PDA

View Full Version : Long sleeves on football shirts?

He's here!
05-08-2023, 01:05 PM
When did this stop becoming a thing/option for players? IMO one of the integral beauties of the Hibs shirt was its long white sleeves. The aesthetic joy of the Tornadoes shirt in particular would have been significantly diluted without them.

Players opting for long sleeves these days seem to have to go with an undershirt.

Lancs Harp
05-08-2023, 01:07 PM
Probably changed as long a go as the 80s. Was long sleeved shirts growing up in the 70s.

Lago
05-08-2023, 01:10 PM
When did this stop becoming a thing/option for players? IMO one of the integral beauties of the Hibs shirt was its long white sleeves. The aesthetic joy of the Tornadoes shirt in particular would have been significantly diluted without them.

Players opting for long sleeves these days seem to have to go with an undershirt.
Loved long sleeves, elegant

hibs4life
05-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Also, for the replica shirts, for me and with the Scottish climate, long sleeved versions are much preferable.

Lancs Harp
05-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Plus you had something tangible to wipe your running nose on.

Pretty Boy
05-08-2023, 01:30 PM
Would Russell Latapy's volley have looked as good if he was wearing short sleeves?

I rest my case.

Glory Lurker
05-08-2023, 01:33 PM
Would Russell Latapy's volley have looked as good if he was wearing short sleeves?

I rest my case.

Archibald at tiny, too

hibstag
05-08-2023, 01:34 PM
Also, for the replica shirts, for me and with the Scottish climate, long sleeved versions are much preferable.

Always wanted one for years finally got the strip from mowbrays first season in sports direct long sleeved. The weird sizing of macron joma supplier mean hugely long arms so onto Short sleeves now, Adidas seem to have stopped doing a LS option for Scotland.maybe just not a thing anymore

He's here!
05-08-2023, 01:46 PM
Probably changed as long a go as the 80s. Was long sleeved shirts growing up in the 70s.

Short sleeves came in long before that (possibly the late 50s) but even until quite recently players had the option of a long sleeved shirt. They just don't seem to exist at all now.

He's here!
05-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Archibald at tiny, too

The entire 7-0 game.

George Best in both the long-sleeved Man U shirt with white cuffs plus the N Ireland shirt.

Irish_Steve
05-08-2023, 02:23 PM
Short sleeves but then some need to wear gloves - go figure!

superfurryhibby
05-08-2023, 03:47 PM
Short sleeves came in long before that (possibly the late 50s) but even until quite recently players had the option of a long sleeved shirt. They just don't seem to exist at all now.

There's certainly \Hibs photos from the early 60's with players wearing short sleeves but I think it became much more commonplace in the 80's and by the end of the 90's hardly anyone wore long sleeved tops. |Memory might be wrong (often is), but I don't remember short sleeved tops in the 70's.

Football fashion. Is it not time we got bsck to wearing short shorts.

The socks as hold-up stocking look, as sported by Boyle, imagine running out like that in the 70's or 80's.........

He's here!
05-08-2023, 04:35 PM
There's certainly \Hibs photos from the early 60's with players wearing short sleeves but I think it became much more commonplace in the 80's and by the end of the 90's hardly anyone wore long sleeved tops. |Memory might be wrong (often is), but I don't remember short sleeved tops in the 70's.

Football fashion. Is it not time we got bsck to wearing short shorts.

The socks as hold-up stocking look, as sported by Boyle, imagine running out like that in the 70's or 80's.........

Pretty sure the Scotland '78 World Cup squad wore short sleeves but yes, the more regular short sleeves became more of a thing in the 80s. As Pretty Boy pointed out tho some Hibs players were still opting for long sleeves in the early 2000s.