PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/brilliant evening.

linlithgowhibbie
08-08-2023, 10:03 PM
Went to the Linlithgow Rose v Bo'ness Utd match at Linlithgow tonight, what a game. Bo'ness winning 3-0 at half time and could have been more. The half time talk must have been something else for the Rose. Final score 5-3 for the Rose!!
Honestly watch it on the Rose u tube channel when it goes on. An absolute worldy goal to make it 3-3.

That was the brilliant part of the evening.

The interesting part was meeting 2 Luzerne FC fans who had flown into Edinburgh, googled for a footie match and paid £50 for a taxi to Linlithgow. Two really decent lads in their 20s who love footie, they loved the Rose game and couldn't believe they were 6th tier level.
I asked them about their fans and they expect about 200 but plenty Pyro as it is a big thing for them. They hated Djugarden home and away as their fans were "animals".
They told me they were going to Ibrox tomorrow for the game vs another Swiss team. Of course I gave them an unbiased view of how we view the currents!

Last funny point. The gave the barman a £10 for 2 pints of Tennants (£3.60 a pint) and told him to keep the change even when he refused it, credit to barman though as he came over with 2 whiskies and gave them to the lads then plonked a plate of sanwiches on our table for free. They were impressed alright.

08-08-2023, 10:09 PM
👍

Hope they have a great night tomorrow, a crap one on Thursday and are disappointed Rosenborg get through.

SteveHFC
09-08-2023, 06:33 AM
Went to the Linlithgow Rose v Bo'ness Utd match at Linlithgow tonight, what a game. Bo'ness winning 3-0 at half time and could have been more. The half time talk must have been something else for the Rose. Final score 5-3 for the Rose!!
Honestly watch it on the Rose u tube channel when it goes on. An absolute worldy goal to make it 3-3.

The interesting part was meeting 2 Luzerne FC fans who had flown into Edinburgh, googled for a footie match and paid £50 for a taxi to Linlithgow. Two really decent lads in their 20s who love footie, they loved the Rose game and couldn't believe they were 6th tier level.
I asked them about their fans and they expect about 200 but plenty Pyro as it is a big thing for them. They hated Djugarden home and away as their fans were "animals".
They told me they were going to Ibrox tomorrow for the game vs another Swiss team. Of course I gave them an unbiased view of how we view the currents!

Last funny point. The gave the barman a £10 for 2 pints of Tennants (£3.60 a pint) and told him to keep the change even when he refused it, credit to barman though as he came over with 2 whiskies and gave them to the lads then plonked a plate of sanwiches on our table for free. They were impressed alright.

Boness no.5 is a big lad

JimBHibees
09-08-2023, 06:38 AM

Thanks for sharing

Hibby Mike
09-08-2023, 06:58 AM
I've had great exeperiences watching lower league games. I moved to Tranent a few years back and often went along to Tranent Junior matches following them as they got promoted to the Scottish Lowland League. Often see one or two former Hibs players at the match, Keith Wright for instance. Great atmosphere, pies are good, value for money overall and you can slip in a tinny or two descretely without hassle. 👍

Bridge hibs
09-08-2023, 07:20 AM
I've had great exeperiences watching lower league games. I moved to Tranent a few years back and often went along to Tranent Junior matches following them as they got promoted to the Scottish Lowland League. Often see one or two former Hibs players at the match, Keith Wright for instance. Great atmosphere, pies are good, value for money overall and you can slip in a tinny or two descretely without hassle. 👍

I knew Paul MacGregor Tranent Fc Secretary, a hibby too. Wonder how James Keatings is doing for them

Pretty Boy
09-08-2023, 07:56 AM
I knew Paul MacGregor Tranent Fc Secretary, a hibby too. Wonder how James Keatings is doing for them

They parted ways at the end of last season. He didn't really set the heather on fire. It was a strange season all round for Tranent, with Callum Elliot walking so early then they dropped a lot of silly points approaching the business end just as both Spartans and Stirling Uni went on really good runs. I think they will do OK this year albeit it will be very competitive at the top.

To echo another couple of points above I really love non league football. Was up at Thornton Hibs for a friendly a couple weeks back, £3.20 a pint in the pub across the road, £4 to get in and £1.20 for a pie. Quality is variable obviously but it's usually cheap to get in and you encounter guys and girls, be they selling raffle tickets, serving pies, taking admission money or sweeping the floors, who are just doing it for the love of their clubs and the love of grassroots football. Most clubs will have someone who will go out of their way to talk to you and make you feel welcome because they are proud of their clubs and want to sell them. It's also nice as you can see exactly where your fiver or whatever goes. I'd highly recommend Civil Service Strollers or Preston for a day out. Both great clubs with nice set ups.

The barman at Linlithgow sounds like he has cheered up a bit mind you. Last time I was through he got the hump with me because I committed the mortal sin of carrying 2 pints without a tray:greengrin

Bridge hibs
09-08-2023, 08:18 AM
They parted ways at the end of last season. He didn't really set the heather on fire. It was a strange season all round for Tranent, with Callum Elliot walking so early then they dropped a lot of silly points approaching the business end just as both Spartans and Stirling Uni went on really good runs. I think they will do OK this year albeit it will be very competitive at the top.

To echo another couple of points above I really love non league football. Was up at Thornton Hibs for a friendly a couple weeks back, £3.20 a pint in the pub across the road, £4 to get in and £1.20 for a pie. Quality is variable obviously but it's usually cheap to get in and you encounter guys and girls, be they selling raffle tickets, serving pies, taking admission money or sweeping the floors, who are just doing it for the love of their clubs and the love of grassroots football. Most clubs will have someone who will go out of their way to talk to you and make you feel welcome because they are proud of their clubs and want to sell them. It's also nice as you can see exactly where your fiver or whatever goes. I'd highly recommend Civil Service Strollers or Preston for a day out. Both great clubs with nice set ups.

The barman at Linlithgow sounds like he has cheered up a bit mind you. Last time I was through he got the hump with me because I committed the mortal sin of carrying 2 pints without a tray:greengrin

Cheers for that PB, I never knew that, I remember reading the story around the time MacGregor was appointed, Keating signed as did Jordon Forster but he was emptied without playing a game due to domestic issues

Im going to try to pay into a Musselburgh Athletic game as my views have been partially obscured since they built that new ****ing fence behind the goal 🤣

linlithgowhibbie
09-08-2023, 09:57 AM
Aye PB that would be Davie the head steward, wasn't him that was involved although he did tell me to grab a tray too!

CockneyRebel
09-08-2023, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=linlithgowhibbie;7419459]Went to the Linlithgow Rose v Bo'ness Utd match at Linlithgow tonight, what a game. Bo'ness winning 3-0 at half time and could have been more. The half time talk must have been something else for the Rose. Final score 5-3 for the Rose!!

Goalkeepers a bit iffy overcompensating on defending their near post but an exciting game and some terrific goals.

Fuzzywuzzy
09-08-2023, 10:35 AM
I really enjoy visiting prestonfield. Normally made all the better by the amazing pies!!!

Always mean to take in one of the hospitality options for the matches.

Big season for linlithgow after promotion. Bo'ness weren't brilliant last season so will be good to see them doing well this season.

Was there a big crowd for this local derby? Always like to think there would be and gutted to have missed it

Carheenlea
09-08-2023, 10:50 AM
You tend not to think of supporters of our opponents who have to travel to Edinburgh during peak festival season where rooms must be in short supply - I wonder where 200 odd flying in for a couple of nights are basing themselves? Given how many flights come into Edinburgh the travel side must make it quite appealing and the added bonus of a vibrant city with plenty to see and a stadium a 15 minute walk from City Centre.

Be great if we could draw ourselves!

lyonhibs
09-08-2023, 10:52 AM
You tend not to think of supporters of our opponents who have to travel to Edinburgh during peak festival season where rooms must be in short supply - I wonder where 200 odd flying in for a couple of nights are basing themselves? Given how many flights come into Edinburgh the travel side must make it quite appealing and the added bonus of a vibrant city with plenty to see and a stadium a 15 minute walk from City Centre.

We'd still find a way of making nail biting drama of a game against ourselves 😅

Waxy
09-08-2023, 11:19 AM

Was it not Bo’ness athletic?

wallpaperman
09-08-2023, 11:22 AM
I really enjoy visiting prestonfield. Normally made all the better by the amazing pies!!!

Always mean to take in one of the hospitality options for the matches.

Big season for linlithgow after promotion. Bo'ness weren't brilliant last season so will be good to see them doing well this season.

Was there a big crowd for this local derby? Always like to think there would be and gutted to have missed it

Just a small, but rather important point.

It wasn’t Bo’ness United (of the Lowland League) that Linlithgow were playing it was Bo’ness Athletic who are a couple of tiers below the Lowland League.

Both teams play at Newtown park and both play in blue though. I think there is a little animosity between the clubs from what I can gather (maybe more so on the Utd side).

HibbyKeith
09-08-2023, 11:30 AM
#7 knows where the net is. 4 very good and very different goals.

Would never have just stumbled across that, so thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Kato
09-08-2023, 11:38 AM
I think there is a little animosity between the clubs from what I can gather (maybe more so on the Utd side).

Animosity? In West Lothian?

Never.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Fuzzywuzzy
09-08-2023, 12:08 PM

Sure they played athletic in a pre-season. Utd was the league

andrew70
09-08-2023, 12:32 PM

Yes, it was.

JimBHibees
09-08-2023, 12:55 PM
Animosity? In West Lothian?

Never.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Is Bo’ness in West Lothian?

Fuzzywuzzy
09-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Just a small, but rather important point.

It wasn’t Bo’ness United (of the Lowland League) that Linlithgow were playing it was Bo’ness Athletic who are a couple of tiers below the Lowland League.

Both teams play at Newtown park and both play in blue though. I think there is a little animosity between the clubs from what I can gather (maybe more so on the Utd side).

Ahhh right. I had seen they were playing athletic but thought it had happened in July!!!

Hillsidehibby
09-08-2023, 01:30 PM
Is Bo’ness in West Lothian?

Used to be. Falkirk and Stirlingshire now

linlithgowhibbie
09-08-2023, 09:51 PM
Apoligies everyone, it was indeed Bo'ness Athletic not Bo'ness United. As an aside Bo'ness Athletic used to be Linlithgow Athletic but moved to Bo'ness to use their artificial pitch, they then changed their name much to the annoyance of many Linlithgow footie folk.

Crowd wasn't as big as usual Rose Vs BUs matches but busy enough.:thumbsup:

Stubbsy90+2
09-08-2023, 10:02 PM

I was actually saying the other day that Easter Road must be by an absolute country mile the best away day in Scotland, potentially even the whole of Britain.

Off the train at Waverley, right into the centre of the capital city, pub after pub after pub on the way to the stadium, loads of food options from Bonnie & Wilde in SJQ, about ten further restaurants in SJQ, Edinburgh Street Food, loads of cafes etc down Leith Walk, tram down to the shore etc., gritty pubs, nice pubs, bars etc. Off the top of my head there isn’t anywhere that comes close.

JimBHibees
10-08-2023, 07:38 AM
Used to be. Falkirk and Stirlingshire now

Kind of what I thought. Used to coach a youth team from West Lothian for a few years and were never any Bo'ness teams in them.

flash
10-08-2023, 07:40 AM
I was actually saying the other day that Easter Road must be by an absolute country mile the best away day in Scotland, potentially even the whole of Britain.

Off the train at Waverley, right into the centre of the capital city, pub after pub after pub on the way to the stadium, loads of food options from Bonnie & Wilde in SJQ, about ten further restaurants in SJQ, Edinburgh Street Food, loads of cafes etc down Leith Walk, tram down to the shore etc., gritty pubs, nice pubs, bars etc. Off the top of my head there isn’t anywhere that comes close.

We even throw in 3 points on far too many occasions!

Stubbsy90+2
10-08-2023, 07:49 AM

I was hesitant to say that :greengrin

JimBHibees
10-08-2023, 08:21 AM

The perfect day for away fans :greengrin

Hermit Crab
10-08-2023, 08:29 AM

Absolutely not mate imo. Blackpool and Newcastle for starters.

Stubbsy90+2
10-08-2023, 08:39 AM

Blackpool is a hell hole imo.

Never been to Newcastle for the football.

flash
10-08-2023, 08:47 AM

Newcastle possibly but Blackpool????