PDA

View Full Version : What do we want?

DanishJohn
24-08-2023, 11:07 AM
Think the time has come when the club and the fan base have to decide what we want and what we really are about.

What's more important a good defence or good forwards? We perhaps have to move away with the much hyped playing the "Hibs Way"
Does that mean attacking football only? . Looking back through history two of our greatest ever teams , The Famous Five and The Tornados might just have won a bit more if they had had better defences. The attitude was if they score three we'll score four. For a good few years now it just seems all midfield and forwards.

If they want to break this painful circle and get out of this mess , we might need to get someone in who knows how to build a proper solid strong defence.
To hell with this obsession with flowing attacking football, how about getting a team on the park who can win games even if that means at times grinding out results.

Hibee Mac
24-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Dereck McInnes

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
24-08-2023, 11:23 AM
Stop lumping long, aimless diagonal balls up the park.

gbhibby
24-08-2023, 11:35 AM
What do we really really want.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 11:37 AM
The 'Hibs way' is a myth, certainly to my generation and younger. We have witnessed it for brief spells under McLeish, Mowbray and to a lesser extent Stubbs and Lennon but it's always been short lived and we have never shown consistent and incremental growth or sustained success (relative to what success is in Scotland). It's a good season, maybe 2 at a push then back to mid table mediocrity if we are lucky.

I want a winning way. That doesn't have to be boring, industrial clogger football. I want a team getting in oppositions faces, scrapping and fighting for everything and generally being wholly dislikeable to opposition fans. That usually comes with a relatively high tempo and intensity so it brings a degree of excitement naturally, particularly at home. If we have to shut up shop away and can do so effectively then fine.

We need to get out the mindset of constantly comparing to what we have done before and therefore saying 6th is OK because we usually finish 6th if you average the last 500 seasons or whatever. When the current ownership bought the club they spoke about improvements and growing. They talked about increasing turnover to allow us to increase the playing budget. Tbf to them they have been as good as their word. The goalposts have been somewhat shifted now by the club because of said investment and managers and players should be judged to a higher standard. Last season was barely acceptable, the cups performances were pish and 5th is sugar coated because Celtic winning the SC got us Europe, without that European place very few would be arguing last season was good enough.

More than anything I just want to enjoy watching Hibs again and I haven't really since pre-COVID (I accept that contradicts my point about just wanting to win and be successful because we were in the Jack Ross era but his best season came when we were locked at home, by the time we were back at games that team was on the slide in the one good season, can't sustain it pattern). Hibs at the moment are bland, beige football with no real identity and no edge to us. I go along out of blind loyalty and because Hibs is what I do but there is no buzz about it. Frankly I'm fed up with mediocrity, even relative to Scotland. Not accepting mediocrity as the well worn phrase goes but rather having to try and excuse it, and that is something every Hibs fan must be an expert in by now because we do it season after season.

Hibs90
24-08-2023, 11:38 AM
McInnes. And we should do it now before it’s too late.

Knows how to build a squad and set up tactically.

Cat Stanton
24-08-2023, 11:40 AM
What do we want?

Johnson out!

When do we want it?

Now!

Next question...?

Cat Stanton
24-08-2023, 11:41 AM

Yes.

And try that thing that other clubs do too. What's it called - "defending". That's it. Especially those pesky cross ball things.

tonyrougier123
24-08-2023, 11:44 AM
What do we really really want.

Aziga ziga?

bingo70
24-08-2023, 11:58 AM
The 'Hibs way' is a myth, certainly to my generation and younger. We have witnessed it for brief spells under McLeish, Mowbray and to a lesser extent Stubbs and Lennon but it's always been short lived and we have never shown consistent and incremental growth or sustained success (relative to what success is in Scotland). It's a good season, maybe 2 at a push then back to mid table mediocrity if we are lucky.

I want a winning way. That doesn't have to be boring, industrial clogger football. I want a team getting in oppositions faces, scrapping and fighting for everything and generally being wholly dislikeable to opposition fans. That usually comes with a relatively high tempo and intensity so it brings a degree of excitement naturally, particularly at home. If we have to shut up shop away and can do so effectively then fine.

We need to get out the mindset of constantly comparing to what we have done before and therefore saying 6th is OK because we usually finish 6th if you average the last 500 seasons or whatever. When the current ownership bought the club they spoke about improvements and growing. They talked about increasing turnover to allow us to increase the playing budget. Tbf to them they have been as good as their word. The goalposts have been somewhat shifted now by the club because of said investment and managers and players should be judged to a higher standard. Last season was barely acceptable, the cups performances were pish and 5th is sugar coated because Celtic winning the SC got us Europe, without that European place very few would be arguing last season was good enough.

More than anything I just want to enjoy watching Hibs again and I haven't really since pre-COVID (I accept that contradicts my point about just wanting to win and be successful because we were in the Jack Ross era but his best season came when we were locked at home, by the time we were back at games that team was on the slide in the one good season, can't sustain it pattern). Hibs at the moment are bland, beige football with no real identity and no edge to us. I go along out of blind loyalty and because Hibs is what I do but there is no buzz about it. Frankly I'm fed up with mediocrity, even relative to Scotland. Not accepting mediocrity as the well worn phrase goes but rather having to try and excuse it, and that is something every Hibs fan must be an expert in by now because we do it season after season.

The problem with only wanting a winning way is that at a team like Hibs that’s not sustainable for long. We’re always going to lose most games against the old firm and our fair share of games against Hearts and Aberdeen. If literally all you care about is winning, as soon as we go through an inevitable bad run that all teams go through, there’s no credit in the bank for the manager as everybody is bored.

I get annoyed at people dismissing the Hibs way as a myth as I think it’s misunderstood. People present it as us wanting to play like peak Barcelona or Brazil but that’s not the case, nobody expects that. I want us to have a manger that has us playing attacking, high intensity football that sees us scoring lots of goals and creating loads of chances. Like you say, that comes in various ways and it could easily be by playing really effective route one football with dangerous and fast wingers. If it works then great.

Slow, defensive, pedestrian football trying to grind out narrow victories isn’t for me as I know it’s a matter of time till it won’t work.

That’s not me wanting us to play some mythical Hibs way, I just want to enjoy going tk the games.

To take it one step further, in terms of what I want, I would like a manager that I can relate to. One that is enthusiastic and passionate. Someone that I enjoy listening to as I find them engaging, someone that wears their heart on their sleeve and not an overly media trained robot that talks out a textbook.

Who that person is I’m not sure, Lennon ticks a lot of the boxes but I’m well aware of his shortcomings so I don’t think he would be the right person to replace LJ.

18Craig75
24-08-2023, 12:00 PM
To win more than we lose whilst being entertained. Hibs fans in the South stand weekly because it’s enjoyable. A cup every 5 years. European games every year, group stage football once every few years.

Brightside
24-08-2023, 12:02 PM
Bring Jack Home :greengrin

JammyDoidger
24-08-2023, 12:05 PM
I don't understand why we can't play some good football and win. Surely if you've got guys like Youan, Boyle, Vente, Levitt, Newell in the side having a decent platform, a competent back 4 is a good thing..if we went and signed Killies defence this season, or the St Johnstone defence of a couple of years ago we would have been more successful, Hanlon, Stevenson, Miller, would still struggle to get into a bottom 6 side and that's the truth, it's obvious we can score goals so why not just bring in some competent SPFL defenders, and give us a chance. It's rediculous that every window we overlook the defence because 'they'll do', they won't do, they're not good enough, get it sorted before the end of the window whilst we have a chance.

Anthony Soprano
24-08-2023, 12:07 PM
I’d take results over exciting football every day of the week.

bingo70
24-08-2023, 12:12 PM
I’d take results over exciting football every day of the week.

Wouldn’t you rather have both?

Genuine question this and please take it the way it’s intended, if we play say St Johnstone for example, score an early goal then shut up shop the whole game, creating nothing and not seeing much of the ball, we hold on to the win though, do you genuinely leave Easter Road having enjoyed the game?

Also, do you think playing like that will attract the fair weather fans to come more regularly?

I know some people only care about the end result, that’s not enough for me though, I want to enjoy it and imo the best way to achieve that over a longer period of time is to play attacking football, however that looks.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 12:13 PM
The problem with only wanting a winning way is that at a team like Hibs that’s not sustainable for long. We’re always going to lose most games against the old firm and our fair share of games against Hearts and Aberdeen. If literally all you care about is winning, as soon as we go through an inevitable bad run that all teams go through, there’s no credit in the bank for the manager as everybody is bored.

I get annoyed at people dismissing the Hibs way as a myth as I think it’s misunderstood. People present it as us wanting to play like peak Barcelona or Brazil but that’s not the case, nobody expects that. I want us to have a manger that has us playing attacking, high intensity football that sees us scoring lots of goals and creating loads of chances. Like you say, that comes in various ways and it could easily be by playing really effective route one football with dangerous and fast wingers. If it works then great.

Slow, defensive, pedestrian football trying to grind out narrow victories isn’t for me as I know it’s a matter of time till it won’t work.

That’s not me wanting us to play some mythical Hibs way, I just want to enjoy going tk the games.

To take it one step further, in terms of what I want, I would like a manager that I can relate to. One that is enthusiastic and passionate. Someone that I enjoy listening to as I find them engaging, someone that wears their heart on their sleeve and not an overly media trained robot that talks out a textbook.

Who that person is I’m not sure, Lennon ticks a lot of the boxes but I’m well aware of his shortcomings so I don’t think he would be the right person to replace LJ.

I think we all accept that we will lose against the OF more often than not, albeit we had a few good results against a very good Celtic side under Rodgers first time round. Mowbray failed to beat Rangers in his 1st season in charge and took at least 3 real hammerings from Hearts but had plenty credit in the bank because he had us winning more often than not. Under Johnson we lose more often than we win, that's a fact that's 100% verifiable.

Your description of the 'Hibs way' doesn't seem all that different from what I have described wanting to see but I don't see anything uniquely Hibs about that, I could reel of a whole load of teams who play high intensity football on the front foot. Maybe myth is the wrong word but so many people seem to follow up talk of said Hibs way with a misty eyed anecdote about the 1970s. It's gone, it's done and it's not coming back. I want to see a way of playing broadly similar to what you describe not because it's a Hibs way but because it more than likely would be a winning way and an entertaining way into the bargain. Teams that win more often than they lose generally are the teams who play good football with intensity. I'd happily accept shutting up shop at 1-0 away from home in particular now and then though if that is what it took. Even the real top teams have to do that every now and then.

Iain G
Bring Jack Home :greengrin

Matty Jack of course 😁

Skol
Dereck McInnes

I don’t want mcinnes

WestStandWillie
24-08-2023, 12:19 PM
A team that has a backbone. A big hard ******* either at centre hawf or sitting in front of them offering protection. A proper voice on the pitch, not a squeak like our current captain.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 12:23 PM
I don’t want mcinnes

Out of curiosity who would you want?

Not a dig, genuinely interested. I look at guys who are within our sphere of potential and I struggle to see many with better credentials.

The other options would seem to be someone like Ian Murray or another Scottish lower league manager, a guy comparable in record to Johnson from down south or a punt on a foreigner with no knowledge of Scottish football.

Admittedly the last one would be potentially entertaining.

bingo70
24-08-2023, 12:26 PM

Not a dig, genuinely interested. I look at guys who are within our sphere of potential and I struggle to see many with better credentials.

The other options would seem to be someone like Ian Murray or another Scottish lower league manager, a guy comparable in record to Johnson from down south or a punt on a foreigner with no knowledge of Scottish football.

Taking a punt on the young Airdrie manager would be more appealing to me than Ian Murray.

As would Marvin Bartley although I’ve not really any idea how well he’s doing at QOTS, I just like the guy.

bingo70
24-08-2023, 12:57 PM
I think we all accept that we will lose against the OF more often than not, albeit we had a few good results against a very good Celtic side under Rodgers first time round. Mowbray failed to beat Rangers in his 1st season in charge and took at least 3 real hammerings from Hearts but had plenty credit in the bank because he had us winning more often than not. Under Johnson we lose more often than we win, that's a fact that's 100% verifiable.

Your description of the 'Hibs way' doesn't seem all that different from what I have described wanting to see but I don't see anything uniquely Hibs about that, I could reel of a whole load of teams who play high intensity football on the front foot. Maybe myth is the wrong word but so many people seem to follow up talk of said Hibs way with a misty eyed anecdote about the 1970s. It's gone, it's done and it's not coming back. I want to see a way of playing broadly similar to what you describe not because it's a Hibs way but because it more than likely would be a winning way and an entertaining way into the bargain. Teams that win more often than they lose generally are the teams who play good football with intensity. I'd happily accept shutting up shop at 1-0 away from home in particular now and then though if that is what it took. Even the real top teams have to do that every now and then.

I don’t see many people saying they want Hibs to play ‘the Hibs way’ now. People on that side of the argument say they want to enjoy going to the games and be entertained, people then reply to go on about some unrealistic mythical Hibs way. That’s my experience of that conversation anyway.

I’m sure there will be some particularly from the older generation but generally speaking I don’t think there’s many people demanding football is played ‘The Hibs Way’

Skol
24-08-2023, 02:21 PM

Good question and right now I don’t know. I think mcinnes would be very similar to Ross and we know what happened there as some fans didn’t like how things were and he was dismissed.

I think I would NeEd to know who the realistic candidates are. However right now there is no vacancy and so it’s a moot point.

Anthony Soprano
24-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Wouldn’t you rather have both?

Genuine question this and please take it the way it’s intended, if we play say St Johnstone for example, score an early goal then shut up shop the whole game, creating nothing and not seeing much of the ball, we hold on to the win though, do you genuinely leave Easter Road having enjoyed the game?

Also, do you think playing like that will attract the fair weather fans to come more regularly?

I know some people only care about the end result, that’s not enough for me though, I want to enjoy it and imo the best way to achieve that over a longer period of time is to play attacking football, however that looks.

I would, but it’s finding a manager who’s capable of doing so. The last manager who was able to get results whilst playing good football, with any kind of consistency was Lennon for half a season then the wheels started coming off.

Prior to him (not including Stubbs in the championship). Yogi for a season when he got us europe? But then again we were unable to build on it the following season.

I actually didn’t think the football under Jack Ross was all that bad, and he did win the games you’d expect, but failing in the big occasions was his downfall.

I know a lot of fans would disagree, but I’d like to see mcinnes given a go with our budget, did a great job at Aberdeen over multiple years and has Killie looking hard to beat.

Basildon Hibs
24-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Johnson out ASAP.

New defence.

Some hard *******(s) in the midfield.

Anthony Soprano
24-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Also think we should have got Alex Neil in when he was available, not sure if we tried or not though.

SaulGoodman
24-08-2023, 02:40 PM
Hot water in the toilets. And the floor cleaned at some point to get rid of the smell of pish

hibsforeurope
24-08-2023, 02:43 PM
We have fallen so far form what is acceptable under LJ i'd just be happy with wins. Until that happens, style is irrelevant. we can work on style once the results are sorted.

hibsforeurope
24-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Also think we should have got Alex Neil in when he was available, not sure if we tried or not though.

Alex Neil was on BBC radio the night of the Livi game and was talking loads on Hibs that night. Certainly sounded like he knew what the issues were and was interested in the job.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2023, 02:50 PM
Alex Neil was on BBC radio the night of the Livi game and was talking loads on Hibs that night. Certainly sounded like he knew what the issues were and was interested in the job.

I remember that. Unusually controversial for a guest. Was basically saying the players weren't playing for the manager. JR was punted shortly after.

Just get Stubbs back, to the end of the season even. Doubt McInnes would want anything to do with Hibs under the current regime.

hibsforeurope
24-08-2023, 02:54 PM
I remember that. Unusually controversial for a guest. Was basically saying the players weren't playing for the manager. JR was punted shortly after.

Just get Stubbs back, to the end of the season even. Doubt McInnes would want anything to do with Hibs under the current regime.

That's a big worry, i doubt he'll be the only one who would think twice.

Iain G
24-08-2023, 04:12 PM

When did Stubbs last manage a club? Best left alone.

I always find this Hibs supporters need to go back to our past for managers an odd thing, it feels very unadventurous and insecure, harking back to the halcyon days of olde.

Iain G
24-08-2023, 04:15 PM
That's a big worry, i doubt he'll be the only one who would think twice.

Why is it a big worry? The Gordon family are happily investing in the team and in the stadium and training centre, any manager with aspirations would love to come into that kind of environment with positive owners.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2023, 04:18 PM
When did Stubbs last manage a club? Best left alone.

I always find this Hibs supporters need to go back to our past for managers an odd thing, it feels very unadventurous and insecure, harking back to the halcyon days of olde.

Odd? Sensible I'd say. Have another look at who he signed compared to some of the dross that's been signed since.

Daily Hibs
24-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Derek McInnes in!

Lee Johnson and his ENTIRE coaching staff along with Hanlon and Stevenson out.

Time to move away from sentimentality and be AMBITIOUS!!!

JimBHibees
24-08-2023, 04:25 PM

He was never coming to Hibs

Iain G
24-08-2023, 04:27 PM
Odd? Sensible I'd say. Have another look at who he signed compared to some of the dross that's been signed since.

Why can't we find a manager that's actually managing if we are to replace LJ? And preferably one with a good track record.

southern hibby
24-08-2023, 04:35 PM
I’m no greedy. I’ll tell you what I want…..

A goalkeeper who can command his box…

A centre half ( possibly 2 if I’m allowed to be greedy) who can challenge without falling over AND who can defend a cross.

A NUMBER 10 ( How long does it take to get one of these in? )

A manager who can address the above and who can play players in their correct position….

GGTTH

Iain G
24-08-2023, 04:37 PM
I’m no greedy. I’ll tell you what I want…..

A goalkeeper who can command his box…

A centre half ( possibly 2 if I’m allowed to be greedy) who can challenge without falling over AND who can defend a cross.

A NUMBER 10 ( How long does it take to get one of these in? )

A manager who can address the above and who can play players in their correct position….

GGTTH

We have a number 10, it's Martin Boyle 😁

JeMeSouviens
24-08-2023, 04:45 PM
Top 4 or higher finish. Decent runs in the cups. The better results in the derbies. Easy peasy.

Hibees1973
24-08-2023, 04:50 PM
We want someone who is capable of getting the basics right.

A solid defensive structure and one which is able to deal with simple crosses into the box. This season we have already lost loads of goals with the opposition scoring headers in the box.

We want a replacement for Stevenson at left back.

Also a manager who does not talk p*sh. We need someone experienced and have the necessary authority to provide some hope.

HarpOnHibee
24-08-2023, 05:03 PM
A well balanced team. Instead of constantly chasing so called "marquee" signings while neglecting other areas of the pitch. We end up relying too much on the individual performances of a few players rather than building a solid overall unit that can limit the damage when a player or two are having an off game. Until we do that, we'll continue to be arguably the most inconsistent club in Scotland around our level.

southern hibby
24-08-2023, 05:08 PM
We have a number 10, it's Martin Boyle 😁

Ok then a creative midfielder who can create.

GGTTH

Centre Hawf
24-08-2023, 05:16 PM
Dereck McInnes

The fact both of these were the first two posts probably shows we don't know what we want.

One Day Soon
24-08-2023, 05:24 PM

Absolutely spot on.

James70
24-08-2023, 05:24 PM
At the start of the Jim McLean reign at Dundee Utd he concentrated on the defence and made them a difficult team to beat but boring to watch. He developed other parts of the team in later seasons.

Hibs need to build from the back as our defence is currently terrible but we can't afford to become boring, the fans won't accept it.

We have a decent forward line already but apart from Newell our defence and midfield are sadly lacking.

One Day Soon
24-08-2023, 05:26 PM
I'm rapidly coming to the view that we have a Ben Kensell problem.

The Modfather
24-08-2023, 05:27 PM
A midfield! One that you can understand and relate to. Not a collection of one paced midfielders who don’t compliment each other.

Waxy
24-08-2023, 05:32 PM
I think we really need to get behind LJ for the season.
Then if we havent progressed enough then yes look elsewhere.But where?
I really wish we could all (The whole club and supporters) Just get behind and support the players this season.

Nicho87
24-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Some nasty *******s in the club

We’re still too nice

Not ruthless with players

Players kept cause they train well etc

madbadlad
24-08-2023, 05:40 PM

Especially if Doidge not playing. He’s the only one who can make those balls stick.

Keith_M
24-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Hot water in the toilets. And the floor cleaned at some point to get rid of the smell of pish

And half decent cheeseburgers. No more of the dried out type of rolls that mine was wrapped in yesterday.

Oh and a bit stronger coffee, please. The stuff we currently get is more like coloured water.

Smartie
24-08-2023, 05:45 PM
I'm rapidly coming to the view that we have a Ben Kensell problem.

I'm still patient for now and not one of those loudly demanding change, but if I were to point in the direction of someone/ somewhere where I think any problems we might be having would be stemming from, that's where I'd be pointing the finger first.

That's assuming I'm not allowed to say "the midfield".

I have many more concerns about the midfield and Kensall than I do about Johnson, the defence, the much maligned Hanlon and Stevenson duo, our current recruitment team, the food or the bogs.

Tambo
24-08-2023, 05:48 PM
3 points on Saturday would be a start.

scm70nyd1973
24-08-2023, 05:50 PM
At the start of the Jim McLean reign at Dundee Utd he concentrated on the defence and made them a difficult team to beat but boring to watch. He developed other parts of the team in later seasons.

Hibs need to build from the back as our defence is currently terrible but we can't afford to become boring, the fans won't accept it.

We have a decent forward line already but apart from Newell our defence and midfield are sadly lacking.

Alex Miller did the same to a degree but at a slower pace and nowhere as good as Thumper Jim did - a solid defence does give you hope as we probs won’t have the Boozys,Thomsons,Riordans and O’connors ever again to haul us back into it with a shed load of goals after going one or two down.

James70
24-08-2023, 06:06 PM
I'd like to see more youngsters come through the ranks into the first team and be better physically prepared than some in the past.

John McGinn looks a much leaner and more physically developed individual than when he was with Hibs. I wonder if he is getting different gym work at Villa. Not just him, all their players are better developed physically as well as technically.

sauzeelegod
24-08-2023, 06:10 PM
You can play attacking football and still be good defensively.
I want us to play football that is attractive to watch.
I want us to press high and be aggressive.

ancient hibee
24-08-2023, 06:24 PM
I've been watching Hibs since the tail end of the Famous Five-the season we lost the league on goal average. So have seen plenty of good teams and plenty of dross and then the wonder of 2016. Without a doubt the most enjoyable time was the era of Joe Baker. Partly it was him being in the same age group as me instead of an adult of 29/30 but the sheer excitement of watching a kid getting regularly battered and picking himself up to score great goals was wonderful. Make no mistake the team performance veered between woeful and fantastic-Smith and Ormond could still do a bit and Turnbull ran the midfield for a while until Johnstone came back and delivered a season of a midfield master class which gave us goal after goal. Losing the cup final was a blow and we never threatened to win anything else. Then Joe was sold and it was all over. So I look back on it with great fondness even though I went home plenty of times cursing our defence. What I'm trying to say is-what do I want now?haven't a clue.

Onion
24-08-2023, 06:29 PM
You can play attacking football and still be good defensively.
I want us to play football that is attractive to watch.
I want us to press high and be aggressive.

You can, but not with this squad. Last night we looked like a bunch of individuals who were more intent on showcasing their own abilities or inabilities than being part of a cohesive, effective unit.

Every now and then, something good threatens to happen up front. Rest of the time, we look passive, leaderless or all over the shop.

scm70nyd1973
24-08-2023, 06:52 PM
In reflection I would absolutely love to see a team full of Scottish professionals - like it was in 72/73.