PDA

View Full Version : Mcginn and Villa

churchie16
23-08-2023, 07:30 PM
Quite rightly going to get put out by the favourites, hope they go on to win it regardless there English purely for John mcginn to lift another trophy a guy that gave a hell of a lot for hibs and performed week in week out unlike some of the jokers you now watch nowadays never a bad word to say about the club and if you know him put a 50/60 percent performance tonight, if you booed him your a complete moron of what that guy done for the club, all the best John don’t let the boos taint over what football people know how good and respected you are by the majority of hibs fans,legend

Pagan Hibernia
23-08-2023, 07:31 PM
He’ll not care about a handful of halfwits booing him. He knows we love him.

Vault Boy
23-08-2023, 07:35 PM
He said in his pre-match press that he wanted to get booed, because it’s a proper competition and he’s an opponent. It was all love at the end, as it was always going to be. He knew that, the fans that were booing knew that, so there’s absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Calling fellow Hibees morons for such a non-event, though…

JammyDoidger
23-08-2023, 07:37 PM
Rather boo him that wear one of they half and half scarfs I saw folk wearing, made me feel physically sick seeing that.

hibee_girl
23-08-2023, 07:37 PM
It felt like good natured booing tbh, he said before he wanted booed :greengrin

He'll have felt all the love from us at the end

Pretty Boy
23-08-2023, 07:39 PM
The booing was pantomime stuff. There was applause when his name was read out pre match, applause when he came to take a corner and he got a fantastic reception post match.

He's a legend but he was also an opposition player tonight, he wouldn't have given a flying **** about us for the 90+ minutes the game was going on and probably never even registered the booing.

Nothing to get worked up about.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2023, 07:40 PM
Folk getting worked up about fans booing an opposition player but quite happily boo **** out of our own players.

Northernhibee
I’m pleased one of our promising players have fulfilled their potential. He deserves it.

Swedish hibee
The booing was tongue in cheek as you could clearly see the clapping and he knows how we feel about him.

Onion
23-08-2023, 07:41 PM
SJM is a Hibs Legend, and a few boo boys will not change that. He's an outstanding player and decent guy who's never said a bad word about Hibs.

Chorley Hibee
23-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Rather boo him that wear one of they half and half scarfs I saw folk wearing, made me feel physically sick seeing that.

Too many folk, in the club and in the stands, starstruck by the opposition and quite happy to accept the rodgering we duly received.

Villa miles ahead of us, absolutely so, but it doesn't excuse the timid response we served up.

And I'm well aware of the standard of opposition, but I guarantee we'll see it throughout the rest of the season too.

Still waiting on us putting in a tackle!

SaulGoodman
23-08-2023, 07:44 PM
Too many folk, in the club and in the stands, starstruck by the opposition and quite happy to accept the rodgering we duly received.

Villa miles ahead of us, absolutely so, but it doesn't excuse the timid response we served up.

And I'm well aware of the standard of opposition, but I guarantee we'll see it throughout the rest of the season too.

Still waiting on us putting in a tackle!

Good call, blame the fans now. You’ve blamed every other **** so why stop now.

Hillsidehibby
23-08-2023, 07:44 PM

Really? Throw up did you?, Hope you’re feeling better now

RIP Bestie
23-08-2023, 07:45 PM
Quite rightly going to get put out by the favourites, hope they go on to win it regardless there English purely for John mcginn to lift another trophy a guy that gave a hell of a lot for hibs and performed week in week out unlike some of the jokers you now watch nowadays never a bad word to say about the club and if you know him put a 50/60 percent performance tonight, if you booed him your a complete moron of what that guy done for the club, all the best John don’t let the boos taint over what football people know how good and respected you are by the majority of hibs fans,legend

Get a grip son

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2023, 07:45 PM
Really? Throw up did you?, Hope you’re feeling better now

😂😂😂

RIP Bestie
23-08-2023, 07:47 PM
Good call, blame the fans now. You’ve blamed every other **** so why stop now.

Maybe because he's spot on??

SaulGoodman
23-08-2023, 07:49 PM
Maybe because he's spot on??

Sorry. I tried my best to clear those crosses. Honest.

makaveli1875
23-08-2023, 07:49 PM
We were lucky to have him when you see where he is now . He just keeps getting better and better . He's been immense for Scotland these last few years too .
SJM legend

Trinity Hibee
23-08-2023, 07:50 PM
It felt like good natured booing tbh, he said before he wanted booed :greengrin

He'll have felt all the love from us at the end

Yeah it really felt tongue in cheek.

RoYO!
23-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Mcginn ovation at the end was an excellent moment. Forever a legend.

RIP Bestie
I’m pleased one of our promising players have fulfilled their potential. He deserves it.

He was a promoting St Mirren player who further developed at Hibs. He wasn't one if our own.
Became a great player after Tynecastle and a legend after Hampden.
He's gone on to reach his level with Scotland and Villa.
Good luck to him. He deserves it

Chorley Hibee
Sorry. I tried my best to clear those crosses. Honest.

You probably got nearer than anyone in our defence did to be fair.

hibsitis
23-08-2023, 07:57 PM
The booing was pantomime stuff. There was applause when his name was read out pre match, applause when he came to take a corner and he got a fantastic reception post match.

He's a legend but he was also an opposition player tonight, he wouldn't have given a flying **** about us for the 90+ minutes the game was going on and probably never even registered the booing.

Nothing to get worked up about.

Great summary of the nonsense!

ManlyOz
23-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Good reception at the end, booing was defo pantomime , I mind years ago watching Henrick Larsson getting booed for Barca and Celtic.

The Spaceman
23-08-2023, 09:05 PM
In a team worth half a billion pounds, he was still their stand-out alongside Watkins and Digne. A fabulous footballer and glad we get to still enjoy him via Scotland.

Glory Lurker
23-08-2023, 09:11 PM
I booed him a good few times then applauded him all the while he did his wee lap of honour, shouting my appreciation to him when he was in our direction.

Carheenlea
23-08-2023, 09:12 PM
A great reception for him at the end where he went round the four stands to offer his appreciation.

He got the balance just right - it wasn’t “look at me now I’m a superstar” but more a dignified mutual appreciation at a place which he feels a strong bond.

The game needs more John McGinn’s. Could do with one ourselves in midfield!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-08-2023, 09:13 PM
Folk getting worked up about fans booing an opposition player but quite happily boo **** out of our own players.

:agree:

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2023, 09:22 PM
Looking at their starters and their bench and how much they each cost made me think we sold SJM too cheap

We bring on Doidge and JDH

They bring on Traore and Tielemans

Money talks

I was not surprised by SJM applauding the fans even the way he left giving 100% for the Hibs cause up until the last kick was pure class a total professional

Silversand
23-08-2023, 09:25 PM
SJM said he hoped he would get abuse & it wasn't some sort of love in.

SJM is a Hibs legend & always will be [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Since452
23-08-2023, 09:34 PM

This

Helensburghhibs
23-08-2023, 09:37 PM
I didn't boo mginn but i did tell him to do one and he was a hibs bassa

Hibs3-2
23-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Wanted to “hate” him so so much tonight during the 90 but just couldnt. Spoke well of the club afterwards too. A club legend no doubt about it

JohnM1875
23-08-2023, 11:13 PM
Booing was absolutely mental, completely disagree with it. Felt the same with the abuse Cummings got when he played against us.

We've won the Scottish Cup ****ing once in all our lifetimes. Both players were vital in that. Show some respect.

Vault Boy
23-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Booing was absolutely mental, completely disagree with it. Felt the same with the abuse Cummings got when he played against us.

We've won the Scottish Cup ****ing once in all our lifetimes. Both players were vital in that. Show some respect.

The Cummings stuff was totally different. The boos tonight were totally harmless and tongue in cheek, hence the reception for SJM at the end. With Jason a few big mouthed eejits were spewing some brutal stuff his way. Still no idea why, tbh.

Centre Hawf
23-08-2023, 11:18 PM
He got a joking boo as he spoke about. He got his round of applause after. I think overall we managed to pay tribute to him without making the night about him in a competitive match with an exhibition atmosphere. The result was rank but the tone of that was well done by everyone imo.

TelaStella
23-08-2023, 11:20 PM
Tbf he openly asked for worse in the media this week. The booing was completely pantomime stuff he’ll of had a laugh at and nothing more. We all love him ffs. Nice to see him again tonight and wish him all the best in the season ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davhibby
23-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Mcginn ovation at the end was an excellent moment. Forever a legend.

This. Was brilliant when he walked round. The booing during the game was what he’d asked for in his pre match interview!

AgentDaleCooper
24-08-2023, 12:08 AM
i absolutely love McGinn, and I'll support any team he plays for outside scotland - but i was booing a bit, because i thought it was a) funny and b) a kind of show of respect to him, because it's how he wanted to be treated. The only downside is that I think it might have made it easier for him. Also would have loved to have seen all four stands singing the SJM song at some point.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2023, 05:06 AM
Booing was genuinely funny. John has a great sense of humour, he'll have enjoyed it.

jacomo
24-08-2023, 05:10 AM

I think John McGinn is going to be ok…

Just_Jimmy
24-08-2023, 06:35 AM
I wish they'd subbed him for a few minutes to go so the whole ground could have shown him what we really think.

Otherwise, it was fine.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 07:12 AM
I wish they'd subbed him for a few minutes to go so the whole ground could have shown him what we really think.

Otherwise, it was fine.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It would have been nice but I'm glad they didn't.

Emery has treated us with respect throughout. He spoke well about us, put out his strongest 11, said he will do the same next week and they never really let up. Subbing McGinn solely so he could get an ovation would have been a bit patronising and I'm glad he continued to treat it as a competitive game even if the gulf in class meant it really wasn't.

McGinn and the Hibs fans got their moment post match and that was the right time.

flash
24-08-2023, 07:15 AM
Just hope one of our "eye watering" clauses in his transfer deal is triggered if they win a trophy because they ain't gonna be far away winning this one.

lyonhibs
24-08-2023, 07:17 AM

Emery has treated us with respect throughout. He spoke well about us, put out his strongest 11, said he will do the same next week and they never really let up. Subbing McGinn solely so he could get an ovation would have been a bit patronising and I'm glad he continued to treat it as a competitive game even if the gulf in class meant it really wasn't.

McGinn and the Hibs fans got their moment post match and that was the right time.

I'll assume Martinez had a tweak or something, otherwise bringing on the sub goalie at half time had a hint of taking the piss about it.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 08:10 AM
I'll assume Martinez had a tweak or something, otherwise bringing on the sub goalie at half time had a hint of taking the piss about it.

Emery confirmed post match Martinez felt 'discomfort' in the 1st half and they are going to assess him when they get back down south.

Bringing on a guy with nearly 70 caps for Sweden isn't a bad sub mind you:greengrin

JimBHibees
24-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Emery confirmed post match Martinez felt 'discomfort' in the 1st half and they are going to assess him when they get back down south.

Bringing on a guy with nearly 70 caps for Sweden isn't a bad sub mind you:greengrin

Personally had to laugh when Tielemans came on given that guys quality.

ScottB
24-08-2023, 08:28 AM
I thought McGinn showed his respect by not scoring or assisting against us…

lyonhibs
24-08-2023, 08:53 AM

I had a chuckle at that too.

Green Man
24-08-2023, 08:59 AM

Same here. That substitution absolutely summed up the gulf in standards between Scottish and English football, he’s a higher quality player than any in Scotland and he was sitting on the bench.

McSwanky
24-08-2023, 09:15 AM

We noticed him feeling his leg quite bit both pre and during the match. Was strapped up as well. I don't think it's taking the p*** subbing a world cup winning keeper as a precaution when you're cruising at 3-0 up. Especially when the guy coming on is a rather decent option!

KWJ
24-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Yeah, was thinking about starting a thread on Emery. Great quotes and respect. I don't recall other English teams sending out full sides in these stages of European competitions. And those English clubs have only got stronger with every year.

They are well ahead all over the pitch but also off it. Emery has 4 Europa Leagues to his name yet joined Aston Villa when they were struggling in the Prem.

The manager pool we shop in is also night and day from there's sadly. As we'll possibly find out again soon.

Lago
24-08-2023, 09:36 AM
I thought McGinn showed his respect by not scoring or assisting against us…
Did his little chip to the back post not result in a easy goal for Watkins?

JeMeSouviens
24-08-2023, 09:38 AM
A great reception for him at the end where he went round the four stands to offer his appreciation.

He got the balance just right - it wasn’t “look at me now I’m a superstar” but more a dignified mutual appreciation at a place which he feels a strong bond.

The game needs more John McGinn’s. Could do with one ourselves in midfield!

He got it spot on as usual. Went to his own fans first then gave us a wee clap too. Exactly as it should be.

You'll all have seen it before but this wee piece just sums him up. Totally sound and a great player. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64907692

MrRobot
24-08-2023, 09:40 AM
Imagine being rattled cause fans booed a player that doesn’t play for us :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-08-2023, 09:46 AM

He got it spot on as usual. Went to his own fans first then gave us a wee clap too. Exactly as it should be.

You'll all have seen it before but this wee piece just sums him up. Totally sound and a great player. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64907692

McGinn is just such a refreshing change from so many EPL players public image now. The photos last night of him chatting to the Hibs mascots, getting photos taken and signing autographs sum him up, there seems no real ego there at all. I know there is context but compare that to the video of the Leeds players ignoring their fans or the Arsenal players barely glancing at the little girl mascot who was so obviously awestruck by them.

I always think Jack Grealish is the same. There was a video of him stopping to chat to a blind girl the other week, taking her hand and not giving a toss he left the President of UEFA waiting. I wonder if it's a coincidence they both play or played at Villa who seem a pretty sound club all round.

ManlyOz
24-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Imagine being rattled cause fans booed a player that doesn’t play for us :greengrin

Seems to be a really nice guy, even my Jambo mates like him 😁