PDA

View Full Version : Get up. Stand up.

sadtom
23-08-2023, 07:17 AM
Being brought up watching Hibs throughout the 70’s and 80’s I always preferred standing. In this modern era as I got older I learned to enjoy sitting on my farter.
However the one thing that always struck me about that day in May was when we arrived at Hampden and the game kicked off, from what I could see everyone stood the whole game. It wasn’t planned or organised. I don’t know if it was ‘defiance’ or ‘belief’ after all the years of misery. It seemed to get us all more involved and invested in the events on the pitch. To this day I firmly believe that it helped us finally to get it in the bag.
I would love to see us replicate that tonight.
As Mr Rotten once said “Get off your @r$e!”

The richest team usually wins and given our respective resources we shouldn’t stand a chance.
But we shouldn’t have beat Barcelona.
We shouldn’t have beat Real Madrid.
We shouldn’t have put 5 past Dino Zoff.
We shouldn’t have been one of only 3 British clubs at the time to overturn a 3 goal 1st leg deficit.
We shouldn’t have scudded Sporting Lisbon 6-1.
We shouldn’t have ran Leeds and Liverpool as close as we did (both of whom were better than Villa).
Even in recent years we shouldn’t have won away at Bronby. If it wasn’t for some laddie (whatever happened to him? :wink:) missing his penalty we should have got through.

I absolutely believe that both the weegie clubs are bigger and on average over my 57 years, better than, or at the very least on a par with Villa.
Do we pee our panties at the prospect of playing them? No (well…:wink:). That’s how we should view this tie.
No fear! Treat this like a game against the uglies. Get torn in!

We are playing against a team from a country and a league that has a hugely over inflated opinion of itself. Which holds a massively disrespectful view (based on arrogance and ignorance) of our country/league.

Never forget.
We have played more games in Europe than Villa.
Won more games in Europe than Villa.
Scored more goals in Europe than Villa.

Yes. We shouldn’t win. But since when have ‘chippy Hibs’ ever done ‘shouldn’t’?!

They are not as good as we are constantly told they are.
We are not as bad as we are constantly told we are.

Let’s go out there with belief and a swagger, with fire in our hearts, with ice in our veins and takes those c**** into the f****** trenches!
As one our greatest sons once said…LET US RISE!
GGTTH

Greenbeard
23-08-2023, 07:37 AM
Being brought up watching Hibs throughout the 70’s and 80’s I always preferred standing. In this modern era as I got older I learned to enjoy sitting on my farter.
However the one thing that always struck me about that day in May was when we arrived at Hampden and the game kicked off, from what I could see everyone stood the whole game. It wasn’t planned or organised. I don’t know if it was ‘defiance’ or ‘belief’ after all the years of misery. It seemed to get us all more involved and invested in the events on the pitch. To this day I firmly believe that it helped us finally to get it in the bag.

The richest team usually wins and given our respective resources we shouldn’t stand a chance.
We shouldn’t have been one of only 3 British clubs at the time to overturn a 3 goal 1st leg deficit.
We shouldn’t have ran Leeds and Liverpool as close as we did (both of whom were better than Villa).
Even in recent years we shouldn’t have won away at Bronby. If it wasn’t for some laddie (whatever happened to him? :wink:) missing his penalty we should have got through.

I absolutely believe that both the weegie clubs are bigger and on average over my 57 years, better than, or at the very least on a par with Villa.
Do we pee our panties at the prospect of playing them? No (well…:wink:). That’s how we should view this tie.

We are playing against a team from a country and a league that has a hugely over inflated opinion of itself. Which holds a massively disrespectful view (based on arrogance and ignorance) of our country/league.

Never forget.

Yes. We shouldn’t win. But since when have ‘chippy Hibs’ ever done ‘shouldn’t’?!

Let’s go out there with belief and a swagger, with fire in our hearts, with ice in our veins and takes those c**** into the f****** trenches!
GGTTH
Hey Lee. Here's your pre-match talk.

leith lynx
23-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Never forget.

GGTTH

Time for Heroes mk2

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Lol we’re gonny get pumped.

*one for the longer serving board members there*

lyonhibs
23-08-2023, 10:33 AM

😂😂😂😂

h1bs4life
23-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Thought this was about a late 70's hit probably apt for tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbedMMj-YVo

:flag:

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-08-2023, 10:47 AM
Hey Lee. Here's your pre-match talk.

Wouldn’t think Mr Johnson will be quoting James Connolly in a team talk, but it’d get me running through a brick wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
23-08-2023, 11:00 AM

Ahh, the good old days...