PDA

View Full Version : Defence

at last 61
23-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Could be embarrassing,but a heavy defeat is maybe what we need, we cannot defend crosses we have all seen we have problems at the back but we still haven't solved it, obviously villa are far superior but the 3 goals have been so easy

Ron D Hibbie
23-08-2023, 05:39 PM
Could be embarrassing,but a heavy defeat is maybe what we need, we cannot defend crosses we have all seen we have problems at the back but we still haven't solved it, obviously villa are far superior but the 3 goals have been so easy

Would it not be an idea to try and stop the crosses.

1875Sean
23-08-2023, 05:39 PM
Miller needs to do better to try and stop theses crosses down the left

LunasBoots
23-08-2023, 05:41 PM
Villa did there homework, we can't defend crosses so they've crossed good balls into the box and we've struggled badly, all in all I'm not surprised, absolute gulf in quality between the two teams.

Daily Hibs
23-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Surely a good chunk of the revenue from both ties will be used to get a quality centre-half in to replace Hanlon.

easty
23-08-2023, 05:44 PM
Surely a good chunk of the revenue from both ties will be used to get a quality centre-half in to replace Hanlon.

Has he been worse than Fish tonight? Or even this season so far?

Nope.

Daily Hibs
23-08-2023, 05:45 PM
Would it not be an idea to try and stop the crosses.

Its the way theyre coached to allow the crosses in. I remember a young Hanlon first just letting the crosses go in at Killie away around 2008 - it's purely coaching.

Musselbound
23-08-2023, 05:46 PM
It's pretty obvious what Villa have pinpointed as our weakness with 3 fairly close range headers - albeit the first was a good one. It's not only about central defence. We can't defend as a team and maybe some questions about how we were set up to keep in the game. These are not new issues, just being really exposed against a team of this quality.

Daily Hibs

Nope.

So replace a signing we all wanted to happen at the start of the window and let Hanlon stay around longer?

at last 61
The window is still open so maybe a heavy defeat will spur the board to get the defence sorted, you can't defend when you're in front of the player

Steven79
23-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Surely a good chunk of the revenue from both ties will be used to get a quality centre-half in to replace Hanlon.He will still be in the team in 5 years time...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
23-08-2023, 05:48 PM

Miller has been giving his man far too much space out there.

overdrive
23-08-2023, 06:02 PM

Nope.

Both have been poor this season.

Since452
23-08-2023, 06:03 PM
Very poor. Get Rocky back in asap

SaulGoodman
23-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Why hasn’t Harbottle been given a chance?

The Modfather
23-08-2023, 06:13 PM

Nope.

We all talk about the deficiencies in defence and midfield, but then when any of the players are discussed individually a case not to replace them is made, or that they are no worse than player x, or they are the least of our problems, rarely a strong case that they are part of the solution.

To make us more than the sum of our parts, or improve certain parts of the team, there’s very few players who we shouldn’t actively be looking to replace.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2023, 06:16 PM
We have been outclassed all over the park, understandably, but we have shown flashes going forward.

As an entire unit the defence has struggled, not just as a 4 but as a team. There is no point in singling out individuals as it's the whole that is failing. Losing 4 goals (as it stands) tonight isn't the issue but it's the same goals that we concede regularly. We need to learn the lessons and make the changes or it's going to cost us all season. We can't be needing to score 2 or 3 every week just to get points on the board.

He's here!
23-08-2023, 06:27 PM
No point in claiming the defence have cost us the game. They struggle to defend against mediocre Scottish sides, let alone one a top outfit like Villa.

They're actually playing the best they can tonight.

Allant1981
23-08-2023, 06:31 PM
No point in claiming the defence have cost us the game. They struggle to defend against mediocre Scottish sides, let alone one a top outfit like Villa.

They're actually playing the best they can tonight.

Nah, the defending for every goal was terrible

Paul1642
23-08-2023, 06:35 PM
I still really hope to see a left back signed before the window closes and Rocky and/or Harbottle given a run of games now.

Tonight was never going be be anything other than a Villa win so I’m not too hung up on the result but the poor defending is still frustrating and has been that way every game this season.

mcfly
23-08-2023, 06:37 PM
Gulf in class is huge but far too easy

Defence is horrendous. Every team knows we can’t defend a cross ball and we lose far too many goals.

The Captain....
23-08-2023, 06:38 PM
We need 2 new fullbacks, a goalkeeper and a centre half
A decent defensive midfielder as well who can actually pass a ball 5 yards to a teammate if I'm being greedy.

I'd say we needed all that before the season ended last year but for some reason we continue to sign players who can't displace the ones who are at the root of the problems.

There is absolutely no backbone to this team.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

ian cruise
23-08-2023, 06:40 PM
Defending this season has been chronic but midfield, LB & RB are hanging Fish and Hanlon out to dry. Need to defend as a team rather than let opposition waltz through is and expect two central defenders to stop everything chucked at them.

truehibernian
23-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Liverpool pumped The Rangers highlighting the complete gulf in class, that I have no issue with.

Where I have issues are with playing 2 of a back 4 with a combined age of 68 who can’t now cut it at SPFL level let alone Europe. That’s a combination of sentiment and very poor scouting and recruitment.

It’s modern day football, we need younger, fitter, stronger defenders. We simply don’t have them, and relying on half a back line from 2016 is bewildering now.

As for midfield - since Heckingbottom and those after it’s been a stream of mediocre, similar players who neither excite, create, lead, or drive the team forward. The irony is we were spoiled in the Scottish Championship having the likes of Marvin, KT, Dylan, Scotty and John. Every manager since hasn’t addressed the chronic imbalance and lack of leadership in that area of the pitch.

We’ll struggle in the league this year with this manager and this recruitment team. And sentiment is clouding proper judgement too.

My heart sinks when I read the team sheet now, seeing Paul and Lewy as first picks - not because they’re not genuinely top guys and professionals, but because it highlights the complete lack of modern day football insight and judgement. It’s sentiment and heart rules head stuff.

hibee1875
23-08-2023, 06:50 PM

It wasn’t millers man it was Boyles. Boyle was double teaming on McGinn. Digne was the free man.

It was clearly a tactic to try and defend the cross rather than getting sliced through the middle

Scorrie
23-08-2023, 06:51 PM
Liverpool pumped The Rangers highlighting the complete gulf in class, that I have no issue with.

Where I have issues are with playing 2 of a back 4 with a combined age of 68 who can’t now cut it at SPFL level let alone Europe. That’s a combination of sentiment and very poor scouting and recruitment.

It’s modern day football, we need younger, fitter, stronger defenders. We simply don’t have them, and relying on half a back line from 2016 is bewildering now.

As for midfield - since Heckingbottom and those after it’s been a stream of mediocre, similar players who neither excite, create, lead, or drive the team forward. The irony is we were spoiled in the Scottish Championship having the likes of Marvin, KT, Dylan, Scotty and John. Every manager since hasn’t addressed the chronic imbalance and lack of leadership in that area of the pitch.

We’ll struggle in the league this year with this manager and this recruitment team. And sentiment is clouding proper judgement too.

My heart sinks when I read the team sheet now, seeing Paul and Lewy as first picks - not because they’re not genuinely top guys and professionals, but because it highlights the complete lack of modern day football insight and judgement. It’s sentiment and heart rules head stuff.

I agree and we’ve had several transfer windows to address and we sign players that for whatever reason, cant replace the ones currently starting.

Iain G
23-08-2023, 06:51 PM
We need 2 new fullbacks, a goalkeeper and a centre half
A decent defensive midfielder as well who can actually pass a ball 5 yards to a teammate if I'm being greedy.

I'd say we needed all that before the season ended last year but for some reason we continue to sign players who can't displace the ones who are at the root of the problems.

There is absolutely no backbone to this team.

In all fairness to Jeggo tonight, his passing was pretty decent compared to some of his team mates

Iain G
23-08-2023, 06:52 PM
It wasn’t millers man it was Boyles. Boyle was double teaming on McGinn. Digne was the free man.

It was clearly a tactic to try and defend the cross rather than getting sliced through the middle

But we all know we can't defend crosses!

Forza Fred
Defending this season has been chronic but midfield, LB & RB are hanging Fish and Hanlon out to dry. Need to defend as a team rather than let opposition waltz through is and expect two central defenders to stop everything chucked at them.

To be honest though, I thought they weren’t so much left out to dry tonight, but were just unable to defend pretty standard balls into the box.

Every team will get some balls into the box at some stage, and we really need to win a higher proportion of them than we do.

MikeyS

A truly terrifying thought!

Soldiersteve
23-08-2023, 06:55 PM
We have been outclassed all over the park, understandably, but we have shown flashes going forward.

As an entire unit the defence has struggled, not just as a 4 but as a team. There is no point in singling out individuals as it's the whole that is failing. Losing 4 goals (as it stands) tonight isn't the issue but it's the same goals that we concede regularly. We need to learn the lessons and make the changes or it's going to cost us all season. We can't be needing to score 2 or 3 every week just to get points on the board.
Great summary.:aok:

Brightside
23-08-2023, 06:56 PM
We can’t have a go at any player tonight. It’s a different world

Rumble de Thump
23-08-2023, 06:57 PM
We will be rubbish defensively until Hanlon and Stevenson are replaced with better. And it really shouldn't be difficult to replace them with better.

He's here!
23-08-2023, 06:58 PM
Nah, the defending for every goal was terrible

Don't agree. Watkins is out and out class and the deliveries into the box were pinpoint. I'm just saying there's no way our defenders were ever going to keep those goals out. They tried their hardest but they're just not anywhere near the level required to keep a team like Villa out when they concede 3 at home to St Mirren.

The Captain....
23-08-2023, 06:59 PM
In all fairness to Jeggo tonight, his passing was pretty decent compared to some of his team matesThat's fair tbh..I actually don't mind Jeggo but if you want to improve its an area we need to strengthen. I dont think we will tho with JDH and Jeggo in the squad.

hhibs
23-08-2023, 07:02 PM
It's pretty obvious what Villa have pinpointed as our weakness with 3 fairly close range headers - albeit the first was a good one. It's not only about central defence. We can't defend as a team and maybe some questions about how we were set up to keep in the game. These are not new issues, just being really exposed against a team of this quality.

Let us be honest,they really did not need to see our past games,anybody reading this site can see it is ONE of our dreadful weakness.

And far weaker,.poorer teams than Villa keep exploiting it.

Alex Trager
23-08-2023, 07:02 PM

This is it. Spot on.

GreenGray
23-08-2023, 07:03 PM
With all due respect premier league opposition or not if we don’t sign a quality left back who can come in and start we are ****ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chorley Hibee
23-08-2023, 07:05 PM

This in absolute spades!

Cat Stanton
23-08-2023, 07:06 PM

Well said. You can see it, I can see it, others can see it, but unfortunately a completely incompetent manager cannot.

Iain G
23-08-2023, 07:12 PM
How about we try Doidge at the back, the new Dirk Lehmann maybe? Can't be any worse and he can head a ball.

lucky
23-08-2023, 07:16 PM

Miller was not at fault it was Boyle who failed to track his man back on two occasions that cost the 1st and 3rd goals

1875Sean
23-08-2023, 07:36 PM
Miller was not at fault it was Boyle who failed to track his man back on two occasions that cost the 1st and 3rd goals

It was pretty clear they were targeting our right hand side

Cat Stanton
23-08-2023, 07:43 PM
How about we try Doidge at the back, the new Dirk Lehmann maybe? Can't be any worse and he can head a ball.

Maybe we try him as manager? He couldn't be any worse at that either.

Onion
23-08-2023, 07:44 PM

He and Boyle gave Digne the keys to Easter Road tonight.

In what way did LJ and the Hibs team think this would turn out well ? Okay, we were beaten all over the park, but the amount of space and time we afforded this top player deserved to be punished.

percy veer
23-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Livi coach was there tonight , I wonder what side they will target on sat?

Iain G
23-08-2023, 07:47 PM
He and Boyle gave Digne the keys to Easter Road tonight.

In what way did LJ and the Hibs team think this would turn out well ? Okay, we were beaten all over the park, but the amount of space and time we afforded this top player deserved to be punished.

We were playing very narrow as a back 4, which would maybe suggest that Obita and Boyle should tuck in and make it a 6, covering the full backs while we made it compact in the middle so they would find it hard to play through us? That could have worked better, but we are not sure if that was the plan or Boyle was being asked to stay forward as an out ball?

Zazu62
23-08-2023, 11:03 PM
Everytime a goal goes in Marshall hits his fists together or slaps his hands together you never see a goalkeeper really do that? Or is it just me

WestStandWillie
24-08-2023, 07:51 AM

Nope.

As bad as each other. I couldn't understand the frothing/creaming/clamber to sign Fish. He was awrite last season, nothing special. I'd like to see a real vocal leader/dirty ******* at the back. Toughen it up.

Steve88
24-08-2023, 08:36 AM
The absolute LOVE IN when Hanlon got made captain at the start of the season was hilarious. The guy needs dropped and has needed replaced 2 seasons ago - You could see this coming.

Folk on here when he got made captain should of been saying "hold on, you're intending to play him every game this season..???"

Rocky has a terrible image portrayed on hm by many fans despite the guy guy being head & shoulders above Porto last season in performance until injured.

The only reason Porto got away with it was because he was "Hibs through and through.. etc etc and all that garbage"

And before anyone says "Aye, but how did Rocky perform in the 1st leg in Andora". If you're using that for the basis of your defence for a guy who just returned from a long term injury last season, then the entire starting 11 from that game shouldn't be in the squad

WestStandWillie
24-08-2023, 08:43 AM
The absolute LOVE IN when Hanlon got made captain at the start of the season was hilarious. The guy needs dropped and has needed replaced 2 seasons ago - You could see this coming.

Folk on here when he got made captain should of been saying "hold on, you're intending to play him every game this season..???"

Rocky has a terrible image portrayed on hm by many fans despite the guy guy being head & shoulders above Porto last season in performance until injured.

The only reason Porto got away with it was because he was "Hibs through and through.. etc etc and all that garbage"

And before anyone says "Aye, but how did Rocky perform in the 1st leg in Andora". If you're using that for the basis of your defence for a guy who just returned from a long term injury last season, then the entire starting 11 from that game shouldn't be in the squad

Rocky and Harbottle should be starting on Saturday. Anything else is criminal from the manager.

Victor
24-08-2023, 08:44 AM

Agree. In his brief cameo he managed to get in front of the attacker and despite being fouled nullified the attack.

delbert
24-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Its the way theyre coached to allow the crosses in. I remember a young Hanlon first just letting the crosses go in at Killie away around 2008 - it's purely coaching.

Utter garbage, you’re seriously suggesting it’s nothing to do with ability or with having the game intelligence to do the right thing if, as you suggest, you’re being coached wrongly

Steve88
24-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Agree. In his brief cameo he managed to get in front of the attacker and despite being fouled nullified the attack.

That was a great interception.

You wonder how Rocky's physicality might have edged out watkins for the 1st goal, and how that might impact the dynamics of the game going forward..

Carheenlea
24-08-2023, 08:47 AM
Everytime a goal goes in Marshall hits his fists together or slaps his hands together you never see a goalkeeper really do that? Or is it just me

His hands/fists must get be in terrible condition.

Steve88
24-08-2023, 08:47 AM
Rocky and Harbottle should be starting on Saturday. Anything else is criminal from the manager.

Harbottle very impressive.

Although it's all about levels. Can he be that reassuring against a premiership level club..

Unlike Campbell who got found out against Raith

Alfred E Newman
24-08-2023, 08:58 AM
In our last 21 competitive fixtures against various levels of opposition we have managed 2 clean sheets!
I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at the central defenders more the weakness at full back and the lack of any competitive midfield in front of them.
Last night we more or less played the first half without a midfield which was suicidal against a team of Villa's quality.

erin go bragh
24-08-2023, 09:15 AM
We desperately need a big no nonsense centre half that can defend crosses into the box.

Mainstandman
24-08-2023, 09:19 AM
We are so narrow on that right hand side, I think Miller is getting better but is being asked (by the manager) to be so far inside it creates room there. That being said he is further out than Cadden ever was! I'd like to see him move out to the winger quicker though when the pass to them is made. Last night felt that Boyle was caught between two options, covering McGinn in Middle and to right of Miller on the right. Lewis' positioning is better but he's not good enough any more, so people just go past him.

We are also very slow to anticipate movement and close it down, this allows to much time and space for the opposition to do something.

GreenGray
24-08-2023, 09:21 AM

Hanlon was brilliant last season.

Looking at it now perhaps he shouldn’t have been made captain this year as it didn’t work out last time and he performed well without the armband last year.

As soon as he becomes captain he becomes a scapegoat for fans and one of the main targets of criticism.

He quietly went about his business last year and arguably could have won player of the year.

worcesterhibby
24-08-2023, 09:48 AM
With all due respect premier league opposition or not if we don’t sign a quality left back who can come in and start we are ****ed

Every goal they scored in open play was a cross from the left..our issue last night was our right back. Yes Stevenson got done by a wonderful bit of trickery in the box as he tried to block a shot and gave away a penalty. but he'd blocked at least three goal bound shots before that. He also put in at least one excellent cross last night and did his best to get forward and overlap. Left back was not the problem last night, it was the complete lack of defending at right back and the inability to win headers in the centre of the box.

We should have played with three centre backs in a 5 at the back, which would have meant Lewis Miller could have been far less narrow and actually stopped crosses, we would also have had another big tall defender in the middle to win headers, when he failed to stop a cross. Three up front was madness, they never got the ball anyway, wasted jerseys most of the game. 5-4-1 would have given us a chance of only going to Villa one or two goals down.

McGruber
24-08-2023, 01:24 PM
Every goal they scored in open play was a cross from the left..our issue last night was our right back. Yes Stevenson got done by a wonderful bit of trickery in the box as he tried to block a shot and gave away a penalty. but he'd blocked at least three goal bound shots before that. He also put in at least one excellent cross last night and did his best to get forward and overlap. Left back was not the problem last night, it was the complete lack of defending at right back and the inability to win headers in the centre of the box.

We should have played with three centre backs in a 5 at the back, which would have meant Lewis Miller could have been far less narrow and actually stopped crosses, we would also have had another big tall defender in the middle to win headers, when he failed to stop a cross. Three up front was madness, they never got the ball anyway, wasted jerseys most of the game. 5-4-1 would have given us a chance of only going to Villa one or two goals down.

I think you are right, we should have went 3 centre backs with Miller and Obita wider. Like you say, extra height in the centre and less exposed to ball over the top. Ultimately though it wouldn't have mattered that much, they were just too good for us

Tha Cabbage Kid
24-08-2023, 02:01 PM
Why hasn’t Harbottle been given a chance?

I hope now is the time for rocky and harbottle to come in. They can't be any worse but it got me thinking, is it LJ's tactics that causing our defenders all their problems?

Although admittedly we have been having defensive problems since before him.

The goals we conceded last night were really poor and I'm sure it wasn't just about the quality of the opposition.
Miller Boyle confusion
Campbell loosing his man
Lewy tripping his man even though there was cover behind him

tonyrougier123
24-08-2023, 11:50 PM
The defence is a cheap to run section of the park for us,you’ve got three veterans and two youngsters. And it shows up all the worst parts of Lee Johnson’s inability to set a team up to defend.
Only quality and confidence will fix that,it’s wether McDermott has identified and convinced the board it needs to be done pronto.