.

The main reason we’re struggling is because our squad is hopelessly deficient relative to the run of fixtures we’ve had. He needs to take his share of the blame for creating and then tolerating that but it’s more the past 2 dire summer windows that have led us here.

With a few added players and when the fixtures calm down, I still think he’s capable of meeting our targets on all fronts. It’s a bad start but that’s all - a start.

All of that said - I’m struggling to see the plan and where he’s going with the team. There’s normally no way back when you start to get the “Johnson gtf” chanting that was going on yesterday (not a tiny minority either), and if there are itk noises coming out about players not being happy with him then it’s only leading one way.

Ryan91
27-08-2023, 09:25 AM
I've long been one to stress patience when it comes to the manager, however patience can only go so far.

I feel that it would be best for him to go now.

Hibbyradge
27-08-2023, 09:31 AM
Keep him forever, obvs.

BoomtownHibees
27-08-2023, 09:33 AM
I’m going to go full Labour Party and abstain against my better judgment.

I believe you’ve got certain windows when changing the manager is fair game - 3 games into the league season with a few critical weeks of a transfer window to go isn’t one of them.

The main reason we’re struggling is because our squad is hopelessly deficient relative to the run of fixtures we’ve had. He needs to take his share of the blame for creating and then tolerating that but it’s more the past 2 dire summer windows that have led us here.

With a few added players and when the fixtures calm down, I still think he’s capable of meeting our targets on all fronts. It’s a bad start but that’s all - a start.

All of that said - I’m struggling to see the plan and where he’s going with the team. There’s normally no way back when you start to get the “Johnson gtf” chanting that was going on yesterday (not a tiny minority either), and if there are itk noises coming out about players not being happy with him then it’s only leading one way.

Do you mean a few days of the window rather than weeks? I’d get someone in now to give them at least a little input on what we need and what they would want before the window closes on Thursday. Realise getting someone within that timeframe is a bit ambitious but maybe we’ve got someone lined up

micksoo
27-08-2023, 09:33 AM
sack

Pagan Hibernia
27-08-2023, 09:46 AM
There is only one answer to this now I'm afraid

Greenworld
27-08-2023, 09:47 AM
Sack

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Eyrie
27-08-2023, 09:48 AM
Sack.

Can anyone honestly say that we look a better team than we did this time last year?

We probably have a better squad but it isn't playing better.

Smartie
27-08-2023, 09:49 AM
Do you mean a few days of the window rather than weeks? I’d get someone in now to give them at least a little input on what we need and what they would want before the window closes on Thursday. Realise getting someone within that timeframe is a bit ambitious but maybe we’ve got someone lined up

Yes - sorry (forgot where in the month we were tbh).

I know most will find this madness but I’d rather have Johnson, a RB, a CM and some better depth out wide than someone else trying to cobble a team out of what we’ve got.

If we weren’t going to give him beyond this point he should have been punted at the start of the summer and appropriate plans for the season made with an alternative incumbent.

If we’re not going to bring those players in, we’ll struggle whoever is in charge.

Gettin' Auld
27-08-2023, 09:51 AM
:bye: Lee

Pagan Hibernia
27-08-2023, 09:54 AM

I know most will find this madness but I’d rather have Johnson, a RB, a CM and some better depth out wide than someone else trying to cobble a team out of what we’ve got.

If we weren’t going to give him beyond this point he should have been punted at the start of the summer and appropriate plans for the season made with an alternative incumbent.

If we’re not going to bring those players in, we’ll struggle whoever is in charge.

Not necessarily. Jack Ross did a pretty good job of stabilising the mess left to him by hecky... then took us forward in his first full season.

BoomtownHibees
27-08-2023, 09:54 AM

I’m the opposite. I reckon a competent manager would get more out of the players than what we are currently seeing

Smartie
27-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Not necessarily. Jack Ross did a pretty good job of stabilising the mess left to him by hecky... then took us forward in his first full season.

Fair point, he did.

Even then though - I thought it was appropriate to give Hecky a round of fixtures and the LC semi before making the call that “another manager would get more out of this group of players”. It wasn’t a minute too soon or too late.

Interesting that part of what Ross did was to get a front 3 in the sea…for a while, before eventually bringing it back and getting himself sacked.

Smartie
27-08-2023, 10:00 AM
I’m the opposite. I reckon a competent manager would get more out of the players than what we are currently seeing

Yeah, and I think most folk are now starting to see it that way.

When you end up there, there’s normally no way back for him, which I accept.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Keep!

Just for the sh*ts and giggles obviously.

scuttle
27-08-2023, 10:07 AM
Sack

easty
27-08-2023, 10:08 AM
I don’t think he’s a bad manager, I think what he did with Bristol City showed that. Last season we weren’t miles off third either, so where we should be.

But…it’s not working just now, and his team selections are baffling. The sort of team selections a manager makes just before he’s emptied.

I really don’t know who to blame for our recruitment failings. Is it Johnsons fault or someone else’s??

I’m not a fan of Ben Kensell, I’d love to hear what he does that’s good for the club, but I’ve never liked that he seems to be very loose lipped around fans.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 10:09 AM
I don’t think he’s a bad manager, I think what he did with Bristol City showed that. Last season we weren’t miles off third either, so where we should be.

But…it’s not working just now, and his team selections are baffling. The sort of team selections a manager makes just before he’s emptied.

I really don’t know who to blame for our recruitment failings. Is it Johnsons fault or someone else’s??

I’m not a fan of Ben Kensell, I’d love to hear what he does that’s good for the club, but I’ve never liked that he seems to be very loose lipped around fans.

Kensell can point to the commercial side of the club improving significantly since he came in.

I’m not anti Kensell. I’m anti Kensell being involved in anything football related though. If he wanted to stay and do commercial stuff only I’d be happy to have him.

Springbank
27-08-2023, 10:09 AM
I'd say a new manager would quickly realise you can't play youan & Boyle wide - you just give the opposition fullbacks license to cross balls into the danger area

I'd say our best shape (with current personnel) is 352 with the front 2 paired from Boyle youan vente ALF

Obita, Miller at wing back

A back 3 permed from Fish Harbottle Rocky & Hanlon

The real problem area is midfield

In a 352 you can play jeggo cdm with newell & then it's levitt/jdh/Campbell

Would not surprise me if a new manager changed the shape to make us immediately better, going forward & in defence

easty
27-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Kensell can point to the commercial side of the club improving significantly since he came in.

I’m not anti Kensell. I’m anti Kensell being involved in anything football related though. If he wanted to stay and do commercial stuff only I’d be happy to have him.

Yeah that seems fair enough actually.

But, he seems to love the attention so I cannae see him not being involved in the football side.

Smartie
27-08-2023, 10:20 AM
I'd say a new manager would quickly realise you can't play youan & Boyle wide - you just give the opposition fullbacks license to cross balls into the danger area

I'd say our best shape (with current personnel) is 352 with the front 2 paired from Boyle youan vente ALF

Would not surprise me if a new manager changed the shape to make us immediately better, going forward & in defence

I agree with much of this.

My concern would be how long it might take a new manager to figure out the Youan / Boyle / 433 problem, and that any manager is in a hiding to nothing with our current crop of midfielders.

Playing a formation with no right back gets around the problem of having no right backs though.

And I don’t think there’s a need for a DM when you play a back 3 so Jeggo becomes largely surplus to requirements.

easty
27-08-2023, 10:23 AM

You can play Boyle and Youan wide in a 3-4-3, and it’s the formation which should get the best out of them. They shouldn’t need to have much defensive responsibility.

I don’t see why that couldn’t work with the wide players in the midfield 4 being comfortable on the ball…Obita and Cadden would work, and can track back.

Exuberance1875
27-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Should have been sacked 2/3 times last year. Should never have been given the summer after bottling it at tynie against 10 men, then embarrassing himself post match with Naismith.

Shouldn’t be given another 15 minutes in the job let alone another game.

Giving him the Aberdeen game proves nothing. He’s a loser.

Borderhibbie76
27-08-2023, 10:55 AM
Get him gone now with the next 3 away fixtures it's not gonna get any better under him and we either sack him now or after Pittodrie next Sun - so he might as well go now. He's lost 90% of the fans and the dressing room going by what we all witnessed at ER yesterday. I've tried to give him a chance but he's never coming back from this so we may as well pull the trigger now

Keith_M
27-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Seven votes to keep. Just shows how many Yams are on this board :wink:

bod
27-08-2023, 10:56 AM
sack,cant stand managers who sit on their a**e instead of trying to change tactics of playing positions

easty
27-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Should have been sacked 2/3 times last year. Should never have been given the summer after bottling it at tynie against 10 men, then embarrassing himself post match with Naismith.

Shouldn’t be given another 15 minutes in the job let alone another game.

Giving him the Aberdeen game proves nothing. He’s a loser.

I don’t think he bottled it at Tynecastle against 10 men at all.

We had all the ball, the players let us down that day. Hearts just sat in, our players were clueless. Youan was terrible, we had nobody in midfield who created anything.

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2023, 11:04 AM
I would only be in favour of sacking him if I was convinced those in power at the Club would replace him with someone better. Given their track record I have no confidence that they would. Unless there was a clear and obvious candidate I would reluctantly keep him at the moment.

flash
27-08-2023, 11:05 AM
I would only be in favour of sacking him if I was convinced those in power at the Club would replace him with someone better. Given their track record I have no confidence that they would. Unless there was a clear and obvious candidate I would reluctantly keep him at the moment.

That means he would never get sacked.

Borderhibbie76
27-08-2023, 11:06 AM

What a terrible reason for keeping him - we have a DOF now who would no doubt be in charge kf recruiting a new manager - but we should just keep the loser because his replacement might be worse??

bordergreen
27-08-2023, 11:10 AM
I can’t seem to vote but Sack. Should have happened last night. Not fair to anyone, including Lee Johnson, to drag it out.

Musselbound
27-08-2023, 11:15 AM

The recruitment failings is a good point yet it's only a few weeks since many on here were applauding the recruitment and the amount of money spent. So is it maybe to soon to conclude it has failed?

I saw some signs that Levitt might improve the midfield before he got injured and Vente looks like he can score goals at this level.

The defence, or defending in general, looks to have gone backwards and we are no closer to finding long term replacements for the likes of Stevenson or Hanlon.

We must've brought in about 10 players already but the consensus seems to be we still need more.

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2023, 11:30 AM
What a terrible reason for keeping him - we have a DOF now who would no doubt be in charge kf recruiting a new manager - but we should just keep the loser because his replacement might be worse??

They sacked Jack Ross just before a cup final and replaced him with a dud. When Maloney went there was an obvious and available candidate in McInnes but they brought in LJ instead.
Lee's days are numbered but I have little confidence the current regime will do any better this time.