PDA

View Full Version : Daz retires

Mon Dieu4
24-05-2023, 11:18 AM
Just read that Darren McGregor is retiring at the end of this season and will take over the under 18s

Well done on an amazing career you big sexy bassa

hibee_girl
24-05-2023, 11:19 AM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/darren-mcgregor-set-to-retire

He’s going to deliver the match ball tonight so get there early.

Dmas
24-05-2023, 11:21 AM
Absolutely love big Daz a club legend gave everything every game and you could see he loved it.

Has evans moved on or is daz working alongside him in this role? The article doesn’t even mention Evans wondering if I’ve missed something, also whilst asking questions on academy is Eddie may still around?

Smartie
24-05-2023, 11:28 AM
Whenever we feel tempted to turn our noses up at signing a player who is 30 or so it will be worth remembering the impact McGregor has had at Hibs.

His playing style has been a great foil for the likes of Ambrose, Hanlon and Porteous over the years and it's been good to see him take this forward with the young lads.

A top notch signing and someone who fully deserves to be held in the high regard he does.

Iconic Daz moment - between the final whistle celebration when we won the cup and that "tackle" against Asteras where we left every single bit of contact possible on their prominent player, who promptly turned into a pussycat as we turned the game in our favour. Or maybe the goal at Raith in the Scottish Cup, without which the story of our recent years might have turned out differently?

I know he had his injuries but I find it a bit perplexing that a player who ended up as good as he did took so long to get going, only pitching up at St Mirren relatively late in his career? What was he like as a teenager or in his early twenties?

Diclonius
24-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Honestly can't remember the last time he gave the ball away.

.Sean.
24-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Honestly can't remember the last time he gave the ball away.
Was coming on here to post that 😂

McGregor is a 100% undisputed Hibs legend and who knows maybe a future Hibs manager

Pretty Boy
24-05-2023, 11:39 AM
Every Hibs player should be that good looking. It should be a key part of our recruitment process.

Daz was lucky that he has a fair bit ability as well of course but Hibs players should look effortlessly attractive and suave. Maybe 1 or 2 ugly ducklings if they have exceptional ability but as a club we should aspire to sign more Darren McGregors.

hibbydog
24-05-2023, 11:48 AM
He let out a brilliant 'yaaasssss' when it was his turn to lift the cup. Pure passion.

Since90+2
24-05-2023, 11:49 AM
Whenever we feel tempted to turn our noses up at signing a player who is 30 or so it will be worth remembering the impact McGregor has had at Hibs.

His playing style has been a great foil for the likes of Ambrose, Hanlon and Porteous over the years and it's been good to see him take this forward with the young lads.

A top notch signing and someone who fully deserves to be held in the high regard he does.

Iconic Daz moment - between the final whistle celebration when we won the cup and that "tackle" against Asteras where we left every single bit of contact possible on their prominent player, who promptly turned into a pussycat as we turned the game in our favour. Or maybe the goal at Raith in the Scottish Cup, without which the story of our recent years might have turned out differently?

I know he had his injuries but I find it a bit perplexing that a player who ended up as good as he did took so long to get going, only pitching up at St Mirren relatively late in his career? What was he like as a teenager or in his early twenties?

Darren never really took football that seriously until a bit later in life. That goes for supporting and playing, he was always a Hibs fan but never really took a huge interest in the results ect.

Danny Lennon going to St Mirren was his big break, Lennon had him at Cowdenbeath and then took him to Paisley. The likelihood is he'd never have become a professional footballer if Lennon never got that gig. Sliding doors moment as they say.

gbhibby
24-05-2023, 11:56 AM

Why! he never gives the ball away.

Kato
24-05-2023, 11:58 AM
That moment he body slammed (fairly) Perry Kitchen at Tynie sums him up for me.

Hibs through and through and lovely guy. Love 'um.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

24-05-2023, 12:07 PM
Don Cowie's ribs haven't been the same since.

https://i.ibb.co/n6B8cGk/nintchdbpict0003011741541.webp (https://ibb.co/8Nb45C8)

Thanks Daz for everything and good luck with the coaching.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-05-2023, 12:16 PM

How? He never gives the ball away

MagicSwirlingShip
24-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Why! he never gives the ball away.

Haha

B.H.F.C
24-05-2023, 12:18 PM
What a man. Someone who properly appreciated playing for Hibs. We could be doing with more like him.

wookie70
24-05-2023, 12:22 PM
A top player and legend. He has deserved every bit of success and brilliant he has found a role at the club

Johnny_Leith
24-05-2023, 12:25 PM
They don't make 'em like Daz anymore. Hibs legend.

Stubbsy90+2
24-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Played to his strengths and was an outstanding centre half because of it.

Good luck Daz.

hibby rae
24-05-2023, 12:46 PM
Without a doubt the most beautiful man to ever play in Scottish football

*Sploosh

JamesHFC
24-05-2023, 12:54 PM
Brilliant footballer and a brilliant man. So humble. All the best Daz, legend. 💚

Scotty Leither
24-05-2023, 12:57 PM
The blood-curling yell he let out when it was his turn to lift the Cup.

Half the Hibs team turned round to see who it was…his fair but robust challenge on Cowie in the Derby which left Cowie taking painkillers for a week should also be shown to every Hibs player before that fixture.

Darren McGregor, Hibernian warrior.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2023, 01:04 PM
That tackle on Haring 0.42

Thanks for the memories big man

https://youtu.be/JazYsV2kQNE

GRA
24-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Born and bred Hibee from Leith who helped us to the holy grail. What is not to love!

Total gentleman who comes across as really eloquent in interviews as well.

All the best with your retirement Daz. Forever a legend in green and white!

:flag:

zlatan
24-05-2023, 01:53 PM
When he absolutely bodied the Asteras player at Easter Road :not worth

nonshinyfinish
24-05-2023, 01:55 PM

…yet somehow still won a free kick.

Baader
24-05-2023, 02:43 PM
100% Hibs legend.

Outstanding servant to our club. Just wish we'd signed him earlier in his career but you can't have everything.

Would love to see him manage us sometime.

superfurryhibby
24-05-2023, 02:52 PM

That guy was a total ****** as well, big Daz melted him.

Great defender, whole hearted performer, total respect for the fans and the club. He's had a good career for someone late to the game.

Highwayman
24-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Neil Lennon said when he was manager he wished he had team full of Darren McGregors for his aggressiveness,determination and will to win.

Didn’t always agree with Lennon,but was 100% with him on that one.

Good luck for the future THE GREAT DAZ.

kentao
24-05-2023, 03:12 PM
The tackle at 3:08 is exactly the fight and desire that the squad has been missing for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoyVhpLklk

Thanks for everything Daz

hibee-boys
24-05-2023, 03:36 PM

😂…..remember that well.

Tambo
24-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Gave his all for Hibs and glad he will still be around the club for advice etc.

Get him on the bench tonight and get him on at the end regardless of the score.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2023, 05:50 PM
Wish him all the best, gave us some truly inspiring performances. Right up there with some of the great defenders we've had in my time.

A Hibby who lived the dream.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
24-05-2023, 07:09 PM
Daz called me during lockdown and we spoke for a good hour, he couldn’t have been nicer or more personable and it was a real morale boost during a tough time.

He then went on to become the first interviewee on the hibs.net podcast when we were doing that, coming straight from a full day of training to talk to us, with nothing to gain from it himself. Still, no complaints, friendly, charming, and sincere. Just a really, really great guy.

All of that comes before mentioning what an incredible player he’s been. A living Hibs legend and an exemplary role model for any young player learning their trade. They don’t make many like Daz.

Happy retirement, you Leith Adonis.

Tambo
24-05-2023, 07:44 PM
A nice touch from Hibs for Mcgregor to get some sort of send of from the fans.

hibee-boys
24-05-2023, 09:29 PM
I think Miller was channeling some of the Mcgregor spirit on the pitch this evening, a very Daz like physical performance.

McD
24-05-2023, 09:39 PM
A nice touch from Hibs for Mcgregor to get some sort of send of from the fans.

yeah I agree, very classy touch to announce it today ahead of the final home game, so he gets a chance to take the crowd’s acclaim.

fantastic player, Hibee through and through, I’m genuinely struggling to think of a centre back for Hibs (at least in my lifetime) that I’d pick ahead of him.