PDA

View Full Version : Europe - is it just me...?

leithsansiro
05-06-2023, 03:12 PM
I was chatting to a pal about qualifying for European football and what it means to Scottish clubs (outside of the OF).

In years gone by, it was glamourous and was a well-earned reward. It mattered and it gave people a genuine buzz. Anderlecht, Videoton, AEK Athens...loved Hibs having a wee European adventure.
Now though, I'm not so sure. Is the idea of having "qualified for Europe" really that big a pull for either fans or potential signing targets? Would a player choose us over someone else (assuming it's similar wages on offer) simply because we're in Europe?

I'm not sure what it is (though I suspect it's to do with the over-exposure of football and the watering-down of European competition), but I'm not entirely certain that being "in Europe" counts for as much. Financially, if teams are in the group stages, that's perhaps a different ball game.

Or is it just me?

Alex Trager
05-06-2023, 03:20 PM
I was chatting to a pal about qualifying for European football and what it means to Scottish clubs (outside of the OF).

In years gone by, it was glamourous and was a well-earned reward. It mattered and it gave people a genuine buzz. Anderlecht, Videoton, AEK Athens...loved Hibs having a wee European adventure.
Now though, I'm not so sure. Is the idea of having "qualified for Europe" really that big a pull for either fans or potential signing targets? Would a player choose us over someone else (assuming it's similar wages on offer) simply because we're in Europe?

I'm not sure what it is (though I suspect it's to do with the over-exposure of football and the watering-down of European competition), but I'm not entirely certain that being "in Europe" counts for as much. Financially, if teams are in the group stages, that's perhaps a different ball game.

Or is it just me?
I think actually being in Europe would absolutely be a pull.

Being in a qualifier, less so.

Having three qualifiers to navigate, well. I just don’t see that pulling people in at all in itself.

The carrot of the groups for third place in addition to the fact that a club was relatively close to third would be a pull, perhaps.

DH1875
05-06-2023, 03:23 PM
Playing against big clubs in the group stages, absolutely. Playing an Irish or Welsh team to then get horsed by a team from Norway, not so much.

Cat Stanton
05-06-2023, 03:28 PM
Playing against big clubs in the group stages, absolutely. Playing an Irish or Welsh team to then get horsed by a team from Norway, not so much.

*Hopefully* getting horsed by the Norwegians, and not the Irish or Welsh.

Garymcl
05-06-2023, 04:30 PM
For me getting into Europe is all about potentially the fans having a soirée or two and memories I’ve had a few from trips over the years and the bonus if the club make a bob or two in that order

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 04:35 PM
It's potential for a nice away day but yes, unless you are actually in the groups it's barely worth mentioning.

The best thing about it is it prevents you having to playing in the league Cup groups.

Pretty Boy
05-06-2023, 04:40 PM
It's a trip away for us fans and an excuse to go on the piss in an 'exotic' location for a day or 2. That's about it though.

We start so early nowadays (not quite so bad this year) that we never seem ready and you get the 'it's all about the league season' line, the reward for which is another European trip that we aren't ready for.....I'd rather be in that not of course but the group stages are where both the money and glamour are.

Pagan Hibernia
05-06-2023, 04:47 PM
Can’t answer for the players, but I love qualifying for Europe and am excited about the draw.

im just sorry I missed the 60s and 70s when going far in the tournaments was expected and winning them wasn’t beyond the realms of possibility. But alas, in this modern lopsided football world that we endure, a couple of qualifiers will have to do.

better to be in them than not. It’s another few hundred grand in the clubs coffers if nothing else.

Hermit Crab
05-06-2023, 05:26 PM
It's potential for a nice away day but yes, unless you are actually in the groups it's barely worth mentioning.

The best thing about it is it prevents you having to playing in the league Cup groups.

Barely worth mentioning? Aye no bother, the chance to play abroad with the potential of group stage football until Xmas and its barely worth mentioning. Thats some take that pal.

JoeT
05-06-2023, 05:32 PM
Are we calling it the Euro Vauxhall Conference or is it the Opel Conference?

Since452
05-06-2023, 05:35 PM
I'm quite looking forward to it to be honest. Beats the league cup group stage.

Bristolhibby
05-06-2023, 05:39 PM
I'm quite looking forward to it to be honest. Beats the league cup group stage.

And we may get some friendlies in England (cough, cough Hibs).

J

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 05:41 PM
Barely worth mentioning? Aye no bother, the chance to play abroad with the potential of group stage football until Xmas and its barely worth mentioning. Thats some take that pal.

There is 0 chance of any club making it through the qualifiers. The only team that will reach the groups is the team that wins the Scottish Cup/comes 3rd.

The qualifiers are indeed barely worth mentioning.

Gmack7
05-06-2023, 05:53 PM
There is 0 chance of any club making it through the qualifiers. The only team that will reach the groups is the team that wins the Scottish Cup/comes 3rd.

Not from our league but Alkmar did OK last season

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 06:01 PM
Not from our league but Alkmar did OK last season
Not sure I get your point. I'm saying no Scottish team is good enough to get through the qualifiers.

EGL2000
05-06-2023, 06:05 PM

Teams considerably worse than Scottish sides have made it through in the two seasons of conference football.

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 06:11 PM
Teams considerably worse than Scottish sides have made it through in the two seasons of conference football.

Which teams?

EGL2000
05-06-2023, 06:14 PM
Which teams?

Lincoln red imps
Shamrock
Mura
Flora
RFS
Vaduz
Ballkani
Zalgiris

If Hibs played well we would beat all those teams over 2 legs. Some of those teams will need to play more games/ be unseeded for more rounds and made it.

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 06:22 PM
Lincoln red imps
Shamrock
Mura
Flora
RFS
Vaduz
Ballkani
Zalgiris

If Hibs played well we would beat all those teams over 2 legs. Some of those teams will need to play more games/ be unseeded for more rounds and made it.

Did they all make it through the qualifiers or did they automatically get a spot for winning their league? Didn't RFS get draws against Fiorentina and the Turkish team?

EGL2000
05-06-2023, 06:30 PM
Did they all make it through the qualifiers or did they automatically get a spot for winning their league? Didn't RFS get draws against Fiorentina and the Turkish team?

Only 2 qualified automatically. Ballkini and Vaduz each had to win 3 ties. RFS were honking over 2 games against hearts.

Hermit Crab
05-06-2023, 06:30 PM

Hearts beat them at a canter home and away. Fiorentina played a considerably weakened team against them and RFS essentially parked the bus. I do not understand the ballsiness attitude of 'its only a qualifier'. That group stage is worth millions in revenue to us.

Hermit Crab
05-06-2023, 06:32 PM

Bull****. A kind draw and we can easily qualify.

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 06:35 PM
Hearts beat them at a canter home and away. Fiorentina played a considerably weakened team against them and RFS essentially parked the bus. I do not understand the ballsiness attitude of 'its only a qualifier'. That group stage is worth millions in revenue to us.
The group stage is of course massive. But my point is that we are so far away from the groups that it's not even worth acknowledging them.
Happy to be proven wrong but I can't see a Scottish team ever managing to get through 2 or 3 qualifiers.

Donegal Hibby
05-06-2023, 06:43 PM
There's a lot of other clubs that would like to be in our position as a team that's qualified for Europe . It would be nicer to be in the groups stage I know but I'm just glad we are in it . It's nice for the fans to get to travel to support the team in countries with different cultures and good for the players to get experience of European football. It might also help us attracting players to our club while making the club a few quid hopefully. WIN / WIN all the way . As to it barely beng worth mentioning if Hibs are in it then it's worth mentioning alright . GGTTH 🇳🇬

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2023, 07:01 PM
For me getting into Europe is all about potentially the fans having a soirée or two and memories I’ve had a few from trips over the years and the bonus if the club make a bob or two in that order

I've been to some brilliant places thanks to Hibs (and Scotland) that I would never have dreamt of visiting previously, been back to a few since too.

SlickShoes
05-06-2023, 07:09 PM
Hope the players have a better attitude towards it than the fans

Hibbyradge
05-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Hope the players have a better attitude towards it than the fans

One fan...

Dmas
05-06-2023, 07:17 PM
The group stage is of course massive. But my point is that we are so far away from the groups that it's not even worth acknowledging them.
Happy to be proven wrong but I can't see a Scottish team ever managing to get through 2 or 3 qualifiers.

Europa league is needing a miracle through qualifiers I’m not sure the conference league is out with the realms of possibility though, we’re needing a team together though I’m not sure we’ve much of a hope having to recruit 7-10 new players every summer whilst we go through the games

davhibby
05-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Not sure I get your point. I'm saying no Scottish team is good enough to get through the qualifiers.

With a bit of luck in the draw we absolutely could qualify. This bogeyman attitude that fans have about Europe always baffles me.

Someone posted a while back that Motherwell’s run last season could’ve been Sligo, Viking and Steaua Bucharest. There’s no reason we couldn’t get through something like that.

JammyDoidger
05-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Players would pick Aberdeen over us for proper European football, the rounds Hibs play in isn't really Europe just qualifiers, Europe is the group stages for me and I can't remember Hibs ever playing in the group stages. Out of us, hearts and the sheep of course it would be they 2 that would get group stages over the last 2 years and not us. Im still sick tbh, as the sheep are rank. We constantly under achieve. I don't feel the buzz for it this time feels like we are in the intertoto, back door type stuff, but if we get a decent draw no doubt my feelings will change.

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 07:53 PM
Players would pick Aberdeen over us for proper European football, the rounds Hibs play in isn't really Europe just qualifiers, Europe is the group stages for me and I can't remember Hibs ever playing in the group stages. Out of us, hearts and the sheep of course it would be they 2 that would get group stages over the last 2 years and not us. Im still sick tbh, as the sheep are rank. We constantly under achieve. I don't feel the buzz for it this time feels like we are in the intertoto, back door type stuff, but if we get a decent draw no doubt my feelings will change.

Does next seasons Cup winner/3rd spot get Group stage as well or has our coefficient dropped for that.

Trinity Hibee
05-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Does next seasons Cup winner/3rd spot get Group stage as well or has our coefficient dropped for that.

Apparently they do. I’ve seen somewhere that for 24/25 season the number of clubs in the group stages increases which means that 4th next season should get 4 group games guaranteed.

MelbourneHibees
05-06-2023, 07:57 PM
Apparently they do. I’ve seen somewhere that for 24/25 season the number of clubs in the group stages increases which means that 4th next season should get 4 group games guaranteed.

That would be an incredible.

Pretty Boy
05-06-2023, 08:06 PM

I think we are ok for next year. It's the year after that is on a knife edge.

In theory we have our strongest hand in Europe this year though. It's pretty much inarguable that Scotland has it's 5 biggest teams in Europe at once which is a rarity. Hopefully that leads to a few wins and us doing our bit for the coefficient.

It's one of the reasons I always say I don't really mind Hearts and Aberdeen being good (if any of us were actually good last season). From a non partisan perspective us and them all being strong at once is good for the game here, just as long as Hibs are the strongest of the 3.

Trinity Hibee
05-06-2023, 08:14 PM
That would be an incredible.

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/0275-151c779310c3-b92bbf0d24f9-1000--uefa-approves-final-format-and-access-list-for-its-club-comp/

Smartie
05-06-2023, 08:21 PM
I’m massively keen on European football and it’s one of my biggest Hibs pet peeves that we’re never in a position to do it justice.

You can see what the huns have done off the back of decent European performances (£ wise) and the group stage stuff that 3rd place earns could be significant.

It would be fair to say that I have low expectations regarding Hibs being remotely ready for the challenge this season.

Trinity Hibee
05-06-2023, 08:22 PM
I’m massively keen on European football and it’s one of my biggest Hibs pet peeves that we’re never in a position to do it justice.

You can see what the huns have done off the back of decent European performances (£ wise) and the group stage stuff that 3rd place earns could be significant.

It would be fair to say that I have low expectations regarding Hibs being remotely ready for the challenge this season.

I’m not expecting 3rd next year either but I can’t see Aberdeen getting it again so really a battle between us and hearts. 2 points difference this season and if they appointment Naismith surely we can do better than them next season

JimBHibees
05-06-2023, 08:30 PM

How zero chance? Just need to win two ties isn't it. Will be up against it but certainly have a chance? Delighted we are in Europe.

Trinity Hibee
05-06-2023, 08:33 PM
How zero chance? Just need to win two ties isn't it. Will be up against it but certainly have a chance? Delighted we are in Europe.

We need to get through 3 ties. Hearts are 2 ties

CapitalGreen
05-06-2023, 08:51 PM
We’ve probably got more chance of reaching the group stages than winning a domestic trophy ahead of either of the old firm teams at present.

Brooster
05-06-2023, 09:09 PM
Is this a wind up? How can qualifying for Europe be shrugged off? The fans and the players want it, every team in the SPL wants it. Get real.

JamesHFC
06-06-2023, 12:06 AM
It's all about the financial benefit. More European games means more revenue to put towards wages and transfer fees, improving the calibre of player we can afford.

Edinburgh itself is already a massive attraction for players. The opportunity to play at stadiums like Celtic Park & Ibrox is actually a popular pull too. Being in European competition means we are one of the most competitive teams in the league which again will attract players.

The Spaceman
06-06-2023, 12:51 AM
It’s our main goal each season alongside winning a domestic trophy. I can’t wait to see us play in the qualifiers ✈️

JimBHibees
06-06-2023, 05:51 AM
We need to get through 3 ties. Hearts are 2 ties

Fair enough still have a chance of getting through.

JimBHibees
06-06-2023, 05:52 AM
Is this a wind up? How can qualifying for Europe be shrugged off? The fans and the players want it, every team in the SPL wants it. Get real.

Totally agree

lucky
06-06-2023, 08:10 AM
Surely qualifying and having a go at reaching the group stages is something every Hibs fan wants? Without hope, you are better off following City or Barca as there are no guarantees following Hibs. I personally can't wait for the draw.

MWHIBBIES
06-06-2023, 08:39 AM
Surely qualifying and having a go at reaching the group stages is something every Hibs fan wants? Without hope, you are better off following City or Barca as there are no guarantees following Hibs. I personally can't wait for the draw.

I guess so, although losing to the first decent side we play, which is the usual, would be *****. We need to be fully prepared for this and blow the first team we play away and go into the 2nd round on full blast.

If we'd just beat bottom of the league Dundee United twice, we'd have been 3rd. Thats what is frustrating. Aberdeen are dreadful, we pumped them 6-0 and they got 3rd.

Hermit Crab
06-06-2023, 10:36 AM
I guess so, although losing to the first decent side we play, which is the usual, would be *****. We need to be fully prepared for this and blow the first team we play away and go into the 2nd round on full blast.

If we'd just beat bottom of the league Dundee United twice, we'd have been 3rd. Thats what is frustrating. Aberdeen are dreadful, we pumped them 6-0 and they got 3rd.

They definitely downed tools under Goodwin, players should be ashamed of themselves, the same players that wet on to finish 3rd under Robson.

Anyway, Seeded for the 2nd qualifier so we should, with a bit of luck get drawn against a no hoper, the 3rd qualifier we will be unseeded so its pot luck but we could get a big hitter. The playoffs the big one. You could get a crack at a fairly big European team but at the same time you could get lucky and get an RFS or Kaunas. Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar made it into the Europa League group stages back in 2021/22 and they scudded that Riga in the play offs to get there so we have a good chance with a kind draw.

MWHIBBIES
06-06-2023, 11:46 AM
They definitely downed tools under Goodwin, players should be ashamed of themselves, the same players that wet on to finish 3rd under Robson.

Anyway, Seeded for the 2nd qualifier so we should, with a bit of luck get drawn against a no hoper, the 3rd qualifier we will be unseeded so its pot luck but we could get a big hitter. The playoffs the big one. You could get a crack at a fairly big European team but at the same time you could get lucky and get an RFS or Kaunas. Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar made it into the Europa League group stages back in 2021/22 and they scudded that Riga in the play offs to get there so we have a good chance with a kind draw.

Its largely about preparation. Too often are players not match fit, not up to speed with the squad, not even signed etc before our European games. Unacceptable if we do this again.

See Burnley are back for pre season already. Hibs should be doing everything possible to be properly prepared for these games.

Since452
06-06-2023, 12:01 PM
The Conference group stages are a realistic target IMO. Its not the Europa league which is a step too far for any of the non old firm Scottish clubs. This is achievable and a big chance for us.

allezsauzee
06-06-2023, 12:17 PM
It's worth qualifying for European competition just to get the bye through the dreadful group stage of the league cup. Finishing 4th and 5th is a bit like getting a lottery ticket for Europe but hopefully the fans at least get a couple of decent trips even if we don't qualify for the groups.

SickBoy32
06-06-2023, 12:21 PM
The Conference group stages are a realistic target IMO. Its not the Europa league which is a step too far for any of the non old firm Scottish clubs. This is achievable and a big chance for us.

Huge ask for this Hibs squad to navigate 3 ties - first tie will be against some total dross so easy enough

The round after will be pretty tough given we'll be unseeded, and some tricky sides in there

The play-off round - we have next to no chance IMO when you see some of the seeded sides, Juventus, Villa etc (there will obviously be 'easier' seeded sides at this stage but still will be way too strong for us I'd imagine)

If Aberdeen get a kind draw at the playoff round they could feasibly make it to the Europa group stages - Hearts really should've made it last year given they were up against a rank rotten Zurich side (bottom of their league when the tie was played) who they battered at Tynecastle and somehow managed to lose :greengrin

As others have said - really disappointing to have missed out on 3rd this season, especially given the record low points total required to get it

MelbourneHibees
06-06-2023, 12:22 PM
Ignore.

Hibs Class
06-06-2023, 12:29 PM
I'm less excited by it than when I was a youngster - back in those days there were the three knockout competitions, each of which felt like they were played on a fairly level playing field. Nowadays the coefficient is designed to keep the "top" countries at the head of the rankings table so that England, Italy, Germany, Spain get four CL group stages which immediately increases the likelihood of them maintaining their rankings at the expense of other countries' champions getting knocked out before the group stages. Seeding also makes it less likely the status quo re rankings will change. So whilst it's nice to qualify there's always a realisation that UEFA want to see the back of clubs like us as soon as possible so that the big countries can retain their lions' share of the prize

Lago
06-06-2023, 07:03 PM

Or is it just me?
No I'm the same.

McSwanky
06-06-2023, 09:57 PM
What a miserable bunch we can be sometimes

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Mango Man
06-06-2023, 10:09 PM

What is even more annoying, is the fact we came 3rd the season before Hearts did and we got the same prize we did for finishing 5th this season!! Hibs luck that.

Smartie
06-06-2023, 10:31 PM
What is even more annoying, is the fact we came 3rd the season before Hearts did and we got the same prize we did for finishing 5th this season!! Hibs luck that.

It is a bit annoying and it is a bit unlucky but given the relatively strong position we were in after finishing third and the absolute state of our last 2 summer transfer windows, it's hard to argue that we haven't got exactly what we deserved.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-06-2023, 05:08 AM
Didn’t realise The Cure were Hibs fans. Lighten up fella(s) suns oot!

HFC93
07-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Bohemians (Prague) would be a great trip.

Since452
07-06-2023, 08:10 AM
There needs to be a belief that we can qualify for the groups and not just be in it to hopefully get a glamour tie in a playoff. We need to be installing that mindset in the players now. There were some teams in the group stages that were no better than us. The club needs to gear itself up for these qualifiers and really go for it. It's a great opportunity and exciting time for the club and everyone connected to it.

GRA
07-06-2023, 01:07 PM
It’s our main goal each season alongside winning a domestic trophy. I can’t wait to see us play in the qualifiers ✈️

This is my view. Something to look forward to, add to our proud European history, no group stage League Cup, get the chance to visit somewhere unique in Europe. Depending on the draw we could get a glamour tie in the later rounds or, if the stars align, make it to the group stages!

We don't qualify for Europe every season so I don't understand how we can just discard it.

nickwhibs
07-06-2023, 01:14 PM
There needs to be a belief that we can qualify for the groups and not just be in it to hopefully get a glamour tie in a playoff. We need to be installing that mindset in the players now. There were some teams in the group stages that were no better than us. The club needs to gear itself up for these qualifiers and really go for it. It's a great opportunity and exciting time for the club and everyone connected to it.

Absolutely. We had a real go at it under Lennon and we were so unlucky to go out on penalties to Brondby. That’s what we need to be aiming for (even if we don’t have SJM this time!)

heretoday
07-06-2023, 07:36 PM
It's definitely an attraction for potential signings.
Hard to get excited about from a supporter point of view.

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2023, 07:38 PM
It's definitely an attraction for potential signings.
Hard to get excited about from a supporter point of view.

You cant get excited at a nice trip abroad to wtch Hibs? :confused:

LunasBoots
07-06-2023, 07:57 PM
For me Scottish teams outside the OF are just not equipped with squad depth to be dealing with European football on top of domestic football, injuries and tiredness show by Christmas and have negative impact on teams seasons.

JimBHibees
08-06-2023, 06:31 AM

What is the point being a fan if that doesn't excite? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2023, 08:23 AM
What is the point being a fan if that doesn't excite? :greengrin
:agree:

Hibernian Verse
08-06-2023, 08:39 AM
Huge ask for this Hibs squad to navigate 3 ties - first tie will be against some total dross so easy enough

That's not necessarily the case, we could get Progres who beat Rangers :wink:

Trinity Hibee
08-06-2023, 09:41 AM
For me Scottish teams outside the OF are just not equipped with squad depth to be dealing with European football on top of domestic football, injuries and tiredness show by Christmas and have negative impact on teams seasons.

To be fair I don’t think it’s just Scottish teams but yes generally our teams just don’t have the quality to compete in Europe sadly. When you hear of the TV deals that Dutch and Norwegian leagues get it completely dwarfs our prize money which probably explains a lot of it.

Often the first game of the season is a euro qualifier which doesn’t help either. Squads are not settled by that point

basehibby
08-06-2023, 09:50 AM
Europe is exciting assuming the team that got us there is not dismantled but is built upon and improved.
On many occasions though we've gone into Euro ties with a skeleton squad stripped of its best players - making it only fit to watch through the cracks between your fingers whenever we encounter a team that's half decent.

Hibernian Verse
08-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Europe is exciting assuming the team that got us there is not dismantled but is built upon and improved.
On many occasions though we've gone into Euro ties with a skeleton squad stripped of its best players - making it only fit to watch through the cracks between your fingers whenever we encounter a team that's half decent.

Like losing CJ, Fish & Nisbet...

Keith_M
08-06-2023, 11:18 AM
TBF, I can kind of see the point the OP is making.

While it's good that we did qualify for Europe, being in the early qualifying rounds and playing against some tiny team from San Marino or Malta just doesn't have quite the same level of glamour as playing in the UEFA Cup against Anderlecht, AEK Athens or Videoton.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2023, 11:26 AM
Bohemians (Prague) would be a great trip.

I vaguely remember going to an 1100 Sunday morning kick off game there 🍺🥴🤮

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2023, 11:27 AM

And perhaps getting an opportunity to improve your art collection. 😉

where'stheslope
08-06-2023, 02:22 PM
Europe is a massive pull and money "cash cow", seen on Facebook Scottish Clubs monies from last season.
We took in £2,038,000, Hertz took in over £6 million, so if the figures are correct, Europe is the place to make money and take the club up a few notches!!!
Obviously the Old Firm were way out in front with £20 million for the Huns and £30 million for the Celts, and neither won a game in their groups???

HIBS NUTS
08-06-2023, 03:27 PM

Yeh i’m going to miss playing in the league cup group, and being knocked out by morton on penalties.
Rather than a piss up, in latvia or similar.
Jesus 🙄

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2023, 03:48 PM

Aye more *****y than banksy. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
08-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Depending on where we go, I might drive.

Kazakhstan might be a bit of a stretch, though.

Lancs Harp
08-06-2023, 05:40 PM

I'll navigate and bring some crisps.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2023, 08:16 PM

People seem to be conflating success on the pitch with success off it, fans are just looking for a jolly or two without thinking we might win this.

HFC93
08-06-2023, 09:47 PM
I vaguely remember going to an 1100 Sunday morning kick off game there 🍺🥴🤮

I also attended a Bohemians game incredibly hungover haha. Great wee stadium.

EGL2000
08-06-2023, 11:04 PM

Make that 3, great set of fans aswell!

Bristolhibby
09-06-2023, 01:21 AM
Yeh i’m going to miss playing in the league cup group, and being knocked out by morton on penalties.
Rather than a piss up, in latvia or similar.
Jesus 🙄

Haha!

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2023, 09:54 AM

It was meant to be their last game in that stadium, 10 years later and they're still playing their games there. 🙂

Hibbyradge
09-06-2023, 10:48 AM
I'll navigate and bring some crisps.

Add in petrol money (electricity) and you've got a deal.

Keith_M
09-06-2023, 11:20 AM

Guy from my work lives in Shymkent (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shymkent,+Kazakhstan/@42.3418204,69.5898056,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x38a8f256546681bb:0xa167b 582e75b369b!8m2!3d42.3416847!4d69.590101!16zL20vMD c1ZGg5?entry=ttu). I'll see if I can get you his phone number for an overnight stay.

NAE NOOKIE
09-06-2023, 10:42 PM
Europe is Europe, what's not to like about it FFS. OK it's not like the old days when it meant possible games against some of the giants of the continent, but it's a chance to see clubs you never get to see and visit places you might never think of going to, if you are lucky enough to have the time and wherewithal to do so.

As for the Europa conference league being a diddy cup .... tell that to West Ham, one of the biggest clubs from the richest league in the world who absolutely dwarf the likes of us in every measurable sense, financially, size of stadium, size of support etc, and yet they celebrated winning the thing as if it was the biggest day in their history. If it's good enough for them it's sure as hell good enough for us.

No we can't win it, but with a bit of luck and a favourable draw we could make the group stages, which would be the first time in the club's history we have managed such a feat.

lucky
10-06-2023, 12:15 PM
We spend a whole season supporting the team hoping that they finish is high up the league as possible, finishing 5th gives us a “prize” of European football. It's now down to the manager and players to navigate the qualifying rounds the best they can. As has been pointed out group stages is a cash cow and it's something we need to pursue. Finishing 3rd is Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen aim as it's a jackpot of money.

makaveli1875
10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Don't mind Europe , it's a change of scenery . Asteras and Molde were good games . More of that would be good

MelbourneHibees
12-06-2023, 09:55 AM
Do we know our list of opponents yet?

Hibbyradge
12-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Do we know our list of opponents yet?

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?362500-Possible-Euro-Opponents