PDA

View Full Version : Hibs team for European game

Donegal Hibby
26-07-2023, 11:12 PM
Marshall is starting as number no.1 and both Newell and Miller are back in contention for a place as well according to this article I read . Apologies if someone else normally does this thread btw . Just curious to what team you'd pick for this one👍.
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/martin-boyle-drafted-into-hibs-squad-as-vibes-manager-for-match-against-andorrans-4233554

andrew70
26-07-2023, 11:18 PM
Marshall
Miller Rocky Hanlon Lewy
JDH Levitt Newell
Youan ALF Rudi

B.H.F.C
26-07-2023, 11:31 PM
Marshal (would rather Wollacott)

Miller
Rocky (would rather Harbottle)
Hanlon
Stevenson

Levitt
JDH or Newell
Campbell

Youan
Le Fondre
???

With lack of forward options, and talk of the narrow pitch, wonder if we might go with a narrow midfield and two up top instead of the usual shape.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2023, 12:24 AM
Marshal (would rather Wollacott)

Miller
Rocky (would rather Harbottle)
Hanlon
Stevenson

Levitt
JDH or Newell
Campbell

Youan
Le Fondre
???

With lack of forward options, and talk of the narrow pitch, wonder if we might go with a narrow midfield and two up top instead of the usual shape.

After a pish 20 minutes on Friday where nobody in the team got pass marks, apart from maybe ALF for his tireless closing down with absolutely no support, Rocky went on to have a fine game completely shutting down last seasons man of the moment Kevin Van Veen. Harbottle came on for what, about 10 minutes, and in that time apart from giving everybody the chance to go 'wow that guy's a unit' the only other thing he really did was launch into a head high challenge from behind that would have been a foul all day long in the league.

I'm not having a go at Harbottle by the way, he might turn out to be a great signing in the fullness of time, but how the evidence of Friday night, the only time any of us have seen him play, makes him a starter ahead of Rocky for tomorrow evening is beyond me :dunno:

Forza Fred
27-07-2023, 04:46 AM
Marshall

Miller Rocky Hanlon Stevenson

Levitt Newell Campbell

Le Fondre Doidge Youan

Dmas
27-07-2023, 05:41 AM
Take it going by these teams that Obita is defo out, anyone know what’s up with him? Can’t say I’ve seen any info on if he’s out long term or what, looked impressive in the game V’s Europa would be good to have him back for home leg and St.Mirren

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 06:42 AM
I watched our opponents in their last game, they are a big physically team, with very little football.
For this reason i would go with rocky and Miller in defence.
However Miller only lasted 30 minutes on saturday morning, so suspect he won’t play 90 minutes.
Harbottle doesn’t have enough game time to start this one.

neil7908
27-07-2023, 06:51 AM
Marshall
Miller Rocky Hanlon Lewy
JDH Levitt Newell
Youan ALF Rudi

Looking at this line up, it puzzles me that lots on here think we have done great business this summer and nearly have a complete squad.

This is our first competitive game of the season and GK and midfield are the only two areas of the pitch we look about right.

In attack we are woefully short. No first choice ST and very little cover out wide. An awful lot is riding on Boyle being fully fit this year - that's a pretty big gamble imo.

In defence, Lewis is once again starting the campaign at LB, we have no cover at RB, and still need a first choice CB to play next to Hanlon.

Yes it'll probably be enough to get through this round but we need at least 4 players in quickly.

Hibernian Verse
27-07-2023, 06:53 AM
Marshall
Miller Rocky Hanlon Lewy
JDH Levitt Newell
Youan ALF Rudi

That's it for me, although I think Campbell might start ahead of Rudi on the left.

Hibby Kay-Yay
27-07-2023, 06:57 AM
Take it going by these teams that Obita is defo out, anyone know what’s up with him? Can’t say I’ve seen any info on if he’s out long term or what, looked impressive in the game V’s Europa would be good to have him back for home leg and St.Mirren

He has a muscle tear which was likened to a similar tear you might have on a chicken skin (interview with LJ) and said all it needs is just time. Could be in contention for next week.

My team would be:

Wollacot

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Campbell
Levitt
JDH

Melkerson
ALF
Youan

Nicho87
27-07-2023, 06:57 AM
Marshall
Miller Rocky Hanlon Lewis
JDH Levitt newell
Campbell
Youan ALF

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2023, 06:58 AM
Unleash The Doidge!

Might be a game for Dan Mackay looked sharp in the Cup Final and scored here last time

Who is Rudi ?

7Hero
27-07-2023, 07:08 AM
Looking at this line up, it puzzles me that lots on here think we have done great business this summer and nearly have a complete squad.

I agree, we are almost facing the same issue we had before with lack of quality players.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 07:09 AM
Unleash The Doidge!

Might be a game for Dan Mackay looked sharp in the Cup Final and scored here last time

Who is Rudi ?

The young laddie from the under 18s that’s hard to spell correctly, so fans call him Rudi 😄

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2023, 07:10 AM
The young laddie from the under 18s that’s hard to spell correctly, so fans call him Rudi 😄

👍

HendoDelivered
Marsh

Miller
Harbottle
Hanlon
Stevenson

Levitt
Newell
JDH

Mackay
Doidge
Youan

Hibbyradge

This is our first competitive game of the season and GK and midfield are the only two areas of the pitch we look about right.

In attack we are woefully short. No first choice ST and very little cover out wide. An awful lot is riding on Boyle being fully fit this year - that's a pretty big gamble imo.

In defence, Lewis is once again starting the campaign at LB, we have no cover at RB, and still need a first choice CB to play next to Hanlon.

Yes it'll probably be enough to get through this round but we need at least 4 players in quickly.

People are including Harbottle, Obita and Fish in their assessment.

Add them into the equation and it's really only up top we need to address.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 07:13 AM
Marshall is an ex international, with bags of experience, his best days are behind him yes, but you wouldn’t be putting on an inexperienced goalie like Wollacott.
Hard hat on , but he doesn’t look particularly great either.

Allant1981
27-07-2023, 07:22 AM
Marshall is an ex international, with bags of experience, his best days are behind him yes, but you wouldn’t be putting on an inexperienced goalie like Wollacott.

Played 11 times for his country in the last 2 years, think he will be fine against a team from andorra

B.H.F.C
27-07-2023, 07:26 AM
People are including Harbottle, Obita and Fish in their assessment.

Add them into the equation and it's really only up top we need to address.

And the return of Boyle.

Think having a bit continuity is being under estimated. With the exception of a spell in March we looked like a team going in the right direction in the second half of last season. Managing to keep that together, with the obvious exception of Nisbet, is important IMO. We’re no perfect, far from it but I’d say we’ve strengthened the other areas of the team. All falls down if we don’t get it right up front though so we need to get that sorted out ASAP.

Allant1981
27-07-2023, 07:29 AM
Think the team that started against groningen will be very close to the team that starts tonight, I'd possibly swap molotnikov and put in mackay or melersen

Hibernian Verse
27-07-2023, 07:29 AM

Only the 53 first team appearances in the last 2 years, plus 11 international caps. Inexperienced.

supermcginn
27-07-2023, 07:31 AM

I wouldn't call a guy with 11 caps for quite a strong nation such as Ghana and who has played over a hundred league games in England as inexperienced. It is very strange though that Marshall has been stripped of the captaincy yet is still going to be first choice.

number9dream
27-07-2023, 07:35 AM
Marsh

Miller
Harbottle
Hanlon
Stevenson

Levitt
Newell
JDH

Mackay
Doidge
Youan

Rocky instead of Hardbottle, who’s just in the door. Campbell provides way more attacking threat than JDH, who could play deeper if Joe isn’t fully fit.
Doidge will be handy defending set-pieces if the home team is full of giants.
MacKay hasn’t had much game time pre season but seems the obvious solution unless LJ just doesn’t see a future for him.

1van Sprou7e
27-07-2023, 07:39 AM
Campbell has t start surely, need goalscorers

Brightside
27-07-2023, 07:41 AM

Tbf it’s his name. 😂. Molotnikov. Fun fact. His dad is a film director (Merlin. DrWho etc) and he makes a cracking lentil soup.

CallumLaidlaw
27-07-2023, 07:46 AM
Funny we seem to cry out for our youngsters to get given a chance. Looks like Megwa & Molotnikov are going to be given that, yet folk then want to discount them.
We don’t have the budget to just go out and buy top quality back ups.

With Cadden out injured, Miller will get his chance, Megwa will be backup and Campbell can cover if needed.

With Fish we have 4 centre halves.

Obita will be first choice once fit again.

Boyle will come in as will a number 9 which will give us a first choice front 3. Molotnikov, Dan Mackay (think he’ll be decent for us this season) will provide backup but I would like to see one more.

I’m sure if we can get the likes of Henderson and Doidge out the door we’ll see the extra winger come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
27-07-2023, 07:50 AM
After a pish 20 minutes on Friday where nobody in the team got pass marks, apart from maybe ALF for his tireless closing down with absolutely no support, Rocky went on to have a fine game completely shutting down last seasons man of the moment Kevin Van Veen. Harbottle came on for what, about 10 minutes, and in that time apart from giving everybody the chance to go 'wow that guy's a unit' the only other thing he really did was launch into a head high challenge from behind that would have been a foul all day long in the league.

I'm not having a go at Harbottle by the way, he might turn out to be a great signing in the fullness of time, but how the evidence of Friday night, the only time any of us have seen him play, makes him a starter ahead of Rocky for tomorrow evening is beyond me :dunno:

Think it’s probably more the case that we have seen Rocky play and so people would rather see how Harbottle goes.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't call a guy with 11 caps for quite a strong nation such as Ghana and who has played over a hundred league games in England as inexperienced. It is very strange though that Marshall has been stripped of the captaincy yet is still going to be first choice.

I take your point .👍🏻
However i’ve watched him against FC Edinburgh, Dunbar, Berwick, and Gibraltar Team, and i haven’t seen anything, that made me think he’s a better option than Marshall.

Stubbsy90+2
27-07-2023, 08:03 AM
Funny we seem to cry out for our youngsters to get given a chance. Looks like Megwa & Molotnikov are going to be given that, yet folk then want to discount them.
We don’t have the budget to just go out and buy top quality back ups.

With Cadden out injured, Miller will get his chance, Megwa will be backup and Campbell can cover if needed.

With Fish we have 4 centre halves.

Obita will be first choice once fit again.

Boyle will come in as will a number 9 which will give us a first choice front 3. Molotnikov, Dan Mackay (think he’ll be decent for us this season) will provide backup but I would like to see one more.

I’m sure if we can get the likes of Henderson and Doidge out the door we’ll see the extra winger come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I’ve seen of the young guys they’re not ready to make the step up.

Miller - Megwa - a completely out of position Campbell isn’t enough imo. Megwa isn’t ready for this level yet from what I’ve seen so I wouldn’t class having a guy who plays as more of an attacking midfielder as our only adequate back up to Miller as enough.

We need a right back to come in to be back up for Miller. I’d look to get Megwa out on loan.

McGruber
27-07-2023, 08:09 AM
Wollacot (Marshall seems mistake ridden these days. 2 fluff kicks v Groingen never came as a surprise. Had a good first half of last season but faded badly towards end)

Miller
Rocky (Harbottle looks good but not seen enough)
Hanlon
Stevenson (Assuming Obita still out)

JDH (has to play. Been our best player pre season)
Campbell (Newell normally start but would give Campbell nod after confidence of 2 goals and this game could be physical so give Joe another week recovery)
Levitt

Youan
Doiidge
Melkerson (going to be hot, will keep ALF for second half when the sting out the game. Would normally start him)..
Melkerson not done much to earn start but not a lot of option - McKay maybe.

Would like to give youth a chance but nobody showed enough as yet. Rudi getting mentions because started last game though he was out his depth for most of it - understandably so - and still needs time to adjust. Would give him spot on bench though.

A fit Boyle starts and also obviously Fish if he signs. Really need a new number 9 though. Squad still feels a bit thin.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 08:15 AM

Miller - Megwa - a completely out of position Campbell isn’t enough imo. Megwa isn’t ready for this level yet from what I’ve seen so I wouldn’t class having a guy who plays as more of an attacking midfielder as our only adequate back up to Miller as enough.

We need a right back to come in to be back up for Miller. I’d look to get Megwa out on loan.

MEGWA is a centrehalf, he played most of his games for under18 and 19 at centrehalf, on occasion he played right back, and played right back for kelty hearts last season, he also played centrehalf for the main team on saturday morning.
However i agree he’s not quite ready for hibs full team YET.

Brightside
27-07-2023, 08:19 AM

Megwa will be more than good enough against most teams we will face.

McGruber
27-07-2023, 08:20 AM
MEGWA is a centrehalf, he played most of his games for under18 and 19 at centrehalf, on occasion he played right back, and played right back for kelty hearts last season, he also played centrehalf for the main team on saturday morning.

I know it's not the be all and end all (wait for someone saying Cannavaro) but seems a bit small to be a first team centre back. At under 18 get away with it easier but think right back seems to be his future

andrew70
27-07-2023, 08:20 AM
I take your point .👍🏻
However i’ve watched him against FC Edinburgh, Dunbar, Berwick, and Gibraltar Team, and i haven’t seen anything, that made me think he’s a better option than Marshall.

Wollacott never played against Dunbar or Berwick

Brightside
27-07-2023, 08:21 AM

Is he not too small to be a CH at a higher level. Looks about 5.10.

EGL2000
27-07-2023, 08:24 AM

Was about to say, he wasn't even in the squads for either!

Hibbyradge
27-07-2023, 08:27 AM
If I was the manager, I'd pick our strongest, most opponent appropriate team, to get any type of win.

If we do happen to win comfortably, then younger, less experienced players might get on from the bench or get picked for the return game.

This team will be much better than most Hibs fans expect and I certainly wouldn't be putting money on big scorelines in our favour.

Last year they drew 1-1 with Cluj at this stage although they lost the away leg.

The suggestion that our development team could beat them easily is as arrogant as it is wrong.

Scooter
27-07-2023, 08:33 AM
Marsh

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Lewis

JDH
Levitt
Campbell

Youan
Doidge
Mckay

I'd have Newell in ahead of Campbell but i think we should have enough to spare him he's to important to risk for bigger games ahead.

Stubbsy90+2
27-07-2023, 08:34 AM
If I was the manager, I'd pick our strongest, most opponent appropriate team, to get any type of win.

If we do happen to win comfortably, then younger, less experienced players might get on from the bench or get picked for the return game.

This team will be much better than most Hibs fans expect and I certainly wouldn't be putting money on big scorelines in our favour.

Last year they drew 1-1 with Cluj at this stage although they lost the away leg.

The suggestion that our development team could beat them easily is as arrogant as it is wrong.

:agree:

Dmas
27-07-2023, 08:35 AM

So we sign a back up to miller, what happens to that player when cadden is fit again, he’s relegated to 3rd choice and megwa is stifled further ends up out the door and we’re all scratching our heads to why we’re bothering with a youth academy etc etc

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2023, 08:41 AM

Dont be silly, we are going to win over two legs by double figures.:faf:

Hibbyradge
27-07-2023, 08:46 AM
Dont be silly, we are going to win over two legs by double figures.:faf:

What, 2? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2023, 08:47 AM
What, 2? :wink:
:greengrin I'd take a 2-0 win now.:agree:

Hibbyradge
27-07-2023, 08:48 AM
:greengrin I'd take a 2-0 win now.:agree:

Agreed.

On aggregate.

Stubbsy90+2
27-07-2023, 08:49 AM
So we sign a back up to miller, what happens to that player when cadden is fit again, he’s relegated to 3rd choice and megwa is stifled further ends up out the door and we’re all scratching our heads to why we’re bothering with a youth academy etc etc

Is Cadden not likely to be out for the vast majority of the season? If so then anyone getting a 1 year deal will be out the door at the end of the season.

Centre Hawf
27-07-2023, 09:09 AM
Is Cadden not likely to be out for the vast majority of the season? If so then anyone getting a 1 year deal will be out the door at the end of the season.

It's a difficult situation to weigh up because the issue we have is that Cadden was your Mr Reliable down that right hand side in that he's been consistently fit for about 2 years now. Last season that was relied heavily upon because Miller couldn't stay fit for any period of time. Now the roles are reversed but Miller is once again still picking up knocks, and we're not even out of pre-season. So as it stands it looks like Megwa is near enough our first choice right back by default.

I rate the laddie and would love to see him get many minutes this season if possible but he and the club also needs to have that safety net of being able to take him out of the team if it gets hard or his form drops for his own sake. Doig had that safety net in Lewy and it did him wonders for his development. Megwa might not have that if Miller can't stay fit for longer than 2 weeks at a time.

1875M
27-07-2023, 09:46 AM
Marshall

Miller
Rocky
Hanlon
Stevenson

Jeggo
Newell
Levitt

Youan
Doidge
Melkersen

Donegal Hibby
27-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Marshall.

Miller .
Rocky.
Hanlon.
Stevenson.

Levitt .
Newell .
Campbell.

Youan .
Alf .
Mackay .

Gallery of Hibs team training in Andorra.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/gallery-hibees-train-in-andorra

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2023, 10:23 AM
Marshall.

Miller .
Rocky.
Hanlon.
Stevenson.

Levitt .
Newell .
Campbell.

Youan .
Alf .
Mackay .

Gallery of Hibs team training in Andorra.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/gallery-hibees-train-in-andorra

Picture 17 seems to show a lot of very happy players. :top marks

HH81
27-07-2023, 11:30 AM
LJ confirmed Marshall will start on an interview I heard earlier.

Callum_62
27-07-2023, 11:35 AM
I'd be tempted to start doidge for some physical presence

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
27-07-2023, 11:37 AM
LJ confirmed Marshall will start on an interview I heard earlier.

What interview

Hibs3-2
27-07-2023, 11:40 AM
Marshall

Miller rocky hanlon stevenson
Youan levitt newell Mckay/campbell
Doidge Alf

Narrow pitch so i’d go 2 up top. LJ also said a few times about their physicality/height so would play doidge

Maybe even play:

Marshall
Miller rocky hanlon stevenson
JDH
Newell levitt
Campbell
Youan Doidge

HH81
27-07-2023, 11:44 AM
What interview

I can't find it now was on a twitter account. Was talking about why changed captain and that Marshall would start today.

Hibernian Verse
27-07-2023, 12:05 PM
Cluj drew 1-1 with them last year. This certainly won’t be a walkover at their ground.

Donegal Hibby
27-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Picture 17 seems to show a lot of very happy players. :top marks
Helps when you have a good vibes manager in Martin Boyle . Could do with him on the Hibs net at times :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2023, 02:01 PM

:agree: Absolutely this. You sometimes wonder if some folk on here have been supporting Hibs for about 5 minutes. The absolute fact is that we can't afford to take any team or any game lightly and to make a presumption that we 'just have to turn up' for any match shows an absolute disregard for the history of a club that has more than it's fair share of defeats in games that on paper we were favourites to win.

A narrow win to take back to Easter Road, or at worst a draw. will be a decent result for us today.

Broken Gnome
27-07-2023, 02:07 PM
:agree: Absolutely this. You sometimes wonder if some folk on here have been supporting Hibs for about 5 minutes. The absolute fact is that we can't afford to take any team or any game lightly and to make a presumption that we 'just have to turn up' for any match shows an absolute disregard for the history of a club that has more than it's fair share of defeats in games that on paper we were favourites to win.

A narrow win to take back to Easter Road, or at worst a draw. will be a decent result for us today.

Correct.

Aside from Runavik at home and a couple of Intertoto games, there has been no plain sailing in Europe for decades. Even less so for away games - we're not that used to these games, we don't have unbelievable quality that can blow teams away, and we're on our first match day.

I'd be delighted bringing back a two goal lead, and pretty pleasantly surprised if it was more than that.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 02:10 PM
Is he not too small to be a CH at a higher level. Looks about 5.10.

Yeh he will be about that, actually very good in the air, but a bit small for centrehalf, although that’s were he has mainly played. 👍🏻

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 02:13 PM

Mind must be playing tricks i thought Boruc started against Dunbar and wollacott came on.
Berwick think was a young laddie . 👍🏻
Getting quite excited now, stella out, and the bbc iplayer on.

HIBS NUTS
27-07-2023, 02:16 PM
Mind must be playing tricks i thought Boruc started against Dunbar and wollacott came on.
Berwick think was a young laddie . 👍🏻
Getting quite excited now, stella out, and the bbc iplayer on.

Remember now he played against the dutch, saturday morning.

jingler1954
27-07-2023, 02:28 PM
👍

The Molitov cocktail.