PDA

View Full Version : Two team towns in England - obvious choice for a Hibee?

Glory Lurker
26-08-2023, 09:13 PM
Just seen Bristol Rovers on the EFL highlights and it made me think to ask this.

If you weren't from here and wanted to choose an Edinburgh team, if you had any cool about you you'd obviously choose Hibs. Are there equivalents down south?

I'm not thinking about Manchester, Liverpool and London. What about the other places? Stoke, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham, might be others? Is one preferable to the other?

WeeRussell
26-08-2023, 09:20 PM
Bristol city
Forest
Wednesday

Don’t ask me why!

CB Hibs 68
26-08-2023, 10:50 PM
Bristol city
Forest
Wednesday

Don’t ask me why!For me Rovers,County,Utd.Cause I don’t like City ,Forest and Wednesday

jeffers
26-08-2023, 10:51 PM
Don’t know about down south but I’ve got a soft spot for Dundee.

Renfrew_Hibby
26-08-2023, 10:52 PM
For me Rovers,County,Utd.Cause I don’t like City ,Forest and Wednesday

Spot on selections.

Silky
26-08-2023, 11:02 PM
Don’t know about down south but I’ve got a soft spot for Dundee.

So have I since they pumped Hearts in 86!

Just_Jimmy
26-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Forest, City, Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Donegal Hibby
26-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Newcastle United's are my team in England though I've always liked Everton , next to that I've watched a lot of Sheffield Wednesday and have a soft spot for them too .

Baader
26-08-2023, 11:30 PM
Bristol city
Forest
Wednesday

Don’t ask me why!

Correct. They are the cooler clubs in those cities.

He's here!
26-08-2023, 11:35 PM
Slight tangent but I stayed in Chicago for a while and was drawn to the Cubs over the White Sox when it came to choosing a baseball team. Wrigley Field has got to be one of the loveliest home grounds in all of sport. Their century-plus World Series hoodoo obviously resonated with me and I continued to keep tabs on them when I came back to the UK. I found it extraordinary that they laid that bogey to rest the same year we won the Scottish Cup.

He's here!
26-08-2023, 11:37 PM
Newcastle United's are my team in England though I've always liked Everton , next to that I've watched a lot of Sheffield Wednesday and have a soft spot for them too .

Everton are the perfect match for Hibs fans.

ErinGoBraghHFC
26-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Slight tangent but I stayed in Chicago for a while and was drawn to the Cubs over the White Sox when it came to choosing a baseball team. Their century-plus World Series hoodoo obviously resonated with me and I continued to keep tabs on them when I came back to the UK. I found it extraordinary that they laid that bogey to rest the same year we won the Scottish Cup.

You’re right, Cubs are cooler than the White Sox. Phillies are the coolest though, that’s a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
26-08-2023, 11:44 PM
I'll add in local rivalries in the lower leagues. I read that Oxford and Reading don't like each other. I'm leaning towards Reading but that's because of Robert Smith. Is the Edinburgh choice the only one where kennin whit's cool helps you decide?

He's here!
26-08-2023, 11:47 PM
You’re right, Cubs are cooler than the White Sox. Phillies are the coolest though, that’s a fact.

I saw the Phillies too but back then they were wearing a maroon kit so I was instinctively put off.

Green Reaper
26-08-2023, 11:48 PM

Nah, Indians are.....Guardians now so not so cool I suppose

Is It On....
26-08-2023, 11:52 PM
Just seen Bristol Rovers on the EFL highlights and it made me think to ask this.

If you weren't from here and wanted to choose an Edinburgh team, if you had any cool about you you'd obviously choose Hibs. Are there equivalents down south?

I'm not thinking about Manchester, Liverpool and London. What about the other places? Stoke, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham, might be others? Is one preferable to the other?

Man United or Salford. Technically only 1 team in Manchester 👍

O'Rourke3
27-08-2023, 12:41 AM
Port Vale...

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

houstonhibbee
27-08-2023, 04:07 AM
Slight tangent but I stayed in Chicago for a while and was drawn to the Cubs over the White Sox when it came to choosing a baseball team. Wrigley Field has got to be one of the loveliest home grounds in all of sport. Their century-plus World Series hoodoo obviously resonated with me and I continued to keep tabs on them when I came back to the UK. I found it extraordinary that they laid that bogey to rest the same year we won the Scottish Cup.

I lived next to wrigley field from 2003 to 2007 and supported cubs
Cubs v whitesox was a very friendly rivalry with lots of drink and never any trouble. Great city and people

Auckland Hibs
27-08-2023, 05:00 AM
I lived next to wrigley field from 2003 to 2007 and supported cubs
Cubs v whitesox was a very friendly rivalry with lots of drink and never any trouble. Great city and people

Was there when the Cubs won the world series, luckily it coincided with the AB'S vs Ireland. 5 million people on the streets celebrating, absolute carnage weekend. Went to see the White Sox last year when revisiting, great day out but they got smashed by the Yankees.

Love Chicago, amazing city.

DH1875
27-08-2023, 07:55 AM
Are Utd not the equivalent of Hibs in Sheffield?

scuttle
27-08-2023, 08:21 AM
As an ex nautical man has to be Plymouth and Portsmouth for me

Pretty Boy
27-08-2023, 08:38 AM
I've always preferred Sheffield United to Wednesday. Always liked Aston Villa more than any of the other teams from around there even before the McGinn move, shame about their colour scheme.

I also follow Lincoln City as they are my father in laws team. Been to a couple of games and always check their scores. I have a sort of cartoon dislike for Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Boston based on that.

Bristolhibby
27-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Loved opposite the Memorial Ground (Bristol Rovers) when I was at Uni at Bristol. Been a couple of times so always had a soft spot for Rovers.

They don’t have all the big money / stadium that City have.

Kit is cool (white and blue quadrants).

They also played at Twerton Park in Bath (my home town).

J

easty
27-08-2023, 08:51 AM
Bradford > Leeds

Pagan Hibernia
27-08-2023, 09:48 AM

Is the right answer.

I've also always had a soft spot for Nottingham Forest, probably because of Clough and their romantic and improbable rise to the pinnacle of European football. Lovely city too, Nottingham

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2023, 09:58 AM
When i lived in St Albans i used to go to Highbury and White Hart Lane for midweek games if i was not playing myself.

Never really got excited at either to be honest, but my son picked Arsenal so probably lean that way a little, i look out their results before the others i suppose.

To be honest, i just cant support another club, i dont get it, i dont feel it, its not Hibs.

Tommy75
27-08-2023, 10:02 AM

Why?

Hibbyradge
27-08-2023, 10:05 AM
Why?

Bottom of the table after 3 games with zero points?

He's here!
27-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Why?

Big club with great fan base but maddeningly inconsistent and only very rarely come close to fulfilling their potential.

eastmainsmsh
27-08-2023, 10:18 AM
Carlisle
Liver and Blackpool

MKHIBEE
27-08-2023, 10:18 AM
United over City
Everton over Liverpool
Not bothered about any other 2 team rivalry

Pagan Hibernia
27-08-2023, 10:21 AM
United over City
Everton over Liverpool
Not bothered about any other 2 team rivalry

Interesting. I would have thought hibs fans would have more empathy with pre-2008 Man City than they would with any version of Man Utd

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2023, 10:38 AM

Yeh ... been to Goodison a few times, Anfield once too, but I just couldn't take to Liverpool, probably because a club that has won so many trophies feels like anathema to a Hibs fan :greengrin

Not why I chose Hibs, but I can't help being drawn to the underdog. If I lived in Bristol it would be Rovers, if I lived in Nottingham it would be County, if I lived in Munich it would be 1860, if I lived in Barcelona it would be Espanyol ... the list goes on :greengrin

He's here!
27-08-2023, 10:39 AM
When i lived in St Albans i used to go to Highbury and White Hart Lane for midweek games if i was not playing myself.

Never really got excited at either to be honest, but my son picked Arsenal so probably lean that way a little, i look out their results before the others i suppose.

To be honest, i just cant support another club, i dont get it, i dont feel it, its not Hibs.

Yeh, I used to watch QPR when I stayed in London (early 90s when Les Ferdinand was banging in the goals). I liked the old-school feel of Loftus Road and remembered their great Stan Bowles-era 70s side from my sticker albums but I never really formed a true bond with them.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Yeh, I used to watch QPR when I stayed in London (early 90s when Les Ferdinand was banging in the goals). I liked the old-school feel of Loftus Road and remembered their great Stan Bowles-era 70s side from my sticker albums but I never really formed a true bond with them.

That's it isn't it though. You can sympathise with any club you want, but it's having a true feeling for them that counts .. coz of that there's no other club I can ever say I 'support' apart from Hibs.

Keith_M
27-08-2023, 10:59 AM

Yeah, just got pumped by Villa and hardly ever win anything.

He's here!
27-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Yeh ... been to Goodison a few times, Anfield once too, but I just couldn't take to Liverpool, probably because a club that has won so many trophies feels like anathema to a Hibs fan :greengrin

Not why I chose Hibs, but I can't help being drawn to the underdog. If I lived in Bristol it would be Rovers, if I lived in Nottingham it would be County, if I lived in Munich it would be 1860, if I lived in Barcelona it would be Espanyol ... the list goes on :greengrin

All-red kits are an instant turn-off to start with and I could never warm to Liverpool despite a lot of kids at school seeming to support them because of Dalglish. Like you, I actually recoiled from the way they hoovered up trophies!

I remember travelling down to some sort of youth football camp near Liverpool in the mid-80s and part of the week included us going to see an Everton match. A lot were disappointed because they wanted to go to see Liverpool but this was the brilliant Everton side of Gray, Sharp, Sheedy etc so it was a fantastic experience and it must have been great to be an Everton fan for that all-too brief moment in the sun. Annoyingly tho it didn't coincide with a decline in Liverpool's fortunes.

Tambo
27-08-2023, 11:12 AM
People always find it strange that I don't have an English team despite being here all my life.

The biggest team near me would be Leicester.

Growing up everyone was a united fan due to the success they had.

Liberal Hibby
27-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Interesting. I would have thought hibs fans would have more empathy with pre-2008 Man City than they would with any version of Man Utd

I think that's definitely the case - it's the post 2008 version that's the problem.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2023, 11:37 AM
I think that's definitely the case - it's the post 2008 version that's the problem.

Yeh. If you are a fan who stuck with City all through the lean ( very lean ) times it must absolutely boil yer pish to be lumped in with tourists and glory hunters now you are getting the reward for your selfless dedication over those years.

Pagan Hibernia
27-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Yeh. If you are a fan who stuck with City all through the lean ( very lean ) times it must absolutely boil yer pish to be lumped in with tourists and glory hunters now you are getting the reward for your selfless dedication over those years.

It's a hell of a reward right enough. Many many fans of many many clubs have to live through decades of rubbish. What City fans have now is more than any of us have a right to expect or hope for.

I took 2016 as our reward. I still think of it that way.

KWJ
27-08-2023, 12:17 PM

And the year Leicester won the premier League. Living in Extraordinary times as the album by James to come out after said.

Musselbound
27-08-2023, 12:46 PM
I lived in Sheffield for a while and went to watch both Wednesday and United. I had a preference for Wednesday who were in the Championship while United were in League 1. Obviously bigger better teams were coming to Hillsborough but that has turned around now!

HerbDailly
27-08-2023, 01:27 PM
Man United or Salford. Technically only 1 team in Manchester [emoji106]Only 1 team in Salford - Salford City!

Old Trafford's in Trafford, Salford starts on the other side of the water.

He's here!
27-08-2023, 02:07 PM

United's route to trophy-winning machine was very different to City's, who effectively bought their way there via obscene amounts of money. United were a big club for sure but they persevered with Ferguson despite a decidedly mediocre start and his phenomenal management skills were the catalyst for what they went on to achieve. Yes he had cash to spend but not the crazy levels that get thrown around now.

Lancs Harp
27-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Melchester Rovers, drama every week.

KazHibby
27-08-2023, 05:23 PM
I'll add in local rivalries in the lower leagues. I read that Oxford and Reading don't like each other. I'm leaning towards Reading but that's because of Robert Smith. Is the Edinburgh choice the only one where kennin whit's cool helps you decide?

Is that Oxford City or United?

Glory Lurker
27-08-2023, 06:03 PM
Is that Oxford City or United?

The one with the bull badge, whichever one that is!

He's here!
27-08-2023, 06:05 PM
For me Rovers,County,Utd.Cause I don’t like City ,Forest and Wednesday

Think I remember reading that Notts County were the inspiration for Juventus's kit.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2023, 06:13 PM
Only 1 team in Salford - Salford City!

Old Trafford's in Trafford, Salford starts on the other side of the water.

Indeed. A bit off subject, but when you consider arguably the biggest club in the world is almost literally on your doorstep, why the hell would you change the club's colours from orange to red, the very colours said world giant plays in. Literally the stupidest decision made by the owners of any football club anywhere ever ... IMO. And I don't care who they all played for.

LancsHibs
27-08-2023, 06:42 PM
The one with the bull badge, whichever one that is!

Both:greengrin

Glory Lurker
27-08-2023, 07:01 PM
Both:greengrin

Brilliant! Which one is to be favoured?

vercol36
27-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Sheffield Wednesday = dull, with delusions of grandeur
Sheffield United = witty, a bit rough round the edges, plucky, poetic

That’s my unbiased take on it…

Edina Street
28-08-2023, 03:20 PM

I would go for a Welsh team for obvious reasons. Cardiff City.

Would also support Wrexham when it comes to the cross-border derby.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-border_derby

Though I would only do this for sporting rivalry.
Other than that, I consider myself British and have no political or nationalistic animosity towards the English, though I could not bring myself to support an English club, as I am aware that most English people probably actually look quite dimly upon Scots that support their clubs, and use it as another example of just why Scottish football must be rubbish.

But if it were to come down to a City or Town with two teams, I would have to go with Wrexham v Chester. Even though they are not from the same City, they are in close proximity, and the match is considered to be quite a hostile national derby between an English club and a Welsh club.

Renfrew_Hibby
28-08-2023, 03:35 PM
Deffo Cardiff in Wales. Swansea with their Jack Army are pricks.

Oxfords main rivals are Swindon and for that reason alone its got to be Oxford. Cool badge as well and a new stadium in the pipeline to replace their current souless 3 sided ground.

Bristol Rovers and Sheff United all the frigging way. Much cooler clubs.

Spurs and Everton over Arsenal and Liverpool... must be the Hibs in me!

Swaying to Ipswich over Norwich and going for WBA for the West Mids.

Keith_M
28-08-2023, 05:10 PM
Bristol City.

No other reason than the name appeals to my extreme immaturity.

Since90+2
28-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Not that I've given it much thought but if pushed id probably say Wednesday over United, purely as their name is unique. There's about a million clubs called United.

Clarence
28-08-2023, 05:18 PM

“You fill up my senses…”

Nakedmanoncrack
28-08-2023, 09:59 PM

Wednesday decidedly more Hunnish, regular pre-season games with the Current Buns and a friendship between fans.

HITSB6
28-08-2023, 10:22 PM
Think I remember reading that Notts County were the inspiration for Juventus's kit.

That's right and when Juventus opened their new stadium they played Notts County in the opening match!

Keith_M
29-08-2023, 10:42 AM
That's right and when Juventus opened their new stadium they played Notts County in the opening match!

And unbelievably, it actually finished 1-1.

https://youtu.be/zZr_f242Jcw

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2023, 11:07 AM
Ipswich over Norwich
Villa over the Midlands clubs
Utd over Wed
Oxford over Swindon
Gillingham over Millwall
Forest over County
Swansea over Cardiff

Lancs Harp
29-08-2023, 07:19 PM
Blackpool over preston
Chesterfield over Mansfield

Not two teams i the same town obviously but the thread seems to have migrated to rivalries.

NYHibby
29-08-2023, 11:04 PM

I used to live within walking distance of Loftus Road. In the spirit of this topic, I believe Hammersmith and Fulham Borough was the only council for awhile to have three teams in the premier league.

Although I don’t think Loftus Road has an old school feel. It is a dumpy 80s stadium which has no leg room and tight, narrow concourses. The Johnny Haynes stand is old school

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2023, 06:13 PM
Liked Arsenal since 1971's double. Moved to London in 1991 and children went to an Arsenal primary school. Went to Higbury and saw the end of Graham and start of Wenger eras. Now back living in Islington and everybody is an Arsenal fan. The club is so inclusive of all. Love the Atmosphere, the whole stadium sings. Very few moaners. Off to Sunday's game against Man U and looking forward to the edge in that one.

Michael
30-08-2023, 06:28 PM
Brentford are my English team. Perfect fit for Hibs fans because Brentford are the "bees".