PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith BEFORE kick off v Villa?

Springbank
18-08-2023, 06:17 AM
I would love us to break with tradition just this once & sing SoL before the teams run out versus Villa.

We did it to acknowledge Ron Gordon's passing earlier this year

I'd like us to show it to the wider TV audience pre-kick-off on Wednesday

Trinity Hibee
18-08-2023, 06:20 AM
Good shout

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2023, 06:23 AM
Naw chance of a serious doing here don’t want to overplay it let’s just see what Hibs turn up ?

I honestly believe if we apply ourselves and focus for ninety minutes we can beat them or at least get a result

SOL to mark a victory definitely imo

Since452
18-08-2023, 06:23 AM
Nah celebration song only.

tamig
18-08-2023, 08:39 AM
I would love us to break with tradition just this once & sing SoL before the teams run out versus Villa.

No thanks from me. Its a very special song and will be sung if we win. Not before the game. The Ron tribute was exceptional circumstances obviously.

Jones28
18-08-2023, 08:42 AM
I'd love to see it sung pre game, it would be magic. But its usually a celebratory thing so don't really mind either way. European football has a great chance to showcase it though.

Hillsidehibby
Not for me

BoomtownHibees
No for me

Stubbsy90+2
18-08-2023, 08:45 AM
Not the worst idea. In reality it’s unlikely to be sung after so I’d not be against it.

One Day Soon
18-08-2023, 08:46 AM
I think you might be on to something here.

I'm generally in favour of singing it only after games but the soft power that song has when fans of almost every other club in the world see and hear us doing it is immense. It is routinely quoted as being one of the very top - if not THE top - club anthems globally. I honestly think that a good rendition of that on TV before the game would, indirectly, be worth money to the club.

And I do wonder what hearing it delivered by the best part of 20,000 Hibees at full voice immediately prior to kick off would do emotionally to the inside of John McGinn's head just before he has to play 90 minutes...

JimBHibees
18-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Not the worst idea. In reality it’s unlikely to be sung after so I’d not be against it.

For that reason I think pre game is a great idea. :greengrin

HIBS NUTS
18-08-2023, 08:47 AM
Yeh i would do this .
Would show hibs in a fantastic light, to a large english audience, might even get a few new fans.
i don’t think we will get the chance, post game. 😄

JimBHibees
18-08-2023, 08:47 AM
I think you might be on to something here.

I'm generally in favour of singing it only after games but the soft power that song has when fans of almost every other club in the world see and hear us doing it is immense. It is routinely quoted as being one of the very top - if not THE top - club anthems globally. I honestly think that a good rendition of that on TV before the game would, indirectly, be worth money to the club.

And I do wonder what hearing it delivered by the best part of 20,000 Hibees at full voice immediately prior to kick off would do emotionally to the inside of John McGinn's head just before he has to play 90 minutes...

Probably motivate him to play the game of his life :greengrin

DH1875
18-08-2023, 08:49 AM
Imagine it after the game if we win 🤪

HendoDelivered
18-08-2023, 08:58 AM
Would be nice to do it pre game tbf, done it vs Dnipro and sounded unreal

Bobby's Cinema
18-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Not against it right as the teams come out when the stands are packed and buzzing to showcase for this sort of occasion.What puts me off was Hampden pre cup final v Celtic. Remember they put it on about half an hour before KO, empty seats everywhere it was dire.

Trinity Hibee
18-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Get it on as the teams come out. Will really showcase us on TV around the UK/world and it’s probably the only song pre match that will get the crowd up for it and possibly intimidate Villa.

kentao
18-08-2023, 09:28 AM
Hopefully the announcer lets the fans dictate the atmosphere 10 minutes before kick off, nothing worse than drowning the fans out with overly load P*** music that adds nothing to the event.3 minutes before the teams come out start Sunshine on Leith and let the party start.

LaMotta
18-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Yes defo! Perfect time to air it with such a huge TV audience and a packed Easter Road.

lucky
18-08-2023, 09:52 AM
Yes defo! Perfect time to air it with such a huge TV audience and a packed Easter Road.

Spot on. Liverpool and the spin-offs sing YNWA before games

JamesHFC
18-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Yes I would.

Only problem is people may be struggling to make 5.45 kick off as it is.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-08-2023, 10:05 AM
Woke up this morning thinking the exact same thing. Would be perfect just as the teams are coming out.

Greenbeard
18-08-2023, 10:31 AM
Not sure. Post game when celebrating, the away fans are on their way out and silent. Pre game the Villa fans will do everything they can to counter SoL esp if they know it is coming. Luzern fans made a lot of noise. Expect Villa fans will make considerably more.

JamesHFC
18-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Not sure. Post game when celebrating, the away fans are on their way out and silent. Pre game the Villa fans will do everything they can to counter SoL esp if they know it is coming. Luzern fans made a lot of noise. Expect Villa fans will make considerably more.

Only going to be a thousand of them, we will drown them out no worries.

Keith_M
18-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Nah celebration song only. :agree:

Billy Whizz
18-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Maybe after the 2nd leg, not on Wednesday as it’s only half time

1875Sean
18-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Did we not play it against AEK at half time at Easter road? Sure it was then or full time going into extra time, one the best atmospheres I’ve witness at Easter road so all for it before kick off

.Sean.
18-08-2023, 11:02 AM
If we sell out it’s a must IMOBiggest home game in years, if that’s not an occasion for SOL then I dunno what is

BoomtownHibees
18-08-2023, 11:03 AM
Maybe after the 2nd leg, not on Wednesday as it’s only half time

No sure the Villa DJ would be happy playing it if we’ve just knocked them out 😂

Keith_M
18-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Did we not play it against AEK at half time at Easter road? Sure it was then or full time going into extra time, one the best atmospheres I’ve witness at Easter road so all for it before kick off IIRC, that was the first time we'd done that at ER and was the moment it became 'our song'. ------ (unless anybody remembers an earlier occasion)

wookie70
18-08-2023, 11:10 AM
SoL is for winning games. I wouldn't even play it if we beat Villa at ER as we wouldn't have won the tie. Keep it special

Trinity Hibee
18-08-2023, 11:12 AM
SoL is for winning games. I wouldn't even play it if we beat Villa at ER as we wouldn't have won the tie. Keep it special

This is a special game though. I agree generally and for domestic games to keep it for a win but a European game vs English premier league side. It really doesn’t get bigger than that.

wookie70
18-08-2023, 11:25 AM
This is a special game though. I agree generally and for domestic games to keep it for a win but a European game vs English premier league side. It really doesn’t get bigger than that. A bit like singing it at half time if we are 1 up against Hearts to me.

gbhibby
18-08-2023, 12:27 PM
Would sing it before the it's all about the atmosphere it's a big European night imagine the lift the players will get walking out the tunnel to SOL and how it will look on TV to the watching masses. Should be followed up with Glory Glory to the Hibees get the place rocking.

Alvin
18-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Do it. No brainer surely.

Pagan Hibernia
18-08-2023, 12:31 PM
not for me.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Normally I would be firmly in the no camp on this. But as others are pointing out we will have a large TV audience all over the world and it would be a good chance to showcase what the club is all about, for that reason I would be OK doing it this one time ... Chuck it on to time it so it ends just before kick off and you could get the place rocking before a ball is even kicked. It would be nice for the Villa fans to see it ... A lot of folk comment on the song on You Tube etc saying they would like to visit ER to hear it, without realising that Hibs only trot it out on special occasions. If by some miracle we actually win the game we can play it at full time as well :-)

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2023, 12:56 PM
I think it should be sung beforehand, this game is made for it.

Garymcl
18-08-2023, 01:02 PM
Defo sing it loud and proud stadium full of hibbys Europe watching on no brainer canny wait

Waxy
18-08-2023, 01:07 PM

It would be special before it on this occasion.

The Spaceman
18-08-2023, 01:15 PM
This is the biggest European game in many of our Hibs-supporting lifetimes (I’m 31). It’s a group stage playoff. It’s against a top Premier League side. It’s on the BBC. Get Sunshine on Leith blasting with a huge display in the East and Famous Five Stands. It’s too special an occasion not to showcase one of our club’s many great individual charms.

Lee Marvin
18-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Stick another vote down for getting it played before the game. Imagine the exposure!

edit: but it must start before the players come out. Maybe time it with the players coming out after the end of the 2nd Chorus or something

jacomo
18-08-2023, 01:52 PM
Spot on. Liverpool and the spin-offs sing YNWA before games

Liverpool do YNWA every home game for the tourists. I don’t want us going down that route.

Pagan Hibernia
18-08-2023, 02:04 PM
Spot on. Liverpool and the spin-offs sing YNWA before gamesSeems like a great reason not to do it to be honest

Box 17
18-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Do it.If we don't it's a huge opportunity lost.

stoneyburn hibs
18-08-2023, 02:17 PM
Do it before kick off, and do it after the final whistle to celebrate the win.

JimBHibees
18-08-2023, 02:26 PM
I think it should be sung beforehand, this game is made for it.

Absolutely is

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Seems like a great reason not to do it to be honestI don't think anybody would ever suggest we do it before every game mate, it would totally lose it's impact. It's not often that Hibs play in a game that will have worldwide attention and given the huge numbers of EPL fanboys all over the globe this is about as close as we'll get. It's an opportunity to show the club in a good light to people who wouldn't normally give it a second thought, we would be mental not to grasp it in any way we can in all honesty. Doing this is about as good as we can do, short of actually beating Villa on the night, which lets face it is a bit of a long shot to say the least.

LewysGot2
18-08-2023, 02:40 PM
I’m usually in the after camp but this is an opportunity for something different- and if it makes Super nostalgic well that might be worth it alone…

Johnny Clash
18-08-2023, 02:43 PM
It seems to work for Nottingham Forest , who play ‘Oh City Ground ‘(tune: Mull of Kintyre) just before kick off. Gets the crowd pumped up. I think belting out Sunshine on Leith would work for us on this special occasion.

Brightside
18-08-2023, 02:47 PM

No

04Sauzee
18-08-2023, 03:03 PM
I'm for it tbh

Mibbes Aye
18-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Benfica play and sing 'Ser Benfiquista' before every match. It is probably the closest in sentiment to SoL and it works.

To be honest I think there are two options:

Play it after victories in significant games (cue 'significant' debate), or
Play it before every home game and just say that's what we do

Picking specific games to play it before would be even more tortuous a debate than picking the games to play it after.

mutley
18-08-2023, 03:15 PM
I was in the NO camp when this thread started, but the more I read the more I have been swayed the other way, anything that gives us good publicity such as this and to have people talking about it would be fantastic. So I am now firmly in the YES camp now , but definitely only as a 1- off for this game .

Edit: and can you imagine the boost it would give our players to hear that, if that isn’t enough to make them give 110% , I don’t know what is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JamesHFC
18-08-2023, 03:16 PM
This game is going to be viewed by thousands around the world. Let's show them what we are made of. With half the south sold aswell it's going to be electric.

Hibs3-2
18-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Simple answer - yes.

Dont want it becoming a habit though. I remember when mcpake was captain we played it a few times in a row before the idea was rightly squished

wookie70
18-08-2023, 03:26 PM
I was in the NO camp when this thread started, but the more I read the more I have been swayed the other way, anything that gives us good publicity such as this and to have people talking about it would be fantastic. So I am now firmly in the YES camp now , but definitely only as a 1- off for this game .Edit: and can you imagine the boost it would give our players to hear that, if that isn’t enough to make them give 110% , I don’t know what is Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProStill a no for me despite understanding the reasoning of those in favour. SoL is earned by the players not something to get them going. To be honest they shouldn't need anything beyond personal pride and opportunity to give everything they have in every game never mind a game like next week. There is also the fact I love how SoL not only reminds the opposition they have been defeated but also by the club with the best anthem in world football. I'll belt it out if we do play it pre game but I hope we don't and it will make no difference to the football we play on the night.

Hero76
18-08-2023, 03:27 PM
full version please before KO , live on TV millions watching .

RoYO!
18-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Get it on pre match. 100%. Belt our lungs out. Would be very special.

hibee-boys
18-08-2023, 04:21 PM
I’m usually very keen to keep it for the special odd occasion but like many on here I think it would be very fitting. Doubt we’ll be in the mood post game🙈😂

theScientist
18-08-2023, 04:24 PM
Players earned it for the two games against Luzern. How many folk had us written off before the game against Luzern, it would have been played had the 2nd leg been at ER. Give the team what they deserved for that performance whilst also trying to inspire them for the game, get the time for hero's banner out whilst at it!

California-Hibs
18-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Usually I'm firmly in the camp of right after a big game win at the full time whistle, but for this particular instance, when let's be honest we more than likely will get beat, we'd be missing a big opportunity if we didn't play it pre game. 20.5K fans in the stadium, Live TV cameras with absolute millions watching far and wide, it would show case our club aswel as maybe make a few think, 'geezo, look at that Scottish club with all those fans, color and noise, maybe the Scottish League ain't all that bad?'

Then if we pull off the unthinkable we just play it AGAIN at full time with everyone going nuts 😁

Billy McKirdy
18-08-2023, 04:29 PM
It’s a no from me too, should only ever be played when we’ve something to celebrate, if we actually beat them then the Villa fans should be locked in to witness it.

tamig
18-08-2023, 04:32 PM
Still a no for me despite understanding the reasoning of those in favour. SoL is earned by the players not something to get them going. To be honest they shouldn't need anything beyond personal pride and opportunity to give everything they have in every game never mind a game like next week. There is also the fact I love how SoL not only reminds the opposition they have been defeated but also by the club with the best anthem in world football. I'll belt it out if we do play it pre game but I hope we don't and it will make no difference to the football we play on the night.

Absolutely agree 👏

gbhibby
18-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Before the European nights in the 70s Glory Glory was played before the games, get SOL played there is no hard and fast rules when it should be played.

Tambo
18-08-2023, 04:43 PM
A nice thought, let's play it after we win 😀

wookie70
18-08-2023, 04:50 PM
Before the European nights in the 70s Glory Glory was played before the games, get SOL played there is no hard and fast rules when it should be played. Did we not play that every game up until fairly recently. Don't hear it often from the support these days

Trinity Hibee
18-08-2023, 04:51 PM
Did we not play that every game up until fairly recently. Don't hear it often from the support these days

Last time I remember that before games was the 90s/early 00s. Nowadays it’s some dance pish before every game

Glory Lurker
18-08-2023, 04:53 PM
No.

Greenbeard
18-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Are we not obliged to play UEFA theme music for the teams coming out? So if SoL was to be played pre-match it would need to finish before this, so probs plenty folk still not in their seats when it starts? And tv will be busy doing studio previews so limited exposure to the tv audience. It won't be like Hampden 2016 when everything stopped for SoL. I just wouldn't want it to be a slightly damp squib.

wookie70
18-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Last time I remember that before games was the 90s/early 00s. Nowadays it’s some dance pish before every game I'm thinking Butcher era

WeeRussell
18-08-2023, 07:57 PM
Yeah why not.

A few people saying it’s only for celebrating, I could be remembering wrongly but I’m sure we used to play it pre-game when I was a kid? Potentially reigned it in a bit as was overkill and became post-big-match wins from there?

Not In The Know
18-08-2023, 08:09 PM
Usually I'm firmly in the camp of right after a big game win at the full time whistle, but for this particular instance, when let's be honest we more than likely will get beat, we'd be missing a big opportunity if we didn't play it pre game. 20.5K fans in the stadium, Live TV cameras with absolute millions watching far and wide, it would show case our club aswel as maybe make a few think, 'geezo, look at that Scottish club with all those fans, color and noise, maybe the Scottish League ain't all that bad?'Then if we pull off the unthinkable we just play it AGAIN at full time with everyone going nuts 😁I’m up for this. ONLY if it’s a full house tho.

Mick O'Rourke
18-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Are we not obliged to play UEFA theme music for the teams coming out? So if SoL was to be played pre-match it would need to finish before this, so probs plenty folk still not in their seats when it starts? And tv will be busy doing studio previews so limited exposure to the tv audience. It won't be like Hampden 2016 when everything stopped for SoL. I just wouldn't want it to be a slightly damp squib.Ok GB,when UEFA tune peters out, Barrie could put on SOL till game starts . The supporters will do the rest ! No more prompting required ! Am sure the twins would agree 👍GGTTH SOL HGSP

IberianHibernian
18-08-2023, 08:33 PM
This game is going to be viewed by thousands around the world. Let's show them what we are made of. With half the south sold aswell it's going to be electric.Big match for us . Huge match for us as we haven`t played a famous non Scottish team in a competitive match for a long time but Aston Villa are not a big name outside England ( this is not Barcelona , Man Utd or one of the Milan clubs for example ) and in the 3rd European competition at 5.45 I don`t think this match will attract much interest outside Edinburgh and maybe Birmingham let alone further afield .

LaMotta
18-08-2023, 08:35 PM
How are people against this idea??!! We havent played an English team at Easter Road in a competitive fixture for nearly half a century. It's clearly a special occasion and wouldn't happen every week. It has to happen, madness not to.

JimBHibees
18-08-2023, 08:37 PM
When was the last time we played such a big European game?

Col2
18-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Does that mean we need to be in the ground by 4.30 👀

IberianHibernian
18-08-2023, 08:41 PM
When was the last time we played such a big European game?2 years ago in Croatia maybe ? Can`t remember what round / group of Europa League we`d have got to if we`d got through .

One Day Soon
18-08-2023, 08:43 PM
No.

No eh? Welcome to the dark side:-)

Trinity Hibee
18-08-2023, 08:44 PM
When was the last time we played such a big European game?

AEK and if not that then anderlecht? If we are talking when was the last glamour tie then surely the 70s

JimBHibees
18-08-2023, 08:53 PM
2 years ago in Croatia maybe ? Can`t remember what round / group of Europa League we`d have got to if we`d got through .

You might be right

JammyDoidger
18-08-2023, 08:54 PM
I reckon this is a great shout as let's be serious, we aren't winning but the players deserve it for getting to this stage, a lot of eyes will be on this, come on Barry get it sorted.

IberianHibernian
18-08-2023, 08:56 PM
I agree but a midweek match with an early kick off in 3rd tier competition in a week with loads of other European matches is not the same as a weekend cup final at end of season when there are not nearly as many other matches on . Anyway if SOL is played on Wednesday has to be before match as even if we win first match , wouldn`t look great celebrating a first leg win if we lose tie .
Do you remember what fans sang in the Cave before Naples and Sporting Lisbon matches ? Maybe that`s inspiration team needs .

CB Hibs 68
18-08-2023, 09:25 PM
No.If we win yes .Simple.

Ship Hibs
18-08-2023, 09:32 PM
Break the bank and get the Proclaimers to play it live before kick off

Hannah_hfc
18-08-2023, 09:32 PM
I’m in the no camp mainly as our support tend to turn up late (without it being a 5:45 kick off). It just wouldn’t be a good look if people are still streaming into the stadium while it’s being played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
18-08-2023, 09:34 PM
Do you remember what fans sang in the Cave before Naples and Sporting Lisbon matches ? Maybe that`s inspiration team needs .

"Standing at the corner..."?

"You're gonnae get your @%#@÷×g heads kicked in".

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
18-08-2023, 09:36 PM
I reckon this is a great shout as let's be serious, we aren't winning but the players deserve it for getting to this stage, a lot of eyes will be on this, come on Barry get it sorted.

Not for me. Sunshine on Leith should be special. Not for beating an Andorran team then Luzern. Not saying the Luzern result wasn't a class one, but we haven't made the group stages yet.

Just my thoughts on it. If Hibs decide to go ahead with it before the game then of course I'll join in, no exactly going to sit in a huff about it.

wookie70
18-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Break the bank and get the Proclaimers to play it live before kick off In true Hibs fashion one is injured! Lol

whiskyhibby
18-08-2023, 09:41 PM
No thanks from me. Its a very special song and will be sung if we win. Not before the game. The Ron tribute was exceptional circumstances obviously.Completely agree

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2023, 09:49 PM
in true hibs fashion one is injured! Lolpmsl

gbhibby
18-08-2023, 09:49 PM
I agree but a midweek match with an early kick off in 3rd tier competition in a week with loads of other European matches is not the same as a weekend cup final at end of season when there are not nearly as many other matches on . Anyway if SOL is played on Wednesday has to be before match as even if we win first match , wouldn`t look great celebrating a first leg win if we lose tie .
GGTTH. Liverpool and the copycats sing YNWA but lose games.
It's all about creating an atmosphere to match the occasion. Those who don't want it sung what song do you want played to build up the atmosphere it's fine saying no,but come up with some suggestions.

Paul1642
18-08-2023, 09:51 PM
GGTTH. Liverpool and the copycats sing YNWA but lose games.
It's all about creating an atmosphere to match the occasion.

Different song and different clubs. I absolutely love sunshine on leith but think we currently go about using it the right way on very special occasions.

Ship Hibs
18-08-2023, 09:54 PM
In true Hibs fashion one is injured! Lol

😂 Brilliant. Get well soon Charlie

tamig
18-08-2023, 10:15 PM
Last time I remember that before games was the 90s/early 00s. Nowadays it’s some dance pish before every game

Glory Glory to the Hibees? It’s probably within the last five years it’s stopped being played before the start. Way more recent than the 90s or 00s.

Brooster
18-08-2023, 10:19 PM
I don't think that's a very good idea.

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-08-2023, 11:41 PM
I thought about this when the draw was made if we got through to play Villa. Part of me says naw, leave it for big wins as intended. But being honest we're not likely to sing it after this game so it's beforehand or not at all.

Yet, it would be good to sing it in front of fans who I think would appreciate it unlike the filthy Huns and a likely UK TV audience in one of our biggest games in years. Split thoughts. Maybes aye, maybes naw.

The Harp Awakes
19-08-2023, 12:01 AM
I thought about this when the draw was made if we got through to play Villa. Part of me says naw, leave it for big wins as intended. But being honest we're not likely to sing it after this game so it's beforehand or not at all.

Yet, it would be good to sing it in front of fans who I think would appreciate it unlike the filthy Huns and a likely UK TV audience in one of our biggest games in years. Split thoughts. Maybes aye, maybes naw.

Playing a top English club in Euro competition isn't something which will be repeated too often. As a one off I think it would work. Bring it on.

JohnM1875
19-08-2023, 12:55 AM
Playing a top English club in Euro competition isn't something which will be repeated too often. As a one off I think it would work. Bring it on.

See, I think it's that part of it that makes it so sad for me. About the state of football really. Let's sign our song because we're playing an English Premier League team. Not even beating, just playing.

The Harp Awakes
19-08-2023, 01:14 AM
See, I think it's that part of it that makes it so sad for me. About the state of football really. Let's sign our song because we're playing an English Premier League team. Not even beating, just playing.

Maybe it could appear sad but it is reality unfortunately. We won't have these occasions very often. Maybe singing it before the game would fire the players up even more. Doing the same every time is boring. We should try something different. Keeps life interesting!

Greenio
19-08-2023, 01:37 AM
It's a song for after winning big games only in my mind, that's what makes it so special. No exceptions.

Not before, not after...as winning at half time, isn't winning.

mcohibs
19-08-2023, 05:33 AM
Nah. Stadium won’t be full pre kick off given the time and folk will still be streaming in or finding their seats, won’t look or sound as good.

Trinity Hibee
19-08-2023, 05:43 AM
Glory Glory to the Hibees? It’s probably within the last five years it’s stopped being played before the start. Way more recent than the 90s or 00s.

Fair enough. I like hearing it but can’t say I’ve heard it regularly for a long time

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2023, 06:10 AM
Last time I heard Glory Glory was post match 21-5-2016 sung with great gusto by all present and brought a tear to a glass eye

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2023, 06:12 AM
Who can forget Teenage Kicks with the Golden Generation running out

Was typical Hibs they would either blow the opposition away or be total gash

Usually the former

MagicSwirlingShip
19-08-2023, 06:44 AM
Not for me. Either at the start of the second half to get the players firing for the second half, or full time.

I think at the Athens match it was at full time before the start of ET it was played. Electric

Alfred E Newman
19-08-2023, 06:46 AM
Not for me. Either at the start of the second half to get the players firing for the second half, or full time.

I think at the Athens match it was at full time before the start of ET it was played. Electric
And we lost

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2023, 07:15 AM
And we lost

Won 3-2 on the night

If only Paco had scored that last minute header

superfurryhibby
19-08-2023, 07:23 AM
No need for SOL before the game.

What would be nice is if the stadium announcer could turn their volume down a bit before KO and let the fans sing. Fair enough, he needs to give it his schtick before routine games, but v Luzern he was doing a good job of killing the pre-match atmosphere by competing with the singing.

JimBHibees
19-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last time I heard Glory Glory was post match 21-5-2016 sung with great gusto by all present and brought a tear to a glass eye

Yep that was brilliant when that was played after the cup win especially the famous five references and winning the cup

Johnny Clash
19-08-2023, 07:35 AM
Ok GB,when UEFA tune peters out, Barrie could put on SOL till game starts . The supporters will do the rest ! No more prompting required ! Am sure the twins would agree 👍GGTTH SOL HGSP

Yes, that should be the plan

Onion
19-08-2023, 07:36 AM
SOL only works after a win, and a good win at that. We’ll have every opp when we beat Villa 3-0.

Johnny Clash
19-08-2023, 07:43 AM

That’s right, it was amazing. I couldn’t believe the VHS video of the game did not have any coverage of this moment. I asked ‘why not’ in the Hibs shop and apparently the club/video maker didn’t want to pay the additional music royalties if they had included us singing SoL in the video. BIG MISTAKE!

There must still be the footage somewhere. It needs to be released.

The Baldmans Comb
19-08-2023, 08:03 AM
https://youtu.be/7RA73rv9B3c

Sevilla v Real Madrid and try to recreate this sort of pre match atmosphere of the "Himmo del Sevilla" .

Hibs should alert the TV companies and inform the supporters that the Hibs team are proudly walking out to Sunshine on Leith.

Hibs are a club that never say boo to a goose but this is a huge showcase game and a tremendous marketing opportunity.

Sunshine on Leith isn't a song to be sung only in celebratory victorious games or on sad remembrance days,it's a song that celebrates who we are and what we represent and Wednesday night is the perfect opportunity.

Pagan Hibernia
19-08-2023, 08:15 AM
Well, I don’t know now. Some good arguments on both sides.My gut reaction was and is still no. Singing it before a game when our team is likely to be pumped silly just seems, well, silly. I expected us to lose to Rangers that night too but that was of course different. That one was for Ron. Why should we sing it this time? Just because it’s an English team?And nothing turns me off more than that Celtic/Liverpool ‘ooh everyone look at us, look how great we are’ stuff. If it’s done for ourselves and to celebrate who and what we are and to try and spur our team on to do themselves justice then I suppose it’s fair enough. If it’s just for the cameras and to get likes and compliments on social media then I’m really not arsed. Either way, if it happens, I will of course join in with gusto.

NAE NOOKIE
19-08-2023, 05:54 PM

Get what you are saying mate. But IMO it's not so much about that as the exposure this game gives Hibs to a much wider audience than normal. Like it or not the EPL is the most watched league in the world and any team from it playing in a game is likely to generate far more interest than a Spanish, German or Italian team of a similar status in their leagues to that of Aston Villa in the EPL.

The other thing to consider in this conversation is that when SOL gets played might be a big deal to us, but so far as the vast majority of the TV audience will be concerned for all they know this is a song that Hibs routinely play before every game, so the worry that this could somehow be construed as Hibs wetting themselves with fawning excitement because of what league the opposition is from, if we do play it pre match, almost certainly only exists in the minds of some of our own support.

Walking out to the whole stadium singing SOL would surely galvanise our players and also show the club, and just as importantly the folk who support it, in the best possible light to a wide audience .... Apart from a wee one off break from tradition I seriously can't see the downside. We all wan't Hibs and the Hibs 'brand' to be more widely known and acknowledged, it's how clubs grow .. IMO we would be mental to miss an opportunity to do so when it presents itself.

Bishop Hibee
19-08-2023, 05:56 PM
And we lost

Won in the night but lost on aggregate. This game was when SoL became our anthem.

Onceinawhile
19-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Get the boy dave back with his violin to play freed from desire.

tonyrougier123
19-08-2023, 06:08 PM
I think this is totally the type of game we should do SOL right at kick off. Showcase the club,let the villa players know we are up for it and ours matter of fact. Let the tv audience see how good an anthem it is and more importantly how amazing it is to be a hibee. Should be flags galore and if possible green and white paper all over the seats before kickoff,get the Scottish tunes banging before kick off. And the violin 🎻 guy back as someone else suggested. Let’s make it hibs AF.

LewysGot2
20-08-2023, 09:45 AM
Hibs should alert the TV companies and inform the supporters that the Hibs team are proudly walking out to Sunshine on Leith.

Hibs are a club that never say boo to a goose but this is a huge showcase game and a tremendous marketing opportunity

I think the coverage for the The Rangers game saw millions of views online and had the club trending all over the UK and beyond. Marketing opportunities are well exploited these days so that might be a big factor :agree:

Waxy
22-08-2023, 11:30 AM
Is this happening before kick off?

PatHead
22-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Is this happening before kick off?

You start and I will join in.

number9dream
22-08-2023, 11:58 AM

Villa fans will be dumbstruck with awe…

Jones28
22-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Villa fans will be dumbstruck with awe…

And there's going to be considerably less of them and considerably more of us than there was against Rangers.

This is the perfect time to play SOL.

.Sean.
22-08-2023, 12:02 PM
This will be the biggest number of Hibs fans in Easter Road at the same time since the 1980’s and arguably our biggest match in years. It’s a huge tie and will be watched all over the UK. Time to showcase ourselves. Must be played IMO

JimBHibees
22-08-2023, 12:07 PM
This will be the biggest number of Hibs fans in Easter Road at the same time since the 1980’s and arguably our biggest match in years. It’s a huge tie and will be watched all over the UK. Time to showcase ourselves. Must be played IMO

Agree totally

Since452
22-08-2023, 12:11 PM
I'm coming round to the idea. As a publicity/marketing tool it would be huge. Even better after if we win right enough. Was thinking earlier that Ron would have absolutely loved it. Gone just too soon.

Diclonius
22-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Nah. They won't even show it on TV, BBC will be wasting the budget on drawing circles and zones all over footage of Villa's previous games or whatever.

King Cosell
22-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Nah, we need something that say 'let's get into these c****'. I'd go for Borstal Breakout by Sham 69.

Trinity Hibee
22-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Simply has to happen! HibsAnnouncer make it happen!!

Since452
22-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Walking out to Born Slippy would be pretty epic too.

BoomtownHibees
22-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Was a definite no earlier on this thread however I now think it should be done. These occasions don’t come around very often and with the size of home crowd it’s got potential to be epic

CapitalGreen
22-08-2023, 12:31 PM

Yes please

leith lynx
22-08-2023, 12:33 PM
I'm coming round to the idea. As a publicity/marketing tool it would be huge. Even better after if we win right enough. Was thinking earlier that Ron would have absolutely loved it. Gone just too soon.

Very well said, 100% with you on this.

Chorley Hibee
22-08-2023, 12:34 PM
It's a no from me.

It's not a song for when there's still thousands outside and shuffling to their seats, it's an end of the game, famous win, stadium full type song for me.

Don't want it ruined.

Chorley Hibee
22-08-2023, 12:35 PM

This!

Hibee Daft
22-08-2023, 12:36 PM
I had wee peak on the villa forums and a few calling us a pub team. Typical english view on Scottish football.

SoL blasting pre match would show everyone how big a club Hibernian fc really is!

The financial gulf is huge and they will more than likely pump us but the passion from our fans in these big games is immense.

Garymcl
22-08-2023, 12:46 PM
Agree very hard to match them on the field but at the very least show them what a support we have get in sharpish and get singing right to the 90 + whatever No Matter the score stick with the team right to the end send them down the road with our fans ringing in there ears ggtth

NAE NOOKIE
22-08-2023, 12:48 PM
I think the coverage for the The Rangers game saw millions of views online and had the club trending all over the UK and beyond. Marketing opportunities are well exploited these days so that might be a big factor :agree:

My big bro was born in Manchester not far from Old Trafford. He supports Man United but has lived in Edinburgh all of his adult life, he doesn't have a lot of interest in Scottish fitba, but he's a defacto Hibs fan because I am and takes a wee interest in our fortunes.

After a wee discussion about SOL he went into You Tube to watch film from 2016 and this, take it from me hard to impress, guy was absolutely blown away by the film and even more so by the comments from fans all over the world saying how much they admired it, even some Sticky Buns FFS :greengrin

Think I said before that I watched one of these 'reaction' videos on You Tube by a north American guy who clearly knew absolutely the square root of sod all about soccer. This full grown man was literally moved to tears watching the post cup final film, especially once he found out what the lyrics were.

There's no doubt about it, this song is admired by fitba fans much further afield than Scotland and is a massive plus for Hibs. IMO we would be extremely foolish not to take advantage of that by showcasing a packed out Easter Road singing it before this game ... nothing to lose and everything to gain so far as I can see.

lyonhibs
22-08-2023, 12:49 PM
It's a no from me.

It's not a song for when there's still thousands outside and shuffling to their seats, it's an end of the game, famous win, stadium full type song for me.

Don't want it ruined.

Indeed. Were it possible to guarantee that the stands will be full 15 minutes prior to kick off then there'd be more point but we all know that's not going to happen, especially with the daft kick off time

Keepthefaith
22-08-2023, 02:37 PM
My big bro was born in Manchester not far from Old Trafford. He supports Man United but has lived in Edinburgh all of his adult life, he doesn't have a lot of interest in Scottish fitba, but he's a defacto Hibs fan because I am and takes a wee interest in our fortunes.

After a wee discussion about SOL he went into You Tube to watch film from 2016 and this, take it from me hard to impress, guy was absolutely blown away by the film and even more so by the comments from fans all over the world saying how much they admired it, even some Sticky Buns FFS :greengrin

Think I said before that I watched one of these 'reaction' videos on You Tube by a north American guy who clearly knew absolutely the square root of sod all about soccer. This full grown man was literally moved to tears watching the post cup final film, especially once he found out what the lyrics were.

There's no doubt about it, this song is admired by fitba fans much further afield than Scotland and is a massive plus for Hibs. IMO we would be extremely foolish not to take advantage of that by showcasing a packed out Easter Road singing it before this game ... nothing to lose and everything to gain so far as I can see.

Agreed. We had a Rosenberg fan sitting next to us at st mirren game, said he'd come specifically to hear it as he'd seen the cup final footage. Bit disappointed at the end of the game all round!

gbhibby
22-08-2023, 02:40 PM
Just think of the view that the Villa fans will have for their mobile phone videos of the whole stadium singing SOL.

Vault Boy
22-08-2023, 02:49 PM
I don’t think it’s a bad shout. Always positive for the club when football’s greatest anthem gets a showing, particularly on a large stage like this.

GreenCastle
22-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Get it played - incredible song and full stadium will love it.

Mick O'Rourke
22-08-2023, 02:55 PM
It's a no from me.

Don't want it ruined.
Could play the SOL intro just before ref blows whistle for ko ,so not to flaunt the rules.
Fans should mostly be seated by then ,and will do the rest after Barry kicks it off !

Am for it being played the morn,pre kick off.
Some will say this is our biggest Euro game since Aek Athens.
Its our biggest Euro game since The Tornadoes era and or Bob Shankly's
V Napoli side.
As well as the Leeds and Liverpool encounters.
So ,its been a long time coming.....
Play the Anthem !!
They will hear it in Gorgie !! Never mind Arthur Seat !

One Day Soon
22-08-2023, 03:05 PM
If that announcer knows his stuff it will be a hat-trick of Teenage Kicks, then Born Slippy and finally SoL timed to run up to just before kick off. Wouldn't kick him/her out of bed for a bonus 500 miles before those three either.

Centre Hawf
22-08-2023, 03:06 PM

This is the only correct answer for walk out songs imo.

Mick O'Rourke
22-08-2023, 03:09 PM
If that announcer knows his stuff it will be a hat-trick of Teenage Kicks, then Born Slippy and finally SoL timed to run up to just before kick off. Wouldn't kick him/her out of bed for a bonus 500 miles before those three either.
Super plan those 3 pre kick off
Get the Holy Ground rocking and the Villans gaping in awe !!

GreenCastle
22-08-2023, 03:36 PM
Hibs announcer maybe able to confirm if plans to play it before game ?

Oddly last time we played it it seemed like an edited version and the track jumped.

leith lynx
22-08-2023, 03:45 PM
Indeed. Were it possible to guarantee that the stands will be full 15 minutes prior to kick off then there'd be more point but we all know that's not going to happen, especially with the daft kick off time

Start of the 2nd half? ..was that not done in the Athens game? ( memory fading)

Box 17
22-08-2023, 03:48 PM
Just before the game is going to be the only (likely) opportunity to do this. Grasp it.

hibeg
22-08-2023, 04:16 PM

You have swayed me ! Initially against it , but it could be brilliant!!

JammyDoidger
22-08-2023, 04:41 PM
This isn't just Hibs V Villa, this is Scotland V England, all the ***** they give us, this is an opportunity to show the difference in passion between both sets of fans,
Sunshine on Leith is the best anthem in football, get it belted out right before kick off and set the tone for a what is one of the biggest games in this clubs history.
The thought of singing sunshine on leith at our loudest whilst looking over to our English neighbours with their flags on show fills me with pride,
Scarfs up fellow Hibees and into these barstewards!

I'm_cabbaged
22-08-2023, 05:46 PM
Start of the 2nd half? ..was that not done in the Athens game? ( memory fading)

Start of et?

Jones28
22-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Been thinking about this more today and there’s no question in my mind we should be playing it before kick off, preferably as the teams come out.

Carheenlea
22-08-2023, 06:02 PM
I’m one who would usually argue against the overplaying of SOL and that the anthem be kept for big game wins.

But the suggestion to play it before tomorrow evenings game just feels absolutely right for such an occasion.

I hope they do.

gbhibby
22-08-2023, 06:10 PM
So the consensus of opinion is it should be sung before the game so it will he sung twice tomorrow

theonlywayisup
22-08-2023, 06:13 PM

Time to watch again (167) Sunshine On Leith | Hibs Fans Sing After The 2016 Scottish Cup Final - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt26StUVHoc)

lugz
22-08-2023, 06:17 PM
I'm very much in the play before the match camp, As the teams come out, line up, team photo etc. Would be very very special.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2023, 06:19 PM
Should play it just as the teams are coming out. I’d normally say naw to this idea but I think it’s a must tomorrow.

Tha Cabbage Kid
22-08-2023, 06:30 PM
I also think playing it before kick off would be a great idea!

is Barry Wilkins the stadium announcer?

22-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Best reason for playing it is it might bring a tear to McGinn's eye and throw him off his game for 5 or 10 minutes.

brianmc
22-08-2023, 06:55 PM
If I've learned anything following Hibs as long as I have (especially for BIG games) it's this: Get your celebrating done pre match, lap it up, have a ball....... Because once they step over that white line you've no idea wtf will happen!
If it goes our way GREAT we can celebrate twice - if we get pumped, at least we got to enjoy it for a bit.

My initial reaction to the SOL question was a no. Now I've had time to think it over I'm firmly in the YES camp.

Get it played - hopefully twice!!💚

22-08-2023, 07:07 PM
I also think playing it before kick off would be a great idea!

is Barry Wilkins the stadium announcer?

He is
https://twitter.com/hibsannouncer

https://twitter.com/Barriestweeting

yonder1875
22-08-2023, 07:18 PM
People are forgetting the essence of this song for us if we play it pre match. It’s to be sung in celebration surely? With the exception being made for Ron of course.

leith lynx
22-08-2023, 07:20 PM
People are forgetting the essence of this song for us if we play it pre match. It’s to be sung in celebration surely? With the exception being made for Ron of course.

Yes, a celebration of a great football club.

Mick O'Rourke
22-08-2023, 07:41 PM

Yes ,celebrating who and what we are and how we live life and being thankful for that.

What some suggest was the rendition that made/cemented it as our anthem was actually sung during a game 22 years ago.

"Its not a football song ,Its more important than that":greengrin

EH54
23-08-2023, 12:18 AM
I would love absolutely zero music played from 30mins before kick off, let the fans do that it’s a massive event and fans will be in fine voice. Always hated pre derby when the stadium is rocking pre game and some song is blasting through the speakers. Turn them off.

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2023, 01:27 AM
If I've learned anything following Hibs as long as I have (especially for BIG games) it's this: Get your celebrating done pre match, lap it up, have a ball....... Because once they step over that white line you've no idea wtf will happen!
If it goes our way GREAT we can celebrate twice - if we get pumped, at least we got to enjoy it for a bit.

My initial reaction to the SOL question was a no. Now I've had time to think it over I'm firmly in the YES camp.

Get it played - hopefully twice!!💚

Mate ... You've just summed up what it means to be a Hibs fan in a single sentence :faf: :not worth

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2023, 02:15 AM

It has certainly become the tradition that SOL is only played after we win and even then only in big games EG cup finals, beating the Yams that sort of thing. Without a doubt the fact that we have been extremely sparing in it's use has kept the song special.

But surely the 'essence' of that song is far more than that, just to be a celebration. The Proclaimers didn't write the song with any idea or intention that it would become the unofficial ( now official ) Hibernian football club anthem, it was the fans who made that happen. This is a song about togetherness, comradeship and yes .... especially love .... not soppy Mills & Boon saccharine romanticised love, but the love shared by family, the love shared by friends, the love that overcomes hardship, adversity and even tragedy.

All supporters of clubs share a common bond. In the case of Hibs this song encapsulates the bond we all share as fans of our club and it's one of the very very few football anthems that can genuinely be described as moving.

For reasons that I won't go into this song in recent weeks has taken on a whole new resonance for me and if it is played tomorrow ( today now ) I am pretty sure I won't be able to get through it without tears streaming down my face. But that's why I want to hear it played and sung to the rafters by our fans before the kick off, it represents the best of us, how special it is to support this club for all its many faults.

To consign Sunshine on Leith to merely a song used at the end of a game to stick it to the Hearts or Sticky Buns after we beat them, or for the once in every 15 years event of us actually winning something is to do it a massive disservice ... there are other times it's use is entirely appropriate ... This is one of them.

hibeerealist
23-08-2023, 08:04 AM
It has certainly become the tradition that SOL is only played after we win and even then only in big games EG cup finals, beating the Yams that sort of thing. Without a doubt the fact that we have been extremely sparing in it's use has kept the song special.

But surely the 'essence' of that song is far more than that, just to be a celebration. The Proclaimers didn't write the song with any idea or intention that it would become the unofficial ( now official ) Hibernian football club anthem, it was the fans who made that happen. This is a song about togetherness, comradeship and yes .... especially love .... not soppy Mills & Boon saccharine romanticised love, but the love shared by family, the love shared by friends, the love that overcomes hardship, adversity and even tragedy.

All supporters of clubs share a common bond. In the case of Hibs this song encapsulates the bond we all share as fans of our club and it's one of the very very few football anthems that can genuinely be described as moving.

For reasons that I won't go into this song in recent weeks has taken on a whole new resonance for me and if it is played tomorrow ( today now ) I am pretty sure I won't be able to get through it without tears streaming down my face. But that's why I want to hear it played and sung to the rafters by our fans before the kick off, it represents the best of us, how special it is to support this club for all its many faults.

To consign Sunshine on Leith to merely a song used at the end of a game to stick it to the Hearts or Sticky Buns after we beat them, or for the once in every 15 years event of us actually winning something is to do it a massive disservice ... there are other times it's use is entirely appropriate ... This is one of them.

Well said that man :agree:

Halmyre Hibee
23-08-2023, 08:15 AM
I want it sung before the game. Let’s see how they handle the uniqueness and passion of 19000 Hibbies in full voice. It’s not just a song of celebration it’s now part of our DNA. Should we get a positive result then let’s blast it out again as others have suggested.

flash
23-08-2023, 08:41 AM
Has to be right before the game as the teams come out.

Not In The Know
23-08-2023, 08:46 AM

Im greetin' reading this!! WELL SAID!

Brightside
23-08-2023, 08:49 AM
I honestly think it will be ruined if its sung before the game. For one thing the stands will be far from full. Sing it at the end no matter the result tonight.

Broken Gnome
23-08-2023, 08:53 AM
I honestly think it will be ruined if its sung before the game. For one thing the stands will be far from full. Sing it at the end no matter the result tonight.

Don't know if you're joking, but the stands will likely be far fuller at 5.35 than they might be at 7.30 if the game pans out like many expect it could...

The only way I wouldn't do it pre-match is if the rush to get in is a bit too much for the ticketing/turnstiles to cope with. If there's 14,000 instead of 18,000 instead the ground, so what, play it. It's a moment.

Brightside
23-08-2023, 08:56 AM
Don't know if you're joking, but the stands will likely be far fuller at 5.35 than they might be at 7.30 if the game pans out like many expect it could...

The only way I wouldn't do it pre-match is if the rush to get in is a bit too much for the ticketing/turnstiles to cope with. If there's 14,000 instead of 18,000 instead the ground, so what, play it. It's a moment.

There is going to be loads of people struggling to get there for kick off, and the usual mob that will be getting in a last pint. Its just never a song to start a game. Its an emotional draining song. We need everyone pumped up not crying! :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
23-08-2023, 08:56 AM

You are assuming then, that the stands, if not full before the game,will be full at the end ��

Play it after the UEFA theme, if that is mandatory. ?
Barrie could start SOL intro when captains meet in centre /just before kick off.
The Stands will do the rest !

Since452
23-08-2023, 08:59 AM
I'm bordering on bipolar on my views on this. Keep changing my mind Great marketing and publicity if if it's sung before the game but it's a slow emotional song. It could flatten the atmosphere and appear a bit gimmicky. Have we ever won when it's been played before a game?

Born Slippy for me.

gbhibby
23-08-2023, 09:09 AM

👍👍👍👍👍

Jones28
23-08-2023, 09:17 AM

What a fantastic post as usual NN :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
23-08-2023, 11:05 AM
What a fantastic post as usual NN :aok:

Cheers mate :embarrass

It was from the heart, admittedly after a couple o' glasses :greengrin

It just strikes me that if it hadn't been for this football club there's a few people who are very special to me that I would never have known, never even have met, wonderful people who I am privileged to call my friends and I'm pretty sure there's loads of people who follow Hibs ( and every other club ) who can say the same, people who have made lifelong friends that like me they would never have met if it hadn't been for this weird shared obsession that is Hibernian football club.

That's a fact of following a club that is often ignored and for me SOL is kind of the wee bundle that you can wrap that brilliant side effect of following Hibs up in, especially at times ( like 2016 ) when it makes you think of some of those friends and relatives who are no longer with us. Overly sentimental, maybe, but it's none the worse for it.

For folk who say we shouldn't play this song pre match .... I've heard it sung at weddings and funerals .... what you can do with it isn't and shouldn't be set in stone :aok:

SunshineOnLeith
23-08-2023, 11:07 AM
In an ideal world doing it before kickoff tonight would be amazing, but the reality of the kickoff time is that there's not going to be much of a pre match buzz in the stadium as most folk rush to get there after work.

Hibees1973
23-08-2023, 11:18 AM

I was a bit indifferent to playing it prior to the game before reading this.

Play it.

Tha Cabbage Kid
23-08-2023, 11:37 AM

Beautifully put 'Nae Nookie',

It is way more than just a song at the end of a game! obviously it shouldnt be played after or before every game but for games like this? most certainly!

get it played hibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

LaMotta
23-08-2023, 11:59 AM

Singing it at the start of the game then it is already celebrating a success - the success of beating Luzern. We haven't had a chance to recognise the achievement of the team for that. Whatever happens v Villa is irrelevant after that.

If we are getting beat though at end of game and people have left then it could taint the song forever if played after a defeat.

Hibby70
23-08-2023, 12:01 PM
Think this will sound pretty special (if played). Get it played Barrie.

NYHibby
23-08-2023, 12:24 PM
Slightly off topic, but am I right that the Europa League/Conference League shared anthem won't be played tonight before the game because it is only used from the group stages onwards?

BurtonOnTrent
23-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Slightly off topic, but am I right that the Europa League/Conference League shared anthem won't be played tonight before the game because it is only used from the group stages onwards?

They had the UCL anthem at Ibrox last night

greenlad
23-08-2023, 12:42 PM

I don't know, but suspect you are correct.

UEFA considers the Champions League playoff round a part of the final tournament which is why these games are part of the TV package and you have the CL music and paraphernalia.

Think the other 2 tournaments that's not the case.

NYHibby
23-08-2023, 12:45 PM
They had the UCL anthem at Ibrox last night

That is what prompted my question. I think the champions league playoff round is treated like more like the competition proper whereas our playoff round is treated like the other qualifying rounds.

I looked up what the competition regulations say on music:

As from the group stage, the walk-on music provided by UEFA must be played from when the players emerge from the players’ tunnel until they have lined up, at which point the UEFA Europa Conference League anthem provided by UEFA must be played.

The two competitions are also different when teams wear the competition badge on their sleeves.

From the group stage, the UEFA Europa Conference League competition badge must appear on the free zone of the right shirt sleeve. The UEFA Europa Conference League badge may not be used at any earlier stage of the competition.

MelbourneHibees
23-08-2023, 02:48 PM
It works because it's sung after a significant victory. Why cheapen it?

CentreLine
23-08-2023, 03:08 PM
It works because it's sung after a significant victory. Why cheapen it?

I would argue it works because it is unique to Hibs, it has no underlying threat or offence to anyone and it happens to be a great song. There don’t need to be rules about when sung, surely?

MelbourneHibees
23-08-2023, 03:17 PM
I would argue it works because it is unique to Hibs, it has no underlying threat or offence to anyone and it happens to be a great song. There don’t need to be rules about when sung, surely?

I agree with all of that but it's significance of being connected to great results and "rarity" also makes it great.

lyonhibs
23-08-2023, 06:48 PM
Did this happen? The way that's panned out, I sincerely hope not

Pagan Hibernia
23-08-2023, 06:51 PM

dont think so. Thank f#*#

cabbageandribs1875
23-08-2023, 06:52 PM
i'm very glad it wasn't played before hand...i'm not even sure i wanted it even if we had won tonight

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2023, 06:55 PM
The pre match music was crap.

Twice they go to play Born Slippy, a tune a lots of us think is absolutely right for the occasion, then talk over it and cut it off after 30 seconds or so.

The guitar guy was alright but could have cut the song short by 3 verses.

hibee_girl
23-08-2023, 06:55 PM

No

norhfc
23-08-2023, 07:00 PM
So happy they didn’t do SOL, keep it for special victories and special occasions. No opposition is big enough to change our tradition with SOL.

Jones28
23-08-2023, 07:07 PM

Twice they go to play Born Slippy, a tune a lots of us think is absolutely right for the occasion, then talk over it and cut it off after 30 seconds or so.

It was. It was crap and it was about 3 million times too loud.

Pagan Hibernia
23-08-2023, 07:11 PM
It just never felt like a good idea to me, despite the many passionate and inspiring cases put forward for it.

Potty78
23-08-2023, 08:55 PM

Switch the music off and let the fans make the atmosphere. Fair play tae block 7 for keeping going mind👍

Springbank
23-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Huge opportunity missed tonight to set a more special tone, pre match, to a big occasion.

No other club would miss a trick to build an edge, a sporting advantage, by ramping up the emotion to a pre kick off crescendo

wookie70
23-08-2023, 10:05 PM
Huge opportunity missed tonight to set a more special tone, pre match, to a big occasion.

No other club would miss a trick to build an edge, a sporting advantage, by ramping up the emotion to a pre kick off crescendo

It would have sullied the song and it was a bad idea to start with as there was always a chance we would get a hiding. The atmosphere would have been gone, as it was, a couple of minutes into the game when the crowd saw how we approached the game. Marshall spoke well in the post match interviews about the players giving nothing for the fans to get behind. He was spot on and SoL would have made no difference to that. One of the few positives tonight was SoL not being associated with that tie.

Glory Lurker
23-08-2023, 10:10 PM
SoL isn't a cabaret turn. It doesn't come out to soak up the admiration. It comes out when it is the perfect thing to do. Even if that means we don't hear it even for a couple of years. That's what makes it so special.

hibsitis
23-08-2023, 10:11 PM
It would have sullied the song and it was a bad idea to start with as there was always a chance we would get a hiding. The atmosphere would have been gone, as it was, a couple of minutes into the game when the crowd saw how we approached the game. Marshall spoke well in the post match interviews about the players giving nothing for the fans to get behind. He was spot on and SoL would have made no difference to that. One of the few positives tonight was SoL not being associated with that tie.

Absolutely right.