PDA

View Full Version : Adam Le Fondre - Signs

California-Hibs
16-06-2023, 04:18 PM
Now that that's confirmed I'd like to welcome Adam to the club. Many people not happy because he's now 36 years old but me personally, I welcome the experience and certainly the goal scoring record he's had throughout his whole career, even up until last year in the A-League.

I think this guy will be a very very good signing for this up and coming season and is going to prove alot of doubters wrong!

tamig
16-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Now that that's confirmed I'd like to welcome Adam to the club. Many people not happy because he's now 36 years old but me personally, I welcome the experience and certainly the goal scoring record he's had throughout his whole career, even up until last year in the A-League.

I think this guy will be a very very good signing for this up and coming season and is going to prove alot of doubters wrong!
Age doesn’t matter. McGeady was looking great before his season was prematurely ended.

If he’s more Grant Holt than Shefki Kuqi he’ll do for me.

J-C
16-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Glad we've finally signed him, no more is he or isn't he signing every summer window.😁

Seriously he's still been scoring regularly down in Australia and if he's still fit will score goals.

Tambo
16-06-2023, 04:30 PM
Will surely bring alot of experience to the place, welcome to Hibs finally.

Since452
16-06-2023, 04:30 PM
Very clever signing.

Bridge hibs
16-06-2023, 04:35 PM
Glad we've finally signed him, no more is he or isn't he signing every summer window.😁

Seriously he's still been scoring regularly down in Australia and if he's still fit will score goals.

Agree, squad game too with europe, league and scottish cups and league to play for, good experience too

sauzeelegod
16-06-2023, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the Hibees Alf 🇳🇬

JimBHibees
16-06-2023, 04:40 PM
Welcome Alf :thumbsup:

Unseen work
16-06-2023, 04:49 PM
Ooooooooooooooh Adam Le Fondre

KWJ
16-06-2023, 04:56 PM
Certainly more question marks over him with his age but hopefully he can answer them and do us a turn.

Donegal Hibby
16-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Guy knows where the Net is and you'd think playing with Youan and Boyle on either side there will be plenty of chances created for him . Hoping for plenty of sausage rolls from Alf :greengrin .

Unseen work
16-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Looking good for 36 and in good Nick.

Cat Stanton
16-06-2023, 05:04 PM
Looking good for 36 and in good Nick.

It would be bad if he looked terrible for 36.

hibbydog
16-06-2023, 05:07 PM
It would be bad if he looked terrible for 36.

I look good for 36. Unfortunately I’m only 24 😜

worcesterhibby
16-06-2023, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the club. A guy with a knack for scoring regularly with lots of experience, I hope his time at Hibs is hugely succesful.

Lancs Harp
16-06-2023, 05:09 PM
Guy knows where the Net is and you'd think playing with Youan and Boyle on either side there will be plenty of chances created for him . Hoping for plenty of sausage rolls from Alf :greengrin .

Be surprised if he was a regular starter but he strengthens the squad. Has regularly found the back of the net throughout his career.

MKHIBEE
16-06-2023, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the greatest football club in the world Adam, looking forward to you Playing in the green and white

Libby Hibby
16-06-2023, 05:10 PM
Welcome Adam

Willis1875
16-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Jamie Cureton next….

Donegal Hibby
16-06-2023, 05:23 PM
Be surprised if he was a regular starter but he strengthens the squad. Has regularly found the back of the net throughout his career.
I think we will take in another striker though would have no problem in playing him at times tbh .
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/le-fondre-hungry-for-success-at-hibs

hibby67
16-06-2023, 05:23 PM
He said on the you tube clip he scores sausage rolls and is not far off 300 goals and he would like to reach that target..
Looking at his stats he is 27 short so if he reaches that target we will have a great season

Squealing pig
16-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Welcome Alf

Lancs Harp
16-06-2023, 05:30 PM
I think we will take in another striker though would have no problem in playing him at times tbh .
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/le-fondre-hungry-for-success-at-hibs

I think we will sign another striker. Thats where im at I think ALF. If he is the only striker we sign then id be disappointed, if we sign another decent striker as well as ALF then im happy.

Donegal Hibby
16-06-2023, 05:40 PM
I think we will sign another striker. Thats where im at I think ALF. If he is the only striker we sign then id be disappointed, if we sign another decent striker as well as ALF then im happy.
Asking a 36 year old to play a full season with European games would be a big ask imo . I would be fairly confident we will take in another striker maybe Mykola ( just a guess ) which I think would give us a decent forward line tbh .

joe t
16-06-2023, 05:48 PM
Alfie’s most successful spell included a ‘super sub’ season with reading in the premier league. He’ll not be our main striker but will defo get goals off the bench. Thumbs up from me.

ToulouseHibs
16-06-2023, 05:53 PM
Alfie’s most successful spell included a ‘super sub’ season with reading in the premier league. He’ll not be our main striker but will defo get goals off the bench. Thumbs up from me.

Aaaahhh a proper old school striker. And, a proper old striker 😂. Look forward to seeing what he can do. He seems to have a passionate bunch of supporters behind him, and, even better, a few haters from opposing teams. Great building block for next season.

Clarence
16-06-2023, 05:53 PM
Jamie Cureton next….

Get it sorted Petrie!

Diclonius
16-06-2023, 05:56 PM
I still can't believe we've actually signed him after all the in jokes.

The Baldmans Comb
16-06-2023, 06:13 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has-been can adapt from Indian/Kangaroo football to the SPL.

File under yet another pension top up plan alongside McGeady, Johansen, Kufti and Valdas Trakas.

I guess he might get a game in the last 16 of the League cup if the arrogant Johnson decides its a worthwhile competition this year.😥

Northernhibee
16-06-2023, 06:16 PM
Jamie Cureton next….
Gary Twigg too

Allant1981
16-06-2023, 06:16 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has been can adapt from Indian football to the SPL.

File under yet another pension top up plan alongside McGeady, Johansen, Kufti and Valdas Trakas.

I guess he might get a game in the last 16 of the League cup if the arrogant Johnson decides its a worthwhile competition this year.😥

Just a tad OTT

Billy Whizz
16-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has been can adapt from Indian football to the SPL.

File under yet another pension top up plan alogside McGeady, Johansen, Kufti and Valdas Trakas.

I guess he night get a gane in the last 16 of the League cup if the arrogant Johnson decides its a worthwhile competition this year.😥

I think Alf is more a Brian McDermott signing. He’s an experienced player who seems to have been playing regularly. Looks like he’s a different sort of player to what we have

MelbourneHibees
16-06-2023, 06:17 PM

What does Indian football have to do with it? He hasn't played there for years.

Northernhibee
16-06-2023, 06:18 PM
4th best minutes to goals ratio in EPL history.

brianmc
16-06-2023, 06:18 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has-been can adapt from Indian football to the SPL.

You win the internet today. Well done. 🚀

Donegal Hibby
16-06-2023, 06:22 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has-been can adapt from Indian football to the SPL.

That's the spirit mate . Right the guy off before he gets a chance .😂

Northernhibee
16-06-2023, 06:26 PM
Very telling that quite a few Reading fans would have taken him back.

Broken Gnome
16-06-2023, 06:31 PM
Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has-been can adapt from Indian/Kangaroo football to the SPL.

Last line gives it away, very good.

Waxy
16-06-2023, 06:33 PM
Yes football is evolving rapidly and 36 is a fine age with modern football fitness.
Lets go.

Lendo
16-06-2023, 06:39 PM
Welcome 26896

HibeeSince85
16-06-2023, 06:42 PM
I think he'll be a good signing. He's had a good career and scores goals. We're still to sign our main striker.

16-06-2023, 06:43 PM

You're at it.

Libby Hibby
16-06-2023, 06:44 PM

Just a slight over reaction.

Been out on the sun too long with that baldy heid of yours?

Ozyhibby
16-06-2023, 06:53 PM
Not going to go overboard but can’t really get excited about a 36 year olds who has been playing several levels below the level we play at for last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
16-06-2023, 06:58 PM
Not going to go overboard but can’t really get excited about a 36 year olds who has been playing several levels below the level we play at for last few years.

Is the Australian league several levels below ours?

I don’t watch any of it but my perception is that it’s been a good market for Scottish clubs recently.

FWIW I’m not sure it needs to be an exciting signing.

Big_Franck
16-06-2023, 06:59 PM

Same. Hopefully it's the first of 3 centre forward signings this summer, provided Doidge leaves. Hopefully we can get rid of McKirdy as well.

Heisenberg
16-06-2023, 07:04 PM

Another great post to add to your collection, well done.

Keepthefaith
16-06-2023, 07:04 PM
Just watched his interview. Really clear that he's here to bring on the younger players too, mentions it a couple of times. He'll be a good character to have in the squad and I think his experience will stand us in good stead...our main 3 strikers last year were all relatively inexperienced and having a mature head might help ground the team a little.

Look at James miller going to Brighton aged 37 and premier league standard, it's a similar ethos I think.

tamig
16-06-2023, 07:05 PM

🥱 the usual dirge you can always be relied upon delivering. I’ll trust our new DOF who knows the player well as to whether or not he’s up to the task. Why come out with such nonsense before the boy’s even kicked a ball? Tortuous stuff.

Tambo
16-06-2023, 07:15 PM
Gives block 7 a few weeks or so to come up with a song for him.

B.H.F.C
16-06-2023, 07:16 PM

I don’t watch any of it but my perception is that it’s been a good market for Scottish clubs recently.

Don’t know about being several levels up, but it’s definitely a step up. Says that himself in his interview.

He’s not going to come in and replace Nisbet for me. But he could be a useful part of the squad.

Not excited. Don’t think it’s a terrible move either though, as long as we’re not looking at him as being our first choice striker.

McD
16-06-2023, 07:37 PM

speaking of arrogance, you’ve got plenty to spare

gbhibby
16-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Welcome 26896https://images.app.goo.gl/JazN7n1Aiz6mS3jj9
Was going to post the same photo, just as well you didn't use the other alf.
Welcome to Hibs Adam

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Jones28
16-06-2023, 07:51 PM

The perennial optimist returns!

Up-the-slope
16-06-2023, 08:02 PM
Good signing and done early - As some have mentioned if we can get a toe hold in Europe and go deep in both cups there is a heck of a lot of football to be played.
Where we have badly lacked is attacking options from the bench (more often this past season changes have made us look worse which is damming to those on bench when you are being judged against tiring players)

I do hope his time at EM in sweltering 28oC last couple of days has not fooled him.... -5oC with 10oC of wind chill howling across in February will not be Australian like :greengrin

nickwhibs
16-06-2023, 08:09 PM
I have cult hero vibes about this signing

Silky
16-06-2023, 08:11 PM

Cheap shot at Johnson. Absolutely no evidence this is his signing. We have a DOF who is charged with signing players, yet you conveniently fail to direct your ire at him! No evidence either to suggest that he will be a poor signing. No names offers up as to who is available in our price range who WILL be a better option. Poor post imo. Very, very poor

CockneyRebel
16-06-2023, 08:16 PM

:greengrin

Lago
16-06-2023, 08:16 PM

Totally agree, well said

CockneyRebel
16-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Cheap shot at Johnson. Absolutely no evidence this is his signing. We have a DOF who is charged with signing players, yet you conveniently fail to direct your ire at him! No evidence either to suggest that he will be a poor signing. No names offers up as to who is available in our price range who WILL be a better option. Poor post imo. Very, very poor

:aok:

Hannah_hfc
16-06-2023, 08:23 PM
Anyone thinking Hibs have signed Le Fondre to replace Nizzy are at it, pure and simple.

It wasn’t long ago we’d have jumped at Hibs signing anyone with 200+ career goals. If he teaches our (relatively young) forwards a thing or two and gets a few goals in a Hibs shirt then that’ll do for me.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-06-2023, 08:26 PM
I'm sure at his age he'll know he's not expected to play every week at our level and been told we're recruiting another striker to replace Nisbet. If he comes in and is banging in the goals early doors, we'll see what happens. He looks in good shape tbf.

I did have a laugh when I heard his name. Reminds me of the old rivals days as I think that's when he was first mentioned as a Hibs target. 😄

B.H.F.C
16-06-2023, 08:27 PM

Agree the post you are quoting is ridiculous which is unsurprising.

But I do think there is reason to be sceptical about this signing. I’m not completely writing it off but, equally, I’m not convinced.

jakeshibs
16-06-2023, 08:30 PM

You make it sound like the SPFL is a good standard, get behind him and support him, our league is not that great either.

aberhibsfc
16-06-2023, 08:48 PM
Welcome, finally, to Hibs Adam.

I hope he sticks a few goals away, but I'm interested to see what affect he has on our blossoming forwards.

Still hoping there's another forward in our plans to come in.

Silky
16-06-2023, 08:56 PM
Agree the post you are quoting is ridiculous which is unsurprising.

But I do think there is reason to be sceptical about this signing. I’m not completely writing it off but, equally, I’m not convinced.

Fair enough. I think there can be an element of scepticism in every signing though. There was a bit with Youan, with Fish, with CJ. Even with Boyle when he came from Dundee. We just need to wait and see.

Hibbyradge
16-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Gives block 7 a few weeks or so to come up with a song for him.

When the ball hits the net

Like a low flying jet

That's Le Fronde

etc

Forza Fred
16-06-2023, 09:09 PM
Posted similar on another thread but here goes

I have watched Alfie regularly over the past 5 years so here’s what I expect what you will see

A nippy, mobile centre forward who scores from both inside the box, with either foot and when the chance presents itself from outside too. And we have a new penalty taker as he usually rifles them in.
He has scored wherever he’s been and I expect his contribution to be in double figures.

He was loved by the Sydney fans and I know many Reading fans wanted him back, but obviously the connection with our New DOF, who was his manager when at Reading, tipped the scales in our favour.

I really don’t have any negatives to offer, so some on here will be disappointed no doubt
And don’t let Wikipedia confuse you, as it did a few others….yes he’s played in India, but that was a few years ago when he got an offer to play for six months or so for ‘life changing’ money, and Sydney let him go on loan.
Wiki lists his time in India last, ….and some thought he arrived from there.

Yes he’s 36, and obviously nearer to the end of his career than the start of it, but we have gambled on inexperienced ‘project’ players recently and been disappointed, and his experience should see a lot of chances converted, which previously would have not been the case.
Personally, I am excited by the thought of a front 3 of Boyle, Le Fondre and Youan.

So, welcome Alfie……hope you enjoy the sausage rolls in Scotland.

04Sauzee
16-06-2023, 09:30 PM

I have watched Alfie regularly over the past 5 years so here’s what I expect what you will see

A nippy, mobile centre forward who scores from both inside the box, with either foot and when the chance presents itself from outside too. And we have a new penalty taker as he usually rifles them in.
He has scored wherever he’s been and I expect his contribution to be in double figures.

He was loved by the Sydney fans and I know many Reading fans wanted him back, but obviously the connection with our New DOF, who was his manager when at Reading, tipped the scales in our favour.

I really don’t have any negatives to offer, so some on here will be disappointed no doubt
And don’t let Wikipedia confuse you, as it did a few others….yes he’s played in India, but that was a few years ago when he got an offer to play for six months or so for ‘life changing’ money, and Sydney let him go on loan.

Yes he’s 36, and obviously nearer to the end of his career than the start of it, but we have gambled on inexperienced ‘project’ players recently and been disappointed, and his experience should see a lot of chances converted, which previously would have not been the case.
Personally, I am excited by the thought of a front 3 of Boyle, Le Fondre and Youan.

Cheers Fred 👍

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Welcome to Hibs ALF

Its hard to predict how he will get on, the big fear over McGeady was injuries and bad luck or not those fears turned out to be well founded. Le Fondre certainly doesn't seem to be injury prone, but he is certainly of an age where injuries are more likely and this league I would imagine is far more physical then the 'A' league.

His goals return in his last few seasons is very good though and if he can replicate that for us he could turn out to be a great signing. Lets hope so, because we do need a tick in that box after the last few windows.

BoltonHibee
16-06-2023, 09:34 PM

Was this the forward you knew had signed or is there another you know about?

He was good at Bolton before heading off down under, If he still has that kind of form ( I’ve not seen much of him in Oz) then he’ll be a good signing for us.

Can’t believe there won’t be a younger forward still to come though

JamesHFC
16-06-2023, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Hibs ALF

Its hard to predict how he will get on, the big fear over McGeady was injuries and bad luck or not those fears turned out to be well founded. Le Fondre certainly doesn't seem to be injury prone, but he is certainly of an age where injuries are more likely and this league I would imagine is far more physical then the 'A' league.

His goals return in his last few seasons is very good though and if he can replicate that for us he could turn out to be a great signing. Lets hope so, because we do need a tick in that box after the last few windows.

One thing which sticks out is that he has been a fan favourite at a lot of clubs he's played for. In regards to his goalscoring record it's probably the best we've had on the books for years. I think with him on the pitch we will be a lot more confident of scoring a goal, something we have probably lacked prior to Nisbet returning from injury.

JamesHFC
16-06-2023, 09:40 PM

He was good at Bolton before heading off down under, If he still has that kind of form ( I’ve not seen much of him in Oz) then he’ll be a good signing for us.

Patrick McPartlin confirmed in an article tonight that we will be bringing in another striker.

Unseen work
16-06-2023, 09:54 PM
https://youtu.be/6UTdcWdRaXA

Some of those finishes are a joke!

The one 02:10 in really reminds me of a Riordan goal

BoltonHibee
16-06-2023, 09:54 PM
Patrick McPartlin confirmed in an article tonight that we will be bringing in another striker.

[emoji106]

Hibbyradge
16-06-2023, 10:00 PM

Exciting.

Northernhibee
16-06-2023, 10:01 PM

That’s a sensational penalty in there too.

Gmack7
16-06-2023, 10:22 PM
As highlight reels go that's pretty decent

Man Down Under
16-06-2023, 10:27 PM
My cousin has been a Reading season ticket holder for about 30 years and says he's a legend, sounds like a good signing.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Swedish hibee
16-06-2023, 10:29 PM
Just a meh & a deep sigh from me.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2023, 10:33 PM
Guy played in the premier League but he'll need to adapt to Scottish football :faf:

jacomo
16-06-2023, 10:49 PM
Guy played in the premier League but he'll need to adapt to Scottish football :faf:

Seen enough EPL veterans with very good cvs struggle in our league. Obvs hoping that won’t be the case here, but it happens. Roy Keane and Joey Barton come to mind.

eastmainsmsh
16-06-2023, 10:51 PM
To the tune on labamba adam le fondre

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-06-2023, 10:51 PM
Seen enough EPL veterans with very good cvs struggle in our league. Obvs hoping that won’t be the case here, but it happens. Roy Keane and Joey Barton come to mind.

Keane was finished, his hip had gone and Joey Barton and “very good cv” don’t belong in the same sentence

Percy Vere
16-06-2023, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the Hibees Glenville

Forza Fred
16-06-2023, 10:52 PM

Aye this was the one.

WhileTheChief..
16-06-2023, 10:55 PM
Just a meh & a deep sigh from me.

Similar here, with a touch of 'wtf?' thrown in.

Never seen him play, and it's not the sort of signing I can get excited about.

Not saying it's a bad move by the club, but I'm not sure how we can say it's a decent one either.

Forza Fred
16-06-2023, 10:59 PM

Not saying it's a bad move by the club, but I'm not sure how we can say it's a decent one either.

Well the obvious answer is to see him play first before deciding if it’s a good or bad signing, is it no?

B.H.F.C
16-06-2023, 11:06 PM
Well the obvious answer is to see him play first before deciding if it’s a good or bad signing, is it no?

I agree that what he does will determine whether he’s a good or bad signing.

But when you’re signing someone at 36 who has been playing at an inferior level (as he’s said himself) then I think it’s fair that some may be a bit sceptical about his signing. I’m 50/50 with it personally, can’t quite make my mind up on it.

WhileTheChief..
16-06-2023, 11:08 PM

Yeah, thanks for that insight, really helpful and not at all condescending :rolleyes:

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-06-2023, 11:10 PM
Yeah, thanks for that insight, really helpful and not at all condescending :rolleyes:

Maybe condescending, not really wrong though

tamig
16-06-2023, 11:20 PM

I’ll trust the DOF on this one and the opinion of someone who’s seen a lot of him over the past five years. But you crack on with your “wtfs” if thats your bag.

neil7908
17-06-2023, 12:41 AM
I agree that what he does will determine whether he’s a good or bad signing.

But when you’re signing someone at 36 who has been playing at an inferior level (as he’s said himself) then I think it’s fair that some may be a bit sceptical about his signing. I’m 50/50 with it personally, can’t quite make my mind up on it.

This is where I'm at as well.

For me though we have bags of time left in the window. There is no suggestion he's signed to be our first choice, and all the noise is we'll made a another, 'big' signing to be our first choice centre forward.

As long as that's the case I'm all good!

Steve-O
17-06-2023, 12:43 AM

He was in every single English league prior to his stint in the “kangaroo” league. The same League plenty others in Scottish Premiership have come from.

LewysGot2
17-06-2023, 05:39 AM
This looks more like a Grant Holt type appointment and, if he has that impact, it'll be fine. Experienced, proven striker whose character and attributes known very well to DoF. Hopefully will help the development of others.

Caversham Green
17-06-2023, 06:10 AM

:agree: One of the problems we had last season was that there was no-one on the bench that looked capable of changing a game. Alfie was very much a game-changing sub for Brian McDermott's Reading and I think that's what he's been signed for at Hibs. Forza Fred's comments suggest he's still perfectly capable of doing that at 36.

Look out for him getting the winners in Derbies next season.

Carheenlea
17-06-2023, 06:33 AM
I’m not getting the feeling he’s been signed to sit on the bench all season.

Be interesting to see who we add to compliment the signing in attack and even at this stage of pre season our squad looks like taking shape with a bit of thought and strategy rather than scattergun.

Gmack7
17-06-2023, 06:39 AM
:agree: One of the problems we had last season was that there was no-one on the bench that looked capable of changing a game. Alfie was very much a game-changing sub for Brian McDermott's Reading and I think that's what he's been signed for at Hibs. Forza Fred's comments suggest he's still perfectly capable of doing that at 36.

Look out for him getting the winners in Derbies next season.

Exactly this, if he had been on the bench in the last game at Tiny we may well have won it, a fit Myko gives us a good front line

Caversham Green
17-06-2023, 06:40 AM
I’m not getting the feeling he’s been signed to sit on the bench all season.

Be interesting to see who we add to compliment the signing in attack and even at this stage of pre season our squad looks like taking shape with a bit of thought and strategy rather than scattergun.

I'm saying he's been signed to come off the bench and score goals - something he did regularly in the EPL a while back.

marinello59
17-06-2023, 06:51 AM
I'm saying he's been signed to come off the bench and score goals - something he did regularly in the EPL a while back.

That what it looks like to me. I don’t think anybody expects him to be playing 90 minutes every week but having options on the bench will be a refreshing change from the season just past.

WhileTheChief..
17-06-2023, 06:55 AM
I’ll trust the DOF on this one and the opinion of someone who’s seen a lot of him over the past five years. But you crack on with your “wtfs” if thats your bag.

Cool, that's how it should be.

I don't know enough about McDermott either, so can't really comment on how good or bad the signings he makes are.

When I first saw Le Fondre's name mentioned, "wtf" is exactly the thought that came to mind. I'm not slating the guy, or LJ, or anyone at the club, and I'm not having a pop at any posters on here fro thinking differently.

So yeah, I'll crack on and give my opinion, just as you and others are doing.

If I had said I'm delighted with the signing, despite having not seen him play, would you even have bothered replying? Nah, course you wouldn't.

WhileTheChief..
17-06-2023, 07:03 AM
Maybe condescending, not really wrong though

So when we're linked with players we might sign, only posters that have seen these players several times should be allowed to comment on here?

Thread's gonna dry up and be pretty quiet if that's that's the case!

There's no need to for any of us to be commenting on each other at all.

Sylar
17-06-2023, 07:10 AM
The only concern with the age is how additionally longer any injuries might take to heal.

If it had been announced the club had signed Jamie Vardy (same age as Le Fondre) I doubt there'd be nothing but excitement. Some players are still have a lot to offer at 36! Even 37 :wink:

adam middlemass
17-06-2023, 07:21 AM
4th best minutes to goals ratio in EPL history.

Well if that’s correct I’m astounded, I knew off him obviously as he’s been around a long time, but that’s some statistic. To score as many goals as he has and most of them in the English leagues is quite something. Certainly gives me hope for the exciting season ahead. :thumbsup:

HibbyDave
17-06-2023, 07:28 AM
Welcome Alf

Bostonhibby
17-06-2023, 08:07 AM
Aaaahhh a proper old school striker. And, a proper old striker [emoji23]. Look forward to seeing what he can do. He seems to have a passionate bunch of supporters behind him, and, even better, a few haters from opposing teams. Great building block for next season.Aye, all we need now is a school striker by the sounds of this[emoji16]

I'm actually happy enough with this if he can stay fit for the season.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Fergos
17-06-2023, 08:07 AM
If hes wearing the Hibs green and giving his all he should have the collective backing of us all.

Hope he does well.

GGTTH

Lago
17-06-2023, 08:19 AM
That's too sensible, let's just hit the old negativity button in stead.

tamig
17-06-2023, 08:30 AM
So when we're linked with players we might sign, only posters that have seen these players several times should be allowed to comment on here?

Thread's gonna dry up and be pretty quiet if that's that's the case!

There's no need to for any of us to be commenting on each other at all.

Your response to the guy who gave a good summary of his recent history was a bit out of turn. Imo. I just don’t understand people who jump in with negative views when its clear they know very little about the player and don’t appear to have read the opinions of folk who have.

Its the nature of online behaviour though I guess.

Donegal Hibby
17-06-2023, 08:49 AM
Most of us hasn't seen him play over the last 5 years so the obvious answer is indeed waiting to see him play for us before deciding if he's going to be good or not .

Alfie is a proven goalscorer who's got a really good record of scoring goals wherever he's been and his experience will be very good in helping our young strikers like melkersen and O'Connor and i think he will turn out to be a good signing for us .

allezsauzee
17-06-2023, 08:51 AM
I think if he was regarded as a straight replacement for Nisbet and a main source of goals then it would be a bit underwhelming but I suspect he's been brought in as an experienced striker to help out some of the young lads. With Youan and Boyle on the wings he probably doesn't need to be haring about the park, just get himself into the right positions to finish off chances. We dropped a lot of points due to a lack of composure in the box so hopefully he can add this.

WhileTheChief..
17-06-2023, 08:59 AM
Your response to the guy who gave a good summary of his recent history was a bit out of turn. Imo. I just don’t understand people who jump in with negative views when its clear they know very little about the player and don’t appear to have read the opinions of folk who have.

Its the nature of online behaviour though I guess.

I don't think I've given a negative view about the player or the club though.

The signing doesn't excite or inspire me, but that's not me criticising anyone, I'm just giving my initial reaction.

I thought what I said was pretty harmless and didn''t really expect any reaction to it at all.

It's hard to know what's acceptable on here these days!.

JimBHibees
17-06-2023, 09:08 AM
I think Alf is more a Brian McDermott signing. He’s an experienced player who seems to have been playing regularly. Looks like he’s a different sort of player to what we have

Penalty box striker scores goals. Good option to have in any league. Worth it for a short term signing especially given he will know McDermott already so likely settle in quick. Quite liking this signing personally the more I think of it.

JimBHibees
17-06-2023, 09:11 AM

Certainly isn't several levels. Old firm better other teams including our own would be competitive however so would the A league teams with us. Many of their players seamlessly come into our league kind of says it all not much difference.

worcesterhibby
17-06-2023, 09:12 AM
Having read the opinions of those who have watched a lot of him recently (cheers Forza) watched a lot of Youtube stuff, looked at his career so far and listened to his first interview...I'm excited. Seems to have a very good fitness record, brilliant goal scoring record, fantastic attitude and bags of experience. He's signed a one year deal so we are not staking any long term money on the guy. This has more of a Mixu feel about it than a Hurtardo moment for me. Looking at his highlights he scores every type of goal, poacher tap ins, long range bangers, plenty of headers, he reminds me a bit of James Keatings in that respect..just with a lot more confidence and experience at a higher level

I still think we will see goals from both McKirdy and Melkersen if they stay (but then I am an eternal optimist), particularly with a mentor like ALF to show them how to bag the Sausage Rolls. It would be great to see young O'Conner getting some game time too..or is he going out on Loan ?

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 09:14 AM
The only concern with the age is how additionally longer any injuries might take to heal.

If it had been announced the club had signed Jamie Vardy (same age as Le Fondre) I doubt there'd be nothing but excitement. Some players are still have a lot to offer at 36! Even 37 :wink:

Ronaldo is 38.

Allant1981
17-06-2023, 09:22 AM
Certainly isn't several levels. Old firm better other teams including our own would be competitive however so would the A league teams with us. Many of their players seamlessly come into our league kind of says it all not much difference.

Not really how it works though, lots of Scottish players have went down south and played well with no issues, doesn't mean our league is as good, similarly we have had lots of foreign players come here and struggle. I'm sure ALF himself said in the interview its a higher standard(or words to that affect)

17-06-2023, 09:57 AM
When the ball hits the net

Like a low flying jet

That's Le Fronde

etc

When you're sat in row Z

And the ball hits your head

That's Le Fondre

😀

J-C
17-06-2023, 10:08 AM
This past season Hibs fans moaning about too many young development players with no experience, sign an experienced forward who knows how to find the net and it's all he's past it etc. Gotta love Hibs supporters.

My old man
17-06-2023, 10:08 AM
When you're sat in row Z

That's Le Fondre

😀
Can we really use this as this was one of Le gods tunes 😜

GG2TH

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 10:10 AM
When you're sat in row Z

That's Le Fondre

😀

:tee hee:

Sylar
17-06-2023, 10:13 AM
Ronaldo is 38.

So there's hope for a late-in-life professional contract yet?

Just a shame I'm pish :greengrin

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 10:13 AM
I've just watched his interview and I thought he came across very well.

He doesn't speak in clichés, he sounds intelligent and mature, and he's confident that he'll get goals.

I'm whelmed. :agree:

JohnM1875
17-06-2023, 10:14 AM

He doesn't speak in clichés, he sounds intelligent and mature, and he's confident that he'll get goals.

Think you mean 'sausage rolls' 😉

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Think you mean 'sausage rolls' 😉

Of course. 👍

Lago
17-06-2023, 10:17 AM

Same just finished watching his interview and he comes across as an intelligent individual who understands what is expected of him, impressed by that, oh and looks as fit as the proverbial butchers dog 😊

Bridge hibs
17-06-2023, 10:30 AM

I'm whelmed. :agree:Natural goal scorer, get that ball to him in the box and chances are he will ping them in, he may not have the energy to run for 90 minutes (maybe he has) but thats what Boyle and Youan will hopefully do for him

A Hi-Bee
17-06-2023, 10:41 AM
Sure that given the chances he will bang in the goals, could be a right good signing for Hibs, we still need some more in and sure they will arrive in due time.
:flag::flag::flag:

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2023, 10:45 AM
This past season Hibs fans moaning about too many young development players with no experience, sign an experienced forward who knows how to find the net and it's all he's past it etc. Gotta love Hibs supporters.

As if there is no middle ground between 18 and 36...

Lester B
17-06-2023, 11:17 AM

He needs to stop saying ‘obviously’ so much though 😂

Musselbound
17-06-2023, 11:27 AM

Yes! Obviously knows where the sausage roll is though.

Hibees1973
17-06-2023, 11:38 AM

Exactly what I thought.

Clear his signing has the stamp of our new DOF (McDermott) all over it. I have slight misgivings over his age but if we even get a year out of him, around 20 - 25 games and a few goals it will be worthwhile. He doesn't have a suspect injury record which is a positive compared to some of our more 'experienced' signings recently.

This type of character is what we need in the squad and more of them. Hope to see more proven, experienced (25 - 30 years old) players who are capable of going straight into the 1st team. The last couple of transfer windows have been littered with aimless punts and the odd character who just causes issues.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2023, 11:41 AM
When you're sat in row Z

That's Le Fondre

😀
The Cilla Black classic, what’s it all about Alfie… I’ll get my coat💸

The Modfather
17-06-2023, 11:43 AM

A while back being 10 years ago. Not sure the one season he played in the premiership has any relevance to him signing this season.

On the face of it an upgrade on the options from the bench. Hopefully McKirdy’s replacement.

Lester B
17-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Yes! Obviously knows where the sausage roll is though.

🤣🤣🤣

Caversham Green
17-06-2023, 12:47 PM
A while back being 10 years ago. Not sure the one season he played in the premiership has any relevance to him signing this season.

On the face of it an upgrade on the options from the bench. Hopefully McKirdy’s replacement.

The post you quoted was really a follow up on my previous comments that Hibs had lacked a game-changing substitute last season and that the man who (presumably) signed Alfie had previously used him in exactly that role. Even if it was 10 years ago that still strikes me as relevant. An underlying point is that his possible loss of stamina due to age becomes less of an issue if he is used that way.

Gordy M
17-06-2023, 01:19 PM
One of the things ive noticed on the social media sites(twitter etc) is that almost everyone is positive about him, very few critical or negative posts, which in this day and age is almost unheard off. Obv he has made a good impression wherever he has been.....or im just seeing yhe happy clappers pages!!!

jacomo
17-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Keane was finished, his hip had gone and Joey Barton and “very good cv” don’t belong in the same sentence

Obviously Keane didn’t think he was finished when he signed for Celtc. And Joey Barton made 269 appearances in the EPL… by any definition of a footballer, that is a very good record.

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 02:17 PM

At least he didn't start every one of his answers with "listen".

Tha Cabbage Kid
17-06-2023, 02:52 PM

I remember thinking Craig Brewster wouldn't be a good signing and he was class!

Lester B
17-06-2023, 04:05 PM
At least he didn't start every one of his answers with "listen".

Or ‘so’. I ‘king hate that. 😂

eastmainsmsh
17-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Exactly what I thought.

Clear his signing has the stamp of our new DOF (McDermott) all over it. I have slight misgivings over his age but if we even get a year out of him, around 20 - 25 games and a few goals it will be worthwhile. He doesn't have a suspect injury record which is a positive compared to some of our more 'experienced' signings recently.

This type of character is what we need in the squad and more of them. Hope to see more proven, experienced (25 - 30 years old) players who are capable of going straight into the 1st team. The last couple of transfer windows have been littered with aimless punts and the odd character who just causes issues.

Hope he does well but is this a case of jobs for the boys with Mcdermott time will tell welcome Alfie

Callum_62
17-06-2023, 05:25 PM
Hope he does well but is this a case of jobs for the boys with Mcdermott time will tell welcome AlfieJobs for the boys?

Christ almighty

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Since452
17-06-2023, 06:47 PM
Hope he does well but is this a case of jobs for the boys with Mcdermott time will tell welcome Alfie

Is his job not to find/recommend players?

Forza Fred
17-06-2023, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Callum_62;7374539]Jobs for the boys?

Christ almighty

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk[/

:top marks

JimBHibees
18-06-2023, 07:03 AM

Or using his knowledge to bring in a player he thinks improves the team.

GordonHFC
18-06-2023, 07:43 AM
A DoF bringing in players as 'jobs for the boys' won't be here very long.

Lago
18-06-2023, 09:03 AM
A DoF bringing in players as 'jobs for the boys' won't be here very long.
That's for sure, it's his job to source players.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-06-2023, 09:18 AM
On the flips-side a glass half full ante-dote…

Could the fella be our Craig Brewster signing ?

Pretty Green
19-06-2023, 09:32 AM
So much negativity about this signing. This guy has a decent shot and clever technique. I'm predicting he will be a big success for us, so much so Hibs will trigger the additional year on his contract.

Since452
19-06-2023, 09:40 AM
Listening to his interview and the way he comes across "good egg" comes to mind. Think he'll be great around the place.

HIBS NUTS
19-06-2023, 12:15 PM
On the flips-side a glass half full ante-dote…

Could the fella be our Craig Brewster signing ?

Mabye i’ve missed something with Craig Brewsters time with hibs.
I think he played one season 29 times and scored 3 goals, and had one assist.
Yes he had decent career, but i’m not exactly sure , he was that great with us.
Did he not move after us, to that massive club Dunfermline. 😳

Broken Gnome
19-06-2023, 12:40 PM

My memory of it is that he was a good fit early in the season when we were playing well. I can't really remember his role in the team - good or bad - when the form tailed off and McLeish/Sauzee became Williamson.

Folks' recollection of him is likely skewed a bit by repeated ragdollings that Crawford and Brewster gave us in the seasons after.

CapitalGreen
19-06-2023, 12:57 PM

The 2 seasons after he joined Dunfermline they finished 5th and 4th and reached the Scottish Cup final while we were languishing in the bottom 6.

JimBHibees
19-06-2023, 01:44 PM

Dunfermline were paying wages they couldn't afford and went bust not long after.

HIBS NUTS
19-06-2023, 02:02 PM
Dunfermline were paying wages they couldn't afford and went bust not long after.

I’m not doubting he was a decent player overall, but i don’t get the hope he’s like craig brewster, because he was pretty average for us.
As a previous poster said, he appeared to play well when against us.
But he wasent some world beater.😄

Hibbyradge
19-06-2023, 02:31 PM
I’m not doubting he was a decent player overall, but i don’t get the hope he’s like craig brewster, because he was pretty average for us.

I only have good memories of Brewster's time at Hibs. His hold up play was excellent and he played intelligently.

HoboHarry
19-06-2023, 04:17 PM
Brewster was average for us? How many pints were you having before the games back then?

Viva_Palmeiras
19-06-2023, 05:37 PM
The point about Brewster folks appear to have missed was his teaching the young guns their craft.

Time will indeed tell. It’s likely he’ll not run all day.

I suppose I could just dismiss him before he starts.

tamig
19-06-2023, 05:48 PM
I only have good memories of Brewster's time at Hibs. His hold up play was excellent and he played intelligently.

Thats how I remember it. Think he was a big help in GOCs development as well. He was far from productive on the goalscoring front but was part of a pretty devastating partnership with Stevie Crawford at Dunfermline. A pairing we all know they couldn’t afford.

B.H.F.C
19-06-2023, 06:07 PM
Brewster was average for us? How many pints were you having before the games back then?

I’m another who never thought he was more than average. Didn’t really score goals in what was a poor season all round. Remember him being above average when he went on to Dunfermline but not when he was with us.

No idea what Le Fondre will be like. Just want him to replace some of the goals Nisbet scored because if your strikers aren’t scoring, you don’t tend to get very far.

et_hibby
19-06-2023, 06:20 PM

I’m with you HR- good player.

jacomo
19-06-2023, 10:37 PM

:agree:

Did he go because we wouldn’t offer him a 2 year extension as he was getting on a bit? He went to The Pars and made us look a bit silly.