PDA

View Full Version : Which Hibs Will Show Up Against Raith?

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2023, 08:42 AM
My money is on the lethargic slow starters.

This is a big game for Johnson. The cups are our best chance of glory and he never took this one seriously last season, and placed his own jacket on a shoogly peg with the support from the off.

He needs to put out a team that performs today.

Hibeewilly
20-08-2023, 08:48 AM
My money is on the lethargic slow starters.

This is a big game for Johnson. The cups are our best chance of glory and he never took this one seriously last season, and placed his own jacket on a shoogly peg with the support from the off.

He needs to put out a team that performs today.
We need to make sure we are prepared for Villa on Wed for me. I'd be putting in the fringe players and resting a few. In saying that we don't have many to put in looking at our squad. To qualify against Villa will earn us circa £4m and to me that must be the focus

Since452
20-08-2023, 08:53 AM
I'm not expecting a great performance today. If I was a betting man I'd have Rovers on the coupon. Thursday was a monumental effort. Some won't like it but we need a good few changes today.

Billy Whizz
20-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Wasn’t much between the games in the cup over the weekend via lower league opposition. Aberdeen, Rangers and Ross County win by one goal and Livvi 2 goals
This is Rovers cup final, we need to be up for it

Keith_M
20-08-2023, 09:00 AM

Vini1875
20-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Problem is that today's game is more important than the Villa game. By that I mean with all our best players on top form and Villa's not quite at it, we would still need a monumental slice of luck to go through. Where as the League cup is a trophy we can win.

The players will be excited to get into the team for Wednesday and some fringe players ought to be staking a claim with a good performance today, but today is a must win and wednesday is a hope we win.

Johnson should looking to get this game won early and rest players who he thinks will be involved on wednesday, but it won't be easy.

PatHead
20-08-2023, 09:04 AM
I can't see us winning today. As Billy says it is their cup final, they are off to a decent start this season and our players will be feeling it after Thursday as well as a number nursing knocks.

I hope that the strongest team possible is put out as it could be our best chance of silverware this season.

flash
20-08-2023, 09:08 AM
I can't see us winning today. As Billy says it is their cup final, they are off to a decent start this season and our players will be feeling it after Thursday as well as a number nursing knocks.

I hope that the strongest team possible is put out as it could be our best chance of silverware this season.

You can't see us winning today? Seriously?

Hibbyradge
20-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Thursday will have sapped the players' energy so we need to rest as many as possible to make sure they're fully fit for Wednesday.

Having said that, while the Villa game is important and we need to give a good account of ourselves, the chance of us progressing is extremely small so, in that respect, prioritising today would make sense.

However, I don't think anyone would expect us to sacrifice Wednesday for today so I expect several fringe players to start this afternoon, keeping the likes of Youan, Newell and Vente on the bench.

To answer the OP's question. Today will seem flat compared to Thursday and with only a small crowd expected, I expect the game to be torpid.

Allant1981
20-08-2023, 09:11 AM
You can't see us winning today? Seriously?

Yip find this a bit crazy, the guys will be well rested since Thursday night, there most definitely won't be 11 changes so will still be a strong team being played, no reason to suggest we can't beat raith rovers(appreciate shocks happen)

S4uzee
20-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Professional footballers should be able to play 90 minutes Thursday, Sunday Wednesday. It’s just a negative mindset that they’ll be exhausted and giving them an excuse already

J-C
20-08-2023, 09:26 AM
He really needs to make changes to rest the better players for Villa but that means lesser quality on the park, I'd like to see a couple of youngsters start to see what they can do, Molotnikov and McAllister for starters, even get Delferriere in his preferred position as a DM.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Professional footballers should be able to play 90 minutes Thursday, Sunday Wednesday. It’s just a negative mindset that they’ll be exhausted and giving them an excuse already

Of course they can perform. They just won't be able to keep the standards up. It's not about having excuses, it's about energy levels and recovery, not to mention knocks.

Even managers at the top clubs rest their players if they have a busy schedule. The Australian women's team is complaining that they had a day less to recover before their 3rd place play off against Sweden.

20-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Problem is that today's game is more important than the Villa game. By that I mean with all our best players on top form and Villa's not quite at it, we would still need a monumental slice of luck to go through. Where as the League cup is a trophy we can win.

The players will be excited to get into the team for Wednesday and some fringe players ought to be staking a claim with a good performance today, but today is a must win and wednesday is a hope we win.

Johnson should looking to get this game won early and rest players who he thinks will be involved on wednesday, but it won't be easy.

I'd say the millions on offer for getting past Villa and the matches we'd then get make the Villa game much more important but fair enough, I see how others think differently. What I would is, yes we are massive underdogs v Villa but that's no reason to throw in the towel before a ball's been kicked, like some aleady have (not saying you). Plus I get the feeling the Gordons would allow a large chunk of the millions to be re-invested in the squad.

LJ should go with a mix of fringe players and 1st choice picks. As you say, fringe players ought to be staking a claim so you'd hope for a good performance from them. Some of who've played the most so far should be rested though that will depend on who the alternative is. It is a very delicate balancing act which, as you say, won't be easy.

One thing's for certain, once the line up comes out he's going to get slaughtered by some whatever it is.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2023, 09:32 AM

Apologies. I hadn't read this before I posted virtually the same sentiments.

B.H.F.C
20-08-2023, 09:38 AM

Agree, and thousands do all year round.

Granted there will be times when things need freshened up but I don’t think we should making 8, 9, 10 changes. There are boys in there who spent years playing lower league in England and that means games nearly every midweek all season.

They need to come out and go after Raith from the start and get the game won.

Tyler Durden
20-08-2023, 09:42 AM
We should be able to rest several players and still beat Raith. Won't be easy but there's a number of players will be eager to get a start.

A team along the lines of

Marshall

Miller
Obita
Rocky
Fish

Jeggo
Campbell
Henderson

Youan

ALF
Doidge

S4uzee
20-08-2023, 09:43 AM
We should be able to rest several players and still beat Raith. Won't be easy but there's a number of players will be eager to get a start.

Marshall

Miller
Obita
Rocky
Fish

Jeggo
Campbell
Henderson

Youan

ALF
Doidge

Jeeez that midfield would be no better than Raith

20-08-2023, 09:44 AM
Thursday will have sapped the players' energy so we need to rest as many as possible to make sure they're fully fit for Wednesday.

Having said that, while the Villa game is important and we need to give a good account of ourselves, the chance of us progressing is extremely small so, in that respect, prioritising today would make sense.

However, I don't think anyone would expect us to sacrifice Wednesday for today so I expect several fringe players to start this afternoon, keeping the likes of Youan, Newell and Vente on the bench.

To answer the OP's question. Today will seem flat compared to Thursday and with only a small crowd expected, I expect the game to be torpid.

😂

Someone posted that one of Boyle and Youan should start to make sure we've got some pace, which I think is a very good point. Boyle is obviously coming back from a long term injury and Youan had his back problem recently too. I'd be inclined to start Youan and rest Boyle and depending on how it's going bring Boyle on in the 2nd half, potentially for Youan but not if the game is tight as the 2 of them link up well. Agree re resting Newell and Vente.

B.H.F.C
20-08-2023, 09:44 AM
I’d go something like this.

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Harbottle
McIntyre

Youan
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

ALF
Vente

Freshen it up a bit but we need to keep some kind of pace in the team or we’ll end up knocking the ball about slowly like we did at Motherwell last week and be unable to get up the park.

ErinGoBraghHFC
20-08-2023, 09:46 AM

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Harbottle
McIntyre

Youan
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

ALF
Vente

Freshen it up a bit but we need to keep some kind of pace in the team or we’ll end up knocking the ball about slowly like we did at Motherwell last week and be unable to get up the park.

I’m a big fan of Jeggo, as most will know. But he shouldn’t be near this game, we need to dominate the ball imo and his passing isn’t great. I think he’s a good player but this game doesn’t suit his role in the team, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-08-2023, 09:49 AM

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Harbottle
McIntyre

Youan
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

ALF
Vente

Looks about right. Maybe Megwa at right back? Vente could do with minutes and him and ALF upfront should get us the goals to see us through.

Donegal Hibby
20-08-2023, 09:56 AM
We aren't going to beat Villa over two legs and will be lucky to escape without a doing. The Raith game is one we should win if we pick a strong team . If we start resting first team players against Raith we could go out ! Raith games more important .

Tyler Durden
20-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Jeeez that midfield would be no better than Raith

Raith have Sam Stanton in a holding midfield role these days. With Dylan Easton who's a good player but has spent most of his career in League One.

A Hibs team with 3 or 4 reserves should beat Raith. Ewan Henderson would walk into Raith's team.

Hibby Kay-Yay
20-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Has Ben not mentioned the team news yet? :wink:

I’d go:

Marshall

Megwa
Fish
Harbottle
Obita

Henderson
Jeggo
MacIntyre
Youan

ALF
Vente

Not a great side but some key players need a rest.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2023, 10:06 AM
😂

:wink:

The Spaceman
20-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Rest: Newell, Youan, Boyle, Campbell, Hanlon and Stevenson.

theonlywayisup
20-08-2023, 10:09 AM
I'm expecting a much change team. I'd expect our over 30 players to be given a rest, so no Marshall, Hanlon or Stevenson. Same with Boyle, Youan, Newell and Campbell.

I expect that Orbita, Doidge, ALF, Veggo, Rocky, Henderson and Harbottle will all play from the start as they've not had much game time. Has to be the game to try some of the younger players too, but need to get the balance right across the team.

Hibby Kay-Yay
20-08-2023, 10:11 AM
I'm expecting a much change team. I'd expect our over 30 players to be given a rest, so no Marshall, Hanlon or Stevenson. Same with Boyle, Youan, Newell and Campbell.

I expect that Orbita, Doidge, ALF, Veggo, Rocky, Henderson and Harbottle will all play from the start as they've not had much game time. Has to be the game to try some of the younger players too, but need to get the balance right across the team.

Rocky is suspended

Mikey_1875
20-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Make some changes if needed but I wouldn’t be resting players with Wednesday in mind. Big cup game for us and LJ, only 4 games away from a trophy. Has to be the priority.

Unseen work
20-08-2023, 10:12 AM
I really think we should play more or less our strongest team but don’t think Johnson will.

I think he’ll go for something like

……….……..Marshall……..

Megwa….Rocky…Hanlon…Stevenson….

………….JDH…..Newell……

Youan……..Henderson…..Obita….

……………….Doidge…….

I want Vente to start to just see more of him, get him really up to speed and hopefully get another couple of goals

Raith will be right up for it and Murray seems to have done a good job and recruited well for them;

Dabrowski in goals will he right up for it and is capable of a brilliant save

Ewan Murray at centre half is really good in the air and a big threat from set pieces

Stanton in midfield as we know has good ability on the ball, as does Vaughan who will likely play just behind the striker.

Hamilton up top is your typical striker that won’t give the defenders a seconds piece and chase every ball.

Josh Mullin out wide has a wand of s right foot and could easily score direct from a free kick or from open play outside the box.

Before anyone says “if they’re that good they wouldn’t be at raith”….I know, but they still have good players who on their day can threaten us.

Hibernian Verse
20-08-2023, 10:13 AM
Beale made a good point about PSV being given the weekend off. Something the SPFL could think about for all clubs in Europe before playoff games.

Tyler Durden
20-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Beale made a good point about PSV being given the weekend off. Something the SPFL could think about for all clubs in Europe before playoff games.

PSV played last night

Broken Gnome
20-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Raith have Sam Stanton in a holding midfield role these days. With Dylan Easton who's a good player but has spent most of his career in League One.

A Hibs team with 3 or 4 reserves should beat Raith. Ewan Henderson would walk into Raith's team.

That's true obviously - there's no player lining up today that wouldn't find their way into Raith's squad.

The problem is that some of the players featuring today - midfield particularly - aren't exactly guaranteed to show they are a level above.

CropleyWasGod
20-08-2023, 10:20 AM

Easton is suspended today, which is a real blow for Rovers.

Borderhibbie76
20-08-2023, 10:21 AM

Marshall

Miller
Obita
Rocky
Fish

Jeggo
Campbell
Henderson

Youan

ALF
Doidge

Why are people not getting that Roxky is suspended its all over every thread

EGL2000
20-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Easton is suspended today, which is a real blow for Rovers.

Yup really good player when he's on it.

Billy Whizz
20-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Why are people not getting that Roxky is suspended its all over every thread

Maybe just to highlight it to Hibs

jeffers
20-08-2023, 10:27 AM
We aren't going to beat Villa over two legs and will be lucky to escape without a doing. The Raith game is one we should win if we pick a strong team . If we start resting first team players against Raith we could go out ! Raith games more important .

Absolutely this.

Pick the strongest team we have today, hopefully get a few ahead then make substitutions. Really don’t get the logic that we make wholesale changes today with Wednesday in mind.

Since452
20-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Vente to start to get him more up to speed. Would have had Levitt in there too. Would have been ideal for him.

HarpOnHibee
20-08-2023, 10:42 AM
Make some changes if needed but I wouldn’t be resting players with Wednesday in mind. Big cup game for us and LJ, only 4 games away from a trophy. Has to be the priority.

Disagree. Even although our chances against Villa are slim. It's a very rare chance to achieve a famous result and get into the group stages, even if it doesn't seem likely. We'll face Raith Rovers again. We should be at our fullest possible strength against Villa IMO.

20-08-2023, 10:45 AM
PSV played last night

Yes and the Dutch FA have allowed them to reschedule next weekend's match to help them prepare for the 2nd leg.