PDA

View Full Version : Was Spain the Correct Choice for Pre-Season

offshorehibby
14-07-2023, 09:00 AM
With temperatures reaching 30/40 degrees is the likes of Spain the correct choice for Pre-Season training camps.

Surely the players can't perform to their best in high temperatures like that.

GreenPJ
14-07-2023, 09:06 AM
With temperatures reaching 30/40 degrees is the likes of Spain the correct choice for Pre-Season training camps.

It's pre-season not looking for them to perform their best in pre-season more about fitness and formations. Plus am guessing this was booked/organised at least 6 months ago at which point heat wave was probably not predicted.

J-C
14-07-2023, 09:07 AM
All about team bonding too, get the lads away from families and golf etc,concentrate on fitness and tactics, would've helped having more players in and more 1st team squad available.

kentao
14-07-2023, 09:08 AM

Think Joe Newell said on the commentary if you can run in 40 degree heat in Spain you can run all day in Scotland. Plus when they are not at training they will be having team bonding round the pool or doing other activities together which will really bring the new boys into the group culture.

HFC93
14-07-2023, 09:11 AM

We might be playing Inter Club d'Escaldes in similar conditions in a few weeks so surely it’s good preparation.

B.H.F.C
14-07-2023, 09:15 AM
We’ll know when the season starts.

We looked knackered last night but that was at the end of a week of triple sessions in extreme heat so we would be.

Never know where we might end up in Europe so good perpetration for that as well.

Since452
14-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Many athletes use hot weather training to get as fit as they can so it's probably the ideal place for pre season. Team bonding as well.

Allant1981
14-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Definitely an ideal place to go

Jones28
14-07-2023, 10:41 AM
Big Rocky says aye it was

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F03EQRAWcBMH8ch?format=jpg&name=large

H18 SFR
14-07-2023, 10:50 AM
I honestly think the decision to go there was solid. Good prep for the UCL qualifiers once we get through this round.

Billy Whizz
14-07-2023, 10:52 AM
Why do Hibs fly home?

CapitalGreen
14-07-2023, 10:56 AM
Why do Hibs fly home?

Can’t stay in Spain forever 😂

They’ve already flown home.

vercol36
14-07-2023, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure a few days in the Spanish heat does not count as 'hot weather training'. The body won't have time to acclimatise properly in such a short space of time. So any perceived benefit on fitness is a nonsense, I'd imagine.

O'Rourke3
14-07-2023, 11:01 AM
Why do Hibs fly home?

Too far to swim....

WeeRussell
14-07-2023, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure a few days in the Spanish heat does not count as 'hot weather training'. The body won't have time to acclimatise properly in such a short space of time. So any perceived benefit on fitness is a nonsense, I'd imagine.

I think ‘hot weather training’ is exactly what it was.

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2023, 11:19 AM
Well if the idea was to get the players running about like a bunch o' dafties after 5 days of triple training sessions in baking heat we definitely picked the right opposition for the 2nd game.

How much we learn playing teams about 2 levels above us I always wonder about. Is it really good for the teams confidence to be shown just how far off being top level players they are?
I appreciate they were probably all that was available in the area during that week, but what do we really learn against opposition who can negate any tactics or formation we might be trying out simply because of their quality and physicality? I'm not convinced it makes our players better, or that the manager is going to learn a lot about how a particular formation will work in our league.

It is what it is though and a far better indication of how things are shaping up will be the game with Groningen ... They were utterly pish last season and got relegated in last place, but their players should still be roughly on a level with ours and the team we put out should I would imagine be far closer to what LJ sees as his go to starting line up.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2023, 11:26 AM
I'm not totally sold on the benefits of a few days training in warm weather. When a lot of athletes go away for training camps it's usually for a 4-6 week block and as much about altitude as heat.

In saying that a few days with the sun on their back, working hard then bonding in their down time won't have done any harm. Loads of clubs do it and it won't be cheap so you have to assume they all feel there is tangible benefits.

Since452
14-07-2023, 12:22 PM
Well if the idea was to get the players running about like a bunch o' dafties after 5 days of triple training sessions in baking heat we definitely picked the right opposition for the 2nd game.

How much we learn playing teams about 2 levels above us I always wonder about. Is it really good for the teams confidence to be shown just how far off being top level players they are?
I appreciate they were probably all that was available in the area during that week, but what do we really learn against opposition who can negate any tactics or formation we might be trying out simply because of their quality and physicality? I'm not convinced it makes our players better, or that the manager is going to learn a lot about how a particular formation will work in our league.

It is what it is though and a far better indication of how things are shaping up will be the game with Groningen ... They were utterly pish last season and got relegated in last place, but their players should still be roughly on a level with ours and the team we put out should I would imagine be far closer to what LJ sees as his go to starting line up.

We'll hopefully have some of the injured players available for selection for Groningen. I won't read too much in to that game if we win 3-0 or lose 3-0 as long as we're fit for the European game.

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2023, 12:41 PM
We'll hopefully have some of the injured players available for selection for Groningen. I won't read too much in to that game if we win 3-0 or lose 3-0 as long as we're fit for the European game.

Usually don't read much into friendlies mate. But this is our last one before the serious stuff starts and you would hope to see a strong organised performance in it ... I for one would find it difficult to shrug my shoulders at anything like a 0 - 3 defeat from a Dutch 2nd division team at home less than a week before we play a European away match, no matter the alleged quality of who we might be facing.

Pagan Hibernia
14-07-2023, 06:54 PM
It's pre-season not looking for them to perform their best in pre-season more about fitness and formations. Plus am guessing this was booked/organised at least 6 months ago at which point heat wave was probably not predicted.

still Spain in July. It was never not going to be 30+

Bridge hibs
14-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Why do Hibs fly home?

Cos swimming is a long way ? Unless you are Fish of course 😃

Donegal Hibby
14-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Cos swimming is a long way ? Unless you are Fish of course 😃
Stevenson doesn't have to swim though as he can walk on water .

Bridge hibs
14-07-2023, 08:25 PM
Stevenson doesn't have to swim though as he can walk on water .

The sea parted for Stevenson 🤣

Not In The Know
14-07-2023, 09:15 PM
Are we still at the stage when we think players shouldn’t be getting jollies away pre season? Deary me…

hibee-boys
14-07-2023, 09:15 PM
Judging by the weather we’ve experienced last few days it’s been a master stroke!

Pagan Hibernia
14-07-2023, 09:39 PM
Are we still at the stage when we think players shouldn’t be getting jollies away pre season? Deary me…

why exactly should they be getting ‘jollies away’ pre-season? Haven’t they got their summer break for that?

dp00
14-07-2023, 09:41 PM

I’m sure the experts know a thing or two about these trips had there say and they decided it was worth it

This trip will have been about more than the training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wireless
14-07-2023, 09:47 PM
why exactly should they be getting ‘jollies away’ pre-season? Haven’t they got their summer break for that?
Somehow I wouldn’t say the trip to Spain was anything other than very hard work for the squad however will be well worth there efforts when the season gets going.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Cant understand why they are not trudging up the dunes at Gullane.:greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
14-07-2023, 09:55 PM
Somehow I wouldn’t say the trip to Spain was anything other than very hard work for the squad however will be well worth there efforts when the season gets going.

I agree and I’m all for it

scm70nyd1973
14-07-2023, 10:33 PM

Eh - totally and utterly selfishly it’s a yes from me coz I live here and the training camp was walking distance from my hoose 🤭

HoboHarry
14-07-2023, 11:34 PM
40C here and I'm in fine shape, drinking wine like a champion.....

Musselbound
15-07-2023, 06:33 AM
Judging by the weather we’ve experienced last few days it’s been a master stroke!

Heat stroke more like.

Not In The Know
15-07-2023, 07:21 AM

it’s not a jolly.

jacomo
15-07-2023, 07:39 AM
I'm not totally sold on the benefits of a few days training in warm weather. When a lot of athletes go away for training camps it's usually for a 4-6 week block and as much about altitude as heat.

In saying that a few days with the sun on their back, working hard then bonding in their down time won't have done any harm. Loads of clubs do it and it won't be cheap so you have to assume they all feel there is tangible benefits.

I think the team bonding and building ‘the group’ is as important as any actual training, which let’s be honest could happen at East Mains.

The heat will have been an unexpected factor and worth bearing in mind for the future. Scotland might benefit if more European clubs choose to come here for pre season work.

DanishJohn
15-07-2023, 08:05 AM
Everyone rightly has an opinion on the matter.

I just wonder what the statistics show ? If you examined the stats for say the last 20 years and broke it down into the following:-

Going to the sun Results in say first 6 matches End of season league position
Not going "" "

Bridge hibs
15-07-2023, 08:10 AM

I just wonder what the statistics show ? If you examined the stats for say the last 20 years and broke it down into the following:-

Not going "" "Its training in a warm climate, hundreds of clubs do it, I dont think it has any bearing on how our season starts or ends

MikeyS
15-07-2023, 09:14 AM

Not going "" "

Everyone does have the right to share their opinion but it was a much more enjoyable time pre social media when there wasn't a platform for all to act as if they are amateur psychologists/sports scientists/physios etc etc. And question every little thing the club do!

In my opinion, of course 😜

Eyrie
15-07-2023, 09:16 AM
Its training in a warm climate, hundreds of clubs do it, I dont think it has any bearing on how our season starts or ends

There was a benefit to the first clubs that did it, or they wouldn't have done so when the money could have been use elsewhere. That benefit is then eroded or lost when their competitors follow suit.

Gorebridge Hibb
15-07-2023, 11:16 AM
I agree and I’m all for it

Exactly. And all of us who travelled over had a great trip catching up with fellow Hibbys.

Keith_M
15-07-2023, 11:30 AM
I agree with the comments that said we need plenty of game time, against different opposition, and that it's also good for the players to get a 'bonding session' where they get to know each other.

I remain to be convinced that the only place we could possibly have done that is in the south of Spain during a heatwave.

DH1875
15-07-2023, 12:19 PM
I agree with the comments that said we need plenty of game time, against different opposition, and that it's also good for the players to get a 'bonding session' where they get to know each other.

I remain to be convinced that the only place we could possibly have done that is in the south of Spain during a heatwave.

I'm more surprised that people don't realise its more often than not over 30c in the south of Spain during the day in July and that's without a heatwave.

lyonhibs
15-07-2023, 01:58 PM
I think the team bonding and building ‘the group’ is as important as any actual training, which let’s be honest could happen at East Mains.

The heat will have been an unexpected factor and worth bearing in mind for the future. Scotland might benefit if more European clubs choose to come here for pre season work.

How can the fact it's bloody hot in southern Spain in July have been "unexpected"?😅

Agree with the principle though, as much about team building and squad togetherness as about the actual training.

7Hero
15-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Rather spend the money on a strikers wages. Can do bonding, training and friendlies in our own back yard.

Bridge hibs
15-07-2023, 02:29 PM
Rather spend the money on a strikers wages. Can do bonding, training and friendlies in our own back yard.

We did play a friendly in our own back yard and we we have another in our own back yard soon, more likely players will also be training again in our own back yard again as we continue our build up to the season starting

brog
15-07-2023, 02:41 PM
still Spain in July. It was never not going to be 30+

The average daily HIGH temperature in Malaga for July is 30. The median temperature is 24. This year is exceptional. I can personally testify having just returned from Algarve.

Paul1642
15-07-2023, 03:21 PM

Out of interest how much would a training camp like this cost Hibs? I really have no idea.

Pagan Hibernia
15-07-2023, 03:29 PM
The average daily HIGH temperature in Malaga for July is 30. The median temperature is 24. This year is exceptional. I can personally testify having just returned from Algarve.

fair enough. It does get a bit cooler in coastal areas.

I got back from Madrid a week ago, where I regularly go this time of year to visit a relative and it’s never less than 30

The Baldmans Comb
15-07-2023, 03:41 PM
Out of interest how much would a training camp like this cost Hibs? I really have no idea.

40/50 people staying on the site 5 star hotel all inclusive for 8 days plus hire of the facilities and the cost of the flights then at a guess £150,000.

Take them paintballing next year instead of
just adding to the £2m already owed to the very clever Gordons.

brog
15-07-2023, 03:44 PM
fair enough. It does get a bit cooler in coastal areas.

I got back from Madrid a week ago, where I regularly go this time of year to visit a relative and it’s never less than 30

I agree, Madrid can be crazy in summer.

Jones28
15-07-2023, 03:56 PM
Is it also maybe the case it’s easier to arrange friendlies when clubs converge in an area?

Paul1642
15-07-2023, 04:05 PM
40/50 people staying on the site 5 star hotel all inclusive for 8 days plus hire of the facilities and the cost of the flights then at a guess £150,000.

Whilst it is a lot of money the two top teams in our league are doing foreign training camps as are the majority of English premiership teams. There must be something behind it, even if part of the benefit is just having a happier better bonded squad at the start of the season.

Aberdeen off to London, will that be any cheaper? Doubt it. Hearts went to fife for whatever reason.

Not sure what your last paragraph is all about 🤷🏻*♂️

Pretty Boy
15-07-2023, 04:12 PM
Whilst it is a lot of money the two top teams in our league are doing foreign training camps as are the majority of English premiership teams. There must be something behind it, even if part of the benefit is just having a happier better bonded squad at the start of the season.

I think a lot of the top end EPL clubs will make rather than spend money on their tours. Playing in various 'cups' for appearance fees and the associated merchandise sales. The same is probably just about true for Celtic and Rangers.

I'm pretty sure it was Roy Keane who said he hated it in his latter years at Man Utd as it never prepared you for the season ahead but he just about accepted it had to be done from a commercial point of view.

That's arguably pretty different though as trips to Australia, Japan or South Korea take a far bigger toll physically than a couple of hours to Spain.

It's still obviously a worthwhile exercise for Hibs or we wouldn't do it but it is a cost for us in a way it won't be for others.

Bridge hibs
15-07-2023, 04:27 PM

Aberdeen off to London, will that be any cheaper? Doubt it. Hearts went to fife for whatever reason.

Im sure hearts were in Spain at some point too

Edit, they were

The Jambos travel to the south of Spain on June 30th to begin seven-days of intense warm-weather training to build up fitness levels ahead of the start of the cinch Premiership season, and UEFA Europa Conference League qualifying campaign, in August.

As well as daily double training and gym sessions, the boys in maroon will take on English Championship side Plymouth Argyle in a friendly match on July 6th, before flying home the following day

Zazu62
15-07-2023, 04:37 PM
Think we came back with more injured players than before we left

McD
15-07-2023, 05:25 PM

40-50? Not sure about that many, I doubt it went higher than 35

also, to relate to a previous point, 150k works out at less than 3k a week for a year, I doubt we’ll be getting a Nisbet replacement for that

Since452
15-07-2023, 05:48 PM

Maybe we could get them running up Gullane sand dunes?

Donegal Hibby
15-07-2023, 08:55 PM
Most clubs go away now and quite a few seem to go to Marbella which might indicate that there's good facilities there. Think it will only be beneficial to the club tbh .
LJ on Hibernian's Marbella training camp .
https://youtu.be/ptnnX9-cTkY

IberianHibernian
15-07-2023, 09:45 PM
For me it was great cause I got to see us play Bournemouth ( after a 4 - hour bus trip ) and would have seen Europa game too but for a problem at work . Got to say present temperatures are hotter than normal though it didn`t seem anything unusual v Bournemouth ( presume it was much hotter v Europa ) .
But from club point of view , this trip can`t have been cheap - flights , accommodation plus all the stuff provided by football centre ( though I`m guessing it`s at a cheaper rate than say in winter as early July is too early for Spanish clubs - Las Palmas , Español and Cadiz are all training there in late July for example ) . Medical experts will be able to say if it`s beneficial to train in high temperatures . The top 2 or 3 Spanish clubs make money from training and playing matches in USA pre season but next level ( financially ) seem to play a lot of pre season matches in cooler places like England ( presumably they aren`t offered enough to play in Scotland ) .In our case , we spent a week in southern Spain in early July in 2013 , playing friendlies in Gibraltar and in Portugal v Notts Forest in another year with a very short pre season since SC final was last Saturday of May . Unprepared , we then had the Malmo debacle and relegation ( not blaming that on pre season in Spain ) . Last year , we trained in Portugal for a week , playing a couple of friendlies against weak English teams before being eliminated in group stages of LC . This year may have been different in that more clubs use Marbella Football Center facilities but does that really mean much if clubs all have different dates , train at different times and in different locations ?
I can see disadvantages of spending whole pre season at our training centre but wonder if we make any money by renting premises to other clubs for pre season training . Maybe we do but I don`t remember reading about it . I remember Barcelona and others training at St Andrews University where Dundee United train I believe and know that some English clubs use Oriam pre season . Presumably our marketing dept have looked into how to make most of our training facilities in summer ( pre season for clubs from northern England for example or for summer students in Edinburgh area etc ) . Likewise in winter if indoor pitch is built .

7Hero
16-07-2023, 07:44 AM

i estimate a £200k + for the team, coaches and hanger's on ...

Bridge hibs
16-07-2023, 08:34 AM
i estimate a £200k + for the team, coaches and hanger's on ...
Hangers on ffs, hibs have obviously budgeted for the trip so no issues really, although you obviously do

Not In The Know
16-07-2023, 08:46 AM

Get in the sea!!!!

Phil MaGlass
16-07-2023, 09:25 AM
LJ..seems to think it was wothwhile,
With the continental heatwave gripping Marbella, the Englishman is of the belief it has only put his players in a stronger position fitness wise as they bring down the curtains on their eight-day camp.

Johnson added: “It has been an intense week for us, which the heat has magnified. When we come back to the normal climate we will gain that extra yard, that extra breath, and our fitness levels will have improved greatly.

“We’ve had a good balance between rest, play, and hard work - but the squad bonding is key on trips like this - and this has been an excellent week for us out here.”

Frazerbob
16-07-2023, 09:33 AM
LJ out!
Sack the board!
Petrie :panic:

Gorebridge Hibb
16-07-2023, 10:02 AM

They flew Ryanair so was hardly luxury travel. We were on the same flight coming home Friday morning. It would be great accommodation but don’t think they would scooping up on an all inclusive deal. They were working not on their holidays. 😂

Nicho87
16-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Can you save this thread for when we lose the first five league games

Even for me, a tad jumping the gun.

Pretty Boy
16-07-2023, 10:21 AM
Can you save this thread for when we lose the first five league games

Even for me, a tad jumping the gun.

Tbh I don't think there is a huge amount of moaning or criticism of the club.

A bit of discussion about the pros and cons of training abroad and the associated costs. General agreement it's worth it and a couple of posts on either side that seem determined to provoke an argument or are reacting to something that isn't really being said. The latter group are best, and easily, ignored. If you don't ignore them they just drag the whole place down.

Nicho87
16-07-2023, 10:28 AM
Tbh I don't think there is a huge amount of moaning or criticism of the club.

A bit of discussion about the pros and cons of training abroad and the associated costs. General agreement it's worth it and a couple of posts on either side that seem determined to provoke an argument or are reacting to something that isn't really being said. The latter group are best, and easily, ignored. If you don't ignore them they just drag the whole place down.

Tbh I was just being sarcastic

First time I’ve renewed since covid season, looking forward to the rollercoaster

NAE NOOKIE
16-07-2023, 12:50 PM

Did the Gordon's lend the club the money to take the players to Spain then? Are you saying the Gordons have run the club so well that they are clearly very clever? Or are you trying to say the Gordons are in the process of fleecing the club and will end up selling the stadium and East Mains to get their money back with a tidy wee profit and that is their 'cleverness'?

Just askin' like.

basehibby
16-07-2023, 02:08 PM
LJ..seems to think it was wothwhile,
With the continental heatwave gripping Marbella, the Englishman is of the belief it has only put his players in a stronger position fitness wise as they bring down the curtains on their eight-day camp.

Johnson added: “It has been an intense week for us, which the heat has magnified. When we come back to the normal climate we will gain that extra yard, that extra breath, and our fitness levels will have improved greatly.

“We’ve had a good balance between rest, play, and hard work - but the squad bonding is key on trips like this - and this has been an excellent week for us out here.”

The obvious benefits of warm weather pre-season trips nicely outlined there. Hard to fathom the gum bumping on here about what is a well established pre-season prep routine in high level football. Some folk would start a fight in an empty room!

Lendo
16-07-2023, 02:11 PM
We done the same at the start of last season. Surely if someone cared enough (I don’t) they could work it out from our accounts?

offshorehibby
16-07-2023, 07:15 PM
I started this thread because i honestly didn't know if training in such severe temperatures was good for the players as i am no expert. The consensus seems to be it is beneficial.

I know that the whole team getting away together is good for team bonding and i have no qualms about the cost if it proves to be beneficial going into the season.

greenlex
16-07-2023, 08:15 PM
Why do Spanish clubs come here for pre season jollies?

Callum_62
16-07-2023, 08:21 PM
Why do Spanish clubs come here for pre season jollies?Wet weather training

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Bridge hibs
16-07-2023, 08:33 PM
Why do Spanish clubs come here for pre season jollies?So they can waste circa £200,000 on all inclusive hotels, have jollies with their hanger onners and of course, sample murder hill at Gullane sand dunes

Viva_Palmeiras
16-07-2023, 09:27 PM
So pretty much the whole of Europe is experiencing a heat wave.
And we are shortly due to embark on a European campaign.
ideal prep then in that sense?
How do you hope to change a mindset remaining in your home comforts? Going through a change of experience / environment can / should be used to help mould the team through a shared experience, some of the best teams I worked with were down to the fact we were all working away from home.

Baldy Foghorn
17-07-2023, 12:41 PM
LJ out!
Sack the board!
Petrie :panic:

:greengrin:greengrin