PDA

View Full Version : West/South corner

Diclonius
15-06-2023, 09:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4Pd1Pg6.png

We're not, are we? :wink:

bod
15-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Won’t be ready for the start of the season ,or will it ?

Nicho87
15-06-2023, 09:22 PM
Block 7 must be getting the whole of the famous 5

Hermit Crab
15-06-2023, 09:25 PM
Even if it were true its a completely nonsensical build, most of it would need to be kept clear for segregation issues. If we ever fill in corners (unlikely) then it has to be West/North and North/East. Keep the South separate.

tamig
15-06-2023, 09:33 PM
Even if it were true its a completely nonsensical build, most of it would need to be kept clear for segregation issues. If we ever fill in corners (unlikely) then it has to be West/North and North/East. Keep the South separate.

West/north would be practically impossible.

Hermit Crab
15-06-2023, 09:37 PM
West/north would be practically impossible.

It is without removing the ticket office which is possibly a listed building. The stadium is fine as it is anyway. We are years and years away from needing to fill in corners.

BoomtownHibees
15-06-2023, 09:48 PM

We're not, are we? :wink:

Nice pic mate. Where’d you get it? 😂

Glory Lurker
15-06-2023, 09:55 PM
Going up this week, I heard.

Part of the volunteers thing.

1875Sean
15-06-2023, 10:37 PM
Who is that supposed to be, big daz?

Vault Boy
15-06-2023, 10:38 PM
Jokes aside, it is a strange image for an official club partner to produce unprompted

Tambo
15-06-2023, 10:46 PM
Jokes aside, it is a strange image for an official club partner to produce unprompted

Talk about a tease! A lovely kit and filling in a corner? Maybe we are in on it lol

Fish on a permanent deal
Stadium expansion
Theo Walcott

Maybe the city group have started secretary investing in the club 😁

15-06-2023, 11:09 PM
Who is that supposed to be, big daz?

I'd say Lewis.

Hibbyradge
15-06-2023, 11:10 PM
No chance. :hilarious

SaulGoodman
15-06-2023, 11:17 PM
I know no one’s actually being serious but it’s an image they’ve used since Maloney was in charge. Except it’s Mueller (mind him) in the photo.

Why they’ve made ER look like that? Who knows.

LaMotta
15-06-2023, 11:24 PM
If we were to fill in a corner thats the only logical place to do it.

Also, if that is the new strip then It looks like a good one.

badabing67
16-06-2023, 12:05 AM

They could be funding it in the North East Corner ...... The Bevvy Stand

Auckland Hibs
16-06-2023, 12:58 AM
It's to accommodate the stampede of new season tickets when ALF joins

Aldo
16-06-2023, 06:52 AM
Definitely fake as they’ve missed out the helipad!

Bostonhibby
16-06-2023, 07:17 AM
Definitely fake as they’ve missed out the helipad!The Bevvy corner or Bevvy helipad has a certain ring to it, come on Hibs get it done.

And make the helipad free parking for all home fans.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
16-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Where are the away team going to park their bus apart from on the park ?

wilkie_1
16-06-2023, 07:55 AM

This is clearly the North/East corner in the photo.

You can notice the two triers on the side of the west stand and also the angle on the right side of the South

MKHIBEE
16-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Where are the away team going to park their bus apart from on the park ?
Harthill services if they are coming from the west would be e decent place

BoomtownHibees
16-06-2023, 07:57 AM

You can notice the two triers on the side of the west stand and also the angle on the right side of the South

If it was the north/east then the stand you’re looking at would be the one-tiered east.

The pic shows the corner filled in to the left of the 2-tiered west stand meaning it shows the south-west

wilkie_1
16-06-2023, 08:04 AM
If it was the north/east then the stand you’re looking at would be the one-tiered east.

The pic shows the corner filled in to the left of the 2-tiered west stand meaning it shows the south-west

Yeah true …….but doesn’t explain both angles of the North and South and the side of the stand on the left hand side showing two tiers.

Maybe bigger plans than just the corners? …..the long and short of it , it’s no happening anyways haha!

BoomtownHibees
16-06-2023, 08:07 AM
Yeah true …….but doesn’t explain both angles of the North and South and the side of the stand on the left hand side showing two tiers.

Maybe bigger plans than just the corners? …..the long and short of it , it’s no happening anyways haha!

Na a bit of wishful thinking

.Sean.
16-06-2023, 08:13 AM

Great spot that btw. That corner would be ideal for a standing section

LaMotta
16-06-2023, 09:18 AM
Great spot that btw. That corner would be ideal for a standing section

North East doesn't work as well as you'd have to link a 2 tier stand to a one tier.

Jones28
16-06-2023, 09:26 AM
It would look fantastic. Punt the away fans up in the corner and make the behind the goals at that end a standing section.

.Sean.
16-06-2023, 09:48 AM
North East doesn't work as well as you'd have to link a 2 tier stand to a one tier.
Im not an architect but I’m fairly certain a design could be thought up for it

weecounty hibby
16-06-2023, 10:46 AM
There is nothing that cannot be overcome by engineering. Only restrictions will be costs

hibsforeurope
16-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Talk about a tease! A lovely kit and filling in a corner? Maybe we are in on it lol

Fish on a permanent deal
Stadium expansion
Theo Walcott

Maybe the city group have started secretary investing in the club 😁

That could explain the new sky blue t-Shirts in the club shop

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2023, 01:28 PM
Could be anything .. and almost certainly nothing. The stand shown from the back clearly has two decks which would suggest the west stand. But the stands you can see the inside of also have two decks, which precludes the east. Conclusion: It's just a chuck away attempt at the stadium to go with a sticker.

Been following the build of Everton's new stadium and the new stand at Anfield, it makes me fair jealous that Hibs haven't really done anything to ER since the east was built over 10 years ago.
Everton have used angled corners rather than round ones and it looks really good ... Hibs could do the same joining up the lower decks of the FF and south stands with the bottom half of the East and stick the big screens above ... like they have at Ibrox. Probably wouldn't increase the capacity by more than a few hundred seats.

At the same time extend the roofs of the FF, East and South by a couple of metres to join them up and be nearer the pitch and Easter Road would be really enclosed and far more atmospheric.

NOTE: I know that would bring fans in the south end of the east and the away end far closer to each other, but by the time it was done all ( most of :greengrin) our radges will be in the FF lower and we could use seat coverings like the do at Tynecastle to keep fans apart.

When you consider the East stand cost about 3 million quid to build in it's entirety there's no way such a project would cost any more than that and it would vastly improve the stadium.

The Spaceman
16-06-2023, 01:50 PM
It looks a pretty deliberate action to me - the south stand and west stand have the bars along the top as normal with the corner not a continuation of that?

Steven79
16-06-2023, 02:32 PM
Could be anything .. and almost certainly nothing. The stand shown from the back clearly has two decks which would suggest the west stand. But the stands you can see the inside of also have two decks, which precludes the east. Conclusion: It's just a chuck away attempt at the stadium to go with a sticker.

Been following the build of Everton's new stadium and the new stand at Anfield, it makes me fair jealous that Hibs haven't really done anything to ER since the east was built over 10 years ago.
Everton have used angled corners rather than round ones and it looks really good ... Hibs could do the same joining up the lower decks of the FF and south stands with the bottom half of the East and stick the big screens above ... like they have at Ibrox. Probably wouldn't increase the capacity by more than a few hundred seats.

At the same time extend the roofs of the FF, East and South by a couple of metres to join them up and be nearer the pitch and Easter Road would be really enclosed and far more atmospheric.

NOTE: I know that would bring fans in the south end of the east and the away end far closer to each other, but by the time it was done all ( most of :greengrin) our radges will be in the FF lower and we could use seat coverings like the do at Tynecastle to keep fans apart.

When you consider the East stand cost about 3 million quid to build in it's entirety there's no way such a project would cost any more than that and it would vastly improve the stadium.

Didn't the East Stand cost at least £6 million? I'm sure it would cost much more to build now as well.

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2023, 09:10 PM
Didn't the East Stand cost at least £6 million? I'm sure it would cost much more to build now as well.

I stand corrected, 6 million it was.

That being said, a basic job to connect the bottom half of the east with the FF and South lower decks surely wouldn't cost anything like that. You wouldn't be adding any more toilets or food outlets or anything like that, just a basic extension of the seating deck to join up with the two end stands and a bit of roofing that put together still probably wouldn't be as big as the FF stand roof. Move the two screens we already own to sit above the new seats and it's job done. Giving you a more or less fully enclosed stadium.

WhileTheChief..
17-06-2023, 09:05 AM

That being said, a basic job to connect the bottom half of the east with the FF and South lower decks surely wouldn't cost anything like that. You wouldn't be adding any more toilets or food outlets or anything like that, just a basic extension of the seating deck to join up with the two end stands and a bit of roofing that put together still probably wouldn't be as big as the FF stand roof. Move the two screens we already own to sit above the new seats and it's job done. Giving you a more or less fully enclosed stadium.

I've thought similar to this for years. Not wanting to compare to Ibrox, but the way they did the corners there could work well for us.

It's more about giving the stadium a complete look than the extra seats and should be the next thing they do if upgrading ER.

Jonpaulnevin
17-06-2023, 09:50 AM
This concept for New York City FC new stadium would look awesome for the corners at Easter Road. This could sit within the current stadium footprint and the current stands modified accordingly etc

https://www.nycfc.com/stadium

60yearahibby
17-06-2023, 10:07 AM

One major problem with filling in the corners is the effect it would have on the pitch.Apart from sunlight and water a high performance pitch also requires good air circulation. Close off the corners and the grate of circulation is dramatically reduced. I'm pretty sure that the new Wembley stadium has grilles hidden below a lot of the lower tier seats which are opened when the stadium is not in use. EPL teams have the finance for fans and artificial lights which we just couldn't afford. Another deck in the East Stand would be best in my opinion if increased capacity is required. Would certainly help with the long time it takes to get out from the back rows.

Hibbyradge
17-06-2023, 10:16 AM
One major problem with filling in the corners is the effect it would have on the pitch.Apart from sunlight and water a high performance pitch also requires good air circulation. Close off the corners and the grate of circulation is dramatically reduced. I'm pretty sure that the new Wembley stadium has grilles hidden below a lot of the lower tier seats which are opened when the stadium is not in use. EPL teams have the finance for fans and artificial lights which we just couldn't afford. Another deck in the East Stand would be best in my opinion if increased capacity is required. Would certainly help with the long time it takes to get out from the back rows.

Would the new hybrid pitch be robust enough to cope with that? :dunno:

60yearahibby
17-06-2023, 10:22 AM
Would the new hybrid pitch be robust enough to cope with that? :dunno:

Not an expert by any means on pitches but my understanding is that the synthetic elements of a hybrid pitch is to help bind the roots of the grass together to reduce wear and tear. Whether a hybrid pitch requires less air circulation is a question for the expert designers/contractors.

NAE NOOKIE
17-06-2023, 09:05 PM

It's not about increasing capacity, it's about enclosing the stadium.

Good luck getting planning permission to add another deck onto the east by the way, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons it was built when it was was that Hibs were afraid the existing planning permission for the height they wanted to build to when the time came would run out and be refused on re application, because of the flats that had subsequently been built behind it since the permission was originally granted. IMO there's absolutely no chance planning permission would be granted to increase the height of the east with another deck.
The fact that the price of steel had fallen through the floor enabled us to get the initial project done before the planning permission expired, which was lucky for us or the new east would probably be two thirds the height it is now.

As for the pitch. Hibs have said themselves we already have a problem with lack of light and the air circulation to it anyway, so I doubt filling in the two corners would make things much worse than they already are. Our plan to install solar panels on the stand roofs could be the solution to the cost of running heat lamps ..... It could also be the case that hybrid pitches need less air circulation, probably not, but that is a question I'm sure others can answer.

At the end of the day stuff like filling in the corners has to be part of the future trajectory of the club if you want to make it the best it can be. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

Bridge hibs
18-06-2023, 04:44 AM

Good luck getting planning permission to add another deck onto the east by the way, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons it was built when it was was that Hibs were afraid the existing planning permission for the height they wanted to build to when the time came would run out and be refused on re application, because of the flats that had subsequently been built behind it since the permission was originally granted. IMO there's absolutely no chance planning permission would be granted to increase the height of the east with another deck.
The fact that the price of steel had fallen through the floor enabled us to get the initial project done before the planning permission expired, which was lucky for us or the new east would probably be two thirds the height it is now.

As for the pitch. Hibs have said themselves we already have a problem with lack of light and the air circulation to it anyway, so I doubt filling in the two corners would make things much worse than they already are. Our plan to install solar panels on the stand roofs could be the solution to the cost of running heat lamps ..... It could also be the case that hybrid pitches need less air circulation, probably not, but that is a question I'm sure others can answer.

At the end of the day stuff like filling in the corners has to be part of the future trajectory of the club if you want to make it the best it can be. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.Hibs could certainly utilise the void between the FF and the East without impacting on the flats that are close by. I think what could be done is a link to the upper current void in the East to create bars and improve access/egress. I cant find any proof online but Im sure its out there somewhere that the void, which is massive could accommodate bars/toilets etc was an option in the future if there was a requirement

The important thing at the time as you have alluded to was to get the old East down and to get the new East up due to costs etc. Obviously this is not about increasing capacity with added decking, we are a long time away from that requirement, from a commercial point of view it would make more sense esp with the success of the facilities in the West

Aldo
18-06-2023, 05:33 AM
If we wanted to increase capacity etc we could just do what our Gorgie Chums have done with their single tier main stand. Install smaller width seats! We could easily take our capacity to levels far beyond their reach! [emoji12]

.Sean.
18-06-2023, 06:30 AM

At the end of the day stuff like filling in the corners has to be part of the future trajectory of the club if you want to make it the best it can be. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.Ive always thought your suggestion of a smaller East but with the corners either side of it filled would have been smarter

McGruber
18-06-2023, 07:26 AM
Doubt we'd ever increase capacity until such time attendances were really high over a sustained period with regular sell outs. As it is we have plenty of supply for demand in recent years. If the time comes and it's feasible then it would be great. Don't know about the issue of height of build for planning permission but the East was built and designed deliberately in a way to add a second tier - remember Hibs saying so at the time of Scotland chatting about hosting a major tournament

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2023, 11:12 AM
Absolutely no need to increase the capacity at Easter Road, any major investment needs to be on the team.

bingo70
18-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Doubt we'd ever increase capacity until such time attendances were really high over a sustained period with regular sell outs. As it is we have plenty of supply for demand in recent years. If the time comes and it's feasible then it would be great. Don't know about the issue of height of build for planning permission but the East was built and designed deliberately in a way to add a second tier - remember Hibs saying so at the time of Scotland chatting about hosting a major tournament

Don’t disagree with you, it’s hard to justify an increased capacity just now.

Playing devils advocate though, would it not make more sense to increase it before the demand is there so when there is a need for it, the infrastructure is there to make the most of it. If we wait till we need it, by the time we’ve built it, it might not be needed any more.

Hibbyradge
18-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Absolutely no need to increase the capacity at Easter Road, any major investment needs to be on the team.

It would royally piss off the size obsessed muppets across the city so that's enough reason to do it, as far as I am concerned.

Hibbyradge
18-06-2023, 12:02 PM

Playing devils advocate though, would it not make more sense to increase it before the demand is there so when there is a need for it, the infrastructure is there to make the most of it. If we wait till we need it, by the time we’ve built it, it might not be needed any more.

If you build it, they will come.

City Group, I mean. :wink:

mutley
18-06-2023, 12:02 PM
It would royally piss off the size obsessed muppets across the city so that's enough reason to do it, as far as I am concerned.

Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bingo70
18-06-2023, 12:11 PM
If you build it, they will come.

City Group, I mean. :wink:

The thought hadn’t crossed my mind 😜

Michael
18-06-2023, 12:11 PM
The stadium is already near enough the perfect size for us. If we're having a good season it's difficult to get tickets for the big games, but achievable to get tickets for the others - which is just where you want to be.

Hibbyradge
18-06-2023, 01:11 PM
The stadium is already near enough the perfect size for us. If we're having a good season it's difficult to get tickets for the big games, but achievable to get tickets for the others - which is just where you want to be.

More hospitality and a few more seats while filling in a corner. What's not to like?

CockneyRebel
18-06-2023, 01:13 PM

Also the costs involved will increase year on year (unless there's another steel price collapse).

Keith_M
18-06-2023, 01:23 PM

Im not an architect but I’m fairly certain a design could be thought up for it

The slope of the East Stand is the same level as the FF Upper, meaning that it actually would be possible to extend the East as a (steep) single tier into the corner.

Only pointing out the possibility, as the pic is quite clearly a total booboo on the part of whoever posted it.

Bridge hibs
18-06-2023, 01:32 PM

Playing devils advocate though, would it not make more sense to increase it before the demand is there so when there is a need for it, the infrastructure is there to make the most of it. If we wait till we need it, by the time we’ve built it, it might not be needed any more.Folk on here moan their heids off on thread after thread about the FF lower looking empty, its a constant, I can imagine building something with more empty spaces would send them into meltdown 🤣

Hibbyradge
18-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Only pointing out the possibility, as the pic is quite clearly a total booboo on the part of whoever posted it.

I doubt it was a mistake.

It was either a deliberate ploy to get folk talking about it (them) which I doubt, a fun imagining of what we've been discussing for years, which I doubt because it would have included a helipad, or it's happening.

Pick the bones out of that lot! :wink:

bingo70
18-06-2023, 02:06 PM
Folk on here moan their heids off on thread after thread about the FF lower looking empty, its a constant, I can imagine building something with more empty spaces would send them into meltdown 🤣

Yup, another great reason to build it.

I know I’m in the minority but I think investing in the infrastructure on things that’ll provide a regular source of income is the best way to spend any cash windfalls. I don’t think we need the extra seats that would come from filling in a corner however if we can combine that with a building that includes office space/student housing/supporters bar/hotel then that’d be brilliant.

I know it was said the area between the FF and the east would be difficult to build on but there must be some sort of solution possible. Seems such a waste of ground and there’s not much wasted ground in this area of Edinburgh.

Renfrew_Hibby
18-06-2023, 02:43 PM
A couple of lower tier corners connecting the East to the FF and South stands, big screens above (Ibrox style) would raise capacity to just over 21,000.

If possible a smaller upper tier (around half the size of the exsiting East so about 16 rows of seating) would raise capacity to roughly 24,250.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward job but to build. Costs and complications would rise depending on what you wanted to put in the space below the new East upper.

It would be great for the team to run out to a large imposing East and it would be reminiscent of the old huge East of yesteryear. Im just not sure if the flats overlooking the East could scupper any future development.

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2023, 03:28 PM
A couple of lower tier corners connecting the East to the FF and South stands, big screens above (Ibrox style) would raise capacity to just over 21,000.

If possible a smaller upper tier (around half the size of the exsiting East so about 16 rows of seating) would raise capacity to roughly 24,250.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward job but to build. Costs and complications would rise depending on what you wanted to put in the space below the new East upper.

It would be great for the team to run out to a large imposing East and it would be reminicent of the old huge East of yesteryear. Im just not sure if the flats overlooking the East could scupper any future development.

If we do add another tier to any stand it would probably have to be the west given that all it backs onto are buildings not in use as residences .... Imagine a 3 deck monolith with the FF and south corners filled in, what a stadium Easter Road would be :greengrin

In the next 20 years Edinburgh's population is projected to grow by nearly 70,000 residents and if you chuck in the surrounding towns in Hibs catchment area that probably rises to about 100,000. In Galashiels they are building like mental, I can see a new estate springing up from my living room window as I type and a far larger one has been built on the other end of the town and is still being added to.

When it comes to the borders most of it's 100,000 plus population live within a 90 minute drive of Edinburgh and there's every chance the train line from Galashiels to Edinburgh will be extended to Hawick with it's near 15,000 population in the next 10 years, it's less than an hour from Galashiels to Waverley station.

So long as football retains it's popularity and Hibs make a concerted effort to win a decent share of that potential support there's every chance that we could grow our supporter base by a good few thousand in the next quarter century and Easter Road will have to expand to accommodate it, I can see the capacity being around 23,000 by that time.

southern hibby
18-06-2023, 04:02 PM
I said when the East was first built, build a bar between two of the stands and have it run like a pub to generate extra income.

Not sure how successful it would be but I think it would generate a steady stream.

GGTTH

Since90+2
18-06-2023, 04:12 PM
I said when the East was first built, build a bar between two of the stands and have it run like a pub to generate extra income.

Not sure how successful it would be but I think it would generate a steady stream.

GGTTH

I love the idea of that, but I'm not sure commercially it would work. It would cost a fortune to build and wet based pubs are struggling as it is, and it would only be open a few days a month.

RG was a very commercially switch on guy, I'm sure if it was viable he'd have taken steps to make it happen.

TelaStella
18-06-2023, 04:12 PM

Nah not in its current form. That chat goes back years ago, early 2000’s, I think Euro 2008 was the intention with the old east being rebuilt for a more modern, similar sized stand capable of adding an extra tier for the tournament. Basically another west stand was the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsforeurope
18-06-2023, 08:44 PM
When we fully the new east folk said we didn’t need it, attendance was too low to ever fill, we needed investment on the pitch ,etc. seems a very similar scenario to this potential plan.

Jones28
18-06-2023, 08:48 PM

GGTTH

I’m not sure a bar would work. A hotel might, with a museum and bar built in.

You’d have to have something that generated an income for more than the 25 or so days a year Easter road is actually in use.

Hibbyradge
18-06-2023, 09:02 PM
When we fully the new east folk said we didn’t need it, attendance was too low to ever fill, we needed investment on the pitch ,etc. seems a very similar scenario to this potential plan.

Is there a plan? :wink:

I agree with the sentiment though.

Bostonhibby
18-06-2023, 09:40 PM
It would royally piss off the size obsessed muppets across the city so that's enough reason to do it, as far as I am concerned.Yep, I've got a spare couch that I'm happy to donate to that cause so that's another 3 seats.

**** I'll drive it up myself if it pisses them off.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibsforeurope
19-06-2023, 09:10 AM

I very much doubt it’s in the pipeline just now, we have bigger priorities.
But maybe when we win the cup in may we can start.

NAE NOOKIE
19-06-2023, 01:08 PM

There always has to be a plan doesn't there?

How can you own or be the CEO of a club and not walk round the stadium and every time you do it think 'what can we do to improve this place' what can we do to improve the atmosphere, what can we do to enclose this stadium and make it more like the ones the big boys have?

Even if it's a case of having to wait for the right time financially that doesn't mean the club shouldn't always have making Easter Road a better place football stadium wise at the forefront of their thoughts all the time.

greenginger
19-06-2023, 01:34 PM
There always has to be a plan doesn't there?

How can you own or be the CEO of a club and not walk round the stadium and every time you do it think 'what can we do to improve this place' what can we do to improve the atmosphere, what can we do to enclose this stadium and make it more like the ones the big boys have?

Even if it's a case of having to wait for the right time financially that doesn't mean the club shouldn't always have making Easter Road a better place football stadium wise at the forefront of their thoughts all the time.

Filling in that SW corner might provide an extra 1500 seats and would only realistically be filled by the uglies and jambos in the near future.

6 games , 1500 seats at £30 a ticket , about £270,000 per season. I don’t know if that would justify the outlay on the construction costs.

NAE NOOKIE
19-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Filling in that SW corner might provide an extra 1500 seats and would only realistically be filled by the uglies and jambos in the near future.

6 games , 1500 seats at £30 a ticket , about £270,000 per season. I don’t know if that would justify the outlay on the construction costs.

It's not really about increasing capacity though, its simply about making the stadium more enclosed, my idea for that further back in the thread only proposed adding about another 500 seats or so, if you are lucky, by linking the bottom half of the east to the lower decks of the FF and south stands and moving the big screens to be above those seats ... very much like Ibrox.

As I said earlier, if the east stand cost 6 million to build 13 years ago I highly doubt filling in the corners in this way would cost even half of that now, but it would vastly improve the stadium.

The atmosphere and look of a stadium are things worth investing in IMO ... both Real Madrid and Barcelona are in the process of redeveloping their stadiums, in both cases as far as I know neither project will lead to an increase in capacity, in fact in Real Madrid's case the capacity will be slightly lowered, or so I hear.

speedy_gonzales
19-06-2023, 10:02 PM
It's not really about increasing capacity though, its simply about making the stadium more enclosed, my idea for that further back in the thread only proposed adding about another 500 seats or so, if you are lucky, by linking the bottom half of the east to the lower decks of the FF and south stands and moving the big screens to be above those seats ... very much like Ibrox.

As I said earlier, if the east stand cost 6 million to build 13 years ago I highly doubt filling in the corners in this way would cost even half of that now, but it would vastly improve the stadium.

The atmosphere and look of a stadium are things worth investing in IMO ... both Real Madrid and Barcelona are in the process of redeveloping their stadiums, in both cases as far as I know neither project will lead to an increase in capacity, in fact in Real Madrid's case the capacity will be slightly lowered, or so I hear.

I seem to remember Rod pulling a blinder here as steel and construction costs were very low due to the '08 market crash.

Hibbyradge
19-06-2023, 10:10 PM
I seem to remember Rod pulling a blinder here as steel and construction costs were very low due to the '08 market crash.

He did. :agree:

TelaStella
19-06-2023, 10:20 PM
A quick google search to help for some visual reference. The later two were lifted from a bygone thread here - https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339797-Which-Improvements-Would-You-Like-To-See-Most-At-ER/page7 https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/ea2453806b0a888e4a987a8539bb9b32.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/8f17a7b4e4059517fce92b5bb63261fc.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/39e7ffd752c84965fd4240a6ecdb9d77.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/d5cb379ba11be1233dcfa63fe2afcf5d.jpg

Hibbyradge
19-06-2023, 11:09 PM
A quick google search to help for some visual reference. The later two were lifted from a bygone thread here - https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339797-Which-Improvements-Would-You-Like-To-See-Most-At-ER/page7 https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/ea2453806b0a888e4a987a8539bb9b32.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/39e7ffd752c84965fd4240a6ecdb9d77.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230619/d5cb379ba11be1233dcfa63fe2afcf5d.jpg

Good research.

It means we can put the idea to bed and assume that these new Hibs fan sponsors have never actually been inside Easter Road. :greengrin

Nicho87
19-06-2023, 11:14 PM
I know that top pictures been about for a few years but I still think the stadium would look amazing if you joined up the north with east and west. That pic with west as the meat in the sandwhich looks bloody tasty though.

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2023, 11:18 AM

Indeed he did. Say what you like aboot the tache but he was a slick mover when it came to infrastructure. The fitba side no sae much.

I'm no quantity surveyor, but when you look at ER from above on Google maps extending the lower part of the East to join up with the FF and South lower decks and stick a roof over them to join up the 3 stand roofs would have to be a relatively minor project compared to even one of the end stands, requiring a fraction of the materials. West Brom have a similar set up in one corner of the Hawthorns for those who hate comparing ER to Ibrox :greengrin

Considering there would be little demolition required apart from to remove part of the side walls of the stands involved and no extra toilets or food kiosks required you could probably get the whole job done in a few months ... It shouldn't be forgotten that there was a hell of a lot of demolition work to be costed into the construction of the 4 stands we currently have, which wouldn't really be the case with this project.

DH1875
20-06-2023, 12:18 PM
I always thought that the stands were built the way they are so that in future they could be joined together without to much disruption. No idea if that's true or not though.

Kato
20-06-2023, 12:43 PM
I always thought that the stands were built the way they are so that in future they could be joined together without to much disruption. No idea if that's true or not though.True. Initial plans were based on Anderlecht's stadium.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2023, 12:56 PM
I always thought that the stands were built the way they are so that in future they could be joined together without to much disruption. No idea if that's true or not though.

I went to one of the club's fan consultations at Easter Road when the proposal to build the new east was mooted by Hibs. The discussion was whether to make the new stand single or double decker, with single winning out for a number of logical and emotional reasons. What I do not recall was the new stand mock up images being shown in context with the FF and South. If they had been I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would have expressed concern about how far back from the end stands the new east was going to sit, even after the pitch had been widened, the large gaps it left would not have impressed me at least.

Long past time they were filled in IMO.

tamig
20-06-2023, 01:28 PM
I know that top pictures been about for a few years but I still think the stadium would look amazing if you joined up the north with east and west. That pic with west as the meat in the sandwhich looks bloody tasty though.

It would be possible to join north and west - but highly unlikely due to the configuration of the road. Costs would be highly prohibitive imo. South west and north east corners are the only viable areas that could be developed at a relatively affordable cost. The other options would be to build other structures in each of the corners if people were really that fussed about having a more enclosed looking stadium.

I can’t believe this thread is still running tbh. I can’t see anything happening on this front anytime soon. We have more important things to do with our budget at the moment.

TelaStella
20-06-2023, 05:36 PM
It would be possible to join north and west - but highly unlikely due to the configuration of the road. Costs would be highly prohibitive imo. South west and north east corners are the only viable areas that could be developed at a relatively affordable cost. The other options would be to build other structures in each of the corners if people were really that fussed about having a more enclosed looking stadium.

I can’t believe this thread is still running tbh. I can’t see anything happening on this front anytime soon. We have more important things to do with our budget at the moment.

Re the north/west corner.

Anderlecht has been mentioned and if their model was anything to go by, the north/west corner may not be as difficult as first thought. Attached are pictures of a corner of the Anderlecht stadium used as some sort of hospitality mixed use (guess) and the current North/West gap at ER. If we were to implement something similar while using one or all the remaining corners for seating/screens, I don’t see why it couldn’t be pulled off. Incorporating the ticket office Into any future development in that corner would be fundamental of course. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230620/2e4ca9b32f1b477c7cca40c38b146866.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230620/d6dd250755226bfff5d194839ab0431b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230620/011b75d3d8c210603d52cf1bcb5e88ff.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230620/682ee2e32e59338613cf7f40cbc287c7.jpg

cabbageandribs1875
20-06-2023, 05:56 PM

Anderlecht has been mentioned and if their model was anything to go by, the north/west corner may not be as difficult as first thought. Attached are pictures of a corner of the Anderlecht stadium used as some sort of hospitality mixed use (guess) and the current North/West gap at ER. If we were to implement something similar while using one or all the remaining corners for seating/screens, I don’t see why it couldn’t be pulled off. Incorporating the ticket office Into any future development in that corner would be fundamental of course.

iirc the board were indeed impressed with the Anderlecht stadium after we played there though i'm not sure just how serious they considered it.

Rick Rude
20-06-2023, 06:24 PM
Wasn't Anderlecht more the claimed inspiration for what they were planning to build out at Straiton? That's how I remember it at least.

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2023, 11:48 PM

Its guid fun for us stadium geeks :greengrin

.Sean.
21-06-2023, 07:31 AM

Anderlecht has been mentioned and if their model was anything to go by, the north/west corner may not be as difficult as first thought. Attached are pictures of a corner of the Anderlecht stadium used as some sort of hospitality mixed use (guess) and the current North/West gap at ER. If we were to implement something similar while using one or all the remaining corners for seating/screens, I don’t see why it couldn’t be pulled off. Incorporating the ticket office Into any future development in that corner would be fundamental of course. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230620/2e4ca9b32f1b477c7cca40c38b146866.jpg

I think the North West corner filled in would look squint and lop sided due to where they are in respect of the pitch to eachother

overdrive
21-06-2023, 09:08 AM
I think the North West corner filled in would look squint and lop sided due to where they are in respect of the pitch to eachother

Think you would potentially need to take away some the FF at that end to make it work. Perhaps in line to the inner point of the cut off bit in the upper.

tamig
21-06-2023, 11:20 AM
Its guid fun for us stadium geeks :greengrin

I’m one as well 👍

tamig
21-06-2023, 11:22 AM

I did mention “other structures”, i.e., no-seating areas in my post. I think that would be an easier and more aesthetically pleasing way to enclose things.

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2023, 12:07 PM
Think you would potentially need to take away some the FF at that end to make it work. Perhaps in line to the inner point of the cut off bit in the upper.

We are back to planning permission again though. As it stands the gap between the FF and West allows a fair bit of natural light through to the buildings at that end of the street, if Hibs were to attempt an Anderlecht style effort in that corner to join up the two stands we could well end up with objections from the folk living in those houses over loss of light.

Of all the corners at ER the FF / West is almost certainly the one where nothing will ever be built. As it is the FF / West and South / West corners are OK because on that side of the stadium both end stands reach the main stand, whereas on the East side they certainly do not.

My preferred option of an Ibrox style solution seems the obvious one ( at least to me :greengrin ) there's no way the top of the East could be extended to join the top deck of the South, but there's just enough room to extend the lower portion of the East to join up with the bottom deck of the South. Do that in both corners on the East side of the ground and you'll have an enclosed stadium that also looks far more in proportion, and of all the options it seems the most affordable for the reasons I've given further back in the thread. As I said, have a look on Google Earth, the whole project would barely require the amount of steel and concrete it took to construct the top deck of the FF.

mutley
21-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Here are a few photos from A Le Coq Arena, Tallinn, Estonia (I was at the Estonia v Belgium game last night) and as you can see they have done a few things on the corners .

Not saying it would work for ER, but you get the idea.

greenlex
21-06-2023, 04:18 PM
Here are a few photos from A Le Coq Arena, Tallinn, Estonia (I was at the Estonia v Belgium game last night) and as you can see they have done a few things on the corners .

Did you catch a glimpse of Du Bruyne’s bird? Is she tidy?

Keith_M
21-06-2023, 07:31 PM
A quick google search to help for some visual reference. The later two were lifted from a bygone thread here - https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339797-Which-Improvements-Would-You-Like-To-See-Most-At-ER/page7

(https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339797-Which-Improvements-Would-You-Like-To-See-Most-At-ER/page7)...

So the pic on the OP (see below) is actually this one, surely?

IIRC, that image was created by a Hibs Fan a few years back as a bit of fun.... and they've just hijacked it.

We're not, are we? https://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/winky.gif

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2023, 11:44 AM

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

IMO the main stand corners at ER are for addressing at a date far far into the future.

What lets the stadium down, and they do, are the corners between the East and end stands ... In the last 13 years Hibs have done little to the actual structure of the stadium, it seems such a shame considering the massive improvements made to it since the 90s with it to all intents and purposes being entirely rebuilt. Get these corners done and IMO that's an unfinished stadium finally finished.

It will be a good few years before we have to be thinking of ways to expand it's capacity by any significant amount which would be the only reason to tinker with it further after these two corners are addressed. .

.Sean.
22-06-2023, 11:54 AM
Something else I have been thinking about - the Famous 5 and South are now approaching 30 years old, what’s the lifespan of them?

I remember arial photos of the stadium from a few years ago and the roofs were looking shocking

Hibbyradge
22-06-2023, 12:23 PM
So the pic on the OP (see below) is actually this one, surely?

IIRC, that image was created by a Hibs Fan a few years back as a bit of fun.... and they've just hijacked it.

Possibly, but if so, they've altered it quite a bit.