PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 13 05 23)

Jonnyboy
13-05-2023, 06:20 PM
Ahead of today’s game I had told myself I’d be happy with a draw, given Aberdeen’s run of form and the fact that they were difficult to overcome at Pittodrie, but at the final whistle I was left feeling deflated because we could and should have won rather than having to settle for a point in a goalless draw. Hitting the frame of the goal three times and missing a penalty whilst watching David Marshall having to make just one testing save over the ninety minutes gives a fair indication of how things panned out.

With Doyle-Hayes out injured, Hibs made one change to the starting eleven with Josh Campbell drafted into midfield and it was visitors that started on the front foot with Newell drawing a foul from Scales inside the first couple of minutes. Scales was rightly booked for that challenge and from the resultant free kick, the Aberdeen defender conceded a corner which led to another after Coulson had to knock the ball behind with Youan in close attendance. Fouls by both Campbell and Newell halted the progress of Duk and Miovski as the Dons tried to out of their own half.

From a Cadden cross, Nisbet drew a save from Roos and a few minutes later, Campbell’s cross was sliced wide by Newell. The home fans, in buoyant mood pre match as they celebrated Aberdeen’s anniversary of winning the European Cup Winners Cup, were already starting to get a bit restless as Hibs maintained their front foot approach whilst starving the home strikers of any sights on goal. A Youan shot was saved by Roos and then at the other end, Miovski sent a headed attempt well wide of the target. Matthew Pollock downed Youan and conceded a free kick and it was apparent that Elie was right in the mood today following signing his permanent contract with the club.

A weak Pollock header flew into the safe hands of Marshall and moments later, a fantastic piece of skill from Youan set him free down the left. Elie looked up and fired a low cross into the near post which Nisbet reached but the ball hit Roos and went wide. For reasons known only to him, referee Nick Walsh awarded a goal kick. Hibs were definitely the dominant side and Aberdeen were struggling to contain them and the hosts had Roos to thank for still being level, but the keeper was rooted to the spot five minutes from the break when Nisbet arrowed a shot with the outside of his right foot and then had his head in his hands as the effort flew just past the far post. Moments before that, Newell got his predictable yellow card for a foul on Coulson. Just before half time, Coulson came close with a volleyed effort that cleared the crossbar and so the sides went in level, Hibs perhaps frustrated at not being ahead.

Aberdeen were always likely to come out swinging in the second half and for a brief period they enjoyed more possession than Hibs but never looked likely to cause the visitors any problems. Five minutes in, Elie Youan struck a fierce shot goalwards, but the ball struck the post and was cleared away before anyone in green could react. Soon after, Josh Campbell was booked for a high boot challenge and injured himself in the process. A Pollock header sailed harmlessly over Marshall’s bar before Cadden found space down the right and cut the ball back from the byeline where Campbell slid in trying to make contact but sliced his left footed connection past the post. Josh was limping a bit and was soon replaced by Henderson.

Hibs were piling it on now and had Aberdeen defending in depth as Nisbet had a shot blocked and then Youan was through on goal but as he made to shoot, Macdonald got in a late block to deny the Hibs man a goal. The ball fell to Henderson who set up Newell near the edge of the box where Joe made a bit of space for a shot but curled the effort beyond the far post. Jeggo then set up Youan again, but Roos tipped the strikers shot around the post. From the resultant corner, Youan’s head flick struck the bar and the ball fell to substitute McKirdy at the back post. Harry struck the ball well and a goal looked certain as Roos was on the ground, but the ball struck Coulson on his elbow/upper arm and following a lengthy VAR review a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Kevin Nisbet who chose to drive the ball down the middle, but that ball struck the diving Roos on the leg and flew to safety. Kev chose to go down the middle but should surely have gone higher as what happened is always a risk if you go low.

As time ran down, Hibs still looked the likelier to score but the disappointment of that penalty miss loomed large as both McKirdy and Egan-Riley earned bookings in taking one for the team. Moving in to seven added minutes, neither side really created chances and so had to settle for a point a piece.

Given the result in Paisley, a win at Pittodrie would have been huge for Hibs as they strive to finish in a European place, but it was not to be.

The players

Marshall – Had only one save of any note to make and kept goal well throughout.

Edan-Riley – Looked solid throughout and barely put a foot wrong.

Fish – Commanding in the air and positive on the ground with his distribution.

Hanlon – Rarely troubled and when he was, he dealt with it.

Stevenson – Lewis just keeps churning out high quality performances. Both he and Egan-Riley pretty much nullified any threat from the lively Duk.

Cadden – I’m much happier when Chris plays in front of Egan-Riley and feel he’s better there than at full back.

Campbell – A smidgen quicker and he’d have caught Cadden’s cut back just right.

Newell – Always involved and always looking to push the team forward.

Youan – Outstanding and so unlucky not to grab at least one goal. My man of the match.

Nisbet – Por choice regarding the penalty and he’ll be only too aware of that.

Henderson – Contributed well and made decent use of the ball.

McKirdy – Watch his shot in slow motion at the penalty incident as the ball was net bound until the deflection. So unlucky for him.

Lee Johnson – I’m sure will be proud of his players, mixed with regrets that we couldn’t get the three points our performance deserved.

Referee – Nick Walsh was fine, and you won’t catch me saying that very often.

Tambo
13-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Thought Egan-Riley played really well again, kind of like a RB Lewis Stevenson.

Again Youan our main threat and was unlucky not to have a goal but thought he maybe should of hit the one chance in the second half when he tried to open his body with his left as it gave the defender to much time to recover.

Bostonhibby
13-05-2023, 06:32 PM
How it felt and looked for me today was like a typical Hibs day.

I'm having trouble criticising anything in terms of the game performance and individual players based on what I watched.

But the minimum we had to achieve to push on was agonisingly missed by the width of the goalposts and an amateur penalty effort followed once again by something highly dubious we couldn't influence happening elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Nicho87
13-05-2023, 07:26 PM
Just watched Barry robsons interview on red tv.

Jesus wept very condescending and nothing positive about hibs.

To quote

They were a team that needed to win and were at their maximum , we were at our lowest, so to get a clean sheet bla bla.

Something about robson that I just don’t like.

Been quite a smart arse with the press interviews.

Rob McLean should retire also, worst commentator going.

JimBHibees
13-05-2023, 07:39 PM

To quote

They were a team that needed to win and were at their maximum , we were at our lowest, so to get a clean sheet bla bla.

To be fair Robson has always been a bit of a kok.. Think it goes south with him in charge.

LewysGot2
13-05-2023, 07:42 PM
Was there anything Hibs on Radio Scotland? Put it on in the car after the game and nothing was said? Got to the car not long after the end of the game so couldn't work it out. Subjected ourselves to Levein, Stewart and Co until 7pm and nothing.

Unseen work
13-05-2023, 07:44 PM

To quote

Robson won’t be in a job come Christmas.

He’s had an unbelievable run, but I just can’t see him doing well long term

Comes across smug and when they start losing the way he comes across all of s sudden won’t come across as well.

He’s also relied massively on Duk magic

Billy Whizz
13-05-2023, 07:45 PM
Was there anything Hibs on Radio Scotland? Put it on in the car after the game and nothing was said? Got to the car not long after the end of the game so couldn't work it out. Subjected ourselves to Levein, Stewart and Co until 7pm and nothing.

I was disappointed too. Got in the car around 5.10pm, and no Hibs or Aberdeen manager interviews. Never heard one from Naismith either, not that I’m bothered with listening to him

LewysGot2
13-05-2023, 07:47 PM
The tone was set early on re sorting out Duk when Lewy bossed him in one of their counter attacks. Put him in his place and marshalled him well throughout

SteveHFC
13-05-2023, 07:49 PM
Was in car just after 5 and listened all way home not a peep about us. New format is just crap

LewysGot2
13-05-2023, 07:52 PM
Was in car just after 5 and listened all way home not a peep about us. New format is just crap

I just felt totally cheated. Looked at the clock a 6 57pm thinking aww nut we've still to hear "Christie's 3rd song choice" and I've wasted 2 hours of my life listening to keech in the vain hope I'd hear wee Lee

Since452
13-05-2023, 08:15 PM
My take is that Aberdeen are in trouble next season with Robson in charge.

Leith Green
13-05-2023, 08:19 PM
My take is that Aberdeen are in trouble next season with Robson in charge.

Throw in the possibility of them playing every Thursday then sunday for a couple of months .. Every time ive watched them this season , they have looked awful

JohnM1875
14-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Elie Youan was phenomenal yesterday. Such a good performance. What a bit of business it's going to be, definitely make a good bit of money off him.

Greenbeard
14-05-2023, 12:49 PM
I didn't listen to all the post-match stuff but what I did hear was Willie Miller of all people saying Hibs thoroughly deserved a win. If he can say that then you know we absolutely pumped them.