PDA

View Full Version : Formation Bingo

Up-the-slope
09-08-2023, 04:53 PM
I have been generally supportive of the manager (and was also one of those who felt we parted with Jack Ross too early) and always think that time and stability can pay dividends...

I also liked when he talked about the press / playing on the front foot and that it came with risk of some set backs / defeats.

I have been fine with that up until now when for me there seemed some plan in the way we were trying to play (albeit with players in keys positions still needed)

but we seem to fallen over end of last season and thus far in the games played so far this season where the plan and system (what we are trying to do) is less than evident. I'm an advocate of either finding a system and way of playing that suits players you have... or if you are wedded to a particular system and way of playing then finding the players needed to make it work...

I'm now not sure we are doing either and it seems like system (and selection) is more like a game of bingo hoping we stumble on the winning numbers.

Sundays 4-3-3 left us with narrow midfield that also was devoid of the defensive cover required and full backs with no cover which St Mirren to their credit exploited (also my view is Josh Campbell is not as effective in this as if he does play the No.10 role then midfield is further over run). Hoofing the ball and hoping it stuck did not seem much of a plan when wingers so far away from Doidge to effectively flick on / lay off

The 3-5-2 (if that was what it was :confused:) we changed to was out of necessity as we were in a hole, but although we got better going forward it was obvious we were still far from secure at the back, partly as players were shoe horned into a system not all were comfortable with...

where does that leave us?... we have made significant changes on player front so we need to find a system quickly that makes the best of what we have... which might mean not playing the 'best' 11 players but the best players for each position in the formation that works.

I am far from convinced we will get away with 4-3-3 with a striker and 2 wingers in most SPL or Euro games as weekend proved.

If we do go 3-5-2 (either with 2 strikers of one of them in a more withdrawn 10) I might be inclined to use Boyle in the wing back role as he has shown he can do that well and this would allow numbers in midfield as well better combinations through the middle - but it looks like it would need more work on the training pitch and actually starting and selecting that way.

anyway i have rambled enough - i hope tomorrow night is not another Bingo selection - hastily re-arranged after 30 mins

eastmainsmsh
09-08-2023, 05:15 PM

Marshall
Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Youan

Doidge
Le Fondre

Clarence
09-08-2023, 05:17 PM
Lee will be using his app so we’ll just have to wait and see.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-lee-johnson-opens-up-on-his-secret-app-with-tips-and-tricks-from-pep-guardiola-and-jose-mourinho-3815499

ancient hibee
09-08-2023, 05:25 PM

Marshall
Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Youan

Doidge
Le Fondre

With the ball-good. Without the ball-toiling.

sauzeelegod
09-08-2023, 05:35 PM
352 for me

Marsh

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Levitt
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Boyle
Youan.

That’s a deadly front 2 for pace and getting in behind defences.
Vente, Doidge and Alf on the bench if needed too.

Up-the-slope
09-08-2023, 05:44 PM

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-lee-johnson-opens-up-on-his-secret-app-with-tips-and-tricks-from-pep-guardiola-and-jose-mourinho-3815499

hadn't seen that... almost beyond parody

Real Emerald
09-08-2023, 06:07 PM
I think our lack of an experienced right back and right wing back coupled with our right winger easing his way back after 10 months out gives us massive problems. He had to go 3 at the back on Sunday when he took Delferriere off as we really had no option, Boyle couldn’t run that wing himself so we were stuck. We desperately need a right back/wing back to stop this snooker move happening.

Edit: Our form really improved when we added CJ Egan-Riley at New Year. I know he’s out but that’s the sort of player option we need.

easty
09-08-2023, 08:24 PM

In what way?

I cannae really understand whats funny about the article?

Seems a pretty good idea to me.

Nicho87
09-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Marshall

Miller fish Hanlon Obita

Jeggo Newell

Boyle Levitt Youane

Vente

Keepthefaith
09-08-2023, 08:30 PM
I think our lack of an experienced right back and right wing back coupled with our right winger easing his way back after 10 months out gives us massive problems. He had to go 3 at the back on Sunday when he took Delferriere off as we really had no option, Boyle couldn’t run that wing himself so we were stuck. We desperately need a right back/wing back to stop this snooker move happening.

Edit: Our form really improved when we added CJ Egan-Riley at New Year. I know he’s out but that’s the sort of player option we need.

agree about cj Egan Riley - think we would def have looked to bring him back had he not been injured. solid ball playing defender with good feet - really hope we can get him back in jan. not sure when cadden is back, but think cj is a better option. only other alternative I can see is to give mega a chance rather than deferrier, thought he looked pretty good overall.

babahibs
09-08-2023, 09:14 PM
352 for me

Marsh

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Levitt
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Boyle
Youan.

I quite like the look of this,
Miller and Obita doing a shift, up and down the wings,
Jeggo sitting, Levitt providing the balls for Boyle and Youan,
looks fluid. can change shape if on or off the ball.

babahibs
09-08-2023, 09:18 PM
The above is with me knowing nothing about the opposition and how they play so may be completely wrong, looks good to me though with some very good options on the bench.

Clarence
09-08-2023, 09:24 PM
In what way?

When Lee gets snapped up by a bigger team do you think he should have all the intellectual property rights to the app or do you think Hibs should get a cut as well?

easty
09-08-2023, 09:26 PM
When Lee gets snapped up by a bigger team do you think he should have all the intellectual property rights to the app or do you think Hibs should get a cut as well?

I think he should have all the rights to it.

Unless there's a weird clause in his contract that says we own anything he creates when he works for us. I doubt that clause exists.

BoomtownHibees
09-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Marshall

Miller fish Hanlon Obita

Jeggo Newell

Boyle Levitt Youane

Vente

That would be my team

Clarence
09-08-2023, 09:31 PM
I think he should have all the rights to it.

Unless there's a weird clause in his contract that says we own anything he creates when he works for us. I doubt that clause exists.

Oh well. There goes that dream.

MagicSwirlingShip
09-08-2023, 09:58 PM

Marshall
Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Youan

Doidge
Le Fondre

This

BSEJVT
10-08-2023, 06:15 AM

LJ is a guy who takes himself way too seriously.

Some of that stuff is howling at the moon.

Maybe if he stopped all that **** and concentrated on identifying a playing system, signing players to play within it, coaching them to do so and selecting them consistently we would be better off.

I actually feel sorry for him it’s like he lives in a parallel universe where he is the messiah, light years ahead of everyone else and we are the dullards struggling to keep up.

Do your job man and stop fannying about with this app **** and being everyone’s favourite student.

All this from a guy who admitted he couldn’t manage the previously large group of players he had before the winter fire sale.

He is so far up his own arse he can’t see the wood for the trees.

JammyDoidger
10-08-2023, 06:24 AM
LJ is a guy who takes himself way too seriously.

Some of that stuff is howling at the moon.

Maybe if he stopped all that **** and concentrated on identifying a playing system, signing players to play within it, coaching them to do so and selecting them consistently we would be better off.

I actually feel sorry for him it’s like he lives in a parallel universe where he is the messiah, light years ahead of everyone else and we are the dullards struggling to keep up.

Do your job man and stop fannying about with this app **** and being everyone’s favourite student.

All this from a guy who admitted he couldn’t manage the previously large group of players he had before the winter fire sale.

He is so far up his own arse he can’t see the wood for the trees.

Never known any manager like it, he's like a wee sweetie wife, tells the press everything and anything he's thinking, as if he's been stuck in the house for weeks and just wants to talk to someone. Wind it in man and do what you're paid to do, win games of football.

h1bs4life
10-08-2023, 06:33 AM
352 for me

Marsh

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Levitt
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Boyle
Youan.

Like the look at that team but would have Vente in for Boyle. Big Martin Boyle fan but he is still coming back from major injury . ALF , Doidge and Boyle is a strong bench . Hanlon only in because not really another option.

Marsh

Fish
Rocky
Hanlon

Miller
Levitt
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Vente
Youan.

Up-the-slope
10-08-2023, 05:34 PM
I see the Bingo Button has been pressed again for Team...

Can only guess its 4-4-2... but could be 4-2-4... in fact could be anything

Up-the-slope
10-08-2023, 05:37 PM
In what way?

I guess its fine to gather as much from as many good coaches as possible and use to help form your own ideas - but the impression of it being on his phone so he can dial up a tactic or formation makes it sound a bit bonkers and made up on the hoof

JammyDoidger
10-08-2023, 09:20 PM
That shape has to stay. Levitt and newelll looked a partnership, the 2 strikers were superb, we just looked a lot better.

wookie70
10-08-2023, 10:36 PM
That shape has to stay. Levitt and newelll looked a partnership, the 2 strikers were superb, we just looked a lot better.

I'd play the same team as we started but drop Youan for Obita. Boyle doesn't look close to being fit and it looks like we have made the decision to play him into fitness. Hope that works

Hibee Mac
10-08-2023, 11:14 PM
I'd play the same team as we started but drop Youan for Obita. Boyle doesn't look close to being fit and it looks like we have made the decision to play him into fitness. Hope that worksWe need to be careful with Boyle, good to have Obita as an option assuming we continue to play 442 and Youan can play on the right

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

wookie70
10-08-2023, 11:31 PM
We need to be careful with Boyle, good to have Obita as an option assuming we continue to play 442 and Youan can play on the right

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk I'm surprised Boyle has played so much so hopefully the fitness team know what they are doing. Youan needs dropped for me. He almost looks like he is in the huff because he is no longer the right winger. I'll forgive plenty in Hibs players but laziness and selfishness are two failings I struggle to not criticise and he was exceptionally poor in tracking back tonight and far too often takes the wrong option to keep the ball himself. I can get his inexperience making his decision making so poor but every footballer understands you have a job off the ball and mates that need a hand and he simply puts little or no effort in at all.

1875Sean
10-08-2023, 11:38 PM

You going to admit he was spot on?

Greenio
10-08-2023, 11:39 PM

It could be the reason we won?

Silky
11-08-2023, 05:48 AM

Why? I found it quite interesting. I'd be keen to know what you find wrong with it?

Up-the-slope
11-08-2023, 07:17 AM
You going to admit he was spot on?

I am absolutely delighted with the result and the second half... but it does not take away from my (tongue in cheek in case some posters take these things too seriously:rolleyes:) the fact that we looked better when formation was shuffled and sub made.

If the bingo button comes up trumps in a run of 3 or 4 games and we see a shape / selection & results that have some consistency then of course all true Hibbies will be delighted - of course you have to have a plan B but generally a system where the squad can be used (and will be needed these next few weeks) and players slot in for rotation without the whole system gets shuffled every game

Up-the-slope
14-08-2023, 07:27 AM
3 or 4 games :rolleyes: i would take even 2 where the bingo balls rolled the right way

Up-the-slope
26-08-2023, 02:50 PM
Formation and selection Bingo still not coming up with the goods...

wonder what second half changes will bring

Vault Boy
26-08-2023, 02:57 PM
If he’s trying to make a point to the board, he’ll soon realise that the only point he’s made is how utterly useless he is as Hibs’ manager

neil7908
26-08-2023, 03:04 PM
If he’s trying to make a point to the board, he’ll soon realise that the only point he’s made is how utterly useless he is as Hibs’ manager

Maybe he knows he's done and just fancies the healthy pay off at this point?

Up-the-slope
26-08-2023, 03:30 PM
and the Bingo button pressed again ........