PDA

View Full Version : From this squad, who needs to go?

lyonhibs
06-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Hibs just posted the training squad for the Spain trip on Instagram. Discounting the youngsters and new signings, who is "dead weight" and has used up their 9 lives as far as impressing you goes?

For me it's only really Henderson and, were the money right, Campbell.More depth at CB and a number 9 and we're looking in reasonable shape I think, wouldn't say no to a box to box or defensive central midfielder either

HendoDelivered
06-07-2023, 04:02 PM
Hibs just posted the training squad for the Spain trip on Instagram. Discounting the youngsters and new signings, who I'd "dead weight" and has used up their 9 lives as far as impressing you goes?

For me it's only really Henderson and, were the money right, Campbell.More depth at CB and a number 9 and we're looking in reasonable shape I think, wouldn't say no to a box to box or defensive central midfielder either

Kenneh, Doidge, Hendo could all do with moving on IMO.

Just don’t see it with Kenneh, I know he is young but he looks miles off it anytime I’ve seen him. Doidge, love the guy but not good enough for where we need to be and can’t see him hitting that “purple patch” again. Hendo, clearly a player in there but doesn’t show it anywhere near enough, looks out of his depth majority of the time and just not what we need if we are wanting to challenge 3rd or 4th spot consistently.

Tyler Durden
06-07-2023, 04:08 PM

Just don’t see it with Kenneh, I know he is young but he looks miles off it anytime I’ve seen him. Doidge, love the guy but not good enough for where we need to be and can’t see him hitting that “purple patch” again. Hendo, clearly a player in there but doesn’t show it anywhere near enough, looks out of his depth majority of the time and just not what we need if we are wanting to challenge 3rd or 4th spot consistently.

I would agree with all that and add Delferriere. Would be great if he could push on and replace Jeggo. But surely if he was good enough, he’d have more game time by now?

McGruber
06-07-2023, 04:23 PM

Would agree with those 3, Henderson, Kenneh and (with a heavy heart) Doidge. Like poster above, wonder what the point is with Delferriere, and also Hague and Tait (I know those 2 not on the plane). Tavares is obviously getting emptied (think he could have been given more of a chance) and McKirdy never sparked anything last year (though he and the club just need to concentrate on his recovery and football is on the backburner for now).
My perhaps controversial one would be our captain Marshall.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-07-2023, 02:48 PM
If I was Jair, I’d rightly be miffed at the mis-match between what LJ has said about him, the way he was marketed (he didn’t want the 10 and by LJs accounts was never ready as he wanted him to learn from and blend in time with Mr Tumble who ended up on the physio bench more than playing.

So LJ sung the praises of a long term tracking target in Tavares and it didn’t appear to work out. That’s one blot on LJ record.

Hibee Daft
09-07-2023, 03:14 PM
I would say Ewan Henderson and Tavares, they are both quite young tho so could turn it around. Main issue with both is how lightweight they seem which can be fixed.

They also need to start just doing the basics well instead of trying ti be a flair player.

jakeshibs
09-07-2023, 03:51 PM
Jake Doyle-Hayes and Henderson for me as they are just not good enough at this level and we need better to push on. Still looking at Jeggo as split opinions on his ability and performance.

Malonga's Cat
09-07-2023, 04:08 PM
I'd say Henderson and Tavares - both good with a ball at their feet but lacking in the grit/strength dept needed for the Premiership.
Grudgingly, I'd add Doidge to the list... maybe JDH too but he might be handy as a squad player.

Watch this... I've just named our best players for the season! Football is funny like that.

J-C
09-07-2023, 04:43 PM
Henderson and Jair are not good enough, I'd add JDH too, the occasional half decent game is not enough for where we want to be and Doidge also, maybe more mobile after his op but we want to move on another level, so his time is up.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2023, 05:46 PM
Henderson, Doidge and Tavares are the obvious 3.

I'd also say Melkerson. Big hype when he signed, great debut but not a lot since. I'd love to see him kick on but the bizarre loan when he played literally no football won't have helped him much. I'm sure we could get in a really good striker with the wage of Doidge and Melkerson combined and still have ALF, Youan and Boyle as potential cover as and when required.

B.H.F.C
09-07-2023, 06:10 PM
We do still have players to move on, Henderson and Tavares the most of obvious, but we are at least a bit further forward than I thought we’d be. We’ve done well to get a few out that had contracts early.

Doidge is the other one but if we can’t at least you feel he might be able to make some kind of contribution.

Kenneh and, depending on incomings, JDH as well.

Melkersen on his last chance for me.

Diclonius
09-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Should leave: Henderson
Not bothered either way: Marshall, Kenneh, Doidge, MacKay

The rest I'd like to stay.

Alex Trager
09-07-2023, 06:21 PM
To leave: Hendo. Jair. Kenneh. Rocky. Doidge.

NAE NOOKIE
09-07-2023, 06:24 PM
Henderson, Doidge and Tavares are the obvious 3.

I'd also say Melkerson. Big hype when he signed, great debut but not a lot since. I'd love to see him kick on but the bizarre loan when he played literally no football won't have helped him much. I'm sure we could get in a really good striker with the wage of Doidge and Melkerson combined and still have ALF, Youan and Boyle as potential cover as and when required.

The thing about Melkersen is that he never seems to get a chance through the middle ... the one time he made a dent was in that Motherwell game where he was central. He came on against Europa and lo and behold ended up on the left. I can't see any harm in giving him at least a half against Bournemouth in a central position. We will no doubt have to be far more cagey about throwing players forward in that game, so IMO it would be an ideal time to find out if he can get onto balls over the top or through the defence ... especially when allegedly in Levitt we have a player who can play exactly that type of pass.

As for who to shift on. Hendo definitely and Tavares too. JDH might come good if he can perform to his potential more than once every 4 games he plays.

That aside we can't go shifting too many players ... we have already spent close to a million quid this window, we can't afford to replace every player who hasn't impressed up till now, even if we would like to.

JohnM1875
09-07-2023, 06:26 PM
The thing about Melkersen is that he never seems to get a chance through the middle ... the one time he made a dent was in that Motherwell game where he was central. He came on against Europa and lo and behold ended up on the left. I can't see any harm in giving him at least a half against Bournemouth in a central position. We will no doubt have to be far more cagey about throwing players forward in that game, so IMO it would be an ideal time to find out if he can get onto balls over the top or through the defence ... especially when allegedly in Levitt we have a player who can play exactly that type of pass.

Agree about Melkersen through the middle. He's a striker, don't think there's really any doubt about that. Doesn't have the pace or the game to play out wide.

Thought we should have played him through the middle from the start instead of ALF (I know he scored) yesterday and was kinda disappointed we never. We'll never really know how good Melkersen is unless he has a run of games in his actual position.

Stubbsy90+2
09-07-2023, 06:29 PM
Henderson
Jair
Kenneh
McKirdy (although I’m aware that won’t happen now)
Delferriere
Hauge

Since452
09-07-2023, 06:31 PM
Henderson
Jair
Kenneh
Delferriere
Hauge

Agree with that.

HibbyAndy
09-07-2023, 06:41 PM
Henderson
Jair
Kenneh
Delferriere
Hauge

Jair 100 % needs to go but he's going nowhere if its true he's on a reported 4K a week and a 4 year contract , Whoever sanctioned that deal needs their baws kicked

Pretty Boy
09-07-2023, 06:45 PM
Jair 100 % needs to go but he's going nowhere if its true he's on a reported 4K a week and a 4 year contract , Whoever sanctioned that deal needs their baws kicked

I don't understand how we scouted Benfica B and somehow ended up with Jair and not Duk. If someone watched them and said 'aye it's the former we want' then they must have their eyes painted on.

Admittedly we may have been interested in the latter and just been outbid or beaten to the punch. I actually still think there is a player in Jair but he's never going to cut it in Scotland. This is a league in which you need to be able to play quickly and with physicality. He can do neither even if he is technically sound.

Since452
09-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Remember LJ saying at the time he'd been tracking Tavares for a few years. Tried to sign him for Bristol.

JohnM1875
09-07-2023, 07:02 PM
Remember LJ saying at the time he'd been tracking Tavares for a few years.

Surely just bollocks manager chat though? Surely?!

Jones28
09-07-2023, 07:07 PM
I’ve got absolutely no issues with none of the remaining squad moving on.

A couple of decent additions and I think we’re in a good place.

Nicho87
09-07-2023, 09:17 PM
Hague
Henderson
Doidge
Tavares
Kenneh
Melkerson (Scottish club on loan)
McKirdy will leave when back fighting fit, it’s not worked out.

w pilton hibby
09-07-2023, 10:10 PM
Hibs transfer state of play as Lee Johnson tells duo they can leave while Lewis Fiorini off the table

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-state-play-lee-30424997

EdinMike
10-07-2023, 04:32 AM
Hibs transfer state of play as Lee Johnson tells duo they can leave while Lewis Fiorini off the table

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-state-play-lee-30424997

If Jair is on as much as Hibs.net speculate (4K a week) why would he move…

Brooster
10-07-2023, 06:29 AM
Tavares, Hague, Henderson, Rocky, Kenneh and Doidge are the 6 I'd be looking to move to free up space and money for new players. Everyone else is capable of contributing. Delferriere and Mackay are definitely SPL players now.

number9dream
10-07-2023, 07:33 AM
I'd be inclined to keep Kenneh and Delferriere ahead of the perma-raging JDH, who has one decent game in 10.
Keep MacKay as wing cover - with Jair and Hauge maybe back to their homelands on loan, unless we take a bath and pay them off. It must be pretty miserable for them both right now...
Henderson might get a move to Wigan or Exeter with one of our previous management team.
Doidge probably goes if we get a new striker in, with ALF and Melkersen providing back-up.

Brightside
10-07-2023, 08:27 AM
I'd be inclined to keep Kenneh and Delferriere ahead of the perma-raging JDH, who has one decent game in 10.
Keep MacKay as wing cover - with Jair and Hauge maybe back to their homelands on loan, unless we take a bath and pay them off. It must be pretty miserable for them both right now...
Henderson might get a move to Wigan or Exeter with one of our previous management team.
Doidge probably goes if we get a new striker in, with ALF and Melkersen providing back-up.

That 1 decent game in 10 is just nonsense. Im all for different opinions but thats clearly a tainted one. JDH is an excellent squad player for us and when LJ isn't injuring him, is well worth his place.

Kenneh can provide cover at CB - but I'd be inclined to get him a full season of game time elsewhere. The rest I've no issue with moving on.

Hibees1973
10-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Henderson
Jair
Kenneh
Delferriere
Hauge

I would add Doidge & JDH to this as well.

None of these guys are going to help us into the group stages of the Europa Conference League.

If we were able to move these guys, apart from McKirdy given his situation, that is 7 places in the 1st team squad to fill. Bringing in 7 quality players would properly transform our squad and give us an even money chance of 3rd in the league and a place in the group stages of ECL.

However, the big problem we have is some of these guys were awarded 3-4 years contracts not so long ago and will be almost impossible to move on. It's unlikely any other club will want to buy them. The only chance we have is to loan them out, but still have to pay up to 75% of their wages. A poor deal for us financially and unable to properly replace them.

We are still burdened by previous transfer mistakes. It's probably getting to the point now that recruitment may stagnate because we cannot move some of these players on and therefore the club is restricted financially. It is telling that we got a bid for JDH in the last winter transfer window, but he opted to stay, given the secure and long contract he is on. Hibs were more than happy to let him go but he chose not to giving Johnson not other option than to say 'I'm happy if he stays'.

This is why my gut feeling says we are still not in a position to get 3rd and reach the group stages of the ECL.

We may be better placed after another couple of transfer windows to be confident of achieving what we want.

Hibernian Verse
10-07-2023, 08:54 AM
I would add Doidge & JDH to this as well.

None of these guys are going to help us into the group stages of the Europa Conference League.

If we were able to move these guys, apart from McKirdy given his situation, that is 7 places in the 1st team squad to fill. Bringing in 7 quality players would properly transform our squad and give us an even money chance of 3rd in the league and a place in the group stages of ECL.

However, the big problem we have is some of these guys were awarded 3-4 years contracts not so long ago and will be almost impossible to move on. It's unlikely any other club will want to buy them. The only chance we have is to loan them out, but still have to pay up to 75% of their wages. A poor deal for us financially and unable to properly replace them.

We are still burdened by previous transfer mistakes. It's probably getting to the point now that recruitment may stagnate because we cannot move some of these players on and therefore the club is restricted financially. It is telling that we got a bid for JDH in the last winter transfer window, but he opted to stay, given the secure and long contract he is on. Hibs were more than happy to let him go but he chose not to giving Johnson not other option than to say 'I'm happy if he stays'.

This is why my gut feeling says we are still not in a position to get 3rd and reach the group stages of the ECL.

We may be better placed after another couple of transfer windows to be confident of achieving what we want.

The comments in bold aren't totally true. Hibs don't have to demand a fee for them, and can sell for £0.00 to get them off the wage bill. However, someone may want them and pay a small fee like Kio leaving Hearts last week.

A long term contract essentially protects the club (and player) from losing them for free if they do well. If they don't, and the player sees he isn't going to play it's not always impossible to move them on.

Hibees1973
10-07-2023, 09:04 AM
The comments in bold aren't totally true. Hibs don't have to demand a fee for them, and can sell for £0.00 to get them off the wage bill. However, someone may want them and pay a small fee like Kio leaving Hearts last week.

A long term contract essentially protects the club (and player) from losing them for free if they do well. If they don't, and the player sees he isn't going to play it's not always impossible to move them on.

That is hoping someone wants them and the player is happy to move. Kenneh, for example may be an option for Ross County but what kind of wage will they be able to offer him compared to the contract he is on as Hibs. We would likely have to give him a large pay off to move.

I remember Potter signed loads of duds for the Yam. Martin & Damour being two. They both turned out to be sh*te were on big contracts, nobody wanted them, then saw out the length of their deals. Nightmare.

My fear is that a few on the list we want to move on are likely to do the same.

Stuart93
10-07-2023, 09:18 AM
Hauge, Jair, Henderson and Doidge

Brooster
10-07-2023, 09:49 AM
JDH would be one if the last players I'd be moving. He's a good player.

Brightside
10-07-2023, 10:24 AM

Yep - I've never understood the opposite opinion on him. He's brave, technically good, does a huge amount of work, and helps us keep the ball. He would be way down my list to move on.

jakeshibs
10-07-2023, 10:29 AM

Opinions vary, and don't think he is good enough to help us compete in Europe or push for third in the league we need better

AlbertK86
10-07-2023, 10:48 AM
That 1 decent game in 10 is just nonsense. Im all for different opinions but thats clearly a tainted one. JDH is an excellent squad player for us and when LJ isn't injuring him, is well worth his place.

Kenneh can provide cover at CB - but I'd be inclined to get him a full season of game time elsewhere. The rest I've no issue with moving on.

Spot on re JDH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertK86
10-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Must go

Hague
Jair
Henderson
Doidge - once we get another robust CF in

Happy to let go

Campbell - any decent offer.

Rocky - happy if back up but if we could get Fish plus an upgrade on Rocky I’d let him go.

I think Delfierre, Kenneh and Melkerson definitely have potential to flourish with regular game time on loan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
10-07-2023, 12:34 PM

I totally agree, he’s had some very good games for us.

It’s hard to argue that we’ve had the blend right in midfield, a case can be made for keeping any of them when we know we’re going to need to lose a few and bring a few in. I’m not saying he should be immune to being part of that discussion but he’s certainly not a player I’d be moving on.

Tha Cabbage Kid
10-07-2023, 12:38 PM
for me we need rid of

Henderson, Doidge, Melkerson, Jair, Tait and Hauge

Since452
10-07-2023, 01:11 PM

Agree. I really rate him. Think this'll be a big season for him if he stays injury free.

A Hi-Bee
10-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Still a few to be moved on as is the nature of the game, happy to leave it to Hibs management to do this.
:greengrin

6-2MAGIC
10-07-2023, 02:00 PM

Agree with this list although I would probably add Tavares to it too. I think Hibs need to be a bit brutal in terms of getting rid of some players as some of the players we have signed recently just haven't been near 1st team level at all.
So for me it would be Kenneh, Henderson, Tavares & Doidge.

Lewiehas2
10-07-2023, 02:08 PM
Tavares, Hague, Henderson, Rocky, Kenneh and Doidge are the 6 I'd be looking to move to free up space and money for new players. Everyone else is capable of contributing. Delferriere and Mackay are definitely SPL players now.

100%. Have to be given a chance. Mackay is a great squad option when we already have Youan and Boyle as starters - quick, direct, his header in cup final against Celtic was class. Delferriere looks a rolls royce of a player, and worth giving a run in the team alongside good midfielders (Newell & Levitt)

Never going to know unless we give them the chance, but no point in bringing squad/cover players in that we don't know when we can try promote from within

Dashing Bob S
10-07-2023, 04:19 PM

As for who to shift on. Hendo definitely and Tavares too. JDH might come good if he can perform to his potential more than once every 4 games he plays.

That aside we can't go shifting too many players ... we have already spent close to a million quid this window, we can't afford to replace every player who hasn't impressed up till now, even if we would like to.

Melkersen has been chronically mismanaged. I think he'd thrive as an out and out striker.