PDA

View Full Version : Walk up prices 23/24

Hibbyradge
07-07-2023, 11:49 AM
Have the prices been announced yet? I've had a look but I can't find any information.

GreenGray
07-07-2023, 11:54 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230707/fc13b1421d26d900e3ed6a7175ff368b.jpg
Grim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
07-07-2023, 12:01 PM
Grim

I know it won't just be a Hibs issue. But the prices for Scottish football are ridiculous.

Hibbyradge
07-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Thanks.

I'm never going to get to a Cat A game because they're all at times I can't make from York so I'm happy enough with £28 max.

Allant1981
07-07-2023, 01:18 PM
I know it won't just be a Hibs issue. But the prices for Scottish football are ridiculous.

If they reduced prices then we wouldn't be able to afford better players, granted the cat A prices are steep but personally don't think it's that bad

PHeffernan
07-07-2023, 01:38 PM

Football is a money pitt and Scottish football clubs are heavily reliant on supporters through the gate.
Lots of us bought expensive season tickets during the pandemic for little return because we knew the club were reliant on it.
So your right Scottish football is expensive but we love it and I for one wouldn't want it to be a duffers league like Ireland have.
Guys like Levitt and Youan don't come cheap and all us that give the club our hard earned, helped that happen.

Stairway 2 7
07-07-2023, 01:40 PM
Didn't someone put up here that prices now are much cheaper than they were in the 80s 90s, if they had matched inflation

Keepthefaith
07-07-2023, 01:42 PM
I actually think the discounted prices in particular are pretty reasonable and good to have options to choose cheaper seats. Think how much students pay for a coffee and that ticket price looks not too bad at all!

Hibbyradge
07-07-2023, 02:04 PM
York city, non-league will adults £22 to watch a game.

In comparison, Hibs prices are very reasonable.

NAE NOOKIE
07-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Grim

Its like anything else. If you are ok financially you can say they aren't too bad in comparison to a lot of other leagues and even other forms of entertainment ... like some folk paying up to £400 to see Bruce Springsteen the other week ... I thought they were insane to be honest, a deh care if he's a legend, it's taking the piss IMO.

If you are not so well off £32 and £24 is still a fair wedge 'o cash to find a couple of times a month ... and especially at Christmas when the geniuses who run our game decide to flood the month with fixtures.

Me, I retired 9 years ago, but ended up taking up a part time job 10 hours a week to finance my expensive fitba habit :rolleyes:

Stubbsy90+2
07-07-2023, 02:26 PM
Most of the gold seats will be taken so anyone doing PATG will be silver or bronze most likely.

HH81
07-07-2023, 02:29 PM
York city, non-league will adults £22 to watch a game.

In comparison, Hibs prices are very reasonable.

Halifax Town in same league are around the same.

Crazy prices in that league.

Standard absolutely awful too.

Bridge hibs
07-07-2023, 02:35 PM

Standard absolutely awful too.Theres a cracking series of fly on the wall documentaries on youtube about Dorking Wanderers as they play through a season in the National league, they started of as a pub/mates team and cane through the leagues up to the National. They are managed and owned by businessman Marc White, he is a bit of a clueless dickhead but I kinda found him funny the more I watched

Grass roots standard football at its best 🤣

PHeffernan
07-07-2023, 02:46 PM

Standard absolutely awful too.

They will be the same as our league i.e. massively reliant on gate money

Hibbyradge
07-07-2023, 02:47 PM
Most of the gold seats will be taken so anyone doing PATG will be silver or bronze most likely.

I had a look at season ticket availability. There's loads of gold seats left. :agree:

hibbydog
07-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Outrageous. Twenty’s plenty.

Billy Whizz
07-07-2023, 03:09 PM
Its like anything else. If you are ok financially you can say they aren't too bad in comparison to a lot of other leagues and even other forms of entertainment ... like some folk paying up to £400 to see Bruce Springsteen the other week ... I thought they were insane to be honest, a deh care if he's a legend, it's taking the piss IMO.

If you are not so well off £32 and £24 is still a fair wedge 'o cash to find a couple of times a month ... and especially at Christmas when the geniuses who run our game decide to flood the month with fixtures.

Me, I retired 9 years ago, but ended up taking up a part time job 10 hours a week to finance my expensive fitba habit :rolleyes:

Good on you. It’s an expensive business going home and away. At least £50 a month for away games, plus League and Scottish cup ties too, not forgetting your home season ticket and travel costs
I reckon it costs me £1300 or so watch Hibs, worth every penny
For a family it’s almost impossible to do all this

Hillsidehibby
07-07-2023, 03:10 PM
Didn't someone put up here that prices now are much cheaper than they were in the 80s 90s, if they had matched inflation
My old man used to say back in his day a pint, a haircut and going to the football were all the same price.
At least beer hasn’t kept pace!
I’m talking a long time ago!

oneone73
07-07-2023, 03:12 PM
My old man used to say back in his day a pint, a haircut and going to the football were all the same price.
At least beer hasn’t kept pace!

I can remember when football was the same price as 20 cigarettes.

Bridge hibs
07-07-2023, 03:17 PM

I remember doing my paper rounds all week after school and getting paid my £2 wages on the Saturday, paid to get in (50p) and still had enough for a couple of pints after the game

Biffa Bacon
07-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Including Aberdeen in category A is pretty poor. They were B last season.

Musselbound
07-07-2023, 03:23 PM

Totally agree with you. £400 for a gig is something I struggle to comprehend but there seem to still be plenty of people can afford it. I used to be a regular at ER but only attend a few games per season now, usually when there is some kind of discounted offer on.

Stubbsy90+2
07-07-2023, 03:23 PM
I had a look at season ticket availability. There's loads of gold seats left. :agree:

Surprised at that, I expected the gold to make up the majority of the season tickets bought.

Torto7
07-07-2023, 03:36 PM

Yes although peoples wage packets have been kept down post 08 so football clubs need to be realistic on what they're charging. Looking at the mismanagement of the economy this problem is only going to increase. I don't mind paying a wee bit extra to subsidise the younger crowd tbf.

1875Sean
07-07-2023, 03:38 PM

Yeah I agree, always been the ugly sister from the west and hearts

Billy Whizz
07-07-2023, 03:43 PM

Do Aberdeen treat Hibs as an A or B fixture? I paid £30 for the Hibs end just before the split

King Cosell
07-07-2023, 03:48 PM

When it comes to finances, there's 3 clubs miles behind the Old Firm and miles ahead of the rest of the league. Realistically, we could only freeze or reduce pricing if Hearts & Aberdeen coalesce.

Brightside
07-07-2023, 03:56 PM
Outrageous. Twenty’s plenty.

Thats all good and well if playing in the Championship is plenty too.

Just Alf
07-07-2023, 04:41 PM
Thats all good and well if playing in the Championship is plenty too.:agree:

Bishop Hibee
07-07-2023, 04:52 PM

Absolutely not. My first season ticket in 1986/87 was £50. That would be around £140 for 23/24 if it had tracked inflation.

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2023, 04:56 PM
Thats all good and well if playing in the Championship is plenty too.

You think we'd get relegated if we set a lower ticket price?

We were selling less tickets and signing far better players in the championship before. That tells me it's about whos in charge, rather than the price of tickets for Hibs.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2023, 05:05 PM

Football prices went crazy in the very late 90s and early 00s. That was when Hearts boycotted us because of the £28 tickets and we were up in arms because Romanov charged us £33. In comparison to that then the current pricing doesn't seem all that bad considering 20-25 years has passed. The rate of increase has slowed but then so has growth in wages and general availability of disposal income compared to the relative prosperity of the New Labour years pre global financial meltdown. Compared to the 50-early 90s the prices still massively outstrip inflation though.

It's a catch 22 for the club. They know fans will turn up at these prices and people will sacrifice other things to keep their football habit intact so this pricing is what they stick with. They know loads more will turn up when it's a fiver with St Johnstone but don't have the same guarantee if they make it a flat £20. I'm loathe to criticise too much because I understand the position the club are in. Equally I'm not going to lecture anyone complaining about the pricing either. £44 as the cheapest point for a parent to take 2 under 13s to a game v Ross County is a lot of cash, £11 more to go and watch Aberdeen is even moreso. That's before you factor in transport.

There is no right or wrong here imo. Difficult for the club, difficult for the people who are arguing the pricing is too high. It's easy to say the pricing is fine when you can afford it or are able to prioritise Hibs over everything else, such positions are privileged ones.

Just Alf
07-07-2023, 05:08 PM

We were selling less tickets and signing far better players in the championship before. That tells me it's about whos in charge, rather than the price of tickets for Hibs.To be fair Hibs were telling us the reason they weren't reducing prices was precisely so they could get players to play at a level above the championship

Alfred E Newman
07-07-2023, 05:36 PM

20 fags, pint of beer and entry to the terracing were more or less the same price for years.

King Cosell
07-07-2023, 06:12 PM
20 fags, pint of beer and entry to the terracing were more or less the same price for years.

Adjusted for inflation, the price of football hasn't changed much in 25 years, there was a massive price hike from the 80s-mid 90s

Brightside
07-07-2023, 06:12 PM

We were selling less tickets and signing far better players in the championship before. That tells me it's about whos in charge, rather than the price of tickets for Hibs.

This is so daft it hardly warrants a reply. How much do you think we are now paying in wages and which money tree do we get it from.

500miles
07-07-2023, 06:32 PM
Adjusted for inflation, the price of football hasn't changed much in 25 years, there was a massive price hike from the 80s-mid 90s

Aye, I saw a ticket from a hibs rangers game in 2000, and we're like 10% below the general rate of inflation since then. Given the hikes in energy prices and staff, its probably a fair reflection of increased costs.

lyonhibs
07-07-2023, 06:43 PM
Grim

Well that's absolutely stinking but it is what it is. Having paid 33 quid to watch Brian Bloody Kerr put the Jambos to bed after 90 seconds about 15 years ago, almost everything else is cheap at the price

cabbageandribs1875
07-07-2023, 06:54 PM
i think Cat B game prices are very reasonable

i only have two mates that still get a ST and even they miss quite a few Cat A games, i've still not been to a Cat A game since covid struck :whistle:

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2023, 07:00 PM
This is so daft it hardly warrants a reply. How much do you think we are now paying in wages and which money tree do we get it from.

Probably our massively increased sponsorship?

Hibs are far too expensive for the standard we provide IMO. 20 would be plenty, and would make following the club much more viable for many people.

Hibiza
07-07-2023, 07:00 PM

Problem thou King ,is that wages have been stagnant for ages.

Stairway 2 7
07-07-2023, 07:57 PM
Problem thou King ,is that wages have been stagnant for ages.

Wages have grown constantly, problem has been inflation. So its good tickets haven't changed much in 20 years, when everything else has. These things like gas electricity ect effect the club so they are taking the hit

lyonhibs
07-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Wages have grown constantly, problem has been inflation. So its good tickets haven't changed much in 20 years, when everything else has. These things like gas electricity ect effect the club so they are taking the hit

That seems to indicate that price rises only took over wages and 6 months ago?

Can't be right surely?

Stairway 2 7
07-07-2023, 08:13 PM
That seems to indicate that price rises only took over wages and 6 months ago?

Can't be right surely?

That's up to 22, unfortunately been a horror show since. Wages up 6 point something this year inflation above 10%

NAE NOOKIE
07-07-2023, 11:35 PM
Totally agree with you. £400 for a gig is something I struggle to comprehend but there seem to still be plenty of people can afford it. I used to be a regular at ER but only attend a few games per season now, usually when there is some kind of discounted offer on.

There's always a debate about how many games folk attend mate. I consider myself extremely fortunate that I can afford a season ticket and a couple of pints pre match, but that's not the case for everybody and I assure you wasn't always the case for me .... It's always been my opinion that if all you can afford is a few games a season and you go to those games you are every bit as good a supporter as folk like me.

The discounted games are a great idea and I hope Hibs continue with them .. the 20,000 crowd for St Johnstone last season was brilliant, even if the result wasn't. I wont pretend that I think Hibs should be charging, for example, £20 for every game, but I do think that £25 for Cat B matches and £30 for Cat A games in the 'gold' sections is more than enough for this league ... £28 and £36 to me is verging on the point of asking too much of our support.

I do think the demographic that supports Hibs is to a degree not as well off as the Hearts support, so we have to be extremely careful not to get to a stage where we are pricing fans out of attending. IMO with the prices on that chart we are as I said getting too bloody close to that.

ErinGoBraghHFC
07-07-2023, 11:39 PM
There's always a debate about how many games folk attend mate. I consider myself extremely fortunate that I can afford a season ticket and a couple of pints pre match, but that's not the case for everybody and I assure you wasn't always the case for me .... It's always been my opinion that if all you can afford is a few games a season and you go to those games you are every bit as good a supporter as folk like me.

The discounted games are a great idea and I hope Hibs continue with them .. the 20,000 crowd for St Johnstone last season was brilliant, even if the result wasn't. I wont pretend that I think Hibs should be charging, for example, £20 for every game, but I do think that £25 for Cat B matches and £30 for Cat A games in the 'gold' sections is more than enough for this league ... possibly even too much.

I do think the demographic that supports Hibs is to a degree not as well off as the Hearts support, so we have to be extremely careful not to get to a stage where we are pricing fans out of attending. IMO with the prices on that chart we are getting too bloody close to that.

That last point is going to be loudly argued against by many but I think you’re pretty spot on, hibs is by and large the “working class” team of Edinburgh whereas hearts are, as we know, travel blanket loving gimps who go to Glencoe in their converted minivans twice a year with their border collie. In other words, knobs.

Leith Green
07-07-2023, 11:42 PM

The discounted games are a great idea and I hope Hibs continue with them .. the 20,000 crowd for St Johnstone last season was brilliant, even if the result wasn't. I wont pretend that I think Hibs should be charging, for example, £20 for every game, but I do think that £25 for Cat B matches and £30 for Cat A games in the 'gold' sections is more than enough for this league ... possibly even too much.

I do think the demographic that supports Hibs is to a degree not as well off as the Hearts support, so we have to be extremely careful not to get to a stage where we are pricing fans out of attending. IMO with the prices on that chart we are getting too bloody close to that.

Would like to see us do a 3 or 4 game offer for cat b games with say a fiver or tenner off the overall cost .. might see fans attend more regularly who tend to pick and choose games more sporadically

NAE NOOKIE
07-07-2023, 11:46 PM
That last point is going to be loudly argued against by many but I think you’re pretty spot on, hibs is by and large the “working class” team of Edinburgh whereas hearts are, as we know, travel blanket loving gimps who go to Glencoe in their converted minivans twice a year with their border collie. In other words, knobs.

Oi, calm yourself mate, I had a border Collie and he was the most lovely and good natured wee guy you could ever hope to meet, I loved that dug ... RIP Bill :boo hoo:

ErinGoBraghHFC
07-07-2023, 11:51 PM
Oi, calm yourself mate, I had a border Collie and he was the most lovely and good natured wee guy you could ever hope to meet, I loved that dug ... RIP Bill :boo hoo:

To be fair, not a dug person but I do like border collies. If my mrs never let me have cats I’d have had one of them.

ian cruise
08-07-2023, 05:01 AM

Hibs are far too expensive for the standard we provide IMO. 20 would be plenty, and would make following the club much more viable for many people.

Motherwell tried cheaper season tickets a while back, it had a negligible affect on uptake but the financial impact is something I'm not sure they have recovered from to this date. Clubs like ourselves, Aberdeen, Hearts took a wee steps head of them and we've stayed there.

Stairway 2 7
08-07-2023, 06:45 AM
Looking at attendances the last 5-10 years something is working, I can't get over how big they are.

Even when the tornadoes were playing there were regular games under 7k. That stayed bar a few seasons until quite recently and I'm unsure why. Average attendance of 17k last season is about 50% more than any season from 72 until winning the Cup, what a win for us that was

The Modfather
08-07-2023, 07:06 AM

I don’t think Hibs issue is how much money we have available to spend. Along with Hearts & Aberdeen we have consistently for years shown we get so little value for money in what we spend. Until that changes I’d not be looking for the fans to dig ever deeper each season.

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to go to the football, however I look at prices and think they are terrible value for what is on offer and as such never really came back from the Covid break.

hibee-boys
08-07-2023, 07:46 AM
The club have, and probably will continue, to reduce prices for PATG fans for certain games. As a season ticket holder I’ve no problem with that. They’re not going to be advertising this whilst trying to shift more season tickets. Other than the first couple of rows behind the goals there’s not a bad seat in ER, bronze prices are fair enough in my opinion. For those prepared to pay a bit more they can choose the more expensive seats.

Brightside
08-07-2023, 08:00 AM
I don’t think Hibs issue is how much money we have available to spend. Along with Hearts & Aberdeen we have consistently for years shown we get so little value for money in what we spend. Until that changes I’d not be looking for the fans to dig ever deeper each season.

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to go to the football, however I look at prices and think they are terrible value for what is on offer and as such never really came back from the Covid break.

We are paying a lot of players much higher salaries than we ever have. That’s just the simple fact and the reason why we have to raise ticket sales accordingly. The 20 plenty stuff is a dream unless someone is going to come in a chuck a few million at the club every season.

Wakeyhibee
08-07-2023, 07:32 PM

Unfortunately dropping the prices 30% will not increase attendances by the same or more given the capacity and tried elsewhere doesnt work outside of one offs. Guaranteed own goal financially.

IberianHibernian
08-07-2023, 08:50 PM
Looking at attendances the last 5-10 years something is working, I can't get over how big they are.

Even when the tornadoes were playing there were regular games under 7k. That stayed bar a few seasons until quite recently and I'm unsure why. Average attendance of 17k last season is about 50% more than any season from 72 until winning the Cup, what a win for us that wasAs has been said on other threads crowds at ER and Tynecastle in last decade or so are amazing considering poor football on offer most years . Edinburgh is a prosperous , growing city so we`re getting massive crowds compared with those we got in previous times when we had better teams . Clubs like St Johnstone and Motherwell seem to get smaller crowds than a decade ago even if they make Europe . Aberdeen and Dundee United had their great years at the time of the North Sea oil boom . Fact we`ve invested so much in increasing hospitality offer is significant too - there are obviously a lot of people and companies in Edinburgh area who can afford to pay for hospitality and want to do so .
But if I was in charge at Hibs I`d certainly be looking at ways to get more fans able to go to matches without having to pay current walk up prices . I know it can be difficult with SFA restrictions and not wanting to upset season ticket holders and having numbered seats ( In Spain it`s quite common to offer season ticketholders an extra free or cheap ticket at some matches but folk will obviously prefer to sit with mates / relatives ) . Having so many empty seats in South Stand at category B matches gives us a great chance to offer cheap walk ups there .
And what about a Kicks ForKids for adults ?

Ringothedog
11-07-2023, 01:18 PM

Even when the tornadoes were playing there were regular games under 7k. That stayed bar a few seasons until quite recently and I'm unsure why. Average attendance of 17k last season is about 50% more than any season from 72 until winning the Cup, what a win for us that was

Facilities back then had a huge impact on the crowd. Pissing down rain and standing on the main terracing with no cover put loads of people off going to a game

PHeffernan
11-07-2023, 04:20 PM

An adult season ticket at Hibs could be purchased for £375.
That is just less than £20 a game.

Think I got burned for £430 which is a little under £23 a game if I manage to make every game and more if I don't.
I would have liked every seat to have been sold for the same price as we used to do to keep us all a part of the same but that died with the new regime.
£399 would have made it £21 a game for all adults but that barrier is past and we are heading for a £500 season ticket!

In conclusion, an adult could indeed go to every game next season for less than £20 a match
Walk ups get the luxury of picking and choosing their matches and pay the price.

Paul1642
11-07-2023, 06:42 PM
I don’t have a problem with the adult prices. It’s in line with any other day out pretty much.

£10-£12 is poor for under 13s though. We should be encouraging young laddies and girls to get into Hibs and selling under 13 tickets for a pound or two for cat B games wouldn’t loose us much money in the short term I imagine. If a hundred kids or so extra were to come along they would likely be buying a pie or drink and maybe result in an extra shirt sale or two, as well as the cost of their parents ticket.

Then in the long term some kids who enjoy going to the game every weekend will grow into teenagers / adults who pays full price to do the same.

Bristolhibby
11-07-2023, 07:00 PM
I actually think the discounted prices in particular are pretty reasonable and good to have options to choose cheaper seats. Think how much students pay for a coffee and that ticket price looks not too bad at all!

Thank Christ I didn’t drink coffee when I was a student. Doubt I’d be able to afford one.

J

NAE NOOKIE
12-07-2023, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately like practically every club in Scotland we rely on ticket sales for a huge proportion of our overall income, that makes it extremely difficult to discount tickets, especially if we wan't to do stuff like pay out £600,000 for two players. Though as I've said, the gold prices have reached the extreme end of what folk should be asked to pay IMO.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with it if Hibs pick say 4 games a year and do the adults a tenner kids a fiver thing. As a season ticket holder I would rather sit in a crowd of 18 to 20 thousand for games against the likes of St Johnstone or Kilmarnock on a Friday night than 13,000 or so on a Saturday. Last year St Johnstone probably brought more than twice their usual away support for that game and I'm sure the likes of Killie could do the same.

It also gives fans who genuinely can't afford the normal walk up prices a chance to get to Easter Road and in the long run that could well help us build our crowds as these fans circumstances change, or the kids who normally can't get along get the bug and become regular fans when they start working.

Ringothedog
12-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately like practically every club in Scotland we rely on ticket sales for a huge proportion of our overall income, that makes it extremely difficult to discount tickets, especially if we wan't to do stuff like pay out £600,000 for two players. Though as I've said, the gold prices have reached the extreme end of what folk should be asked to pay IMO.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with it if Hibs pick say 4 games a year and do the adults a tenner kids a fiver thing. As a season ticket holder I would rather sit in a crowd of 18 to 20 thousand for games against the likes of St Johnstone or Kilmarnock on a Friday night than 13,000 or so on a Saturday. Last year St Johnstone probably brought more than twice their usual away support for that game and I'm sure the likes of Killie could do the same.

It also gives fans who genuinely can't afford the normal walk up prices a chance to get to Easter Road and in the long run that could well help us build our crowds as these fans circumstances change, or the kids who normally can't get along get the bug and become regular fans when they start working.

I would certainly agree with the idea of reducing prices for a few games, but sell them as a package. eg buy a Hibs v Dundee and a Hibs v Celtic or Rangers for £45 adults and £20 child

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2023, 04:49 PM
Absolutely not. My first season ticket in 1986/87 was £50. That would be around £140 for 23/24 if it had tracked inflation.

Yes, football prices have massively increased beyond inflation in the past few decades. Stadiums are much better; it's a much improved experience, but prices are far higher for that.