PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hart and the 'Bristol butchers'

He's here!
08-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Butchers, Bristol, and oversized bottles of sherry: Hibs' eventful Anglo-Scottish Cup run of 1977 | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com) (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/butchers-bristol-and-oversized-bottles-of-sherry-hibs-eventful-anglo-scottish-cup-run-of-1977-3063107)

With a lot of chat around us potentially facing Aston Villa in Europe I spotted this story about what was (I think) the last time we faced an English club in an official tournament (a great deal less glamorous than our European clash with Liverpool the previous year!).

Anyone attend either of these games against Bristol City? It's a long slog to get to Bristol from Edinburgh so anyone who made that trip must have been pretty dedicated.

Hibbyradge
08-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Butchers, Bristol, and oversized bottles of sherry: Hibs' eventful Anglo-Scottish Cup run of 1977 | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com) (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/butchers-bristol-and-oversized-bottles-of-sherry-hibs-eventful-anglo-scottish-cup-run-of-1977-3063107)

With a lot of chat around us potentially facing Aston Villa in Europe I spotted this story about what was (I think) the last time we faced an English club in an official tournament (a great deal less glamorous than our European clash with Liverpool the previous year!).

Anyone attend either of these games against Bristol City? It's a long slog to get to Bristol from Edinburgh so anyone who made that trip must have been pretty dedicated.

I was at both of them games against Blackburn Rovers but only the home one v Bristol City.

I remember Cormack playing for them, but I don't remember the sending off, and the aftermath must have passed me by because I have no recollection of threats to withdraw etc.

Age, man...

He's here!
08-08-2023, 10:46 AM
I was at both of them games against Blackburn Rovers but only the home one v Bristol City.

I remember Cormack playing for them, but I don't remember the sending off, and the aftermath must have passed me by because I have no recollection of threats to withdraw etc.

Age, man...

Can't find any footage of Hibs in the competition (though I definitely recall seeing highlights of us playing, possibly on a midweek Sportscene), but this Bristol City fans forum has the goals from St Mirren beating Bristol City in the 1980 final if you scroll down. The article claims fans were disinterested in the competition but the crowd at Love Street looks very healthy:

'Bristol Butchers' win against Hibs in Anglo-Scottish Cup - Football Chat - One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums (otib.co.uk) (https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/216377-bristol-butchers-win-against-hibs-in-anglo-scottish-cup/)

Hiber-nation
08-08-2023, 10:47 AM
I was in the North Enclosure when Peter got sent off and he was absolutely devastated. It was sad to see him resorting to the Hunter tactics of kicking everything that moved.

Keith_M
08-08-2023, 11:21 AM
I was very young when these games were played* but I remember there was a distinct lack of interest in this competition and it didn't last long.

* Going by the age I claim to be now, I was roughly 6 months old at the time ;-)

He's here!
08-08-2023, 11:47 AM

Age, man...

https://football-programmes.net/programmes/1977-78/76152-md.jpg

He's here!
08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
I was very young when these games were played* but I remember there was a distinct lack of interest in this competition and it didn't last long.

* Going by the age I claim to be now, I was roughly 6 months old at the time ;-)

As the article explains, the Anglo-Scottish Cup was the successor to the Texaco Cup, the latter being the preserve of the Jambos who were taking on the likes of Airdrie and Burnley while the Tornadoes were mixing it with Europe's elite.

Keith_M
08-08-2023, 11:53 AM
As the article explains, the Anglo-Scottish Cup was the successor to the Texaco Cup, the latter being the preserve of the Jambos who were taking on the likes of Airdrie and Burnley while the Tornadoes were mixing it with Europe's elite.

:aok:

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2023, 11:58 AM
We were at all the games in that tournament, but to be perfectly honest i cant remember any of them.

Went to Bristol on the bus, could have been Edinburgh West?

darwenhibby
08-08-2023, 12:12 PM
We were at all the games in that tournament, but to be perfectly honest i cant remember any of them.

Went to Bristol on the bus, could have been Edinburgh West?

U canny eve remember the last Blackpool away game 🤭😉

He's here!
08-08-2023, 12:44 PM
1977 BRISTOL CITY V HIBERNIAN HIBS ANGLO SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL PROGRAMME VGC | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203763453458)

You can flick open and magnify the pages of programme. The Hibs pages are quite interesting, reflecting on the decline both on and off the pitch since Stanton's move to Celtic.

I also note Ally Brazil is officially listed as Benny Brazil!

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2023, 01:26 PM
U canny eve remember the last Blackpool away game 🤭😉

I remember the match, the night not so much. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-08-2023, 01:32 PM
I remember the match, the night not so much. :greengrin

I've still not received that leftover kebab yet! 🥴🥙

monarch
05-12-2023, 01:49 PM
It was a Texaco cup match played in the late seventies between Hibs and Bristol City. Norman Hunter and Peter Cormack, both playing for Bristol, were red carded.

heretoday
06-12-2023, 10:41 AM
I think Terry Cooper was with Bristol as well. No wonder they played it hard.

surreyhibbie
07-12-2023, 01:57 PM
It was a Texaco cup match played in the late seventies between Hibs and Bristol City. Norman Hunter and Peter Cormack, both playing for Bristol, were red carded.

I was at the home match. They kicked us all over the place.

Tom Hart definitely threatened to withdraw before the second leg. I remember it well...

WoreTheGreen
07-12-2023, 02:05 PM
Was there a player Gerry Gow kicked everything that moved
I think he even kicked his own shadow

CropleyWasGod
07-12-2023, 02:13 PM
Was there a player Gerry Gow kicked everything that moved
I think he even kicked his own shadow

Yep. Came from Morton.(edit.. he didny . That was Gerry Sweeney)

IIRC, he should have been sent off as well. Went over the ball on someone (Edit...Ally Macleod), whose "ooyah" could be heard at the top of the terracing :greengrin

Obituary here :-

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituary-gerry-gow-footballer-1464698?r=5551

DroitwichHibs
07-12-2023, 04:14 PM

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think by then it was called the Anglo- Scottish Cup. Bristol City were a disgrace. Peter Cormack I recall may have involved with a supporter near the tunnel if I recall.

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think by then it was called the Anglo- Scottish Cup. Bristol City were a disgrace. Peter Cormack I recall may have involved with a supporter near the tunnel if I recall.

It was indeed.
Hibs,unlike our not so noisy neighbours, had not taken part in the Texaco Cup.
Mostly because we were regulars in Europe at the time,:greengrin
but we did feature twice in the new tournament. (Anglo-Scottish)

tamig
08-12-2023, 10:24 PM
Yep. Came from Morton.(edit.. he didny . That was Gerry Sweeney)

IIRC, he should have been sent off as well. Went over the ball on someone (Edit...Ally Macleod), whose "ooyah" could be heard at the top of the terracing :greengrin

Obituary here :-

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituary-gerry-gow-footballer-1464698?r=5551

I remember Gerry Gow. Pretty poor from the Scotsman getting his DOB wrong there. He must have been in his early teens when I used to watch him 🙄

CB Hibs 68
10-12-2023, 06:22 PM

Not pedantic.Simply correct.Texaco cup was for teams not good enough to qualify for Europe .Hearts for example.AngloScottish was the same and was a reflection of where we were at that time.No real interest in watching Bristol City when no that long before we were playing Liverpool