PDA

View Full Version : Kyle magennis

berwickhibee
20-08-2023, 03:42 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Unreal to watch him playing every week, when he was always injured at Hibs.

Don't know the facts but he was always a good enough player for Hibs, how can Killie get him on the pitch??

Frustrating.

LewysGot2
20-08-2023, 03:43 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Don't know the facts but he was always a good enough player for Hibs, how can Killie get him on the pitch??

Frustrating.

I don't know as I'm on my way home from ER. Has he scored?

berwickhibee
20-08-2023, 03:43 PM
I don't know as I'm on my way home from ER. Has he scored?

No,but he's fit and playing well

LewysGot2
20-08-2023, 03:44 PM
No,but he's fit and playing well

It'll never last 😉

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-08-2023, 03:45 PM
If he stays fit, then yes. However, he could easily get injured next week and not be seen again for the rest of the season, hence the reason we got rid.

HendoDelivered
20-08-2023, 03:45 PM
Undoubted baller but far too injury prone. If he was constantly fit he would be starting every week for us still

Callum_62
20-08-2023, 03:48 PM
I blame the medical team

Someone has to say it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
20-08-2023, 03:50 PM
I blame the medical team

Someone has to say it.

I thought it was LJs interviews fault?

erin go bragh
20-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Poor man’s Joe Newall 🤣

Ozyhibby
20-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Bigger mistake not asking McInnes to be our manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Far too early. Needs to last the season before we regret it

Since452
20-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Yes

Lago
20-08-2023, 03:59 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Frustrating.
Too early to say.

Onceinawhile
20-08-2023, 04:01 PM
Had a couple of these runs for us.

Think he's only played 5/6 games.

When he gets to 20-25 in a row we can think about it.

bordergreen
20-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Too early to say.

Agreed, too early. He is playing well for them though. Just our luck. Release him and he gets over his injuries. Let’s see. I was in the move on camp…

Irish_Steve
20-08-2023, 04:03 PM
I think it was, whilst he was fit, he was a great player for us but the operative phrase of that sentence is, while he was fit.

WillowbraeHibby
20-08-2023, 04:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:agree:

Springbank
20-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Prediction

McGennis helps Killie knock Hearts out in Sept

McGennis picks up innocuous injury in October, but doesn't play again til April

Hibs knock Killie out in the semi, playing the winner of Rangers/Aberdeen in the final

Cat Stanton
20-08-2023, 04:31 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Hibee Mac
20-08-2023, 04:40 PM
He'll be injured in a couple of weeks, was the right decision to let him go.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

hibstag
20-08-2023, 04:46 PM
Far too early. Needs to last the season before we regret it

Starting Four or five games in a row would be a start for him,

raeburnhibs
20-08-2023, 05:14 PM
Exactly.

He's a good manager, certainly, *****y plastic pitch is a help though

Cat Stanton
20-08-2023, 05:31 PM
He's a good manager, certainly, *****y plastic pitch is a help though

Agreed - a disgrace of a pitch.

However, McInnes was available when we were looking for a new manager. So also a disgrace that the club didn't seriously consider him (which according to accounts at the time, we didn't).

JohnM1875
20-08-2023, 05:52 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Frustrating.

Maybe doesn't have the stones to make it at a team like Hibs when the pressure is on every game? Won't be the first player.

No one will convince me if he goes on injury free run this season that it isn't anything else.

random sub
20-08-2023, 05:53 PM
We will be unlucky if he does get a run of games. Tbh he is the sort of player we need in midfield but it was like a joke how we couldn’t rely on him at all

green day
20-08-2023, 05:58 PM
We can hardly say it was a mistake to release him when he spent more time on the treatment table than the pitch with us.

We couldn't trust him.

Hope for his sake he goes on to have a good career, but removing him was 100% the right thing to do.

random sub
20-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Given we probably need a bit more ball playing athleticism (aka a big guy that can mix it but also pass a ball) I can’t agree that it’s a 100 percent right thing to do. I think we might well regret letting him go

Pretty Boy
20-08-2023, 06:05 PM
Even if Magennis does manage 35+ games this season we still made the correct decision. He had contributed nowhere near enough in the time he had been here and there is no way we could have risked a 3rd summer putting all our eggs in the Magennis basket.

DH1875
Difference is, if he was still at Hibs he'd be injured.

Baldy Foghorn
Agreed - a disgrace of a pitch.

However, McInnes was available when we were looking for a new manager. So also a disgrace that the club didn't seriously consider him (which according to accounts at the time, we didn't).

Not sure of it being a disgrace we never spoke to him. Maybe didn't fit our philosophy?

Stubbsy90+2
20-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Even if Magennis does manage 35+ games this season we still made the correct decision. He had contributed nowhere near enough in the time he had been here and there is no way we could have risked a 3rd summer putting all our eggs in the Magennis basket.

:agree:

Eyrie
20-08-2023, 06:15 PM
The only mistake we've made is not finding a similar style of player to provide what we hoped we'd signed.

Chorley Hibee
20-08-2023, 06:16 PM
The only mistake we've made is not finding a similar style of player to provide what we hoped we'd signed.

Correct.

Spike Mandela
20-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Frustrating.

They’re 3 or 4 games into the season. Let’s judge at the end of the season. Always liked him though.

Baader
20-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Really like Magennis and rate him as a player but no question the club had to get rid. His injury record at Hibs was appalling and value for money he must be one of the worst signings ever for us (despite often being good when he did feature.)

Not his fault, not the clubs fault just really unfortunate it didn't work out. But we had to get him off the payroll. Lets see how many games he's managed at the end of the season. Wouldn't think playing on a plastic pitch regularly will help him at all.

Onceinawhile
20-08-2023, 08:36 PM
Prediction

McGennis helps Killie knock Hearts out in Sept

McGennis picks up innocuous injury in October, but doesn't play again til April

Hibs knock Killie out in the semi, playing the winner of Rangers/Aberdeen in the final

*beating the winner of rangers/Aberdeen in the final.

The Spaceman
20-08-2023, 08:50 PM
Fantastic player and would start for us every week if he was fit. That’s his issue though, he’s made of glass.

J-C
21-08-2023, 08:01 AM
I remember Lennon accusing McGeouch of his injuries being all in his head and when his contract was due up he was regularly fit and playing well. Now I'm not saying Lennon was correct but I wonder if Magennis's injuries were mostly in his head, you know what it's like feel a tiny twinge it's really nothing but he thinks oh no here we go again. Just a theory he looks OK now.

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2023, 08:26 AM
I remember Lennon accusing McGeouch of his injuries being all in his head and when his contract was due up he was regularly fit and playing well. Now I'm not saying Lennon was correct but I wonder if Magennis's injuries were mostly in his head, you know what it's like feel a tiny twinge it's really nothing but he thinks oh no here we go again. Just a theory he looks OK now.

And Lennon lost McGeouch for nothing because of that nonsense.

Kyle had multiple surgeries didn't he?. I don't think that was in his head

Heisenberg
21-08-2023, 08:39 AM

Yeah he had another surgery quite close to the end of last season I’m sure. That might’ve sorted him out for all we know.

Ryan91
21-08-2023, 08:56 AM
Not sure of it being a disgrace we never spoke to him. Maybe didn't fit our philosophy?

McInnes managed teams have long been known for playing absolutely terrible football, with emphasis on kicking everything that moves that isn't in your teams colours.

Absolutely not what I'd want from a Hibs manager.

Also worth noting that managers who have good spells at other clubs in Scotland haven't always worked out for us. We all cried out for Terry Butcher after Fenlon left because he had Inverness punching well above their weight, turns out he was a complete disaster and his style didn't work at Hibs, what's to say that wouldn't be the same with McInnes?

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Can tell some people have never actually googled turgid.

matty_f
21-08-2023, 09:15 AM

You’re spot on with this post, couldn’t agree more.

easty
21-08-2023, 09:40 AM
Definitely the correct decision to get rid when the opportunity arose.

He’s a good player, but even when he wasn’t out injured he was rarely someone you thought played brilliant. Had a few really good games, and a lot of distinctly average ones.

Moving him on should have meant we brought in a better player to do the job we wanted him to do…instead we didn’t address that at all, and still we’re short a quality attacking midfielder.

Stubbsy90+2
21-08-2023, 10:10 AM
Definitely the correct decision to get rid when the opportunity arose.

He’s a good player, but even when he wasn’t out injured he was rarely someone you thought played brilliant. Had a few really good games, and a lot of distinctly average ones.

Moving him on should have meant we brought in a better player to do the job we wanted him to do…instead we didn’t address that at all, and still we’re short a quality attacking midfielder.

He certainly wasn’t someone who was as good as people make him out to be imo.

He had a good wee run at the start of 21/22. Other than that, he was varying levels of poor-average imo.

Tha Cabbage Kid
21-08-2023, 10:31 AM
knowing our luck he will be in the scotland squad by the end of the season

Diclonius
21-08-2023, 11:59 AM
His replacement suffers a freak horrific injury putting him out for at least half the season whilst the perpetually injured (while here) Magennis is on fire for Kilmarnock.

You have to laugh, really.

neil7908
21-08-2023, 02:23 PM

I would be questioning though why he couldn't string a run of games with us, only to move somewhere else and do it straight away. Big if at this stage but I do often feel like we seem to pick up a hell of a lot of injuries.

JimBHibees
21-08-2023, 02:28 PM
His replacement suffers a freak horrific injury putting him out for at least half the season whilst the perpetually injured (while here) Magennis is on fire for Kilmarnock.

You have to laugh, really.

Yep nightmare

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2023, 02:30 PM
McInnes managed teams have long been known for playing absolutely terrible football, with emphasis on kicking everything that moves that isn't in your teams colours.

Absolutely not what I'd want from a Hibs manager.

Also worth noting that managers who have good spells at other clubs in Scotland haven't always worked out for us. We all cried out for Terry Butcher after Fenlon left because he had Inverness punching well above their weight, turns out he was a complete disaster and his style didn't work at Hibs, what's to say that wouldn't be the same with McInnes?

That is just nonsence.

JimBHibees
21-08-2023, 02:31 PM

Pretty much this

Stubbsy90+2
21-08-2023, 02:32 PM
That is just nonsence.

72 point seasons, average amount of goals over about 7 seasons that almost matches our 17/18 season where we were an outstanding attacking team.

It’s absolute nonsense. He was sacked when it all fell apart at the end. He absolutely wasn’t playing terrible football the rest of his tenure, they had some exceptional attacking players and scored a barrel load.

Blaster
21-08-2023, 02:37 PM
That is just nonsence.

Spot on. Just cause he did it successfully against us doesn’t mean they played like that every week.

hibsforeurope
21-08-2023, 02:47 PM
Have we made a mistake??

Frustrating.

Absolutely, even a less thn half fit magennis would contribute more than Henderson and taveres put together.

We should have used the money spent paying magennis off to get rid of the two above and too a chance in Kyle.

jacomo
21-08-2023, 03:23 PM
It will be absolutely infuriating if he’s now fit and injury free. We put a lot of faith in the boy and gave him a big contract - no doubt a pay off to leave too.

cabbageandribs1875
21-08-2023, 03:28 PM
the club will obviously know what his long term fitness/injuries could possibly be, i just thought it odd at the time we finally nursed him back to what appears full fitness then got rid. time will tell if we got it right, or not

21-08-2023, 03:28 PM

Correct, it was his knee. 😀

Cat Stanton
21-08-2023, 04:32 PM

Philosophy in relation to what - playing style? Not sure the man they appointed fits that, given all he does is hoofball.

Cat Stanton
30-09-2023, 07:04 PM
Taken off injured today (after scoring an own goal).

Onceinawhile
30-09-2023, 07:19 PM
Taken off injured today (after scoring an own goal).

And the injury came from fouling someone after his own short passback.

Nightmare for him.

B.H.F.C
30-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Injured after a handful of games is fairly typical for him.

Dashing Bob S
30-09-2023, 07:40 PM
Feel sorry for him. A talented player but he’s never going to reach anything like his potential with his fitness record.

I’m glad we didn’t persevere but there’s nothing here remotely worth gloating about.

A Hi-Bee
30-09-2023, 07:41 PM

It is a shame for him as he can be a very good player when fit, must be pretty soul destroying for the lad as well, so I wish him all the best, just sorry it never worked out at Hibs.

Hibee Mac
30-09-2023, 07:45 PM
Absolutely inevitable with that lad, it's a shame for him but from Hibs' perspective we are well rid of him.

PHeffernan
01-10-2023, 12:54 AM

More than a handful of games. Magennis has played 13 games for Kilmarnock this season.
Coincidentally the same number of games he played for Hibs in each of the last 2 season.

B.H.F.C
01-10-2023, 09:13 AM
More than a handful of games. Magennis has played 13 games for Kilmarnock this season.
Coincidentally the same number of games he played for Hibs in each of the last 2 season.

It’s no really that much more. 900 minutes of football he’s managed before he’s out again. Hamstring as well so he’ll probably be in and out and always be a couple of weeks away as he was with us. Shame for him, his body just can’t cope with playing for any sustained period of time.

Since452
01-10-2023, 09:15 AM
Potentially a tremendous career ruined by injuries. Shame. Hopefully not a bad one.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2023, 09:42 AM
Wish the boy all the best

Played well against us could have done with him in our midfield that second half

Malthibby
01-10-2023, 11:51 AM
Always liked him, damn shame his body's letting him down.
Shows how hard it is to 'be all you can be,' talent's not enough on it's own, Scotty A. being another obvious example.

SChibs
01-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Players like Magennis are the reason I cant dislike others who follow the money in football. You could be one bad injury away from never or barely ever playing again so it's not unwise to take the best offer whilst it is there

Cat Stanton
07-10-2023, 07:13 PM
See he's out for 8-10 weeks with a bad hamstring tear.

Carheenlea
07-10-2023, 07:17 PM
See he's out for 8-10 weeks with a bad hamstring tear.

Fair play to him for continuing to try to ply his trade.

Those of lesser heart (and talent) would have thrown the towel in long ago.

1van Sprou7e
08-10-2023, 10:52 AM
Such a shame, think he would be out best player if not for his injury problems

greenlex
08-10-2023, 10:53 AM

You do know he’s not our player right?

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2023, 10:56 AM

If Newell, Boyle, Vente, Miller and Youan retired, sure.

Since90+2
08-10-2023, 10:57 AM

He's certainly a talented player. Whether or not he'd be a better player than Boyle for example is debatable.

Billy Whizz
08-10-2023, 10:58 AM
He's certainly a talented player. Whether or not he'd be a better player than Boyle for example is debatable.

McInnes says he’s been the heartbeat of their team this season

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2023, 11:00 AM

The heartbeat of a team with 1 win in 8 games.

08-10-2023, 11:16 AM

An irregular heartbeat. 🤔

CapitalGreen
08-10-2023, 11:38 AM
You do know he’s not our player right?

He would have still been our player if not for his injury problems.

Donegal Hibby
08-10-2023, 11:53 AM

I've watched killie a few times and I can see why McInnes said that as in most games he's been one of their best players, thought in the defeat to hertz in the cup he was excellent . Very good footballer who's been extremely unlucky with injuries. Wish the guy a speedy recovery.

Hibee Mac
08-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Sorry but Kyle Mageniss' ability gets massively overstated by some of our support. Putting aside his glaring issue of staying fit longer than 10 games, he must have had about 5/6 good games for us?

That's probably a small percentage of the total games he played for us, even with his injuries. Don't forget he must have had a good number of games under Jack Ross where he was absolutely anonymous.

I find it very difficult to believe he'd be our best player. Feel bad for the guy and his injury problems, but there's definitely some revisionism or something going on when folk say how amazing he is.

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2023, 09:02 PM
Sorry but Kyle Mageniss' ability gets massively overstated by some of our support. Putting aside his glaring issue of staying fit longer than 10 games, he must have had about 5/6 good games for us?

That's probably a small percentage of the total games he played for us, even with his injuries. Don't forget he must have had a good number of games under Jack Ross where he was absolutely anonymous.

I find it very difficult to believe he'd be our best player. Feel bad for the guy and his injury problems, but there's definitely some revisionism or something going on when folk say how amazing he is.

He was never better than Joe Newell, he just scored the odd goal which massively exaggerated his ability imo. He was good, but never our best player.

Goals seen to do that for midfielders here. People overlook huge flaws in Campbells game because he scores. Campbell is fine, deserves everything he gets because he works very hard, but his footballing ability needs to improve.

tamig
08-10-2023, 09:32 PM

Jack Ross played Magennis out of position when he first came into the team. We never saw the best of him until he was moved more central. He had a great start to the 21/22 season and looked like he’d really motor on until the injuries arrived again. Don’t think there’s any revisionism going on at all.

JohnM1875
08-10-2023, 09:55 PM

Correct. Hugely overrated. He started a season well and scored a few goals. Other than that he was bang average at best.

Chip shop Joe
08-10-2023, 10:06 PM
I know that I have joked before about Joe (or his agent) being on this forum but as the days go on I am becoming more and more certain😃.

Donegal Hibby
08-10-2023, 10:34 PM
He was never better than Joe Newell, he just scored the odd goal which massively exaggerated his ability imo. He was good, but never our best player.

Goals seen to do that for midfielders here. People overlook huge flaws in Campbells game because he scores. Campbell is fine, deserves everything he gets because he works very hard, but his footballing ability needs to improve.

We will never know how good magennis could have been as sadly his career has been plagued with injuries though anytime I seen him he looked a player . Different type of Midfielder to Newell though .

Goalscoring midfielders are popular and not just on here , there hard to get !. As to Campbells flaws yes he has some though all our Midfielders have some sort of flaw in there game imo , yesterday i wondered were our Midfield was in the first half of our game with hertz :dunno:

Stubbsy90+2
09-10-2023, 06:55 AM

Agree. He had more poor games at Hibs than he had good games.

J-C
09-10-2023, 07:38 AM
He had just come back for a serious injury and Ross played him in various positions just to get the minutes into his legs. When he played on his preferred position he was very good but couldn't stay fit. He should never have been signed until his fitness was proved but because Ross worked with him before, we took a chance, waste of wages for 2 years, not the lads fault but just poor management.

Centre Hawf
09-10-2023, 08:34 AM
For me it was no coincidence that when he got injured before (or in/after?) that first Edinburgh Derby in 21/22 season our form went right out the window. We were looking like a great wee side that could have gone on to get third after the 7/8 games we were looking good for it, then after his injury we started to collapse entirely and arguably never really recovered for the best part of a year in terms of putting back-to-back wins together. Which coincided with around the time of Magennis returning under LJ.

He was clearly a good good player, better than some others we had for sure, and while I love Joe Newell lets not kid ourselves that many didn't prefer the fit KM in the midfield over him and JDH for large spells until Newell kicked his game up a gear.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2023, 08:44 AM
He had just come back for a serious injury and Ross played him in various positions just to get the minutes into his legs. When he played on his preferred position he was very good but couldn't stay fit. He should never have been signed until his fitness was proved but because Ross worked with him before, we took a chance, waste of wages for 2 years, not the lads fault but just poor management.

The manager took a chance in signing him,it didn't come off.its the kind of signing clubs our size make, some you win some you lose, but he was at an age where if it had gone the other way we'd have had a very good player on our hands and potentially a large fee when we sold him.

J-C
09-10-2023, 10:03 AM
The manager took a chance in signing him,it didn't come off.its the kind of signing clubs our size make, some you win some you lose, but he was at an age where if it had gone the other way we'd have had a very good player on our hands and potentially a large fee when we sold him.

Oh I totally agree, we got him fairly cheap and as you say a punt on an injured that this time didn't work out, it's a shame because he had the makings of a very good player. I say poor management because this wasn't his 1st bad injury, the signs were all there, he needed to prove his fitness before we actually signed him.

Stubbsy90+2
09-10-2023, 10:06 AM
Oh I totally agree, we got him fairly cheap and as you say a punt on an injured that this time didn't work out, it's a shame because he had the makings of a very good player.

Did we get him cheap?

We paid a fee and he was captain of another team in our league. We also gave him a 5 year deal. I’d fancy the fee and contract we offered up to him combined will make him one of the most expensive signings we’ve made since the McLeish days.

J-C
09-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Did we get him cheap?

We paid a fee and he was captain of another team in our league. We also gave him a 5 year deal. I’d fancy the fee and contract we offered up to him combined will make him one of the most expensive signings we’ve made since the McLeish days.

Didn't think the fee was huge, £200k ish but 5 year deal was a nonsense for someone with his injury record, it's done now and we move on.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2023, 12:26 PM
My recollection of Magennis is that when played in his proper position he looked the player we had been looking for in midfield the missing link providing drive and power a ball winner dragging us up the park linking defence to attack

A totally different type of midfield player to Super Joe

Sadly these performances were few and far between and have become a distant memory due to injuries and we will never know how good he might have been in the famous green and white scoring 7:49

A gamble that did not work out

I wish him a full and speedy recovery

Edit:

Every time I looked at him he reminded me of another goal scoring midfield legend : Pat McGinlay

jacomo
09-10-2023, 09:22 PM
My recollection of Magennis is that when played in his proper position he looked the player we had been looking for in midfield the missing link providing drive and power a ball winner dragging us up the park linking defence to attack

A totally different type of midfield player to Super Joe

Sadly these performances were few and far between and have become a distant memory due to injuries and we will never know how good he might have been in the famous green and white scoring 7:49

A gamble that did not work out

I wish him a full and speedy recovery

Edit:

Every time I looked at him he reminded me of another goal scoring midfield legend : Pat McGinlay

It didn’t work out but it was a signing that ticked all the boxes at the time.

Callum_62
17-01-2024, 08:47 PM
But it wasn’t all good news for the Rugby Park boss as he revealed midfielders Kyle Magennis and Brad Lyons are facing a lengthy spell on the sidlelines after going under the knife for respective hamstring and cruciate injuries.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, McInnes said: “We have two significant injuries.

“Kyle Magennis had has a recurrence – a different muscle in part of the hamstring but still a significant injury – and he has had an operation and he will be out for the next wee while.

500miles
17-01-2024, 09:09 PM
I wonder if it's genetics or over exposure at a young age that causes these problems for guys like Magennis.

worcesterhibby
17-01-2024, 09:12 PM
I wonder if it's genetics or over exposure at a young age that causes these problems for guys like Magennis.

Such a shame, very talented guy.

Baader
17-01-2024, 09:18 PM

Just biology and bad luck. Some players, like Magennis, are just so injury prone. Others never seem to be out. Always remember Darren Jackson was rarely injured when with us, he was skin and bone and took some treatment as well.

Must be devastating for a player knowing your body is constantly failing you and there's really not anything you can do about it. Feel for Magennis, it didn't work out but not his fault. As seems to be the consensus, he's a very good player but forever injured. Will take a toll psychologically too.

delaCalz
17-01-2024, 09:57 PM
Shame for the guy. If he could stay fit he's a good player

Hibee Mac
18-01-2024, 07:11 AM
Has Magennis ever made it past October? Wild how clubs keep taking a chance on him

Since452
18-01-2024, 07:13 AM
Such a shame, very talented guy.

Yeah. Had all the attributes to go to a very high level. I was disappointed when he left Hibs but this shows that sadly it was the correct decision.

BoomtownHibees
18-01-2024, 07:14 AM
Has Magennis ever made it past October? Wild how clubs keep taking a chance on him

Only 2 clubs have signed him following his St Mirren days to be fair, not as if there have been 5 or 6 clubs taking a chance on him