PDA

View Full Version : Our Defence (not good enough)

Paul1642
13-08-2023, 04:26 PM
This is being discussed spread out over several threads right now and I feel it deserves one of its own. Today was pretty terrible all across the pitch, as was last weekend, but ultimately we have scored 3 goals and conceded 5 against St Mirren at home and Motherwell away. 3 goals should be at least enough to get a point if not 2 or 3 from those fixtures. When fully fit we have an attack who will score goals in most games.

The main problem with this squad right now is the defence and there isn’t a fixture coming up that we will keep a clean sheet in any time soon IMO. Our game plan can’t just be to score enough goals to negate those conceded.

The whole defence are honking right now. Lewis Miller gets pass marks today and was phenomenal on Thursday. I have more faith in Fish to return to form than Hanlon and Stevenson.

They should both be leading by example with their age, not conceding stupid goals through basic errors. This debate goes back and forwards every other week. We win and the Lewis / Hanlon fans find their voices. We loose and the criticism returns. This is not intended Stevenson and Hanlon bashing thread and the two don’t by any means come as a pair.

Something seriously needs to change though and fast. LJ needs to decide if Obita is a left back or a winger and if the former get in the transfer or loan market for a LB.

We have 4 CBs so I don’t see us bringing in another. If Harbottle is good enough then give him a chance. I’m still undecided on Rocky but he can’t do much worse.

Joe6-2
13-08-2023, 05:37 PM
This isn’t a recent problem, at least two/three seasons the defence has needed sorted out

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2023, 05:38 PM
Good teams are built from the back, we are not a good team.

LunasBoots
13-08-2023, 05:38 PM
Defence isn't looking great but neither is midfield and the lack of creativity or making something happen for our strikers

Joe6-2
13-08-2023, 05:39 PM
Defence isn't looking great but neither is midfield and the lack of creativity or making something happen for our strikers

I should have said midfield too

AL-Qaholik
13-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Hanlon, Stevenson, Marshall.
Fish hasn’t covered himself in glory this season but the other 3 are way past their sell by dates.
Useful players/personalities to have around the club but absolutely no way they should be starting every game at this point in their careers.
So long as they do, the cycle will continue.

Mikey_1875
13-08-2023, 05:58 PM
The two goals conceded today were pathetic. I think we are ok for centre backs providing we play a two but the full backs are a serious problem and we will be shoehorning people into different positions as we go until it is sorted.

Edina Street
13-08-2023, 06:36 PM
I did not want to say anything about it after the Luzern game and spoil the positive mood around Hibs.net after the match. However there were a few warning signs and alarm bells ringing for me after our great victory and superb attacking performance. (a) We were no better than Luzern during the first half. I was also concerned about this at the beginning of our match at home to Inter de Escaldes. We took a while to get into the match and Inter de Escaldes started brightly, and we only produced our wonderful victory after a moment of magic from a tremendous through ball from Joe Newell sent speedy Martin Boyle away whom managed to get the benefit of a slight error from their goalkeeper. I worried then about what might happen if we make such a slow start against St Mirren. (b) After Luzern equalised there was a good few heart in mouth moments when our defence was split open, relying on last ditch tackles and blocks, a moment at 2-1 when we were saved by our crossbar and post, and back to 1-1, there was a moment when had their striker been a bit more deadly, we would most definitely have been 2-1 down, and the atmosphere around Easter Road and Hibs.net would have been much different, and nobody would have been talking about our otherwise great performance, but instead concentrating on our poor defending. I was concerned then about what would happen if we showed those defensive frailties against Motherwell.

So yes, I do believe that we have some defensive concerns to address.

Real Emerald
13-08-2023, 06:47 PM
This is being discussed spread out over several threads right now and I feel it deserves one of its own. Today was pretty terrible all across the pitch, as was last weekend, but ultimately we have scored 3 goals and conceded 5 against St Mirren at home and Motherwell away. 3 goals should be at least enough to get a point if not 2 or 3 from those fixtures. When fully fit we have an attack who will score goals in most games.

The main problem with this squad right now is the defence and there isn’t a fixture coming up that we will keep a clean sheet in any time soon IMO. Our game plan can’t just be to score enough goals to negate those conceded.

The whole defence are honking right now. Lewis Miller gets pass marks today and was phenomenal on Thursday. I have more faith in Fish to return to form than Hanlon and Stevenson.

They should both be leading by example with their age, not conceding stupid goals through basic errors. This debate goes back and forwards every other week. We win and the Lewis / Hanlon fans find their voices. We loose and the criticism returns. This is not intended Stevenson and Hanlon bashing thread and the two don’t by any means come as a pair.

Something seriously needs to change though and fast. LJ needs to decide if Obita is a left back or a winger and if the former get in the transfer or loan market for a LB.

We have 4 CBs so I don’t see us bringing in another. If Harbottle is good enough then give him a chance. I’m still undecided on Rocky but he can’t do much worse.

We need a left back and a right back and Lewis Miller didn’t get pass marks for me, he was honking.

Hibees1973
13-08-2023, 06:48 PM
Defence is the most difficult part to get right.

If the foundation of the defence is not right, then it's never going to go well.

Stevenson for the first goal today and Hanlon for the 2nd were not good enough. Stevenson in particular was rag dolled for the first.

We have enough attacking players to score goals. Newell, Vente, Boyle and Youan are players who should do well in the SPFL

But our defence and defensive midfielders are not good enough. We have not recruited well in these positions and we will never get 3rd if they are not replaced.

mcohibs
13-08-2023, 06:51 PM
Stevenson bullied today for their first goal and same against Luzern on Thursday where they won a corner that led to the goal.

Problem is once he’s beat he doesn’t have the pace to make up for it.

Fish at fault again. Needs to screw the nut asap because he’s quickly becoming a liability.

Real Emerald
13-08-2023, 06:52 PM
Defence is the most difficult part to get right.

If the foundation of the defence is not right, then it's never going to go well.

Stevenson for the first goal today and Hanlon for the 2nd were not good enough. Stevenson in particular was rag dolled for the first.

We have enough attacking players to score goals. Newell, Vente, Boyle and Youan are players who should do well in the SPFL

But our defence and defensive midfielders are not good enough. We have not recruited well in these positions and we will never get 3rd if they are not replaced.

So Fish had nothing to do with the second goal then when he should have cleared it? He was fouled TBF and VAR should have ruled it out.

Stanton Spence
13-08-2023, 06:55 PM
We need a left back and a right back and Lewis Miller didn’t get pass marks for me, he was honking.

I can’t fault Lewis Miller for his commitment today or any other time he’s played but I agree with you that he wasn’t great and seems to run into trouble at times also doesn’t look like the quickest either and looks awkward at times. We need better and two decent full backs are sorely needed

B.H.F.C
13-08-2023, 06:55 PM
Stevenson bullied today for their first goal and same against Luzern on Thursday where they won a corner that led to the goal.

Problem is once he’s beat he doesn’t have the pace to make up for it.

Fish at fault again. Needs to screw the nut asap because he’s quickly becoming a liability.

Fish has had a very poor start since returning. Three games on the trot he’s been culpable at goals against for me.

We must surely sign a couple of full backs before the window closes.

Tambo
13-08-2023, 07:00 PM
Last season out weakness was not putting the ball in the net and I thought we were solid enough at the back despite a couple of big defeats to the old firm and hearts.

This season the defence has been our weakness, Lewis will bow out a Hibs legend but this season he has been woeful.

Constant chopping and changing at RB, Fish has had a few moments and our highly rated young LB has not had a sniff this season.

Brightside
13-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Paul Hanlon prob should retire tbh. If he’s getting blamed for that shambles today then hes got no chance. People are just making stuff up against him now. 😂

Real Emerald
13-08-2023, 07:17 PM
Paul Hanlon prob should retire tbh. If he’s getting blamed for that shambles today then hes got no chance. People are just making stuff up against him now. 😂

Yep, he wasn’t the worst CB in our team today and Stevenson wasn’t our worst FB. Paul McGinn is maybe not the best player in the world but he is a reliable right back who knows his job, no idea why we got rid of him.

random sub
13-08-2023, 07:26 PM
I’m more in the camp that it’s our midfield that’s the bigger problem but I sometimes wonder if it is the defence

Bostonhibby
13-08-2023, 07:27 PM
The motherwell centre back Mugabe seemed to win everything that came his way, it could be that us shelling him with the type of balls he laps up had something to do with it, but for me he is one of the better ones in Scotland and tailor made for the scottish game.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Since452
13-08-2023, 07:40 PM
Rocky back for the next league game at least. Comes straight in surely?

BoomtownHibees
13-08-2023, 07:42 PM
Rocky back for the next league game at least. Comes straight in surely?

Hope not

A Hi-Bee
13-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Our defence is just no very good. Mid is very iffy with a couple of good forwards, we are far from a good team, and the manager is mince.