PDA

View Full Version : Frank Dougans Tartan Army

big-mo
19-08-2023, 11:13 AM
As some of you will know I have been clearing out my brother's collection of football memorabilia (Frank Dougan, Big Frank), both his Hibs and Scotland stuff, most of it has now gone (a few items left). However, Frank had a large (20+ foot by 5 foot) 'Hibs Supporters, Frank Dougans, Tartan Army' flag, which he took to most Scotland games, the first being the World cup Finals in Mexico in 1986. It takes up quite a bit of room and I decided to offer it to the Scottish Football Museum, they have responded and are delighted to add it to their collection along with Big Frank's story of him supporting Hibs and Scotland over the years. I do have a few photos and newspaper articales of Frank with the Tartan Army but I was wondering if anyone else on the .net had any photos of Frank in his tartan and especially with his flag? If so, could you please get in contact and if possible I would be able to hand copies of them over to the museum to add to the collection.

tigerted
19-08-2023, 09:45 PM
As some of you will know I have been clearing out my brother's collection of football memorabilia (Frank Dougan, Big Frank), both his Hibs and Scotland stuff, most of it has now gone (a few items left). However, Frank had a large (20+ foot by 5 foot) 'Hibs Supporters, Frank Dougans, Tartan Army' flag, which he took to most Scotland games, the first being the World cup Finals in Mexico in 1986. It takes up quite a bit of room and I decided to offer it to the Scottish Football Museum, they have responded and are delighted to add it to their collection along with Big Frank's story of him supporting Hibs and Scotland over the years. I do have a few photos and newspaper articales of Frank with the Tartan Army but I was wondering if anyone else on the .net had any photos of Frank in his tartan and especially with his flag? If so, could you please get in contact and if possible I would be able to hand copies of them over to the museum to add to the collection.

I was at Italia 90 with Frank and have lots of photos from that trip including the Flag from when we were in Marina de Massa. I'll see what I can find

27134 Marina De Massa

27135 The Teams

27136 Coreglia Town

The football match was organised after we arranged to go into the hills for a day trip and obviously the Tartan Army were victorious!

I do have the actual photos that you can have if required?

LewysGot2
20-08-2023, 10:57 AM
I was at Italia 90 with Frank and have lots of photos from that trip including the Flag from when we were in Marina de Massa. I'll see what I can find

27134 Marina De Massa

27135 The Teams

27136 Coreglia Town

The football match was organised after we arranged to go into the hills for a day trip and obviously the Tartan Army were victorious!

Great photos and a nice tribute to him

Hibernian Verse
20-08-2023, 11:00 AM

27134 Marina De Massa

27135 The Teams

27136 Coreglia Town

Great photos. It’s so interesting to hear Hibs stories from the past, as we “young” (ish) lot go to make our memories in Europe and further afield.

Keith_M
20-08-2023, 12:04 PM

Fantastic stuff.

Did they say when it would be put on display? I fancy going in to have a look.

big-mo
21-08-2023, 07:29 AM
Fantastic stuff.

Did they say when it would be put on display? I fancy going in to have a look.

They did not commit to putting it on permanent display (due to the size of it) but would hold it in their archives and bring it out for special exhibitions.

big-mo
21-08-2023, 07:30 AM

27134 Marina De Massa

27135 The Teams

27136 Coreglia Town

Thanks for sharing these, could you please send me copies of these directly, if possible?

The Pointer
21-08-2023, 10:11 AM
That's good to know his TA flag will be looked after at Hampden as all these items are part of the social history of Scotland.

My brother knew him better through the TA having been on the legendary trip to Israel, and I only met him a couple of times. First was after a meeting at Sunnyside to discuss the forthcoming Mexico '86 (?) when someone knicked my black leather, motorcycle jacket. After realising this and having looked for it everywhere, I mentioned it to Frank and gave him a description. The next day, a Sunday, he turned up at my parent's door in Buckstone with said jacket having found a bloke wearing it in the chippy up the road. Never thought I'd see it again - great guy.

Keith_M
21-08-2023, 11:06 AM
They did not commit to putting it on permanent display (due to the size of it) but would hold it in their archives and bring it out for special exhibitions.

Cheers, Mo.

:aok: