PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Laidlaw leaving Hibs

Percy Vere
27-05-2023, 07:08 AM
Sorry to see that Ethan Laidlaw is leaving this summer.
Does anyone know the circumstances?
He is a player that’s had a lot of admirers.

Libby Hibby
27-05-2023, 07:12 AM
Billy big boots apparently

McGruber
27-05-2023, 07:25 AM
Disappointing. Looked the best of the bunch in the youth team and the stand out in the Dortmund game. Don't know if he's gone because he wants more money or more game time. We don't particularly give youth much of a chance at Hibs these days, rightly or wrongly.
Assume we'll get a token development fee

Iain G
27-05-2023, 07:28 AM
Probably just the latest in a long line of Kurtis Byrne like characters?!

DaveF
27-05-2023, 07:33 AM
Can't we just wish the laddie good luck in his future career? For whatever reason, he's not had chances here so I don't blame him for seeking opportunity elsewhere. No idea if he'll make it but from my very limited viewing of him, he's strong and knows where the goal is so he has a chance.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Shame really I wonder if the boy has been badly advised, if the management did not fully appreciate the obvious untapped potential that he displayed against Dortmund or if he has a serious attitude problem ?

Wish him every success for the future

hibee-boys
27-05-2023, 07:40 AM
I think the lad is out of contract and declined to sign a new one. I assume better terms were offered elsewhere as if rumours are true, that he’s going to Watford, it’ll not be in search of first team football. Would’ve liked to have seen him get a chance at Hibs but the bottom line is that if these kids aren’t good enough we can’t just throw them on for sentimental reasons. We’ve played the likes of Porteous and Doig as teenagers so if they’re good enough at that age they’d get a shot I’m sure🤷🏼 I am concerned about the lack of number of our youth/development teams that ultimately break through into our first team squad though. We must’ve invested huge resources in our pathway but the return has been minimal over the past few years.

Forza Fred
27-05-2023, 07:43 AM
I wish him well

Hardly a shock that a youngster decides to leave his club these days when he is 18 and came up through the youth ranks.

His choice.

We shall see whether it was a good or bad move in a couple of years.

Brightside
27-05-2023, 07:45 AM
Can't we just wish the laddie good luck in his future career? For whatever reason, he's not had chances here so I don't blame him for seeking opportunity elsewhere. No idea if he'll make it but from my very limited viewing of him, he's strong and knows where the goal is so he has a chance.

Correct. The comments from some are poor.

Hibee Mac
27-05-2023, 07:57 AM
Real shame, I rated him. Definitely looked a standout in the youth side, probably him and Blaney, maybe Megwa and Johnstone too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
27-05-2023, 08:11 AM
Only seen him play once (Dortmund game) and he looked really good.

For the sake of Scottish football, I hope he develops into a top class player.

neil7908
27-05-2023, 08:25 AM
Disappointing. Looked the best of the bunch in the youth team and the stand out in the Dortmund game. Don't know if he's gone because he wants more money or more game time. We don't particularly give youth much of a chance at Hibs these days, rightly or wrongly.
Assume we'll get a token development fee

Is there anything in the development fee system that means we get a sell on clause? Would much rather have 20% of his transfer fee than some meagre development fee.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Is there anything in the development fee system that means we get a sell on clause? Would much rather have 20% of his transfer fee than some meagre development fee.

I think if we offered him a contract, we’d be due a fee of some sorts

JimBHibees
27-05-2023, 08:39 AM
Not seen enough of the kid to genuinely know what potential he has however certainly looked physically the most capable player of progressing in the Dortmund game. Hope it works out well for him.

Calidad
27-05-2023, 08:40 AM
Anyone know why we have literally no youngsters in and around the first team? Was the last one Porteous?

JimBHibees
27-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Anyone know why we have literally no youngsters in and around the first team? Was the last one Porteous?

Assuming they are considered not good enough yet. Good that players like Johnson Aiken and Josh OC going out on loan next season. Up to them to get game time and prove the are good enough. Didn't appear to be anywhere near enough games this season at their current level for them.

Stairway 2 7
27-05-2023, 08:56 AM
Almost every player that has came through at hibs from the youths has proved it on loan first. All of Ethans team mates that were offered a contract have signed and agreed a loan. If they do well against the adults they will get their chance as they always have at Hibs. Ethan obviously doesn't want to do that, for his case I hope he's right. No others have left at his age and went on to better so a big call for him to refuse our contract

BoltonHibee
27-05-2023, 09:03 AM
I was speaking to some scouts of other clubs a couple of weeks ago, and they’d all said he was off to Arsenal - whether that’s pish or not I have no idea. 3 of them mentioned it ( or one did and the other two said they heard the same)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
27-05-2023, 09:12 AM
I’m coming round to the way of thinking that we bin the whole youth set up.

The way finances are now, anybody half decent is likely to be whisked off either to the OF or England, leaving us with the ones least likely to be of much use.

We’re probably best focusing on salvaging the likes of Laidlaw when they’re binned a few years further down the line.

Steven79
27-05-2023, 09:16 AM

The way finances are now, anybody half decent is likely to be whisked off either to the OF or England, leaving us with the ones least likely to be of much use.

We’re probably best focusing on salvaging the likes of Laidlaw when they’re binned a few years further down the line.Mixed feelings about that as on one hand I agree but at the same time if clubs aren't bringing through youngsters then what for the future of Scottish football and the National Team.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
27-05-2023, 09:18 AM
Can’t get too worked up about this. He’ll be away down south for more cash, fair play to him.

Stairway 2 7
27-05-2023, 09:22 AM
I was speaking to some scouts of other clubs a couple of weeks ago, and they’d all said he was off to Arsenal - whether that’s pish or not I have no idea. 3 of them mentioned it ( or one did and the other two said they heard the same)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would be surprised. He'll be 19 in 6 months and not played against adults. Saying that English teams chuck crazy money at the youths knowing almost all won't make it worth them. I'd heard he'd talked to a Scottish championship club but probably wasn't taking it. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I'd think English youth football would be the wrong path

Smartie
27-05-2023, 09:22 AM
Mixed feelings about that as on one hand I agree but at the same time if clubs aren't bringing through youngsters then what for the future of Scottish football and the National Team.

It’s actually the total opposite of what I like and what I’d want Hibs to do in a remotely ideal world (also partly for the reasons you highlight) but rather it feels like the best way for Hibs to achieve success in the current climate.

HIBS NUTS
27-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Mixed feelings about that as on one hand I agree but at the same time if clubs aren't bringing through youngsters then what for the future of Scottish football and the National Team.

I’m pretty sure that if you don’t have a youth system, you can’t compete in european comps, i’m sure someone knows better than me.
However UEFA are introducing new conditions every year, about youth players having to be involved in european squads, and a percentage of these players must be from the teams country.
Therefore we cannot bin our youth system.
The other main point is, mainly kids male and female, that go through the system feel an affinity with the club, including some of their parents.
The club are entwined more in the community, and we are after all a community club.
Imagine hibs didn’t have a youth system, and hearts picked up all the decent local kids. 🤔

HendoDelivered
27-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Obviously wasn’t too arsed about staying, as most of the other lads except him signed the 2 year deals offered. Good luck wherever you go you pup 👍🏼

Steven79
27-05-2023, 09:36 AM
It’s actually the total opposite of what I like and what I’d want Hibs to do in a remotely ideal world (also partly for the reasons you highlight) but rather it feels like the best way for Hibs to achieve success in the current climate.Yeah I agree with that.

Picking up youngsters that are let go by bigger clubs and invest that money we save on the first team seems a better idea.

And like you say in an ideal world we wouldn't but what we get from it dosen't cover what we spend and that money can go on the first team instead.

Smartie
27-05-2023, 09:37 AM
I’m pretty sure that if you don’t have a youth system, you can’t compete in european comps, i’m sure someone knows better than me.
However UEFA are introducing new conditions every year, about youth players having to be involved in european squads, and a percentage of these players must be from the teams country.
Therefore we cannot bin our youth system.
The other main point is, mainly kids male and female, that go through the system feel an affinity with the club, including some of their parents.
The club are entwined more in the community, and we are after all a community club.
Imagine hibs didn’t have a youth system, and hearts picked up all the decent local kids. 🤔

Was it not St Johnstone who axed their youth system, instead focusing on signing players for their first team?

Or maybe they just operate with the bare minimum required to allow them to function normally ie play in Europe etc?

MWHIBBIES
27-05-2023, 09:38 AM

We’re probably best focusing on salvaging the likes of Laidlaw when they’re binned a few years further down the line.

This isn't happening, though. If it actually started happening, fair enough, but its not.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-05-2023, 09:38 AM
Hard to believe he wouldn't have offered more than McKirdy had he been given the opportunity.

HIBS NUTS
27-05-2023, 09:45 AM
Was it not St Johnstone who axed their youth system, instead focusing on signing players for their first team?

Or maybe they just operate with the bare minimum required to allow them to function normally ie play in Europe etc?

To be fair, i think st johnstone mainly operate on not getting relegated each season, rather than being worried about competing in Europe.
Hibs should be looking to be in europe every season. 👍🏻

Donegal Hibby
27-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Don't know much about the player just what folk have said on here about him . Going by what's been said he seems to be talented player with abit of a attitude . Think he's making a mistake by leaving tbh . Though do wish him well in his football career.

Smartie
27-05-2023, 09:51 AM
This isn't happening, though. If it actually started happening, fair enough, but its not.

It does feel a bit like Laidlaw was the jewel in the crown of this group of youngsters and we maybe need to be asking a few questions about why his time at Hibs has ended now.

Iirc Murray Johnson went for quite a few trials down South a few years ago but nothing came of them. Not sure what exactly happened there.

We’ll have had some loose change chucked back in from the likes of Young going to Rangers but I do think we need to question the investment in youth and our return on that investment.

Questioning the value of a youth system feels daft when you’re looking at our first team and seeing the amount of excellent football we’ve got from Hanlon and Stevenson over the years but it’s now quite some time since they broke through. Josh Campbell’s emergence has been welcome but in truth, it’s not much to show for quite a few years worth of activity.

When you consider the benefits we’ve had from recognising the likes of Doig, McGinn and Boyle as they’ve reached the point they did with their previous clubs, that just feels a bit more like the way to succeed nowadays rather than having the sort of environment that allowed the “golden generation” to emerge.

Nicho87
27-05-2023, 09:59 AM
I’ll stick by hibs and believe we think he can’t be good enough to give the wages he wanted.

If he had real standout potential

Hibs, kean, LJ would have been demanding hibs get a contract to him.

It didn’t happen, we move on.

Jamie Mcluskey, Kurtis Byrne, plenty of youngsters who were all meant to be good at youth level couldn’t make the step up.

Brightside
27-05-2023, 10:06 AM
Don't know much about the player just what folk have said on here about him . Going by what's been said he seems to be talented player with abit of a attitude . Think he's making a mistake by leaving tbh . Though do wish him well in his football career.

I hope people have examples of this poor attitude.

Stairway 2 7
27-05-2023, 10:07 AM
I’ll stick by hibs and believe we think he can’t be good enough to give the wages he wanted.

If he had real standout potential

Hibs, kean, LJ would have been demanding hibs get a contract to him.

It didn’t happen, we move on.

Jamie Mcluskey, Kurtis Byrne, plenty of youngsters who were all meant to be good at youth level couldn’t make the step up.

Connor Young, kane O'connor

Since452
27-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Really sad he's not been given a chance over McKirdy. Surely wouldn't have offered any less?

Stairway 2 7
27-05-2023, 10:14 AM
It does feel a bit like Laidlaw was the jewel in the crown of this group of youngsters and we maybe need to be asking a few questions about why his time at Hibs has ended now.

Iirc Murray Johnson went for quite a few trials down South a few years ago but nothing came of them. Not sure what exactly happened there.

We’ll have had some loose change chucked back in from the likes of Young going to Rangers but I do think we need to question the investment in youth and our return on that investment.

Questioning the value of a youth system feels daft when you’re looking at our first team and seeing the amount of excellent football we’ve got from Hanlon and Stevenson over the years but it’s now quite some time since they broke through. Josh Campbell’s emergence has been welcome but in truth, it’s not much to show for quite a few years worth of activity.

When you consider the benefits we’ve had from recognising the likes of Doig, McGinn and Boyle as they’ve reached the point they did with their previous clubs, that just feels a bit more like the way to succeed nowadays, rather than having the sort of environment that allowed the “golden generation” to emerge.

I think hibs put Rudi, McAllister and j MacIntyre as the jewels. Laidlaw probably similar potential to Johnson, Blaney, Aiken, o MacIntyre

In reality only 1 or 2 will make it to hibs level. We shouldn't offer outwith our standard contract to any of them as chances are they won't make it as said. Hopefully some of them can do a job against adults when on loan.

Pagan Hibernia
27-05-2023, 10:21 AM
This is not news I wanted to wake up to on derby day.

had high hopes for that lad.

eastmainsmsh
27-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Disappointing to lose him but he must be confident in his ability and if he gets a chance wherever he goes you never know good luck 👍

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2023, 11:03 AM
It is a bit disapointing, as the lad has looked to me a very good prospect. Hey ho, we will survive and the future is bright. :greengrin

LewysGot2
27-05-2023, 03:17 PM
At the game today

Pretty Boy
27-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Someone was telling me today he's signed/signing a 5 year deal at Watford.

Can't really blame him for that. 5 years is security he wouldn't get at Hibs and he's never been close to a getting a chance here either. probably on more money to boot.

1875Sean
27-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Hope he does well but it’s a league full of team that play hoof ball, hard for a young boy to break in

Pete70
27-05-2023, 04:10 PM
Wish the lad well as I would any player leaving Hibs.

hibee-boys
27-05-2023, 04:12 PM

Can't really blame him for that. 5 years is security he wouldn't get at Hibs and he's never been close to a getting a chance here either. probably on more money to boot.

And we dished out a 5 year contract to Tavares🙈

Since90+2
27-05-2023, 04:14 PM
And we dished out a 5 year contract to Tavares🙈

And Campbell.

McD
27-05-2023, 05:27 PM

johnstone is the number 2 keeper and been on the bench every match for months. The guy in front of him is the captain and a respected former international (albeit having a shocker of an end to the season)

LunasBoots
27-05-2023, 05:37 PM

Yeah sure villa and few other big clubs where sniffing about around Christmas, he was always going to get a deal elsewhere, had something extra about him

.Sean.
27-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Billy big boots apparently
He was sitting behind me at the last derby wearing a vintage Hibs top looking pretty amiable and keeping his head down, don’t see that at all

Brooster
28-05-2023, 07:10 AM
I've seen Ethan about 20 times this season for the 18s,19s and Development teams and not once have I seen anything to suggest he's got an attitude problem. He's a great talent and he wanted to stay but it wasn't to be. He's Hibs through and through and goes home and away every Saturday. I can't help feeling Hibs could've done more to keep him. I'd also like to see more of this batch of youths getting first team exposure, Oscar McIntyre for example is a better option than Cabraja who I thought was horrendous when he came on yesterday.

J-C
28-05-2023, 07:44 AM
And Campbell.

4 year deal for him.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2023, 07:55 AM
I've seen Ethan about 20 times this season for the 18s,19s and Development teams and not once have I seen anything to suggest he's got an attitude problem. He's a great talent and he wanted to stay but it wasn't to be. He's Hibs through and through and goes home and away every Saturday. I can't help feeling Hibs could've done more to keep him. I'd also like to see more of this batch of youths getting first team exposure, Oscar McIntyre for example is a better option than Cabraja who I thought was horrendous when he came on yesterday.

I've just posted on another thread that we have to get Oscar into the 1st team picture next season. It's helpful that Stevenson has had a decent end to this season so him and Oscar sharing reps so to speak would be fine by me.

Bridge hibs
28-05-2023, 08:05 AM
I've just posted on another thread that we have to get Oscar into the 1st team picture next season. It's helpful that Stevenson has had a decent end to this season so him and Oscar sharing reps so to speak would be fine by me.Yeah, I would like to think those youth players on the fringes of the first team will have the chance to be included and hopefully stake their claims during pre season

Carheenlea
28-05-2023, 08:10 AM

So had Hibs not offered him a deal to continue on? Given your post which highlights how much of Hibs fan he is and that he wanted to stay you’d have to imagine that it should have been easy one to get over the line if Hibs were keen to keep him?

BILLYHIBS
28-05-2023, 08:12 AM

This

Stairway 2 7
28-05-2023, 08:47 AM
So had Hibs not offered him a deal to continue on? Given your post which highlights how much of Hibs fan he is and that he wanted to stay you’d have to imagine that it should have been easy one to get over the line if Hibs were keen to keep him?

They offered him the highest deal we offer a youth player before they are in the first team, had a loan deal ready too if he wanted it.

Eyrie
28-05-2023, 09:43 AM
I've just posted on another thread that we have to get Oscar into the 1st team picture next season. It's helpful that Stevenson has had a decent end to this season so him and Oscar sharing reps so to speak would be fine by me.

Thought I read somewhere that MacIntyre was going on loan?

James70
28-05-2023, 09:48 AM
He went on trial to an EPL club (Liverpool or Man City maybe)around a year ago so I reckon he has been offered something down there. He was never going to stay with Hibs after his contract ended so Hìbs were justified in not giving him a chance in the 1st team.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 10:15 AM
He went on trial to an EPL club (Liverpool or Man City maybe)around a year ago so I reckon he has been offered something down there. He was never going to stay with Hibs after his contract ended so Hìbs were justified in not giving him a chance in the 1st team.

Maybe he had no intention of ever staying, but since Jack Ross had him training with the first team he’s seen a striker crisis last season. We had Drey Wright playing up front at times, and the signings of Bojang, Tavares, Melkerson, McKirdy, Hague all blocking his pathway for zero return.

It might well be a mistake to leave, but it’s just as big a risk to stay at a club that doesn’t seem to actually want to give youth a chance when circumstances present themselves. I don’t blame him for leaving, regardless of where he goes, I’m not sure Hibs are best for his progression.

Stairway 2 7
28-05-2023, 10:36 AM
He's never played against adults yet. The pathway for pretty much every player is prove it on loan and get used to rough and tumble of playing against men then you'll get chance after that. It worked for Porto, doig, Campbell and hundreds more. At the age ethan is Riordan was about to go on loan and shine for Cowdenbeath, he got a chance in the big team after that.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 10:42 AM
He's never played against adults yet. The pathway for pretty much every player is prove it on loan and get used to rough and tumble of playing against men then you'll get chance after that. It worked for Porto, doig, Campbell and hundreds more. At the age ethan is Riordan was about to go on loan and shine for Cowdenbeath, he got a chance in the big team after that.

A fair point, however Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher etc all played in the first team without a loan. I remember Fletcher playing out on the left last 20 minutes in games as a stick of a boy at 17. That’s the kind of introduction I’d have expected for Laidlaw by now.

HIBS NUTS
28-05-2023, 10:46 AM
A fair point, however Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher etc all played in the first team without a loan. I remember Fletcher playing out on the left last 20 minutes in games as a stick of a boy at 17. That’s the kind of introduction I’d have expected for Laidlaw by now.

One of the reasons these guys played, was because we were skint at the time.
It worked out well, but they were the exception to the rule.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 10:50 AM

An interesting point. Would the golden generation have came through at Hibs as early as they did, or got a chance, if they came through now? They would of course still have reached the heights they did because of their talent. However would we be brave enough to integrate them or would they still be playing U19 football longer that they actually did?

Stairway 2 7
28-05-2023, 10:58 AM
We see the youth team against kids. The coaching team see them train and play against adults for hours every week. They know better than us if they can hack it. If they were ready they would be involved it's mad to say they wouldn't.

Connor Young was standing out more than Ethan for many before he left. He struggled in the lowland league after leaving. He has been with East Fife in league 2 since January and only got 5 minutes most games, he's scored 1 in 8 games in a 8 nil win. There was a thread on here saying it was a joke Young wasn't getting a chance. It's fair to say they were wrong and the jump up to men's football is massive

Hopefully Laidlaw makes it but the chances are most of our youths wont

Heisenberg
28-05-2023, 11:01 AM
Josh Doig went on loan and proved he could compete before coming back and being the only left back in god knows how long to keep Lewis out of the team. If Laidlaw thought that pathway was beneath him then there’s not a lot we can do.

Bridge hibs
28-05-2023, 11:11 AM

Yeah, if I remember correctly there were a few promising youngsters but never actually heard much about Thomson. I think we were up at Dens park midweek and we were rooked by injuries and suspensions and Thomson was promoted to the first team squad on a kinda show us what you have and prove to us you are worth a contract

By all accounts he held is own as well as scoring against celtc soon after in a league cup game at Easter rd

superfurryhibby
28-05-2023, 11:30 AM
An interesting point. Would the golden generation have came through at Hibs as early as they did, or got a chance, if they came through now? They would of course still have reached the heights they did because of their talent. However would we be brave enough to integrate them or would they still be playing U19 football longer that they actually did?

I'm going to hazard a wild guess that talent will prevail and that if any young player was a stand out in training then they would be getting into the side now. Why wouldn't LJ play them, I can't think why he wouldn't.

easty
28-05-2023, 11:38 AM
I'm going to hazard a wild guess that talent will prevail and that if any young player was a stand out in training then they would be getting into the side now. Why wouldn't LJ play them, I can't think why he wouldn't.

:agree:

Hibs managers aren't holding back young players to spite the first team.

In the SPL this season only 9 players under 18 kicked a ball at any point.

Only 23 players under 19, and 2 of them were ours (MacIntyre and O'Connor).

Last season it was less 17 and 18 year olds involved.

CapitalGreen
28-05-2023, 11:53 AM

Riordan was 2 years older than Ethan when he went on loan to Cowdenbeath.

CapitalGreen
28-05-2023, 11:59 AM

Yes, the season those in bold (+ Riordan) became regulars we finished 8th and everyone wanted the manager sacked.

Stairway 2 7
28-05-2023, 12:03 PM
Riordan was 2 years older than Ethan when he went on loan to Cowdenbeath.

Proves my point more, that yes he was about 18 months older hadn't played much and was happy to go on loan to prove it.

Dashing Bob S
28-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Don’t blame him at all. With his ability a player of 18 would have went to Hibs and got his chance a decade ago. He’d perhaps gave stayed till his early twenties and gone ok for a big fee. Now we stick with old established pros. They’ve as much chance getting a first team game at Man City as Hibs these days. An ambitious and talented young player can’t be blamed for the risk aversive nature of Hibs and Scottish football.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 12:32 PM

Because managers have to look after their short term interests. Unless it’s in a managers remit they are going to pick guys like Henderson, McKirdy etc (as examples) who have little to no mid-long term future at Hibs over a youngster who possibly does have a mid-long term future but is less ready at the moment. Why persist with a youngster to your potential detriment when it’s the next manager who sees the fruits of your labour and not you.

Not every youngster has to be a starter or be sold for millions. Rather than sign squad fillers like Devlin, Bojang, Tavares, Delfierre, Hague, McKirdy, Tait, Melkerson etc use our own youth team to fill the squad and put the money saved on quality over quantity.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 12:40 PM
:agree:

Hibs managers aren't holding back young players to spite the first team.

In the SPL this season only 9 players under 18 kicked a ball at any point.

Only 23 players under 19, and 2 of them were ours (MacIntyre and O'Connor).

Last season it was less 17 and 18 year olds involved.

Between 2009 & 2019 (in analysis I’ve put up before, but can’t find anymore) we lagged behind Rangers, Celtc, Hearts, Aberdeen & Dundee Utd in debuts given to youth players. We were massively further behind in minutes played for youth players. I’ve seen nothing since 2019 to suggest that has changed.

We spend a lot of money on a youth academy but at the same time seem reluctant to use it as a key part of a Hibs squad. Until that changes (over to you Brian McDermott) I don’t know what the purpose of investing so heavily in a youth academy is.

Just_Jimmy
28-05-2023, 12:46 PM
Yeah, if I remember correctly there were a few promising youngsters but never actually heard much about Thomson. I think we were up at Dens park midweek and we were rooked by injuries and suspensions and Thomson was promoted to the first team squad on a kinda show us what you have and prove to us you are worth a contract

By all accounts he held is own as well as scoring against celtc soon after in a league cup game at Easter rdHe made his debut away at Dundee, that's right. He was a stand out that day but he hadn't been all that in the reserves at the time.

He scored in the quarter final of the 03/04 league Cup when we beat celtic 2-1. Brebner scored a penalty and Thompson got the winner. The headline was "King Kev is a Bobby dazzler". Johnny Bailey was the standout beside Caldwell that night.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
28-05-2023, 01:04 PM
I fully suspect he’ll never play football at as high a level as Hibs going forward.

We rarely get this stuff all that wrong.

As for the binning the youth teams, id agree. Our return from them has been abysmal.

CapitalGreen
28-05-2023, 01:06 PM
Between 2009 & 2019 (in analysis I’ve put up before, but can’t find anymore) we lagged behind Rangers, Celtc, Hearts, Aberdeen & Dundee Utd in debuts given to youth players. We were massively further behind in minutes played for youth players. I’ve seen nothing since 2019 to suggest that has changed.

We spend a lot of money on a youth academy but at the same time seem reluctant to use it as a key part of a Hibs squad. Until that changes (over to you Brian McDermott) I don’t know what the purpose of investing so heavily in a youth academy is.

and those young players who weren’t getting a game during that time went on to do what exactly?

We gave a lot of gametime during that period to Stanton, Handling, Harris, Forster, Caldwell, Cummings, Booth, Shaw and Wotherspoon. With the exception of Wotherspoon who wanted to move on and Cummings who we sold, these players are all playing at a level well below where we currently aspire to be. If these were the best of the best, which other players during that time should have been getting gametime but didn’t?

Back during the real dark days at the tail end of season 2013/14, every week the guys who regularly attended U20’s games were saying we should be playing Andy Black and Ryan Baptie at full back. How they were ready for first team football and couldn’t be any worse than the experienced players we were playing. Andy Black plays for Cowdenbeath and Ryan Baptie plays for Penicuik. Turns out that folk aren’t actually that good at judging who is ready to play first team football. Except a solitary Premiership appearance for Black, neither has played above League 1 level.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?281078-Ryan-Baptie-and-Andrew-Black

neilmachibs
28-05-2023, 02:53 PM

It feels like promising youth players are overly nurtured and held back these days . Could well be looking back with misty nostalgia( no stats to prove my point)but it feels like they are held back from making the jump up.
What’s people’s opinion on young O’Connor ? I thought he might have broken through by now. Only seen him infrequently, looks talented but a lot slighter than his old boy. . Hope he toughens up next season.

Stairway 2 7
28-05-2023, 03:34 PM
and those young players who weren’t getting a game during that time went on to do what exactly?

We gave a lot of gametime during that period to Stanton, Handling, Harris, Forster, Caldwell, Cummings, Booth, Shaw and Wotherspoon. With the exception of Wotherspoon who wanted to move on and Cummings who we sold, these players are all playing at a level well below where we currently aspire to be. If these were the best of the best, which other players during that time should have been getting gametime but didn’t?

Back during the real dark days at the tail end of season 2013/14, every week the guys who regularly attended U20’s games were saying we should be playing Andy Black and Ryan Baptie at full back. How they were ready for first team football and couldn’t be any worse than the experienced players we were playing. Andy Black plays for Cowdenbeath and Ryan Baptie plays for Penicuik. Turns out that folk aren’t actually that good at judging who is ready to play first team football. Except a solitary Premiership appearance for Black, neither has played above League 1 level.

That's a good thread ha. Get them started, can't be worse than we have...

Probably similar threads for kane O'connor, Connor Young and Kurtis Byrne

Since90+2
28-05-2023, 03:37 PM
100% I'd have had him in the team over the last few months ahead of McKirdy.

The Modfather
28-05-2023, 03:41 PM

It’s a fair argument. I don’t think we’ve let anyone go we have particularly regretted in that time. Which begs the question as to whether we get enough benefit for what our youth academy costs, but that’s another argument for another thread.

How much wastage has there been in that period in terms of squad fillers and short term signings? Take this season for example, how much stronger could the first team have been if we didn’t spend money on Bojang, Tavares, McKirdy & Devlin and promoted Laidkaw, O’Connor etc instead. Even if we similarly had little to no intention of using them, that money saved might have signed a midfielder that addressed more of our many issues there.

PHeffernan
28-05-2023, 04:41 PM
It’s a fair argument. I don’t think we’ve let anyone go we have particularly regretted in that time. Which begs the question as to whether we get enough benefit for what our youth academy costs, but that’s another argument for another thread.

How much wastage has there been in that period in terms of squad fillers and short term signings? Take this season for example, how much stronger could the first team have been if we didn’t spend money on Bojang, Tavares, McKirdy & Devlin and promoted Laidkaw, O’Connor etc instead. Even if we similarly had little to no intention of using them, that money saved might have signed a midfielder that addressed more of our many issues there.

Transfer fees received for Cummings, Porteous, Doig, Young and now Laidlaw will have paid academy costs. We also made money from the Under 19's playing in Europe this season.

Of the players you mention the signings of McKirdy and Tavares are looking like expensive mistakes.
Bojang and Devlin were brought in to look at them which makes sense.

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2023, 06:15 PM
If youngsters are going to be given a chance, it can't be 45 minutes at Falkirk and fans still moaning about it 9 months later. They'll need to play and be allowed to make mistakes. I remember Hibs.net before we played BSC ****ing Glasgow. ''strongest team'' was the consensus. Laughable. Its a part time side. Same when Hecky rotated in the league cup. We won our group easily and folk were absolutely flapping.

Hibs right now are not a good place for young players IMO. Our fanbase has zero patience. The likes of Motherwell and St Mirren give these guys a proper chance when first choice is injured or off form, whereas we'd have Hibs.net in meltdown demanding answers as to why we don't have 4 ready made players for each position. Marshall has been chucking them in for weeks and we haven't given Johnston a game. Its embarrassing.

I don't blame him for leaving. He or someone else from the dev side should've had the minutes Tavares, McKirdy and Bojang were getting.

Hibiza
28-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Don't want to stay . 👋

BILLYHIBS
28-05-2023, 06:26 PM
If youngsters are going to be given a chance, it can't be 45 minutes at Falkirk and fans still moaning about it 9 months later. They'll need to play and be allowed to make mistakes. I remember Hibs.net before we played BSC ****ing Glasgow. ''strongest team'' was the consensus. Laughable. Its a part time side. Same when Hecky rotated in the league cup. We won our group easily and folk were absolutely flapping.

Hibs right now are not a good place for young players IMO. Our fanbase has zero patience. The likes of Motherwell and St Mirren give these guys a proper chance when first choice is injured or off form, whereas we'd have Hibs.net in meltdown demanding answers as to why we don't have 4 ready made players for each position. Marshall has been chucking them in for weeks and we haven't given Johnston a game. Its embarrassing.

I don't blame him for leaving. He or someone else from the dev side should've had the minutes Tavares, McKirdy and Bojang were getting.
Good post

wookie70
31-05-2023, 08:25 AM
He has been offered a new deal according to the club this morning

CL0762
31-05-2023, 08:28 AM

They have to, to be eligible for compensation. Even if it’s just £1 more than their previous deal.

CapitalGreen
31-05-2023, 08:32 AM

Of course we have, the club wants him to stay but he wants more £££££

Stokesy's on fire
31-05-2023, 08:40 AM
Could be staying.. interesting

Since90+2
31-05-2023, 08:51 AM
Transfer fees received for Cummings, Porteous, Doig, Young and now Laidlaw will have paid academy costs. We also made money from the Under 19's playing in Europe this season.

Of the players you mention the signings of McKirdy and Tavares are looking like expensive mistakes.
Bojang and Devlin were brought in to look at them which makes sense.

Cummings didn't come through our academy setup.

MrSmith
31-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Given some of the eyewatering performances from some of the 'pros' in the team, I'd've loved to see some of the youngsters coming through! At the very least they would be trying their all for the us. We need to get back to identity where we see players coming through not just unknowns fitted into our team. Makes me shudder thinking about the amount of p**s and soft as s**t players we have added in the last few years!

Jones28
31-05-2023, 09:18 AM
Interesting, if the club were offering a contract purely to get the development fee we needn't have announced it. I'd say we're offering him a deal to stay.

wookie70
31-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Interesting, if the club were offering a contract purely to get the development fee we needn't have announced it. I'd say we're offering him a deal to stay.

That was my hopeful take on it, but that is mostly because I want him to stay rather than any knowledge I have of teh situation

McGruber
31-05-2023, 09:45 AM

It'll just be the protocol for compensation, a deal has to be offered and turned down to get money for him.

A bit deflating thinking a year or so ago seemed we had some cracking young forwards coming through the youth set up in Laidlaw, Young and O'Connor. Not suggesting any of them would or wouldn't be good enough for 1st team, was just good to have a buzz of anticipation. Hope we see some more of the youngsters next year

Jones28
31-05-2023, 10:10 AM
It'll just be the protocol for compensation, a deal has to be offered and turned down to get money for him.

A bit deflating thinking a year or so ago seemed we had some cracking young forwards coming through the youth set up in Laidlaw, Young and O'Connor. Not suggesting any of them would or wouldn't be good enough for 1st team, was just good to have a buzz of anticipation. Hope we see some more of the youngsters next year

Yes it does, but if it was a taken gesture in order to get the dev fee why announce it to the world? It would just be getting peoples hopes up that he might stay.

My suspicion is we've offered him improved terms to try and get him to stick around.

Spudster
31-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Given some of the eyewatering performances from some of the 'pros' in the team, I'd've loved to see some of the youngsters coming through! At the very least they would be trying their all for the us. We need to get back to identity where we see players coming through not just journeymen and unknowns fitted into our team. Makes me shudder thinking about the amount of p**s and soft as s**t players we have added in the last few years!

We were second for most fouls committed in the league this season. We have been criticised for signing too many young players so your journeymen comment is way off too IMO.

MrSmith
31-05-2023, 10:20 AM
We were second for most fouls committed in the league this season. We have been criticised for signing too many young players so your journeymen comment is way off too IMO.

it is a that and edited post.

J-C
31-05-2023, 10:22 AM

Pretty sure he's already been offered a deal but knocked it back, this will be an improved one to try and keep him.

McGruber
31-05-2023, 10:28 AM
Yes it does, but if it was a taken gesture in order to get the dev fee why announce it to the world? It would just be getting peoples hopes up that he might stay.

My suspicion is we've offered him improved terms to try and get him to stick around.

Ah okay, hope you're right then and there's a chance he reconsiders

Tambo
31-05-2023, 10:28 AM
Hmmm interesting development in the Laidlaw situation.

Not getting my hopes up that he will commit himself to the club and will just wait and see.

JohnM1875
31-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Maybe we've guaranteed him some game time if he stays. Won't be getting that at Watford any time soon.

Smartie
31-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Doesn't this smack a bit of "so you're telling me there's a chance?"

He's gone. We need to offer him something to scrape a few quid out of Watford. That's the end of it.

Surely?

Donegal Hibby
31-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Article i read saying Laidlaw close to completing his move to Watford with a fee around £250,000 agreed.
It's not a bad amount of money imo .

HIBS NUTS
01-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Article i read saying Laidlaw close to completing his move to Watford with a fee around £250,000 agreed.

We are due a development fee only, as he’s now out of contract, but was offered a contract, generally these are based on how many years he’s been at the club..
I would imagine this figure, would be no we’re near £250,000.
Scottish football Journalism is lazy, i think this figure was being banneded about, when he was still under contract.😞

Not In The Know
01-06-2023, 07:18 PM

Im struggling to get my head around how we can get that for an 18 year old striker who has been nowhere near the first team. Surely if he was that decent at that age he'd be on the bench at least?

Since452
01-06-2023, 07:20 PM
Im struggling to get my head around how we can get that for an 18 year old striker who has been nowhere near the first team. Surely if he was that decent at that age he'd be on the bench at least?

Small change for clubs down there. Probably the equivalent to us paying 25k for a young player or less!

CapitalGreen
01-06-2023, 07:36 PM
We are due a development fee only, as he’s now out of contract, but was offered a contract, generally these are based on how many years he’s been at the club..
I would imagine this figure, would be no we’re near £250,000.
Scottish football Journalism is lazy, i think this figure was being banneded about, when he was still under contract.😞

The FIFA training compensation calculator suggests €185k which would be about €220k including VAT.

CapitalGreen
01-06-2023, 07:40 PM

Dun Utd had to pay Rangers £170k + VAT in 2014 for Charlie Telfer who’d only played 22 minutes of League One football for Rangers.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2023, 08:04 PM

Did we not pay a similar fee for Reuben McAllister?

easty
01-06-2023, 08:07 PM
Did we not pay a similar fee for Reuben McAllister?

I forgot we had him, but aye I remember that was around the fee quoted at the time. He's 17 year old, any chance of him getting any first team football or is he nowhere near ready? Anyone know?

HIBS NUTS
01-06-2023, 08:10 PM
I forgot we had him, but aye I remember that was around the fee quoted at the time. He's 17 year old, any chance of him getting any first team football or is he nowhere near ready? Anyone know?

Nowere near the first team, he’s still young.👍🏻

HIBS NUTS
01-06-2023, 08:11 PM
The FIFA training compensation calculator suggests €185k which would be about €220k including VAT.

Great information
thanks.👍🏻
Is that because he’s been at hibs since a very young age.

Stubbsy90+2
01-06-2023, 08:12 PM

Based purely on looking at him I’d be stunned if he makes an appearance next year. He’s tiny.

CapitalGreen
01-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Great information
thanks.👍🏻
Is that because he’s been at hibs since a very young age.

That was based on him being at the club since he was 12, has he been with us that long?

Brooster
01-06-2023, 08:24 PM

He's improved in the 18s but in my opinion he isn't even near the Development team never mind the first team.

Brooster
01-06-2023, 08:26 PM
Doesn't this smack a bit of "so you're telling me there's a chance?"

He's gone. We need to offer him something to scrape a few quid out of Watford. That's the end of it.

Surely?

Aye signing a long deal at Watford then going out on loan.

HIBS NUTS
01-06-2023, 08:29 PM
That was based on him being at the club since he was 12, has he been with us that long?

I think he’s been here even longer than 12.
i might be wrong. 👍🏻

Gmack7
01-06-2023, 08:31 PM

I think he's been 10 years or more at hibs

CapitalGreen
01-06-2023, 08:35 PM
I think he’s been here even longer than 12.
i might be wrong. 👍🏻

I think he's been 10 years or more at hibs

👍 thanks. Compensation amounts are calculated based on training from 12th birthday onwards.

offshorehibby
06-07-2023, 06:51 PM
Sorry if i've missed something on another thread but what's the news on young Laidlaw?

HIBS NUTS
06-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Sorry if i've missed something on another thread but what's the news on young Laidlaw?

Only news is he is out of contract now.
Hasent played in any games, but has been watching as a fan.
Hasent signed for anyone else yet.
As far as i have heard.
Mabye others know better. 👍🏻

bingo70
06-07-2023, 09:26 PM
Only news is he is out of contract now.
Hasent played in any games, but has been watching as a fan.
Hasent signed for anyone else yet.
As far as i have heard.
Mabye others know better. 👍🏻

Been training with Falkirk, no suggestion he’s signing for them though.

Apparently strictly speaking not out of contract at Hibs but is on a sort of rolling deal, I’m not sure the technicalities of that or how it works though.

HIBS NUTS
06-07-2023, 09:33 PM
Been training with Falkirk, no suggestion he’s signing for them though.

Apparently strictly speaking not out of contract at Hibs but is on a sort of rolling deal, I’m not sure the technicalities of that or how it works though.

Can’t be any chance of falkirk paying the hefty development fee.
thanks for the update.

Brooster
07-07-2023, 08:23 AM
He's been training with Brentford this week.

Ronniekirk
07-07-2023, 08:43 AM
So he hasn’t signed with any club so far then Cleary confident that he will get another club but seems strange to not have had this sorted Out before now

Lago
07-07-2023, 08:44 AM
Thought Watford was a "done deal"?

Fanforlife
07-07-2023, 08:47 AM
I posted about 10 days ago that Watford deal was dead and Brentford were now on scene, looks like information i got was bang on if he is training with them. Recent talks with Ben must have not came to anything then.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Who is this laddies agent out of interest?

Greenworld
07-07-2023, 09:42 AM
Who is this laddies agent out of interest?I thought I read somewhere his dad

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
07-07-2023, 06:12 PM

Did we not lose another promising youngster to Brentford a few years ago, who then disappeared into obscurity down there? A centre half if I remember correctly.

hibee1875
07-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Did we not lose another promising youngster to Brentford a few years ago, who then disappeared into obscurity down there? A centre half if I remember correctly.

O’Kane?

Big_Franck
07-07-2023, 06:29 PM
O’Kane?

Sounded about right, so I googled it. It was Kane O'Connor. He left Brentford and has since played for Tranent and has just signed for Berwick Rangers for next season. Laidlaw might end up taking a similar path if he leaves. Other youngsters that left us believing in their ability seemed to have disappeared as well.

500miles
07-07-2023, 06:29 PM
O’Kane?

Kane O'connor, now tearing it up for the mighty Tranent Juniors I think.

StarMan10
07-07-2023, 06:36 PM

Edited as can see others have answered.

From my limited viewing of Laidlaw, he seems like a real talent with good feet and bags of confidence on the ball. Just hope he’s not been getting bad advice and taking a poor career turn. Should really be signed with a club right now getting a good pre-season to kick on. Hope he gets something sorted soon.