PDA

View Full Version : Players that left Hibs to early

Donegal Hibby
25-07-2023, 12:30 PM
The melkersen thread seemed to have mixed opinion's on wither we should try and move him on or give him more time to develop . Personally I think at only 20 we should stick with him and give him a chance tbh .

This had me wondering about youth players or signing's we had that left our club to early that went on to do well elsewhere. Only two I think of at the minute are Keith Wright who I think we let go as a youth player and the other was Vas Te who wasn't at us long though went on to do well elsewhere.

Interested to know if there's any signing's or youth players past or present that you would like to have seen get more of a chance at Hibs.

He's here!
25-07-2023, 12:35 PM
The melkersen thread seemed to have mixed opinion's on wither we should try and move him on or give him more time to develop . Personally I think at only 20 we should stick with him and give him a chance tbh .

This had me wondering about youth players or signing's we had that left our club to early that went on to do well elsewhere. Only two I think of at the minute are Keith Wright who I think we let go as a youth player and the other was Vas Te who wasn't at us long though went on to do well elsewhere.

Interested to know if there's any signing's or youth players past or present that you would like to have seen get more of a chance at Hibs.

Pretty sure we had the opportunity to sign Gordon Strachan and John Robertson (both childhood Hibs fans) but the deals fell through.

SaulGoodman
25-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Eoin Doyle

Stevie Reid
25-07-2023, 12:48 PM
Eoin Doyle

My first thought also. Missed out on his peak years, and we may well have avoided relegation if he stayed.

To lose him and Griffiths in one go was a massive blow. Especially given they were replaced by Vine and Collins.

Stubbsy90+2
25-07-2023, 12:49 PM
Depends what you class as early. If we’re going to include folk that were here at youth level there’ll probably be a few.

Off the top of my head, there’s been next to none in recent years.

Greenbeard
25-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Just wondering if Doig had stayed with us for season 22-23, would his sale price from Hibs now be better or worse than the price we got plus the reported £1.4m sell-on (if his move goes through). I'll let someone else do the arithmetic.

Jones28
25-07-2023, 12:57 PM
I always wonder what could have happened if the golden generation team had been held together until 2008/9.

Donegal Hibby
25-07-2023, 12:59 PM
My first thought also. Missed out on his peak years, and we may well have avoided relegation if he stayed.

To lose him and Griffiths in one go was a massive blow. Especially given they were replaced by Vine and Collins.
Collins and Vine partnership is still giving me nightmares TBH 😱. Speaking about Griffith's isn't he one we had on our books as a youth player we let go too ?

darwenhibby
25-07-2023, 01:00 PM
I still think Jason Cummings left a year too early

Michael
25-07-2023, 01:00 PM
For some reason Clayton Donaldson wasn't really given much of a chance by the management or the fans, but I thought he had bags of potential (and went on to have a decent career). Definitely one we should have held onto longer.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2023, 01:04 PM
Vaz Te was never staying here long term. He was 25 and had played almost 80 games in the EPL when we signed him. The player himself stated he only came here to put himself back in the shop window (or words to that effect).

Tbh when it comes to players leaving Hibs we generally get it close to spot on when releasing young players. I can't think of too many who have come back to haunt us, particularly in recent years. Kirk Broadfoot was with us as a youth and went on to have a good career elsewhere but that wasn't exclusively Hibs choice. I think someone like Clayton Donaldson could be a shout, only played about 20 games for us and went on to have a very good career in the English Championship, he might have been worth persevering with. Eoin Doyle is another, his biggest issue was he was here at the same time as Griffiths and Fenlon only played one up top most weeks.

I think when it comes to players leaving Hibs too early it's sometimes players jumping ship when they could still benefit from another season or 2 here developing. Jason Cummings falls into that category imo, a year at Hibs in the Premiership would have done wonders for his development, instead he became a total nomad for a few seasons until he finally knuckled down in Australia.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2023, 01:13 PM
For some reason Clayton Donaldson wasn't really given much of a chance by the management or the fans, but I thought he had bags of potential (and went on to have a decent career). Definitely one we should have held onto longer.

Good shout, also.

AgentDaleCooper
25-07-2023, 01:16 PM
Craig Rocastle, although it was a loan...would have been great if we'd kept him.

Also think if we'd kept Doumbe and Daniel Anderson, we would have been a different team under Mowbray - we were one decent CB and keeper away from being a proper force. Would have benefited Doumbe as well IMO.

Frazerbob
25-07-2023, 01:17 PM
Another way of putting it, how many players have come back to haunt us? I can’t think of too many. Robbo is the obvious one. Paul Wright scored against us regularly for Killie but we did get Keith Wright to replace him. Anyone else….

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2023, 01:21 PM
Where is Early? Can’t find info on any club with that name.

nonshinyfinish
25-07-2023, 01:23 PM
Another way of putting it, how many players have come back to haunt us? I can’t think of too many. Robbo is the obvious one. Paul Wright scored against us regularly for Killie but we did get Keith Wright to replace him. Anyone else….

Hartley…

Frazerbob
25-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Hartley…

Good shout....To be fair, most of us would've been happy to see him go. He was murder for us.....which makes it all the more galling that he turned into a hero over the road.

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2023, 01:31 PM
Agathe

Keith_M
25-07-2023, 01:38 PM
AFAIK, we missed out on Robertson because Turnbull took a moody when Robbo said he wanted to think about the potential contract before signing, and we missed out on Strachan because his dad said Hibs didn't offer enough money.

CapitalGreen
25-07-2023, 01:41 PM
David Wotherspoon - went on to play 356 games for St Johnstone, 3 major trophies and capped internationally while we got relegated.

Caversham Green
25-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Where is Early? Can’t find info on any club with that name.

Club profile: Earley United - Berkshire Live (getreading.co.uk) (https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/amateur-football/club-profile-earley-united-4250816)

Unseen work
25-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Abdellah Zoubir, albeit was only on loan.

Northernhibee
25-07-2023, 02:10 PM
Scott Allan.

Whether it was an agent who had no clue what he was doing, or the ego of youth, the attempt to get a move to Rangers set his career back a long way. Despite getting little game time at Celtic and failing to impress on loan at Rotherham, another year with us and he'd potentially have been a Scottish Cup winner, had another year to develop in a team that suited his style of play, and had his pick of any number of clubs.

Having seen him play a game for Arbroath recently, it's sad to see what bad choices, injury, and ill health has done to his career. He was absolutely miles off the pace.

KWJ
25-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Good shout....To be fair, most of us would've been happy to see him go. He was murder for us.....which makes it all the more galling that he turned into a hero over the road.

Seen this a few times on here, he was far from murder. Hartley played as a winger, mostly from the bench when in the SPL and he scored about 10 goals for us, almost all of which were in draws or 1 goal wins. The problem at the time was we had a very good team and McLeish had decided to switch us to a 5-3-2 for the 00/01 season which Hartley didn't fit into. He was always a good footballer but kicked on hugely when St. J turned him into a centre mid. If we'd have done the same he'd have been vying with Latapy for the number 10 spot.

Since452
25-07-2023, 03:00 PM
Seen this a few times on here, he was far from murder. Hartley played as a winger, mostly from the bench when in the SPL and he scored about 10 goals for us, almost all of which were in draws or 1 goal wins. The problem at the time was we had a very good team and McLeish had decided to switch us to a 5-3-2 for the 00/01 season which Hartley didn't fit into. He was always a good footballer but kicked on hugely when St. J turned him into a centre mid. If we'd have done the same he'd have been vying with Latapy for the number 10 spot.

:agree: Hartley was a good player at Hibs. Struggled to get in our very good team. He'd have walked in to some of our subsequent sides.

Since452
25-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Stephen Dobbie. Had a very decent career.

fat freddy
25-07-2023, 03:07 PM
Paul McGinn. Iain Munro. Daniel Anderson.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2023, 03:16 PM

Was going to write a similar reply when I saw the first post. Hartley was decent for us, his potential was obvious but just didn't fit into what McLeish was doing at the time. Made a decent contribution in the half a season he was with us in the First Division.

Getting £200K from St. Johnstone for him in 2000, whilst getting their best player for free (albeit on a pretty eye watering contract) at the same time, seemed like great business - and certainly was for the 2000/01 season.

Think it was Billy Stark who had the foresight to make him into a number 10, which ended up defining his career.

Tambo
25-07-2023, 03:18 PM
I always thought Cummings should of stayed for an extra year but I understand why he would jump at the chance to sign for forest when he could.

oneone73
25-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon.

Since452
25-07-2023, 03:27 PM
James Collins :offski:

Stevie Reid
25-07-2023, 03:30 PM
Stephen Dobbie. Had a very decent career.

This is also a good shout, though at the same time I think he acknowledged that he had to fall pretty far in order to get his career back on track. I thought he would score a tonne for St. Johnstone when he went to them in the First Division, but a year later he was playing in the bottom division for Dumbarton. I may be mistaken, but I'd thought I'd read a quote from Dobbie regarding the Dumbarton manager at that time, who had said that he should feel embarrassed about playing at that level.

He was 24 when he finished his loan spell at Dumbarton, four years later he was playing in the EPL. I think our biggest error was probably not signing him back in 2016 when we were still in the Championship and he was available - he had a phenomenal scoring record after he returned to QOS, scoring 53 goals in his first two seasons back there.

heidtheba
25-07-2023, 05:42 PM
Was going to write a similar reply when I saw the first post. Hartley was decent for us, his potential was obvious but just didn't fit into what McLeish was doing at the time. Made a decent contribution in the half a season he was with us in the First Division.

Getting £200K from St. Johnstone for him in 2000, whilst getting their best player for free (albeit on a pretty eye watering contract) at the same time, seemed like great business - and certainly was for the 2000/01 season.

Think it was Billy Stark who had the foresight to make him into a number 10, which ended up defining his career.

Who was it that came to us? I can't remember.

heidtheba
25-07-2023, 05:45 PM
Slightly changing the perspective of the opening question, three players I think left us and went on to do much less with their careers than their talent suggests would be Derek Riordan, Garry O'Connor and Anthony Stokes. Each of those guys came back to us and, for whatever reason, didn't have the ending to their careers that I'd have expected. I wonder if Stokes and O'Connor sometimes wish they'd really made the most of their second spell? I think each of them left us too early (second time around).

tamig
25-07-2023, 05:46 PM

I don’t think we let Vaz Te go. He was signed on a short term agreement and had aspirations way above us.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2023, 05:48 PM
Who was it that came to us? I can't remember.

John O’Neil

heidtheba
25-07-2023, 05:49 PM
John O’Neil

Ahhhhhh yes! Thank you.

eastmainsmsh
25-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Paco Luna when he was on he was on

weecounty hibby
25-07-2023, 06:15 PM
John O’Neil

An often overlooked player because of some of his team mates but what a fantastic player he was for us.

Bridge hibs
25-07-2023, 06:23 PM
Zitelli

The Spaceman
25-07-2023, 06:33 PM
If Killie can get Kyle Magennis to play for 75%+ of this season, he will 100% be in that category. Admittedly, that seems hugely unlikely given his injury history, hence we moved him on.

Donegal Hibby
25-07-2023, 07:27 PM
I don’t think we let Vaz Te go. He was signed on a short term agreement and had aspirations way above us.
Your probably right mate about about aspirations above us TBH , left us and went to Barnsley in the championship and rejected a new contract there and joined west ham who were in the championship then I think. Thought he looked to have something about him and would liked to have kept him even though it probably wasn't going to happen.

ChicoM1875
25-07-2023, 07:33 PM
That mad goalie. Szamotulski. Was he not with us for about 6 months and had a million clean sheets.

CapitalGreen
25-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Matt Macey

Donegal Hibby
25-07-2023, 07:43 PM
Matt Macey
Agree mate . Liked Macy and was sorry he left . Thought he was a decent keeper TBH .

Zazu62
25-07-2023, 07:47 PM
Matt Macey

Was a pretty average goalkeeper especially for his height

Bishop Hibee
25-07-2023, 07:49 PM
Kenny Miller. Should have stayed for at least a couple of seasons more but his agent Gordon Smith touted him and he went to Wolves too soon.

Northernhibee
25-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Dominique Malonga. Just shy of five months away from being a Scottish Cup winner and a club legend.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Kenny Miller. Should have stayed for at least a couple of seasons more but his agent Gordon Smith touted him and he went to Wolves too soon.

Via Huns first

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 07:57 PM
Dominique Malonga. Just shy of five months away from being a Scottish Cup winner and a club legend.

He got the first goal away to Raith in the first roond , He should have got a Scottish cup winners medal for contributing no two ways about it

Simkin911
25-07-2023, 08:03 PM
David Wotherspoon - went on to play 356 games for St Johnstone, 3 major trophies and capped internationally while we got relegated.

I agree - felt he had a rough time from some sections of the support but was still relatively young and arguably played through some pretty poor squads whilst at Hibs.

Personally I was glad to see him go on to achieve what he has. I may be biased however as I have his Hibs shirt from a match via Hearts on my office wall. He hit the post that day and ripped M Stewart with a drag back whilst he slid off the pitch.

Currently without a team now.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 08:06 PM
I agree - felt he had a rough time from some sections of the support but was still relatively young and arguably played through some pretty poor squads whilst at Hibs.

Personally I was glad to see him go on to achieve what he has. I may be biased however as I have his Hibs shirt from a match via Hearts on my office wall. He hit the post that day and ripped M Stewart with a drag back whilst he slid off the pitch.

Currently without a team now.

Scored the winner ( Huge deflection ) The year after the poppy stealers beat us in the final , Ment a lot to him

tamig
25-07-2023, 08:06 PM

The way Kenny Miller’s career went I’d suggest he never left us too early. Panned out pretty well for him imo.

Spudster
25-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Ironic as he looked like his abilities were way below ours.

McGhee
25-07-2023, 08:28 PM
Didier Agathe. Thought he was a brilliant player. Could have been a legend, imo.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 08:31 PM
Didier Agathe. Thought he was a brilliant player. Could have been a legend, imo.

Problem being we only gave him a 3 month contract ? Apart from missing an open goal at tynecastle on the first game of the season were he rounded the goalkeeper and missed !! He was brilliant !

McGhee
25-07-2023, 08:34 PM
Problem being we only gave him a 3 month contract ? Apart from missing an open goal at tynecastle on the first game of the season were he rounded the goalkeeper and missed !! He was brilliant !

The OP isn't how long the contract was. Its regarding players that left way too soon. Imo, Didier Agathe left Hibernian way long before he should have. We should have tried to sign him long term.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 08:45 PM
The OP isn't how long the contract was. Its regarding players that left way too soon. Imo, Didier Agathe left Hibernian way long before he should have. We should have tried to sign him long term.

We should have offered him more than a 3 month contract then he wouldn't have left way to soon

McGhee
25-07-2023, 08:58 PM
We should have offered him more than a 3 month contract then he wouldn't have left way to soon

Of course, we should have. But, it was a gamble. He might not have been the player he turned out to be. However, we should have taken him on, for at least a year, even that, would have seen him leave too soon imo. He was a quality player. I'll never forget his goals against Dufc at ER. Sublime.

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 09:05 PM
Of course, we should have. But, it was a gamble. He might not have been the player he turned out to be. However, we should have taken him on, for at least a year, even that, would have seen him leave too soon imo. He was a quality player. I'll never forget his goals against Dufc at ER. Sublime.

Me neither , I got married the day before and told the mrs i'm going to Easter road tomorrow then we are off on honeymoon :greengrin That went well :greengrin

HibbyAndy
25-07-2023, 09:06 PM

Me neither , I got married the day before and told the mrs i'm going to Easter road tomorrow then we are off on honeymoon :greengrin That went well :greengrin

McGhee
25-07-2023, 09:10 PM

:greengrin

That's the love affair, that we have with the Hi bees. Not even the missus, can come before it. :hibees. I think they all know that though.

dunfyhibby
25-07-2023, 09:13 PM
Jamie McLaren

IberianHibernian
25-07-2023, 09:14 PM
:agree: Hartley was a good player at Hibs. Struggled to get in our very good team. He'd have walked in to some of our subsequent sides.Agree . He was a good player with us . Certainly not " murder " . Sort of skilful player who was traditionally popular with Hibs fans . Is it true he joined us 3 times ? Once at about 13 , again in mid / late teens then for his final spell with us ? Clayto Donaldson was also very good but coincided with other good strikers .

The Tubs
25-07-2023, 09:21 PM
Not a player, but what would have happened had Jock Stein told Celtc to bolt? If only.

Svengali
26-07-2023, 08:28 AM
Danny Lennon (always liked him) & Paul Wright spring to mind in my lifetime. Doumbie is a good shout.

John O’Neil came down to his wage packet.

Franck Sauzee??

Someone said O’Rourke & Gordon, overall I don’t think anyone will better that.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-07-2023, 08:59 AM
Craig Brewster. I know that he was no spring chicken , but he was quality when he played for us.

Since452
26-07-2023, 09:07 AM
Your probably right mate about about aspirations above us TBH , left us and went to Barnsley in the championship and rejected a new contract there and joined west ham who were in the championship then I think. Thought he looked to have something about him and would liked to have kept him even though it probably wasn't going to happen.

He used us to get his fitness up but was clearly a quality player. We had no chance to make that longer. Had already done well before he joined us on a short term deal.

Since452
26-07-2023, 09:10 AM
That mad goalie. Szamotulski. Was he not with us for about 6 months and had a million clean sheets.

:agree: Very, very good keeper. Great personality to go with it. Character.

Mick O'Rourke
26-07-2023, 09:42 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon.

Leaving early is fine if that is what the player want Te two above wanted to remainat the club.
Add to those two,
Joe Baker
Been a few reasons cited on Joe leaving .
Did Hibs mess him about when denying wage rise knowing they had it in their mind to sell and cash in on the wonder striker and all round footballer.?

Gordon Smith
Did Hibs really think his best years were behind the "Gay Gordon" only for him to add to his medals winning titles wae hertz and Dundee?

Gordon Strachan
Not so much "leaving early but....The one that got away:offski:
Over a supposed daft argument about the price of a pair of boots and what allowance should youth players receive.!
Mind,he was 14yrs of age at the time !,

No boot sponsor then when clubs would get them for nought (do they theses day?)

Back in the 60s,the players would get a chitty to go to Thorntons Sports Shop in Hanover Street.
Hibs had contract with them for boots.
I guess there was a limit on price.
I chummed my brother up once to get a new pair,as others had burst.
Chose his boots,, signed the receipt,bobs yer uncle.
Different times indeed.

JimBHibees
26-07-2023, 09:51 AM

Dundee not United

Trinity Hibee
26-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Craig Brewster. I know that he was no spring chicken , but he was quality when he played for us.

And still quality when he came back to play against us with Dunfermline.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2023, 10:00 AM
Not a player, but what would have happened had Jock Stein told Celtc to bolt? If only.

The biggest "what if?" in our history imo. There's no good reason he couldn't have done what he did with Celtc at ER.

Hibs1969
26-07-2023, 12:00 PM
The 2 Pats - Stanton and McGinlay. Both great servants to the club. IIRC McGinlay played in the Ayr Utd team that beat Sauzee’s team in the LC semi shortly before Sauzee got the boot.

ancient hibee
26-07-2023, 12:04 PM
Leaving early is fine if that is what the player want Te two above wanted to remainat the club.
Add to those two,
Joe Baker
Been a few reasons cited on Joe leaving .
Did Hibs mess him about when denying wage rise knowing they had it in their mind to sell and cash in on the wonder striker and all round footballer.?

Gordon Smith
Did Hibs really think his best years were behind the "Gay Gordon" only for him to add to his medals winning titles wae hertz and Dundee?

Gordon Strachan
Not so much "leaving early but....The one that got away:offski:
Over a supposed daft argument about the price of a pair of boots and what allowance should youth players receive.!
Mind,he was 14yrs of age at the time !,

No boot sponsor then when clubs would get them for nought (do they theses day?)

Back in the 60s,the players would get a chitty to go to Thorntons Sports Shop in Hanover Street.
Hibs had contract with them for boots.
I guess there was a limit on price.
I chummed my brother up once to get a new pair,as others had burst.
Chose his boots,, signed the receipt,bobs yer uncle.
Different times indeed.

I was going to post the two biggest names until I saw your post. Gordon wanted an operation and Joe wanted another fiver a week.

Since452
26-07-2023, 12:18 PM

I think we would have won the league at some point. Possibly the European cup as well. At least the very latter stages of it.