PDA

View Full Version : Who for next manager?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 08:11 PM
As it says, who do you want next? It’s now inevitable LJ will be sacked soon.

Can’t seem to run a poll but some names I’ve seen people mention:

Derek MacInnes (gets my vote)
Stephen Robinson
Scott Brown
Malky Mackay
David Martindale
Chris Wilder
Roy Keane

TamHibs
26-08-2023, 08:12 PM
McInnes for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:12 PM
No one on that list. McInnes especially - gives me the absolute fear.

Silky
26-08-2023, 08:14 PM
Michael O'Neill.

Lee Marvin
26-08-2023, 08:15 PM

Why, may I ask?

Trinity Hibee
Michael O'Neill.

Good shout

H18 SFR
Michael O'Neill.

What do you think it would cost to buy him out his contract?

Unseen work
Derek Mcinnes.

I reckon he’d get us 3rd/4th quite comfortably up against hearts and Aberdeen’s management teams

I think whoever it was would have some sort of connection to McDermott though.

sauzeelegod
26-08-2023, 08:16 PM
From that list, Chris Wilder.
Would be surprised if he came up here though.

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:17 PM
Why, may I ask?

Aberdeen fan influence - they were far from happy.

Now I live in Ayrshire, I work with Killie fans, they’d not shed a tear if he went.

S4uzee
26-08-2023, 08:18 PM

Now I live in Ayrshire, I work with Killie fans, they’d not shed a tear if he went.

Really? Surprised at that

mayo hibee
26-08-2023, 08:18 PM

Fear that we might have a period of success for a change?

thebausburst
26-08-2023, 08:19 PM
Hibs league target is ‘best of the rest’ (consistently) then McInness’s record makes him the best (realistic) target surely.

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 08:20 PM

Really? Killie fans aren’t fussed. Find that hard to believe

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:20 PM
Fear that we might have a period of success for a change?

I am sorry if the words I used insinuated I’d be fearful of success. I did not intend that to be how they were taken.

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:21 PM
Really? Killie fans aren’t fussed. Find that hard to believe

I will quantify my point to the few killie fans I work with would not be sad to see him go. I am happy to clarify that I am not suggesting that their views are the same as the wider Kilmarnock support - just the views of the ones I work with.

CentreLine
26-08-2023, 08:25 PM
I’m just please for the football geniuses that howled abuse and wanted rid of Paul Heckingbottom and Jack Ross. Must be pleased with how that has turned out

bingo70
26-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Is Darren Moore realistic?

There were rumour he asked for huge amounts of money once he got Sheff Wed promoted but he came out last week and denied that. I get the impression he wanted back into work again.

Apart from him other suggestions are….

Graham Arnold (my first choice if we can get him)
Nick Montgomery
Stephen Bradley

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 08:27 PM
I’m just please for the football geniuses that howled abuse and wanted rid of Paul Heckingbottom and Jack Ross. Must be pleased with how that has turned out

So you want LJ to stay? Not sure what your point is. Both Hecky and Ross were on horrible runs when they were sacked. It’s how football works.

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 08:28 PM

There were rumour he asked for huge amounts of money once he got Sheff Wed promoted but he came out last week and denied that. I get the impression he wanted back into work again.

Nick Montgomery
Stephen Bradley

Interesting options. Can’t say I know much about most of them

Kano Kirsty
26-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Ian Murray.

Hibeewilly
26-08-2023, 08:30 PM
Add McInnes to that. We had the chance to get a proven SPL manager in but so many didn't want him because he played for Rangers. Ridiculous mentality. He was the best available by a mile.

bingo70
26-08-2023, 08:32 PM
Interesting options. Can’t say I know much about most of them

In all honesty, other than Graham Arnold who is probably unrealistic I’m the same. On the face of it Montgomery and Bradley have done excellent jobs but I don’t know much about them and how they’re attributes would transfer to
Hibs.

bingo70
26-08-2023, 08:36 PM
Is Scott Brown a realistic option?

Sure I heard he’s popular with the Fleetwood fans but I’ve no idea how good a job he’s doing.

Keepthefaith
26-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Add McInnes to that. We had the chance to get a proven SPL manager in but so many didn't want him because he played for Rangers. Ridiculous mentality. He was the best available by a mile.

Except it's not been about him being ex rangers from what I recall, it was more the industrial football his team played. Our fans and our board demanded an attacking attractive style. It's just not turned out very well, but Johnson appeared to have the credentials at the time.

There are no guarantees with plenty of examples from across the league's to evidence it sometimes it's about fit however I'm more confident of us getting it right this time with our DoF at the club...

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:37 PM

Sure I heard he’s popular with the Fleetwood fans but I’ve no idea how good a job he’s doing.

Second bottom of the league. No wins in 5. Under pressure as well.

04Sauzee
26-08-2023, 08:38 PM

Nick Montgomery
Stephen Bradley
Sheffield Wednesday rediculous amount of points in the 1st Division and didn't gain automatic promotion, then lost the 1st leg of the semi 4-0 and still made the final where they beat Barnsley. In saying all that i thought their brand of football was dreadful.

Think he'll get a gig in the English championship or 1st. The media seem to like him but like I say I wasn't keen on his football.

nickwhibs
26-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Stuart Kettlewell has been doing a good job at Motherwell and comes across well. Though the safer bet would be McInnes

berwickhibee
26-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Callum Davidson for me💚

Keepthefaith
26-08-2023, 08:42 PM
Callum Davidson for me💚

Jesus wept. Are we really stooping so low??

Would our DoF oversee daz and gray coming in? Have to say I also hold our coaching team to account and last 2 stints of interim weren't great from him...

BoomtownHibees
26-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Callum Davidson for me💚

wow

bingo70
26-08-2023, 08:49 PM
Tam Courts was at the game today.

Wouldn’t be my choice but worth throwing his hat in the ring seeing as he was there today.

Unseen work
26-08-2023, 09:00 PM
Tam Courts was at the game today.

Wouldn’t be my choice but worth throwing his hat in the ring seeing as he was there today.

Dear god no, keep Johnson!

KWJ
26-08-2023, 09:00 PM
Some highly unlikely names that I'd be excited by

Graham Potter
Ruud van nistelrooy
Andres Villa Boas
Karel Geraerts
Ralph Hassenhuttl
Christoph Galtier
Jolen Lopetegui

And **** it, Zidane.

Perhaps realistic if not as exciting could be Nathan Jones.

Geraerts maybe worth an ask, can only see him linked with Nice and Strasbourg since he left Union SG.

Irish_Steve
26-08-2023, 09:14 PM
It always makes me laugh when pundits say how great a manager Klopp/Mourinho/Guardiola etc are when there's loads of dosh to splash around.

Now, surely to god people realise I'm not touting those lot but you do wonder how they would cope trying to coach our lot, it would be a severe test of how good they were

Stephen Robinson for me

churchie16
26-08-2023, 09:16 PM
I’ve heard a name mentioned twice now, Darren Moore just saying what’s been passed on.

leith lynx
26-08-2023, 09:18 PM
Michael O'Neill hopefully.

LewysGot2
26-08-2023, 09:19 PM
It always makes me laugh when pundits say how great a manager Klopp/Mourinho/Guardiola etc are when there's loads of dosh to splash around.

Now, surely to god people realise I'm not touting those lot but you do wonder how they would cope trying to coach our lot, it would be a severe test of how good they were

Stephen Robinson for me

Aye, Pep certainly didn’t have to earn his stripes at East Stirling, St Mirren, Aberdeen or the like :agree:

Klopp started at Mainz in Bundesliga 2, built them to the point they were promoted- and eventually got his own move to Dortmund. Though he’d do well to get a tune out of our rickety fiddle :thumbsup:

Unseen work
26-08-2023, 09:19 PM
I’ve heard a name mentioned twice now, Darren Moore just saying what’s been passed on.

You’ve heard in mentioned in what way?

Hiber-nation
26-08-2023, 09:20 PM

If you like long ball hoofball he's your man. Sheff Wed were brutal to watch last season.

04Sauzee
26-08-2023, 09:22 PM

Heard from who?

Got Sheffield Wednesday promoted but his football was still horrible to watch.

KWJ
26-08-2023, 09:27 PM

Stephen Robinson for me

Klopp and Mourinho worked their way up with teams of our size.

zitelli62
26-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Let's go foreign not a clue who but got to be better than the managerial merry go round names.

Nicho87
26-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Mcinnes

The EXPERIMENT with maloney and Johnson who have never managed in the league before, what more proof do you need.

Mcinnes the only credible option in my eyes.

bingo70
26-08-2023, 09:31 PM
Mcinnes

The EXPERIMENT with maloney and Johnson who have never managed in the league before, what more proof do you need.

Mcinnes the only credible option in my eyes.

What if he doesn’t want it?

Allant1981
26-08-2023, 09:33 PM
Klopp and Mourinho worked their way up with teams of our size.

What teams our size did mourinho manage? I thought he went from benfica to Porto? I may be totally wrong though

CentreLine
26-08-2023, 09:33 PM
So you want LJ to stay? Not sure what your point is. Both Hecky and Ross were on horrible runs when they were sacked. It’s how football works.

Nothing about my post said I want LJ to stay but I sure wanted to see PH and JR have more time.

WhileTheChief..
26-08-2023, 09:35 PM
No names, but I want someone who wants to make Hibs challenge properly for things. Someone who will never accept 5th or a semi final as success.

Someone with a bit of an aura about them, that you want to listen to, that you respect.

Ideally he will have won something with another club at a decent level.

No journeymen from lower leagues anywhere, no first timer, no one with a connection to BK, BM or anyone else at Hibs.

Don’t care what nationality he is. I want someone that makes us sit up and go “nice one Hibs, didn’t see that coming”.

I don’t want anyone that makes as collectively go “wtf?”.

There’s plenty managers out there who can make us better and get us to where we want to be.

He’ll be backed by the board, and more importantly, I think the fans will really rally behind the new man if we get the right guy in.

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 09:36 PM
Nothing about my post said I want LJ to stay but I sure wanted to see PH and JR have more time.

There seems to be a lot of that tonight - contributors
Making pretty clear posts for someone to say so you want xyz which is completely and utterly unconnected to their post. Really bizarre.

Trinity Hibee
26-08-2023, 09:37 PM
There seems to be a lot of that tonight - contributors
Making pretty clear posts for someone to say so you want xyz which is completely and utterly unconnected to their post. Really bizarre.

Eh? It was a question to a post which wasn’t clear. Not sure what you are on about. Wasn’t putting words in his mouth which is exactly what you’ve done. The irony

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 09:38 PM
Eh? It was a question to a post which wasn’t clear. Not sure what you are on about

You’re just making my point. Read my post - that’s what I am on about.

Iain G
26-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Yogi and John Collins, hibsdreamteam, you heard it here first 😁

Vault Boy
26-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Scott Parker if I’m being delusional. Derek McInnes if I’m being realistic, if not slightly optimistic.

Shota Arveladze, Sabri Lamouchi, or Dan Cowley for slightly left field options.

Iain G
26-08-2023, 09:56 PM
Scott Parker if I’m being delusional. Derek McInnes if I’m being realistic, if not slightly optimistic.

Shota Arveladze, Sabri Lamouchi, or Dan Cowley for slightly left field options.

Scott Parker would get so much **** for his cardigans that he wouldn't last 2 weeks here, also he isnt very good!

Vault Boy
26-08-2023, 10:00 PM
Scott Parker would get so much **** for his cardigans that he wouldn't last 2 weeks here, also he isnt very good!

The cardigans could rival Jack Ross’ sartorial displays!

He got both Fulham and Bournemouth promoted to the EPL at the first time of asking IIRC, and was very unlucky to get sacked by the latter IMO, albeit suffering some very heavy defeats in the top flight. He tries to play the right way.

Anyway, will be well outwith our budget I’d imagine.

SaulGoodman
26-08-2023, 10:01 PM
Frank Lampard hahaha that would be a decent appointment.

No but seriously we need a good manager

Nicho87
26-08-2023, 10:05 PM
What if he doesn’t want it?

Neil Lennon
Steven Robinson
Michael O’Neil

In that order

gazzag70
26-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Lennon or Mcinnes for me, in that order.

chookyembra
26-08-2023, 10:19 PM
Anyone who has zero connection to Them.

SON OF PADDY
26-08-2023, 10:20 PM
As it says, who do you want next? It’s now inevitable LJ will be sacked soon.

Can’t seem to run a poll but some names I’ve seen people mention:

Derek MacInnes (gets my vote)
Stephen Robinson
Scott Brown
Malky Mackay
David Martindale
Chris Wilder
Roy Keane

Stephen Robinson for me.

Unseen work
26-08-2023, 10:25 PM
Before I found the whole “no lower league English manager” chat really boring.

But now I feel like I’m on board with it, I just think being ‘successful’ down there is so different.

They don’t go up against as many teams that will just sit in and counter for 90 minutes the way teams do here. They also seem to underestimate it and have an arrogance for no real reason.

At least Maloney tried to play football to unlock defences. Without going too deep into it I really would like to have seen what he would have done with a squad of players we have now and pace to stretch teams. The poor boy was choosing between James Scott, Drey Wright, Elias Melkersen, Chris Mueller and Sylvester Jasper to play as part of his front 3!!!! Honestly just let that sink in.

The squad we have no are capable of being coached into a decent team, we still need another centre mid or 2 in my opinion. Defensively yes we could sign more and better players but a bit of organisation would go a long long way. It just seems like a free for all at the back

JimBHibees
26-08-2023, 10:31 PM

He is doing a great job for Killie..

JimBHibees
26-08-2023, 10:33 PM
Before I found the whole “no lower league English manager” chat really boring.

But now I feel like I’m on board with it, I just think being ‘successful’ down there is so different.

They don’t go up against as many teams that will just sit in and counter for 90 minutes the way teams do here. They also seem to underestimate it and have an arrogance for no real reason.

At least Maloney tried to play football to unlock defences. Without going too deep into it I really would like to have seen what he would have done with a squad of players we have now and pace to stretch teams. The poor boy was choosing between James Scott, Drey Wright, Elias Melkersen, Chris Mueller and Sylvester Jasper to play as part of his front 3!!!! Honestly just let that sink in.

The squad we have no are capable of being coached into a decent team, we still need another centre mid or 2 in my opinion. Defensively yes we could sign more and better players but a bit of organisation would go a long long way. It just seems like a free for all at the back

Yep we look a very poorly coached team little structure. A decent coach improves that immediately imo

He's here!
26-08-2023, 10:36 PM
Stubbsy or Jack Ross. Both got a good eye for a player.

CropleyWasGod
26-08-2023, 10:37 PM
Ian Murray.

Couldn't beat the Hibs, so naw :greengrin

ScottB
26-08-2023, 10:38 PM
In no particular order of requirements…

• Nobody who has been here before. Times have moved on, so did they, no encores.
• No failures, or at least not a failure in their last job. Hiring folk who’ve just been sacked for not being good enough seems to, funnily enough, lead to us sacking them for not being good enough. Somebody on an upward trajectory would be nice for a change.
• No rookies. Normally I love a coach with promise, but mid season when we’re in a mess is not the time for a bold gamble on somebody cutting their teeth, as we saw with Maloney. Really it’s why we should have moved on from Lee in the summer.

Oh and Malky Mackay can absolutely get ******.

Irish_Steve
26-08-2023, 10:39 PM
Anyone who has zero connection to Them.

That's a tad unfair on Van Morrison

WWFTWTG
26-08-2023, 10:42 PM
Get him out now - Lennon until end of the season

JKeatings
26-08-2023, 10:42 PM
From that list, Chris Wilder.
Would be surprised if he came up here though.

A known hearts fan, not a chance is he coming here.

jeffers
26-08-2023, 10:49 PM
A known hearts fan, not a chance is he coming here.

He’s a Hearts fan ?

Basildon Hibs
26-08-2023, 10:56 PM
Some highly unlikely names that I'd be excited by

Graham Potter
Ruud van nistelrooy
Andres Villa Boas
Karel Geraerts
Ralph Hassenhuttl
Christoph Galtier
Jolen Lopetegui

And **** it, Zidane.

Perhaps realistic if not as exciting could be Nathan Jones.

Geraerts maybe worth an ask, can only see him linked with Nice and Strasbourg since he left Union SG.

A shaved monkey.

badabing67
26-08-2023, 11:10 PM

So far in League One he has DLLLL so 1 point more than us, but he got that from Carlisle Utd who themselves have only managed to get DLDLL

Callum_62
26-08-2023, 11:21 PM
Robbie neilson

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

wookie70
26-08-2023, 11:59 PM
I'd be McInnes and if not Robinson. Both know the league, both seem to be able to get the sum of a team worth more than its individuals and both get players to play in a shape that makes sense. McInnes stayed too long at Aberdeen. Up until the last couple of years his record was excellent. He also scores goals, knows how to win ugly and always has a nice mix of grit and flair. I've certainly moaned, like most, as Aberdeen chop down a Hibs player yet again to stop a promising attack. These days though everyone seems to do it bar us. The big issue with McInnes is he is loyal so probably wouldn't come. He has the Thes connection but he also turned managing them down so that squares that up to me. LJ is finished as the players have completely lost confidence. They are not playing for each other and look terrified of getting involved in the game. So many poor touches and misplaced passes which would be bad enough but it is within our playing context of slow, laborious, safe build up play. THe players may not be brilliant but they are miles better than they are performing and they look like they need direction. We were beat in teh tunnel before walking out against Villa and I don't think we were far behind that today

O'Rourke3
27-08-2023, 12:40 AM
Where are we getting the money to buy McInness, Robinson or others out of their present employment?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

FitbaFolkKen
27-08-2023, 12:42 AM
McInnes and if not him Brian McDermott.

HoboHarry
27-08-2023, 01:20 AM
Where are we getting the money to buy McInness, Robinson or others out of their present employment?

A good number of posters seem to hail from Narnia, maybe they have money trees there.

Forza Fred
27-08-2023, 01:31 AM
There’s a guy in Australia I could recommend but no doubt he would be scoffed at because he is operating in what is seen as a lower level and has no experience in Scotland.

I mean, look at how bad that other guy did, because of his inexperience in Scotland.

Can’t remember that guy’s second name but think his first was Ange something.

joebakerforever
27-08-2023, 01:33 AM
Kettlewell
Robinson
Lennon
McInnes
Courts

neil7908
27-08-2023, 02:06 AM
I honestly don't know. Maybe just in a mood but I find all the names underwhelming.

I watched so many Aberdeen games where his team came to ER and were brutal. Yes they did win more than their fair share but I remember myself and others remarking on here that I'd struggle to watch that every week.

Maybe that's what we need at the moment but he's definitely not inspiring me.

And please for the love of God, let's not even consider Ross or Lennon. I liked both at times during their spell as manager but we need to move on, and each got the sack for a reason, and equally aren't in manager gigs for a reason.

Iain G
27-08-2023, 06:11 AM
There’s a guy in Australia I could recommend but no doubt he would be scoffed at because he is operating in what is seen as a lower level and has no experience in Scotland.

I mean, look at how bad that other guy did, because of his inexperience in Scotland.

Can’t remember that guy’s second name but think his first was Ange something.

U*** Talay? If nothing else for the wonderful mispronounced versions of his name we would get in sportscene 😁

Edit: guess the sweary filter doesn't like it either 🤣

Pretty Boy
27-08-2023, 06:35 AM
McInnes or Robinson if we went down the route of a Scottish manager proven at this level. Probably far too soon but Rhys McCabe and Bartley are also 2 I would be keeping an eye on.

Don't want Michael O'Neill. Was a mixed bag at Stoke and I think he's a manger suited to a job like Northern Ireland where they will go into a huge number of games as underdogs. That isn't the case domestically at Hibs.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2023, 06:38 AM

Same place we got the money to spend £700K on Vente.

I'd argue using the money we bring in from the Villa game to go out and get a proven manager would be a better use than giving it to Johnson to bring in another player. A decent manager gets more from this squad even with it's obvious issues.

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 06:51 AM
A good number of posters seem to hail from Narnia, maybe they have money trees there.

Hail from Narnia because they think we can get the Kilmarnock or St Mirren manager?

Managers rarely go for much money in comparison to players and we’ve shown we’re willing to spend money as shown over the last 18 months.

Scooter
27-08-2023, 07:00 AM
I just want it left to the DoF to hire, that's partly what he here to do

Walter
27-08-2023, 07:02 AM
For once I'd like us to go out and bully other teams, win the effing game and then start the good football. A spine in the team, someone dominating at the back and a brute in the middle that opposing players don't want to face. Let's be Hibs who you know you are in a game with

Trinity Hibee
27-08-2023, 07:04 AM
For once I'd like us to go out and bully other teams, win the effing game and then start the good football. A spine in the team, someone dominating at the back and a brute in the middle that opposing players don't want to face. Let's be Hibs who you know you are in a game with

I keep hearing about the Hibs way and entertaining football. Very few managers have actually achieved that so I agree let’s just get to a stage where we are winning the majority of games we should be winning and consistently challenging for 3rd place.

Getting sick fed up of this same crap on repeat for years. Really depressing stuff.

Caversham Green
27-08-2023, 07:18 AM
If it was later in the season (and we were reasonably safe from relegation) I'd be all for McDermott taking over as interim manager with a view to making it permanent if he does well enough. It's what he did when he took over the shambles left by Brendan Rodgers at Reading and turned them round immediately. I'm not so sure about taking it on for the whole season though as that all happened a long time ago.

Incidentally, LJ's Sky interview is very reminiscent of Rodgers' last few interview as Reading manager.

Since452
27-08-2023, 07:23 AM
Nobody springs to mind. But that's not the fans job. It's the clubs job. The worrying thing for me is that it was a choice between LJ and JDT last time. After an extensive search they made it to the final two. JDT is also failing spectacularly at his current club. We've thought these two were the best candidates. Pretty worrying.

Since452
27-08-2023, 07:25 AM
Kettlewell
Robinson
Lennon
McInnes
Courts

That is a horrendous list. Scary.

B.H.F.C
27-08-2023, 07:33 AM

Heckingbottom won 1 league game from his last 16 so not sure what kind of point you’re trying to make there.

Ross is a bit more debatable obviously.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 07:33 AM
Nobody springs to mind. But that's not the fans job. It's the clubs job. The worrying thing for me is that it was a choice between LJ and JDT last time. After an extensive search they made it to the final two. JDT is also failing spectacularly at his current club. We've thought these two were the best candidates. Pretty worrying.

Not sure what you’re on about here. Jon Dahl Tommasson had Blackburn finish 7th last season which is a great season for them. They are bottom half in terms of budget, so whilst they’d have been disappointed not to reach the play offs it was still their best finish since they were relegated over 10 years ago.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 07:34 AM
Not sure what you’re on about here. Jon Dahl Tommasson had Blackburn finish 7th last season which is a great season for them. They are bottom half in terms of budget, so whilst they’d have been disappointed not to reach the play offs it was still their best finish since they were relegated over 10 years ago.

:agree:

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 07:38 AM
Stephen Robinson is easily my number one preference. McInnes probably second.

Hope we have one of them in soon

scuttle
27-08-2023, 07:47 AM
Think it would have to be someone without a job at the moment and desperate to get back into football.Can’t see anyone like McInnes coming if they have a football brain. No defence, midfield poor and the transfer window shutting this week, meaning they would be stuck with the squad until January. By then it could well be too late and another reputation tarnished.Johnson has to go though and now IMO

greenpaper55
27-08-2023, 07:49 AM
Ian Murray for me instead of the usual re treads. Worth taking a chance with him as he seems to be doing a decent job right now.

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 07:49 AM
Fancied Liam Manning last time round and would like us to go for him this time.

Since452
27-08-2023, 07:54 AM

They finished on the same points, one place higher but lost more games and scored less goals than the season before JDT. Hardly progress.

thebausburst
27-08-2023, 07:55 AM
Ian Murray for me instead of the usual re treads. Worth taking a chance with him as he seems to be doing a decent job right now.

Done literally nothing to merit the Hibs job, only mentioned as an ex player, may as well bring yogi back whose managerial record is far superior.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 07:58 AM
They finished on the same points, one place higher but lost more games and scored less goals than the season before JDT. Hardly progress.

So they finished equal points wise and better league position wise to the previous season, which was also their best season in nearly a decade up until last season, despite their budget being one befitting of a team much further down the league.

Doesn’t quite sound like ‘failing spectacularly’ to me.

Since452
27-08-2023, 08:03 AM
So they finished equal points wise and better league position wise to the previous season, which was also their best season in nearly a decade up until last season, despite their budget being one befitting of a team much further down the league.

Doesn’t quite sound like ‘failing spectacularly’ to me.

Well it is if you go by your mantra of saying LJ hasn't improved us since Maloney

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 08:06 AM
Well it is if you go by your mantra of saying LJ hasn't improved us since Maloney
They followed up a successful season by having an even more successful season, punching above their weight both times.

We followed up a failure of a season by having a slightly less failure of a season and then continuing into the next season by failing.

The two are incomparable.

B.H.F.C
27-08-2023, 08:09 AM
Don’t know who but, for me, we need a manager who has a bit of presence that the players have a bit of respect for.

If you look at the last couple they use all their fancy words and basically prattle on. I just can’t imagine it inspiring players at all, in fact from watching them play you can see it doesn’t.

A competent manager would come in and make a difference simply by giving us a bit shape and organisation and letting our good attacking players get on the ball in the right areas.

jeffers
27-08-2023, 08:10 AM
Same place we got the money to spend £700K on Vente.

I'd argue using the money we bring in from the Villa game to go out and get a proven manager would be a better use than giving it to Johnson to bring in another player. A decent manager gets more from this squad even with it's obvious issues.

That money came direct from Ian Gordon.

Since452
27-08-2023, 08:11 AM
They followed up a successful season by having an even more successful season, punching above their weight both times.

We followed up a failure of a season by having a slightly less failure of a season and then continuing into the next season by failing. 7th/8th. Same difference.

The two are incomparable.

"An even more successful season"? More defeats, less goals, same points? Imagine that was a Hibs manager? Their feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way out the door.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 08:12 AM
"An even more successful season"? More defeats, less goals, same points? Imagine that was a Hibs manager? Their feet would touch the ground on the way out the door.

Must have had more wins as well then?

Since452
27-08-2023, 08:12 AM
Must have had more wins as well then?

One more. An extremely less attractive style of play as well.

Hibs90
27-08-2023, 08:13 AM
Ian Murray walked past me in Nicholson Street last night about 1am.

Make of that what you will

:greengrin

JimBHibees
27-08-2023, 08:15 AM
That is a horrendous list. Scary.

Agree only one wouldn't put a line through was Mcinnes

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 08:16 AM
One more. An extremely less attractive style of play as well.

Think you should stop digging. JDT hasn’t failed at Blackburn

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 08:17 AM
"An even more successful season"? More defeats, less goals, same points? Imagine that was a Hibs manager? Their feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way out the door.

And you’ve conveniently missed the fact he won more and finished higher up the league, following up pretty well on what was a very good season for them the season before.

What you’ve posted was nonsense. As someone else has said, it’s probably best you stop digging.

Rhibs23
27-08-2023, 08:18 AM
I think we should be aiming higher than a lot of the names mentioned really. We need someone who has experience playing and managing at a level above ours to drag the club upwards.

I dont have anybody in particular in mind but recycling the same names we always do when looking for a manager is getting a bit tiresome.

Now I know getting someone with that sort of background is probably worth more than what we have offered out before but in my opinion getting in a coaching team with proven experience at that level is 100% worth the investment.

jeffers
27-08-2023, 08:20 AM
Don’t know who but, for me, we need a manager who has a bit of presence that the players have a bit of respect for.

If you look at the last couple they use all their fancy words and basically prattle on. I just can’t imagine it inspiring players at all, in fact from watching them play you can see it doesn’t.

A competent manager would come in and make a difference simply by giving us a bit shape and organisation and letting our good attacking players get on the ball in the right areas.

SDG and Daz have the presence and respect. In the interim I think that’s what we will do. There will be posts saying not SDG ‘cos he’s been part of the last three coaching teams, but without knowing exactly what influence he has I don’t think that’s a fair judgement. If they do well it wouldn’t surprise me if they get it permanently.

I’m not saying that’s my number one choice, I’m another one wanting McInnes but that ship has sailed + he wasn’t considered the last two times, so doubt that would change now. I’d like to see us go for a foreign manager, someone from Scandinavia though couldn’t name a single candidate.

The Modfather
27-08-2023, 08:23 AM

We need someone that understands good teams are, largely, defined by their central midfield IMO. It doesn’t have to be Mcinnes but you can point to his sides being built around Shinnie and then Ferguson. That’s the key to a successful manager and Hibs team IMO.

All the more bemusing when we only have to go back a few seasons to see a template of one of the most balanced Hibs midfields I’ve seen in terms of their roles and how those roles complimented the others in McGeough, McGinn & Allan. I would have a good deal of understanding if you could see Hibs trying to replicate that template but it’s simply too big an ask to replace quality like for like.

As it is we’ve been fixated on the defensive midfield role/position on the park being the fix to all our midfield woes in signing Gogic, Kenneh, Jeggo, then same position but different role in Levitt. As well as the following players playing that defensive midfield role, Egan-Reilly, Delfierre, Porteous & Stevenson.

gbhibby
27-08-2023, 08:29 AM
Yogi and John Collins, hibsdreamteam, you heard it here first 😁
Not a bad shout would be the fittest team in the league both trophy winners in the Scottish game. They both need something to keep them of the golf course. Both of them are probably much fitter than our first team squad.

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 08:29 AM

:greengrinDid he shrug his shoulders?

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 08:30 AM
We need someone that understands good teams are, largely, defined by their central midfield IMO. It doesn’t have to be Mcinnes but you can point to his sides being built around Shinnie and then Ferguson. That’s the key to a successful manager and Hibs team IMO.

All the more bemusing when we only have to go back a few seasons to see a template of one of the most balanced Hibs midfields I’ve seen in terms of their roles and how those roles complimented the others in McGeough, McGinn & Allan. I would have a good deal of understanding if you could see Hibs trying to replicate that template but it’s simply too big an ask to replace quality like for like.

As it is we’ve been fixated on the defensive midfield role/position on the park being the fix to all our midfield woes in signing Gogic, Kenneh, Jeggo, then same position but different role in Levitt. As well as the following players playing that defensive midfield role, Egan-Reilly, Delfierre, Porteous & Stevenson.

Your obsession with this is getting a bit weird.

We finished 3rd with a midfield you thought was rubbish. Hearts were 3rd with Devlin and Haring in centre midfield.

Aberdeen had a central midfield last year that were beaten 5-0 at Tynecastle and 6-0 by us.

The Modfather
27-08-2023, 08:37 AM

We finished 3rd with a midfield you thought was rubbish. Hearts were 3rd with Devlin and Haring in centre midfield.

Aberdeen had a central midfield last year that were beaten 5-0 at Tynecastle and 6-0 by us.

You don’t agree our midfield is imbalanced and has been an issue for years without being properly addressed?

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 08:38 AM

I don’t think it’s weird at all.

We all moan about the fact we have a horribly unbalanced midfield that doesn’t do anything to complement each other. The Allan, McGinn, McGeough midfield was as close to perfect in terms of complimenting each other as you’ll ever get, even without considering the exceptional ability of them.

They pretty much covered all bases in terms of at least one of them being very good at every single aspect a midfield needs to be good at.

Whilst they were very talented individually, I’d argue that because of how well balanced they were that they were actually greater than the sum of their parts.

h185forever
27-08-2023, 08:39 AM
We’ve tried a few managers now who weren’t knowledgeable about the current SPL teams/players.

To bring some stability to ER we really need someone who can set us up properly to compete in the league.

We are a few weeks into the season and our set of professional athletes look like they are nearing April instead of September.
I really don’t understand that …but it’s been the same for a few years ..we can’t get 90 mins out of the team ….why is that ?

I’ve always felt the squad seems to be too soft and maybe east mains is more like a Spa than a workplace.
Get the ******* up and down the dunes at Gullane until they show a bit more fitness. If the stats the trainers are seeing say they are fit, then they definitely aren’t hungry enough to be wearing our colours.

LJ isn’t improving any of them that I can see and the promised high tempo, high pressing game is rarely evident.

oh …and Passing ……professional footballers ….aye well !

Get a real manager in and the imposters out …whatever their role.

darwenhibby
27-08-2023, 08:47 AM
JDT is a little frustrated at Blackburn
Venkys can only pull so much money out of India due to some new financial implications from their government.
I was told they wanted Vente but couldn’t justify the fee.
The people I know who go and watch Blackburn are happy with the way he tries to play football
I still think a solid experience manager of Scottish football is needed
McInnes
Robinson
Kettlewell

Bostonhibby
27-08-2023, 08:47 AM

:greengrinOn it's own it means nothing, but I was out for a very good Ruby Murray around the same time.

Too much of a coincidence? I think not, bring him home.

Kevin Thomson as assistant but rested for Sevco matches?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2023, 08:49 AM
I’d be going all balls out for Derek McInnes. Tried and tested and at this juncture, exactly what Hibernian Football Club needs.

He and McDermott, on paper, would be an excellent team.

Make it happen Kensell, you unbuttoned, bronzed sexbomb.

Stubbsy90+2
27-08-2023, 08:56 AM
I’d be going all balls out for Derek McInnes. Tried and tested and at this juncture, exactly what Hibernian Football Club needs.

McIness is the kind of guy you give a long term deal to. Not Lee ****ing Johnson who was coming in off the back of a League One sacking.

Alex Trager
27-08-2023, 08:59 AM

McIness is the kind of guy you give a long term deal to. Not Lee ****ing Johnson who was coming in off the back of a League One sacking.

Hear hear.

Get him in Hibs.

Scottie
27-08-2023, 09:02 AM

Did he no suggest he didn't want to come to us in the past before or was it just a rumour :dunno:

Wilson
27-08-2023, 09:04 AM

I'm just not seeing it. If his Killie team were playing especially good football or putting teams away then I'd get it.

They lost away to Motherwell yesterday. We can achieve that already with Johnson. 0-0 away to Livi. We'd take that as a one off result but how about in a succession of similar? Didn't beat Raith in the league cup groups. Write it off as early season form... or do folk on here get the knives out because (if it were hibs) we fail to beat a lower league team?

McInnes is living off a reputation built competing in a league without Rangers in it. Those days are gone. His results are so-so now.

Jim44
27-08-2023, 09:05 AM
I don’t think there will be a queue at the door waiting for a fleeting hold of the poisoned chalice.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2023, 09:05 AM
I'm just not seeing it. If his Killie team were playing especially good football or putting teams away then I'd get it.

They lost away to Motherwell yesterday. We can achieve that already with Johnson. 0-0 away to Livi. We'd take that as a one off result but how about in a succession of similar? Didn't beat Raith in the league cup groups. Write it off as early season form... or do folk on here get the knives out because (if it were hibs) we fail to beat a lower league team?

McInnes is living off a reputation built competing in a league without Rangers in it. Those days are gone. His results are so-so now.

Agree to an extent, but you’ve got to realise he’s at Kilmarnock now, who are (or at least should be) far further down the food chain in comparison to Hibs and Aberdeen.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 09:21 AM
You don’t agree our midfield is imbalanced and has been an issue for years without being properly addressed?

It’s not the root of our problems. We finished 3rd in a season where we mainly had Newell and Gogic in centre midfield. Because our team collectively were effective.

I want Hibs to build a good team.

flash
27-08-2023, 09:32 AM
Coming more and more to the idea of Robinson at St Mirren.

Talks really well and his teams play decent fitba.

The Modfather
27-08-2023, 09:36 AM
It’s not the root of our problems. We finished 3rd in a season where we mainly had Newell and Gogic in centre midfield. Because our team collectively were effective.

That’s a fair point of view, not one I agree with, but fair. Talking about weird obsessions isn’t constructive or adding anything to the debate though.

I believe central midfield is the most important area of any team. Especially if we want to be anything other than a poor, inconsistent team, that can achieve 3rd by being slightly less poor than the other 9 teams. As has been the case for the last while in terms of teams finishing 3rd, and then a big drop off the next season as we saw.

BoomtownHibees
27-08-2023, 09:37 AM

I reckon the midfield is exactly the root of our problems. It’s an area that has needed strengthened for a while now and it hasn’t

Daydreamer
27-08-2023, 09:46 AM
Big Steve Evans from Stevenage. Football would'nt be pretty but by god we would get some results. And we would finish 3rd.

Heisenberg
27-08-2023, 09:47 AM

I think I’d go for him too. Unsure if he’d want it though, kind of the same as McInnes. Both are very secure in their current jobs.

Gettin' Auld
27-08-2023, 09:48 AM
I'd love Stevie Clarke to get the job but that's not going to happen.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2023, 09:49 AM
That’s a fair point of view, not one I agree with, but fair. Talking about weird obsessions isn’t constructive or adding anything to the debate though.

I believe central midfield is the most important area of any team. Especially if we want to be anything other than a poor, inconsistent team, that can achieve 3rd by being slightly less poor than the other 9 teams. As has been the case for the last while in terms of teams finishing 3rd, and then a big drop off the next season as we saw.

Going on about McGinn and McGeouch every 5 minutes isn’t adding anything either.

GreenCastle
27-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Annoying we didn't appoint him before Kilmarnock as he would have been cheaper.

Now if Hibs come asking about him he will be on a much higher salary plus his back room staff plus the compensation to Killie.

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 09:53 AM

I’d be happy with him, can bring Ohara with him too.

lucky
27-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Robinson and MacInnes are the two front runners for me. I don't want someone with no experience of Scottish football. We've tried the lower leagues in England for players and managers and they very rarely work. Scottish football is not pretty it's physical and it's time we signed players to compete in that environment.

Skol

I am not sure what this is based on. Didn’t achieve much at Motherwell and resigned as he admitted he had taken them as far as he could as they headed towards the bottom of the league. Stabilised st mirren but not exactly hitting the levels we would expect at hibs. I don’t see him as being any better than we currently have.

eastmainsmsh
Maybe there is good players coming in before window closes with Henderson Melkerson Leaving will Johnson get a reprieve and could turn it around judging by net is it now a formality

Skol
27-08-2023, 10:18 AM
Robinson and MacInnes are the two front runners for me. I don't want someone with no experience of Scottish football. We've tried the lower leagues in England for players and managers and they very rarely work. Scottish football is not pretty it's physical and it's time we signed players to compete in that environment.

Williamson and butcher were tried and tested in Scotland. Duffy as well arguably. Our trophy winning managers had no managerial experience here but did have playing experience. But then so did maloney.

The Modfather
27-08-2023, 10:20 AM
Going on about McGinn and McGeouch every 5 minutes isn’t adding anything either.

You can always put me on ignore or skip past my posts when I’m banging on about the midfield, of which I acknowledge I definitely do bang on about it. However, It’s an issue that has got each manager from Lennon to, soon to be Johnson, sacked IMO. So a long-standing problem we haven’t ever got close to properly addressing, and a relevant conversation when discussing a new manager IMO.

timewilltell
27-08-2023, 10:22 AM
On it's own it means nothing, but I was out for a very good Ruby Murray around the same time.

Too much of a coincidence? I think not, bring him home.

Kevin Thomson as assistant but rested for Sevco matches?

Kevin Thomson? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Thank god you’re not in charge of recruitment!

flash
27-08-2023, 10:22 AM
I am not sure what this is based on. Didn’t achieve much at Motherwell and resigned as he admitted he had taken them as far as he could as they headed towards the bottom of the league. Stabilised st mirren but not exactly hitting the levels we would expect at hibs. I don’t see him as being any better than we currently have.

Well they played us off the park first game of the season.

easty
27-08-2023, 10:25 AM
McInnes. I can’t really see the argument against him being the right person. He’s consistently did a good job at this level, not just the one season with one side.

Absolutely not Calum Davidson, and Scott Browns name wouldn’t be mentioned at all if he’d not played for us. He’s done nothing to show he’s who we should bring in.

Paul1642
27-08-2023, 10:26 AM
Prior to Hibs job -

Johnson - Sacked by Sunderland and Bristol
Maloney - Untested
Ross - Sacked by Sunderland
Hecky - Sacked by Leeds
Lennon - Sacked by Bolton.

How about we go for a manager who is doing well at a ‘smaller’ club right now rather than someone out of work for poor performance in their previous role.

Greenworld
27-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

easty
27-08-2023, 10:29 AM
Prior to Hibs job -

Maloney - Untested
Hecky - Sacked by Leeds

How about we go for a manager who is doing well at a ‘smaller’ club right now rather than someone out of work for poor performance in their previous role.

Mourinho and Ancelotti have been sacked as managers. Being sacked doesn’t automatically mean you’re not a good option.

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 10:34 AM
McInnes. I can’t really see the argument against him being the right person. He’s consistently did a good job at this level, not just the one season with one side.

Absolutely not Calum Davidson, and Scott Browns name wouldn’t be mentioned at all if he’d not played for us. He’s done nothing to show he’s who we should bring in.

Would McInnes unite the support though? Besides him having a good record I'd really not want him TBH . I've also seen another poster saying he would probably not renew his season ticket if he got the job

Irish_Steve
27-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Mourinho and Ancelotti have been sacked as managers. Being sacked doesn’t automatically mean you’re not a good option.

There's some ridiculous stat that Jose has made in excess of £90Euros from having contracts paid up when he was punted from a job!

bingo70
27-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Prior to Hibs job -

Maloney - Untested
Hecky - Sacked by Leeds

I think the guy Bradley at shamrock rovers looks a decent fit for that reason.

I don’t think the fact he’s Irish and we once had a poor Irish manager should count against him, in the same way a Spanish manager doing a bad job somewhere shouldn’t rule out Guardiola from being a good manager somewhere else.

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 10:37 AM
Would McInnes unite the support though?Besides him having a good record I'd really not want him TBH . I've also seen another poster saying he would probably not renew his season ticket if he got the jobI don't get why we wouldn't unite the support

He's not controversial in the slightest and comes across really well in every TV interview I've seen

Bostonhibby
27-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Kevin Thomson? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thank god you’re not in charge of recruitment!I've got a roulette wheel so I think I could make a decent effort at appointing a manager along the same lines as we seem to have been doing recently.[emoji16]

Skol
27-08-2023, 10:43 AM
In my time following hibs we have won three trophies. Miller Collins and Stubbs were the managers. Only miller had prior experience as a manager and we didn’t exactly take to him

Thinking about manager who chose to leave for other jobs it has only been Mowbray and Stubbs unless I have forgotten someone.

All other managers have been dismissed.

Appointing a manager and getting it right is a notoriously difficult task. History suggests our better appointments were new to management. However there. Are other examples of new untried managers not. Being good enough.

This is why I think we as a club should ideally appoint someone and get behind them.

easty
27-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Would McInnes unite the support though? Besides him having a good record I'd really not want him TBH . I've also seen another poster saying he would probably not renew his season ticket if he got the job

Wins unite the support.

This weird “play the Hibs way thing” is just as mythical nowadays as the idea that McInnes teams are just kicking folk off the park.

Danny Armstrong is probably one of the most exciting players in the league just now at Killie.

The football under Jack Ross was dog meat, but folk want him back…he got results (until the wheels came off)

Skol
27-08-2023, 10:44 AM
I don't get why we wouldn't unite the support

He's not controversial in the slightest and comes across really well in every TV interview I've seen

Are you serious. Did you ever watch his interviews after he played hibs. Spoke a pile of rubbish.

jeffers
27-08-2023, 10:46 AM

Whoever we appoint there will be some fans who don’t take to him for whatever reason. Mcinness for me would be a good appointment, has a proven track record and sustained high league positions. The football was decent under him at Aberdeen til the latter stages and Killie don’t look too bad to watch under him either.

He’d be less of a gamble than some of the other names being mentioned. I don’t think we’ll go for him though.

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Are you serious. Did you ever watch his interviews after he played hibs. Spoke a pile of rubbish.I bet Aberdeen fans didn't think that and were lapping up our fury that they done us over again

I meant more his pundit work when he's not "being a manager" and protecting his clubs interests

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 10:49 AM
I don't get why we wouldn't unite the support

I think there's probably a few folk like myself mate that wouldn't want him due to the way his team's play. Our current manager and assistant have regularly had there hertz past brought up on occasions , would McInnes rangers one count against him with any of our fans ?

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2023, 10:53 AM
The new guy will get a fair bit of slack simply for not being LJ.

Fans have been waiting for a change for ages so this will come as a huge relief followed by some optimism and enthusiasm returning.

Starting from such a low position, the new guy has nothing to lose and simply can’t do any worse.

Removing LJ will be a big boost that we can build on.

CapitalGreen
27-08-2023, 10:57 AM
Thoughts on Kettlewell?

Did a decent job at County and seems to be doing a very good job at Motherwell. Without the benefit of a transfer window, he turned them into an excellent high pressing team last season and had their attacking players reaching new levels.

Motherwell have only lost twice in the league since his appointment (2-4 v Rangers and 1-2 v Dun Utd) - W11 D4 L2

I don’t know much else about him so interested in others opinions. Motherwell sample size is obviously small, any negatives or red flags about him?

Skol
27-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Thoughts on Kettlewell?

Did a decent job at County and seems to be doing a very good job at Motherwell. Without the benefit of a transfer window, he turned them into an excellent high pressing team last season and had their attacking players reaching new levels.

Motherwell have only lost twice in the league since his appointment (2-4 v Rangers and 1-2 v Dun Utd) - W11 D4 L2

I don’t know much else about him so interested in others opinions. Motherwell sample size is obviously small, any negatives or red flags about him?

I don’t think kettlewell would be welcomed by many in our support. However, he does appear to have something about him. I would prefer him over mcinnes or Robinson.

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 11:02 AM
Thoughts on Kettlewell?

I don’t know much else about him so interested in others opinions. Motherwell sample size is obviously small, any negatives or red flags about him?Absolutely not for me

We shouldn't be employing any manager because of a purple patch

Same was said about Martindale previously too

Borderhibbie76
27-08-2023, 11:02 AM
If McInnes can get us beating Sevco and Celtic ar home like he has Killie - I dint care how boring it is to watch - bring it on. Some fans need to get over this exciting football nonsense.. its a total myth and except under Mowbray and a few months under Lennon has hardly ever happened in my near 40 years watching Hibs

Hiber-nation
27-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Billy Reid?

Feed McGraw
27-08-2023, 11:19 AM
In my time following hibs we have won three trophies. Miller Collins and Stubbs were the managers. Only miller had prior experience as a manager and we didn’t exactly take to him

Thinking about manager who chose to leave for other jobs it has only been Mowbray and Stubbs unless I have forgotten someone.

All other managers have been dismissed.

Appointing a manager and getting it right is a notoriously difficult task. History suggests our better appointments were new to management. However there. Are other examples of new untried managers not. Being good enough.

This is why I think we as a club should ideally appoint someone and get behind them. McLeish & Williamson left to go to other clubs too I think.

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 11:25 AM
Whoever we appoint there will be some fans who don’t take to him for whatever reason. Mcinness for me would be a good appointment, has a proven track record and sustained high league positions. The football was decent under him at Aberdeen til the latter stages and Killie don’t look too bad to watch under him either.

He’d be less of a gamble than some of the other names being mentioned. I don’t think we’ll go for him though.

I be totally honest I've never liked watching Aberdeen under McInnes tbh . I remember one game against us were they scored and just choked the life out of the game . They got a win alright but it was awful stuff to watch.

Would we be able to prize a manager away from a league 1 team btw ?

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 11:27 AM
The more I think about it the more I really hope we get Stephen Robinson.

Bet St Mirren get pumped off Aberdeen today now I've said that

Lago
27-08-2023, 11:31 AM
The new guy will get a fair bit of slack simply for not being LJ.

Fans have been waiting for a change for ages so this will come as a huge relief followed by some optimism and enthusiasm returning.

Starting from such a low position, the new guy has nothing to lose and simply can’t do any worse.

Removing LJ will be a big boost that we can build on.
Simply not being L. J. is not the criteria I would consider sensible in the recruitment of a new manager.

hibeerealist
27-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Prior to Hibs job -

Maloney - Untested
Hecky - Sacked by Leeds

:aok:

xqnq1875
27-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Stephen Robinson ideal replacement for me rate him very highly, but would he leave us for st Mirren ? If the money is right I honestly think he would

Johnny Clash
27-08-2023, 11:57 AM
I'd love Stevie Clarke to get the job but that's not going to happen.

apparently Pat Nevin recommended Stevie Clarke to Hibs in the past but we never followed it up. Stevie was interested if it came to fruition. Would be great to see Pat Nevin in some sort of role at Hibs.

LeithMike
27-08-2023, 11:57 AM
I'd be McInnes and if not Robinson. Both know the league, both seem to be able to get the sum of a team worth more than its individuals and both get players to play in a shape that makes sense. McInnes stayed too long at Aberdeen. Up until the last couple of years his record was excellent. He also scores goals, knows how to win ugly and always has a nice mix of grit and flair. I've certainly moaned, like most, as Aberdeen chop down a Hibs player yet again to stop a promising attack. These days though everyone seems to do it bar us. The big issue with McInnes is he is loyal so probably wouldn't come. He has the Thes connection but he also turned managing them down so that squares that up to me. LJ is finished as the players have completely lost confidence. They are not playing for each other and look terrified of getting involved in the game. So many poor touches and misplaced passes which would be bad enough but it is within our playing context of slow, laborious, safe build up play. THe players may not be brilliant but they are miles better than they are performing and they look like they need direction. We were beat in teh tunnel before walking out against Villa and I don't think we were far behind that today

This for me. McInnes was head and shoulders the obvious choice when both Maloney and Johnson were appointed as our owner/board thought they knew better and went leftfield.

What do we want as a club? Unless it’s still money-ball strategy of bringing players into sell on then McInnes has proven track record in delivering what we want.

Time to eat some humble pie and get him in. He’ll change us overnight and make us more disciplined, professional and organised- things all completely missing at the moment. I think we’d see significant improvement in Rocky and Youan too in getting some proper coaching and moulded for the benefit of the team.

I’d be very disappointed if we went leftfield again and if McInnes doesn’t want it (we should be adapting structure of club to what he wants) then Robinson looks next best. I expect Robinson to end up at Hearts next if we don’t move for him.

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 11:58 AM
Wins unite the support.

This weird “play the Hibs way thing” is just as mythical nowadays as the idea that McInnes teams are just kicking folk off the park.

Danny Armstrong is probably one of the most exciting players in the league just now at Killie.

The football under Jack Ross was dog meat, but folk want him back…he got results (until the wheels came off)

Wins do indeed unite a support though if you start losing and the footballs not good it can quickly go the other way as we're seeing now .

I've always thought there is " Hibs way " of playing tbh , even watching games on TV in England I want to see the teams play with flair, getting the ball down and play good attacking football .

I always thought McInnes teams are well organised and hard working and very difficult to beat though many times over the years watching Aberdeen I was quite simply bored to death tbh . Towards the end of jack Ross's reign the attendances at ER seemed to drop considerably with folk moaning about the dire football . Is it just winning that takes people to ER ? Or do they like to be entertained in watching there team play good football?

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 11:59 AM
Someone with a good relationship with the City Group.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 12:01 PM
Someone with a good relationship with the City Group.

Pep?

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 12:02 PM
It’s Official!!!!!!

Golden Bear
27-08-2023, 12:05 PM
James Mcpake please.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 12:06 PM
James Mcpake please.

Not against it, have to admit.

DIXIHIBS
27-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Forget playing "flair" football. We need a manager who can win games. We badly need a strong defence as we are leeking goals. Sort that out and then try and entertain. Like it or not, even after 3 games, it looks we are in for tough season. We are going to need a team of fighters if things get really bad. Do we have the manager/players who are up for a battle...i dont think so. Change needed quickly. Who, is a tougher question.

Diclonius
27-08-2023, 12:09 PM
James Mcpake please.

Just lost another derby. Nah.

GreenGray
27-08-2023, 12:12 PM
As someone said, Johnson was that bad almost anyone will feel like an improvement.

If we’re going safe it has to be McInnes no one else.

If not him I’d like a fresh face, we have a good squad that an exciting manager could get playing well in my opinion.

easty
27-08-2023, 12:13 PM
Wins do indeed unite a support though if you start losing and the footballs not good it can quickly go the other way as we're seeing now .

I've always thought there is " Hibs way " of playing tbh , even watching games on TV in England I want to see the teams play with flair, getting the ball down and play good attacking football .

I always thought McInnes teams are well organised and hard working and very difficult to beat though many times over the years watching Aberdeen I was quite simply bored to death tbh . Towards the end of jack Ross's reign the attendances at ER seemed to drop considerably with folk moaning about the dire football . Is it just winning that takes people to ER ? Or do they like to be entertained in watching there team play good football?

McInnes played to a decent level, so he’ll know what good football looks like. This is Scottish football though, and if you’re not managing Celtc or Rangers then you have to piss with the cock you’ve got. McInnes has proved himself doing that.

I hope we’re after him.

bingo70
27-08-2023, 12:17 PM
Graham Arnold my choice. If there’s any way at all he’d be a possibility I’d be delighted.

Expressed interest in working in Scottish football before.

Dashing Bob S
27-08-2023, 12:18 PM
I think a McInnes team would - putting it crudely- be set up to attack at home and defend/compete away. Hopefully he would tighten the defense and make the midfield more combative and creative and see what he had up front.

But you never know with Hibs. Our culture of demanding to win and do it with style and panache, is totally unsuited to the modern realities of the Scottish game.

Glory Lurker
27-08-2023, 12:21 PM
Robinson, McInnes or Kettlewell for me. I'm trusting us to not go for Marvin Bartley this time around, although he will be our boss at some point.

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Graham Arnold my choice. If there’s any way at all he’d be a possibility I’d be delighted.

He'd be my choice too . I wouldn't mind Liam Manning and Chris Hogg either if we could get them .

Scooter
27-08-2023, 12:22 PM

Don't know much about him. What do you know. How does his team play etc

Springbank
27-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Neil Lennon for me

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 12:23 PM
McPake, Bartley and Murray are all a firm no for me as I doubt they’d even be in the question if it wasn’t for the Hibs connection.

If they prove themselves then yeah fair enough. I think they’re all doing decent jobs, but enough to get the Hibs job? Not quite imo

BigKev
27-08-2023, 12:25 PM
I’d like us to go for Karel Geraerts. Should be just about in our budget. Sacked for not agreeing a 4k per month wage rise mind you 🤦*♂️

Interesting article below.

https://www.foottheball.com/manager-in-focus/karel-geraerts-news-royale-union-saint-gilloise-job-coach-playing-style-tactics-analysis-career/

JIm
27-08-2023, 12:28 PM
What about Ian Murray, done well in both his management roles thus far.

And young rhys mccabe at airdrie. Definitely one of the brightest upcoming managers/coaches in the country.

I don't expect anyone to be keen on that suggestion but a couple of lower league left field Scottish suggestions.

Mikey_1875
27-08-2023, 12:29 PM
Robinson. Wanted him when he was at Motherwell. No need to bring Curtis Main though.

Waxy
27-08-2023, 12:29 PM
Lennon till the end of the season

1van Sprou7e
27-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Neil Francis Lennon

I realise he might ***** the bed after 2 years but there is much more ambition coming from the top of the club than their was last time he was here which I think was a major issue for him.

Significantly more funds as well

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Simply not being L. J. is not the criteria I would consider sensible in the recruitment of a new manager.

Me neither, not what I said at all.

I'm saying that even if we have no manager for our next game, we'll be better off.

I'm also saying that anyone will be better than LJ is.

Was pretty obvious really, I thought you would have understood but hopefully it's clearer for you now.

ScottB
27-08-2023, 12:38 PM

And young rhys mccabe at airdrie. Definitely one of the brightest upcoming managers/coaches in the country.

I don't expect anyone to be keen on that suggestion but a couple of lower league left field Scottish suggestions.

Not necessarily those two, but I’d much rather we went for someone on an upward curve for a change, as opposed to someone freshly sacked from failing somewhere else. I think a rookie mid season just doesn’t work, so yeah, looking for a guy doing well in the Championship or similar, looking to take a step up, would be what I’d like to see.

Box 17
27-08-2023, 12:45 PM
MacInnes
Mackay
Robinson

In that order.

Need to get back to basics with somebody who knows our league well.

JIm
27-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Not necessarily those two, but I’d much rather we went for someone on an upward curve for a change, as opposed to someone freshly sacked from failing somewhere else. I think a rookie mid season just doesn’t work, so yeah, looking for a guy doing well in the Championship or similar, looking to take a step up, would be what I’d like to see.

Sadly despite my suggestion I think nows the time for experience. But reckon they could both do a job.

pacoluna
27-08-2023, 12:47 PM
James Mcpake please.

For the love of god no!!!! The captain of one of most humiliating results in our life and also sacked by Dundee.

brydekirk
27-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Strachan

Hibee Daft
27-08-2023, 12:50 PM
Id quite like someone out of left field were not thinking about abit like when Stubbs arrived. Hopefully Mcdermott gets it right.

Cat Stanton
27-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Strachan

Gies peace.

A Hi-Bee
27-08-2023, 12:53 PM
Lennon till the end of the season

:top marks :nlgwa

SlickShoes
27-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Sam Allardyce is coming to save us from relegation

SanFranHibs
27-08-2023, 12:55 PM
We are hardly stuck for choice. Here are just some of the coaches currently available, although I think it might be too early in the season for Big Sam :greengrin

I really have no firm opinion who should succeed LJ. McInnes does seem to check a few boxes: done well in the SPL, teams are well organized, more consistent, are generally no pushovers. Certainly not saying I am keen for his appointment and of course have no idea who is really 'available' or who would want to come. Some will. It is still a good job regardless of our recent history.

:flag:

Diclonius
Kick this Lennon ***** immediately.

raeburnhibs
Not against it, have to admit.

Why? Based on pretty much any metric he shouldn't be near the job and he won't be.

Allant1981
27-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Id quite like someone out of left field were not thinking about abit like when Stubbs arrived. Hopefully Mcdermott gets it right.

Surely that's what we done with maloney and that went tits up also

DIXIHIBS
Clearly a lot of fans would like Mcinnes and i get why, but the last time we picked a manager that the vast majority of fans wanted didnt end well...the Butcher.

hibee_girl
I wouldn't mind Bartley tbh but think it's too soon for him.

jacomo
27-08-2023, 12:58 PM

The point is that sacking JR when we did was a clear and obvious error. If only VAR had intervened…

Moulin Yarns
27-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Zinedine Zidane is looking for a house in Gullane 😉

pacoluna
Nathan Jones?

jacomo
Clearly a lot of fans would like Mcinnes and i get why, but the last time we picked a manager that the vast majority of fans wanted didnt end well...the Butcher.

I think the call for McInnes is a knee jerk reaction, I have a feeling it wouldn’t turn out well.

leith lynx
27-08-2023, 01:00 PM
If Hibs seriously want to progress on the football front, I would be approaching Micheal O'Neill, ticks a lot of boxes, guaranteed no bull/hit, last I heard living and settled in Edinburgh, hopefully could be persuaded to leave the NI job again, but not within the realms of possibility to do NI part time, always had the feeling he would like a crack at the Hibs job.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Why? Based on pretty much any metric he shouldn't be near the job and he won't be.

Mates a Pars fans and said he has them playing some good stuff. Think he's done a good job with a team on a much smaller budget. Slightly harsh sacking at Dundee.

You're right though, don't think we'll be interested in him.

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 01:01 PM
He'd be my choice too . I wouldn't mind Liam Manning and Chris Hogg either if we could get them .

Said it earlier in the thread Liam Manning was my choice last time and I'd be happy to go for him again. We may not have the personnel to implement his style of football but you would think he would make us more attractive to watch and more difficult to beat.

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 01:02 PM
Nathan Jones?

Only if I can watch his interviews on mute 😁

Since452
Whoever it is I'm not going to get invested in them or buy in to what they have to say. No point. This time all I'll care about are results on the park.

leith lynx
Said it earlier in the thread Liam Manning was my choice last time and I'd be happy to go for him again. We may not have the personnel to implement his style of football but you would think he would make us more attractive to watch and more difficult to beat.

Where is he now?

JeMeSouviens
27-08-2023, 01:05 PM

With hindsight (because I was in favour of TB at the time) his record was good at Inverness, patchy but with excuses at Well and ***** everywhere else. McInnes has a much better track record.

Hamish
27-08-2023, 01:06 PM

Always been impressed with his after match interviews at Raith. He's doing a good job in Kirkcaldy, but just might be too soon for him.

Plus he wouldn't be able to bring his assistant with him

04Sauzee
27-08-2023, 01:09 PM
Where is he now?

He's at Oxford Utd at the moment. Read a load of article on him when we were recruiting last time and listened to a few interviews and podcasts.

He's young but seems like he plays attractive football.

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2023, 01:11 PM
Lennon being talked about on Sportsound as potential boss!

Scooter
27-08-2023, 01:11 PM

Really hope not

easty
27-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Comparing McInnes record to date with Butcher is a nonsense

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Lennon being talked about on Sportsound as potential boss!Shock!

Yogi will be next

Heisenberg
27-08-2023, 01:14 PM
Shock!

Yogi will be next

Yogi will be on ASAP to confirm his CV is in

Since90+2
27-08-2023, 01:15 PM
No manager, especially at our level, is ever guaranteed to be a success, but I think McInnes is as close as you could possibly hope for.

He's the obvious candidate IMO. Whether he wants it or he would like the structure is the question.

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 01:16 PM

I was the same, especially with him managing abroad too and having quite a good CV.

Done quite a bit of reading about him last time and was impressed.

Now the thought of it scares me though!🤣

Hogg being with him is a huge benefit though as he knows the club

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 01:16 PM
He's at Oxford Utd at the moment. Read a load of article on him when we were recruiting last time and listened to a few interviews and podcasts.

He's young but seems like he plays attractive football.

One we should be looking at imo .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Manning

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2023, 01:17 PM
Lennon's gripe back then was lack of ambition / support from the board.

That's different now. He'll have more scope to improve the squad now that we're spending more.

500miles
27-08-2023, 01:18 PM
We'll see how SDG does. I think anyone who prioritises playing to the teams strengths and can communicate simply and clearly will see us lose far fewer silly goals and pick up points.

Shame his first game will likely be a pumping at villa!

Since90+2
27-08-2023, 01:18 PM
It won't be Lennon.

bingo70
27-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Don't know much about him. What do you know. How does his team play etc

I’m not sure to be honest. I’ve listened to a podcast he was interviewed on and really liked him. Huge generalisation I know but I also love the Australian attitude to sport.

Combined the above to a very impressive club CV and he obviously did excellent with the Australian World Cup team.

Unseen work
27-08-2023, 01:20 PM
I was once working at pittodrie directly behind the dugout of an Aberdeen Motherwell game and couldn’t believe how enthusiastic both Mcinnes and Robinson were.

Both speaking and encouraging players the full 90 minutes and remembering thinking I think Hibs fans would quite like that sort of approach.

Seemed to drive the players on and you could tell they got a buzz when they done something well as it was met with praise

Billy Whizz
27-08-2023, 01:20 PM
I’m presuming with the statement issued, they are hoping to have someone in place for the Killie away game

S4uzee
27-08-2023, 01:21 PM
I’m presuming with the statement issued, they are hoping to have someone in place for the Killie away game

McInnes swapping dugouts?

Percy Vere
27-08-2023, 01:25 PM

Think the point might be that folk wanted them out on appointment.
Never going to please everyone with a new manager.
Surprised Lennons not on that list (just sayin)

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2023, 01:25 PM
Unai Emery

Trinity Hibee
27-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Think the point might be that folk wanted them out on appointment.
Never going to please everyone with a new manager.
Surprised Lennons not on that list (just sayin)

Fair enough.

Just listening to sportsound and Willie miller sounded pretty confident macinnes would take Hibs job if offered

Donegal Hibby
27-08-2023, 01:27 PM
Really hope not

Me too . He took over a very good team and it went to pot under him . As to giving him more financial backing then we did the last time . He had over £30 million to spend at Celtic and failed . How much financial backing would he need at us:dunno: .

lucky
27-08-2023, 01:27 PM
We need someone appointed ASAP to give them a chance to bring at least of couple of players of their choice before the transfer window shuts.

Since452
27-08-2023, 01:30 PM

Jobs for the bhoys

badabing67
27-08-2023, 01:30 PM
Kick this Lennon ***** immediately.

Nah

Callum_62
27-08-2023, 01:31 PM
We need someone appointed ASAP to give them a chance to bring at least of couple of players of their choice before the transfer window shuts.Too late for that - McDermott will be doing the signings

Doh Rae Me
27-08-2023, 01:34 PM
Neil Lennon all the way from me.
Already looking forward to his first home game sell out match.