PDA

View Full Version : FIFA approve new offside rule

Green Reaper
07-07-2023, 06:26 PM
Whole of attackers body must be in front of defender to be offside.

Eyrie
07-07-2023, 06:30 PM
VAR will still take ten minutes to make a complete VARs of the decision.

Hibs4185
07-07-2023, 06:31 PM
But I think it’s only for Italy and Sweden this season?

overdrive
07-07-2023, 06:31 PM
Think it’s only a trial in Sweden, The Netherlands and Italy.

Just Alf
07-07-2023, 06:33 PM
An improvement on having a pinky sticking oot the wrong direction = offside

As far as Hibs players were concerned anyways

Glory Lurker
07-07-2023, 06:34 PM
I'm sure I could look this up and find out, but what counts as body? Are we going from a toe making you offside to a toe keeping you onside?

What was wrong with mud laden pitches, orange balls and fags at half time?

DIXIHIBS
07-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Defo better but there will be the same borderline decisions about whether the whole body is offside or not.

Bostonhibby
07-07-2023, 06:44 PM
Penalty to the Rangers

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
07-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Defo better but there will be the same borderline decisions about whether the whole body is offside or not.

Yeah there will be but we couldn’t complain about no advantage to the attacker anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
07-07-2023, 06:56 PM
Is this something or a reversion the the 'daylight' guidelines that were in place a few season ago?

Green Reaper
07-07-2023, 07:00 PM
Think it’s only a trial in Sweden, The Netherlands and Italy.

Looks like it but should be applied all over if trials successfull this year

gbhibby
07-07-2023, 07:02 PM
Somebody in FIFA must have read my posts over the past ten years. Offside rule should always favour the attacking team, there will still be close calls but will be less farcical due to body positions.

Green Reaper
07-07-2023, 07:04 PM
Hopefully they will also look to change the stupid handball rules in place just now too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-07-2023, 07:08 PM
I would rather see VAR start to clamp down on persistent fouling.

gbhibby
07-07-2023, 07:08 PM
Hopefully they will also look to change the stupid handball rules in place just now too.
And allow HIA and blood temporary subs.

Hibs4185
07-07-2023, 07:20 PM
For the huns It’ll become a gap of 2m from the defender to the attacker

mixumatosis
07-07-2023, 07:22 PM
I'm sure I could look this up and find out, but what counts as body? Are we going from a toe making you offside to a toe keeping you onside?

Or oranges at half time, muddy baws and fag laden pitches for that matter.

Ivan_Sproule
07-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Think this is a great rule change.
Will mean the offside rule takes on it's original meaning of not gaining an advantage by lingering behind the defenders.
Players will still make the effort to stay in line and nobody can really complain if your'e caught offside as every effort has been made to give the attacker the advantage.

Will put an end to ridiculous situations like this Melkersen one that were never meant to be how the rule was interpretedhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhYAmVDXEAEdKF2?format=jpg&name=large

Onceinawhile
07-07-2023, 07:28 PM

Well, you can't score with your pinky, so a pinky wouldn't cause an offside.

Donegal Hibby
07-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Definitely one rule that seriously needs changing , some of the decision's given last year were crazy.

Lancs Harp
07-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Does it solve anything? Wont we now have countless delays deciding whether the whole of someones body is onside/ offside?

Stairway 2 7
07-07-2023, 07:58 PM
Does it solve anything? Wont we now have countless delays deciding whether the whole of someones body is onside/ offside?

Will do but at least it will be for what offside was meant for and will favour more goals and strikers taking a chance.

Donegal Hibby
07-07-2023, 08:12 PM
It will probably make it a lot easier on the linesman and whoever's watching VAR rather than looking at a monitor for 5 or 6 minutes over a hairline decision tbh

BoomtownHibees
07-07-2023, 08:43 PM
It will probably make it a lot easier on the linesman and whoever's watching VAR rather than looking at a monitor for 5 or 6 minutes over a hairline decision tbh

We will still get hairline decisions though

nonshinyfinish
07-07-2023, 08:53 PM

Yeah, for me the major problem with the current version is the pretence that VAR gives total precision. A sensible rule would acknowledge a margin of error – which particular frame was chosen for when the ball was played etc. I'd have no problem with anything within that margin of error being given in favour of the attacking team.

overdrive
07-07-2023, 09:03 PM

Any bit of the body that you can legally play the ball

Donegal Hibby
07-07-2023, 09:04 PM
Probably not has many as we have been getting though like the picture of the melkersen one that's on the thread already which would now be clearly onside.

Ivan_Sproule
07-07-2023, 09:06 PM
I think folk are missing that this will dramatically reduce the number of tedious, time consuming VAR checks. Players are still going to try to stay pretty level with the defender.
Just now we have to find out if they got it right 1inch either way, after the rule change the margin for error will be what? A foot? more?
Yes there will still be occasions that they have to check a tight one but they will be much rarer and less ridiculous looking.

nonshinyfinish
07-07-2023, 09:22 PM
I think folk are missing that this will dramatically reduce the number of tedious, time consuming VAR checks. Players are still going to try to stay pretty level with the defender.
Just now we have to find out if they got it right 1inch either way, after the rule change the margin for error will be what? A foot? more?
Yes there will still be occasions that they have to check a tight one but they will be much rarer and less ridiculous looking.

Will they? Why?

ancient hibee
07-07-2023, 09:31 PM

Not really. Only have to decide if whole body is offside-not onside.

Presumably if a player slides in a tad early and the leg is offside but not the rest of him he’ll be onside?

Tyler Durden
07-07-2023, 09:44 PM
Fake news

This is not happening in senior football anywhere this season. Trials are not in top leagues

overdrive
07-07-2023, 10:17 PM
Fake news

This is not happening in senior football anywhere this season. Trials are not in top leagues

I did wonder how they would manage it. It would have been unfair for Swedish/Dutch/Italian teams in Europe having to manage two different offside rules in different competitions

Kato
07-07-2023, 10:20 PM
Whole of attackers body must be in front of defender to be offside.

Sounds like the Souness idea he mentioned a couple of seasons ago. Am for this.

Hibbyradge
07-07-2023, 10:42 PM

A pinky in the right direction = onside.

Greenbeard
08-07-2023, 06:32 AM
Cue forwards' training sessions being undertaken with one arm extended as far as possible behind the body pointing back towards your own half, like a backwards Nazi salute.
Nail extensions?

Juice-Terry
08-07-2023, 06:39 AM
Diving should be reviewed by a panel and an automatic three game suspension imposed if found guilty. HATE IT.

Stairway 2 7
08-07-2023, 06:39 AM
Cue forwards' training sessions being undertaken with one arm extended as far as possible behind the body pointing back towards your own half, like a backwards Nazi salute.
Nail extensions?

Arm wouldn't count as can't score with it

Carheenlea
08-07-2023, 08:19 AM
It’s basically an admission that the game has been ruined by VAR.

The fine-margin forensic examinations will still be required to look for anything that is onside rather than off while fans sit in boredom in the stadium with no idea what’s going on.

They’ll admit defeat after next season and VAR will be consigned to history IMO.
Was worth a try but it’s not worked. Move on.

gbhibby
08-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Why did it take them so long to realise that the whole thing was a dugs breakfast and especially with VAR it was ruining the game.When you saw these VAR checks the forward was penalised because his body weight was forward. Just change the rule without testing it anywhere.

Hibee Mac
08-07-2023, 08:53 AM
Yeah, for me the major problem with the current version is the pretence that VAR gives total precision. A sensible rule would acknowledge a margin of error – which particular frame was chosen for when the ball was played etc. I'd have no problem with anything within that margin of error being given in favour of the attacking team.Think you're bang on, I've been saying this for ages too. The problem is that we draw lines as if the system is perfect, when in reality there should be a thickness given to the line to account for the margin for error. If the thickness of the lines are overlapping and there is no gap then the decision should go in the attacking team's favour.

The proposed rule change in this thread doesn't fix the problem, we'll still be agonising over the minute differences in lines between the attacker and the defender, even when it's a hair's width between them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2023, 12:59 PM
Now we just need fouls in the penalty box to be dealt with the same as anywhere else on the pitch, particularly when defending corners or free kicks.

Tyler Durden
08-07-2023, 01:21 PM
Once again - nothing is changing! This has been in trials since 2020

It’s not going to happen. Like most of Arsene Wengers rubbish ideas

Keith_M
08-07-2023, 01:46 PM

:agree:

gbhibby
08-07-2023, 01:54 PM
Once again - nothing is changing! This has been in trials since 2020

It’s not going to happen. Like most of Arsene Wengers rubbish ideas
Don't think this is a rubbish idea. What other rubbish ideas are you talking about

Tyler Durden
08-07-2023, 02:30 PM
Don't think this is a rubbish idea. What other rubbish ideas are you talking about

He wanted a World Cup every 2 years. And only one other international window per year in the football calendar.

Glory Lurker
08-07-2023, 03:26 PM
Arm wouldn't count as can't score with it

Tell that to Peter Shilton

Hibbyradge
08-07-2023, 03:31 PM
It’s basically an admission that the game has been ruined by VAR.

The fine-margin forensic examinations will still be required to look for anything that is onside rather than off while fans sit in boredom in the stadium with no idea what’s going on.

They’ll admit defeat after next season and VAR will be consigned to history IMO.
Was worth a try but it’s not worked. Move on.

No it's not.

It's evolving and they're learning and making things better.

VAR is here to stay and football will be better and fairer as a result.

gbhibby
08-07-2023, 03:40 PM
He wanted a World Cup every 2 years. And only one other international window per year in the football calendar.
World Cup every two years no problem as long as they ditch the Euros or Nations League.

Bishop Hibee
08-07-2023, 03:41 PM
Great change to the offside rule. Anything favouring the attacker without taking the piss is progress.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2023, 03:42 PM
Great change to the offside rule. Anything favouring the attacker without taking the piss is progress.
:agree::top marks

West lower
09-07-2023, 09:27 AM
So an attacker can take up a position roughly a yard in front of a defender and stretch his arm back in line with defender making them onside. This will be fun at attacking free kicks. Should be plenty goals.

Pagan Hibernia
09-07-2023, 10:46 AM
World Cup every two years no problem as long as they ditch the Euros or Nations League.

Nah, 4 yearly cycles are perfect for world cups. Preserves the specialness of it (even if FIFA are continuously diluting that too - adding another 16 pish teams to the existing 32 is not a good idea in my opinion).

Agree with you on the pointless nations league though

SJNB Hibby
09-07-2023, 12:48 PM
Tell that to Peter Shilton
:greengrin:top marks

Ivan_Sproule
09-07-2023, 01:56 PM
So an attacker can take up a position roughly a yard in front of a defender and stretch his arm back in line with defender making them onside. This will be fun at attacking free kicks. Should be plenty goals.

Arms wont count as you cant play the ball with them. As it is now.

Green Reaper
09-07-2023, 02:09 PM
Hopefully it means more goals stand, advantage to attacker rather than defenders, how it works with var we will just have to wait and see, when the new rules are eventually introduced here.

Tyler Durden
09-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Hopefully it means more goals stand, advantage to attacker rather than defenders, how it works with var we will just have to wait and see, when the new rules are eventually introduced here.

It’s a proposed change that has been trialled for years. FIFA have not approved any introduction of this change.

I’m not sure if folk are actually at the wind up posting on this. It’s unlikely to ever be introduced

Green Reaper
09-07-2023, 03:12 PM
It’s a proposed change that has been trialled for years. FIFA have not approved any introduction of this change.

I’m not sure if folk are actually at the wind up posting on this. It’s unlikely to ever be introduced

No idea if it actually will or not, I just picked up the info from a post by Everton on fb