PDA

View Full Version : Women’s World Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3

Forza Fred
20-07-2023, 03:07 AM
Kicks off tonight with New Zealand v Norway in Auckland and 2 hours later the blockbuster
Australia v Ireland clash in Sydney.

75,000 expected at the Sydney game.

If someone had suggested that number of people would pay to see a Women’s game in Oz only a few years ago, they would have been carted off to a place of Safety!

C’mon the Tillies!

Forza Fred
20-07-2023, 12:36 PM
Opening games

New Zealand 1 v Norway 0

Australia 1 v Ireland 0

Glory Lurker
20-07-2023, 03:33 PM
Loving the NZ win. Scenes.

Lago
20-07-2023, 04:38 PM
Kicks off tonight with New Zealand v Norway in Auckland and 2 hours later the blockbuster
Australia v Ireland clash in Sydney.

75,000 expected at the Sydney game.

If someone had suggested that number of people would pay to see a Women’s game in Oz only a few years ago, they would have been carted off to a place of Safety!

C’mon the Tillies!
Changed days from the Newcastle N. S. W I remember from my merchant navy days :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2023, 07:35 AM
Spain v Costa Rica just started on BBC2

Pretty Boy
21-07-2023, 07:38 AM
Watched the highlights of the New Zealand game last night. They looked good value for their win.

The quality of the football compared to the worlds cups of a decade or so ago is night and day (no disrespect intended to the women of yesteryear but it's true). The crowds look amazing too, the Australia game being moved to accommodate a bigger crowd is testament to the old mantra of 'seeing is believing'.

Looking forward to watching a few games over the weekend as kick off times make it difficult during the week.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2023, 07:52 AM
Spain 1 v 0 Costa Rica

Own goal

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2023, 07:53 AM
2-0

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2023, 07:58 AM
3-0

Forza Fred
22-07-2023, 12:52 AM
Watched the highlights of the New Zealand game last night. They looked good value for their win.

The quality of the football compared to the worlds cups of a decade or so ago is night and day (no disrespect intended to the women of yesteryear but it's true). The crowds look amazing too, the Australia game being moved to accommodate a bigger crowd is testament to the old mantra of 'seeing is believing'.

Looking forward to watching a few games over the weekend as kick off times make it difficult during the week.

Over 75,000 in attendance for the Oz v Ireland game, which the Matildas won 1-0 and was a physical affair, rather than one for the purists, but a win,is a win is a win!

And what about New Zealand beating Norway!

Ingerland kick off their quest tonight in Brisbane…

Great stuff so far.

Musselbound
22-07-2023, 01:12 AM
Over 75,000 in attendance for the Oz v Ireland game, which the Matildas won 1-0 and was a physical affair, rather than one for the purists, but a win,is a win is a win!

And what about New Zealand beating Norway!

Ingerland kick off their quest tonight in Brisbane…

Great stuff so far.

From what I saw Ireland played quite well second half and were maybe a bit unlucky not to get a draw.

HoboHarry
22-07-2023, 01:46 AM
Really poor penalty kick effort from Alex Morgan.

Forza Fred
22-07-2023, 04:47 AM
From what I saw Ireland played quite well second half and were maybe a bit unlucky not to get a draw.

The Matildas can certainly play better.

Second half Ireland threw everything at them looking for an equaliser to the point where I thought an equaliser was inevitable, but the Matildas held on for the win.

The absence of Sam Kerr didn’t help, but they’ll have to cope with that in future games too.

He's here!
22-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Enjoyed what I've seen so far. Great crowds.

hibee1875
22-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Like the refs being miced up and explaining var decisions

Pretty Boy
22-07-2023, 10:06 AM

Refereeing has been very good. Using the tech properly and explaining decisions well.

gbhibby
22-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Penalty to Rangers. That should have been done when VAR was introduced. Football is always way behind other sports especially Rugby.

ElginHibbie
22-07-2023, 10:14 AM
Penalty to Rangers. That should have been done when VAR was introduced. Football is always way behind other sports especially Rugby.

The one thing I wish football would take from rugby is way the ref and players communicate, none of this crowding the ref stuff, he will only speak to captains and relevant players in incidents

He's here!
22-07-2023, 10:16 AM
England ahead. Haiti been making it hard for them so far tho.

gbhibby
22-07-2023, 10:24 AM
The one thing I wish football would take from rugby is way the ref and players communicate, none of this crowding the ref stuff, he will only speak to captains and relevant players in incidents
HIA and Blood substitutes should have been introduced when rugby brought them in.

Brightside
22-07-2023, 10:33 AM
England ahead. Haiti been making it hard for them so far tho.

Impressed with Haiti.

Mick O'Rourke
22-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Impressed with Haiti.

Me too.
If i do watch another England game on ITV it will be muted.
The arrogance and patronising attitude is not really surprising.
I should have know better.In the genes,i guess.
Haiti didnt read the script,they were meant to fold through tiredeness in the second half and succumb to a thrashing from their betters.
The Haitian girls did their country,which is one of the poorest in the world, proud.

gbhibby
22-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Me too
In the genes,i guess.
Haiti didnt read the script,they were meant to fold through tiredeness in the second half and succumb to a doing.

The Haitian goalkeeper looked comfortable with anything England threw at her.

heretoday
22-07-2023, 11:56 AM
Me too.
Haiti didnt read the script,they were meant to fold through tiredeness in the second half and succumb to a thrashing from their betters.
The Haitian girls did their country,which is one of the poorest in the world, proud

It's sad that the womens game has taken on the same attitude in commentating as the men. We might have hoped for something better but it appears not.

Zazu62
22-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Unwatchable

silverhibee
22-07-2023, 12:10 PM
Where are all the male commentators. :cb

Mick O'Rourke
22-07-2023, 12:10 PM
It's sad that the womens game has taken on the same attitude in commentating as the men. We might have hoped for something better but it appears not.

When the Scottish Open was on the major news programmes/sports bulletins on BBC,Sky and ITV mostly had it third item behind England womens cricket...Womens Ashes,ffs ! and the build up to this womens World Cup.
Had there been a world cup ludo or domino tournament and England qualified .It would be major news.
Its all a comfort/blind thing since the mens football team has one nought for 60 yrs/
The footballs coming home song ? You would think they invented the game,wouldn't you?

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2023, 12:16 PM
Where are all the male commentators. :cb

BBC had the Arsenal manager in the studio 👍🏼

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Me too.
The Haitian girls did their country,which is one of the poorest in the world, proud.

I never even attempted to watch the England game because I thought it would be a procession, just seen the highlights on the news and how wrong I was.

When I heard Haiti had a team in the competition I was amazed, the place is an absolute car crash of a country, the effort these women and their coaches must have had to put in just to get an international team going has to have been immense, never mind to a level where it could well have beaten a team as hyped as England are. Have to agree with you, these lassies have done themselves and their country proud :agree:

Mick O'Rourke
22-07-2023, 12:35 PM
I never even attempted to watch the England game because I thought it would be a procession, just seen the highlights on the news and how wrong I was.

When I heard Haiti had a team in the competition I was amazed, the place is an absolute car crash of a country, the effort these women and their coaches must have had to put in just to get an international team going has to have been immense, never mind to a level where it could well have beaten a team as hyped as England are. Have to agree with you, these lassies have done themselves and their country proud :agree:

Its is quite remarkable that Haiti has a National womens team, let alone getting to a WC final.
Poverty and despair is rife in the Country,as is the Country they share an island with,though they do get tourist revenues

My brother once told me that on a Summer tour of Africa with Hibs ,he was astonished at the poverty they witnessed.
Pre mass media/sat tv and internet.of course
The Hibs team donated most of their kit to local footballers on leaving .
One team they played,not all the players wore boots.
Fast forward ,we see how many Africans now play with big clubs throughout Europe and elswhere.
Some of these Haitan girls might hope for offers from say, US clubs/universities .
Dream for most of them.

He's here!
22-07-2023, 01:05 PM
The Haitian goalkeeper looked comfortable with anything England threw at her.

She was excellent. Wee bit unlucky to see the pen retaken. Definitely off her line but I've seen worse in the men's game.

Big save near the end by England keeper Earps too.

A Hi-Bee
22-07-2023, 01:07 PM
Me too.

Male or female, makes no difference to how obnoxious they can be over Engurland.

Mick O'Rourke
22-07-2023, 01:11 PM

It seem the sensible thing to do.
More cards should be issued to those that persist to harangue the ref over a decision .
A lot more "cheating" in the game.imo,in recent years.
Going down at the merest nudge,feigning injury.
Calling for opponents to get carded.Clipes !!
Our game has adopted what we older guys thought only"Johhny Foreigner" did ,when we first had tellys and saw the World Cups of the 60s and early 70s
South American teams had it all down to a fine art.
The violent,hacking stuff too. !
Ah! The Good Old Days !!
Mud,blood and snotters !!

gbhibby
22-07-2023, 01:17 PM
It seem the sensible thing to do.
More cards should be issued to those that persist to harangue the ref over a decision .
A lot more "cheating" in the game.imo,in recent years.
Going down at the merest nudge,feigning injury.
Calling for opponents to get carded.Clipes !!
Our game has adopted what we older guys thought only"Johhny Foreigner" did ,when we first had tellys and saw the World Cups of the 60s and early 70s
South American teams had it all down to a fine art.
The violent,hacking stuff too. !
Ah! The Good Old Days !!
Mud,blood and snotters !!
The women seem to need a much heavier contact before they go down and seem to be made of harder stuff

Mick O'Rourke
22-07-2023, 01:28 PM
The women seem to need a much heavier contact before the go down and seem to be made of harder stuff

Maybe they are schooled better to behave properly on the pitch.
The mens game can be very frustrating at times.
This goalie nonsense as well,throwing themselves to the ground,for no reason other than to waste time,never happened years ago.
Ronnie Simpson didnae carry on like that !:greengrin:rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2023, 01:41 PM
The women seem to need a much heavier contact before they go down and seem to be made of harder stuff

In the USA v Vietnam match one of the Vietnam players was sent off for an absolutely shocking tackle on a lassie I'm lead to believe is ex basketball player Dennis Rodman's daughter .... It caught her between her knee and ankle and I swear you could see her tibia actually bend in the replay, how the hell it didn't break is anybody's guess ... she played on after a bit of treatment :greengrin

Glory Lurker
22-07-2023, 03:39 PM
What's the point of them being in the commonwealth when we can't just tell them to put the games on at a decent time for our telly? Hope they get that sorted soon.

ekhibee
22-07-2023, 03:59 PM
Apologies to our English posters but I really hope England get pumped in this tournament.

hibstag
22-07-2023, 07:41 PM
Apologies to our English posters but I really hope England get pumped in this tournament.

Tiddlywinks, dominoes, origami, you name it I want them beat

marinello59
22-07-2023, 10:12 PM

I hope they win it. :greengrin

Forza Fred
22-07-2023, 10:55 PM

It’s not the women’s game to blame.

It’s the English commentators!

Forza Fred
22-07-2023, 11:00 PM
What's the point of them being in the commonwealth when we can't just tell them to put the games on at a decent time for our telly? Hope they get that sorted soon.

Well, the state of Victoria told you what you can do with your Commonwealth a few days ago😂

Forza Fred
22-07-2023, 11:04 PM
One thing that has been noticeable thus far at least is that generally ‘the gap’ between ‘big’ nations and ‘smaller’ nations teams, seems to have been reduced.

Oh, and reaffirmed what we already knew…..that the FIFA rankings don’t mean a lot.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2023, 12:28 PM
Is it coming home again?

NAE NOOKIE
23-07-2023, 02:48 PM
One thing that has been noticeable thus far at least is that generally ‘the gap’ between ‘big’ nations and ‘smaller’ nations teams, seems to have been reduced.

Oh, and reaffirmed what we already knew…..that the FIFA rankings don’t mean a lot.

Totally agree, this ranking pish is just there so they can insure the big nations with big TV audiences and big companies who provide sponsorship etc have a far better chance of making it to the latter stages of tournaments. UEFA are exactly the same.

I get it from a money angle ... but IMO every 3rd WC and Euros and every 3rd year in European club football all the clubs should just be chucked into a pot and the groups drawn out of it .... probably wouldn't guarantee the usual suspects not winning competitions, but at least the luck of the draw might see a minnow make it to the semi finals, or maybe even the final.

cabbageandribs1875
23-07-2023, 08:05 PM
because of ko times i've only actually watched a whole 5 mins so far, australia v rep ireland, was reading all players involved in the group stage games will get £24K each

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2023, 07:47 AM
Italy 1 v 0 Argentina

Girelli 86

He's here!
24-07-2023, 09:04 AM
Italy 1 v 0 Argentina

Girelli 86

Deserved win.

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2023, 06:00 AM
New Zealand 0 v 1 Philippines

Bolden 24

ITV

Columbia 2 V 0 South Korea FT

bod
25-07-2023, 06:03 AM
Is it coming home again?

Has it ever been home ?

He's here!
25-07-2023, 06:22 AM
New Zealand 0 v 1 Philippines

Bolden 24

ITV

Columbia 2 V 0 South Korea FT

Hosts looking a bit nervy.

Fantastic crowds at this tournament. The explosion in popularity of women's football has been remarkable. They could have sold out this stadium twice over for the NZ match apparently.

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2023, 06:28 AM
Hosts looking a bit nervy.

Fantastic crowds at this tournament. The explosion in popularity of women's football has been remarkable. They could have sold out this stadium twice over for the NZ match apparently.
Big shock on the cards

NZ Manageress needs to earn her corn here

GRA
25-07-2023, 07:02 AM
Big shock on the cards

NZ Manageress needs to earn her corn here

Equalizer for NZ 1-1

Edit, offside, still 1-0 Philippines.

Sloop67
25-07-2023, 07:39 AM
That's pretty poor VAR decision

He's here!
27-07-2023, 11:50 AM
Nigeria 3-1 up on Australia with just a couple of minutes to go.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2023, 12:06 PM
After a shaky start last night the Dutch girls got into the game and went ahead .... much to my delight as it shut up the constant and incredibly annoying ...... U .... S ..... A ..... chant that had been going the whole game :greengrin

The Netherlands girls then went on to absolutely dae ma heid in by refusing to capitalise ... they got up the pitch a number of times but the lassie in possession invariably turned back and played the ball to the back 4 even with 3 or 4 team mates in advanced attacking positions .... if they had been braver they could have won.

Pretty Boy
28-07-2023, 08:25 AM
Those Denmark walk out jackets are a solid 11 out of 10.

Brightside
28-07-2023, 08:28 AM
Those Denmark walk out jackets are a solid 11 out of 10.

:greengrin:greengrin Looks like the printer had a fit.

BILLYHIBS
28-07-2023, 08:36 AM
England 1 v 0 Denmark

James

Brightside
28-07-2023, 08:37 AM
superb finish

Pretty Boy
28-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Great goal that.

England have looked on it from the first whistle. Looking really good after a sluggish performance in the 1st game.

Brightside
28-07-2023, 09:06 AM
Looks ike a bad one for Walsh. Best DM in the world and that looks like an ACL.

He's here!
28-07-2023, 09:21 AM
Beautiful finish.

Italy goal v S Africa earlier was good too tho perhaps a wee hint of Michael Stewart's spectacular 'shinned' long ranger v Aberdeen.

He's here!
28-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Looks ike a bad one for Walsh. Best DM in the world and that looks like an ACL.

With Williamson and Mead already out that's a huge blow. Walsh is an absolutely key player as you say.

BILLYHIBS
29-07-2023, 10:19 AM
France 1 v 0 Brazil

Hibbyradge
29-07-2023, 12:02 PM
France 1 v 0 Brazil

It finished 2-1 France.

Very enjoyable game.

BILLYHIBS
30-07-2023, 10:44 AM
Germany 0 v 1 Columbia

BILLYHIBS
30-07-2023, 11:20 AM
Germany 1 v 1 Columbia

Jones28
30-07-2023, 11:29 AM
Last minute winner for Columbia!

BILLYHIBS
30-07-2023, 11:30 AM
Scenes !
Germany 1 v 2 Columbia

Hibbyradge
30-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Columbians going tonto! :thumbsup:

Malthibby
30-07-2023, 11:59 AM
Columbia's first goal was a Worldie, absolute class.

He's here!
30-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Columbia's first goal was a Worldie, absolute class.

Phenomenal.

WeeRussell
30-07-2023, 12:37 PM
How on earth are they letting US cities compete at the World Cup?!

Hibbyradge
30-07-2023, 01:31 PM
How on earth are they letting US cities compete at the World Cup?!

Well, it's just that they're in a rather funny mood today, sir.

WeeRussell
30-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Well, it's just that they're in a rather funny mood today, sir.

It’s disgusting!

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2023, 03:17 PM
Scenes !
Germany 1 v 2 Columbia

Great game and what a finish for Columbia's first goal. The commentator said Ireland had played Columbia in a friendly before the WC that was abandoned after 20 minutes coz the Irish lassies were fed up being brutalised and refused to play on :greengrin You can see why though, they dinnae haud back.

Said it before ... I remain to be convinced that Germany's Lena Oberdorf couldn't do a job in our midfield .. what a player :aok:

Forza Fred
31-07-2023, 02:29 AM
It’s make or break for the Matildas tonight (Monday)

They need to beat Canada in Melbourne to qualify.

Injuries have left them behind the eight ball for this game……and Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium will again be packed out.

Crowds have been great so far, but if Australia join Co hosts New Zealand on the scrap heap, not sure how the numbers will be affected from here on

Go the Tillies!

JimBHibees
31-07-2023, 06:46 AM
It’s make or break for the Matildas tonight (Monday)

They need to beat Canada in Melbourne to qualify.

Injuries have left them behind the eight ball for this game……and Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium will again be packed out.

Crowds have been great so far, but if Australia join Co hosts New Zealand on the scrap heap, not sure how the numbers will be affected from here on

Go the Tillies!

Canada are decent

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 07:13 AM
Japan 1 v 0 Spain

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 07:29 AM
Japan 2 v 0 Spain

Brightside
31-07-2023, 07:36 AM
Japan have been excellent. Really fancy them to go all the way.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 07:36 AM
Classic ropeadope from Japan

Masterclass

Two goals on the break against the run of play

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 07:41 AM
Japan 3 v 0 Spain

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 07:42 AM
Three shots on target three goals

He's here!
31-07-2023, 08:57 AM
Japan have been excellent. Really fancy them to go all the way.

They're definitely in with a good shout.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 09:10 AM
Japan 4 v 0 Spain FT

SJNB Hibby
31-07-2023, 10:11 AM
1-0 Australia

Aldo
31-07-2023, 10:12 AM
That looked suspiciously offside there?? [emoji102]

Have they been showing VAR replays etc?

Edit: Just seen the BBC VAR and it’s well onside

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 10:15 AM
Looked offside even on the replay

Need to draw the lines for us

nonshinyfinish
31-07-2023, 10:18 AM
That looked suspiciously offside there?? [emoji102]

Have they been showing VAR replays etc?

In the games I've seen (not very many because of the times) it's only been 'normal' replays rather than seeing the lines for offside. I don't think I've seen any where the ref went to the screen, so I don't know if they're showing the feed of what the ref is watching in those cases.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2023, 10:19 AM
Just put it up

Onside by a forearm and fingers

Aldo
31-07-2023, 10:20 AM
In the games I've seen (not very many because of the times) it's only been 'normal' replays rather than seeing the lines for offside. I don't think I've seen any where the ref went to the screen, so I don't know if they're showing the feed of what the ref is watching in those cases.

Thanks for that.

Just wasn’t sure!

Was hoping there wasn’t a hasty decision given there is so much riding on this for the hosts?

Danderhall Hibs
31-07-2023, 10:41 AM
Canada claiming VAR for everything - just defend better.

Forza Fred
01-08-2023, 10:41 AM
Canada are decent

They are.

They can certainly knock the ball about and keep possession, but the Matildas just weren’t going to go out

4-0 and not a fluke in any way.

A sell out again…..stadium only holds a max of 30k.but ‘restricted view’ and other seats closed off by FIFA…so 27+k official attendance.

Not many games scheduled for Melbourne because bigger stadiums are used by AFL and no chance of them rearranging their fixtures for football

Matildas getting excellent TV ratings and the country has United behind them.

Except that is sections of the Murdoch press who have Aussie Rules or Rugby League as partners……an example being they photographed the streets near the stadium in Melbourne in the early morning and wrote the article up in a way that the empty streets was a bad look and indicated that there wasn’t much interest in the game.

The game kicked off at 8pm so why they would expect people to be congregating at the stadium 12 hours earlier Dog only knows…but if you quickly read the article or the headline you would think that was the case.

That’s the Murdoch press for you

JimBHibees
01-08-2023, 10:43 AM
They are.

They can certainly knock the ball about and keep possession, but the Matildas just weren’t going to go out

4-0 and not a fluke in any way.

A sell out again…..stadium only holds a max of 30k.but ‘restricted view’ and other seats closed off by FIFA.

Matildas getting excellent TV ratings and the country has United behind them.

Except that is sections of the Murdoch press who have Aussie Rules or Rugby League as partners……an example being they photographed the streets near the stadium in Melbourne in the early morning and wrote the article up in a way that the empty streets was a bad look and indicated that there wasn’t much interest in the game.

The game kicked off at 8pm so why they would expect people to be congregating at the stadium 12 hours earlier Dog only knows…but if you quickly read the article or the headline you would think that was the case.

That’s the Murdoch press for you

Didn't see the game but surprised such a convincing win. Great win for Aussie. Murdoch press such a negative influence the world over.

Forza Fred
01-08-2023, 10:58 AM
England v China about to start.

If England lose they will finish second and play Oz next round

Want to avoid them until the final if we can.

Therefore for the first time in living memory I want them to win!

Since90+2
01-08-2023, 10:59 AM
Real shame Scotland didn't make this, I don't think any team, bar Japan possibly, has stood out for me. Think Scotland could have done well.

Brightside
01-08-2023, 11:00 AM
England v China about to start.

If England lose they will finish second and play Oz next round

Want to avoid them until the final if we can.

Therefore for the first time in living memory I want them to win!

England haven't been scoring much and with the recent injury they won't be as tight at the back. They are certainly going for it in this game with potentially 4 strikers on the pitch.

BILLYHIBS
01-08-2023, 11:05 AM
China 0 v 1 England

Russo

Brightside
01-08-2023, 11:05 AM
1-0 England. Swamping them early.

Brightside
01-08-2023, 11:27 AM
2-0 - great defence to attack from Bright.

Brightside
01-08-2023, 11:42 AM
3-0 James given so much space to score from the edge of the box. England have been superb.

He's here!
01-08-2023, 11:50 AM
3-0 James given so much space to score from the edge of the box. England have been superb.

Very impressive. They look bursting with confidence.

Tyler Durden
01-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Lauren James certainly living up to the hype. England look to have so many options, be difficult to stop

Forza Fred
01-08-2023, 12:03 PM

Frighteningly impressive!

WeeRussell
01-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Strange commentary discussion. Of course it’s a handball.

“Someone pushes her”.. that someone being her own goalkeeper who is standing in the goal line.

Since90+2
01-08-2023, 12:26 PM
Strange commentary discussion. Of course it’s a handball.

“Someone pushes her”.. that someone being her own goalkeeper who is standing in the goal line.

She also said initially "that's a handball" before it went to VAR, then suddenly changed to "what is she meant to do".

Seems to me commentators are encouraged to be openly bias and Hayes slipped out of character for a second.

Brightside
01-08-2023, 12:28 PM
She also said initially "that's a handball" before it went to VAR, then suddenly changed to "what is she meant to do".

Seems to me commentators are encouraged to be openly bias and Hayes slipped out of character for a second.

Unconscious bias tbf. We'd have the same if a Scottish team was in there.

WeeRussell
01-08-2023, 12:29 PM
What a strike!

WeeRussell
01-08-2023, 12:33 PM

Yeah nothing against her personally (as have no real recollection of her commentary).. just found that sequence peculiar as you could see straight from the first replay, as long as the contact was with her arm, it’s as clear a handball as you’re ever likely to see.

Rumble de Thump
01-08-2023, 12:34 PM
China have been honking. Not even marking players, leaving them in acres of space and under no pressure. They've made it more like a training game for England.

JimBHibees
01-08-2023, 01:04 PM
Thought England were good passed the ball about well and good movement and ability.

Will take a good team to beat them in this tournament.

Corstorphine Hibby
01-08-2023, 01:11 PM
Japan look like the team to beat from what I've seen so far. They don't give the opposition a minutes peace and their possession stats are impressive.
Their playing style is also easy on the eye.

JimBHibees
01-08-2023, 01:13 PM
Japan look like the team to beat from what I've seen so far. They don't give the opposition a minutes peace and their possession stats are impressive.

Not seen them however US struggling a bit think they were the width of a post from being knocked out in the group stage.

Brightside
01-08-2023, 01:15 PM

Aye - not sure if it can work this way but England v Japan would be good.

Since90+2
01-08-2023, 01:44 PM
Did Spain play a weakened side against Japan? They are still 4/1 to win the Tournament whilst Japan are 15/2 even after hammering them 4-0.

I wonder if Spain fancied playing the team second in their group in the next round?

Brightside
01-08-2023, 01:50 PM
Did Spain play a weakened side against Japan? They are still 4/1 to win the Tournament whilst Japan are 15/2 even after hammering them 4-0.

I wonder if Spain fancied playing the team second in their group in the next round?

No - but believe it or not Spain were all over them and Japan just constantly countered. Their speed in transition is unreal.

He's here!
01-08-2023, 04:33 PM
Thought England were good passed the ball about well and good movement and ability.

Will take a good team to beat them in this tournament.

I only saw the first half but sounds like they were excellent throughout.

easty
02-08-2023, 07:34 AM
Quality own goal there by the Italians.

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 08:34 AM
South Africa 2 v 1 Italy

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 08:40 AM
South Africa 2 v 2 Italy

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 08:56 AM
South Africa 3 v 2 Italy

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 09:15 AM
Argentina 0 v 2 Sweden FT

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Panama 1 v 0 France

ElginHibbie
02-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Panama 1 v 0 France

Some goal as well https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20

CockneyRebel
02-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Some goal as well https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1686680670549237760?s=20

That would have beat most male goalkeepers! Super strike.

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Panama 1 v 3 France

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Jamaica 0 v 0 Brazil

Brazil oot !

Rumble de Thump
02-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Panama have been fantastic to watch. They're enjoying every minute of it. If players and fans don't find enjoyment in the experience of a football match, win, lose or draw then it can so often just be a bunch of miserable fans watching a bunch of miserable people kick a ball around for 90 minutes. Panama are loving being at the World Cup and giving France a decent game too.

Forza Fred
03-08-2023, 04:40 AM
Panama have been fantastic to watch. They're enjoying every minute of it. If players and fans don't find enjoyment in the experience of a football match, win, lose or draw then it can so often just be a bunch of miserable fans watching a bunch of miserable people kick a ball around for 90 minutes. Panama are loving being at the World Cup and giving France a decent game too.

Games,CrowdsTV Ratings all been fantastic.

Tournament has been/is a fabulous success that has caught the imagination of everybody in Oz.

Crowds in Enzed great too…..even though they are out of it.

It will leave a lasting legacy …and given the success of this tournament and the support it has received then no doubt there will be calls for the men’s world cup to be held here in future….just need to knock up a few stadiums for bigger crowds.

GRA
06-08-2023, 11:47 AM
Sweden put out USA on penalties. First time USA haven't made at least the quarter finals.

Opens up the whole tournament now!

Forza Fred
06-08-2023, 12:11 PM
Sweden put out USA on penalties. First time USA haven't made at least the quarter finals.

Opens up the whole tournament now!

Think the view over here was that the tournament was already wide open before the USA went out.

Japan have been getting a lot of praise, but naturally, the whole of Oz is going nuts about The Matildas.

Grea football
Great crowds.

Brightside
06-08-2023, 12:17 PM
USA need to dump all the old stars.

AugustaHibs
06-08-2023, 12:39 PM
Great to see rapinoe go out.

Wilson
06-08-2023, 12:52 PM

Their flag will look a bit odd...

wallpaperman
06-08-2023, 01:30 PM
The Swedish goalkeeper was absolutely brilliant, a string of great saves, the best being a low one heading for the corner which she turned round the post.

StevesFamau5
06-08-2023, 02:00 PM
Great to see rapinoe go out.

She's insufferable. Also the USA going out is hilarious. Think it's a Spain or France win. Netherlands possible as well. England are decent but not good enough to win it all.

Haymaker
06-08-2023, 04:04 PM
Think the view over here was that the tournament was already wide open before the USA went out.

Japan have been getting a lot of praise, but naturally, the whole of Oz is going nuts about The Matildas.

Grea football
Great crowds.

Yes, the days of the USA being a dominant powerhouse are over.

Mon Dieu4
07-08-2023, 08:05 AM
Nice to see VAR work as intended, that was never a penalty, glad it got changed

LewysGot2
07-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Compelling game. Pace is good and there's a physicality there.

The triple somersault at the penalty was a bit of a give away 🙄🙂

He's here!
07-08-2023, 08:27 AM
Games,CrowdsTV Ratings all been fantastic.

Tournament has been/is a fabulous success that has caught the imagination of everybody in Oz.

Crowds in Enzed great too…..even though they are out of it.

It will leave a lasting legacy …and given the success of this tournament and the support it has received then no doubt there will be calls for the men’s world cup to be held here in future….just need to knock up a few stadiums for bigger crowds.

Good to hear.

Lago
07-08-2023, 08:59 AM
They mostly have

WeeRussell
07-08-2023, 09:14 AM
Nigeria deserve to go through here. Hopefully they do.

And James 100% should walk here.

Mibbes Aye
07-08-2023, 09:18 AM

Truly awful and utterly blatant. All her weight on the right foot as well, the left foot was off the ground!

MKHIBEE
07-08-2023, 09:18 AM

Needless and stupid stamp, red card deserved

WeeRussell
07-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Yep. Very sad way for her to potentially end her tournament when she’s been getting all the plaudits. But it was ridiculous and always going to be a red.

I don’t have anything particularly against the England team but did wonder if people were getting a little carried away with their performances. Didn’t think it would be Nigeria that dumped them out but a great chance now.

Chat at half time of a “game plan” and stifling England, but fact is they’ve looked more likely from start to finish. Would be great for Nigeria to get over the line now.

LewysGot2
07-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Nigeria deserve to go through here but England still hanging in there somehow. Looking like pens beckon...

WeeRussell
07-08-2023, 10:12 AM
Nigeria deserve to go through here but England still hanging in there somehow. Looking like pens beckon...

Yeah have a feeling England will scrape through on pens now.

Would be harsh on Nigeria who just couldn’t find a goal (and should’ve had a penalty in extra time)

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Two pens two shocking misses miles off target

LewysGot2
07-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Pressure affecting composure

Brightside
07-08-2023, 10:23 AM
England very lucky today.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Spawny

Nigeria let them off the hook

He's here!
07-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Yeah have a feeling England will scrape through on pens now.

Would be harsh on Nigeria who just couldn’t find a goal (and should’ve had a penalty in extra time)

Nigeria extremely unlucky there. Comes down to nerve in the shootout I guess and apart from their first one England's penalties were extremely well taken.

Surprised by how laboured England looked today during the match. They looked superb in the previous round, but Nigeria really imposed themselves on things. Felt sorry for them going out after such a strong performance.

Forza Fred
07-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Matildas 2 v Denmark 0

Home side through to quarter finals!

Not the silkiest of performances but job done against a good Danish side.

Just under 76,000 crowd in Sydney

Wouldn’t have believed crowd number was possible only a few years ago.

LewysGot2
07-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Matildas 2 v Denmark 0

The excitement when Sam Kerr finally played in the tournament was very obvious- she’s their national talisman :agree::thumbsup:

He's here!
07-08-2023, 02:46 PM
Matildas 2 v Denmark 0

Phenomenal crowd. I guess you'd never have believed somebody saying the England women's football team would sell out Wembley a few years ago either. Hopefully Scotland's women's game can kick on, but I guess the funding's just not really there yet.

Jim44
07-08-2023, 05:18 PM
Needless and stupid stamp, red card deserved

Horrible foul from that English woman. Hope, somehow, they get their come-uppence. Strangely the English media seem to have kind of missed it and are down-playing the incident. Win at any cost. :rolleyes:

Forza Fred
07-08-2023, 08:49 PM
Phenomenal crowd. I guess you'd never have believed somebody saying the England women's football team would sell out Wembley a few years ago either. Hopefully Scotland's women's game can kick on, but I guess the funding's just not really there yet.

Funding isn’t there in Oz either…for men’s fitba as well as women’s.

Pollies happy to support ‘established’ codes like AFL and Rugby League, but ‘socca’ gets peanuts.

FIFA President even jokingly referred to Prime Minister’s need now to cope with expected funding demand after the success of the tournament.

Never thought I’d see the day when every news bulletin opened with news about a fitba game.

And the only thing limiting crowds is not demand by the punters, it’s the size of the stadiums.

Games are invariably sold out, tv ratings high and fan sites packed in mid winter evenings.

Pinch me!

Lago
07-08-2023, 09:36 PM

Pollies happy to support ‘established’ codes like AFL and Rugby League, but ‘socca’ gets peanuts.

FIFA President even jokingly referred to Prime Minister’s need now to cope with expected funding demand after the success of the tournament.

Never thought I’d see the day when every news bulletin opened with news about a fitba game.

And the only thing limiting crowds is not demand by the punters, it’s the size of the stadiums.

Games are invariably sold out, tv ratings high and fan sites packed in mid winter evenings.

Pinch me!
Brilliant

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Are the Lionesses playing today ?

All I have heard is England England England

The sooner they are out the better

The same as the men’s World Cup

Rant over !

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2023, 10:28 AM
still only watched several minutes of the opening game :greengrin but i have noticed this English 'heroine' from their last game is in fact a nasty thug for deliberately stamping on a Nigerian player when lying on the ground, first time i've saw something like that in a womens game.

Jay
08-08-2023, 11:21 AM

Rant over !

I'd love them to win. Ever since they won the Euros the light that's been shone on womens football in the UK has been brilliant. I assume as a knock on there will be more money going into it and that has to drip in scotland at all levels of the girls/womens game too.

He's here!
08-08-2023, 12:02 PM
still only watched several minutes of the opening game :greengrin but i have noticed this English 'heroine' from their last game is in fact a nasty thug for deliberately stamping on a Nigerian player when lying on the ground, first time i've saw something like that in a womens game.

If you watched the full games you'd be aware she's far from a thug. Great wee player who did something daft, was rightly sent off and has apologised.

He's here!
08-08-2023, 12:05 PM

Rant over !

Bit harsh to wish ill on the players because you don't like the commentators. As with the men's England team they're quite a likeable, modest bunch.

If you're watching on BBC is it that surprising they big up the England team? I'd imagine the Australian commentators are giving the Matildas plenty of kudos. Be the same with Scottish commentators if we were at a World Cup.

flash
08-08-2023, 12:07 PM
If you watched the full games you'd be aware she's far from a thug. Great wee player who did something daft, was rightly sent off and has apologised.

She acted like a thug that's for sure.

Deliberate stamp then strolled off as if nothing had happened.

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2023, 12:07 PM
bit harsh to wish ill on the players because you don't like the commentators. As with the men's england team they're quite a likeable, modest bunch.

If you're watching on bbc is it that surprising they big up the england team? I'd imagine the australian commentators are giving the matildas plenty of kudos. Be the same with scottish commentators if we were at a world cup.

itv

Likeable ?

Stamping on a helpless opponent on the deck

Gies peace !

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2023, 12:10 PM
I'd love them to win. Ever since they won the Euros the light that's been shone on womens football in the UK has been brilliant. I assume as a knock on there will be more money going into it and that has to drip in scotland at all levels of the girls/womens game too.

Valid point

Rumble de Thump
08-08-2023, 12:14 PM
Bit harsh to wish ill on the players because you don't like the commentators. As with the men's England team they're quite a likeable, modest bunch.

If you're watching on BBC is it that surprising they big up the England team? I'd imagine the Australian commentators are giving the Matildas plenty of kudos. Be the same with Scottish commentators if we were at a World Cup.

It wasn't the same with the Scottish commentators in 2019.

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2023, 12:15 PM

did i say something wrong ? apparently a heroine one week and thug the next, i didn't/don't need to watch a full game to make that decision

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2023, 12:18 PM

Young and inexperienced and yes a good player

She will learn the hard way sitting in the Stand not helping her country and she will know better next time

Rumble de Thump
08-08-2023, 12:20 PM
Young and inexperienced and yes a good player

She will learn the hard way sitting in the Stand not helping her country and she will know better next time

She's looked by far England's best player in the games I've seen. I think they'll struggle without her when they come up against the better teams.

JimBHibees
08-08-2023, 01:53 PM

The English coach said it wasn't deliberate wtf

He's here!
08-08-2023, 02:13 PM
The English coach said it wasn't deliberate wtf

Clearly deliberate but to brand her a thug is extreme. Anyone who watches women's football regularly will know she's no such thing. One daft act in the heat of the moment, similar to Beckham against Argentina. I hope it doesn't follow her around as she's got so much to give to women's sport. In fact, talking of Beckham, I note he commented that he's glad social media didn't exist in his day.

JimBHibees
08-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Clearly deliberate but to brand her a thug is extreme. Anyone who watches women's football regularly will know she's no such thing. One daft act in the heat of the moment, similar to Beckham against Argentina. I hope it doesn't follow her around as she's got so much to give to women's sport. In fact, talking of Beckham, I note he commented that he's glad social media didn't exist in his day.

David absolutely has a point about that the last thing you need are individuals relentlessly dominating opinion threads with ludicrously one sided arguments and not willing to consider other views. :greengrin

WeeRussell
08-08-2023, 03:14 PM
David absolutely has a point about that the last thing you need are individuals relentlessly dominating opinion threads with ludicrously one sided arguments and not willing to consider other views. :greengrin

To be fair I think David would have been okay if it was all bigging-up England and Britishness and only taking any opportunity to slag anything Scottish.

Brightside
08-08-2023, 03:57 PM

Totally agree. The England womens team are very likeable as individuals and as a team. They can't help the press exposure and it will be great for the game in this country. (If the SFA ever spend the money properly)

Brightside
08-08-2023, 04:09 PM

You've not watched many games then.....plenty off the ball stuff happens every week in the game. It was silly and reckless but it was far from a stamp, in fact you'd have struggled to have seen a mark on her. Still a RED and rightly sent off but lets not start all the Thug narrative.

WeeRussell
08-08-2023, 04:24 PM
You've not watched many games then.....plenty off the ball stuff happens every week in the game. It was silly and reckless but it was far from a stamp, in fact you'd have struggled to have seen a mark on her. Still a RED and rightly sent off but lets not start all the Thug narrative.

However nice she is and however out of character it was (which I can completely believe) a stamp is exactly what it was, and it doesn’t happen every week.

WeeRussell
08-08-2023, 04:31 PM
From what I’ve seen (not as much as some on here) France are a fair price at 5/1.

LewysGot2
08-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Totally agree. The England womens team are very likeable as individuals and as a team. They can't help the press exposure and it will be great for the game in this country. (If the SFA ever spend the money properly)

It’s nowhere near the jingoism of the press when it’s the men but you’re spot on re the exposure and funding aspects. You can’t be what you can’t see…

To be fair I think David would have been okay if it was all bigging-up England and Britishness and only taking any opportunity to slag anything Scottish.

He was absolutely vilified but he was top of the hit list for the media in those days anyway. I thought the challenge/incident was reminiscent of Fredo the Frog v Celtic - where Beaton did hee haw. :rolleyes:

She’s not a thug but she definitely lost the plot for that moment in time. Probably not enjoying being shut down completely by the opposition and gettImg frustrated.

Brightside
08-08-2023, 04:42 PM
However nice she is and however out of character it was (which I can completely believe) a stamp is exactly what it was, and it doesn’t happen every week.

She stood on her. Stamp gives the impression of an action you'd use to squash a can etc. Its was far from that - but still a RED. There is hair pulling, scratching, elbowing off the ball every week.

Its not worth debating tbh I'm just saying it wasn't as horrendous as some have made it out to be.

WeeRussell
08-08-2023, 04:53 PM
She stood on her. Stamp gives the impression of an action you'd use to squash a can etc. Its was far from that - but still a RED. There is hair pulling, scratching, elbowing off the ball every week.

Its not worth debating tbh I'm just saying it wasn't as horrendous as some have made it out to be.

Stamp gives the impression of stamping on someone. But I agree not worth arguing further over.

He's here!
08-08-2023, 05:42 PM

I'd agree. Stamp is the wrong word. She deliberately stepped on her opponent.

stamp (verb) [transitive, intransitive] stamp (something) to put your foot down heavily and noisily on the ground
I tried stamping my feet to keep warm. Sam stamped his foot in anger. He stamped the snow off his boots. The audience was stamping and cheering.

Rumble de Thump
08-08-2023, 06:01 PM
I'd agree. Stamp is the wrong word. She deliberately stepped on her opponent.

stamp (verb) [transitive, intransitive] stamp (something) to put your foot down heavily and noisily on the ground
I tried stamping my feet to keep warm. Sam stamped his foot in anger. He stamped the snow off his boots. The audience was stamping and cheering.

You won't see are more obvious example of a stamp in football. Why would anyone argue against that? For whatever reason, she chose to do it. She got punished. She apoligised. She'll learn from it.

Forza Fred
08-08-2023, 06:40 PM
Matildas to face France on Saturday in Brisbane

We beat France 1-0
in a friendly just before the World Cup so will be a close game, although nobody in Oz worried about their opposition.

France easily disposed of Morroco, but the Moroccans looked mentally exhausted and as if they had already played their World Cup.

Capacity in Brisbane is only circa 50,000.

Could have sold 3 times the number of tickets for the game if a big enough stadium.

He's here!
08-08-2023, 08:08 PM
You won't see are more obvious example of a stamp in football. Why would anyone argue against that? For whatever reason, she chose to do it. She got punished. She apoligised. She'll learn from it.

I'd argue against it being a stamp because it wasn't a stamp (unless stamps in football are defined differently). She deliberately stood on her opponent with one foot is what actually happened. Most so-called stamps in football aren't really stamps. The closest example of a genuine stamp I can think of was Neil Simpson's assault on Iain Durrant. Night and day compared to what happened in the England women's game.

He's here!
08-08-2023, 10:05 PM
Matildas to face France on Saturday in Brisbane

We beat France 1-0
in a friendly just before the World Cup so will be a close game, although nobody in Oz worried about their opposition.

France easily disposed of Morroco, but the Moroccans looked mentally exhausted and as if they had already played their World Cup.

Capacity in Brisbane is only circa 50,000.

Could have sold 3 times the number of tickets for the game if a big enough stadium.

Bit of a landmark moment for many women/girls this World Cup to see a Moroccan player wearing a hijab. That will help to break down a few barriers.

Can't help wondering whether it's a challenging item to wear throughout a football match tho.

Forza Fred
09-08-2023, 12:54 AM
Bit of a landmark moment for many women/girls this World Cup to see a Moroccan player wearing a hijab. That will help to break down a few barriers.

Can't help wondering whether it's a challenging item to wear throughout a football match tho.

Makes you stand out, so if you stuff up, you can’t claim mistaken identity!

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2023, 04:41 PM
i see stamper girl has had her ban increased by an extra game

she says she will learn from her mistake

Forza Fred
11-08-2023, 09:02 AM
Japan 0-2 down to Sweden in the second half and looking like they will be on their way home unless something unexpected happens.

Japan have won a lot of friends with their style of play, and many will be sorry to see them go.

Sweden though, are an experienced and highly rated side and it was always going to be a tall order for Japan to knock them off.

Australia will shut down tomorrow night (Saturday) when the Madildas play France in Brisbane for a place in the semis.

The PM had a meeting the other day with the State Premiers to discuss the possibility of them declaring a public holiday should they win the World Cup…….that’s how much it has captured the public’s imagination here.

Japan just missed a penalty!😢

easty
11-08-2023, 09:02 AM
Japan miss a pen...should never have been a pen

Groathillgrump
11-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Japan miss a pen...should never have been a pen

The Japanese player just fell over with no challenge made and VAR didn't even call for a review. What the hell are they looking at?

They missed the pen so justice was done.

JimBHibees
11-08-2023, 02:56 PM
I'd argue against it being a stamp because it wasn't a stamp (unless stamps in football are defined differently). She deliberately stood on her opponent with one foot is what actually happened. Most so-called stamps in football aren't really stamps. The closest example of a genuine stamp I can think of was Neil Simpson's assault on Iain Durrant. Night and day compared to what happened in the England women's game.

Definitely was a petulant stamp and no comparing it to a horrendous tackle really changes that.

Forza Fred
12-08-2023, 06:49 AM
Matildas v France 15 minutes away.

If the Matildas win this one Australia will just burst!

He's here!
12-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Matildas v France 15 minutes away.

If the Matildas win this one Australia will just burst!

Into extra time. Tense stuff. Penalties look likely.

Brightside
12-08-2023, 10:07 AM
What a result for Oz. Tense tense tense.

Curried
12-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Superb win for the Matilda's...Was that 11-10 on pens?

oneone73
12-08-2023, 10:09 AM
Superb win for the Matilda's...Was that 11-10 on pens?

8-7 I think

He's here!
12-08-2023, 10:15 AM
What a result for Oz. Tense tense tense.

Great stuff but yes, extraordinary tension.

Forza Fred
12-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Brilliant!

Just brilliant.

Can’t put into words how proud of these girls I am.

Lago
12-08-2023, 10:55 AM
Brilliant!

Just brilliant.

Should help to lift the profc of socaa in Qz:agree:

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2023, 11:19 AM
England 0 Columbia 1

flash
12-08-2023, 11:19 AM
Oh dear.

Hiber-nation
12-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Reminded me a wee bit of Ronaldinho v Seaman. A wee bit.

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2023, 11:23 AM
1-1 poor from the keeper

flash
12-08-2023, 11:23 AM
Top goalkeeping there. You would get kicked out under 8s for that.

DaveF
12-08-2023, 11:24 AM
What a clanger by the Colombia keeper.

He's here!
12-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Brilliant!

Just brilliant.

They dug deep for sure. I'd like to see them win it. Really enjoyed seeing England winning the Euros but it would be good to see the home nation win again here.

He's here!
12-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Top goalkeeping there. You would get kicked out under 8s for that.

Marshall-esque in Andorra.

flash
12-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Marshall-esque in Andorra.

A fair bit worse.

He's here!
12-08-2023, 12:38 PM
Steely comeback from England there to win.

Another great 75k crowd.

The semi-final v Australia could be cracker.

NAE NOOKIE
12-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Steely comeback from England there to win.

Another great 75k crowd.

The semi-final v Australia could be cracker.

Dunno what Columbia were thinking in all honesty, after about 15 minutes it was clear there wasn't much point in overloading the wings in order to get the ball down the sides and into the box if that meant you had one, at best two, forward players in there surrounded by 4 or 5 English lassies. They realised that with about 15 minutes to go ... too little too late. That wee #18 is clearly a cracking wee player, but the way they played allowed 2 or 3 England players to surround her whenever she got the ball.

Not taking away from England mind, Columbia are a decent side and tough as hell to go with it ... they won a battle today, not just a fitba match.

heretoday
12-08-2023, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't have minded England winning the cup till I saw them diving and stamping. Come on Oz!

He's here!
13-08-2023, 07:41 AM

Pinch me!

Co-hosts Australia creating sporting legacy at Women's World Cup - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66487364)

Australian media have certainly been well and truly won over. They're going mad for the Matildas.

It's been a great tournament and another huge boost for the profile of the women's game.

Forza Fred
15-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Spain v Sweden in Auckland on just now in first semi

Tomorrow the big one in Sydney, Australia v England.

Difficult to put into words the mood and excitement felt towards the Matildas throughout Australia.

Merchandise sold out, schools putting on a ‘Matildas Day’ tomorrow encouraging them to come in their Matildas gear.

Even my council in Sydney have put posters of support up on their garbage trucks!

Public Holiday will be declared in Sydney and rest of NSW if the Matildas win the cup.

The legacy for women’s sport in general will be huge, not just football.

Never thought I would see anything like this, in what is generally regarded as not a footballing nation…..association football that is

JimBHibees
15-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Spain v Sweden in Auckland on just now in first semi

Tomorrow the big one in Sydney, Australia v England.

Difficult to put into words the mood and excitement felt towards the Matildas throughout Australia.

Merchandise sold out, schools putting on a ‘Matildas Day’ tomorrow encouraging them to come in their Matildas gear.

Even my council in Sydney have put posters of support up on their garbage trucks!

Public Holiday will be declared in Sydney and rest of NSW if the Matildas win the cup.

The legacy for women’s sport in general will be huge, not just football.

Never thought I would see anything like this, in what is generally regarded as not a footballing nation…..association football that is

Great to hear Australia are such a sports mad country. Will be close against England who I think might edge it however hope Aus win.

Forza Fred
15-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Great to hear Australia are such a sports mad country. Will be close against England who I think might edge it however hope Aus win.

Top side England, who we beat 2-0 in England in a warm up game a couple of months ago.

That was a friendly thought, this is different, but there is a spirit in the Matildas camp, and the nation’s support for them that is worth a goal of a start to them I reckon.

Whatever happens….when the game is on the streets throughout Australia will be deserted.

He's here!
15-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Top side England, who we beat 2-0 in England in a warm up game a couple of months ago.That was a friendly thought, this is different, but there is a spirit in the Matildas camp, and the nation’s support for them that is worth a goal of a start to them I reckon.Whatever happens….when the game is on the streets throughout Australia will be deserted.I remember way back in the day when you used to edit the Australian Hibs supporters' fanzine (the name escapes me for now!) so I'm guessing you've now lived significantly more of your life in Australia than you did in Scotland? Your passion for the Aussie sporting teams certainly shines through so I was wondering whether you've come to regard yourself as an adopted Australian over the years?

JimBHibees
15-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Top side England, who we beat 2-0 in England in a warm up game a couple of months ago.

That was a friendly thought, this is different, but there is a spirit in the Matildas camp, and the nation’s support for them that is worth a goal of a start to them I reckon.

Whatever happens….when the game is on the streets throughout Australia will be deserted.

Yes will be tight. Wonder if Sam Kerr will start.

Forza Fred
16-08-2023, 12:45 AM
I remember way back in the day when you used to edit the Australian Hibs supporters' fanzine (the name escapes me for now!) so I'm guessing you've now lived significantly more of your life in Australia than you did in Scotland? Your passion for the Aussie sporting teams certainly shines through so I was wondering whether you've come to regard yourself as an adopted Australian over the years?

'Here We Go!' was its name and ran from 1987 until...basically the internet took our lives over completely .

I left as a 23 year old in 1974 when Turnbull's Tornadoes were the soup of the day, but always, and I mean always. supported HIbs from afar...some of the stories about how we got the results....óne ring means we have lost the league Cup final, two rings we have won it' ...and the steady airmailed stream of pink news and press cuttings seem like a generation ago...which they were.

Wouldn't say I had a passion for Aussie sporting teams....Aussie Rules, Rugby League are the big sports here, and I have zero interest in them.

Its different in regards to fitba, and I played, coached and even commented and wrote about it here...avidly support the Socceroos when they play and would marry all and every one of the Matildas!

For all of that,, unlike most I have never taken out Australian citizenship and still consider myself Scottish...not British though....but Scottish

If I seem defensive of Oz fitba.....its probably because there is a bit of arrogance on display when fitba players here or their abilities are mentioned ..football snobbery if you like...where because a player was playing in Australia he is automatically assumed as being likely to be of a lesser standard than if he was Scottish...the most recent example being the signing of Alfie...who many on here had him written off before he kicked a ball because well he was 36 and playing in yon A League!!

Probably how you guys feel when the English talk about Sottish teams and players...a kind of uninformed bias if you like.

There are good players here..as everywhere..and there are average and pish players too...just as thereare in Scotland

I laugh a bit when someone comments that they have watched an A League game and it was pish so Australian fitba is pish in general........I went to bed at 2 am on Monday morning hoping nobody else here tuned in for the first time to HIbs TV to watch us at Motherwell or they would think the same about Scottish fitba.

Just as I may seem defensive at times of Australian fitba, I am equally defensive here of Scottish fitba ...you may or may not be surprised to know that most locals dismiss the SPL as a 'pub league' down here, in the same way that in Scotland the A League is thought of.

To answer your question though...even if I have lived here for 49 years I don't see myself, or I don't think anyone else out here who meets me, sees me as being anything other than Scottish.

That said, for me the best thing I did though was jump on that Assisted Passage Qantas Jet back in 74....and I have never regretted it ......guess I did a Jason Cummings.

HoboHarry
16-08-2023, 04:18 AM
'Here We Go!' was its name and ran from 1987 until...basically the internet took our lives over completely .I left as a 23 year old in 1974 when Turnbull's Tornadoes were the soup of the day, but always, and I mean always. supported HIbs from afar...some of the stories about how we got the results....óne ring means we have lost the league Cup final, two rings we have won it' ...and the steady airmailed stream of pink news and press cuttings seem like a generation ago...which they were.Wouldn't say I had a passion for Aussie sporting teams....Aussie Rules, Rugby League are the big sports here, and I have zero interest in them.Its different in regards to fitba, and I played, coached and even commented and wrote about it here...avidly support the Socceroos when they play and would marry all and every one of the Matildas!For all of that,, unlike most I have never taken out Australian citizenship and still consider myself Scottish...not British though....but ScottishIf I seem defensive of Oz fitba.....its probably because there is a bit of arrogance on display when fitba players here or their abilities are mentioned ..football snobbery if you like...where because a player was playing in Australia he is automatically assumed as being likely to be of a lesser standard than if he was Scottish...the most recent example being the signing of Alfie...who many on here had him written off before he kicked a ball because well he was 36 and playing in yon A League!!Probably how you guys feel when the English talk about Sottish teams and players...a kind of uninformed bias if you like.There are good players here..as everywhere..and there are average and pish players too...just as thereare in ScotlandI layugh a bit when someone comments that they have watched an A League game and it was pish so Australian fitba is pish in general........I went to bed at 2 am on Monday morning hoping nobody else here tuned in for the first time to HIbs TV to watch us at Motherwell or they would think the same about Scottish fitba.Just as I may seem defensive at times of Australian fitba, I am equally defensive here of Scottish fitba ...you may or may not be surprised to know that most locals dismiss the SPL as a 'pub league' down here, in the same way that in Scotland the A League is thought of.To answer your question though...even if I have lived here for 46 years I don't see myself, or I don't think anyone else out here who meets me, sees me as being anything other than Scottish.That said, for me the best thing I did though was jump on that Assisted Passage Qantas Jet back in 74....and I have never regretted it ......guess I did a Jason Cummings.Brilliant post Fred and I enjoyed reading that. I've spent 26 years of my life away from Scottish soil so not nearly as long as you but your take on things align pretty much with my own. Bravo mate and keep up the good work with your posts.

DaveF
16-08-2023, 06:14 AM
'Here We Go!' was its name and ran from 1987 until...basically the internet took our lives over completely .

I left as a 23 year old in 1974 when Turnbull's Tornadoes were the soup of the day, but always, and I mean always. supported HIbs from afar...some of the stories about how we got the results....óne ring means we have lost the league Cup final, two rings we have won it' ...and the steady airmailed stream of pink news and press cuttings seem like a generation ago...which they were.

Wouldn't say I had a passion for Aussie sporting teams....Aussie Rules, Rugby League are the big sports here, and I have zero interest in them.

Its different in regards to fitba, and I played, coached and even commented and wrote about it here...avidly support the Socceroos when they play and would marry all and every one of the Matildas!

For all of that,, unlike most I have never taken out Australian citizenship and still consider myself Scottish...not British though....but Scottish

If I seem defensive of Oz fitba.....its probably because there is a bit of arrogance on display when fitba players here or their abilities are mentioned ..football snobbery if you like...where because a player was playing in Australia he is automatically assumed as being likely to be of a lesser standard than if he was Scottish...the most recent example being the signing of Alfie...who many on here had him written off before he kicked a ball because well he was 36 and playing in yon A League!!

Probably how you guys feel when the English talk about Sottish teams and players...a kind of uninformed bias if you like.

There are good players here..as everywhere..and there are average and pish players too...just as thereare in Scotland

I layugh a bit when someone comments that they have watched an A League game and it was pish so Australian fitba is pish in general........I went to bed at 2 am on Monday morning hoping nobody else here tuned in for the first time to HIbs TV to watch us at Motherwell or they would think the same about Scottish fitba.

Just as I may seem defensive at times of Australian fitba, I am equally defensive here of Scottish fitba ...you may or may not be surprised to know that most locals dismiss the SPL as a 'pub league' down here, in the same way that in Scotland the A League is thought of.

To answer your question though...even if I have lived here for 46 years I don't see myself, or I don't think anyone else out here who meets me, sees me as being anything other than Scottish.

That said, for me the best thing I did though was jump on that Assisted Passage Qantas Jet back in 74....and I have never regretted it ......guess I did a Jason Cummings.

I think (could be wrong) I have a copy of one of the fanzines from my time over in Oz when you kindly took a day out to look after a pair of Scottish travellers (as you very often did).

I certainly have a pair of beer can Huggies with the Oz emblem on them. Meeting fellow Hibs fans when so far from home back then was a real godsend.

Forza Fred
16-08-2023, 06:29 AM
I think (could be wrong) I have a copy of one of the fanzines from my time over in Oz when you kindly took a day out to look after a pair of Scottish travellers (as you very often did).

I certainly have a pair of beer can Huggies with the Oz emblem on them. Meeting fellow Hibs fans when so far from home back then was a real godsend.

No doubt our meet up involved the demon drink!
Where did we go this time?
Marconi Club or in the city?

DaveF
16-08-2023, 06:52 AM
No doubt our meet up involved the demon drink!
Where did we go this time?
Marconi Club or in the city?

Marconi. And yes, there were beers. A mere 28 years ago 😳

Forza Fred
16-08-2023, 07:23 AM
Marconi. And yes, there were beers. A mere 28 years ago 😳

Wuz it you that was flying out the next day or two and had your last $20 safety pinned to your shirt…..or did we meet up for a game?

DaveF
16-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Wuz it you that was flying out the next day or two and had your last $20 safety pinned to your shirt…..or did we meet up for a game?

Nah, not me as I kicked about Oz for a few more months. I think it was a game - must have been if it was at Marconi.

Most of that trip is a hazy memory now.

JimBHibees
16-08-2023, 07:57 AM

I laugh a bit when someone comments that they have watched an A League game and it was pish so Australian fitba is pish in general........I went to bed at 2 am on Monday morning hoping nobody else here tuned in for the first time to HIbs TV to watch us at Motherwell or they would think the same about Scottish fitba.

To answer your question though...even if I have lived here for 49 years I don't see myself, or I don't think anyone else out here who meets me, sees me as being anything other than Scottish.

Fantastic post. Sounds like you have and continue to have an amazing life. Ageee with your comments re football snobbery. Hope the Matildas do the business today.

BILLYHIBS
16-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Australia 0 v 1 England

Aldo
16-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Pick that out! ⚽️

Brightside
16-08-2023, 10:46 AM
This has been a top game. Work rate from both teams has been unreal.

Forza Fred
16-08-2023, 10:54 AM
England controlling the midfield and at some point The Matildas are going to have to pressure England and forget about attacking just on the break.

Lots of effort from the Tillies but England playing better football, and look more dangerous.

Think they need to get Raso to take it up the right and get the ball into the box

Northernhibee
16-08-2023, 11:21 AM
That's a very good goal indeed. 1-1.

weecounty hibby
Surprisingly loud cheer in the bar in Glasgow Airport just now!!

jeffers
Wow ! What a strike.

Tyler Durden
16-08-2023, 11:23 AM
I think the nick off Bright there, done the keeper. Not sure it had the height without that deflection.

Great game again

Brightside
16-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Been 2 great goals on a top class game of football. You'd have to be mental to not enjoy this.

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-08-2023, 11:26 AM
Not even watching, slaving away at work. But Mon the Matilda’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
16-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Terrible defending from the Matilda's. 2-1.

jeffers
16-08-2023, 11:29 AM
That was like some of our recent defending for England’s second goal.

flash
16-08-2023, 11:30 AM
Just put it on for the first time as I thought England were going to get turned over.
That's it back off again.

weecounty hibby
16-08-2023, 11:32 AM
Poop!!

andrew70
16-08-2023, 11:39 AM
England have once again been excellent. Walsh is superb. Millie Bright shouldn’t have been backing off Kerr like that though.

Really enjoyed the whole tournament actually hope England win the whole thing and James gets her comeback.

Lago
16-08-2023, 11:40 AM
Just put it on for the first time as I thought England were going to get turned over.That's it back off again.England the better team deservingly ahead

Rumble de Thump
16-08-2023, 11:41 AM
England should have had a few yellow cards for fouls and time wasting but the ref doesn't seem to want to give bookings.

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-08-2023, 11:42 AM
England have once again been excellent. Walsh is superb. Millie Bright shouldn’t have been backing off Kerr like that though.

Really enjoyed the whole tournament actually hope England win the whole thing and James gets her comeback.

I want England to lose at tiddlywinks, don’t get me wrong. But I can’t help but think if they do win it it’ll do womens and girls football the world of good in the whole of the UK. My wee niece is just starting to get into football and I have to say the accessibility is much better for her than it was for my cousins etc 15-20 years ago. Can only be a good thing if they do go on to win it (even if I have to hold my nose when I say that!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
16-08-2023, 11:42 AM
England should have had a few yellow cards for fouls and time wasting but the ref doesn't seem to want to give bookings.Booked a few

jeffers
16-08-2023, 11:43 AM
Game over. Better team tbf.

Aldo
16-08-2023, 11:44 AM
Hemp has been superb today!

Rumble de Thump
16-08-2023, 11:44 AM
Game over. Sam Kerr seems to be better at shooting from nearer the half way line than the goal line.