PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback/Captain

wookie70
30-07-2023, 12:52 PM
I just finished watching the Netflix series Quarterback. Not watched much American Football since it used to be a mainstay on terrestrial TV but the series was a fantastic insight into a player's role and position. In terms of Hibs I think we miss a Quarterback. The comments from pundits about identity relate to this as we don't seem to have a focal point to our play. We need someone like McGregor at Celtc who orchestrates play and is the heartbeat of the team. They would need to have the respect of players, be in the middle of the park and have the desire to win both in terms of words and actions. Joe Newell is the closest we have but I'm not sure he fits the bill completely. Levitt could turn out to be the player in terms of starting moves but I haven't seen that Captain type quality from him yet. Perhaps in proper football you need a couple of players to form the Quarterback role.

ancient hibee
30-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Nothing new in football is there? Back in the 1950s Hearts were an attractive sort of team that didn’t really do anything.Brought in Mackay and Cumming and in a couple of seasons were the best team in the country. Our failure to bring in someone who can run the team/game is the reason we struggle for any consistency.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-07-2023, 04:34 PM
For all we hear from LJ and others - let’s give Brian his opportunity - talk about the importance of character we half have t struggled in that dept since the Cup Win.

we’ve proved through our recruitment (pre Omni-shambles) it is possible to recruit players with the right character within budget - Mcgeogh McGinn, Fyvie, McGregor, Keatings, Cummings.

wtf we’re we doing moving away from that principle - desire and character over stats every time.

Paul1642
30-07-2023, 04:42 PM
Sounds like an American way of describing a good playmaker.

Unfortunately good ones are few and far between at our level and don’t come cheap.

Eyrie
30-07-2023, 07:44 PM
Sounds like an American way of describing a good playmaker.

Unfortunately good ones are few and far between at our level and don’t come cheap.

It's a reference to the position in American football which is key to the offense. Sadly we have no chance of getting the football equivalent of Mahomes or Hurts at Hibs.