PDA

View Full Version : Is 3 games in 6 days towards the end of the season too much ?

Donegal Hibby
29-05-2023, 11:34 AM
David marshall has raised concerns over schedule and said it needs looked at . He says it's difficult playing the most important 3 games in 6 days . Taking into account we had 3 players injured as well is this something that should be looked at and maybe changed ?

cabbageandribs1875
29-05-2023, 11:36 AM
soon as the fixture dates came out i thought it was ridiculous playing three huge games in just six days

Callum_62
29-05-2023, 11:36 AM
David marshall has raised concerns over schedule and said it needs looked at . He says it's difficult playing the most important 3 games in 6 days . Taking into account we had 3 players injured as well is this something that should be looked at and maybe changed ?

Its farcical to cram in 3 days in 6 days at the seasons end - no need for it at all

Even our playoff is a joke for that - look at the reasonable break the Championship in England get before the final - we are basically going all to exhaust the championship side

Smartie
29-05-2023, 11:39 AM
Absolutely not.

Piss poor excuse.

A wise man once told me "to say something before the event is a reason, to mention it after is an excuse".

We're not going to learn or improve if we're going to blame our shortcomings on everyone up to the fixture scheduler rather than those who are directly culpable, such as our substandard goalkeeper or those who were responsible for us having a bench full of players who were basically unfit for purpose for the whole season, not just those who were a bit tired during the last 6 days of it.

Nae sympathy from me whatsoever.

Next season - we're going to have a gruelling schedule over Christmas. Weather permitting and depending on good cup runs / making the top 6 we'll have other pinch points during the season that puts pressure on our squad, therefore we need a strong enough squad to deal with it. If we fail to put one together, that's nobody's fault but our own.

gbhibby
29-05-2023, 12:00 PM
No there is enough sports science to aid players recovery after a game. If you are winning you want games to come around quickly. Players fitness levels should be of a standard cope with this.

Callum_62
29-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Absolutely not.

Piss poor excuse.

A wise man once told me "to say something before the event is a reason, to mention it after is an excuse".

We're not going to learn or improve if we're going to blame our shortcomings on everyone up to the fixture scheduler rather than those who are directly culpable, such as our substandard goalkeeper or those who were responsible for us having a bench full of players who were basically unfit for purpose for the whole season, not just those who were a bit tired during the last 6 days of it.

Nae sympathy from me whatsoever.

Next season - we're going to have a gruelling schedule over Christmas. Weather permitting and depending on good cup runs / making the top 6 we'll have other pinch points during the season that puts pressure on our squad, therefore we need a strong enough squad to deal with it. If we fail to put one together, that's nobody's fault but our own.

I dont see anyone blaming the schedule but id imagine most folk would be opened minded enough to release 3 (possibly) high stakes games in 6 days at both of of the table is not the best way to schedule, nor promote the event

Both in terms of players being at there peak and just a general sensibility over the nature of these games

Scheduling over 50% of the post split games in less than a week seems absurd to me (and Hibs done pretty well in them this year)

The great game to watch down South is the the playoff final in England, my question there would be why not played 2/3 days after the semi?

Donegal Hibby
29-05-2023, 12:39 PM
I'm not trying to make excuses or anything and I doubt Marshall is as well though as captain maybe he sees more the effects 3 games in 6 days has on his teammates after playing 30 odd games.

It's of course the same for every team though with the 3 players we got injured I did wonder was this maybe pushing players abit far when Marshall expressed concerns about it .It doesn't give players much recovery time from minor injuries or rest which maybe could effect players performance which would have a bearing on the quality of the game to I think.

We do seem to have breaks during the season for one reason or another and I just thought maybe there was a way of spreading the games a bit better rather than pushing players at all clubs towards the end of what was already a demanding season physically for them

Waxy
29-05-2023, 12:41 PM
No when they’re about to get six weeks off and get paid loads for it.
They should try a shift in a hospital, mine sewer etc

O'Rourke3
29-05-2023, 01:00 PM
In answer to the question. Yes. It's ridiculous. Could it be helped? No, thanks to the money grabbing Quatari World Cup.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
29-05-2023, 01:19 PM
In answer to the question. Yes. It's ridiculous. Could it be helped? No, thanks to the money grabbing Quatari World Cup.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

They finish the season this way every year. There’s always a midweek fixture second last game I think.

Broken Gnome
29-05-2023, 01:29 PM
I hate it, because it's bloody hard to trust Hibs to do what's required three times in a week.

BlackSheep
29-05-2023, 01:36 PM
The proof is in the pudding…. Injuries mounted up in the space of 6 days… we looked exhausted and out of ideas in the 2nd half at Hearts… folks are just too cynical to believe fatigue had anything to do with the end of the season.

Smartie
29-05-2023, 01:36 PM
I might have had a bit more sympathy if we hadn’t had so many free weeks throughout the season as a result of being papped out the cups so early.

Having to play Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday on one occasion doesn’t register as being remotely harsh to me, especially from someone who’s been playing his first season up here after playing at clubs where a 46 game league season is the norm.

Smartie
29-05-2023, 01:40 PM
The proof is in the pudding…. Injuries mounted up in the space of 6 days… we looked exhausted and out of ideas in the 2nd half at Hearts… folks are just too cynical to believe fatigue had anything to do with the end of the season.

We also saw how pish our fringe players were and how Johnson has been correct in keeping their involvement minimal for the past few months.

Even just 2 slightly stronger options and I don’t think we look nearly as inept or tired in that game.

Hearts were the ones who should have been tired, if we’d moved the ball properly and run their ten into the ground. That we didn’t is on us and nobody else.

BlackSheep
29-05-2023, 01:50 PM
I might have had a bit more sympathy if we hadn’t had so many free weeks throughout the season as a result of being papped out the cups so early.

Having to play Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday on one occasion doesn’t register as being remotely harsh to me, especially from someone who’s been playing his first season up here after playing at clubs where a 46 game league season is the norm.

Hold on… are you trying to say that having a few weekends off throughout the season is no excuse to be fatigued after playing 3 of the top teams in the league in less than a week, at the end of the season as well when most teams are burning out.

I’m not sure anyone is saying our final league place is no one but Hib’s responsibility but the final run of fixtures certainly didn’t help.

As for Hearts should’ve been tired… to a degree you’re correct but on their tiny pitch it’s hard to stretch the play…! You’d be hard pressed to find a 7 a side team that would tire playing there lol

Smartie
29-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Hold on… are you trying to say that having a few weekends off throughout the season is no excuse to be fatigued after playing 3 of the top teams in the league in less than a week, at the end of the season as well when most teams are burning out.

I’m not sure anyone is saying our final league place is no one but Hib’s responsibility but the final run of fixtures certainly didn’t help.

As for Hearts should’ve been tired… to a degree you’re correct but on their tiny pitch it’s hard to stretch the play…! You’d be hard pressed to find a 7 a side team that would tire playing there lol

I think they have good reason to be tired, it’s a tough week. I just don’t think they’ve got any right to be moaning about it or attributing any part of an underachievement to it.

There will be other seasons when we’ll have to play this sort of schedule many times throughout a season and we need a squad to be able to cope with it. We don’t have that, and that’s why we suffered more than we should have.

Hibs’ schedule this season has not been onerous, we had a heavy week. We have been over reliant on some players over the course of the season but that’s mainly due to poor transfer business and a bit of bad luck with injuries (some of which may even be attributed to signing injury prone players).

Donegal Hibby
29-05-2023, 03:33 PM

Have to say I agree with you in that we did look completely exhausted in the 2nd half . I don't think Marshall was moaning about it , I think he was more concerned that such a heavy schedule in 6 days after playing 30 odd games ended up with us having 3 players injured .

Pushing 3 games in a space of 6 days imo will effect players fatigue causing mistakes and wont enhance the quality of the football being played for the fans either. It also increases the chances of players getting bad injuries too

I think Marshall right in its something that should be looked at and discussed by the powers that be in order to see if there's another solution rather than pushing players to there limits toward the end of the season. Would be a win - win for all clubs imo .

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Lot of people who know better than the 20 year professional in here.

The best managers in the world consistently complain about rammed fixtures. They are obviously correct, as is Marshall.

Smartie
29-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Well, if 3 games in 6 days is too many then we better hope that we never get beyond the first round of a cup competition or finish any higher in the league than 6th, with all the pesky European football that it brings.

"Top" managers might moan about it but the best of them find a way to deal with it.

Yes, it was a tough schedule but imo it wasn't unreasonable. You wouldn't want it every week but if it happens once or twice over a season you just have to find a way to deal with it.

The schedule we had when we got to the League and Scottish Cup finals whilst challenging for the Championship was significantly tougher, and deserving of comment/ understanding if results were affected.

Sour grapes imo and I don't particularly like that from my club.

scoopyboy
29-05-2023, 06:58 PM
If one of our chances to win the game at Tynecastle went in we wouldn't have this thread

Northernhibee
29-05-2023, 07:00 PM
If one of our chances to win the game at Tynecastle went in we wouldn't have this thread
If we didn’t have two major injuries to players in the last two games in the season we wouldn’t have this thread.

Eyrie
29-05-2023, 07:05 PM
It's less that we had to play 3 games in six days than that only us and Sevco had to do that. Everyone else played Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday so had an extra day of recovery.

Donegal Hibby
29-05-2023, 07:13 PM
If one of our chances had went in I'd probably still have done the thread as we'd still have 3 injured players in the last game of the season after a hectic 6 days .

Smartie
29-05-2023, 07:29 PM
If we didn’t have two major injuries to players in the last two games in the season we wouldn’t have this thread.

Was it the prospect of the Hearts game 3 days later that caused Egan-Riley’s injury and were the 2 minutes played at the end of the Celtic game the straw that ruptured the camel’s back in the case of Cadden’s Achilles tendon?

JimBHibees
29-05-2023, 09:15 PM
I'm not trying to make excuses or anything and I doubt Marshall is as well though as captain maybe he sees more the effects 3 games in 6 days has on his teammates after playing 30 odd games.

It's of course the same for every team though with the 3 players we got injured I did wonder was this maybe pushing players abit far when Marshall expressed concerns about it .It doesn't give players much recovery time from minor injuries or rest which maybe could effect players performance which would have a bearing on the quality of the game to I think.

We do seem to have breaks during the season for one reason or another and I just thought maybe there was a way of spreading the games a bit better rather than pushing players at all clubs towards the end of what was already a demanding season physically for them

Wasn't the same for every team as us and Rangers played Sunday. Hearts played Aberdeen Saturday lunchtime. The gap between a Wednesday night game and Saturday lunchtime was ridiculous imo. Bottom 6 should have been Saturday.

JimBHibees
29-05-2023, 09:16 PM
It's less that we had to play 3 games in six days than that only us and Sevco had to do that. Everyone else played Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday so had an extra day of recovery.

Agree. Our three hardest games also.

Cammy
29-05-2023, 09:21 PM

Yes it is, but unfortunately a lot of it is dictated by our SPFL tv commitments and therefore as long as that is the case we will have very little say.

scoopyboy
29-05-2023, 09:23 PM
CJ Egan-Riley played 68 minutes of the game away to SJ on 22nd April.

Hibs next game was on 6th May where he played the whole game.

Next game 13th May where he played the whole game.

Next game 21st May where he played 81 minutes.

Injured after 64 minutes of game against Celtic on 24th May.

So in just over a month he played in 5 games, hardly a heavy schedule so the argument that he was injured due to fatigue doesn't add up. In fact not even remotely close.

brianmc
29-05-2023, 09:24 PM

If Marshall hadn't been so rank rotten this calendar year we wouldn't have this thread.

scoopyboy
29-05-2023, 09:26 PM
Wasn't the same for every team as us and Rangers played Sunday. Hearts played Aberdeen Saturday lunchtime. The gap between a Wednesday night game and Saturday lunchtime was ridiculous imo. Bottom 6 should have been Saturday.

Do bottom six teams not suffer from fatigue?

All twelve teams played on the Wednesday.

scoopyboy
29-05-2023, 09:27 PM
If Marshall hadn't been so rank rotten this calendar year we wouldn't have this thread.

Agreed

Donegal Hibby
29-05-2023, 09:56 PM
I fail to see what Marshalls performance's has to do with the question of ' is 3 games in 6 days towards the end of the season a bit much tbh ?

JimBHibees
30-05-2023, 05:56 AM
Do bottom six teams not suffer from fatigue?

All twelve teams played on the Wednesday.

Yes they do buy they didn't have two of those teams playing third game in six days.

JimBHibees
30-05-2023, 05:56 AM
I fail to see what Marshalls performance's has to do with the question of ' is 3 games in 6 days towards the end of the season a bit much tbh ?

Agree completely unrelated

Bristolhibby
30-05-2023, 03:10 PM
I hate it, because it's bloody hard to trust Hibs to do what's required three times in a week.

4 points from a potential 9. We did alright this year.

J

Broken Gnome
30-05-2023, 03:25 PM
4 points from a potential 9. We did alright this year.

J

Totally, I think we ended up about as well as would have been expected, as a draw, defeat and win from those three is about as positively realistic as it gets for that team.

The two times that spring to mind though are 2018 with Lennon and this shot at finishing 4th. We've had chances but needed sustained above-par performances and results, and that's typically a big ask for Hibs teams.