PDA

View Full Version : Jeggo

LaMotta
26-08-2023, 11:18 PM
Just watched the horrific "highlights" of the Livvy game on Sportscene.

I've been reading absolutely mystifying nonsense on here since January about how Jeggo has played well, how he makes players around him play better, and how we are much better defensively with him in the team. All with no evidence IMO to back that up.

Well tonight we had both Sportsound pundits ( Iwelumu and McCann) calling out Jeggo for shocking play in 2 seperate incidents when Livvy cut us open. He has been at fault for 3 goals conceded in our last 3 league games all ending in defeat. All this added to his absolutely awful passing ability, and the fact he needs about 3 touches before making a simple pass, then it's no wonder we are sitting bottom of the league.

Surely its about time that anyone who claimed "Jeggo does a job" or "Jeggo improves those around him" or "Jeggo shores up the defence" can finally just admit that they have got it wrong about him?

Vault Boy
26-08-2023, 11:21 PM
He seems like a totally decent guy and that, but I really don’t rate him as a player. Slow, lacks technique and disrupts our play as often as he disrupts the opposition’s.

JohnM1875
26-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Bizarrely thought that was one of his better games today, which almost defies belief. Second half I actually thought he was alright and one of the few players putting a shift in. Probably his best passing game as well, actually turned and went forward with the ball. Don't think I've seen slower or less mobile player play for us though.

No way he should ever be starting for us, but that was nowhere near his worst game for us today.

Exuberance1875
26-08-2023, 11:32 PM
Cannot doubt his effort and attitude. Absolutely lacks the ability to be an effective hibs midfielder

hfc-1875
27-08-2023, 04:13 AM
Put in the team to do the dirty work but runs about like a headless chicken, can’t even tackle

Nicho87
27-08-2023, 05:36 AM
Him and Campbell

Wasted jerseys

Both do the unseen work

It’s so unseen they should get up to the highlands and help those Fannie’s look for nessy as they two are complete masters of the art.

theonlywayisup
27-08-2023, 06:06 AM
IMO something I'll repeat ad nauseum is that our midfield individually are good footballers, but our midfield collectively is really really poor. So I find this targeting of individuals tiresome. In the right midfield, Jeggo is probably just what any manager would want.

I know this is stretching it, but you could replace Jeggo with Messi and I don't think it would improve our team considerably.

I see the finger is being pointed again at Campbell. Again, in the right midfield, he's a good footballer. His key feature is his work rate, as we all know he's not a Messi. However, to me, he looks knackered and unfit. He needs to be taken out of this mess and given time to rebuild his fitness.

I read quotes like "if Campbell's not scoring, he's a wasted jersey". The same can be said of Youan and Boyle. In terms of team work, they don't track back, which is putting pressure on the much criticised full-backs.

I hate to say this, but collectively as a team we are a shambles. Our game plan seems to be give the ball to Youan or Boyle and hope that they do some magic with the ball. However, I see little point giving the ball to Youan, when his first action is to run back towards our own goal. With his pace, he needs to be running onto the ball going forward, but we don't have the midfielders to unlock defences. It's also noticeable, that teams double up on both Youan and Boyle as they know that's our main threat. If that doesn't work, it's balls up to the centre forward (perm any one/two from three, who individually are all good players) who get very little support and are often isolated. Again, we don't have a midfield that run into space and give the forwards options.

Whether the above is down to 1) the manager, 2) the recruitment team, 3) the players or 4) the back-up team, collectively Hibernian FC must do better.

Allant1981
27-08-2023, 06:20 AM
I thought he was ok yesterday, not great but certainly not poor, each to their own though

Alvin
27-08-2023, 06:43 AM
if Campbell's not scoring, he's a wasted jersey[/I]". The same can be said of Youan and Boyle. In terms of team work, they don't track back, which is putting pressure on the much criticised full-backs.

I hate to say this, but collectively as a team we are a shambles. Our game plan seems to be give the ball to Youan or Boyle and hope that they do some magic with the ball. However, I see little point giving the ball to Youan, when his first action is to run back towards our own goal. With his pace, he needs to be running onto the ball going forward, but we don't have the midfielders to unlock defences. It's also noticeable, that teams double up on both Youan and Boyle as they know that's our main threat. If that doesn't work, it's balls up to the centre forward (perm any one/two from three, who individually are all good players) who get very little support and are often isolated. Again, we don't have a midfield that run into space and give the forwards options.

Summed up nicely for me.

Northernhibee
27-08-2023, 06:45 AM
In an organised team he’s fine. I thought he was pretty good for a fair bit of last season.

This season feels like we’ve tipped out a bucket of players onto a pitch and expected them to play football and like many other players in our team he looks utterly lost.

I think with a new manager he’ll come good.

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2023, 07:11 AM
Last couple of games he seems to have improved especially his passing and attitude

Would have to see the second goal again

Ain’t nobody stopping that third goal The boy was allowed time and space to get away a perfect strike An exocet!

Allant1981
27-08-2023, 07:13 AM
Last couple of games he seems to have improved especially his passing and attitude

Would have to see the second goal again

Ain’t nobody stopping that third goal The boy was allowed time and space to get away a perfect strike An exocet!

Thought he could have tracked the runner a bit quicker for the 2nd goal but Boyle also could have burst a gut to track back, defending on our right hand side is so bad at the moment

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 07:15 AM
Thought he could have tracked the runner a bit quicker for the 2nd goal but Boyle also could have burst a gut to track back, defending on our right hand side is so bad at the moment

Probably doesn't help when you're bizarrely playing a centre half at RB and have two actual RB's on the bench.

ChuckNor
27-08-2023, 07:42 AM
Yea, I used to be in the “he does a job defensively” camp. After the second goal, I think he is absolutely no use to us. We need everyone to pull together and do the basics to stop the rot at dealing with crosses. He can’t let his man put the ball in like that

SickBoy32
27-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Poor man’s gogic, always has been

JimBHibees
27-08-2023, 07:51 AM
I thought he was ok yesterday, not great but certainly not poor, each to their own though

Ok should have done better in stopping cross at second goal imo

Allant1981
27-08-2023, 07:58 AM
Ok should have done better in stopping cross at second goal imo

Yip should have been so much closer, but as i said in a previous post, Boyle could have also tracked the runner a bit quicker, our defending is rank rotten just now

SON OF PADDY
27-08-2023, 08:02 AM

He couldn't tackle a fish supper!

green day
27-08-2023, 08:06 AM
He's not good enough, but he's not the only one.

JimBHibees
27-08-2023, 08:17 AM
Yip should have been so much closer, but as i said in a previous post, Boyle could have also tracked the runner a bit quicker, our defending is rank rotten just now

Agree Boyle could have helped also

Smartie
27-08-2023, 08:55 AM
I’ve not seen the goal back yet but I accept Jeggo’s culpability.

From a highlights reel and Sportscene pundit point of view it will be possibly to create a narrative that Jeggo sold the jerseys. I didn’t feel that was the case at the game, which is made up of loads of wee incidents as much as the one or two big ones. He was generally competent, recycling possession, winning the ball back etc.

Yes, we need to be stopping crosses at source but I think we need to be stopping opposition players winning headers in our 6 yard box every bit as much. In a parallel universe our 6ft plus, physically dominant centre halves win the header (like their opposite numbers did all day long) then give Jeggo a bollocking that he might not be so lucky next time and it becomes a minor blemish on Jeggo’s afternoon.

gaz1875
27-08-2023, 09:56 AM
I’ve not seen the goal back yet but I accept Jeggo’s culpability.

From a highlights reel and Sportscene pundit point of view it will be possibly to create a narrative that Jeggo sold the jerseys. I didn’t feel that was the case at the game, which is made up of loads of wee incidents as much as the one or two big ones. He was generally competent, recycling possession, winning the ball back etc.

Yes, we need to be stopping crosses at source but I think we need to be stopping opposition players winning headers in our 6 yard box every bit as much. In a parallel universe our 6ft plus, physically dominant centre halves win the header (like their opposite numbers did all day long) then give Jeggo a bollocking that he might not be so lucky next time and it becomes a minor blemish on Jeggo’s afternoon.

This in bold, all the talk is about stopping the crosses that's only part, we allow so many unchallenged headers in our box its criminal.