PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup, 8 Jan 2023: Villa 1 Stevenage 2

King Cosell
17-08-2023, 10:37 PM
That's all I'm saying.

HITSB6
18-08-2023, 01:05 AM
That's all I'm saying.Not sure any of us Villa fans were that disappointed with this result we signed better players and had a huge winning streak. Only 3/4 of the 16 players who appeared for Villa in that game will play in the next 2 games hate to burst the bubble!

GloryGlory
18-08-2023, 06:24 AM
Not sure any of us Villa fans were that disappointed with this result we signed better players and had a huge winning streak. Only 3/4 of the 16 players who appeared for Villa in that game will play in the next 2 games hate to burst the bubble!

Plus a one off cup game is more likely to produce a shock than two legged Euro ties, where the bigger team will have a second chance. See, for instance, the Inter d'Escalades v Hibernian tie earlier in the competition.

Keith_M
18-08-2023, 10:37 AM
Not sure any of us Villa fans were that disappointed with this result we signed better players and had a huge winning streak. Only 3/4 of the 16 players who appeared for Villa in that game will play in the next 2 games hate to burst the bubble! It's called clutching at straws, mate. It happens to us all in desperate times ;-)

Clarence Beeks
18-08-2023, 10:50 AM
That's all I'm saying.I was at this game. I took my lad who's not that interested in football as my mate wasn't going and it was free for season ticket holders.It was a bizarre game in many ways, nothing was happening. They were no threat and we were a goal up and not much threat ourselves, so with a few minutes to go I said to the boy we'd leave early for once and beat the traffic. I'd got halfway down the stairs when they got a penalty, so I stopped to see it go in and then left, got halfway across the carpark behind a couple of lads who were already discussing having to go to Stevenage on a Wednesday night (if you dont know Stevenage, think Cumbernauld without the charm) when the second went in.Put it this way, your hopes entirely rest upon if Emery picks Robin Olsen in goal.

Keith_M
18-08-2023, 10:57 AM
...Put it this way, your hopes entirely rest upon if Emery picks Robin Olsen in goal. Fingers crossed, mate ;-)

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Not sure any of us Villa fans were that disappointed with this result we signed better players and had a huge winning streak. Only 3/4 of the 16 players who appeared for Villa in that game will play in the next 2 games hate to burst the bubble!

I hope you get pumped by the mighty hibees both home and away then it's a missive kick up the arse and you go on to win the league 😁

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately Villa haven't been in Europe for years, they might not go mental in the first leg, but IMO if the tie is in any danger they would chuck the kitchen sink at the 2nd leg. This competition might not be a big deal to the likes of Man United, Man City or Liverpool, but just look at the reaction of West Ham fans when they won it last season. On paper Villa are one of the biggest clubs, if not the biggest club, in the competition and they'll feel they have a realistic chance of winning it ... possibly even more so than the FA cup.

Clarence Beeks
18-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately Villa haven't been in Europe for years, they might not go mental in the first leg, but IMO if the tie is in any danger they would chuck the kitchen sink at the 2nd leg. This competition might not be a big deal to the likes of Man United, Man City or Liverpool, but just look at the reaction of West Ham fans when they won it last season. On paper Villa are one of the biggest clubs, if not the biggest club, in the competition and they'll feel they have a realistic chance of winning it ... possibly even more so than the FA cup.Spot on, this is not some unwanted distraction for us, we're massively hyped for being back in Europe. The atmosphere on the last day against Brighton to just qualify for it was like a cup final, SJM arse rolling the Brighton defenders to win a corner with the last kick of the game nearly took the roof off.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2023, 11:51 AM
Spot on, this is not some unwanted distraction for us, we're massively hyped for being back in Europe. The atmosphere on the last day against Brighton to just qualify for it was like a cup final, SJM arse rolling the Brighton defenders to win a corner with the last kick of the game nearly took the roof off.Nuff said lol. It's just a shame the game at Easter Road has such a stupid KO time. A packed Easter Road under the lights can be a special place and the atmosphere the home crowd can create if Hibs are giving it a go would be a real eye opener for some of the away fans in the ground, who not surprisingly will have been lead to believe Scottish football begins and ends with Glasgow's gruesome twosome.

Clarence Beeks
18-08-2023, 12:01 PM
Nuff said lol. It's just a shame the game at Easter Road has such a stupid KO time. A packed Easter Road under the lights can be a special place and the atmosphere the home crowd can create if Hibs are giving it a go would be a real eye opener for some of the away fans in the ground, who not surprisingly will have been lead to believe Scottish football begins and ends with Glasgow's gruesome twosome.It is a shame that, but it will still be rocking no doubt. And regarding the last line, not this one