PDA

View Full Version : Neil McCann

Alfred E Newman
26-08-2023, 09:25 PM
On being asked about the reaction of the Hibs support today on Sportscene “ They’re a hard bunch to please” says Neil.
What an insulting comment.

Ryan91
26-08-2023, 09:31 PM
On being asked about the reaction of the Hibs support today on Sportscene “ They’re a hard bunch to please” says Neil.

In the context of today, it's a stupid comment to make, overall though, I feel that we are a VERY hard to please fan base.

Not having a go at other fans and encouraging us to accept mediocrity, we've been a work in progress since the Scottish Cup win, we should be more consistently challenging for European places, but I feel that we're too quick sometimes to get frustrated at our own team when it's not going smoothly.

Just hope that whomever inevitably ends up replacing LJ as manager can have us hitting the ground running, because after this **** show, there's going to be zero room for early growing pains

Joe6-2
26-08-2023, 09:33 PM
Yes we are, but we should have and expect better than this, for too long we’ve been let down.
On that welt, best ignored

LewysGot2
26-08-2023, 09:34 PM

He’s a total slaver…

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 09:34 PM
…Is a welt

JimBHibees
26-08-2023, 09:36 PM
…Is a welt

Pretty much

Iain G
26-08-2023, 09:37 PM

I really don't like Neil McCann but that quote is pretty much on the money.

Smartie
26-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Neil McCann is a prick and on this isolated occasion correct.

DIXIHIBS
26-08-2023, 09:39 PM
I really don't like Neil McCann but that quote is pretty much on the money.

Really? 3 defeats and bottom of the league, conceding goals for fun, on course for record european defeat and we're hard to please!!

Iain G
26-08-2023, 09:40 PM
Really? 3 defeats and bottom of the league, conceding goals for fun, on course for record european defeat and we're hard to please!!

In general I would say we are, not meaning the past few games.

We have hounded out quite a few managers over the years as soon as it goes a bit belly up.

Springbank
26-08-2023, 09:44 PM
Thr Hibs manager has been given a £750k striker, similar value winger, even higher value right winger & given money to spend on defence & keeper.

And he can't win a game

Tattie bye

Iain G
26-08-2023, 09:45 PM
Thr Hibs manager has been given a £750k striker, similar value winger, even higher value right winger & given money to spend on defence & keeper.

And he can't win a game

Tattie bye

For factual accuracy he has won 3 games this season so far 😁

gazzag70
26-08-2023, 09:52 PM

Exactly this. Can we really be anything other than unhappy?

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-08-2023, 09:54 PM

Yeah, how dare we expect to be better than bottom of the league after 3 defeats against St Mirren and Livi at home and Motherwell away. We're such an inconsiderate support.

Nicho87
26-08-2023, 10:20 PM
He was smiling when he said it

Couldn’t be happier

I actually despise bbc sportsound and sportscene

If you’re not a jambo, sheep, old firm lover you’re screwed.

It’s deplorable

Musselbound
26-08-2023, 10:21 PM
Why would we be pleased with a home defeat to Livy? The comment doesn't make any sense.

ScottB
26-08-2023, 10:30 PM
I mean, are we? Both Hearts and Aberdeen sacked managers last year. The idea we’re somehow worse is daft, other than our habits of hiring outside the Sportscene old boys network and firing any of them we have had the misfortune to appoint.

1875Sean
26-08-2023, 10:37 PM
Failed manager and a total see you next Tuesday

Lago
26-08-2023, 10:41 PM
There is a degree of truth in it though

Hermit Crab
26-08-2023, 10:43 PM

At £400+ a season ticket plus all the away tickets and travel - yes, I am hard to please. I put my money into the club season after season and want a winning team. Not the utter Tom Kite we are being subjected to at the moment.

Ronniekirk
26-08-2023, 11:17 PM
Just watched sport scene I thought his analysis was spot on re our inept organisation , not getting close enough to players snd poor communication and looking flat

Harbottke and Fish in particular But the highlights made for unpleasant viewing
would a new manager get more out these players snd get them organised If thsts what Board think he needs to go as I csnt see how he turns this round

Baader
26-08-2023, 11:23 PM
We probably are hard to please. But losing at home to Livi and St Mirren isn't being hard to please. That's never going to be acceptable.

CMac1988
26-08-2023, 11:28 PM
For where we should be no chance. Not any different from Hearts or Aberdeen. No **** said they were hard to please when they were sacking managers last season after poor runs. We held on to ours and they both proceeded to finish above us. Neil McCann like most doesn't know what it's like to watch a team who underachaived for most of his life. Tit.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 06:36 AM
We’ve under achieved by any metric for about 40 years. Yet we still have great crowds home and away. They should be praising us for going at all.

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2023, 07:05 AM
Said on another thread that I thought Neil McCann had improved as a pundit probably due to his recent experience as a Manager and his analysis, tactical awareness and knowledge are spot on

Still a Hearts fud though

Hibrandenburg
27-08-2023, 07:09 AM

And he can't win a game

Tattie bye

In today's football market, that's like being given a tenner to buy a used car.

Since452
27-08-2023, 07:17 AM

Aren't we?

James Stephen
27-08-2023, 07:18 AM
Id say hes right.

A good section of the Hibs support weren't happy with 3rd and cup runs, because they couldn't win enough 'big games' and it wasnt the right kind of 3rd place (despite being the first in 16 years).

Hibs are underachievers, and fans are partly to blame because of what they demand, and what they deem to be 'success', which effectively means every manager is doomed to fail, except the odd once in a generation exception. Hibs fans create that situation, the club follows and hey presto.

Keep doing what youve always done, youll keep getting what you always got.

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 07:20 AM

I mean who wouldn't be pleased after shelling out for 4 season tickets, having to arrange your day to go the football and watching us loose our 3rd league game of the season, 3 defeats to St Mirren, Motherwell and Livi.

green day
27-08-2023, 07:30 AM
McCann is a tube.

No doubt when LJ is finally punted we will hear the same, that we were wrong to chase out Ross, Maloney, Johnson - all of whom were failing at Hibs.

The bigger question is not if fans were right to moan, but if the structure was in place to support the managers in question.

I would argue it probably wasnt for Ross and Maloney, and is only now being properly put in place with a DoF etc.

Its still too late for Johnson, he has lost the room.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 07:38 AM
Aren't we?

Not any more than anyone else.

Hearts and Aberdeen both finished above us last season yet they both sacked their managers while we stuck by ours. Neilson got Hearts third the previous season and was then sacked with them in 4th. Why are Hearts fans not deemed hard to please?

Aberdeen wanted rid of McInnes who is probably the most succesful non old firm manager over a sustained period since SAF. Why are they not ‘hard to please?’

It’s a myth that we’re hard to please (or at least harder to please) than other clubs. A myth that’s often peddled by some Hibs fans mind you.

Smartie
27-08-2023, 07:42 AM
I mean who wouldn't be pleased after shelling out for 4 season tickets, having to arrange your day to go the football and watching us loose our 3rd league game of the season, 3 defeats to St Mirren, Motherwell and Livi.

It’s getting into “if my auntie had baws” territory but if we had 6 or 7 points from those first 3 games I suspect there would still be calls from certain quarters for Johnson to go. The football wouldn’t have been good enough, there would have been more nonsense in his interviews or the victories wouldn’t have been stylish enough.

That’s where I think McCann probably has a point.

SickBoy32
27-08-2023, 07:42 AM
Id say hes right.

A good section of the Hibs support weren't happy with 3rd and cup runs, because they couldn't win enough 'big games' and it wasnt the right kind of 3rd place (despite being the first in 16 years).

Hibs are underachievers, and fans are partly to blame because of what they demand, and what they deem to be 'success', which effectively means every manager is doomed to fail, except the odd once in a generation exception. Hibs fans create that situation, the club follows and hey presto.

Broadly agree with all of the above, and I’m sure McCanns comment is in particular reference to JR

Pretty confident if we’d kept the faith with him at the helm, we’d have enjoyed a far better couple of years since his departure

We’ll likely wait decades (hopefully not!) to again have a manager with as high a win % in the top flight

When 3rd and regular hampden trips aren’t deemed good enough, due to something as subjective as ‘style’ (and really, in modern sanitised football - is there truly that many entertaining sides out there?! The bulk of sides adopt the same % based approach, recycle the ball etc etc) then unfortunately on this occasion I have to agree with the wee hun welt McCann

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 07:45 AM
It’s getting into “if my auntie had baws” territory but if we had 6 or 7 points from those first 3 games I suspect there would still be calls from certain quarters for Johnson to go. The football wouldn’t have been good enough, there would have been more nonsense in his interviews or the victories wouldn’t have been stylish enough.

That’s where I think McCann probably has a point.

Of course there wouldn’t be.

If we’d progressed through two rounds in Europe, progressed through the league cup and had 7 points, an amount that would have us joint top, there wouldn’t be calls for him to go.

HIBS NUTS
27-08-2023, 07:51 AM
I’m pretty sure he stays in East Lothian, certainly plays golf there, he’s often at hibs training ground , watching the under 18, he might be an agent for a few young players, seems a decent bloke.
I think all the pundits know, that our current leadership is absolutely horrendous, but they can’t say that on Sportscene.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 07:52 AM
Broadly agree with all of the above, and I’m sure McCanns comment is in particular reference to JR

Pretty confident if we’d kept the faith with him at the helm, we’d have enjoyed a far better couple of years since his departure

We’ll likely wait decades (hopefully not!) to again have a manager with as high a win % in the top flight

When 3rd and regular hampden trips aren’t deemed good enough, due to something as subjective as ‘style’ (and really, in modern sanitised football - is there truly that many entertaining sides out there?! The bulk of sides adopt the same % based approach, recycle the ball etc etc) then unfortunately on this occasion I have to agree with the wee hun welt McCann

Ron Gordon sacked Jack Ross. Wasn’t Hibs fans

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 07:53 AM

No, it was the big bad boys who boo'd Jack Ross that one game.

SickBoy32
27-08-2023, 07:54 AM

Indeed

Whether or not he was influenced by the grumblings from within the support we’ll never know, but I think it’s fair to say that would’ve been a factor

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2023, 08:03 AM
At £400+ a season ticket plus all the away tickets and travel - yes, I am hard to please. I put my money into the club season after season and want a winning team. Not the utter Tom Kite we are being subjected to at the moment.

You are not hard to please or you would not be spending your hard earned week in week out, you would have given Hibs up a long time ago.
I certainly don't think we are hard to please , more the opposite I would say , if that was the case the ground would be empty most weeks given the false dawn's, disappointment and dross we are served up year after year.
I switched off after the Hibs game but I'm pretty sure McCann wouldn't have aimed that jibe at the Celtic support who roundly jeered their treble winning team off the park yesterday.

DH1875
27-08-2023, 08:23 AM
Lee McCulloch (I know) said recently that when he joined hearts, the minute he walked in the door he was told that 3rd place was the minimum they expected and that they drummed this into the players. 4th place wasn't acceptable and him and jobbie lost their job.
Folk say our fans have unrealistic expectations yet its alright for that mob. Let's see how they react when Motherwell, Livi and St Mirren pump them.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 08:41 AM
Lee McCulloch (I know) said recently that when he joined hearts, the minute he walked in the door he was told that 3rd place was the minimum they expected and that they drummed this into the players. 4th place wasn't acceptable and him and jobbie lost their job.
Folk say our fans have unrealistic expectations yet its alright for that mob. Let's see how they react when Motherwell, Livi and St Mirren pump them.

:agree:

There’s a bunch of folk on this site who seem to just want to give Hibs fans a kicking when it doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny. Aberdeen sacked their manager last season whilst in a similar place to us, nobody is claiming they’re too hard to please. Hearts sacked their manager after a third place finish the previous season and sitting in 4th place, again, nobody claims they’re too hard to please, yet Hibs fans like to make out that we are extremely hard to please when we generally accept failure more than both these teams do.

Skol
27-08-2023, 09:02 AM
I have no time for McCann at all. He is however spot on with his comment. As people have said the calls for Johnson have been on the go for a long time, not just yesterday. Some people so wanted hi. Out before he even had his first game under his belt.

The hibs fans were also responsible for the exit of jack ross.

LaMotta
27-08-2023, 09:30 AM
I have no time for McCann at all. He is however spot on with his comment. As people have said the calls for Johnson have been on the go for a long time, not just yesterday. Some people so wanted hi. Out before he even had his first game under his belt.

His comment was ridiculous given its timing - 3 defeats out of 3 and bottom of the league following a 5 nil going on 10 nil defeat in Europe.

The way he said it you'd think we were doing ok.

Hibs90
27-08-2023, 09:31 AM

Yes it’s all our fault both have failed to put a winning team on the park

Steve-O
27-08-2023, 09:35 AM

Losing your third game in a row in the league at home to Livvy. If this was Hearts or Rangers that snide wee rat would be changing his tune guaranteed

Since452
27-08-2023, 09:41 AM

Exactly. There were folk livid we didn't appoint the Danish guy and dug their heels in from then. We've had some terrific performances and results under LJ, even this season. That can't be be denied. Losing our first three league games is unacceptable though given the investment. I don't blame the fans for their anger for the league games this season. It isn't good enough.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 09:44 AM
Of course there wouldn’t be.

If we’d progressed through two rounds in Europe, progressed through the league cup and had 7 points, an amount that would have us joint top, there wouldn’t be calls for him to go.

As Mr Loaf suggested, 2 out of 3 ain't bad 😁

Sioux
27-08-2023, 09:49 AM

Your £400+ season ticket entitles you to a seat to watch all home league games and nothing else. What you want is irrelevant. Too many people have a sense of entitlement just because they decide to spend money on something.

If you buy a Vauxhall Corsa you expect it to operate and last for a few years. You can't moan if it doesn't perform like an BMW just because you want it to.

If you don't want a Corsa, don't buy one.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 09:52 AM

There’s a bunch of folk on this site who seem to just want to give Hibs fans a kicking when it doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny. Aberdeen sacked their manager last season whilst in a similar place to us, nobody is claiming they’re too hard to please. Hearts sacked their manager after a third place finish the previous season and sitting in 4th place, again, nobody claims they’re too hard to please, yet Hibs fans like to make out that we are extremely hard to please when we generally accept failure more than both these teams do.

We are though, we want the team to play "the Hibs way" and win games playing that way, when the reality of having a winning team in this league is physical, tough to beat, crosses into the box, big huddies and fighting for everything with a sprinkling of forwards who can score. Very rarely have we managed both, other than for short spells and then the wheels fall off.

Do we want a team that plays this progressive, expansive passing game and is likely to lose as many as we win, or do we want to win points? We struggle to do both.

This is a demanding aspect of our support, wanting to play the game in a style that hardly ever brings success in this league. And has been as long as I have been watching Hibs back in the Alex Miller days.

And this is not a comment in LJ or the current team who clearly can't do either right now!!

Hermit Crab
27-08-2023, 09:54 AM
Your £400+ season ticket entitles you to a seat to watch all home league games and nothing else. What you want is irrelevant. Too many people have a sense of entitlement just because they decide to spend money on something.

If you buy a Vauxhall Corsa you expect it to operate and last for a few years. You can't moan if it doesn't perform like an BMW just because you want it to.

If you don't want a Corsa, don't buy one.

Ridiculous comparison.

Every year the club send out the propaganda akin to the World War posters. Your Club Needs You!! Every penny spent on season tickets goes into the team. It clearly doesn't. For my hard earned investment I expect a decent return on the park. Not a manager who talks in riddles or work shy wage thieving players who are not good enough and certainly not 0 points from 3 games against teams who we'd consider to be poorer than us.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 09:55 AM
Ridiculous comparison.

Every year the club send out the propaganda akin to the World War posters. Your Club Needs You!! Every penny spent on season tickets goes into the team. It clearly doesn't. For my hard earned investment I expect a decent return on the park. Not a manager who talks in riddles or work shy wage thieving players who are not good enough and certainly not 0 points from 3 games against teams who we'd consider to be poorer than us.

But are you enjoying the Corsa? 😁

Feed McGraw
27-08-2023, 10:29 AM

Hearts and Aberdeen both finished above us last season yet they both sacked their managers while we stuck by ours. Neilson got Hearts third the previous season and was then sacked with them in 4th. Why are Hearts fans not deemed hard to please?

Aberdeen wanted rid of McInnes who is probably the most succesful non old firm manager over a sustained period since SAF. Why are they not ‘hard to please?’

It’s a myth that we’re hard to please (or at least harder to please) than other clubs. A myth that’s often peddled by some Hibs fans mind you. Absolutely spot on.

Steve-O
27-08-2023, 10:39 AM
We are though, we want the team to play "the Hibs way" and win games playing that way, when the reality of having a winning team in this league is physical, tough to beat, crosses into the box, big huddies and fighting for everything with a sprinkling of forwards who can score. Very rarely have we managed both, other than for short spells and then the wheels fall off.

Do we want a team that plays this progressive, expansive passing game and is likely to lose as many as we win, or do we want to win points? We struggle to do both.

This is a demanding aspect of our support, wanting to play the game in a style that hardly ever brings success in this league. And has been as long as I have been watching Hibs back in the Alex Miller days.

And this is not a comment in LJ or the current team who clearly can't do either right now!!

But we’ve tried and failed the turgid style you talk about too?

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2023, 10:48 AM
But are you enjoying the Corsa? 😁

It's failed it's MOT.

The Captain....
27-08-2023, 11:08 AM

It’s a myth that we’re hard to please (or at least harder to please) than other clubs. A myth that’s often peddled by some Hibs fans mind you.Correct

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

James Stephen
27-08-2023, 11:13 AM

But nobody is talking about Hearts or Aberdeen, its total whataboutery.

Whether Hearts or Aberdeen fans are easy or hard to please is neither here nor there.

But given you have a large chunk of Hibs fans adamant that a man who brought success to Aberdeen for 7 years says a lot. If Hibs fans standards are so high that the most successful non Old Firm manager in Scotland in the last 20 or 30 years isnt good enough, then i think that speaks volumes.

Fwiw, i actually think Hearts fans are going down a similar road, chasing out Neilson. But this discussion was about Hibs, no other clubs.

And by the way, both of thosd clubs have been, and continue to be, more successful than Hibs in the league.

The Captain....
27-08-2023, 11:13 AM

If you don't want a Corsa, don't buy one.Almost Johnson'esque analogy..superb satire.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Almost Johnson'esque analogy..superb satire.

😂

hibeerealist
27-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Id say hes right.

Get real for god's sake look around you at the premier league is there a consistently more poor performing team than us?

We are no different from other fans although I would argue we are more loyal to our team given the numbers turning up home AND away compared to results (utter s h ite) we have put up with for years!

I am not being biased when I say ANY club would be lucky/happy to have a support like ours, STOP knocking the fans you are just endorsing that wee blob of bacteria's snidey comments

James Stephen
27-08-2023, 11:41 AM
Get real for god's sake look around you at the premier league is there a consistently more poor performing team than us?

We are no different from other fans although I would argue we are more loyal to our team given the numbers turning up home AND away compared to results (utter s h ite) we have put up with for years!

I am not being biased when I say ANY club would be lucky/happy to have a support like ours, STOP knocking the fans you are just endorsing that wee blob of bacteria's snidey comments

Is that not the point. Hibs keep underachieving because they chase this mythical unicorn, and because the fans dont habe the patience to let a manager put in place the foundations to be successful. Fans set the criteria for what is success, especially in an era like this one where there is vocal fan interaction via social media, and weak leadership who dont have a clue what they need to do.

As long as Hibs fans turn their nose up at a team that is hard to beat first and foremost, then they will never be consistent, because consistency is built on solid defence.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 11:42 AM
But we’ve tried and failed the turgid style you talk about too?

Yes thats why we hounded Jack Ross out the club

WestStandWillie
27-08-2023, 11:48 PM
He’s spot on, we are! But we care about our team and don’t want half baked klingon spouted at us by some wee dobber with a book of cliches in hand.