PDA

View Full Version : McKirdy

Pages : [1] 2 3

JamesHFC
06-05-2023, 10:40 PM
Wasn't at the game today unfortunately but heard there was an issue between himself and someone in the Famous Five Lower. Also walked straight down the tunnel when Hoppe came on?

Also just been shown his recent Instagram story, what's all that about? Attitude stinks.

JammyDoidger
06-05-2023, 10:41 PM
I stuck up for him but he's at it again, the social media stuff is no good although I can understand why he's frustrated tbh. He's our player yet hoppe comes on before him.

Helensburghhibs
06-05-2023, 10:45 PM
His constant posting about Chelsea is a but cringey. Full of his own hype also. Wanted him to succeed but time to cut our losses

Lago
06-05-2023, 10:46 PM
I stuck up for him but he's at it again, the social media stuff is no good although I can understand why he's frustrated tbh. He's our player yet hoppe comes on before him.
And Hoppe has done little to impress.

One Day Soon
06-05-2023, 10:49 PM
What’s going on with his social media? I actually feel for the guy, either give him a run to let him establish himself (or fail) or make it clear he’s out.

SteveHFC
06-05-2023, 10:51 PM
https://twitter.com/hibsnews1875/status/1654978765699547136?s=46&t=MW7rW9XsaY_rH0m4EYSRhg

BegbieHSC
06-05-2023, 10:52 PM
Bye Harry. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on your way out

JDT
06-05-2023, 10:56 PM
Wasn't at the game today unfortunately but heard there was an issue between himself and someone in the Famous Five Lower. Also walked straight down the tunnel when Hoppe came on?

Also just been shown his recent Instagram story, what's all that about? Attitude stinks.

He's a melt

One Day Soon
06-05-2023, 11:00 PM
https://twitter.com/hibsnews1875/status/1654978765699547136?s=46&t=MW7rW9XsaY_rH0m4EYSRhg

His post is way too subtle for me. WTF is it supposed to mean?

HarpOnHibee
06-05-2023, 11:04 PM

Appears to be some reference to being benched I think? It seems he doesn't think that he needs to earn his place in the starting XI. Definitely a player who thinks he's far better than he actually is. Good riddance I say.

06-05-2023, 11:05 PM

His version of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/nov/20/gareth-bale-and-that-wales-golf-madrid-flag-real-are-not-amused

HFC93
06-05-2023, 11:07 PM
Mcirdry has shown nothing when he has played. Nowhere near good enough and a bit of a zoomer.

One Day Soon
06-05-2023, 11:08 PM
His version of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/nov/20/gareth-bale-and-that-wales-golf-madrid-flag-real-are-not-amused

Footballers. Rarely the sharpest.

Helensburghhibs
06-05-2023, 11:08 PM
Replying to people, calling them nonces on a public platform also isn't very befitting of someone in his position. I'd like someone like Lewis, dare gray or even big daz to take him aside and explain how he should be conducting himself

Cod Boy
06-05-2023, 11:11 PM
Not sure but looking from afar I think kids wanting him over to pose for photos/autographs pre match warm up. Something must have been said as I assume a dad was having words with him about not coming over.

Diclonius
06-05-2023, 11:14 PM
He'll be away in the summer then.

HarpOnHibee
06-05-2023, 11:14 PM
Replying to people, calling them nonces on a public platform also isn't very befitting of someone in his position. I'd like someone like Lewis, dare gray or even big daz to take him aside and explain how he should be conducting himself

I'd like Lee Johnson to pull him to the side and explain why he's never going to play football in a Hibs top again. I can just about tolerate players with a bit of attitude about them as long as they can back it up on the pitch. He has a whole lot of attitude and a whole lot of nothing when it comes to talent on a football pitch. Hibernian FC isn't a daycare centre.

Keepthefaith
06-05-2023, 11:15 PM
Daft laddie, will never make it big in the game and should have his arse kicked back to league 2 and free up space for Laidlaw. I hope we don't see him anywhere near the first team again

Baader
06-05-2023, 11:28 PM
Contributed the square root of FA in his time here and going by that the guy thinks he's some sort of level above. All that can be concluded so far is he a loose cannon with an over inflated opinion of himself because he knocked in a few goals at a lower level. Don't like the implications of that.

Taking cue from someone like Bale is simply embarrassing and delusional and he'd do well to remember who pays his wages.

Would imagine that's time up. Not his fault we signed him but the club certainly don't owe him a start.

To be honest, I didn't mind him before seeing that and hoped he'd come good despite thinking he probably wasn't up to much but disrespect Hibs and you can do one. Get rid of this joker.

Vault Boy
06-05-2023, 11:29 PM
He’s a pathetic little weirdo who was and will never be good enough to play for a club like ours. The sooner he’s gone, the better. The definition of a wage thief.

Unseen work
06-05-2023, 11:31 PM
Can’t moan about Hoppe going on ahead of him - he’s done far more than him in a Hibs shirt.

Re his Instagram post though I actually think it’s meant to be a positive about things he likes

Chelsea, Nina (girlfriend), Golf and hibs

Unseen work
06-05-2023, 11:32 PM

Think the rumour was he hit someone with one of his shots in the warm up, Dan started shouting and he gave it back and then sulked

Speedy
06-05-2023, 11:32 PM
He's 26 and only had 1 good season in his career, and even that was at league 2.

Absolute *****.

Vault Boy
06-05-2023, 11:38 PM
Can’t moan about Hoppe going on ahead of him - he’s done far more than him in a Hibs shirt.

Re his Instagram post though I actually think it’s meant to be a positive about things he likes

Chelsea, Nina (girlfriend), Golf and hibs

Nah, it’s a clear reference to the Gareth Bale flag fiasco. Why else would he post a picture of a bench on his story? The guy is a rat.

Unseen work
06-05-2023, 11:44 PM
Nah, it’s a clear reference to the Gareth Bale flag fiasco. Why else would he post a picture of a bench on his story? The guy is a rat.

The bench part yes but I half think he’s poking fun at himself.

Don’t think there’s a huge amount in the post, bigger issue is he’s hopeless

Edit - Just saw the Bale reference. Even if it has been done in order of importance or whatever I really struggle to care. He’s a 26 year old attention seeker who doesn’t score goals or assist, he can hardly stay on his feet and when he does he commits a pointless foul.

JohnM1875
06-05-2023, 11:47 PM
He's ****. Just nowhere good enough to play at this level. Not entirely his fault. He could apply himself more for sure. But he won't be the last player to fail up here.

No doubt he'll move on and score a few goals in league one and two and speak poorly about his time here. Whatever.

ErinGoBraghHFC
06-05-2023, 11:58 PM
I truly believe he’s no all there. It’s like the lights are on (but flickering going off the weird as **** nature of his instagram posts) but the family who lived there have moved out and left the cat locked in the house pissing and ****ting everywhere. ****in bizarre behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
07-05-2023, 12:00 AM
The lad needs a goal followed by a celebration with an outpouring of emotion that his teammates, supporters and management can unite behind.

Torto7
07-05-2023, 12:13 AM
He's pish and in denial. He'd be better off down in League 2 where he can pretend he's better than he is. If he wants to make it at our level he needs to realise a summer spent in the gym and a better attitude might be the building blocks of something rather than sulking like a bairn.

neil7908
07-05-2023, 12:25 AM

Yup. A huge waste of money and the kind of signing (along with Melkersen) that we can't be repeating under the new set up.

He needs to GTF. He's not 18, he's 26 years old and should know much, much better. Bale won 5 Champions Leagues. This boy has had 1 decent season at Swindon.

Real Emerald
07-05-2023, 12:28 AM
He's pish and in denial. He'd be better off down in League 2 where he can pretend he's better than he is. If he wants to make it at our level he needs to realise a summer spent in the gym and a better attitude might be the building blocks of something rather than sulking like a bairn.

Agree

Northernhibee
07-05-2023, 05:18 AM
Hoppe has shown he can find the back of the net.

jakedance
07-05-2023, 05:23 AM
I think he hit someone with a very wayward shot in the warm up. He didn’t really acknowledge it or check they were ok, and took dogs abuse from one guy in particular, then went in a bit of a huff about it. Then he made a half arsed attempt to sign a couple of autographs but made a hasty retreat. I couldn’t hear what was being said from where I was but no one looked great.

Seems like a guy that isn’t happy at the club and doesn’t know how to build a rapport with the support. We’ve also got more than our fair share of dickheads that are quick to criticise. He looks like an emotional lad that’s lost his confidence. It’s probably best for everyone if he moves on and gets a fresh start somewhere else.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2023, 06:06 AM
I think that post is just a joke - not really something to get annoyed about.

But he’s hopeless at this level and that’s not going to change. Night and day with Hoppe by the way who has actually contributed goal involvements and has a vastly better CV

Brightside
07-05-2023, 07:04 AM
Not fussed about his socials. He’s a man child and nowhere near the level mentally or physically to play for Hibs.

Smartie
07-05-2023, 07:06 AM
I’m not sure he has the emotional intelligence to make it at Hibs.

Bobby's Cinema
07-05-2023, 07:06 AM
If the manager thinks he's not good enough for us to come on in a scenario like yesterday when the game is stretched and we need fresh legs and a bit of an outlet, then it's pointless him being here. Offers us nothing.

hibee-boys
07-05-2023, 07:19 AM
Stupid post from McKirdy to one side. From what I’ve seen of them, I think McKirdy does look more creative on the ball than Hoppe but not been that impressed by either of them really. Doubt either will be at the club next season.

theScientist
07-05-2023, 07:20 AM
When warming up he decided to try and hit the empty main goals with two strikes, Needless to say they didn't hit the target and sailed into the kids section. After the first he got abuse from a couple of parents. He then did it again and that angered more parents. He then took that in a bad way and didn't see any need to apologise and was pretty arrogant about it as if to say they should expect the balls coming over. That riled more of the fans. Rocky and josh Campbell came over to apologise. There is a practise goal with. Ig nets for a reason, be was bang out of order, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the next match day squad.

Dashing Bob S
07-05-2023, 07:21 AM
I’m not sure he has the emotional intelligence to make it at Hibs.

Brilliant

Gaffer1875
07-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Said if all along and got slated, never good enough for us and his attitude stinks. Get rid.

Pretty Boy
He's shown **** all on the park and seems to be one of these self appointed 'characters' of it.

He had a decent 20 minutes v Dundee Utd (by the standards he has shown in other games anyway) and it was like he was the second coming for some. He's a journeyman who has had one good season. We shouldn't be wasting another minute with him at the expense of 2 of our own youngsters.

JimBHibees
When warming up he decided to try and hit the empty main goals with two strikes, Needless to say they didn't hit the target and sailed into the kids section. After the first he got abuse from a couple of parents. He then did it again and that angered more parents. He then took that in a bad way and didn't see any need to apologise and was pretty arrogant about it as if to say they should expect the balls coming over. That riled more of the fans. Rocky and josh Campbell came over to apologise. There is a practise goal with. Ig nets for a reason, be was bang out of order, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the next match day squad.

So he is not allowed to practice shooting in the warm up. Responsibility on parents to keep eye out for this you would have thought also.

green day
07-05-2023, 07:30 AM
It says a bit about McKirdy that he couldnt even hit the empty net (twice) in the warmup.

A panic signing, hopefully we wont see that kind of thing happen under the new DoF.

Heisenberg
07-05-2023, 07:32 AM
He’ll surely not be here next season. His attitude seems rotten and he doesn’t have any ability to back it up. The hitting shots over the bar thing is being blown well out of proportion from what I saw though, abuse he got for clipping a shot over the bar in a warm up was crazy. Sit behind a goal you might get hit with the ball 🤷🏻

theScientist
07-05-2023, 07:35 AM
So he is not allowed to practice shooting in the warm up. Responsibility on parents to keep eye out for this you would have thought also.

Practise net there for a reason Jim, before the game you are not watching every ball. Wouldn't say the problem was the ball coming over, it was the absolute lack of responsibility in a wave to say sorry. Absolutely need to practise, but also need to do it into the correct net, but if there is a wayward shot, acknowledge it, give a little check and move on. Not really that difficult is it? That's what the guys were more annoyed about. I was a few rows back from where it hit and both balls came in at a rate, so I'd have been looking for the same decency from any player to be fair. They know its the family section.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2023, 07:37 AM
He desperately wants to play and is frustrated about it. Would hardly say his attitude stinks. He just isn't very good so doesn't play really.

Hibs have wasted a year of his career by making a bad signing. It's rubbish and frustrating for all parties.

Since452
07-05-2023, 07:41 AM
Best for everyone concerned if he left in the summer.

Nicho87
07-05-2023, 07:52 AM
Josh O’Connor and laidlaw must be raging with the manager picking that over giving them valued minutes.

Get rid, brings absolutely nothing to the team, nothing!

Stokesy's on fire
07-05-2023, 07:59 AM
This is how I see it

McKirdy is lashing out because he wants to play he knows it hasn't worked out well and it's hurting him. The boy doesn't want to be classed as a bad signing or a failure and being on the bench only adds to that frustration because you can't turn things round if you aren't on the pitch. One positive from this is we have a player screaming to be on the pitch for us and a player that wants to succeed with us.

BegbieHSC
07-05-2023, 08:00 AM
Yup. A huge waste of money and the kind of signing (along with Melkersen) that we can't be repeating under the new set up.

He needs to GTF. He's not 18, he's 26 years old and should know much, much better. Bale won 5 Champions Leagues. This boy has had 1 decent season at Swindon.

agreed, but Melkersen has done SIGNIFICANTLY more for Hibs than McKirdy, so I wouldn’t be particularly inclined to put them in the same category.

DH1875
07-05-2023, 08:39 AM
Rocky and JC feeling the need to apologise and McKirdy not seemingly giving a duck shows you all the character you need to know

LewysGot2
07-05-2023, 08:39 AM
I think he's definitely been unwise in his social media use. Like he's ignoring the undoubted club policy on such things as his language is not "professional" and his ability to go "all leigh Griffiths" in his interactions with dafties online.

Also think his weird Lampard and Chelsea obsession is rubbing a number of folks up the wrong way. It looks disrespectful at times to the people it winds up. He doesn't understand that, for most Scottish football supporters, their own team is the priority and any interest in an English club is not on the same level. We see other players who have come from big English clubs to us and they don't persist in posting all the time about that club. The professional manner of Will Fish, for example.

He also doesn't realise some Hibs fans will hate his beloved Chelsea and so will probably find it really irritating- they're looking for Hibs content.

All that said though, I think some of our hard of thinking fans have decided baiting him is a game. At Perth, there was an incident near us where some guy thought he was a bit of a wag in shouting abuse at him to try and get a rise. He was showing off to his wee group of adults and kids. It was really cringey and I couldn't wait for McKirdy to be out of his earshot because it was a confrontation waiting to happen. Thankfully McKirdy ignored him but you could see he wasn't comfortable. I mean, when we need to get points, win games and push to the end as THE priority, why do some folk think winding up or provoking a player is beneficial to anyone?

I do think he's unfortunately struggled to adapt. His personality is like a early incarnation of Leigh meets Jason. However, it's not all on him.

No idea about this alleged incident yesterday but we've more important things to focus on right now.

Keepthefaith
07-05-2023, 09:03 AM
I think he's definitely been unwise in his social media use. Like he's ignoring the undoubted club policy on such things as his language is not "professional" and his ability to go "all leigh Griffiths" in his interactions with dafties online.

Also think his weird Lampard and Chelsea obsession is rubbing a number of folks up the wrong way. It looks disrespectful at times to the people it winds up. He doesn't understand that, for most Scottish football supporters, their own team is the priority and any interest in an English club is not on the same level. We see other players who have come from big English clubs to us and they don't persist in posting all the time about that club. The professional manner of Will Fish, for example.

He also doesn't realise some Hibs fans will hate his beloved Chelsea and so will probably find it really irritating- they're looking for Hibs content.

All that said though, I think some of our hard of thinking fans have decided baiting him is a game. At Perth, there was an incident near us where some guy thought he was a bit of a wag in shouting abuse at him to try and get a rise. He was showing off to his wee group of adults and kids. It was really cringey and I couldn't wait for McKirdy to be out of his earshot because it was a confrontation waiting to happen. Thankfully McKirdy ignored him but you could see he wasn't comfortable. I mean, when we need to get points, win games and push to the end as THE priority, why do some folk think winding up or provoking a player is beneficial to anyone?

I do think he's unfortunately struggled to adapt. His personality is like a early incarnation of Leigh meets Jason. However, it's not all on him.

No idea about this alleged incident yesterday but we've more important things to focus on right now.

Absolutely there's no defending abusing him for fun, but for me it relates back to a core part of our recruitment policy that we get the right characters in the club. He's not an 18 year old lad and as such that level of immaturity should be nowhere near our club at his age!

JimBHibees
07-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Practise net there for a reason Jim, before the game you are not watching every ball. Wouldn't say the problem was the ball coming over, it was the absolute lack of responsibility in a wave to say sorry. Absolutely need to practise, but also need to do it into the correct net, but if there is a wayward shot, acknowledge it, give a little check and move on. Not really that difficult is it? That's what the guys were more annoyed about. I was a few rows back from where it hit and both balls came in at a rate, so I'd have been looking for the same decency from any player to be fair. They know its the family section.

Seems perfectly fair response wasn't in the ground when it happened agree most players would put hand up to apologise especially if kids are involved.

LewysGot2
07-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Absolutely there's no defending abusing him for fun, but for me it relates back to a core part of our recruitment policy that we get the right characters in the club. He's not an 18 year old lad and as such that level of immaturity should be nowhere near our club at his age!

There's definitely due diligence needed about recruitment but I wonder if they thought they'd sort that side of him out. All ifs, buts and maybes. I'm not condoning some of his actions but I really think he can be dealt with after the season is done. I suspect he'll ask back down south and his comfort zone...

GreenGray
07-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Take whatever you can get for him and send him straight back down the league 2, if he was a good player you can put up with the “maverick” behaviour but he’s pish and his attitude stinks.

The Spaceman
07-05-2023, 09:52 AM

Very unfair to class Melkersen remotely near McKirdy. Melkersen is very young and has shown glimpses he has got it - he’s absolutely someone who we need to continue nurturing and take it slowly with.

McKirdy on the other hand is exceptionally average despite coming up here with a big reputation and thoughts on himself. Like many from the English lower leagues (and top league as well), he has hugely underestimated the quality of the teams up here. I’d be delighted for all parties if he turned it around for us, but I can’t see it.

Since452
07-05-2023, 09:55 AM
I'm not a fan of Melkersen at all but McKirdy is a veteran compared to him. There is still some hope for Melkersen. McKirdy can't back up his petulant behaviour with anything close to a performance despite having had more than enough chances.

Hibee Daft
07-05-2023, 09:57 AM
I think there is a good player there, but think hes abit of a confidence player and needs a few goals to get going.

All his change of haircuts all seem to be his way getting himself up for the games and being the maverick but ot just hasnt happened for him so far.

I do think Josh O,connor and Ethan Laidlaw shouldve had more chances tho. Especially instead of Bojang

chrisski33
07-05-2023, 10:04 AM
I don't understand why he is getting chosen over some of the younger lads like what others have said. Whats in his contract? Hopefully for all parties he moves on in summer.

eastmainsmsh
07-05-2023, 10:07 AM
He has talent but his attitude appears to be Lillian Gish maybe step up and needs time but he won’t get it here can see him back at Swindon

Dmas
07-05-2023, 10:18 AM
He desperately wants to play and is frustrated about it. Would hardly say his attitude stinks. He just isn't very good so doesn't play really.

Hibs have wasted a year of his career by making a bad signing. It's rubbish and frustrating for all parties.

Hibs haven’t wasted anything of McKirdys, we’ve given him a chance at a higher level with more money in his pocket and probably a flat in the city centre to boot, Mckirdy has came here bold as brass and it’s not worked how he thought it would, does it look as if he’s saw ways to try and improve his game and knuckled down? Doesn’t to me, doesn’t even give the impression he understand the role he’s supposed to be playing when he comes on it’s just aimless running about, he’s wasted the chance we’ve given him and unfortunately we’ll probably have to cut our loses and ship him back down the road, we’re certainly not to blame for his loss of a year

McD
07-05-2023, 10:21 AM
I truly believe he’s no all there. It’s like the lights are on (but flickering going off the weird as **** nature of his instagram posts) but the family who lived there have moved out and left the cat locked in the house pissing and ****ting everywhere. ****in bizarre behaviour.

:not worth Absolutely love the detail you’ve put into this description :faf:

JohnM1875
07-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Tell you what, he might not be good enough for us, who knows really. But he's taking some amount of abuse from Hibs fans on Instagram. Really not sure what the need is or what they hope to achieve.

Bet 3/4 of them wouldn't say a word to his face.

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 10:54 AM
Tell you what, he might not be good enough for us, who knows really. But he's taking some amount of abuse from Hibs fans on Instagram. Really not sure what the need is or what they hope to achieve.

Maybe if he spent less time calling fans who criticise his conduct ‘nonces’ he might earn some sympathy. As it is, the guy frankly has it coming.

JohnM1875
07-05-2023, 11:03 AM
Maybe if he spent less time calling fans who criticise his conduct ‘nonces’ he might earn some sympathy. As it is, the guy frankly has it coming.

He didn't?! 😂

Phil MaGlass
07-05-2023, 11:12 AM

I'm willing to bet most of them would, I certainly would.

Helensburghhibs
07-05-2023, 11:14 AM
He didn't?! 😂

He did yesterday

07-05-2023, 11:21 AM
Attitude stinks. His social media stuff is just petulant and pathetic. I understand he’s frustrated and probably feels he deserves more of a chance but when he has been on he’s done very little to impress.

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Hibs. Scotland. Golf. Bevvy. Juggling. Jigsaws. Concrete. Rain. Mckirdy.

Trinity Hibee
07-05-2023, 11:29 AM

And that’s being generous

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 11:34 AM
And that’s being generous

I was going to add "Farts" and "Vomiting" but it's a Sunday.

SON OF PADDY
07-05-2023, 11:37 AM
I think he hit someone with a very wayward shot in the warm up. He didn’t really acknowledge it or check they were ok, and took dogs abuse from one guy in particular, then went in a bit of a huff about it. Then he made a half arsed attempt to sign a couple of autographs but made a hasty retreat. I couldn’t hear what was being said from where I was but no one looked great.

Seems like a guy that isn’t happy at the club and doesn’t know how to build a rapport with the support. We’ve also got more than our fair share of dickheads that are quick to criticise. He looks like an emotional lad that’s lost his confidence. It’s probably best for everyone if he moves on and gets a fresh start somewhere else.

It's a sad state of affairs, when the coach has to make you go back and apologise to the supporters.

Wanted the boy to do well at hibs, but his heid is up his erse!
Best to move him on,at the end of season.

Lancs Harp
07-05-2023, 11:39 AM
He has a bit of ability but not at the level we need him to be at.
Personality wise lets face it hes a bit left field lets say. Bit of an odd ball.

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 11:57 AM
He didn't?! 😂

He absolutely did, then deleted his comment this morning.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2023, 12:00 PM
He has a bit of ability but not at the level we need him to be at.
Personality wise lets face it hes a bit left field lets say. Bit of an odd ball.

I was quite hearted to see Brian McDermott say character is everything to him in a player (I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it). That should see us avoid another McKirdy. You can carry a player who is a bit 'out there' if he is producing the goods but if he isn't then they are just a liability.

I remember when he signed people found it hilarious he turned up at some awards event down south in a tracksuit and bucket hat despite the fact the dress code was black tie. I was told to lighten up when I said that had alarm bells ringing for me but it's indicative of how he views his job. I get not everyone likes dress codes but if they are in place then they should be followed, not doing so just shows a lack of respect for the event and the club you are there representing.

The incident with the shot at goal yesterday, if it happened as is being described, isn't great either. We all know you might get hit by a ball at the football. When it happens in the warm up though it's common practice for the player to acknowledge it and usually if a child is involved they go over and check everything is ok. To ignore it then smash another ball at the same goal a few seconds later is just another lack of respect.

Of course he is frustrated he isn't playing but really that's a time to knuckle down and force yourself into a position where you can't be ignored. As it is the only reason anyone notices McKirdy is because of his daft haircuts, sleeves pulled over his hands and his social media content. His on field endeavours have been instantly forgettable and if his solution is acting up like a toddler then I come back to the point about McDermott and character. It's not the actions of someone who is the right character for a club looking to better itself and continuously improve.

WhileTheChief..
07-05-2023, 12:04 PM
He’s a pathetic little weirdo who was and will never be good enough to play for a club like ours. The sooner he’s gone, the better. The definition of a wage thief.

Usually you'd get pelters on here for calling a Hibs player that.

Think you'll be safe this time!

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Usually you'd get pelters on here for calling a Hibs player that.

Think you'll be safe this time!

And rightfully so to be fair, I don’t think I’ve ever used the phrase before. I just think it’s apt in this case.

One Day Soon
07-05-2023, 12:10 PM
I was quite hearted to see Brian McDermott say character is everything to him in a player (I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it). That should see us avoid another McKirdy. You can carry a player who is a bit 'out there' if he is producing the goods but if he isn't then they are just a liability.

I remember when he signed people found it hilarious he turned up at some awards event down south in a tracksuit and bucket hat despite the fact the dress code was black tie. I was told to lighten up when I said that had alarm bells ringing for me but it's indicative of how he views his job. I get not everyone likes dress codes but if they are in place then they should be followed, not doing so just shows a lack of respect for the event and the club you are there representing.

The incident with the shot at goal yesterday, if it happened as is being described, isn't great either. We all know you might get hit by a ball at the football. When it happens in the warm up though it's common practice for the player to acknowledge it and usually if a child is involved they go over and check everything is ok. To ignore it then smash another ball at the same goal a few seconds later is just another lack of respect.

Of course he is frustrated he isn't playing but really that's a time to knuckle down and force yourself into a position where you can't be ignored. As it is the only reason anyone notices McKirdy is because of his daft haircuts, sleeves pulled over his hands and his social media content. His on field endeavours have been instantly forgettable and if his solution is acting up like a toddler then I come back to the point about McDermott and character. It's not the actions of someone who is the right character for a club looking to better itself and continuously improve.

I agree. That character point made me full so much more positive about his appointment than might otherwise have been the case.

Lancs Harp
07-05-2023, 12:15 PM
I agree. That character point made me full so much more positive about his appointment than might otherwise have been the case.

Like the rest of us Ive got no idea if BM will be a success at Hibs or not but Im very hopeful. For sure though he is a football man and a proverbial student of the game. A very good appointment IMO.

Clarence
07-05-2023, 12:16 PM
The thing that stands out in his post is that he likes golf. He must like it because it affords him the opportunity to wear daft clothes. He surely can’t play it with his evident lack of strength, coordination and composure.

Lancs Harp
07-05-2023, 12:20 PM
The thing that stands out in his post is that he likes golf. He must like it because it affords him the opportunity to wear daft clothes. He surely can’t play it with his evident lack of strength, coordination and composure.

He has a handicap of 20 at Portobello crazy golf.

SaulGoodman
07-05-2023, 12:32 PM
If they dress like a prick and act like a prick they’re probably a prick.

He’s ****ing up his chance of playing for undoubtedly the biggest club he’s going to play for. He can **** off back to Swindon and be some average league two teams cult hero in front of 7k fans.

Lago
07-05-2023, 12:41 PM
Social media, the bane of football managers, players and clubs in general.

Onceinawhile
07-05-2023, 12:45 PM
In his defence - he did come across to apologise, but was getting absolute pelters when he did so. Rocky and Campbell then pulled him away and calmed the situation down before mckirdy came over and apologised again.

marinello59
07-05-2023, 12:51 PM
I thought his tweet was mildly amusing. Not clever but nothing I’d get too worked up over.

Jim44
07-05-2023, 12:56 PM
He’s a bit like an early Jamie Tart in Ted Lasso, but with a wilder dress sense. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 01:02 PM
He’s a bit like an early Jamie Tart in Ted Lasso, but with a wilder dress sense. :greengrin

Jamie Tart scored goals.

Clarence
07-05-2023, 01:09 PM
He has a handicap of 20 at Portobello crazy golf.

Flappy Gilmore

hibee-boys
07-05-2023, 01:26 PM

Juggling before Mckirdy, have a word ya clown😏

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 01:27 PM

:hilarious

chrisski33
07-05-2023, 01:43 PM
Hibs haven’t wasted anything of McKirdys, we’ve given him a chance at a higher level with more money in his pocket and probably a flat in the city centre to boot, Mckirdy has came here bold as brass and it’s not worked how he thought it would, does it look as if he’s saw ways to try and improve his game and knuckled down? Doesn’t to me, doesn’t even give the impression he understand the role he’s supposed to be playing when he comes on it’s just aimless running about, he’s wasted the chance we’ve given him and unfortunately we’ll probably have to cut our loses and ship him back down the road, we’re certainly not to blame for his loss of a year

Spot on! Ive seen very little from him to say he has the right attitude or even talent. Hes the one who has wasted his year at Hibs. Dunno what player MWHibbees on about lol

HIBS NUTS
07-05-2023, 01:57 PM

Does he have an owl.

chrisski33
07-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Maybe McKirdy will post a picture of a taxi on his socials

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Does he have an owl.

Don't be silly.

You can't juggle owls!

Silky
07-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Flappy Gilmore

Crappy Gilmour

LeithMike
07-05-2023, 04:56 PM
I think the McKirdy we see now is different to the one who arrived. You don’t score the goals he did for Swindon without having something about you.
And you can see it in flashes.

I do wonder who signed him though as he looks a penalty box striker to me and one who needs to play with a partner. LJ doesn’t want to play that way so any chances are out wide and given his poor start he probably tries too hard and his confidence is clearly way down.

I think we’ll have to move him on but if he can get the right move I think he’ll do well. If he learns from this tough time I’m sure he’ll grow as a person.

As for the balls in the stand yesterday, I think he was annoyed with himself. He’s a young man though and they do silly things. I’m not surprised he didn’t come over though - the vitriol being shouted at him was way over the top. I’m pretty sure if it had been MB it would have been laughed off.

I hope Hibs improve the signing policy as it is hard to see any plan on how McKirdy was to be used and, while not excusing his behaviour, I can see why what was a dream move has turned into a nightmare.

separately, the intolerance in our support is really concerning. as well as the abuse of McKirdy, there was on fan shouting an abuse at another for not letting her kids out to the isle quick enough. not sure about the rights and wrongs of it but he was with an older lady who was struggling to get up. A bit of patience and tolerance would go a long way.

leithsansiro
07-05-2023, 05:03 PM
If they dress like a prick and act like a prick they’re probably a prick.

He’s ****ing up his chance of playing for undoubtedly the biggest club he’s going to play for. He can **** off back to Swindon and be some average league two teams cult hero in front of 7k fans.

Pretty much this is where I’m at with him. Promises lots, delivers very very little. It’s an absolute guarantee that when he looks back on his career in 10 years time, he’ll not have played for any other club the size of Hibs. The boy needs to grow up and stop acting like a petulant child. Would we accept his behaviour from an 18 year old player breaking through? We’d maybe tolerate it if he was any good. McKirdy is neither young nor good, so he needs a wake up call. I’m sure he delights in “being a footballer”, without actually being a footballer. He comes across like the guy who turns up at 5s with shiny yellow boots and says he’s brilliant, then loses the ball over the fence after ten minutes.

3pm
07-05-2023, 05:05 PM
Don't be silly.

You can't juggle owls!

Lewis Stevenson can. But you know that.

Just Alf
07-05-2023, 05:11 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHa ha. This is a great description!

J-C
07-05-2023, 05:17 PM
I think the McKirdy we see now is different to the one who arrived. You don’t score the goals he did for Swindon without having something about you.

I do wonder who signed him though as he looks a penalty box striker to me and one who needs to play with a partner. LJ doesn’t want to play that way so any chances are out wide and given his poor start he probably tries too hard and his confidence is clearly way down.

I think we’ll have to move him on but if he can get the right move I think he’ll do well. If he learns from this tough time I’m sure he’ll grow as a person.

As for the balls in the stand yesterday, I think he was annoyed with himself. He’s a young man though and they do silly things. I’m not surprised he didn’t come over though - the vitriol being shouted at him was way over the top. I’m pretty sure if it had been MB it would have been laughed off.

I hope Hibs improve the signing policy as it is hard to see any plan on how McKirdy was to be used and, while not excusing his behaviour, I can see why what was a dream move has turned into a nightmare.

separately, the intolerance in our support is really concerning. as well as the abuse of McKirdy, there was on fan shouting an abuse at another for not letting her kids out to the isle quick enough. not sure about the rights and wrongs of it but he was with an older lady who was struggling to get up. A bit of patience and tolerance would go a long way.

He's what 25/26 and has had 1 good season and played all his football in Div2, he's just bang average with a cocky attitude.

The Captain....
07-05-2023, 05:30 PM
Never seems to have grown up...26 and he's acting like a petulant adolescent. Some ego on him for a lad that's never had 2 decent consecutive seasons. Continues the rule of thumb that every Chelsea fan I've ever met has been a complete ****.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
07-05-2023, 05:45 PM
If he leaves, who will be able to run into trouble, get caught out, then moan at the linesman?

Bridge hibs
07-05-2023, 05:51 PM
If he leaves, who will be able to run into trouble, get caught out, then moan at the linesman?

We will need to find another player we can call a rat and a wage thief, I remember in days gone by we used to chant the players names to give us a wave, no matter how **** they were, now we just sit behind a keyboard or phone and call them rats and wage thieves

Next victim will be along shortly, get those phones charged up

marinello59
07-05-2023, 05:57 PM
We will need to find another player we can call a rat and a wage thief, I remember in days gone by we used to chant the players names to give us a wave, no matter how **** they were, now we just sit behind a keyboard or phone and call them rats and wage thieves

Calling any Hibernian player a rat takes it too far for me. It’s not something I would call another human being anyway, reminiscent of us being described as vermin on Kickback.
I think we were all willing him to succeed, sadly it does appear that he isn’t good enough for our league. No one will be more disappointed about that than the player himself, it must hurt. It isn’t his fault that he was signed though, we need to look further up the ladder to see who is to blame for that. He is no wage thief either, what is he supposed to do? Turn the offered salary down? He certainly looked to be trying his hardest at Tannadice the other week.

Bostonhibby
07-05-2023, 06:02 PM
Calling any Hibernian player a rat takes it too far for me. It’s not something I would call another human being anyway, reminiscent of us being described as vermin on Kickback.
I think we were all willing him to succeed, sadly it does appear that he isn’t good enough for our league. No one will be more disappointed about that than the player himself, it must hurt. It isn’t his fault that he was signed though, we need to look further up the ladder to see who is to blame for that. He is no wage thief either, what is he supposed to do? Turn the offered salary down? He certainly looked to be trying his hardest at Tannadice the other week.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bridge hibs
07-05-2023, 06:12 PM
I think we were all willing him to succeed, sadly it does appear that he isn’t good enough for our league. No one will be more disappointed about that than the player himself, it must hurt. It isn’t his fault that he was signed though, we need to look further up the ladder to see who is to blame for that. He is no wage thief either, what is he supposed to do? Turn the offered salary down? He certainly looked to be trying his hardest at Tannadice the other week.

Totally agree mate, Im frustrated at him but I think he knows within himself its not working out. The name calling by so called hibs fans is below the belt and some of it uncalled for, they were questioned as to would they call him a rat or a wage thief to his face, of course they wouldnt, all ****ing bravado behind a keyboard. I think anyway his days are numbered and he will be punted in the summer

rodhibs55
07-05-2023, 06:21 PM
He's just not good enough.

Northernhibee
07-05-2023, 06:42 PM

He could help himself by acting professionally or contributing in the pitch.

Even one or the other would be good, and although some will take it too far by and large he deserves the same amount of respect he’s shown the club this weekend right back at him.

Will be glad when he’s punted.

Hibbyradge
07-05-2023, 06:44 PM
Lewis Stevenson can. But you know that.

Such truth. Such truth.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2023, 06:47 PM

I don't think Joe Tortolano, Brian Hamilton and a fair few others would agree with your rose tinted view of days gone by. Tortolano said in an interview only 2 or 3 years back that he was properly traumatised by the abuse he received from Hibs fans, often before the game had even kicked off.

That doesn't excuse calling players 'rats' of course but this abuse isn't a new thing, it just reaches a wider audience now.

Bridge hibs
07-05-2023, 06:49 PM
He could help himself by acting professionally or contributing in the pitch.

Even one or the other would be good, and although some will take it too far by and large he deserves the same amount of respect he’s shown the club this weekend right back at him.

Will be glad when he’s punted.I get that and each to their own in how we judge him, however is there a need to belittle a player of whom plays for our club ? He aint my cup of tea but Im not gonna call him a rat or a ****ing wage thief, he will still get my support when he pulls on a hibs shirt

Waxy
07-05-2023, 06:49 PM
He ought to just knuckle down and trust the club.
Dont know why he wouldn’t we were good enough to him to give him a contract.

cameronw-hfc
07-05-2023, 06:57 PM

You've touched on something a lot will be overlooking. Aye, he should have apologised, but if I was getting abuse lobbed at me consistently by fans of the club that should be supporting me, I'd probably be a bit less willing to show gratitude to them as well.

It's not worked here for Harry, but he came with a lot of hype, and it's not even turned to fans not believing in him, it got toxic and fast towards him.

He uploaded a picture a few days before the game with him and a few players and had to delete it a couple hours later as frankly, some of those comments were embarrasing. Close to a hundred comments, most personally abusing him. Not calling his performances poor, but calling him a 'pr1ck' 'wage theif' etc.

Aye, he's being petty, but our fans know how to treat our own absolutely appallingly sometimes, so I don't really blame him for giving up on us, we gave up on him and then some quite some time back going by fans comments.

I will say, he's acting like a child and probably should have played his last game for us now. Although I do think he's had a rough season and he's considerably better than we've seen, just won't work here.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Never in the field of football conflict has there been written so
much about people who knew so little…

FFS. Hibs news wrote they “didn’t know what happened” but condemned him anyway.

what a curse the social media age is.

I caught a part of the exchange from afar but not enough to make a proclamation / condemnation of a player without a fuller picture.

jesus wept.

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 07:32 PM
Harry McKirdy thinks it’s appropriate to call people who comment on his petulant Instagram posts ‘nonce’, I don’t care what our fans call him at this stage. He’s a tool and when he’s dishing out **** like that, he deserves what he gets.

B.H.F.C
07-05-2023, 08:52 PM
He’s no very good at football and acts like a twat.

One of the first we need to try and get out the door in the summer.

cameronw-hfc
07-05-2023, 09:27 PM
Harry McKirdy thinks it’s appropriate to call people who comment on his petulant Instagram posts ‘nonce’, I don’t care what our fans call him at this stage. He’s a tool and when he’s dishing out **** like that, he deserves what he gets.

Not a fan of that word being popularised as an insulting myself but in fairness wasn't he replying to abuse?

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 10:04 PM
Not a fan of that word being popularised as an insulting myself but in fairness wasn't he replying to abuse?

Criticism of his general conduct and performance perhaps, nothing near abuse. And miles away from being called a paedo, which he found was the appropriate response. There’s no excusing it.

cameronw-hfc
07-05-2023, 10:10 PM
Criticism of his general conduct and performance perhaps, nothing near abuse. And miles away from being called a paedo, which he found was the appropriate response. There’s no excusing it.

I seen a few shocking comments on his other posts tbf. Not condoning it, should never have said it or reacted but think it's all just petulant behaviour due to frustration at no gametime (partly his fault also) and the abuse he's getting.

There was a post a few days ago he removed I assume due to the comments as I seen a few and they were out of order.

ErinGoBraghHFC
07-05-2023, 10:19 PM
I seen a few shocking comments on his other posts tbf. Not condoning it, should never have said it or reacted but think it's all just petulant behaviour due to frustration at no gametime (partly his fault also) and the abuse he's getting.

There was a post a few days ago he removed I assume due to the comments as I seen a few and they were out of order.

See tbh mate the boys a fud and if he’s posting stories like that on instagram and not having the bottle to keep them up then **** him, deserves a wee heckle in his posts comments. Clown.

Vault Boy
07-05-2023, 10:21 PM

I can accept that some of the comments he gets might be tough for him to read, but we’ve had droves of players who have underperformed and/or didn’t get any game time and have managed to avoid regular outbursts on social media culminating in labelling a Hibs fan as a nonce. He just needs to leave, then everyone can move on.

Baader
08-05-2023, 12:09 AM

Should just take himself off social media then. Needs to be aware of who he is representing. Comes over very unprofessional. This isn't Northern Premier League or the Isthmian. He'd do well to remember that and stop behaving like it is.

Lots of the squad don't get game time but manage to stay professional and avoid "petulant behaviour."

dmc1875
08-05-2023, 05:22 AM
See tbh mate the boys a fud and if he’s posting stories like that on instagram and not having the bottle to keep them up then **** him, deserves a wee heckle in his posts comments. Clown.

This is ridiculous. You’ve called him a fud, a clown wtf is going on here?

He gets ridiculous abuse on social media from our fans all the time, he’s obviously someone who struggles to deal with that (he’s probably frustrated to with the lack of game time and also he’s not had one game in his favoured position yet he’s always stuck out wide)

We have a part of our support that just doesn’t take to players and then jump on them right away. He’s frustrated about being on the bench - so what? That’s fair - if I was LJ I’d be saying prove to me you should be starting up top.

Up-the-slope
08-05-2023, 08:50 AM
Swap him for Reading player we have been credited with interest in ?

Dmas
08-05-2023, 08:59 AM

He gets ridiculous abuse on social media from our fans all the time, he’s obviously someone who struggles to deal with that (he’s probably frustrated to with the lack of game time and also he’s not had one game in his favoured position yet he’s always stuck out wide)

We have a part of our support that just doesn’t take to players and then jump on them right away. He’s frustrated about being on the bench - so what? That’s fair - if I was LJ I’d be saying prove to me you should be starting up top.

What is his favoured position? Always seemed to me he was a wide forward, a lot of his Swindon goals are him in wide positions, If we’ve signed him as a central striker when the manager only plays one the recruitment is even more worrying no chance was he surviving up here as a lone striker

Bishop Hibee
08-05-2023, 09:02 AM
He’s not Hibs Class on or off the field. Hope he’s moved on in the summer.

Diclonius
08-05-2023, 09:06 AM
McKirdBye

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 09:11 AM

If he can't control himself on social media when he's got all the time he needs to make the right decisions, he's going to be mighty easy to wind up on the pitch which makes him a liability.

Now you might tolerate that short fuse if he was pulling up trees for the team, but he's not done anything of note with the opportunities he's had.

I'm not sure we'll see him in a Hibs shirt again and I certainly wouldn't trust him against hearts.

Unseen work
08-05-2023, 09:20 AM

What reading player is that?

Forza Fred
08-05-2023, 09:39 AM
Irrespective of what he’s done OFF the park he hasn’t been good enough ON it

Think his Hibs time is drawing to a close.

Since452
08-05-2023, 09:40 AM

Would Reading want him?

allezsauzee
08-05-2023, 09:59 AM
Hibs.net is the only social media I do nowadays so I have no idea what's going on with twitter, instagram etc but he's nowhere near the standard we need. We need to cut our losses in the summer.

Ronniekirk
08-05-2023, 10:11 AM
He has said himself he needs to be playing games He isn’t has hasn’t been good enough So I would think he will want a move in the summer and we will be happy to offload him if someone will take him
Have no interest in what he is doing on social media but no goals and no assists is no use to us

04Sauzee
08-05-2023, 10:19 AM
What reading player is that?

Can't think of us being linked to any Reading players?

EdinMike
08-05-2023, 10:47 AM
I have more hope in Hoppe…

Keith_M
08-05-2023, 11:07 AM
Personally, I think it's just not worked out at Hibs and I don't have any ill feelings toward the guy.

I think the best result for all parties would be a move to a new club down south at the end of the season and I genuinely hope he gets somewhere he enjoys and gets game time.

h1bs4life
08-05-2023, 12:00 PM
Hibs.net is the only social media I do nowadays so I have no idea what's going on with twitter, instagram etc but he's nowhere near the standard we need. We need to cut our losses in the summer.

Hibs net is about the only thing I have ever used social media wise probably because I am an old fart but have heard others talking about the trouble they cause.
If he is getting abuse surely the best thing is to come of these platforms ,the club should be telling him to do the same.
Every Hibs fan has been wanting him to do well doesn't look it is going to work , move him on in the summer and hopefully any replacement will be far better.

Smartie
08-05-2023, 12:47 PM
I've stuck by him so far and still do.

He's not had many opportunities but he hasn't looked bad to me when he has played, we've had miles worse.

It just looked like he needed a goal or a spark to set him off, instead he's had an air of frustration and mild desperation about him.

I was impressed with his highlight reel from Swindon and feel that in the right team with the right environment he could flourish but I've come to accept that it's not going to be at Easter Road.

The social media stuff just seems to sink certain characters - McKirdy, Griffiths and the like.

jacomo
08-05-2023, 01:53 PM
I've stuck by him so far and still do.

He's not had many opportunities but he hasn't looked bad to me when he has played, we've had miles worse.

It just looked like he needed a goal or a spark to set him off, instead he's had an air of frustration and mild desperation about him.

I was impressed with his highlight reel from Swindon and feel that in the right team with the right environment he could flourish but I've come to accept that it's not going to be at Easter Road.

The social media stuff just seems to sink certain characters - McKirdy, Griffiths and the like.

Social media is just a way for folk to express themselves to a bigger audience… we say we want characters in the team then attack them for showing their character.

I don’t mind him being frustrated at a lack of game time. If he wants to stay he should be doing everything he can to impress the manager and earn that chance.

chrisski33
08-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Social media is just a way for folk to express themselves to a bigger audience… we say we want characters in the team then attack them for showing their character.

I don’t mind him being frustrated at a lack of game time. If he wants to stay he should be doing everything he can to impress the manager and earn that chance.
I want characters at the club but the kinda characters that will fight for their place, respect the club and fans and can score goals. Harry isn't that kinda character.

18Craig75
08-05-2023, 02:19 PM
When you order Jason Cummings off Wish…

Hibiza
08-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Hibs net is about the only thing I have ever used social media wise probably because I am an old fart but have heard others talking about the trouble they cause.
If he is getting abuse surely the best thing is to come of these platforms ,the club should be telling him to do the same.
Every Hibs fan has been wanting him to do well doesn't look it is going to work , move him on in the summer and hopefully any replacement will be far better.

10/10

MrRobot
08-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Even if he has posted something a bit daft, the personal abuse he is getting on social media is way over the top.

I really hope it works out for him still here, though it seems his time is maybe running out and he is clearly getting frustrated.

Colr
08-05-2023, 02:36 PM
Even if he has posted something a bit daft, the personal abuse he is getting on social media is way over the top.

I really hope it works out for him still here, though it seems his time is maybe running out and he is clearly getting frustrated.

He seems to dig in and run about enthusiastically but to little effect.

The set up doesn’t seem to work for him. Not sure if the couches have a clear idea how he might work in the side.

JohnM1875
08-05-2023, 02:39 PM
He just needs to grow up. He's 26 now. Completely understand being frustrated at not starting games, especially after the season he had last year. But posting daft things on social media isn't going to help his cause with the fans.

Hibs fans will easily change their opinion on a player once they start performing. Just look at the difference of opinion on Campbell from a season ago.

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 02:51 PM

Calling Hibs fans nonces is some way to express yourself.

matty_f
08-05-2023, 03:09 PM
I can accept that some of the comments he gets might be tough for him to read, but we’ve had droves of players who have underperformed and/or didn’t get any game time and have managed to avoid regular outbursts on social media culminating in labelling a Hibs fan as a nonce. He just needs to leave, then everyone can move on.

I don't agree that the abuse he gets is justified, nor was his alleged response to the abuse. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Players being abused by Hibs fans has always been something I've struggled with, I hate it, to be honest. Folk can justify it however they like, but nobody comes out of it looking good.

Marinello's post on it earlier in the thread was good. McKirdy's not chosen for it to not work out here, he wants to play and isn't getting a chance (he clearly thinks he's good enough, Johnson clearly thinks otherwise).

It's unrealistic because of what life is like these days, folk rush to be offended and want to bite back, but it saddens me that the response to his bench post on Instagram wasn't folk telling him to stick in, to keep working, to prove folk wrong etc.

Doubling down on it being ok to abuse him because he was out of line doesn't help anyone.

I think his time's up here, I really wanted it to work out for him, as I'm sure he did, but it hasn't and it probably won't.

matty_f
08-05-2023, 03:09 PM
Calling Hibs fans nonces is some way to express yourself.

Do you think they'll ever get over it?

Vault Boy
08-05-2023, 03:25 PM
I don't agree that the abuse he gets is justified, nor was his alleged response to the abuse. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Players being abused by Hibs fans has always been something I've struggled with, I hate it, to be honest. Folk can justify it however they like, but nobody comes out of it looking good.

Marinello's post on it earlier in the thread was good. McKirdy's not chosen for it to not work out here, he wants to play and isn't getting a chance (he clearly thinks he's good enough, Johnson clearly thinks otherwise).

It's unrealistic because of what life is like these days, folk rush to be offended and want to bite back, but it saddens me that the response to his bench post on Instagram wasn't folk telling him to stick in, to keep working, to prove folk wrong etc.

Doubling down on it being ok to abuse him because he was out of line doesn't help anyone.

I think his time's up here, I really wanted it to work out for him, as I'm sure he did, but it hasn't and it probably won't.

Snapping back to a fan who is critical of your time at a club by calling them a paedophile is totally and utterly disproportionate, unprofessional, and sick. I’ve never in my life given a Hibs player abuse, including up until this point Harry McKirdy, but I’ve also never seen him receive anything quite as bad as he’s dished out. I’ve got no sympathy for him after this.

Should folk be on his Instagram calling him ****? Well no, that sort of thing certainly isn’t for me, but his conduct draws it. He’s overtly undermining the club who pays his wages and liking comments that say ‘Harry hates the Hibees’ and other similar nonsense. Harry McKirdy isn’t a victim, he’s a loud mouthed, immature, privileged footballer who seems fine with attracting negative attention so long as it means he’s being noticed. And he shows no shame in disparaging both the club and its fans along the way.

I’m looking forward to him leaving and will be shocked if he ever plays anywhere close to our level again.

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 03:31 PM
Do you think they'll ever get over it?

That's not really the point though.

I don't know who was giving Mckirdy abuse and I don't know what was said, but I do expect footballers to be able to either ignore it or rise above it.

On many occasions I've written an angry or badly thought out post only to delete it before pressing send and I'm sure you have to.

The fact that McKirdy hasn't got the self discipline to do that indicates that there's something amiss with his temperament.

For years, Lewis Stevenson suffered terrible abuse from Hibs fans, but he never reacted or complained.

The bench thing was guaranteed to be met with an angry reaction, what did he expect? Sympathy?

Character first, said Brian McDermott. If he'd been here last year, McKirdy wouldn't be.

matty_f
08-05-2023, 03:40 PM
That's not really the point though.

I don't know who was giving Mckirdy abuse and I don't know what was said, but I do expect footballers to be able to either ignore it or rise above it.

On many occasions I've written an angry or badly thought out post only to delete it before pressing send and I'm sure you have to.

The fact that McKirdy hasn't got the self discipline to do that indicates that there's something amiss with his temperament.

For years, Lewis Stevenson suffered terrible abuse from Hibs fans, but he never reacted or complained.

The bench thing was guaranteed to be met with an angry reaction, what did he expect? Sympathy?

Character first, said Brian McDermott. If he'd been here last year, McKirdy wouldn't be.
Don't you think the whole thing is an overreaction?

Again, I don't really get the doubling down on justifying the abuse - we don't know what his mental state is like etc, but we could give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe not hammer him for a social media post that is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

He's maybe a good character going through a hard time? I don't know- I don't know him or his character to say one way or another.

He should know better, he should have done better, but is it worth the pile-on?

I'm not sure it is..

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 03:53 PM

Again, I don't really get the doubling down on justifying the abuse - we don't know what his mental state is like etc, but we could give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe not hammer him for a social media post that is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

He's maybe a good character going through a hard time? I don't know- I don't know him or his character to say one way or another.

I'm not sure it is..

I haven't double downed on the abuse, I don't know what was said, and I haven't piled on.

I've criticised him for calling Hibs fans nonces, and I've said that the bench post was guaranteed to attract negative attention.

Do you disagree?

Lago
08-05-2023, 03:55 PM
:top marks

I'm not sure it is..

matty_f
08-05-2023, 03:56 PM
I haven't double downed on the abuse, I don't know what was said, and I haven't piled on.

I've criticised him for calling Hibs fans nonces, and I've said that the bench post was guaranteed to attract negative attention.

Do you disagree?

No, I've acknowledged that he should have behaved/done better.

The pile on was from the wider social media/this thread, rather than you specifically, just easier to build into one reply than trying to quote several posts on my phone.

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 04:10 PM
No, I've acknowledged that he should have behaved/done better.

The pile on was from the wider social media/this thread, rather than you specifically, just easier to build into one reply than trying to quote several posts on my phone.

Pile ones are never justified. It's bullying and psychological experiments such as Milgram and Blue eyes/brown eyes touch on why people behave like that.

I see it in every FB group whether it's golf, comedy or even cats. So far I've managed to resist any temptation to join in.

marinello59
08-05-2023, 04:22 PM

I'm not sure it is..

Good post

Bridge hibs
08-05-2023, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure it is..Well said mate 👍

Heisenberg
08-05-2023, 04:35 PM
I guess someone at the club has had a word because he’s deleted the post all together.

Diclonius
08-05-2023, 05:04 PM
The days of footballers saying stupid **** on social media and it all being a big laugh is long gone now. It's 2023, not 2013. 26 year olds should either have (1) grown up or (2) hired a social media manager. He's done neither so no sympathy tbh.

Bobby's Cinema
08-05-2023, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure it is..
That's not going to happen Matty. Should we not expect footballers representing our club to conduct themselves in a certain way, show a certain level of maturity and professionalism? He's never going to win anyone round with the way he conducts himself. The guy has shown nothing to suggest he takes his role at our club seriously. The club positioned him as some level of statement signing at the time with the way it was announced. Not that personal abuse of the guy is acceptable.

The Modfather
08-05-2023, 05:26 PM
I’m an antisocial dinosaur so haven’t, and don’t, do social media. As someone in a higher profile position why does he allow strangers to comment on his posts? Would he not be better restricting replies (assuming you can do it of course) to only people he follows. He can still post and let people know what he’s up to if that’s what he wants to do, but wouldn’t have to read any abuse.

HarpOnHibee
08-05-2023, 05:32 PM
I’m an antisocial dinosaur so haven’t, and don’t, do social media. As someone in a higher profile position why does he allow strangers to comment on his posts? Would he not be better restricting replies (assuming you can do it of course) to only people he follows. He can still post and let people know what he’s up to if that’s what he wants to do, but wouldn’t have to read any abuse.

Because like almost anybody else who uses social media, he's hooked on the reactions regardless of whether they're positive or negative. It's ultimately about the attention.

Carheenlea
08-05-2023, 06:31 PM
His latest Instagram had a picture from a game of golf at Archerfield. Seems to be keen on the golf - anyone know what kind of standard he is?

Viva_Palmeiras
08-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Might have missed it but many folks appear to be commenting on no / second-hand info?
Never a wise move. In any case no right of reply makes trial by social media the bleep-show our kids have to grow up in.

Question tho’:

Where do we _really_ stand as a support on:

- settling in time for players - esp from other leagues/cultures/countries?
- development of youth players
- mental health

Seems to me like a slice of our support give not one hit about this for a variety of reasons/excuses.
Seems also like a slice also apply different criteria to players that they would not apply to themselves for a variety of reasons/excuses.

So if those “not in acceptance of mediocrity” for example would like to articulate how they hold themselves to account in this regard in their professional and personal life Im sure we’re all ears. Unless your name is “Andy Murray” I’m most intrigued by your secret to success and perhaps worthy of in all seriousness of a session at HTC for the player and fans.

Should we hold our collective breaths?

Hibby70
08-05-2023, 07:10 PM
Can't think of us being linked to any Reading players?

Jamie Cureton. 😂

1van Sprou7e
08-05-2023, 07:14 PM
I guess someone at the club has had a word because he’s deleted the post all together.

Was it not on his story?

Viva_Palmeiras
08-05-2023, 07:27 PM
Jamie Cureton. 😂

Was Grant Brebner also not from Reading?

Smartie
08-05-2023, 07:33 PM
Was Grant Brebner also not from Reading?

Did he not choose to go there over joining us after being on loan to us from Man Utd - then joined us for a second spell permanently from them?

Where’s McNulty these days? Is that crazy long contract he got from Reading still running?

eastmainsmsh
08-05-2023, 07:35 PM
Did he not choose to go there over joining us after being on loan to us from Man Utd - then joined us for a second spell permanently from them?

Where’s McNulty these days? Is that crazy long contract he got from Reading still running?

Orange county

matty_f
08-05-2023, 08:59 PM
That's not going to happen Matty. Should we not expect footballers representing our club to conduct themselves in a certain way, show a certain level of maturity and professionalism? He's never going to win anyone round with the way he conducts himself. The guy has shown nothing to suggest he takes his role at our club seriously. The club positioned him as some level of statement signing at the time with the way it was announced. Not that personal abuse of the guy is acceptable.

It's not going to happen, sadly - you're right. And we should expect better, no question.

Hibbyradge
08-05-2023, 09:10 PM
Jamie Cureton. 😂

😃👍

Scottie
08-05-2023, 09:16 PM
Orange county
Where Ibrox Glasgow ? :dunno:

Donegal Hibby
08-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Where Ibrox Glasgow ? :dunno:
Doing his badges to become a SPL referee maybe 🤔

Brightside
09-05-2023, 06:45 AM
His latest Instagram had a picture from a game of golf at Archerfield. Seems to be keen on the golf - anyone know what kind of standard he is?

I think he posted previously with his handicap being about 11/12. Joe N is 8. Think Josh is low single fingers.

oneone73
09-05-2023, 07:38 AM
Think Josh is low single fingers.
Must make it hard to grip the club.

Brightside
09-05-2023, 08:01 AM

Bravo :greengrin

Springbank
09-05-2023, 08:17 AM
Snapping back to a fan who is critical of your time at a club by calling them a paedophile is totally and utterly disproportionate, unprofessional, and sick. I’ve never in my life given a Hibs player abuse, including up until this point Harry McKirdy, but I’ve also never seen him receive anything quite as bad as he’s dished out. I’ve got no sympathy for him after this.

Should folk be on his Instagram calling him ****? Well no, that sort of thing certainly isn’t for me, but his conduct draws it. He’s overtly undermining the club who pays his wages and liking comments that say ‘Harry hates the Hibees’ and other similar nonsense. Harry McKirdy isn’t a victim, he’s a loud mouthed, immature, privileged footballer who seems fine with attracting negative attention so long as it means he’s being noticed. And he shows no shame in disparaging both the club and its fans along the way.

I’m looking forward to him leaving and will be shocked if he ever plays anywhere close to our level again.

Can't say I disagree with a word of this.

Carheenlea
09-05-2023, 08:30 AM
I think he posted previously with his handicap being about 11/12. Joe N is 8. Think Josh is low single fingers.

Thanks for that.

Knew Joe Newel was a decent player but wasn’t aware of Josh Campbell had such a low handicap.

Brightside
09-05-2023, 08:41 AM
Thanks for that.

Knew Joe Newel was a decent player but wasn’t aware of Josh Campbell had such a low handicap.

I'm sure Jamie Gullan was less than scratch and could have went Pro! and I think David Gray is a low handicapper too.

09-05-2023, 08:50 AM

😂

WhileTheChief..
09-05-2023, 10:27 AM
Not fussed about him at all really. Same as Melkerson and Kenneh and all the others that I've forgotten about already from last summer!

I just hope that whoever thought we should go for him in the first place has learnt their lesson.

He's been an awful signing. Let's not make the same mistake again this summer.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2023, 10:34 AM
How long is his contact?

Maybe he could go out on loan although I tend to think his ego wouldn't accept that.

Donegal Hibby
09-05-2023, 10:42 AM
How long is his contact?

Maybe he could go out on loan although I tend to think his ego wouldn't accept that.
His contract is to 2025 .

Donegal Hibby
09-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Didn't know what the altercation pre match was though read on another forum that Mckirdy had a shot that went wide and the ball hit a lady , Mckirdy went over to apologize though two other male Hibs fans gave him dogs abuse and the players ushered him away though he went back again and apologized and had some photos taken with lady and some near by kids .

I don't know if these accounts are accurate though if they are I'd have a lot of sympathy for Mckirdy on this . It's certainly not working out for him at Hibs so far and his attitude hasn't been great at times imo though I don't see what's to be gained in giving him pelters before the game actually starts either tbh .

Bridge hibs
09-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Didn't know what the altercation pre match was though read on another forum that Mckirdy had a shot that went wide and the ball hit a lady , Mckirdy went over to apologize though two other male Hibs fans gave him dogs abuse and the players ushered him away though he went back again and apologized and had some photos taken with lady and some near by kids .

I don't know if these accounts are accurate though if they are I'd have a lot of sympathy for Mckirdy on this . It's certainly not working out for him at Hibs so far and his attitude hasn't been great at times imo though I don't see what's to be gained in giving him pelters before the game actually starts either tbh .
They were probably only praising him as thats the closest his shots have been since he joined 🫣

Waxy
09-05-2023, 11:37 AM
Whenever i’ve seen him on the park he’s always put the effort in.
A bit of luck here and there and things might have gone differently.
No point really in looking back now.
If i played for a big football club i’d be bending over backwards to make it work.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2023, 03:33 PM

from reading this sounds like you witnessed first hand? Other accounts would didn’t cover the paedophile comment but that he got dogs abuse after trying to apologise.

Either way I do hope those commenting were actually there. There does also seem to be an undercurrent of confirmation bias in some posts, So Im keeping an open mind.

As an aside :

We are Hibernian FC…

I don’t recall the words mentioning we abuse our own players.
But maybe it’s not so far from some reality these days.

Stubbsy90+2
09-05-2023, 07:15 PM
from reading this sounds like you witnessed first hand? Other accounts would didn’t cover the paedophile comment but that he got dogs abuse after trying to apologise.

Either way I do hope those commenting were actually there. There does also seem to be an undercurrent of confirmation bias in some posts, So Im keeping an open mind.

As an aside :

We are Hibernian FC…

I don’t recall the words mentioning we abuse our own players.
But maybe it’s not so far from some reality these days.

The paedophile/nonce thing was on Instagram apparently. Plenty people appear to have seen it

matty_f
09-05-2023, 07:17 PM
The paedophile/nonce thing was on Instagram apparently. Plenty people appear to have seen it

If he was doing well at the club nobody would be hammering him for that.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2023, 08:17 PM

He wouldn't have been getting the grief he reacted to if he was performing well.

However, if any player called Hibs fans "nonces", they'd be hammered for it.

Stubbsy90+2
09-05-2023, 08:19 PM

Na. He’d have been hammered for such horrendous comments regardless of how he was doing imo.

MrRobot
09-05-2023, 08:53 PM
What did the guy say to him for mckirdy to reply calling him a nonce?

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Well there’s allegations flying left right and centre, what I want to know is who the chief alligator is?!

As I said trial by social media has to be one of the downsides of modern life…

matty_f
09-05-2023, 10:22 PM
Na. He’d have been hammered for such horrendous comments regardless of how he was doing imo.

Is calling someone a nonce worse than drink driving? Just trying to establish where the line is. Good players do a bit of drink driving, get a pass. Bad player calls someone a name, get hammered?

Vault Boy
09-05-2023, 10:33 PM
Is calling someone a nonce worse than drink driving? Just trying to establish where the line is. Good players do a bit of drink driving, get a pass. Bad player calls someone a name, get hammered?

Apples and oranges. Joe Newell was convicted, banned from driving, fined by the courts, and fined by the club. He had his name plastered across the papers and he was certainly criticised by the fan base for his actions, deservedly so.

That was about two years ago, should we keep bringing it up? Or do we accept that the appropriate avenues of punishment were taken and he’s shown the necessary level of remorse to move on, albeit with a firm reminder of the stupidity of his actions? I personally vote the latter.

I don’t see how it’s got anything to do with McKirdy finding it appropriate to call a Hibs fan a nonce on his sizeable and verified platform. Joe was taken to court, Harry McKirdy is being criticised on an online football forum. And FWIW whether or not he’s any good at football doesn’t have any bearing on how I and others feel about his actions, I’m sure.

matty_f
09-05-2023, 10:48 PM
Apples and oranges. Joe Newell was convicted, banned from driving, fined by the courts, and fined by the club. He had his name plastered across the papers and he was certainly criticised by the fan base for his actions, deservedly so.

That was about two years ago, should we keep bringing it up? Or do we accept that the appropriate avenues of punishment were taken and he’s shown the necessary level of remorse to move on, albeit with a firm reminder of the stupidity of his actions? I personally vote the latter.

I don’t see how it’s got anything to do with McKirdy finding it appropriate to call a Hibs fan a nonce on his sizeable and verified platform. Joe was taken to court, Harry McKirdy is being criticised on an online football forum. And FWIW whether or not he’s any good at football doesn’t have any bearing on how I and others feel about his actions, I’m sure.

It's all relative though, he deleted the comment pretty quickly. Folk were abusinb him before that comment anyway, it just added a layer of perceived justification for the most recent abuse.
Not just Newell, by the way, Boyle got done for it as well. I love them both, too. I'm not suggesting they should be abused but you can't seriously be saying that calling someone a name is worse because he's not been pulled up publicist by the club or taken through the courts.

Porteous got done for throwing a tumbler at a lassie and folk were dismissing that as a fuss over nothing (as well as a few folk calling him a daft laddie) and then were happy to write off his presence in the wreath theft incident. Both of them are worse than a throwaway insult on Instagram, imho. Drink driving certainly is.

Vault Boy
09-05-2023, 11:08 PM
It's all relative though, he deleted the comment pretty quickly. Folk were abusinb him before that comment anyway, it just added a layer of perceived justification for the most recent abuse.
Not just Newell, by the way, Boyle got done for it as well. I love them both, too. I'm not suggesting they should be abused but you can't seriously be saying that calling someone a name is worse because he's not been pulled up publicist by the club or taken through the courts.

Porteous got done for throwing a tumbler at a lassie and folk were dismissing that as a fuss over nothing (as well as a few folk calling him a daft laddie) and then were happy to write off his presence in the wreath theft incident. Both of them are worse than a throwaway insult on Instagram, imho. Drink driving certainly is.

I just think it amounts to whataboutism, Boyle and Newell were dealt with through the correct avenues and paid for their wrongdoings. And no, I’m not saying it’s worse, I’m saying that it’s got absolutely nothing to do with those issues.

McKirdy was overtly encouraging negative comments, he was undermining the club in his own petulant way and he knew full well that some fans would take issue with it. The guy he called a nonce didn’t say anything that could amount to abuse, criticism sure, but not abuse. McKirdy needs to understand the influence of his platform and the impact of the way he communicates. I’ve seen plenty of fans saying he’s *****, he needs to leave, he cares more about Chelsea than Hibs etc etc, but that hardly amounts to abuse. Most importantly, it doesn’t warrant the response he dished out.

It’s not that he’s simply not trying to endear himself to the club and the fans, it’s that he’s actively trying to do the opposite. Jair Tavares has barely kicked a ball for us and seems like he’s probably pretty unhappy at Hibs, but he manages to refrain from calling our fans paedos and goading the club/the supporters with unsubtle digs on social media. Hence, he doesn’t get anything like the criticism that McKirdy does.

It’s not like the fans are mindlessly taking pot shots at a player who’s just underperforming, he’s coming under fire because he has, on multiple occasions, shown contempt for the club he’s meant to play for. Lewis Miller, Cabby, Ewan Henderson - all players who have had disappointing seasons for one reason or another, however none of them receive the attention that McKirdy does. There’s a reason for that, and its name is Harry. I’m not sure I totally get the alternative here either, are we not meant to call out a player for using that kind of language toward a fan just because we’ve got players who have done worse in the past? That’s all that’s happening here, I’m not directing any abuse at Harry and certainly don’t plan to.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2023, 11:10 PM

No-one is saying what Mckirdy did was worse or even similar.

He called Hibs fans nonces and he's getting grief for it.

WTF did he think would happen? He only deleted it because of the predictable reaction.

It'll pass like everything else and if he starts performing, the fans will forget the incident. I don't really understand why you've taken up the baton for him.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2023, 11:13 PM
I just think it amounts to whataboutism, Boyle and Newell were dealt with through the correct avenues and paid for their wrongdoings. And no, I’m not saying it’s worse, I’m saying that it’s got absolutely nothing to do with those issues.

McKirdy was overtly encouraging negative comments, he was undermining the club in his own petulant way and he knew full well that some fans would take issue with it. The guy he called a nonce didn’t say anything that could amount to abuse, criticism sure, but not abuse. McKirdy needs to understand the influence of his platform and the impact of the way he communicates. I’ve seen plenty of fans saying he’s *****, he needs to leave, he cares more about Chelsea than Hibs etc etc, but that hardly amounts to abuse. Most importantly, it doesn’t warrant the response he dished out.

It’s not that he’s simply not trying to endear himself to the club and the fans, it’s that he’s actively trying to do the opposite. Jair Tavares has barely kicked a ball for us and seems like he’s probably pretty unhappy at Hibs, but he manages to refrain from calling our fans paedos and goading the club/the supporters with unsubtle digs on social media. Hence, he doesn’t get anything like the criticism that McKirdy does.

It’s not like the fans are mindlessly taking pot shots at a player who’s just underperforming, he’s coming under fire because he has, on multiple occasions, shown contempt for the club he’s meant to play for. Lewis Miller, Cabby, Ewan Henderson - all players who have had disappointing seasons for one reason or another, however none of them receive the attention that McKirdy does. There’s a reason for that, and its name is Harry. I’m not sure I totally get the alternative here either, are we not meant to call out a player for using that kind of language toward a fan just because we’ve got players who have done worse in the past? That’s all that’s happening here, I’m not directing any abuse at Harry and certainly don’t plan to.

Good explanation, VB.

connerg
09-05-2023, 11:57 PM

Yes. McKirdy pressed a few buttons on his phone, knowing it would annoy some people. Has anybody on here never done anything that would annoy somebody? Family or work colleagues? Let them without sin cast the first stone. Drink driving is horriffic and only allowed, if i can call it that, because the Police (off duty, do it too)

matty_f
10-05-2023, 12:04 AM
No-one is saying what Mckirdy did was worse or even similar.

He called Hibs fans nonces and he's getting grief for it.

WTF did he think would happen? He only deleted it because of the predictable reaction.

It'll pass like everything else and if he starts performing, the fans will forget the incident. I don't really understand why you've taken up the baton for him.

It's not about taking up the baton for McKirdy specifically, it's about questioning whether it's necessary to abuse players we should, by definition, support.

Saying it's ok because he said something mean to someone (and not through him instigating it, he replied to someone who abused him after choosing to be offended at a fundamentally harmless post) is like saying "of course she deserved it, look at what she was wearing - what did she think would happen?" - I appreciate that's an extreme example but it's the same argument.

By including other players' indescretions I'm just flagging an inconsistency where "what did he expect?" only really applies when we want it to.

My point has been that we, as a support, didn't have to pile on and hammer the guy, that we don't know his mental state when he's posted or how he's coping with apparently failing at his job.

Mind all the "be kind" stuff? How that was popular for ten minutes when it trended on Twitter but when it comes to it we're happy to throw it in the bin because we didn't like a social media comment and/or post.

matty_f
10-05-2023, 12:09 AM

I really disagree, the stuff there that you're saying isn't abuse is really subjective. If we're saying the stuff said to McKirdy is all ok but his retaliation warrants a pile-on then we're taking into the "outraged at everything, embarrassed at nothing" territory.

The comments aimed at McKirdy pre-date his post in many cases, and they just got worse when folk had something to take exception to.

I have no issue with anyone getting called out for stuff but it should be proportionate, and it doesn't need to be abusive.

connerg
10-05-2023, 12:30 AM
If Harry McKirdy scored 10 maybe 12 goals, one or two against the yams or huns this season and sent his twitter stuff. This place would be saying. " What a gadge, what a lad. He speaks his mind, respect"

The Baldmans Comb
10-05-2023, 04:10 AM
No harm in Hibs taking a punt on a reasonable prospect from England's lower division but as always they give him a ridiculous long term contract that means he is going to be hard to move on if he bombs.

And bomb he has as Scottish football isn't the skoosh he expected it to be and he has been found out mentally as probably for the first time in his career he is no longer the big cheese fending off the good vibes and daft fan adoration.

Best for all concerned he gets back down to an English level he is comfortable at with maybe a little humility that he couldn't cut it at this level and some retrospect about his laughable social media posts as who on this planet would give a flying flip about a supposed insult from a thickie inarticulate footballer.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-05-2023, 06:45 AM

Is this the problem with Scotland - generally folks don’t like people “getting ideas above their station” and someone usually “Kent your faither”… ? Is there consequently a love-hate relationship with mavericks?

Dont get me wrong if what gone down as reported then that’s a battle to come back from. The club would need to understand the circumstances mitigating or otherwise. And make a call.

Brightside
10-05-2023, 07:22 AM
I've no issue with Mckirdy calling some fans nonces on Instagram. There are many absolute roaster hibs fans on socials who spend all their time slagging off players etc. Childish name calling on social media is the least of his issues.

I want him gone cause he's simply not good enough for us and I want us to improve. He's a poor footballer and his attitude (or perceived attitude) doesn't help that.

One thing though. Why do people follow him on Instagram? He does appear to post nothing but ***** so why follow him if not for the chance to be offended.

Hibbyradge
10-05-2023, 08:20 AM
It's not about taking up the baton for McKirdy specifically, it's about questioning whether it's necessary to abuse players we should, by definition, support.

Saying it's ok because he said something mean to someone (and not through him instigating it, he replied to someone who abused him after choosing to be offended at a fundamentally harmless post) is like saying "of course she deserved it, look at what she was wearing - what did she think would happen?" - I appreciate that's an extreme example but it's the same argument.

By including other players' indescretions I'm just flagging an inconsistency where "what did he expect?" only really applies when we want it to.

My point has been that we, as a support, didn't have to pile on and hammer the guy, that we don't know his mental state when he's posted or how he's coping with apparently failing at his job.

Mind all the "be kind" stuff? How that was popular for ten minutes when it trended on Twitter but when it comes to it we're happy to throw it in the bin because we didn't like a social media comment and/or post.

I'm not saying it's ok to abuse players. It's not, but we know that some people, a lot of people, think it is.

That's the social media world we live in and it's as predictable as night follows day.

If I went drinking in the Louden Tavern wearing a Hibs top I would eventually get physically abused not just verbally.

Is that "right"? Of course, it's not, but it's what would happen so I wouldn't be so stupid as to do it.

I'm sure there are better examples but I hope you get my point.

eastmainsmsh
10-05-2023, 08:20 AM
If HM didnt carry on on social media and say he has been disappointed way things been going for him and he is keen to show us what he can do maybe he would be more appreciated but way he goes about it is only going one way the Highway

Hibbyradge
10-05-2023, 08:26 AM
One thing though. Why do people follow him on Instagram? He does appear to post nothing but ***** so why follow him if not for the chance to be offended.

It's the same on every platform. People even follow individuals who they don't like purely to argue, criticise and abuse. Politicians and journalists particularly.

I get that it's healthy to hear different views but if you're not going to listen and consider their viewpoints, why follow them?

matty_f
10-05-2023, 09:00 AM
I'm not saying it's ok to abuse players. It's not, but we know that some people, a lot of people, think it is.

That's the social media world we live in and it's as predictable as night follows day.

If I went drinking in the Louden Tavern wearing a Hibs top I would eventually get physically abused not just verbally.

Is that "right"? Of course, it's not, but it's what would happen so I wouldn't be so stupid as to do it.

I'm sure there are better examples but I hope you get my point.

We can't control what McKirdy posts though, but we can control our reaction to it.

It's not the same as going into the Louden, for your analogy to work we'd need to say that the Rangers fan has come into the Harp and got annoyed at you wearing the Hibs top.

The people who have chosen to be offended by his post and comments have actively gone out of their way to follow him, find the post, comment abuse/criticism at him and then get irked when he's given some back. He's not knocked on their doors to show them.

I said early doors in this discussion that he should have done better/behaved better than he did with the post, that's not really in question - my point has always been to question the need to abuse him.

Helensburghhibs
10-05-2023, 09:21 AM
We can't control what McKirdy posts though, but we can control our reaction to it.

It's not the same as going into the Louden, for your analogy to work we'd need to say that the Rangers fan has come into the Harp and got annoyed at you wearing the Hibs top.

The people who have chosen to be offended by his post and comments have actively gone out of their way to follow him, find the post, comment abuse/criticism at him and then get irked when he's given some back. He's not knocked on their doors to show them.

I said early doors in this discussion that he should have done better/behaved better than he did with the post, that's not really in question - my point has always been to question the need to abuse him.

Summed up well. I actually think he may play a decent part next season. I do follow him on Instagram and it seems he is a popular team mate an pretty well integrated

Hibbyradge
10-05-2023, 09:31 AM

No, there is no need to abuse him. I'm not trying to defend that. Social media is a cesspit of angry, cowardly keyboard hardmen. This is a fact and their behaviour is predictable.

I think if anyone "famous" has a social media media account, it's so they can get attention and collect followers so in a way they are "knocking on doors".

If Mckirdy chooses to post things which belittle or demean the club, he will attract a predictable reaction.

If he reponds to that reaction by insulting people, the reaction will be even stronger.

Who was it that stuck 2 fingers up at Hibs fans when he played for Rangers? Was it Craig Patterson? Can you remember the reaction to that? Social media is that multiplied many times.

Donegal Hibby
10-05-2023, 09:54 AM
What did the guy say to him for mckirdy to reply calling him a nonce?
I'd liked to have known this also !

WhileTheChief..
10-05-2023, 09:59 AM
Eric Cantona.

A player who knew how to deal with abusive fans.

Imagine if McKirdy had tried similar :greengrin

matty_f
10-05-2023, 10:10 AM
No, there is no need to abuse him. I'm not trying to defend that. Social media is a cesspit of angry, cowardly keyboard hardmen. This is a fact and their behaviour is predictable.

I think if anyone "famous" has a social media media account, it's so they can get attention and collect followers so in a way they are "knocking on doors".

If Mckirdy chooses to post things which belittle or demean the club, he will attract a predictable reaction.

If he reponds to that reaction by insulting people, the reaction will be even stronger.

Who was it that stuck 2 fingers up at Hibs fans when he played for Rangers? Was it Craig Patterson? Can you remember the reaction to that? Social media is that multiplied many times.

That's a bit of a stretch with the knocking on doors bit, Dave.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/L3dxMGzt5mU

Betty Boop
10-05-2023, 10:30 AM

Thought that was Ian Murray ?

Brightside
10-05-2023, 11:45 AM
I'd liked to have known this also !

Why? Its just tittle-tattle. He clearly doesn't actually think the guy is a nonce its just childish nonsense (no pun)

BlackSheep
10-05-2023, 11:59 AM
McKirdy has played about 630 minutes for Hibs since signing, thats the equivalent of 7 games.

He has shown some moments of magic in those fleeting appearances and other times he has looked out of his depth, but i will say i think its far too early to be hounding the lad out of Hibs.

Other players have been favoured in front of him and unfortunately for him he hasn't managed to make much impact when coming on from the bench to prove he is worth more starts.

I remember when Joe Newell first came here and a large part of the fan base thought he was garbage, but once he settled in and put in some good performances the fanbase changed their tune.

Give the lad a chance.

Donegal Hibby
10-05-2023, 12:09 PM
Why? Its just tittle-tattle. He clearly doesn't actually think the guy is a nonce its just childish nonsense (no pun)
I suppose because there's two sides to most situation's and while it's childish from Mckirdy I do wonder what the other guy said for Mckirdy to call him a nonce in the first place . I think Mckirdy has been wrong in alot of things since joining us though if what happened pre match is true then I don't think it's Mckirdy that's in the wrong but the fans who gave him abuse are imo .

Lago
10-05-2023, 12:12 PM
McKirdy has played about 630 minutes for Hibs since signing, thats the equivalent of 7 games.

He has shown some moments of magic in those fleeting appearances and other times he has looked out of his depth, but i will say i think its far too early to be hounding the lad out of Hibs.

Other players have been favoured in front of him and unfortunately for him he hasn't managed to make much impact when coming on from the bench to prove he is worth more starts.

I remember when Joe Newell first came here and a large part of the fan base thought he was garbage, but once he settled in and put in some good performances the fanbase changed their tune.

Give the lad a chance.
Yes everyone deserves a chance, well said.

SickBoy32
10-05-2023, 12:18 PM

Give the lad a chance.

Moments of magic is pushing it, he's hit the bar once - other than that I've not seen anything overly impressive tbh

The fans cannot be blamed for his lack of contribution this season, that's just down to a lack of quality / physicality in my opinion (plenty effort has been shown when he's been on the park)

When you add in his clearly unprofessional approach to the club / fans, it's a no-brainer to offload if possible in the summer

Nisbet is expected to leave, meaning for the 3 forward positions next season - I'd imagine only centre forward is available (assuming Boyle / Youan out wide)

McKirdy is in no way good enough to be our starting centre forward next season, and I don't really see any reasonable argument for him to hang around as backup either - given his behaviour / performance level since arriving

Stubbsy90+2
10-05-2023, 12:41 PM
Moments of magic is pushing it, he's hit the bar once - other than that I've not seen anything overly impressive tbh

The fans cannot be blamed for his lack of contribution this season, that's just down to a lack of quality / physicality in my opinion (plenty effort has been shown when he's been on the park)

When you add in his clearly unprofessional approach to the club / fans, it's a no-brainer to offload if possible in the summer

Nisbet is expected to leave, meaning for the 3 forward positions next season - I'd imagine only centre forward is available (assuming Boyle / Youan out wide)

McKirdy is in no way good enough to be our starting centre forward next season, and I don't really see any reasonable argument for him to hang around as backup either - given his behaviour / performance level since arriving

:agree:

There’s been nothing even close to magic from McKirdy this season imo. He’s been simply dreadful.

JohnM1875
10-05-2023, 01:00 PM
Thought he might have got minutes for the dev team today but not even on the bench. Think the game time would have helped.

Northernhibee
10-05-2023, 01:06 PM
Thought he might have got minutes for the dev team today but not even on the bench. Think the game time would have helped.

I'm sorry, but if you post a picture of a bench with a caption of something along the lines of "Chelsea, girlfriend, golf" then you don't deserve the privilege of wearing a Hibs shirt, even in the reserves squad.

Got a lot of making up and growing up to do before he gets that right again.

BoomtownHibees
10-05-2023, 01:10 PM

Give the lad a chance.

When were these “moments of magic?”

Cod Boy
10-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Mckirdy not involved in Newcastle today 7/9 substitutes on Saturday start the game maybe he’s played his last game for the club.

HarpOnHibee
10-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Yes everyone deserves a chance, well said.

Everyone doesn't deserve a chance. A chance is given to those who actually earn it.

BlackSheep
10-05-2023, 01:47 PM
When were these “moments of magic?”

Perhaps magic is a step too far but he has definitely shown quality moments when on the park, be it a decent shot or a cross, there’s a player there, if he hadn’t been in the public eye I think most fans would be on his side waiting for him to show us why he was signed.

Hibbyradge
10-05-2023, 02:05 PM
Thought that was Ian Murray ?

Yes, it was.

SaulGoodman
10-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Eric Cantona.

A player who knew how to deal with abusive fans.

Imagine if McKirdy had tried similar :greengrin

He would miss.

Stubbsy90+2
10-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Everyone doesn't deserve a chance. A chance is given to those who actually earn it.

:agree:

How many players have professional contracts at Hibs? Do they all deserve a chance? If they do we’d never have anything close to a settled side and we’d likely be fighting relegation.

Why does McKirdy ‘deserve’ a chance?

Hibbyradge
10-05-2023, 03:45 PM
That's a bit of a stretch with the knocking on doors bit, Dave.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/L3dxMGzt5mU

I've seen that and I get his point but McKirdy's posting stuff designed, deliberately or not, to wind up and trigger Hibs fans when he's being paid by their club.

What does he expect will happen when he deliberately says Hibs are of limited importance to him, and likes posts saying that he hates Hibs? Cuddles and understanding?

The abuse players receive is wrong, there's no two ways about that.

It's also a fact, however, that football fans can be volatile, aggressive and irrational when they feel slighted or provoked.

My advice would be not to deliberately provoke them unless you're prepared to accept the inevitable reaction.

1875Sean
11-05-2023, 09:30 PM
Perhaps magic is a step too far but he has definitely shown quality moments when on the park, be it a decent shot or a cross, there’s a player there, if he hadn’t been in the public eye I think most fans would be on his side waiting for him to show us why he was signed.

Equally at times he has looked lost, very poor and not contributed anything more often than these moments of magic

Dunbar Hibee
11-05-2023, 09:38 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-has-say-on-latest-harry-mckirdy-social-media-incident-you-are-always-being-watched-4139468

EdinMike
11-05-2023, 09:45 PM
He’s a failure, and shouldn’t appear for us again !

Greencore
11-05-2023, 10:04 PM
Guys an idiot going by his social media.

basehibby
11-05-2023, 10:43 PM
I feel for him a bit as he's obviously frustrated at not getting on the pitch - but he is not doing himself any favours effectively biting the hand that feeds him with petulant IG posts that seem designed to get the angry reaction that's resulted.
Hibs have been a step up for McKirdy with higher standards than he's been used to perhaps needed both on and off the pitch - and sadly he has struggled to come up to the mark on both counts.
His play when he has gotten onto the pitch has not been all bad, with some hints of the flair that saw him score a barrowload last season at Swindon - but the stats that matter speak for themselves with no goal contributions so far - ultimately his impact has been minimal and he has no right to expect to walk into the team. He has to earn that right and chucking the toys out the pram is not going to help.

Greenio
12-05-2023, 01:09 AM
Fact is, we've got a massive match on Sat and rather than helping us prepare, this guy is creating a distraction that we don't need because he doesn't know how to be a professional.

Forza Fred
12-05-2023, 04:43 AM
Perhaps the level of professionalism in EL2 is what McKirdy is comfortable with, and simply finds it difficult to adapt to a different environment.

Probably better for both parties if at the end of the season, we thank him for his efforts and facilitate a return ‘home’ for him.

He’s clearly unhappy here.

Waxy
12-05-2023, 05:19 AM
Perhaps the level of professionalism in EL2 is what McKirdy is comfortable with, and simply finds it difficult to adapt to a different environment.

Probably better for both parties if at the end of the season, we thank him for his efforts and facilitate a return ‘home’ for him.

He’s clearly unhappy here.
It’s probably wasting alot of good energy around the club also.
Maybe he seeks attention and any attention will do.
Some people cant grow up.

Dashing Bob S
12-05-2023, 06:18 AM
He'll come good at Hibs and light up the league next season.

flash
12-05-2023, 07:00 AM
He'll come good at Hibs and light up the league next season.

More chance of him doing that with petrol than a fitba in my humble opinion.

Springbank
12-05-2023, 07:33 AM
Was interesting to see Lee Johnson's comments in the Evening News article.

Johnson spoke well I thought - and was interesting to see he's aware that others in the squad (who are trying to achieve European football) have a view on McKirdy's behaviour.

Maybe the best thing for all would be to say to Harry "let's do exactly what you want [according to your social media]"

So this weekend Harry can take Nina to a Chelsea game (Chelsea, who, by the way, will not be qualifying for Europe next season) and play golf, as a bang average punter.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can look at qualifying for European football.

Works for me

ScottB
12-05-2023, 07:42 AM
The guy is 26, nearing the likely peak of his abilities and performance, never mind past the point of being able to make excuses for his lack of maturity. This isn’t some 20 year old with potential worth trying to develop.

Get rid.

Since452
12-05-2023, 07:55 AM
McKirdy will be away this summer I'm convinced of it.

J-C
12-05-2023, 08:03 AM
There was a good few comments when he signed re his attitude, some thought his cheeky chappy way would be good,unfortunately his football level means a cheeky chappy attitude backfires with fans when things don't go well.

DH1875
12-05-2023, 09:07 AM
The guy is 26, nearing the likely peak of his abilities and performance, never mind past the point of being able to make excuses for his lack of maturity. This isn’t some 20 year old with potential worth trying to develop.

Get rid.

Exactly. I wonder if the folk wanting to keep him have actually looked at his track record. Other than one season at Swindon, its awful. Not the caliber of player you'd want anywhere near Hibs.

Nicho87
12-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Bad egg, with McDermott’s first press release saying he want good players on a people aspect, spitting the dummy out regularly isn’t going to sit well.

Move on asap. Wasn’t convinced at the start, not convinced now.

Can do much better.