PDA

View Full Version : Saturday is huge.

berwickhibee
23-08-2023, 07:37 PM
Nothing less than 3 points will do.

As a club we need to kick on in the league now.

Cat Stanton
23-08-2023, 07:40 PM

Yep.

Hopefully Livingston don't know how to cross the ball.

AFKA5814_Hibs
23-08-2023, 07:42 PM
Agreed. We cannot afford to lose 3 league games in a row.

Unseen work
23-08-2023, 07:44 PM
Yep.

Hopefully Livingston don't know how to cross the ball.

Unfortunately this is probably the worst team for us to play now.

Martindale will be rubbing his hands watching that tonight. Loads of space for wingers and cross it into the box

Vault Boy
23-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Correct, a win is basically required for LJ & co. We could be looking at a double figure defeat on aggregate in Europe and simply can’t withstand sitting on 0 or 1 point(s) after our third league game. All our games will have been against teams that finished below us last year too.

Aside from the points, our morale needs the win.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Europe is done and dusted now. We need to go through the motions next Thursday but the fat lady has completed her vocal excercises and cleared her throat.

Onto the league. Saturday won't decide anything one way or another about a number of issues but we need to improve quickly, that means both performances and results. I think we will see a bit wheeling and dealing in the next week or so; we can't go on with this squad as it is, there are no glaringly obvious injury or suspension issues, Levitt is the only big one and he's not long term, yet we still look a fair bit short on quality.

Europe was a nice sideshow. It's about improving in the league now. If we don't then things will change, there's no sentiment in football when all is said and done.

Jim44
23-08-2023, 07:48 PM
Saturday could be very eventful. Europe is effectively behind us and full focus on domestic games will soon decide where we are going as a club.

LunasBoots
23-08-2023, 07:48 PM
Europe is done, time to concentrate on the league and getting wins, the last thing we need on the back of Europe/injuries is a long hard season that ends in a relegation scrap that has happened to other Scottish teams with small squads.

Daily Hibs
23-08-2023, 07:49 PM
It is a vital 3 points on Saturday.

Johnson gone if we lose?

DunblaneHibby
23-08-2023, 07:57 PM

Johnson gone if we lose?

I would think so

One Day Soon
23-08-2023, 08:05 PM

Johnson gone if we lose?

I certainly hope so.

Trinity Hibee
23-08-2023, 08:06 PM

Johnson gone if we lose?

I don’t think he will be. Should he be? I’m 50/50. Tonight really isn’t anything to go off to be fair.

SteveHFC
23-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Next 4 fixtures send shivers through my body
Livi h
Aberdeen killie away
St Johnstone h

We could easily lose 4 of them giving our previous results against them

Nutmegged
23-08-2023, 08:16 PM
Every game now is huge, unfortunately Johnson had put himself in a position where if he doesn't get a win then there will be calls for his head (and rightly so), but the amount of extra pressure that puts on him and the squad will inevitably make a hard task even harder.

The club have well and truly messed this up.

Hibernian Verse
23-08-2023, 08:18 PM
Livi h
Aberdeen killie away
St Johnstone h

We are Hibs, we could easily lose any game in the league.

You’ve been watching Hibs longer than me probably, and you’re Hibs First so you don’t need me to tell you that haha.

IberianHibernian
23-08-2023, 08:22 PM
Every game now is huge, unfortunately Johnson had put himself in a position where if he doesn't get a win then there will be calls for his head (and rightly so), but the amount of extra pressure that puts on him and the squad will inevitably make a hard task even harder.

The club have well and truly messed this up.What do you mean by the last part ? Messed up by not changing manager in summer I`m guessing .

Pretty Boy
23-08-2023, 08:30 PM
Livi h
Aberdeen killie away
St Johnstone h

We could easily win all 4 as well though. That was the thing with Johnson last season, we went on these runs of picking up points in 3 or 4 games on the spin then barely picking up any over broadly the same period. The 'streaky Lee' stuff wasn't totally without merit.

I think it's arguably why he is never more than a couple of games away from a crisis. The defeats come in such big clusters that they allow pressure to build to levels you don't see if it's only a game or 2 in isolation. Last season we lost 3 in a row once and 4 in a row twice, there were a few humpings in those runs as well. We also had another 4 game spell without a win early on albeit that included draws v Hearts and Rangers so it's harsh to be too critical.

I can't really see anyway he gets everyone back onside now. It's not going to be one game that decides his fate but the next 4 could well prove crucial in shaping the view of the decision makers at ER.

One Day Soon
23-08-2023, 08:33 PM
It’s going to be like this more often than not while he is still there. There’s a reason other fans before us called him Streaky Lee.

Carheenlea
23-08-2023, 08:56 PM
There’s definitely been a factor in Europe resulting in some abject league (& cup) performances, but given that it’s now done and dusted we should see a different side on Saturday. Sensed it in the interviews post match that there is no escaping the importance of getting the league campaign underway after a stuttering start.

If the players want another crack at it next year then they’re going to have to put the graft in in order for that to happen.

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2023, 11:18 PM
Tonight's game means nothing in the Johnson in / out debate.

Saturday on the other hand is as the OP said 'huge' .... We need to turn our league form around and if we can't do it at home to the skintest team in the league who have one point and are yet to score a goal we have a real problem.

Our two league games after that are against Aberdeen away, where we have a rubbish record and Killie away, who must be absolutely filled with confidence at this point ... Beat Rangers, Beat Celtic, drew at Tynecastle, where they were the better team by all accounts. If we only draw, or worse lose, to Livvi the knives are gonna be out big time and it wont be long before the fans inside the stadium make their feelings known.

If we do fall short on Saturday and in the two away games I can't see how LJ can survive it.

Colr
23-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Tonight's game means nothing in the Johnson in / out debate.

Saturday on the other hand is as the OP said 'huge' .... We need to turn our league form around and if we can't do it at home to the skintest team in the league who have one point and are yet to score a goal we have a real problem.

Our two league games after that are against Aberdeen away, where we have a rubbish record and Killie away, who must be absolutely filled with confidence at this point ... Beat Rangers, Beat Celtic, drew at Tynecastle, where they were the better team by all accounts. If we only draw, or worse lose, to Livvi the knives are gonna be out big time and it wont be long before the fans inside the stadium make their feelings known.

If we do fall short on Saturday and in the two away games I can't see how LJ can survive it.

He is safe. We can’t change managers again.

23-08-2023, 11:48 PM
It’s going to be like this more often than not while he is still there. There’s a reason other fans before us called him Streaky Lee.

Yes we had a few streaks last season but not this season. Our results have been inconsistent. If anything, we're the opposite of streaky.
LWLWLDWL

Basildon Hibs
23-08-2023, 11:56 PM

Johnson gone if we lose?

I really hope so.

Basildon Hibs
23-08-2023, 11:57 PM

Why not??

Donegal Hibby
24-08-2023, 01:09 AM
Why not??

What's it gain us ?

Greenio
24-08-2023, 04:32 AM
What's it gain us ?

It's gains us nothing for certain.

It costs as a whole lot guaranteed.

Agree the next 4 games will be telling though.

Really hope the team can click

I am sick to death of the new manager merry-go-round

Since452
24-08-2023, 05:26 AM
Is that big galoot Nouble still at Livi? Don't fancy Hanlon or Fish dealing with him. Rocky to start for me.

Allant1981
24-08-2023, 05:28 AM
Is that big galoot Nouble still at Livi? Don't fancy Hanlon or Fish dealing with him. Rocky to start for me.

He is still there and was at the game last night, he must be relishing going up against our defenders at the weekend

He's here!
24-08-2023, 05:35 AM
We could easily win all 4 as well though. That was the thing with Johnson last season, we went on these runs of picking up points in 3 or 4 games on the spin then barely picking up any over broadly the same period. The 'streaky Lee' stuff wasn't totally without merit.

I think it's arguably why he is never more than a couple of games away from a crisis. The defeats come in such big clusters that they allow pressure to build to levels you don't see if it's only a game or 2 in isolation. Last season we lost 3 in a row once and 4 in a row twice, there were a few humpings in those runs as well. We also had another 4 game spell without a win early on albeit that included draws v Hearts and Rangers so it's harsh to be too critical.

I can't really see anyway he gets everyone back onside now. It's not going to be one game that decides his fate but the next 4 could well prove crucial in shaping the view of the decision makers at ER.

I'd be stunned if we win all four. In fact I'll be surprised if we beat Livi. Our defending - from back to front - is just so fragile that building any sort of momentum seems nigh on impossible.

WestStandWillie
24-08-2023, 07:44 AM

This.

No win, desk should be cleared.

Mango Man
24-08-2023, 09:37 AM
He is still there and was at the game last night, he must be relishing going up against our forwards at the weekend

He generally does ragdoll us when we play Livi, scored a couple already this season. May not be the flashiest of players, but is as strong as anything.

Real Emerald
24-08-2023, 09:48 AM
Being in Europe with a squad like ours is asking for trouble so I really hope we can pick up 3 points on Saturday. I said a few weeks back that our squad has went backwards since last season and I stand by that.

It’s not going to happen but unless we upgrade both full backs, a new permanent CH and at least one attacking midfielder we’re going to flirt around the relegation/play off places all season.

We only needed to see the midfield without Newell on Sunday against Raith to realise just how short of quality we are. Our squad as it stands is alarming and unless some of these issues are addressed before the window closes I think we could be in trouble. It’s very concerning and hugely disappointing.

lyonhibs
24-08-2023, 10:12 AM
Yes we had a few streaks last season but not this season. Our results have been inconsistent. If anything, we're the opposite of streaky.
LWLWLDWL

Yup, read a stat that it's been 15 games since we had 2 consecutive results of the same type. We need a win (OR at least a no loss) streak over the next 4 games for him to keep his job IMO

Hibbyradge
24-08-2023, 10:15 AM
I really hope so.

Do you want us to lose to make sure it happens?

Nutmegged
24-08-2023, 05:55 PM
What do you mean by the last part ? Messed up by not changing manager in summer I`m guessing .

Yes, I think we won a watch by managing to qualify for Europe at the end of last season, we were abysmal for long spells, it was a great opportunity for the manager and the club to walk away from each other with their heads held high,

He could've considered his time here a success and we could've moved on to (hopefully) a far better manager, especially if we were going to give him the type of money we've given Johnson to spend this summer.

Borderhibbie76
24-08-2023, 07:16 PM

No way is he safe - he's in big trouble if we lose Sat with the 2 away fixtures that follow - we could conceivably be bottom on zero points by mid Sept- he'd be totally done for if that comes to pass

1875M
24-08-2023, 09:20 PM
Yep. Nothing less than 3 points is acceptable. We need to start finding form in the league asap. A draw is no good.

MrRobot
24-08-2023, 09:28 PM

Johnson gone if we lose?

He should be but i doubt it will happen

IberianHibernian
24-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Yes, I think we won a watch by managing to qualify for Europe at the end of last season, we were abysmal for long spells, it was a great opportunity for the manager and the club to walk away from each other with their heads held high,

He could've considered his time here a success and we could've moved on to (hopefully) a far better manager, especially if we were going to give him the type of money we've given Johnson to spend this summer.I agree entirely . Summer was the ideal time to change manager . Short pre seaons make it harder for clubs to make these decisions - in our case we were lucky to make top 6 let alone top 5 and Europe just as we were unlucky the year before despite massive injury list and cup run to semi .

sauzee1989
25-08-2023, 05:14 AM

Rocky can’t deal with any striker in league never mind Nouble

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2023, 05:25 AM

Yet Rocky played 30 minutes against Villa and the only goal conceded against multi million pound players was a penalty conceded by Lewis who had to pay to get back into the ground after being sold a couple of dummies retreating back into his own box

Harsh !

I thought he did ok showed pace and aggression the Villa strikers were wary of him scoring the highest marks out of 10 6.3 from our back four on the night

Source Sofascore

IIRC it was Hanlon that couldn’t handle Nouble leaving him with egg on his face going into the tackle with the wrong foot and easily being brushed aside

Allant1981
25-08-2023, 05:55 AM

Well thats just wrong

JimBHibees
25-08-2023, 06:07 AM

Course he can personally would bring Harbottle in a three with Fish and Hanlon

DH1875
25-08-2023, 06:26 AM
Doubt he'll go but lose badly then who knows. Lose the next 4 games though (very possible) and he is gone.

Smartie
25-08-2023, 06:27 AM
I’m still behind Johnson and I’m never much in favour of calling games “must win” games but there can be no doubting in my mind that he needs to start winning games and picking up points.

A win here would signify a step in the right direction, anything else and I think it’s right to call into question such a poor return from reasonable fixtures.

It’s a huge game for him although he does have a habit of winning games when the pressure starts to mount on him.

Hibernia&Alba
25-08-2023, 09:05 AM
It’s an important game, given our bad start. Brand new season and morale is already dented. Discontent is noticeable; Johnson needs three points here.

Stuart93
25-08-2023, 09:11 AM
We need the 3 points, simple.

Anything else is a failure

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2023, 01:25 PM

No manager is safe mate.

I have never really been a 'sack the manager' at the first time of trouble sort of fan, and I was very much in the give LJ a decent chance camp. I certainly don't include the Villa game in any thinking, IMO it wouldn't have mattered a toss how we set up or what team he picked, a heavy defeat would always have been a possibility simply because of the gulf in quality.

But he needs to find some form in the league and given what our next two fixtures are, both eminently loseable, a defeat to Livingston is frankly unthinkable.

Stubbsy90+2
25-08-2023, 01:37 PM
We need the 3 points, simple.

Anything else is a failure

Absolutely.

No mitigating circumstances, no excuses, just 3 points and a decent performance.

Since452
25-08-2023, 02:21 PM
We do really need to go and win this game and get our season up and running. I hope the players have taken some inspiration from seeing Villa at close quarters. That's the level they should all be striving for even if it's unrealistic.

Daily Hibs
25-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Sometimes a fanbase also just really needs the 3 points. Saturday is that for us.

h1bs4life
25-08-2023, 06:15 PM
3 points are a must , doesn’t matter how we do it get the win