PDA

View Full Version : Drum thoughts

Carheenlea
24-08-2023, 11:56 AM
The group behind the goal looked decent last night and atmosphere was great all round the stadium. For me, the best chants emanated from the East and grew round the stadium. (As a 50 something I guess it’s natural to have a softer spot for the older terrace favourites that have stood the rest of time as opposed to the modern songbook)

I have to admit though, I would love us to lose the drum. I find the thing beating away all game starts to get really annoying and the kind of thing I’d associate more with the likes of the St Mirren’s, Motherwell’s, Falkirks etc. I’ve kind of had enough of it now.

Now I’m not anti drums as such - I did like The Fall during their double drummers period and recently saw Swans who employed at times two drummers during the set. Just not quite as big a fan of drums when watching the football.

A Hi-Bee
24-08-2023, 12:02 PM
He aint no Ginger Baker, but Easter Road may well end up pretty dead if this manager and the team dont improve, dont think some kids with a drum are high on Hibs list of what needs done.

Hibs3-2
24-08-2023, 12:10 PM
I could barely hear Block7 last night and all the louder songs seemed to come from the east

Since452
24-08-2023, 12:14 PM
I was in the famous five upper and the east was very loud. Thought it was bizzare Block 7 started singing about sticking the royal family up your arse 5 mins in to the game. Surely they could have sung Hibs songs to get the whole stadium going? Couldn't give a **** about the royal family tbh. They were drowned out on a couple of occasions from the east singing some of the more traditional songs.

CropleyWasGod
24-08-2023, 12:18 PM
I was in the famous five upper and the east was very loud. Thought it was bizzare Block 7 started singing about sticking the royal family up your arse 5 mins in to the game. Surely they could have sung Hibs songs to get the whole stadium going? Couldn't give a **** about the royal family tbh. They were drowned out on a couple of occasions from the east singing some of the more traditional songs.

Was that not in response to GTSK?

Johnny Clash
24-08-2023, 12:28 PM
I think the drums generally help boost the atmosphere. I just don’t get the fast rhythmic stuff that goes on for ages and all B7 seem to do is clap their hands on the offbeat. No singing just clapping. Sometimes it develops into a song but often it just eventually fizzles out.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 12:34 PM
One of the guys leading the Block 7 chants with the megaphone was raging when 'we are Hibernian FC' caught on from the East just after kick off.

Started by shaking his head and gesturing to a few of his mates suggesting people in the East enjoyed a self administered personal massage then was bellowing into the megaphone desperately trying to drown it out. Was quite amusing to watch.

HendoDelivered
24-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Keep them drum. If we got rid there would be times where ER would be a bit of a library. Few times last night (understandably in this case as we were getting trounced) it was a bit dead atmosphere wise but the B7 boys still kept the drum banging. I’d rather that than nothing at all.

HendoDelivered
24-08-2023, 12:38 PM
One of the guys leading the Block 7 chants with the megaphone was raging when 'we are Hibernian FC' caught on from the East just after kick off.

Started by shaking his head and gesturing to a few of his mates suggesting people in the East enjoyed a self administered personal massage then was bellowing into the megaphone desperately trying to drown it out. Was quite amusing to watch.

🤣🤣

The East was actually pretty vocal last night prior to kick off and just after without B7 starting any of the songs, from where I was anyway. I see that as a positive though, if two stands are creating an atmosphere it can only be a good thing. B7 can’t have the glory all the time!

Torto7
24-08-2023, 12:50 PM
It's for the youngsters and they enjoy it. Watching middle aged bores getting angsty due to them hitting a drum and having their own chants amuses me tbh.

JimBHibees
24-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Thought they were good near the end of the game and kept supporting however would like them to sing all game as sometime goes quiet when losing. Very positive all in imo

bingo70
24-08-2023, 12:53 PM
The group behind the goal looked decent last night and atmosphere was great all round the stadium. For me, the best chants emirates from the East and grew round the stadium. (As a 50 something I guess it’s natural to have a softer spot for the older terrace favourites that have stood the rest of time as opposed to the modern songbook)

I have to admit though, I would love us to lose the drum. I find the thing beating away all game starts to get really annoying and the kind of thing I’d associate more with the likes of the St Mirren’s, Motherwell’s, Falkirks etc. I’ve kind of had enough of it now.

Now I’m not anti drums as such - I did like The Fall during their double drummers period and recently saw Swans who employed at times two drummers during the set. Just not quite as big a fan of drums when watching the football.

I see your drums and raise you the big flags.

Both a pain in the arse IMO but I’d rather have the drums than flags. At least the drums add a bit noise to the atmosphere, flags do nothing but stop folk from seeing the game.

JimBHibees
24-08-2023, 12:55 PM
I see your drums and raise you the big flags.

Both a pain in the arse IMO but I’d rather have the drums than flags. At least the drums add a bit noise to the atmosphere, flags do nothing but stop folk from seeing the game.

Agree about flags get them down when game going on

BILLYHIBS
24-08-2023, 01:01 PM

Speaking of massage I noticed Scorpio Leisure was up for sale on the way to the Holy Ground yesterday

The end of an era

I like the drum reminds me of Brazil but not the fast stuff though

Luzern had a good drummer IIRC

B.H.F.C
24-08-2023, 01:01 PM
🤣🤣

The East was actually pretty vocal last night prior to kick off and just after without B7 starting any of the songs, from where I was anyway. I see that as a positive though, if two stands are creating an atmosphere it can only be a good thing. B7 can’t have the glory all the time!

The East was superb at the Luzern game and it was predominantly old school Hibs songs.

Block 7 is becoming a bit us v them. The way the game went last night didn’t help but I didn’t think we saw the full benefit of the FFL being a singing section. It was predominantly just their one section in the middle singing their own songs which weren’t really familiar to anyone else.

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2023, 01:04 PM
Thought they were good near the end of the game and kept supporting however would like them to sing all game as sometime goes quiet when losing. Very positive all in imo

This for me too. As folk were drifting off with 15, 10, 5, minutes to go they kept at it producing at least a modicum of stoic defiance if nothing else. If it hadn't been for that all you would have heard would have been the Villa fans gloating at their sledgehammer cracking the Hibs nut.

The East .. Block7 ... Who cares who is making a noise so long as somebody is doing it. Better that than a library.

Greenbeard
24-08-2023, 01:24 PM
Speaking of massage I noticed Scorpio Leisure was up for sale on the way to the Holy Ground yesterday

The end of an era

Went in there once and at the end of my massage the lassie whispered in my ear "would you like super sex as an extra?"
"Cheers doll, I'm a bit tired so I'll just take the soup."

RIP Ricki Fulton

Green Man
24-08-2023, 01:40 PM

I was sitting in the next section along from the Block 7 guys and noticed a couple of times that when a chant started up from the east, Block 7 seemed annoyed and started up a different chant. It was better later on when the drummer picked up a chant from the east and we got more folk joining in.

DIXIHIBS
24-08-2023, 01:53 PM

Was in the front row FF upper last nite and saw this too. 2 or 3 times the east was belting it out and megaphone man desperately tried to get a different chant going from B7. Dont understand this mindset. Really felt they were distancing themselves from other fans. B7 should be helping atmosphere for benefit of the team, not themselves imho.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2023, 01:57 PM
I was sitting in the next section along from the Block 7 guys and noticed a couple of times that when a chant started up from the east, Block 7 seemed annoyed and started up a different chant. It was better later on when the drummer picked up a chant from the east and we got more folk joining in.

Egotastic!

There's plenty atmosphere at Easter Road for the bigger matches. There's no need for a singing section on those days.

When it's the likes of Ross County at home, it's much quieter unless the team is flying and a drummer with a few chants doesn't help that in the slightest. It's just noise.

Hibby70
24-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Biggest problem with the Ultras is that their songs are generally mince. When it's accompanied with incessant drumming so you can't even make out the words then it's even worse.

Definitely becoming a bit of a pain to a lot of fans - couple that with folk being hacked off at the team is only going to lead to a bit of bother at an away game I reckon.

Helensburghhibs
24-08-2023, 02:52 PM
Block 7 need to embrace the traditional songs if they are to develop to any more than 30 youngsters. The generic chants are pish,,

Helensburghhibs
24-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Was in the front row FF upper last nite and saw this too. 2 or 3 times the east was belting it out and megaphone man desperately tried to get a different chant going from B7. Dont understand this mindset. Really felt they were distancing themselves from other fans. B7 should be helping atmosphere for benefit of the team, not themselves imho.

Yeah noticed this and pointed it out. He wasnt happy. Even the ff lower joined in with more of the east started songs than the block 7 ones

H18 SFR
24-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Oddest thing I’ve heard today is that my mate’s nephew (15 year old) was in the block 7 bit and took his mobile phone out to take a video and was told by a block 7 member wearing on of their t shirts that he had to stop or leave the section as mobile phones are banned in ‘their’ bit.

Sounds a bit weird to me.

bingo70
24-08-2023, 03:01 PM
Oddest thing I’ve heard today is that my mate’s nephew (15 year old) was in the block 7 bit and took his mobile phone out to take a video and was told by a block 7 member wearing on of their t shirts that he had to stop or leave the section as mobile phones are banned in ‘their’ bit.

Aye, my laddie spent the second half in amongst them and he said the same thing. He was buzzing the boy with the microphone actually spoke to him though so these guys are certainly getting some sort of celebrity status with the younger crowds. Load of nonsense to me but dare say I’m not their target audience.

Johnny Clash
24-08-2023, 03:04 PM

I noticed a banner at front of the B7 section saying ‘Free Zone’ with a diagonal red line and an image. I thought it might be a smoke bomb/flare image but could have been a mobile phone right enough?

Hibbyradge
24-08-2023, 03:05 PM

They have a "no mobile phones" flag :faf:

Hibbyradge
24-08-2023, 03:06 PM
I noticed a banner at front of the B7 section saying ‘Free Zone’ with a diagonal red line and an image. I thought it might be a smoke bomb/flare image but could have been a mobile phone right enough?

It was a mobile phone.

Hibs3-2
24-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Block 7 need to embrace the traditional songs if they are to develop to any more than 30 youngsters. The generic chants are pish,,
Yup

SlickShoes
24-08-2023, 03:20 PM
Lots of old man yells at cloud energy in here.

They sang some older songs, some newer ones and both them and the east responded as you’d expect to god save the queen.

Our stadium really lacks atmosphere sometimes so if these guys like making noise then great, maybe it will drown out the collective sigh when we misplace passes or concede from crosses.

Anthony Soprano
24-08-2023, 03:23 PM
Keep them drum. If we got rid there would be times where ER would be a bit of a library. Few times last night (understandably in this case as we were getting trounced) it was a bit dead atmosphere wise but the B7 boys still kept the drum banging. I’d rather that than nothing at all.

Completely agree. You'll notice when it's not there and the place is completely dead if we're not playing well.

GreenCastle
24-08-2023, 03:48 PM

Sat in the East last night and Block 7 were good / looked good.

Actually felt we need better songs as Hail Hail and We are Hibernian FC are fine but need more catchy songs as we will turn into the Jambos if we just sing the old classics.

If we didn’t have block 7 the atmosphere would be awful so keep the drum / the noise / flags.

WHAM
24-08-2023, 03:52 PM

100% agree with this re. he traditional chants.

When sung in unison much loud and better than the newer ones.

I still think there is a place for the newer chants & drums to keep the atmosphere going….but not at the expense or extinction of the older tunes.

“…all together now….we hate glasgow rangers…”

fat freddy
24-08-2023, 04:35 PM

The end of an era

https://youtu.be/5PTscHSOMHE?feature=shared

Scorpio Leisure hasn't died, it has morphed into a punk band with a well kent Hibby on bass

Chuck Rhoades
24-08-2023, 04:37 PM
The drum works but there’s a hell of a lot of new songs at the moment, half of which I don’t know. I think it needs a better mix of classics and new instead of predominantly new. I struggled to join in last night until I figured out the words!

snedzuk
24-08-2023, 04:40 PM
They have a "no mobile phones" flag :faf:

Its because they cant text that information.

Lancs Harp
24-08-2023, 04:54 PM
The Ultra thing isnt for for me but im not knocking it, its popular with the youngsters just as the Casual era was to my generation back in the day. Not everyone appreciated that either back then.

ManlyOz
24-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Good on the guys for trying to build up an atmosphere, was in east middle last night and couldn’t really hear them. Think they are better in East but looks better for tv behind the goals 😁

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 06:08 PM
Sat in the East last night and Block 7 were good / looked good.

Actually felt we need better songs as Hail Hail and We are Hibernian FC are fine but need more catchy songs as we will turn into the Jambos if we just sing the old classics.

If we didn’t have block 7 the atmosphere would be awful so keep the drum / the noise / flags.

I always though the old Since1875 group struck a good balance between the old and new.

Chants like Allez Allez (whatever happened to that? Hardly hear it now) really caught on among the wider fanbase. Same with things like the Ambrose and Bartley songs as well as the '**** yer 1902' song and the like.

Freshened things up but didn't seem as much of a competition with the rest of the fanbase. A lot of the Block 7 songs are sung by loads of other fans groups just tweaked slightly depending on the club. A quick glance at the likes of Tik ToK and you'll see various Ultras groups all singing the same half dozen chants.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2023, 06:44 PM
Lots of old man yells at cloud energy in here.

I've not got the first idea what this means! 🤔

Rumble de Thump
24-08-2023, 06:47 PM
The drummer can beat it.

lugz
24-08-2023, 07:00 PM
Think one of the biggest issues with block 7 is there want to sing there own songs/newer songs, most of which the majority of fans don’t know. You could see a difference in the atmosphere when the east started older songs. The only one that seems to catch on is the Paul Hanlon one.

Groathillgrump
24-08-2023, 07:30 PM

Think it's something to do with old folk getting upset at unimportant things they have no control over. Or something....

I'm_cabbaged
24-08-2023, 07:31 PM
I was in block 38 in the east and couldn’t hear anything they were singing because of the drum. As said earlier, even if I could I wouldn’t know the ***** song anyway!! Good luck to them if they’re enjoying themselves though!

Helensburghhibs
24-08-2023, 07:38 PM
I always though the old Since1875 group struck a good balance between the old and new.

Chants like Allez Allez (whatever happened to that? Hardly hear it now) really caught on among the wider fanbase. Same with things like the Ambrose and Bartley songs as well as the '**** yer 1902' song and the like.

Freshened things up but didn't seem as much of a competition with the rest of the fanbase. A lot of the Block 7 songs are sung by loads of other fans groups just tweaked slightly depending on the club. A quick glance at the likes of Tik ToK and you'll see various Ultras groups all singing the same half dozen chants.

100 percent,, there was a teaser at the start of the season about a return but never materialised, id wager a few of those lads have seats at the top of section 43

GreenGray
24-08-2023, 08:04 PM

Have got to agree, I am all for a singing section and think they belong in FF lower but don’t do themselves favours at times. Appreciate the effort they put into atmosphere though. Block 7 getting annoyed at people for not doing their chants does seem weird.

Since 1875 done a great job of striking the balance imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewysGot2
24-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Think one of the biggest issues with block 7 is there want to sing their he own songs/newer songs, most of which the majority of fans don’t know. You could see a difference in the atmosphere when the east started older songs. The only one that seems to catch on is the Paul Hanlon one.

The East were louder and clearer each Euro game this season than in domestic matches. I could hear hem really well but couldn’t really hear the FF Lower. One of the issues with some of the B7 songs is they’re not really suitable for everyone joining in. GGTTH sees every generation gie it laldy - suited to kids and folk who really don’t want to sing about Mrs Mercer or, indeed, not seeing why an old rich ladies death has anything to do with Hibs. These less inclusive songs immediately see a drop off in folk singing.

Jack McLeod struck the right note. Perfect for the occasion. The old Since 1875 had a great balance of songs, too.

hibee
24-08-2023, 08:49 PM
I’m in the FF upper and not part of their target audience but for most of the time I had no idea what they were saying so couldn’t join in even if I wanted too. I did think the guy with the megaphone sounded a bit like a Scooter song, the old songs are still the best which is probably why the whole stadium mainly joined in with songs started from the East.

As for the drum well I’m glad it will be at the other end of the ground on Saturday, just don’t see the point of it.

Alfred E Newman
24-08-2023, 09:17 PM
We didn’t need drums to create atmosphere in the Auld Days. Admittedly the drink helped.

Crunchie
24-08-2023, 09:19 PM
The group behind the goal looked decent last night and atmosphere was great all round the stadium. For me, the best chants emanated from the East and grew round the stadium. (As a 50 something I guess it’s natural to have a softer spot for the older terrace favourites that have stood the rest of time as opposed to the modern songbook)

I was in the East section 41, that is as close as I’d like to be

matty_f
24-08-2023, 11:07 PM
I think the East showed last night the Steve between atmosphere and noise. It was organic, spontaneous and inclusive, and as a result everyone joined in.

In a way, I don't think last night did much to back up the idea that being behind the goals makes much of a difference to things.

Red Cabbage
25-08-2023, 12:18 AM
Have got to agree, I am all for a singing section and think they belong in FF lower but don’t do themselves favours at times. Appreciate the effort they put into atmosphere though. Block 7 getting annoyed at people for not doing their chants does seem weird.

Since 1875 done a great job of striking the balance imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about Since 1875 - some great songs in there and great balance between old and new. That said, most of it came off the back of having a decent team on the park and the cup win - so there was something to sing about.

I totally disagree about the singing section being in the FF Lower. I am in the West Lower close to the away end and I could hardly hear anything from Block 7 last night. The point of a singing section is two fold - create a better atmosphere for home fans and intimidate away fans. Not a hope anyone in the away end will be intimidated by Block 7 in the FF Lower as they can hardly hear anything from them and even if they could, it is almost impossible to make out any of the words to what they are singing. We need to get back to focussing on all fans creating an atmosphere with some decent songs - post the words to them on here or FB pages and then they will catch on. I thought the Villa fans were excellent last night - great range of songs. The biggest problem we have is that there is very little on the pitch to sing about.

SChibs
25-08-2023, 06:32 AM
Agree about Since 1875 - some great songs in there and great balance between old and new. That said, most of it came off the back of having a decent team on the park and the cup win - so there was something to sing about.

I totally disagree about the singing section being in the FF Lower. I am in the West Lower close to the away end and I could hardly hear anything from Block 7 last night. The point of a singing section is two fold - create a better atmosphere for home fans and intimidate away fans. Not a hope anyone in the away end will be intimidated by Block 7 in the FF Lower as they can hardly hear anything from them and even if they could, it is almost impossible to make out any of the words to what they are singing. We need to get back to focussing on all fans creating an atmosphere with some decent songs - post the words to them on here or FB pages and then they will catch on. I thought the Villa fans were excellent last night - great range of songs. The biggest problem we have is that there is very little on the pitch to sing about.

On the flip side I was in the FF lower and didn't hear any noise from the Villa fans all night. That's not me saying they weren't singing it's just the way the noise travelled

DH1875
25-08-2023, 07:43 AM
Its the singing section not the Block 7 section. They've just got lucky that the move to FFL coincides with their time. Should have happened years ago before most of them were even born.

.Sean.
25-08-2023, 07:53 AM

Between that and the balaclavas and blurring out their faces. They seem to think they’re international fugitives. Nobody knows them outside of Block 7

The one good thing from Wednesday was that we had the old East back, for a bit at least. None of these ‘Ultra’ songs that are just copied off every other Ultras group with the words changed.

In saying that I thought they were decent in the F5 and should be kept there. The East takes care of itself anyway

Bobby's Cinema
25-08-2023, 08:06 AM
Another piece of advice - if you want to grow anything then telling fellow fans "come on ****ing sing" won't work.

Carheenlea
25-08-2023, 09:07 AM
I think the East showed last night the Steve between atmosphere and noise. It was organic, spontaneous and inclusive, and as a result everyone joined in.

In a way, I don't think last night did much to back up the idea that being behind the goals makes much of a difference to things.

I’ve always argued there’s a difference between atmosphere and singing.

As you highlight atmosphere can’t really be manufactured -it’s spontaneous and ebbs and flows with the game itself as it plays out. Noise, shouts of encouragement, roars, applause etc. In amongst that you then get a second sense of when to blast out a song or two. The choice of song is usually reflective of what’s happening on the pitch. (Fair play to them, but the B7 continued singing while Villa scored one of their goals and didn’t stop. Wasn’t sure what to make of that to be honest)

You can have a group sing songs all game but it’s only going to grow into an atmosphere if others around the stadium join in. The ultras groups are probably better suited in away grounds where we are all grouped together.

WeeRussell
25-08-2023, 09:14 AM
On the flip side I was in the FF lower and didn't hear any noise from the Villa fans all night. That's not me saying they weren't singing it's just the way the noise travelled

You’re right. The villa fans were loud, but I was sat above them. Meanwhile I couldn’t hear B7 opposite for the vast majority of the game but could see a lot of kids in white t shirts doing the actions along with the drummer.. definitely a distance/noise travel thing.

nonshinyfinish
25-08-2023, 09:25 AM

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/old-man-yells-at-cloud

Hibbyradge
25-08-2023, 09:39 AM
We didn’t need drums to create atmosphere in the Auld Days. Admittedly the drink helped.

And the wooden stand.

Hibees, stomp, stomp, stomp. :greengrin

Mind you, I was on the other side of the ground but I loved it when everyone joined in with that.

jeffers
25-08-2023, 09:41 AM
And the wooden stand.

Mind you, I was on the other side of the ground but I loved it when everyone joined in with that.

I had my first season ticket there 😊

Stubbsy90+2
25-08-2023, 09:42 AM
Between that and the balaclavas and blurring out their faces. They seem to think they’re international fugitives. Nobody knows them outside of Block 7

The one good thing from Wednesday was that we had the old East back, for a bit at least. None of these ‘Ultra’ songs that are just copied off every other Ultras group with the words changed.

In saying that I thought they were decent in the F5 and should be kept there. The East takes care of itself anyway

Maybe nobody knows them because they blur their faces and wear balaclavas? :greengrin

McD
25-08-2023, 01:07 PM

That’s odd, because during the Inter match, I was sitting right above B7, and one of them walked along the wee wall at the front of the stand filming them with his phone, in fact I think a steward was about to tell him to knock it off but he finished and disappeared back into the throng

Also thought it was a bit odd that more than a few of them, hardly seem to even be facing the pitch, never mind watching the match :dunno:

Glory Lurker
25-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Has the FFL experiment been a success? I don't have time for B7 so I'm biased but what are the metrics for judging this?

the_ginger_hibee
25-08-2023, 01:44 PM
Has the FFL experiment been a success? I don't have time for B7 so I'm biased but what are the metrics for judging this?

Percentage of unharmed seats is one of the KPI's I've heard. Ben told me in the pub.

Alfred E Newman
25-08-2023, 07:40 PM
And the wooden stand.

And the dreaded slow stomp! :taxi

cabbageandribs1875
25-08-2023, 07:44 PM
22 against
41 only want it in small doses

the decision is final

Bang the Drum

err, i mean Ban the Drum

i still blame that Livi drummer for starting it in Scotland

wookie70
25-08-2023, 08:22 PM

If there is only a very small number and a few bairns it will make no difference to the noise. The atmosphere may improve with them being away from the East though and if the drumming stopped you may get an even better atmosphere from the east. I can't hear them anyway and didn't really hear them when they were directly opposite me barring the drum. The atmosphere is so much better at the big games now it is organic and understandable and not drowned out by a drum. It may end up a win win. B7 can continue to create the atmosphere for themselves and do what they do, they are probably easier to monitor for security and the drum being further away will suit most and give a chance for the atmosphere to return in the East. If the B7 guys are successful in growing their numbers, hugely unlikely imo, then they may create a bit of atmosphere that can be heard elsewhere too.