PDA

View Full Version : If Just Stop Oil protestors forced a stoppage at a Hibs match how would you feel?

He's here!
27-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Protest interrupts Rugby Union's Premiership final between Saracens and Sale (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/protest-interrupts-rugby-union-s-premiership-final-between-saracens-and-sale/ar-AA1bLVfK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4f284c233d9a4ef589f8422c839fb67c&ei=10)

This follows the 'protest' at the World Snooker Championship. Do such actions have a place in sport?

27-05-2023, 03:59 PM
I'd think it was a couple of Hearts players that had found a new way to timewaste.

hibby rae
27-05-2023, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest

Diclonius
27-05-2023, 04:20 PM
Needs to be done, people don't give a **** unless it interrupts something they care about.

basehibby
Unless there was sponsorship involved from some oil company or similar I'd think they were dickheads.

Cat Stanton
Most games this season I'd be delighted!

wookie70
I think I would welcome it. It makes me laugh everyone moaning about the slow walk protests. It took an hour for me to get about 2 miles on the bypass coming back from the game. We are inconvenienced constantly in life and if someone ran on and sprayed orange dye I'd just presume it was a The The fan. Smoke bombs damage the pitch week in week out anyway and there is nothing apart from a "look at me" motive behind them

Since90+2
27-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Needs to be done, people don't give a **** unless it interrupts something they care about.

Well, that's just clearly nonsense. No doubt you'll be along to say otherwise, but there's plenty of people who care about the environment.

The Pointer
27-05-2023, 04:43 PM
They're very cleverly disrupting events with good legal advice paid for by billionaire benefactors and JSO is today's 'cause du jour'.

One day, hopefully soon, the public will deal with them in the way these blokes were pulled off the train in London. It's time the police dealt with them instead of standing by and lifting the public who try to do something about it.

Golden Bear
27-05-2023, 04:46 PM
Thankful (at times!😁)

One Day Soon
27-05-2023, 05:23 PM
They can GTF as far as I’m concerned. The UK is responsible for about 1.5% of annual global emissions of CO2.

And that’s before we even start to talk about the children of the rich coming to Easter Road to spray ****ing ORANGE everywhere.

Malthibby
27-05-2023, 05:47 PM
More power to their elbow.
Kids here are looking at the pension age heading for 70, the French are rioting because it's going to 64.
Climate change is happening, we're told we need to increase the amounts of oil & gas we are using or our 'economy' will suffer.
Our economy is based on the rich becoming richer while the poor become poorer.
We complain about the rising cost of everything, then do nothing about it.
Erm, meybes the Holy Ground for this.....

Glory Lurker
27-05-2023, 05:50 PM
Protest interrupts Rugby Union's Premiership final between Saracens and Sale (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/protest-interrupts-rugby-union-s-premiership-final-between-saracens-and-sale/ar-AA1bLVfK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4f284c233d9a4ef589f8422c839fb67c&ei=10)

This follows the 'protest' at the World Snooker Championship. Do such actions have a place in sport?

Ken, eh? The impending environmental disaster isn't as important as sport.

What's your opinion?

Glory Lurker
27-05-2023, 05:50 PM
They can GTF as far as I’m concerned. The UK is responsible for about 1.5% of annual global emissions of CO2.

And that’s before we even start to talk about the children of the rich coming to Easter Road to spray ****ing ORANGE everywhere.

What about UK owned companies?

Alfred E Newman
27-05-2023, 06:15 PM
Kids here are looking at the pension age heading for 70, the French are rioting because it's going to 64.
Climate change is happening, we're told we need to increase the amounts of oil & gas we are using or our 'economy' will suffer.

Thank goodness the season is finished and we can have a well earned rest from reading political pish like this on Hibs net.

Tully
27-05-2023, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't make any difference the game is stopped so much with fake injuries and time wasting no one would notice

Golden Bear
27-05-2023, 07:13 PM
Thank goodness the season is finished and we can have a well earned rest from reading political pish like this on Hibs net.

Spot on.

Eyrie
27-05-2023, 07:14 PM
I'd be unhappy if it happened at Easter Road.

I struggle to understand how constantly pissing people off is going to win support for action on what is already a high profile threat. The scientific evidence of our impact on the planet is clear and it's regularly in the news.

If only the idiot protestors would put the same effort into highlighting ways to lower our consumption that they do with their self indulgent attention seeking, they could actually achieve something.

greenpaper55
27-05-2023, 07:15 PM
Presumably they all cycled to whatever they wanted to protest about, biggest load of pish I have ever heard.

One Day Soon
27-05-2023, 07:56 PM
What about UK owned companies?

I don't mind them coming to Easter Road and spraying the place orange. It's just what I'd expect from those establishment capitalist lackeys.

As long as they pay at the gate.

Pretty Boy
27-05-2023, 08:04 PM
By it's nature protest is disruptive. It's only effective if it takes the public with you in terms of support for your cause though.

The issue with Just Stop Oil is that whilst their protests spark discussion it's largely about the nature of the protests rather than the environmental disaster itself. Is that really a successful protest?

I've a mate who is quite involved in environmental politics and he has stated a belief that JSO are something of a trojan horse being funded to actively turn people against environmental causes. I think that's getting into conspiracy theory territory but he's pretty firm in said belief.

27-05-2023, 08:06 PM
I don't mind them coming to Easter Road and spraying the place orange. It's just what I'd expect from those establishment capitalist lackeys.

Rangers would love them to go to Ibrox.

Glory Lurker
27-05-2023, 08:09 PM

Pudding?

Bristolhibby
27-05-2023, 08:10 PM

So because they are rich (we don’t know that, just take your word), that means they can’t care about the planet.

Collectively we (humanity) do **** all but destroy this planet we share. Nobody is listening. In years time they will be like the suffragettes. We just don’t realise it yet.

Also, bully for the U.K. this is a world problem. We started it (Industrial Revolution) we benefitted from it (the Empire) we should be at the forefront of helping with the solution.

J

Bristolhibby
27-05-2023, 08:12 PM

Climate change is political? Well who’d have thunk it? 🤷🏽*♀️

Glory Lurker
27-05-2023, 08:15 PM
So because they are rich (we don’t know that, just take your word), that means they can’t care about the planet.

Collectively we (humanity) do **** all but destroy this planet we share. Nobody is listening. In years time they will be like the suffragettes. We just don’t realise it yet.

Also, bully for the U.K. this is a world problem. We started it (Industrial Revolution) we benefitted from it (the Empire) we should be at the forefront of helping with the solution.

J

And our pensions invest in companies worldwide who cause the problem.

In the hope of keeping this thread on this board though, I'm confident, without any reason to believe this apart from gut feeling faith, that the biodiversity of this rock would be better served by hearts ceasing to exist than them continuing.

Get it sorted, Greta.

Bristolhibby
27-05-2023, 09:02 PM
And our pensions invest in companies worldwide who cause the problem.

In the hope of keeping this thread on this board though, I'm confident, without any reason to believe this apart from gut feeling faith, that the biodiversity of this rock would be better served by hearts ceasing to exist than them continuing.

Get it sorted, Greta.

Agree, too much Carbon being used by that lot in Tynecastle.

J

danhibees1875
27-05-2023, 09:27 PM
By it's nature protest is disruptive. It's only effective if it takes the public with you in terms of support for your cause though.

The issue with Just Stop Oil is that whilst their protests spark discussion it's largely about the nature of the protests rather than the environmental disaster itself. Is that really a successful protest?

I've a mate who is quite involved in environmental politics and he has stated a belief that JSO are something of a trojan horse being funded to actively turn people against environmental causes. I think that's getting into conspiracy theory territory but he's pretty firm in said belief.

I'd agree that seems a bit farfetched. I think the climate crisis is significant enough that I'm not going to change my opinion on it, or the need for change, but the stunts are typically ineffective and a bit of a deterrent to "getting behind the cause".

I might find them even more counterproductive if they end up happening outwith London.

matty_f
27-05-2023, 09:40 PM

:agree:

random sub
27-05-2023, 10:31 PM
Would welcome these protestors at ER….passion, commitment, all together behind a just cause- plenty going for them, plenty to learn from

He's here!
27-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Ken, eh? The impending environmental disaster isn't as important as sport.

What's your opinion?

I think they're upper middle class wokerati doomsayers.

More power to the everyday workers who've started taking direct action against the t**ts.

B.H.F.C
27-05-2023, 11:42 PM
Folk would be on the pitch to drag them off. Rightly.

Would be quite amusing I think.

neil7908
28-05-2023, 12:30 AM
I fully back their cause but I'm not convinced what they are doing works.

I think society is so polarised now that they aren't winning anyone over, and just creating more bad press for the very urgent changes that need to be made.

In terms of disrupting the game though I'm not that fussed.

Yesterday must have had one of most stoppages of any game I've ever seen. I'd love to know how long the ball was actually in play for because it felt like there were huge spells of waiting for players to get treatment, ref making a decision, getting the ball back from their thuggish fans etc. I suspect a JSO protest would see the game restarted quicker than when a Hearts player goes down injured.

Newry Hibs
28-05-2023, 07:41 AM
The climate's in trouble? I never knew, if only they mentioned it earlier.

fat freddy
28-05-2023, 10:18 AM
If they just stopped oil the seats at Easter Rd would need replaced with wooden ones, the phone or laptop you are reading this on wouldn't exist, the transport you use to get to Easter Rd wouldn't exist, the thousands of items we use in everyday life wouldn't exist.
Look at who funds these organisations, The Getty's are heavily involved, the same Getty's that got rich off oil.
There's dark forces behind all of these modern protest movements.
You'll realise this when you are all caged inside 15 minute cities.

allezsauzee
29-05-2023, 08:55 AM

I'm sure if Naismith had the time to organise one at half time on Saturday he would have done so.

Nicho87
29-05-2023, 09:02 AM
If we’re losing don’t care

If we’re winning get them hiked off

ElginHibbie
29-05-2023, 09:13 AM
Hibs matches don't get enough attention to make it worth their time so not a scenario think we will ever have to worry about!

RMQ1967
29-05-2023, 11:13 AM
I'd be unhappy if it happened at Easter Road.

I struggle to understand how constantly pissing people off is going to win support for action on what is already a high profile threat. The scientific evidence of our impact on the planet is clear and it's regularly in the news.

If only the idiot protestors would put the same effort into highlighting ways to lower our consumption that they do with their self indulgent attention seeking, they could actually achieve something.

Agree to an extent. I don't see what's to be gained by irritating people trying to get to work or enjoying sports.

They need to be targeting the politicians, political events & Westminster. These are the people who can make change - not drivers & sports viewers

Waxy
29-05-2023, 11:23 AM
If they did at ibrox what they did at the snooker the crowds would love it

One Day Soon
29-05-2023, 02:45 PM
Pudding?

Where are the Just Stop Oil offices? I think we should go there and spray green over everything.

Bronson
29-05-2023, 03:14 PM

More power to the everyday workers who've started taking direct action against the t**ts.

Amen to this

hibby rae
29-05-2023, 04:37 PM
Agree to an extent. I don't see what's to be gained by irritating people trying to get to work or enjoying sports.

They need to be targeting the politicians, political events & Westminster. These are the people who can make change - not drivers & sports viewers

Tbf the same was probably said about the suffragettes.

Politicians etc have been targetted too, one of the reasons the Tories have brought in such draconian anti-protest laws, but they aren't listening/acting quickly enough

JSO is fundamentally a reaction to governmental inaction amd indifference. It comes from fear and frustration

GonzoReturns
29-05-2023, 05:18 PM
And if we were in a cup final heading along the M8 and they stopped/disrupted the traffic stopped you getting there and we won…..be alright all for the greater good!!!

hibby rae
29-05-2023, 08:08 PM
And if we were in a cup final heading along the M8 and they stopped/disrupted the traffic stopped you getting there and we won…..be alright all for the greater good!!!

Well yeah, that's what the greater good means.

Football isn't life and death, whereas the environment kind of is.

Although it isn't just the environment, imagine not having to toadie to religious fundamentalist governments down the line either

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:43 PM

What has anything you’ve written got to do with oil?

I Would not entertain these attention seekers at Easter road.

These people are nothing to do with poverty and are usually from a very privileged background and do not live in the real world.

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:44 PM

Can’t agree more :agree:

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:47 PM
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

J

:yawn:

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:50 PM

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Folk would be on the pitch to drag them off. Rightly.

Would be quite amusing I think.

Cammy
29-05-2023, 08:56 PM
Tbf the same was probably said about the suffragettes.

Politicians etc have been targetted too, one of the reasons the Tories have brought in such draconian anti-protest laws, but they aren't listening/acting quickly enough

JSO is fundamentally a reaction to governmental inaction amd indifference. It comes from fear and frustration

No it probably wasn’t. :yawn:

Cammy
29-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Well yeah, that's what the greater good means.

Football isn't life and death, whereas the environment kind of is.

Although it isn't just the environment, imagine not having to toadie to religious fundamentalist governments down the line either

Bore off, I would be raging. You’ve obviously got more time on your hands to think about it but most people have very little control over the environment they live in. They want to get as much enjoyment out of life as they can get. For some that is football, and a cup final is the ultimate, like in 2016. Imagine if these idiots stopped us getting there to experience that day.

We all agree in looking after the environment but pissing people off will never build a consensus on dealing with it the way it should be.

Radge70
29-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Next season it will be just stop Boyle

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2023, 11:04 PM
I find it hard to condemn these folk, the planet faces a real crisis and they feel they need to do something ... I say that as someone whose only green credentials are a reasonable collection of retro Hibs tops.

As another poster alluded to .. if these folk are going to disrupt a football match it's not going to be at Easter Road ... Old Trafford, Wembley aye ... Easter Road, no chance :greengrin

jakeshibs
30-05-2023, 06:47 AM

its not required at football and would not appreciate it as paying money and they are interrupting it so would take offence against them.

hibstag
30-05-2023, 07:52 AM
They're very cleverly disrupting events with good legal advice paid for by billionaire benefactors and JSO is today's 'cause du jour'.

One day, hopefully soon, the public will deal with them in the way these blokes were pulled off the train in London. It's time the police dealt with them instead of standing by and lifting the public who try to do something about it.

When I see this sort of thing in the news, I think back to the ‘milk protest’ in comely bank Waitrose, 2 perfectly good far busier for making your point Morrisons close by might not have gone down as smoothly….

FilipinoHibs
30-05-2023, 07:58 AM

Certainly case with far left organisations like the Socialist Worker Party and the Palestinian Solidarity campaign. A friend of mine and an activist whose dad was high up in the CID said her dad confirmed. Would prefer a peaceful lobby outside the ground with leaflets and banners.

flash
30-05-2023, 08:56 AM

"Wokerati". Daily Mail reader alert.

wookie70
30-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Bore off, I would be raging. You’ve obviously got more time on your hands to think about it but most people have very little control over the environment they live in. They want to get as much enjoyment out of life as they can get. For some that is football, and a cup final is the ultimate, like in 2016. Imagine if these idiots stopped us getting there to experience that day.

We all agree in looking after the environment but pissing people off will never build a consensus on dealing with it the way it should be.

Pissing people off has brought in more improvement to life than ignoring an issue ever has. Look at things like concussion in sport. That started with pissing people off or nothing would have been done. Equal rights never happen if women don't go on strike and that actually had a negative effect on the men in the same factory. Shorter working weeks, votes for working class and women, equality and discrimination legislation pretty much everything needed pissing off to get the democratic process moving. Nearly every advance for working people started with pissing people off.

Those with a bit of money and privilege are doing lots of the work of protest because they have a safety net, the suffragettes weren't exactly blue collar workers. We will have to wait until workers have nothing to lose before real protest starts to change the country. We are getting closer to that every day as full time wages are less and less likely to cover basic needs. I will support anybody brave enough to be protesting for the greater good, if that means missing a cup final then so be it.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2023, 04:53 PM
I'd love it if they did this at a big football match, as there are more nutters at football, and there would be a higher chance of someone getting near them to blooter them hard.

30-05-2023, 06:36 PM
This is how they deal with protestors in Sweden.

https://youtu.be/drGxQFhuVos

Glory Lurker
03-06-2023, 06:46 PM
Moving it away from oil itself to oil-based products, but we need to stop using plastic in tifos. The size of the Celtc one today really brought that home to me.

hibby rae
04-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Moving it away from oil itself to oil-based products, but we need to stop using plastic in tifos. The size of the Celtc one today really brought that home to me.

Good point. Couple of times I come to my seat and there's a bit of green or white plastic to hold up and I always think about how this tallys with out claim to be the greenest club on the country