PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United

h18eeynick
19-07-2023, 08:22 PM
I had a 3 day trial in 1981 before they lost to Rangers 2-1 in the league cup final on the Saturday and scored a hattrick against Scotlands main defence in a training match. They won the league in 1983. Gutted that they are in such decline.Relegated and lost to Spartans who I played against several times and then Partick in the cup. I was never going to make it at that level but it was my decision. Jim Mclean and Walter Smith were twats but wanted to give me a chance. Eamon Bannon whipped in serious crosses at corners that almost took my head off ! Hamish McAlpine saved pretty much everything at training but my 3 goals wearing Paul Sturrocks boots as you had to have moulded studs rather than proper studs made my day. Richard Gough was just breaking through in to the team and training was only about 20 players, all first team. In my first game back in the Borders the central defender said I was ****. I walked off after about 70 minutes as I thougbt 5 goals against them was enough !

DaveF
19-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Now we have to work out who you are. Did you play professionally at all? Certainly mixed with good company all those years ago.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 10:43 AM
Now we have to work out who you are. Did you play professionally at all? Certainly mixed with good company all those years ago.

No I just played East of Scotland league. Mainly Selkirk but had a season with Kelso and made my debut against the Hibs team that played Rangers on the opening game when Souness made his debut and got sent off. John Collins scored two crackers. We got beat 5-1 and I won us our penalty when just one on one with Alan Rough before Gordon Rae clattered me to the ground !

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 10:52 AM

I seriously damaged my right knee ligaments at 19 and had 2 operations but was never the same. Played centre forward until 43, switched to centre half and won 4 end of season awards . Had to stop at 45 as my left leg decided to join my right leg in not working. Totally different game playing at the back. Upfront I wanted the ball all the time and despite good heading ability I tried to bring the ball down with my chest. In defence it was just get rid as quickly as I could ! Me and Jacko in defence hardly lost a header in any games ! Loved it

eastmainsmsh
21-07-2023, 10:53 AM
No I just played East of Scotland league. Mainly Selkirk but had a season with Kelso and made my debut against the Hibs team that played Rangers on the opening game when Souness made his debut and got sent off. John Collins scored two crackers. We got beat 5-1 and I won us our penalty when just one on one with Alan Rough before Gordon Rae clattered me to the ground !

Did u play in Stirling Albion cup game

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:18 PM
Did u play in Stirling Albion cup game

Unfortunately yes. The club went bust due to the bar weeks before the game and we ended up with most of our second team. I was a master at taking kicks offs after that match ! I was the only Selkirk player to have a shot and the keeper had to run off his line to pick it up ! I played in a cup game against Brora Rangers and had to go to casualty for stiches to my face after getting cleared out by the Goalie. Played in a friendly against Dunfermline with Keith Wright in their ranks and met him a few years later on holiday in Majorca when he was with Hibs. Happy memories. Scored a scorcher at Carlisle United in a cup final against Eddie Stobbarts . Top left corner with my weaker left foot from the edge of the box !

Diclonius
21-07-2023, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately yes. The club went bust due to the bar weeks before the game and we ended up with most of our second team. I was a master at taking kicks offs after that match ! I was the only Selkirk player to have a shot and the keeper had to run off his line to pick it up ! I played in a cup game against Brora Rangers and had to go to casualty for stiches to my face after getting cleared out by the Goalie. Played in a friendly against Dunfermline with Keith Wright in their ranks and met him a few years later on holiday in Majorca when he was with Hibs. Happy memories. Scored a scorcher at Carlisle United in a cup final against Eddie Stobbarts . Top left corner with my weaker left foot from the edge of the box !

I've figured out who you are, won't reveal though!

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 12:28 PM

I was at that Kelso game - still have the programme somewhere

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:28 PM
Played in a cup game in Ayrshire when I played for a Stranraer team having moved there. The centre half didn't like my elbows in his face and threatened to knife me ! Someone broke in to the changing rooms and stole all the wallets. Another game in a rough village north of Dumfries with houses around the pitch a local attacked our player taking a throw in by smashing a can of cider on his head and again our wallets got nicked. I only ever got booked twice , both for obstruction and sent off once. I was playing midfield and the ref was about 80 and let everybody get away with anything. The player kicked me off the ball in front of the ref who did nothing so I smacked his chin and walked off. So did he as he wanted a fight. It was never reported !

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:30 PM
I was at that game - still have the programme somewhere

Excellent. My name is Nick Austin. Played for Kelso United around 1986 I think. My user name is my car registration number which I got for my 40th. I used to fish near Roxburgh as lived in Jedburgh and Ancrum

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 12:43 PM
Excellent. My name is Nick Austin. Played for Kelso United around 1986 I think. My user name is my car registration number which I got for my 40th. I used to fish near Roxburgh as lived in Jedburgh and Ancrum

Was about to guess Nicky Austin as found the programme and it says in the “managers notes” that he signed you from local rivals Selkirk.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:44 PM
The Hibs game was Tuesday 4 th August 1987 and we Hibs played Rangers at Easter Road on the Saturday. Team against Kelso United was Rough , Hunter , Milne, Mitchell, Rae,Collins, May, McBride, Weir,Cowans and Tortolano. Subs were McCluskey and Kane. Manager was Alex Miller. I played number 10 as number 9 was already taken . I took the penalties for Selkirk but was overridden by our captain for kelso who at least scored it.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:50 PM
They ran rings around us with short passes . We ran Whitehill Welfare very close to the title that year in the top league but were well off the mark. Collins just stroked the ball in to the top corner twice from the edge of the box.

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 12:50 PM
Also has a match report. Details you scored twice on your debut in a 7-2 win over Heart of Liddesdale.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 12:56 PM
We developed a great move at Kelso at corners where Clarky would pass the ball to me near the front post and because I was quite accurate with my passing I would knock it back towards the 18 yard line where he smacked it in for a goal.

Green Man
21-07-2023, 12:57 PM
The Hibs game was Tuesday 4 th August 1987 and we Hibs played Rangers at Easter Road on the Saturday. Team against Kelso United was Rough , Hunter , Milne, Mitchell, Rae,Collins, May, McBride, Weir,Cowans and Tortolano. Subs were McCluskey and Kane. Manager was Alex Miller. I played number 10 as number 9 was already taken . I took the penalties for Selkirk but was overridden by our captain for kelso who at least scored it.

That was my first ever Hibs match! I have family in Kelso and as we were down visiting, my dad took me and my cousins to the game. I had remembered it as 6-0 but had no source to check so thanks for confirming the score.

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Was definitely 5-1. From memory the Kelso penalty was the last goal of the game. Was a dive btw 😉

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 01:02 PM
I know I am being a bit indulgent . One of my best memories is playing against Selkirk for the first ever time. Joined them at 14 and left them at 23. Played midfield for Ancrum and got wound up by the Selkirk players for most of the match and told I was ***** etc. With 5 minutes to go and about 40 yards out i smashed a shot in to the top left corner. The local paper called me a traitor in their headline ! Still got it as kept a scrap book.

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 01:03 PM
Hibs actually played Dunfermline away 4 days later on the opening league match of the season. 3-3 draw. We did play Rangers on 12th Aug (1st home game) and won 1-0 with a Collins goal. That programme mentions the Kelso game but only details the score and Hibs goal scorers (Collins x 2, Weir, Kane and McCluskey).

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 01:05 PM
Was definitely 5-1. From memory the Kelso penalty was the last goal of the game. Was a dive btw 😉

Love it ! I actually quite often got slagged off for not going down as my energy made me just want to get up and chase the ball. Gordon Rae actually married a Selkirk girl

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 01:18 PM
I played in a game near Carlisle when about 43 and me and my opponent battered each other all game but got up and shook hands after each challenge. He would be about 25. The ref came over after the game , shook our hands and said he had never come across such a sporting encounter in his life. Another game they had a tall and top scoring Italian centre forward. Again I was about 43. He was taken off at half time. Brought on a young fast forward but he didn't realise that I was backing off him so everytime he tried to knock the ball past me I already had a few yards on him. I told him and he scored 2 goals by controlling it and then running past me. The Manager came and shook my hand and told me nobody had played his Italian like I did. He was so tall that he didn't seem to think he needed to jump

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 01:21 PM
Hibs actually played Dunfermline away 4 days later on the opening league match of the season. 3-3 draw. We did play Rangers on 12th Aug (1st home game) and won 1-0 with a Collins goal. That programme mentions the Kelso game but only details the score and Hibs goal scorers (Collins x 2, Weir, Kane and McCluskey).

Great reply. Didnt know that about Dunfermline. McCluskey got stamped on by Souness. Yes I think I would have got the scorers right.

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Great reply. Didnt know that about Dunfermline. McCluskey got stamped on by Souness. Yes I think I would have got the scorers right.
The Souness red card was the season before (Aug 1986) and Hibs won 2-1 👍🏼

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 01:49 PM
The Souness red card was the season before (Aug 1986) and Hibs won 2-1 👍🏼

Maybe i got my year wrong as it was definately that game and I thought we won 2-1. Was the Rangers game the opening fixture that season ?

RoxburghHibs
21-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Maybe i got my year wrong as it was definately that game and I thought we won 2-1. Was the Rangers game the opening fixture that season ?

Hibs played Rangers in our first home league game (midweek) a week after the Kelso match. We won that 1-0. The Souness red card game was the opening league game from the season before (86-87).

I only know this as just read the programmes 😁

eastmainsmsh
21-07-2023, 02:49 PM

Think I know now who you are lol

Family friend played for Albion that Day Charlie Mcneill

zitelli62
21-07-2023, 03:03 PM

I played East of Scotland early to mid eighties so probably played against you I was a nippy winger at the time before moving back as the years wore on your bringing back a lot of good memories for me for when I played great times thanks.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 03:59 PM
I played East of Scotland early to mid eighties so probably played against you I was a nippy winger at the time before moving back as the years wore on your bringing back a lot of good memories for me for when I played great times thanks.

Good to reflect back. We played for the jersey before money came in to the amatuer game. Selkirk paid £1,000 to the managers son before I moved on. I didnt even claim travel expenses

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 04:04 PM
I played against Spartans in Edinburgh. They have just been promoted to the league and beat Dundee United. We were getting beat 5 nil and I got the ball on the half way line. Got totally halved and player got sent off. Put me out for weeks. Crazy challenge.

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 04:05 PM
Think I know now who you are lol

Family friend played for Albion that Day Charlie Mcneill

Did he score ? Our goalie appeared on Match of the Day and milked it despite being ***** !

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 04:08 PM
It was only 5 nil at half time and instead of tighening up we just played the same way . Ball over the top every time and their wingers ripped us apart

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 04:16 PM
Played in a friendly against a Lancaster team and took the ball on the half way line. Beat 5 players to get in the left hand side of the box. Remembered Brian Laudrope playing for Rangers and chipping the goalie. Went for it and scored in to far top corner. Wasnt the best goal though as one of our players scored a stunning header from the edge of the box and his brother almost broke the net with a 25 yard free kick !

zitelli62
21-07-2023, 04:27 PM
I played against Spartans in Edinburgh. They have just been promoted to the league and beat Dundee United. We were getting beat 5 nil and I got the ball on the half way line. Got totally halved and player got sent off. Put me out for weeks. Crazy challenge.

Spartans are my least favourite team as I played for craigroyston we both shared city park though Spartans seem to be well now sadly not the same for craigroyston.

poolman
21-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Don't give a toss about the Arabs one way or another

Always remember that smug git Alex Smith smiling and putting his arm around his assistant after 90 minutes thinking they had a draw after watching his team diving and time wasting then up steps Matty Jack, great defensive midfielder, loved it when Russel slotted home the penalty after about 95 mins

Loved beating them in the semi at Hampden where we found a new hero in Conrad

Also liked the start of this season as the new numpty Goodwin looks like making an arse of it

h18eeynick
21-07-2023, 05:35 PM
Love this chat ! Share your memories as a footballer whatever level. Started as a goalie then a right back and at 14 having been rejected by Selkirk ended up with my trial at 17 when a top referee decided to contact Dundee United. A lot of my school friends gave up football to become good rugby players. Had a lot of clubs look at me including Hearts and Newcastle but already had a jib in a bank and was earning £50 a week and Richard Gough was on that and Paul Sturrock as a Scotland striker not even on £1,000. They trained on school pitches and Walter Smith drove the minibus for training. Just didin't appeal to me. They wanted me to play against Celtic in a training game but my boss gave me 3 days of sick leave and nothing more. My first training session was against Ralph Milne at their main stadium. Got a lift in a chain smoking car, Milne was the fastest player and tucked his ears in. Went on to play for Man United. When I scored my 3 goals it was against Hegarty , Narrey, Bannon and Mcalpine and I think maybe Holt

Since452
21-07-2023, 05:35 PM
Delighted at their plight to be honest. Holding on to the 80's harder than Aberdeen and the Rewind festival.

Carheenlea
21-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Delighted at their plight to be honest. Holding on to the 80's harder than Aberdeen and the Rewind festival.

:hilarious

DaveF
21-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Enjoying this thread, even if it's 'just' (and I don't mean that disparagingly) a few guys indulging in memories of days gone by.

Good stuff 👍

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 07:51 AM
Enjoying this thread, even if it's 'just' (and I don't mean that disparagingly) a few guys indulging in memories of days gone by.

Good stuff 👍

It's all we have left to cling on to ! That said my brother still plays 5 aside at 64 and a neighbour at nearly 70 ! I can't even kick a tennis ball for the dogs due to my knees and my back is absolutely knackered after years of sit ups at training !

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 10:20 AM
I worked as a Bank Manager for Clydesdale when they sponsored the league and was in the Directors box for numerous games plus away games including Hearts, Celtic and Motherwell. Got to know Petrie very well and at half time at Tynecastle he climbed over several rows of seats to shake my hand. I forget the name of a player for us with a long surname but I was next to Petrie and the Finance Director and they mentioned jockingly how much that would make on the strip !

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 10:48 AM
I represented Gretna at the opening of the new season PR photo shoot at Hampden and had to wear a Gretna strip. Stood next to all the captains including Jones from Hibs and Gordon from Hearts in his first stint. I am just under 6 foot but felt tiny ! Big guys ! We had quite a few road shows for the league as sponsors with many top guys on the panel . Spent about an hour personally with Scotland boss craig Brown chatting away.Quite a character and we mentioned the 6 all draw with Motherwell

A Hi-Bee
22-07-2023, 01:12 PM
I represented Gretna at the opening of the new season PR photo shoot at Hampden and had to wear a Gretna strip. Stood next to all the captains including Jones from Hibs and Gordon from Hearts in his first stint. I am just under 6 foot but felt tiny ! Big guys ! We had quite a few road shows for the league as sponsors with many top guys on the panel . Spent about an hour personally with Scotland boss craig Brown chatting away.Quite a character and we mentioned the 6 all draw with Motherwell

Any references to who started the Dundee Hibs, when you wandered around the corridors at Dundee's 2nd team.
Good wee bit o history.

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 02:34 PM
Any references to who started the Dundee Hibs, when you wandered around the corridors at Dundee's 2nd team.
Good wee bit o history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dundee_United_F.C.

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Good wee bit o history.

For some reason the link won't copy. Just use Google and type in Dundee Hibernian and you will get the history back to 1909

A Hi-Bee
22-07-2023, 03:52 PM
For some reason the link won't copy. Just use Google and type in Dundee Hibernian and you will get the history back to 1909

Thanks for that although I know about their history. I was asking if they showed any appreciation to the real Hibs at the stadium or within a historical part of the ground.
If it wisnie for the real Hibs etc, etc.
GGTTH

h18eeynick
22-07-2023, 08:23 PM
Thanks for that although I know about their history. I was asking if they showed any appreciation to the real Hibs at the stadium or within a historical part of the ground.
If it wisnie for the real Hibs etc, etc.
GGTTH

Nothing that I saw but was only in the changing rooms and Jim McLeans office. Never in the likes of the board room