PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Mackay

Donegal Hibby
03-06-2023, 06:46 PM
He had a great game in the semi final and came on today and scored in the final ,looked good when he came on too. With Mcgeady away should we maybe give this lad a chance next season ?.

Diclonius
03-06-2023, 06:47 PM
I have a feeling that no

Heisenberg
03-06-2023, 06:48 PM
Can’t be worse than Jair.

JohnM1875
03-06-2023, 06:49 PM
Said it on another thread that MacKay's competition is probably our best two players, Boyle and Youan. Good option from the bench though.

bingo70
03-06-2023, 06:50 PM
He had a great game in the semi final and came on today and scored in the final ,looked good when he came on too. With Mcgeady away should we maybe give this lad a chance next season ?.

Any idea why he never started today?

I don’t want to write the guy off but if he can’t get a game for a team that finished 5th in the championship, I’m not sure if he would be good enough for us?

KWJ
03-06-2023, 06:56 PM
Can’t be worse than Jair.

🙄

JohnM1875
03-06-2023, 06:59 PM
🙄

He's not wrong though to be fair.

Northernhibee
03-06-2023, 07:00 PM
🙄
There’s probably a truth to that though. Jair is nowhere near first team standard just now so swap his place in the team with Mackay, put Jair out on loan to see if he can develop, and go from there.

Donegal Hibby
03-06-2023, 07:06 PM

I don’t want to write the guy off but if he can’t get a game for a team that finished 5th in the championship, I’m not sure if he would be good enough for us?
Don't really know why he never started today when he had such a good game in the semi maybe because he's a attacking player and Dodds was trying to keep things tight by playing a more defensive player . Just guessing there though.

When I said giving him a chance it would be more coming of the bench . Haven't seen that much of him tbh though thought he's looked good the few times I've seen him though.

chippy
03-06-2023, 07:09 PM
Said it on another thread that MacKay's competition is probably our best two players, Boyle and Youan. Good option from the bench though.
Scored playing as a central striker

hibee-boys
03-06-2023, 07:12 PM
With Cadden being out for this year would Mackay provide some decent coverage for Boyle🤔 I’ve not seen enough of him to be sure.

Heisenberg
03-06-2023, 07:27 PM
🙄

I’m not sure what the issue is? Jair looks out of his depth.

EskbankHibby
03-06-2023, 07:52 PM

Started the semi.

Maybe a more defensive starting line up v Celtic as opposed to Falkirk? Looks tactical

Dmas
03-06-2023, 08:10 PM
I think he was a late call up to the bench due to an injury late on sure I heard that on the radio before kick off

Bostonhibby
03-06-2023, 08:17 PM
I'm wondering if the reason why we signed him in the first place isn't the reason why he is worth bringing back for a bit?

Showed potential, paid money for him, pushed on and is still showing potential, at least measured against what we currently have?

Surely worth a run of games.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
03-06-2023, 08:19 PM
Canny get his game for a mid table championship side but folk are scrambling to get him back lol

Allant1981
03-06-2023, 08:24 PM
Canny get his game for a mid table championship side but folk are scrambling to get him back lol

According to transfer market he has played over 30 games for them this season

Frazerbob
03-06-2023, 08:27 PM

So missed 1/4 of the season. How many starts? Not even on the bench initially today apparently. If we signed him next week, Ian Gordon would be slaughtered all over again.

Bostonhibby
03-06-2023, 08:29 PM
According to transfer market he has played over 30 games for them this seasonBut apart from those 30 plus games he cannae get a game.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
03-06-2023, 08:35 PM
So missed 1/4 of the season. How many starts? Not even on the bench initially today apparently. If we signed him next week, Ian Gordon would be slaughtered all over again.

Played 29 out of 36 games for them in the league. Injured for a few

Whilst I’m no convinced he’ll come back and be a player, don’t think it’s right to say he can’t get a game for them.

badabing67
03-06-2023, 08:35 PM

Think it was the way Dodds set the team up, tried to contain Celtic for as long as possible then have a go later on in the game

B.H.F.C
03-06-2023, 08:36 PM

39 on transfer market that I’m looking at.

Stubbsy90+2
03-06-2023, 08:39 PM
Id be very surprised if he’s here next season.

If he is though then id swap that surprise for concern.

Frazerbob
03-06-2023, 08:40 PM
Played 29 out of 36 games for them in the league. Injured for a few

Whilst I’m no convinced he’ll come back and be a player, don’t think it’s right to say he can’t get a game for them.

Fair enough. Just find it funny that some folk are clambering for his return.

bingo70
03-06-2023, 08:43 PM
Think it was the way Dodds set the team up, tried to contain Celtic for as long as possible then have a go later on in the game

He played their main goal threat, Billy McKay, on the left wing, if DM was going to be good enough for us next season, he should have been their star man today and not playing someone out of position in his place.

I’m pleased for the guy that he scored today but I’d be amazed if he was our player next season.

147lothian
03-06-2023, 08:49 PM

Not just with McGeady away, with Cadden possibly out for the season and Boyle returning from injury might take a bit of time to return to match sharpness, a player who has spent a season out on loan, by all accounts played a blinder in the semi, I put him not starting in the final down to Dodds wanting to set up a defensive formation against Celtic, given that he still is only 22 I think he could step up and do a job for us.

B.H.F.C
03-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Not just with McGeady away, with Cadden possibly out for the season and Boyle returning from injury might take a bit of time to return to match sharpness, a player who has spent a season out on loan, by all accounts played a blinder in the semi, I put him not starting in the final down to Dodds wanting to set up a defensive formation against Celtic, given that he still is only 22 I think he could step up and do a job for us.

Don’t think I’d read too much in to him doing well in the semi against a league one side. Good header today but not sure he’s done enough over the season to come back and improve us. One of many expensive, poor signings. But would be good if he changed that opinion.

Donegal Hibby
03-06-2023, 09:47 PM

I actually thought him not starting was down to Dodds being more defensive in his tactics as well which was unlucky on Mackay as he did indeed play a blinder in the semi . He came on today and looked good and had a impact on the game which is something that our bench hasn't done towards the end of the season .

As you say with Mcgeady away , Cadden out and Boyle who could need a bit of time getting up to speed , Mackay could give us a decent cover for a few positions from the bench if needed. Would like to see him get chance tbh .

HFC93
03-06-2023, 09:55 PM

Played 80% of ICT games this season but can't get a game for them. The sort of quality analysis I view hibs.net for.

O'Rourke3
03-06-2023, 09:55 PM
Is it just me or us it weird we have posters not bothered about trying someone who ran a cup semi final, a task which we regularly fail, then who scores in the final. It's not like it was a tap in?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-06-2023, 10:03 PM
Is it just me or us it weird we have posters not bothered about trying someone who ran a cup semi final, a task which we regularly fail, then who scores in the final. It's not like it was a tap in?

You've got to provide some context. He played a league 1 side in the semi final. When did Hibs last fail vs a league 1 side in a semi final?

Unseen work
03-06-2023, 10:08 PM
I said last year that he was a mistake not to take him and Tait away with us for pre season.

Johnson wouldn’t have seen them, no DoF in place so god knows who made that decision.

I doubt him and tait would have done any worse than others. Although that’s not the point, we need significantly better in some areas.

But let’s give the lads a chance and if we don’t, just move them and let them continue their careers elsewhere

badabing67
03-06-2023, 10:34 PM

Yeah he was one for the future, who could now be ready. When I seen him play against Rijeka at ER I thought he looked alright, apart from the sitter he missed at the end of the game.

1875Sean
04-06-2023, 12:24 AM

Can’t get in the starting lineup,
What makes you think he should get a chance with us?

500miles
04-06-2023, 01:09 AM

Sproule wasn't starting every week at Institute as far as I'm aware.

Musselbound
04-06-2023, 03:50 AM
I actually thought him not starting was down to Dodds being more defensive in his tactics as well which was unlucky on Mackay as he did indeed play a blinder in the semi . He came on today and looked good and had a impact on the game which is something that our bench hasn't done towards the end of the season .

As you say with Mcgeady away , Cadden out and Boyle who could need a bit of time getting up to speed , Mackay could give us a decent cover for a few positions from the bench if needed. Would like to see him get chance tbh .

I thought he would have been away but fact he has made an impact in these big games (semi and final) makes me wonder if he could do the same for us. It's not about him improving our starting XI. Could he make more of an impact off the bench than what we've currently got? Worth bringing back to have another look at him.

neil7908
04-06-2023, 04:10 AM
I'll trust the manager and coaching team on this one. He seems like a better option than a couple of the guys on the bench in recent weeks but LJ and the club will have been keeping tabs on him and know if he's ready for the SPL.

Trinity Hibee
04-06-2023, 06:56 AM
Have been quite impressed with mackay in both the semi and the final. Seems to have some intelligence around the runs he makes and is a positive player. Peeled off his marker well and finished brilliantly yesterday.

CapitalGreen
04-06-2023, 07:36 AM

At 23 years old Martin Boyle couldn’t get off the bench in the Scottish Cup final when we desperately needed a goal.

The Modfather
04-06-2023, 08:20 AM
Move him on. Might have a place as a low wage squad filler short term but at 22 and yet to make any impact he’s unlikely to ever be anything more than a squad filler.

We’ve a whole squad of “could come good, in theory”. Long since time to get ruthless IMO.

Did we pay a fee for him?

O'Rourke3
04-06-2023, 08:24 AM
You've got to provide some context. He played a league 1 side in the semi final. When did Hibs last fail vs a league 1 side in a semi final?Context? How about a Scottish Cup Semi Final and a Scottish Cup final. How much context do you need. Yeah, there's no pressure there is there?

Brightside
04-06-2023, 08:28 AM
He’s clearly better than Jair or mckirdy but we will probably move him on. He will have options. The other 2 prob don’t.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2023, 08:33 AM
We all knew MacKay could play a bit at Championship level prior to this season, that's why we signed him in the 1st place.

He needed games so loaning him made sense but have we really learned anything new? He's still a guy that can play a bit at Championship level and he had a good performance v a League One side in a semi final and a decent cameo in a final.

In the fleeting time I saw him at Hibs he looked a fair bit short. He may well have kicked on but he'll have to have improved markedly to be troubling our starting 11 if we are building a squad for 3rd next season.

Steven79
Move him on. Might have a place as a low wage squad filler short term but at 22 and yet to make any impact he’s unlikely to ever be anything more than a squad filler.

We’ve a whole squad of “could come good, in theory”. Long since time to get ruthless IMO.

Did we pay a fee for him?I'm sure he cost around £100,000.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
Context? How about a Scottish Cup Semi Final and a Scottish Cup final. How much context do you need. Yeah, there's no pressure there is there?

Against a league 1 side in the semi final, though. A dreadful standard of opposition. McKirdy would get 25 goals in Scottish league 1.

Are you suggesting Dan McKay is some kind of big game player that we desperately need to get over our many Hampden failures?

CapitalGreen
04-06-2023, 08:48 AM
Dan MacKay, ICT at age 21-22, goal/assist every 194 mins

Comparison with current Premiership Scottish wingers.

Martin Boyle, Hibs at age 22-23, goal/assist every 203 mins

Blair Spittal, Partick at age 22-23, goal/assist every 230 mins

Dan Armstrong, Raith Rovers at age 22-23, goal/assist every 258 mins

Alan Forrest, Ayr at age 22-23, goal/assist every 281 mins

Eyrie
04-06-2023, 09:45 AM
I think most of us recognise that several new signings are required for the first team so having Mackay as a cheaper option on the bench behind Boyle and Youann is a reasonable idea to keep funds free for other needs. Johnson and McDermott will be able to study his contribution at Inverness to decide if he can fill that role.

Since452
04-06-2023, 10:07 AM
We're good at making excuses for players who really aren't good enough and wonder why we usually aren't good enough. He's still young, he needs a run of games, he's adjusting to the league etc, etc, etc. He's an Inveness level player and should be moved on along with McKirdy and others who have made zero impact.

04-06-2023, 10:07 AM
Against a league 1 side in the semi final, though. A dreadful standard of opposition. McKirdy would get 25 goals in Scottish league 1.

Are you suggesting Dan McKay is some kind of big game player that we desperately need to get over our many Hampden failures?

The poster you quoted mentioned the semi final and the final. I like how you only reference the semi final and the standard of opponent but you completely overlook the final.

I don't see anybody "suggesting Dan McKay is some kind of big game player that we desperately need to get over our many Hampden failures", more that we maybe shouldn't be writing him off just yet.

Mick O'Rourke
04-06-2023, 10:25 AM
I think most of us recognise that several new signings are required for the first team so having Mackay as a cheaper option on the bench behind Boyle and Youann is a reasonable idea to keep funds free for other needs. Johnson and McDermott will be able to study his contribution at Inverness to decide if he can fill that role.:agree:

Had Dan's brilliant run and headed goal been the winner yesterday,this thread may well have been full of "bring him home" posts:greengrin

1875Sean
04-06-2023, 10:37 AM
At 23 years old Martin Boyle couldn’t get off the bench in the Scottish Cup final when we desperately needed a goal.

Not ever player improves at the rate Boyle did for us, if you are thinking that I think you will be disappointed, championship player for me

easty
04-06-2023, 10:41 AM
Not ever player improves at the rate Boyle did for us, if you are thinking that I think you will be disappointed, championship player for me

Probably, but I hope we at least have a look at him preseason and decide.

CapitalGreen
04-06-2023, 10:57 AM

I’ve not suggested they do but most players continue to improve from the age of 21 onwards. MacKay has just had a season in which he outperformed what the leading Scottish wingers in the Premiership did at a similar age. Boyle was 24 before he had as productive a season in the Championship as MacKay has just had.

There seems to a common misconception that if players aren’t established Premiership players by 21/22 then they’ll never be good enough for our level. The reality is that many of top performing Scottish players in the Premiership spent their early 20’s serving their apprenticeships in the lower leagues.

Stokesy's on fire
04-06-2023, 11:04 AM
The lad looks to be in good shape and done well in the semi final and the scottish cup final i think he at least deserves the first half of the season as part of the squad. If he impressed enough in training then maybe he can make it at Hibs.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2023, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure Hibs work in such a way that they give guys pre season, until January or whatever to prove their worth.

Whilst we may not have formal loan managers in the way clubs like Man City and Chelsea do we will have someone overseeing them and tracking the progress of those out on loan.

I'll wager Hibs will be very aware of what MacKay has and hasn't done during his loan spell and a decision will already have been made on his future at Hibs. We're not going to be making a decision based on 60 minutes v Dunbar in a few weeks time.

J-C
04-06-2023, 11:15 AM
Josh Campbell last season aged 22 nearly everyone on here saying, not good enough, get rid etc, this season wins young player of the year and best goal. Mackay is 22 and has had a pretty decent season on loan, ffs lets maybe give some of these younger guys a chance, if he doesn't make it then fair enough but at least give him an opportunity to at least try.

J-C
04-06-2023, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure Hibs work in such a way that they give guys pre season, until January or whatever to prove their worth.

Whilst we may not have formal loan managers in the way clubs like Man City and Chelsea do we will have someone overseeing them and tracking the progress of those out on loan.

I'll wager Hibs will be very aware of what MacKay has and hasn't done during his loan spell and a decision will already have been made on his future at Hibs. We're not going to be making a decision based on 60 minutes v Dunbar in a few weeks time.

I think Eddie May is our loans manager.

Donegal Hibby
04-06-2023, 11:19 AM
We're good at making excuses for players who really aren't good enough and wonder why we usually aren't good enough. He's still young, he needs a run of games, he's adjusting to the league etc, etc, etc. He's an Inveness level player and should be moved on along with McKirdy and others who have made zero impact.

Probably because these things are actually true though young players do need a run of games ( a loan being the best option) , most players joining a new league need time to adjust ( Youan a prime example).

I'm sure there will be players moving on that's not made a impact at us though I don't Mackay has had the same opportunity has some of the others have had like Tavares. I'd loan Tavares out and take Mackay back and give him a chance .

In our last few games I felt the substitutes coming on were having little or no impact on our games and our bench was weak . Yesterday Mackay came on and had a impact in scoring a good goal against the best team in Scotland . Which got me wondering could he be a better substitute option than we already have ? .

I think our budget is going to be stretched this summer in what we need for the first team and if we think a Mackay, Delferrere , Laidlaw or McIntyre can contribute coming on as subs then why not ! . I don't think the bench would be any weaker for it tbh .

The Modfather
04-06-2023, 11:23 AM
Josh Campbell last season aged 22 nearly everyone on here saying, not good enough, get rid etc, this season wins young player of the year and best goal. Mackay is 22 and has had a pretty decent season on loan, ffs lets maybe give some of these younger guys a chance, if he doesn't make it then fair enough but at least give him an opportunity to at least try.

The problem is, how many of them do we give more time to and give a chance to? Henderson, Melkerson, Tavares, Tait, Delfierre, Hague & Mackay. Individually there’s probably a case to be made for all that they need more time. The harsh reality is nearly all cost a fee, we’ve had very little in return with no sign that will change in the short-mid term. We might get 1 or 2 wrong where they go on to be solid players but I would actively try to move any/all of them on.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2023, 11:27 AM
The problem is, how many of them do we give more time to and give a chance to? Henderson, Melkerson, Tavares, Tait, Delfierre, Hague & Mackay. Individually there’s probably a case to be made for all that they need more time. The harsh reality is nearly all cost a fee, we’ve had very little in return with no sign that will change in the short-mid term. We might get 1 or 2 wrong where they go on to be solid players but I would actively try to move any/all of them on.

Hibs rarely get it wrong when we let players go either, the mistake is usually signing a lot of them in the 1st place.

I can't think of many we have moved on through choice who have went on to great things elsewhere. David Wotherspoon maybe? Clayton Donaldson? For every one of them there is about a dozen we have got spot on.

J-C
04-06-2023, 12:14 PM

Henderson has been a huge disappointment but after his 2 poor loan spells when at Celtic, a red flag should've been spotted there. Tavares has been here all season and hasn't improved. Tait has been on loan but suffered an injury and hampered his season. Melkersen was tossed into a poor struggling team when a loan to the Championship would've helped him and Delferriere was doing well at FC Edinburgh bot we cancelled our connection with them and he had to come back, he's been a standout for the development team all season and did ok when he cam on the against Hearts.

We need to have a strong starting 11 and use these youngsters as back up squad players, we're not wealthy enough to have 17-19 1st team players, a good starting 11 with maybe 4-5 pretty decent squad players and 5-6 youngsters is what our squad should look like.

MWHIBBIES
04-06-2023, 12:27 PM
The poster you quoted mentioned the semi final and the final. I like how you only reference the semi final and the standard of opponent but you completely overlook the final.

I don't see anybody "suggesting Dan McKay is some kind of big game player that we desperately need to get over our many Hampden failures", more that we maybe shouldn't be writing him off just yet.

I'm totally for giving him a chance and time. I certainly haven't written him off.

A performance against Falkirk though, is about the 15th reason to give him a chance. We play against much better sides than them, SC semi or not.

Him scoring against Celtic is more impressive, no doubt about that.

04-06-2023, 12:49 PM
I'm totally for giving him a chance and time. I certainly haven't written him off.

A performance against Falkirk though, is about the 15th reason to give him a chance. We play against much better sides than them, SC semi or not.

Him scoring against Celtic is more impressive, no doubt about that.

That'll be the Falkirk that beat us in the League Cup.

Agree, I'd like us to give him a chance and time though I'll back whatever decision the coaching staff make.

MWHIBBIES
04-06-2023, 02:34 PM
That'll be the Falkirk that beat us in the League Cup.

Agree, I'd like us to give him a chance and time though I'll back whatever decision the coaching staff make.

That would be Falkirk who lost 6-2 to Airdrie. Long time since they beat us. We'd hammer them now.

LunasBoots
04-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Deserves a shot to see if he can kick on at Hibs where past youngsters have failed, looks pretty well built for the Premiership so all foe him given the chance

147lothian
05-06-2023, 06:26 AM

:top marksMy thoughts exactly.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2023, 06:28 AM
Give him a chance Why not ? Could be the new Arthur Duncan

Nothing to lose

If he can score against Celtic in a national Cup Final got to be worth a punt

O'Rourke3
05-06-2023, 01:30 PM

Are you suggesting Dan McKay is some kind of big game player that we desperately need to get over our many Hampden failures?Right, so ignoring the context to focus on the opposition. You assumption is the opposition can't raise their game and compete? A near empty Hampden is different from one rammed with Celtic supporters. How would you have done with that cross?

Far from lauding him as the next Suazee, I'd suggest he's got the right temperament to handle his support claiming he's probably pony because of where he's played the majority of his football. He might not be the answer but must have now done enough for us to see how he's got on and improved at ICT

I don't think many supporters realise we really don't have a big money pot. The standard of player we currently have is what we can afford. I don't believe we have the funds to get rid of those under contract either. So we have to make better use of existing resource.

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2023, 01:48 PM
Right, so ignoring the context to focus on the opposition. You assumption is the opposition can't raise their game and compete? A near empty Hampden is different from one rammed with Celtic supporters. How would you have done with that cross?

Far from lauding him as the next Suazee, I'd suggest he's got the right temperament to handle his support claiming he's probably pony because of where he's played the majority of his football. He might not be the answer but must have now done enough for us to see how he's got on and improved at ICT

I don't think many supporters realise we really don't have a big money pot. The standard of player we currently have is what we can afford. I don't believe we have the funds to get rid of those under contract either. So we have to make better use of existing resource.

I'm all for giving him a chance, I've said that.

The problem is, we waste what we do have. Its just nonsense to say the likes of Tavares, Marshall, Cabraja, McKirdy etc have been the best we could've possibly got, as we're signing guys like Fish, Egan Riley and Youan in other positions.

basehibby
05-06-2023, 01:55 PM
By the sound of it MacKay has got to the stage where he deserves a shot at 1st team and see if he can make an impact.
The idea of putting players out on loan is to give them a chance to play regularly and develop. 39 appearances for ICT finishing with a top performance in a semi and a goal vs the champs in the SC Final is ticking all the right boxes for me.

SickBoy32
05-06-2023, 01:59 PM
No doubt in my mind Dan Mackay deserves a chance this season

A clear improvement out wide compared to Tavares and McKirdy imo

147lothian
05-06-2023, 02:43 PM
Dan MacKay, needed to be sent out on loan to gain match experience, over the season has 30 appearances for ICT in his final game he scores at Hampden in the Scottish cup final against the champions, do we need a winger for the start of the season? Cadden looks like he could be out for the season and when Boyle returns it will probably take a bit of time before he returns to full match sharpness. Even if we did have all our wingers fit which we don't, still might have been a decent option to bring on from the bench, given him a chance seems like a no brainer to me.

Ronniekirk
05-06-2023, 02:55 PM
He will defo get game time in pre season games imo it’s up to him to show L J what he has to offer Looks to have added strength to his game and needs more consistency But assume he would be above Tait and Tavares in pecking order Could even e ahead of Merkelson given he has hardly had any game time

ChuckNor
05-06-2023, 03:44 PM
I find it crazy people are writing this lad off. By all accounts he has played well for Inverness all season and has been a regular starter. He has contributed with both goals and assists. While he never started the SC final for ICT, the team was blatantly set up differently for a more defensive performance against Celtic.

I am all for giving him a chance. I see no reason why he wouldn't be better than the likes of Elias Melkersen, Jair Tavares or even Harry McKirdy, who have offered us absolutely nothing since arriving.

chippy
05-06-2023, 07:08 PM
I find it crazy people are writing this lad off. By all accounts he has played well for Inverness all season and has been a regular starter. He has contributed with both goals and assists. While he never started the SC final for ICT, the team was blatantly set up differently for a more defensive performance against Celtic.

I am all for giving him a chance. I see no reason why he wouldn't be better than the likes of Elias Melkersen, Jair Tavares or even Harry McKirdy, who have offered us absolutely nothing since arriving.
Agreed

Unseen work
05-06-2023, 08:10 PM

I really like how a couple of his goals this season have been getting on the end of crosses and heading them in, pretty rare a winger offers that threat and is a big reason why the Celtic wingers get so many - getting in the box when it’s on the opposite side and givin them a chance.

If he had played the same amount of minutes as McKirdy for example, I think he would have at least got one goal or assist which is more than he managed.

I actually thought he looked decent at the start of last season when he played for us, albeit a bit raw. I think the miss in Europe almost wrote him off in some peoples books despite him doing the good work iirc.

easty
05-06-2023, 08:27 PM
I really like how a couple of his goals this season have been getting on the end of crosses and heading them in, pretty rare a winger offers that threat and is a big reason why the Celtic wingers get so many - getting in the box when it’s on the opposite side and givin them a chance.

If he had played the same amount of minutes as McKirdy for example, I think he would have at least got one goal or assist which is more than he managed.

I actually thought he looked decent at the start of last season when he played for us, albeit a bit raw. I think the miss in Europe almost wrote him off in some peoples books despite him doing the good work iirc.

I thought he looked absolutely miles off being good enough at the start of last season, but not as miles off it as Taveres.

Hibee Mac
05-06-2023, 08:50 PM

I remember him having a couple of pretty good chances when he played early last season but his finishing let him down. I appreciate it's only a couple of games so nowhere near enough to draw a proper conclusion but my instinct reaction was he has talent, good off the ball, not so great on the ball and not the best finisher in 1v1s.

All that being said, I'd like him to be included pre-season and see if he's got it in him to step up. He's undoubtedly better than McKirdy in my eyes so why not as an option off the bench?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

ChuckNor
05-06-2023, 08:54 PM
Agree with a few of the posts here about the chance he missed against Rijeka. Sadly, the likes of Tam McManus wrote him off on Hibs TV and sadly it seemed to effect the perception many had of him as a player. The miss wasn’t even that bad, it was great work from the keeper to close the angle.

Really hope he gets a chance. Have a feeling he will come good.

ErinGoBraghHFC
05-06-2023, 09:00 PM
Actually thought he look alright at us from what I saw, pretty raw but clearly talented. Sure he’ll come good for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
05-06-2023, 09:34 PM
I liked his credentials before joining us but didn’t think that much of him early that 1st season.

It was a step up though and I’d have been tempted to keep him around, training with the 1st team and getting the odd glimpse of action. That’s not dissimilar to what I thought of Lewis Miller at the start of this season.

Not sure what he’s proven by going back to play at a level he’s previously proven he can succeed at but that’s not all that unusual for Hibs in recent years.

I’d have no problem with him coming back and getting a clean slate. Tbh I’d maybe even be dangling a wee carrot by pointing out that we’ve got early season European games and we could do with having as many players as possible fit, sharp and ready to contribute. He might steal a march on a few of our other options.

JimBHibees
06-06-2023, 06:02 AM
I liked his credentials before joining us but didn’t think that much of him early that 1st season.

It was a step up though and I’d have been tempted to keep him around, training with the 1st team and getting the odd glimpse of action. That’s not dissimilar to what I thought of Lewis Miller at the start of this season.

Not sure what he’s proven by going back to play at a level he’s previously proven he can succeed at but that’s not all that unusual for Hibs in recent years.

I’d have no problem with him coming back and getting a clean slate. Tbh I’d maybe even be dangling a wee carrot by pointing out that we’ve got early season European games and we could do with having as many players as possible fit, sharp and ready to contribute. He might steal a march on a few of our other options.

Kind of agree. Thought the little I seen of him Coloma game he looked a bit off however looks physically ready and no doubt can improve and develop.

hibsforeurope
06-06-2023, 08:59 AM
After listening to the Longbangers season review pod a comment from Colin made so much sense and can be applied to all out out on loan players.

If they weren't already our players would we be rushing out to sign them to improve our squad?

Not sure many, if any, of the players we sent out on loan fall in to this category, we certainly shouldn't be using Taveres and McKirdy as the barometer as to whether a player deserves a chance or not. We should be using Boyle and Youan as the standard we need players to reach, if we don't want to see a repeat of the drop off in the 2nd half of the derby again.

BSEJVT
06-06-2023, 09:11 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with Mackay in his brief cameo's at the start of the season before last, but he does have something that the likes of Tavares and Bojang didn't and that is proven pedigree in the Scottish Leagues.

if he doesn't deserve an opportunity akin to that presented to McKirdy then we are wasting our time signing players that are not proven ready first team players.

Joe6-2
06-06-2023, 11:12 AM

Agree totally, we send young players out on loan to gain experience, as is the way it’s usually to a lower league, we can’t then complain they are doing well but it’s a lesser level so can’t step up!