PDA

View Full Version : Not the reason we lost but it has to be said...

LewysGot2
26-08-2023, 04:40 PM
Craig Napier is 100% the poorest referee in the top flight. Unbelievable decision making...some just shockingly bad and some just bizarre.

He's awful.

The perfect storm for a lacking form and confidence Hibs is playing the gang from roundabout town with a referee this bad.

Willis1875
26-08-2023, 04:41 PM
He was the same last season at St Johnstone when he sent Jeggo off.
A truly awful referee

scm70nyd1973
26-08-2023, 04:44 PM
Beyond belief garbage - I know that our refs are poor but I thought the bad old days of staggeringly bad referees were behind us - evidently not 🤬

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2023, 04:44 PM
He's a comedy figure. A kid on referee. Dreadful. No control. Totally making it up. Arrogant.

SaulGoodman
26-08-2023, 04:45 PM
What age is he? He looks like he’s both 18 and 60 at the same time.

hibee_girl
He’s the worst one around, loves to dish out a card and the sound of his whistle.

weecounty hibby
He's an arrogant little prick. How he has gotten to the top if the refereeing game I have no idea.

The Tubs
Was it mentioned before that he's never been given a game involving the old firm?

It seems to me that the sfa admin know he's not up to the job but keep him around to piss us off.

04Sauzee
Thought he was part of the fringe and was waiting for the real ref to come out.

Willis1875
26-08-2023, 04:46 PM

😭😭🤣

Silky
26-08-2023, 04:47 PM
He's a comedy figure. A kid on referee. Dreadful. No control. Totally making it up. Arrogant.

He's a total clown. Some unbelievable decisions. As you said, just made it up as he went along. Wouldn't have been out of place in the festival. Total cock.

LewysGot2
26-08-2023, 04:47 PM

33!

That's some rise through the ranks.

GP during the week, first openly gay referee in the game.

Definitely has a God complex

Real Emerald
26-08-2023, 04:49 PM
That’s the guy that said his gran gave him red and yellow cards as a gift when he was a young boy so he could play at being a ref, looks like he’s still enjoying it. Says it all 😂😂😂

HarpOnHibee
26-08-2023, 04:50 PM
How he has gotten to the top if the refereeing game I have no idea.

He's an arrogant little prick.

Lancs Harp
26-08-2023, 04:52 PM
He was dreadful (our own deficiences apart) if he'd have refing a park game on sunday he'd have got battered. Staggeringly bad.

TheGog
26-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Couldn’t believe for the life of me we got away with Pen for Campbells handball just before he scored.

the fact VAR also checked it and though no penalty had me even more bemused

SChibs
26-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Couldn’t believe for the life of me we got away with Pen for Campbells handball just before he scored.

Not seen it back but looked as if it was his supporting arm it hit. I had a poor view though so could be wrong

hibee_girl
26-08-2023, 05:05 PM

:agree:

It looked a stonewaller

Callum_62
26-08-2023, 05:06 PM

the fact VAR also checked it and though no penalty had me even more bemusedI didn't think it was a pen on the replay

Its his supporting arm it brushes against

The livi handball in the first half is baffling though

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

SaulGoodman
26-08-2023, 05:08 PM
That’s the guy that said his gran gave him red and yellow cards as a gift when he was a young boy so he could play at being a ref, looks like he’s still enjoying it. Says it all 😂😂😂

Who the **** wants to be a referee when they’re a bairn?

Johnny_Leith
26-08-2023, 05:12 PM
He definitely needs a thread of his own.

I've been mulling up whether he's biased, a cheat or just incompetent.

His decision not to sent off Guthrie, who has been booked, for a sly kick on Obita and then for going head to head was definitely handing Livi an advantage. Of course it'll get played off in the media as 'sensible refereeing' or 'keeping his cards in his pocket' and the tried and tested 'nobody wants to see someone get sent off' but in my eyes it's blatantly deciding not to issue a second yellow.

It seemed like the ref was happy to let soft Livi fouls (like on Youan in the build up to the third goal) run but any soft foul from Hibs was called. We picked up yellows for things Livi players got away with. Youan was pulled back in the middle of the park and if he'd stopped the game there he would have had to issue a yellow but he played on, Youan lost the ball with no advantage and play wasn't pulled back and no card was issued retrospectively!

I was sure he was biased or cheating with the several penalty claims dismissed today until Josh Campbell did his best impression of a rugby player in our own box and the whole of Easter Road knew Livi were going to get a pen to make it 1-4. Well this is where I think he might just be a terrible referee as how that wasn't given as a pen I will never know.

Disgraceful performance.

Crab apple
26-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Attention seeking little man. He was as woeful as our defence.

Ryan91
26-08-2023, 05:14 PM
He's just so bafflingly poor.

Really get the vibe that he does not like us at all.

Not that it would have mattered today, but have we ever won a game with him in the middle?

Allant1981
26-08-2023, 05:15 PM
That was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in a while, just a crap day all round

Jones28
26-08-2023, 05:15 PM
He’s awful, as was VAR. They collectively missed 2/3 penalties today between both teams today.

Carheenlea
26-08-2023, 05:16 PM
Quite like that aggressive running away he does from any incident where an infringement is being claimed.

Looks like someone who plays Dungeons & Dragons of an evening.

Tyler Durden
26-08-2023, 05:17 PM
It’s beyond frustrating when players can repeatedly attempt to stop free kicks being taken and the ref doesn’t book them. Then you watch any English game and there’s a massive clampdown on this.

How many times did he warn the goalie about time wasting FFS

JammyDoidger
26-08-2023, 05:20 PM
There's only one reason this guy is a top level referee in this country and it's nothing to do with his ability.

overdrive
26-08-2023, 05:22 PM
You could tell by his body language that he absolutely hates us. It is inexplicable how he has got beyond boys football refereeing gigs.

The Harp Awakes
26-08-2023, 05:30 PM
Yes he's incompetent, but his body language when ignoring blatant fouls on Hibs players suggests he is also a cheat.

LunasBoots
26-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Europe is one of the big issues we've lost, our squad isn't big enough to compete in these two competitions, we're a good 4 or 5 players short and haven't improved on the key positions that need improving, going forward we are fine but behind that the issues have not been addressed.

percy veer
26-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Will hibs highlight it? Na just roll over and take it like usual.

Allant1981
26-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Will hibs highlight it? Na just roll over and take it like usual.

Pretty sure they put in a complaint about him previously

JimBHibees
26-08-2023, 05:38 PM
He definitely needs a thread of his own.

I've been mulling up whether he's biased, a cheat or just incompetent.

His decision not to sent off Guthrie, who has been booked, for a sly kick on Obita and then for going head to head was definitely handing Livi an advantage. Of course it'll get played off in the media as 'sensible refereeing' or 'keeping his cards in his pocket' and the tried and tested 'nobody wants to see someone get sent off' but in my eyes it's blatantly deciding not to issue a second yellow.

It seemed like the ref was happy to let soft Livi fouls (like on Youan in the build up to the third goal) run but any soft foul from Hibs was called. We picked up yellows for things Livi players got away with. Youan was pulled back in the middle of the park and if he'd stopped the game there he would have had to issue a yellow but he played on, Youan lost the ball with no advantage and play wasn't pulled back and no card was issued retrospectively!

I was sure he was biased or cheating with the several penalty claims dismissed today until Josh Campbell did his best impression of a rugby player in our own box and the whole of Easter Road knew Livi were going to get a pen to make it 1-4. Well this is where I think he might just be a terrible referee as how that wasn't given as a pen I will never know.

Disgraceful performance.

I am thinking cheat. Gave us less than nothing. Not one meaningful decision went our way. Obvious free kicks. Refs don't like Johnson or Hibs and he perpetuates that completely. Jeggo sending off. Foul on Doyle Hayes against same opposition most obvious red card ever and now today. Love to see him do that at parkhead or Ibrox but of course he wouldn't. The number of blatant fouls on hibs players totally ignored. The one on Boyle in the first half he ignored was absolutely bent imo.

JoeT
26-08-2023, 05:39 PM
My 11 year old daughter blames him for our defeat, bless her. When 11 year olds can spot ineptitude....

archie
26-08-2023, 05:58 PM
I had a thought during the game that he might have been being coached. There were a few decisions, like the booking of Guthrie, where he did nothing then sprang into action after a delay. But as a refereeing performance it was erratic and incompetent. He's not up to it.

basehibby
26-08-2023, 06:07 PM
I counted 5 strong penalty claims for us that didn't appear to even get looked at. Maybe that's more down to the VAR clowns but the ref was abysmal and - as the team chasing the game due to our own pish defending - gave us nothing and let Livi off the hook more than once.

Hibs4185
26-08-2023, 06:15 PM
Professional referees is the only way forward. Decent money now involved with scottish football and it’s a scandal that referees still have day jobs.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2023, 06:18 PM
Absolutely awful.

percy veer
26-08-2023, 06:19 PM
I had a thought during the game that he might have been being coached. There were a few decisions, like the booking of Guthrie, where he did nothing then sprang into action after a delay. But as a refereeing performance it was erratic and incompetent. He's not up to it.
Get them miked up

JohnM1875
26-08-2023, 06:22 PM
You could argue it is the reason we lost. Clear foul on Youan (who was abysmal today) at the edge of their box, waved away and not given. They then go up the pitch and score.

I've honestly never been as pissed off at a referee as that in my life. Hope the club ask questions, which they wont.

WoreTheGreen
26-08-2023, 06:23 PM
Looked he had been totally bullied at school and he has a stage to be important

B.H.F.C
26-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Terrible. Jus his manner as much as anything. Shouldn’t be anywhere near that level.

LewysGot2
26-08-2023, 06:27 PM
It's actually staggering to think his day job requires good interpersonal skills, non-judgemental regard for all, accuracy of assessment of situations, integrity and awareness.

I think he was on View from the Terrace and said he'd been really bad at football as a kid but could run fast and granny encouraged him to think about being a ref...

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-08-2023, 06:27 PM
Utterly awful. At least 2 pens we'd have had if we played our home games at ibrox

The sheer inability to play advantage is something that irrationally ****s me right off. It shows they're unable to read a game of football

He's an arrogant weasel and wildly inconsistent. The refs we've had in Europe ain't been much better though, so probably just **** officiating rather than anything sinister?

Crab apple
26-08-2023, 07:24 PM
Professional referees is the only way forward. Decent money now involved with scottish football and it’s a scandal that referees still have day jobs.

I've no idea what job Napier has but I'd hate to think he could be any worse at it than his role as a ref. One of the most inept performances I've seen in ages.

Lancs Harp
26-08-2023, 07:38 PM
I've no idea what job Napier has but I'd hate to think he could be any worse at it than his role as a ref. One of the most inept performances I've seen in ages.

He works in a circus.

Smartie
26-08-2023, 07:45 PM
I hate blaming referees but that was borderline suspicious.

SaulGoodman
26-08-2023, 07:46 PM

He just screams health and safety officer

archie
26-08-2023, 07:48 PM

GP!

SaulGoodman
26-08-2023, 07:55 PM
GP!

Grand prick?

stuart-farquhar
26-08-2023, 07:57 PM
Why is that wee incompetent runt a referee. Why!!!!

Northernhibee
26-08-2023, 07:59 PM

Is he Glaswegian by any chance?

Lancs Harp
26-08-2023, 07:59 PM

Hes actually sponsored by Hibs.net as clickbait :)

H18 SFR
26-08-2023, 08:01 PM

GP in Irvine.

JamesHFC
26-08-2023, 08:02 PM
If they are going to be dishing out cards a lot more often this season then they need to get a hold of the amount of time a goalkeeper is allowed to hold the ball in his hands. There's no way it should be in his hands for almost 20 seconds.

percy veer
26-08-2023, 08:03 PM
Is he Glaswegian by any chance?

They all are

Helensburghhibs
26-08-2023, 08:03 PM
I stopped expecting anything different when i realised they are a profession that actively use incompetence as a valid excuse for poor performance.

No recorse, no disciplinary unless they upset the bogot brothers. Its unbelievable

gaz1875
26-08-2023, 08:04 PM
As soon as I saw him I knew it was going to be a dreadful display of refereeing. What was Newell booked for? never even looked like a foul.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Give him the next OF game so the authorities can see how incompetent this guy is

Totally useless

I don’t think he would get out alive

Hibs should definitely complain about this numpty as it is not the first time we have been on the end of his crazy nonsensical decisions

What’s that you say he has never refereed a Celtic or a The Rangers game ?

I wonder why ?

marinello59
26-08-2023, 08:14 PM
It’s all about him. The sad thing is he seems to think he’s totally in control. Worst Ref in the league by a mile.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2023, 08:39 PM
It was like he was only there to ref one team and it wasn't Livvi the wee prick was an absolute nightmare. don't think I've spent so much time shouting at the ref during a game for about 10 years ... shouldn't be anywhere near this level, in a league full of terrible referees he makes the rest look competent.

Alvin
26-08-2023, 09:03 PM
I never subscribe to 'bias' as a criticism for our refs, but today was on a different level. Seems like he'd made his mind up that Hibs would get nothing. Reminded me (almost) of that infamous Alan Freeland match at ER.

matty_f
27-08-2023, 04:57 AM
He's been awful every time he's refereed us and yesterday was as bad as any. Totally incompetent and should be nowhere near this level.

Just a pity Hibs decided to be even more inept on the day.

marinello59
27-08-2023, 06:16 AM
I never subscribe to 'bias' as a criticism for our refs, but today was on a different level. Seems like he'd made his mind up that Hibs would get nothing. Reminded me (almost) of that infamous Alan Freeland match at ER.

Funnily enough we had been talking about the Freeland match in the pub before the game and there was a ten minute spell yesterday when I thought it was going to go the same way. The team prevented that by being worse than the ref.

Posh Swanny
27-08-2023, 07:44 AM
Mind he sent off Jason Holt for Livi after about15 minites of the Christmas Eve game last season. Wonder if his bosses 'had a word' after that one as he's been openly angry at Hibs players from the start of each match since.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 07:46 AM
It was his attitude towards the players that really pissed me off as well. Hand gestures shooing them away etc.

LaMotta
27-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Haven't seen the players react to decisions like that in a long time. You could tell they were getting more and more frustrated as he ignored foul after foul. It was like they couldnt believe it. Newell at the end rightfully having a meltdown to the 4th official, no doubt pointing out how bad Napier was.

He is so far out his depth it was unbelievable, SFA insiders must know this, but what can be done? Hee haw probably.

LewysGot2
27-08-2023, 11:08 AM
He wasn't interested in the bizarre concept that Martin Boyle gets fouled. He treated almost every challenge on Boyle with a dismissive wave.

He's got an attitude that, combined with sheer incompetence, is shocking.

You have to question who thinks he is up to standard

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2023, 11:12 AM
Europe is one of the big issues we've lost, our squad isn't big enough to compete in these two competitions, we're a good 4 or 5 players short and haven't improved on the key positions that need improving, going forward we are fine but behind that the issues have not been addressed.

When did clubs start playing 2 games in a week, i mean how daft is that?:confused:

fat freddy
27-08-2023, 11:13 AM
There's only one reason this guy is a top level referee in this country and it's nothing to do with his ability.

A diversity hire, SFA ticking the boxes

Malonga's Cat
27-08-2023, 11:27 AM
As much as it sounds like a football cliché, the ref really was shocking yesterday. Lost control of the game early doors but ironically presented overly assertive about nothing decisions but ignored blatant ones.

Hibs will do nothing though. We've got bigger issues right now anyway!

O'Rourke3
27-08-2023, 04:54 PM
He just screams health and safety officerWhat have you got against Health and/or Safety?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

SaulGoodman
27-08-2023, 05:09 PM
What have you got against Health and/or Safety?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I like to live life on the edge

Lester B
27-08-2023, 09:48 PM
A diversity hire, SFA ticking the boxes

On a day when daft comments are all over the boards today, that one beats all.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic. As was the post you were replying to.

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 09:50 PM
On a day when daft comments are all over the boards today, that one beats all.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic. As was the post you were replying to.

Aye. Both brutal.

Question the guys ability to carry out his job, sure. That was plain as day on Saturday. But that? Absolutely not. Disappointing.

HibeeMackenzie
27-08-2023, 10:01 PM
70 premiership games
0 Celtic
0 rangers
0 hearts
The authorities know he’s not good enough but for some reason I can’t seem to place my finger on he keeps getting top league games… anyone any idea why?

stuart-farquhar
27-08-2023, 10:02 PM
70 premiership games
0 Celtic
0 rangers
0 hearts
The authorities know he’s not good enough but for some reason I can’t seem to place my finger on he keeps getting top league games… anyone any idea why?yes

JohnM1875
27-08-2023, 10:04 PM
70 premiership games
0 Celtic
0 rangers
0 hearts
The authorities know he’s not good enough but for some reason I can’t seem to place my finger on he keeps getting top league games… anyone any idea why?

The paranoia should stop as soon as you include Hearts in that list, surely? There isn't a 'big three' and he's had plenty Hibs and Aberdeen games.

He's obviously not deemed highly enough to take charge of an old firm game, and anyone who was there yesterday could see why. He's a poor ref.

Lester B
27-08-2023, 10:05 PM
yes

Which is?

Lester B
27-08-2023, 10:09 PM
The paranoia should stop as soon as you include Hearts in that list, surely? There isn't a 'big three' and he's had plenty Hibs and Aberdeen games.

He's obviously not deemed highly enough to take charge of an old firm game, and anyone who was there yesterday could see why. He's a poor ref.

You’re talking too much sense for some on this thread. But I’m glad you are.

Hibee Mac
27-08-2023, 11:31 PM
He's hands down the worst top flight ref. Not a ball had been kicked yesterday and I knew we were in for a treat when I saw his name. You shouldn't be able to predict that the ref will have a howler in professional football!

Someone last season tallied up his top flight games and we were top of the list, no games Vs Celtic ranger or hearts, wtf is that all about? I'm sure it was about 6 or 7 Hibs games he's reffed, that's not normal surely?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
27-08-2023, 11:59 PM
Seen him twice now and each time thought he strutted about like Napoleon Bonaparte.

Definitely has small man syndrome problems…..quick to try and show he has the power……when such action is unwarranted.

Just awful, awful ref…….even if we had won.

Donegal Hibby
28-08-2023, 12:11 AM
Seen him twice now and each time thought he strutted about like Napoleon Bonaparte.

Definitely has small man syndrome problems…..quick to try and show he has the power……when such action is unwarranted.

Just awful, awful ref…….even if we had won.

Is he just a awful ref though or a biased one ? He seemed awful quick in booking Hibs players yet let some of the Livvy ones go ! He sent Jeggo off last season which was overturned too .

HoboHarry
28-08-2023, 12:22 AM

How is paying them as full time employees going to make them better? It'll still be the same goat fondlers in charge. The whole refereeing ****show needs dismantled starting with the Glasgow and Lanarkshire associations.

HoboHarry
28-08-2023, 12:24 AM
70 premiership games
0 Celtic
0 rangers
0 hearts
I have a shrewd idea of why he appears to be bullet proof.

Lester B
28-08-2023, 01:27 AM
I have a shrewd idea of why he appears to be bullet proof.

I doubt it.

The amount of thinly veiled prejudice on this thread is dismal.

The guy is a bad referee. Had another shocker on Saturday. But you and others on here really can’t help yourselves can you?

brog
28-08-2023, 07:32 AM
He's an arrogant little prick. How he has gotten to the top if the refereeing game I have no idea.

I think your 1st sentence answered your 2nd! Agreed, arrogant and incompetent, perfect credentials to ref in our league!

brog
28-08-2023, 07:43 AM
I doubt it.

The guy is a bad referee. Had another shocker on Saturday. But you and others on here really can’t help yourselves can you?

I agree with you about prejudice but I didn't know he was gay until I read this thread. There is no doubt however that he's incompetent, up there with Muir and Freeland. If the stats quoted re no OF games are correct then that's yet another scandal. If you're deemed competent enough to ref any top league game then there should be no exceptions!

stuart-farquhar
28-08-2023, 07:56 AM
Which is?

He doesn't like Hibs.

Jones28
28-08-2023, 12:12 PM
How is paying them as full time employees going to make them better? It'll still be the same goat fondlers in charge. The whole refereeing ****show needs dismantled starting with the Glasgow and Lanarkshire associations.

You weed out the ones that are hobby referees, especially at the top level.

You make the ones like Napier, who is a GP I believe, choose between their career and their hobby. I think its unlikely that someone whos trained as a doctor would dump that to be a ref, least of all for the money.

Make refereeing an attractive prospect for potential candidates. Pay them well, performance based bonuses and additional benefits.

Lester B
28-08-2023, 12:13 PM
He doesn't like Hibs.

Ok let’s recap shall we? Someone asked if there was a reason he gets to referee reasonably large games but not old firm or hearts. You said there is a reason. I asked what it was. Your apparent answer is that he he hates Hibs. Cognitive dissonance?

Jones28
28-08-2023, 12:14 PM
Is he just a awful ref though or a biased one ? He seemed awful quick in booking Hibs players yet let some of the Livvy ones go ! He sent Jeggo off last season which was overturned too .

He's awful. Livi should have had a penalty too.

Jones28
28-08-2023, 12:20 PM
I doubt it.

I read this and thought it was nonsense, and having re-read the thread I'm intrigued to see where the copious amounts of thinly veiled bias is?

Other than the two comments - which are really poor - you've highlighted, which comments are you referring to?

I see a lot of comments that I think would be made about any referee who was as poor as CN was on Saturday but not a lot else.

stuart-farquhar
28-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Ok let’s recap shall we? Someone asked if there was a reason he gets to referee reasonably large games but not old firm or hearts. You said there is a reason. I asked what it was. Your apparent answer is that he he hates Hibs. Cognitive dissonance?

Well it can't be other than by design that he's never refereed any of those 3. Law of averages and all that.

I thought he was very poor. Other than that I have no interest in him, aside of my view he's not up to standard, even the somewhat inconsistent performances of our domestic referees.

I heard the gay chat. Makes no difference to me whatsoever and I actually object to it being mentioned. His refereeing abilities on the other hand very much do.

stuart-farquhar
28-08-2023, 01:11 PM

Well it can't be other than by design that he's never refereed any of those 3. Law of averages and all that.

I thought he was very poor. Other than that I have no interest in him, aside of my view he's not up to standard, even the somewhat inconsistent performances of our domestic referees.

I heard the gay chat. Makes no difference to me whatsoever and I actually object to it being mentioned. His refereeing abilities on the other hand very much do.

Ryan91
28-08-2023, 01:58 PM
70 premiership games
0 Celtic
0 rangers
0 hearts

I could understand him being in charge for 0 games featuring 1 of the 3 mentioned for a variety of reasons (including conflict of interest, but this is the Scottish Footballing authorities we're discussing and having a conflict of interest seems to be grounds to guarantee getting put in charge for certain fixtures), but that he has not refereed a single game for any of the 3 is quite incredible.

Do the SFA/SPFL consider him to be so incompetent that they dare not put him in charge of any games featuring those 3, why then is he deemed to be competent enough to referee games featuring the 9 other clubs in the top flight if the former is the case?

The sooner referees are held to greater account, the better.

Lester B
28-08-2023, 04:28 PM
I read this and thought it was nonsense, and having re-read the thread I'm intrigued to see where the copious amounts of thinly veiled bias is?

Other than the two comments - which are really poor - you've highlighted, which comments are you referring to?

I see a lot of comments that I think would be made about any referee who was as poor as CN was on Saturday but not a lot else.

I didn’t use the word copious. You did. I think it’s plural and I think one poor comment is one too many but copious? No. The two you mention are poor and the shrewd idea about why he is bullet proof may be more suggestive to me than to you but maybe that’s my day job creeping in. I thought it was four but the poster has attempted to explain and to be honest I’m more confused by that. It happens.

So what was nonsense? Those comments or my comments or both?