PDA

View Full Version : Brexit Benefit

Up-the-slope
05-05-2023, 09:20 AM
I hadn't realised until was reading about Hearts having given a professional contract to one of there 16 year olds that although there was interest from big clubs in England they - because after Brexit Scotland is considered 'foreign country' (cue Independence chat :greengrin) - can't sign anyone under 18!! from here.

Surely that must be a really big shot in the arm for clubs like Hibs to develop and sign our own on professional contracts early to secure our 'asset'
I know that English clubs will use their resources to find loopholes - like moving whole families south so youngsters can join their youth set ups etc but it at least gives another big of protection to us that we should use.

Now I also realise that to make use of it we have to get better at judging who has significant potential to make it at an even younger age - something while we don't know, many on here seem to suspect we have not got right often enough in recent years...

another thing for new DoF to get sorted

Mick O'Rourke
05-05-2023, 09:48 AM
I hadn't realised until was reading about Hearts having given a professional contract to one of there 16 year olds that although there was interest from big clubs in England they - because after Brexit Scotland is considered 'foreign country' (cue Independence chat :greengrin) - can't sign anyone under 18!! from here.

Surely that must be a really big shot in the arm for clubs like Hibs to develop and sign our own on professional contracts early to secure our 'asset'
I know that English clubs will use their resources to find loopholes - like moving whole families south so youngsters can join their youth set ups etc but it at least gives another big of protection to us that we should use.

Now I also realise that to make use of it we have to get better at judging who has significant potential to make it at an even younger age - something while we don't know, many on here seem to suspect we have not got right often enough in recent years...

That gave me a wee smile:greengrin
Had me thinking if Jimmy had signed for an English club when he was a Scottish Schoolboy cap (and more than a few were after his signature)
I have a vision of me .Ma an Da,2 snottery nosed wee brothers,and wee cross labrador called Cindy, Snowy the white rabbit and Joey the green budgie,all in ma auld mans shooting brake, tearin doon the A1 ,mattress on the roof rack, blowin in the wind !!!

ye ! ha! The Clermiston Hillbillies are oan there way !!:taxi

Baader
05-05-2023, 09:50 AM

I think English clubs can sign under 18s from Scotland. Brexit has impacted on signing players from overseas but it hasn't made Scotland a 'foreign' country.

It has actually made young Scottish talent more in demand down South since its easier to sign young kids here than from other markets. Which ultimately isn't good for the Scottish game.

Steven79
05-05-2023, 09:58 AM
And ironically we have more players playing in the top European leagues than we did before brexit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Springbank
05-05-2023, 10:03 AM
I suppose there is a chunk of society who notice the price of food in the shop at Meadowbank has rocketed, and how there's much less on the shelves than there was before we left the EU (while the TV companies work overtime to avoid any coverage of the equivalent supermarket - owned by the same owners - in places like Dublin, Paris & Florence) where the same shelves are rammed full of tomatoes, bananas, & where they have nothing like the same level of price inflation we have here.

That's not "independence" chat, that's "survival" chat.

Brexit guarantees our support will be poorer than they were before, so there is nothing that comes close to compensating for that, I'm afraid.

Phil MaGlass
05-05-2023, 10:32 AM
I suppose there is a chunk of society who notice the price of food in the shop at Meadowbank has rocketed, and how there's much less on the shelves than there was before we left the EU (while the TV companies work overtime to avoid any coverage of the equivalent supermarket - owned by the same owners - in places like Dublin, Paris & Florence) where the same shelves are rammed full of tomatoes, bananas, & where they have nothing like the same level of price inflation we have here.

That's not "independence" chat, that's "survival" chat.

Brexit guarantees our support will be poorer than they were before, so there is nothing that comes close to compensating for that, I'm afraid.

Hear hear.

Iain G
05-05-2023, 10:34 AM
I guess there had to be one positive somewhere about Brexit 🤣

NthCarolinaHibs
05-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Had me thinking if Jimmy had signed for an English club when he was a Scottish Schoolboy cap (and more than a few were after his signature)
I have a vision of me .Ma an Da,2 snottery nosed wee brothers,and wee cross labrador called Cindy, Snowy the white rabbit and Joey the green budgie,all in ma auld mans shooting brake, tearin doon the A1 ,mattress on the roof rack, blowin in the wind !!!

No heard "shooting break" in donkeys...made me smile 💚

Up-the-slope
05-05-2023, 01:27 PM

That's quite a picture you have painted :greengrin

Its amazing how a trip like that has changed in a few decades... I remember going to South Wales in the 70's to visit Gran (Dads mum) 7 of us in an Austin Maxi... parents in front... 3 older siblings in back & my younger brother & me lying on top of the suitcases - covered in rugs for 'comfort' - in the hatch back boot watching the stars go by for hours out the rear window....

Up-the-slope
05-05-2023, 01:36 PM
I think English clubs can sign under 18s from Scotland. Brexit has impacted on signing players from overseas but it hasn't made Scotland a 'foreign' country.

It has actually made young Scottish talent more in demand down South since its easier to sign young kids here than from other markets. Which ultimately isn't good for the Scottish game.

They can't on professional contracts- that's the point of post - according this article explaining why it helped Hearts get him to sign a Prof. contract

ElginHibbie
05-05-2023, 02:10 PM
They can't on professional contracts- that's the point of post - according this article explaining why it helped Hearts get him to sign a Prof. contract

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-beat-the-brexit-trend-with-a-statement-signing-but-the-spfl-is-losing-out-4128917

I am reading it differently, Brexit makes it harder for Scottish cubs to keep young players and Hearts keeping this lad goes against this trend?

evy
05-05-2023, 02:18 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-beat-the-brexit-trend-with-a-statement-signing-but-the-spfl-is-losing-out-4128917

I am reading it differently, Brexit makes it harder for Scottish cubs to keep young players and Hearts keeping this lad goes against this trend?

This is my take on the article as well, fwiw.

Mick O'Rourke
05-05-2023, 02:19 PM
That's quite a picture you have painted :greengrin

Its amazing how a trip like that has changed in a few decades... I remember going to South Wales in the 70's to visit Gran (Dads mum) 7 of us in an Austin Maxi... parents in front... 3 older siblings in back & my younger brother & me lying on top of the suitcases - covered in rugs for 'comfort' - in the hatch back boot watching the stars go by for hours out the rear window....

Aye. My imagination running riot!

He did have a shooting brake,though :greengrin
I think it was a 1950s Morris made car ,had wooden side panels.
I was a wee laddie !
I mind the night time drives,with horror, him driving the Lang Whang (A70) from Lanimer Days !!
Nae seat belts ! And the bevvy !!
I do mind it broke down on the old "one lane" road to South Queensferry to get the ferry across the Forth for our Burntisland trip.
What a tail back it caused:greengrin

:rolleyes: No Bridges then,bar the rail one !
Some machine it must have been :taxi

PS
we got the train for future trips !
Apologies for going off topic !!
But families being "transported" to England ?:greengrin

Enough of us Irish got "transported" to Oz !!

hibby rae
05-05-2023, 02:20 PM

Yep that's it in a nutshell, one of the reasons there are also questions about why Scottish clubs aren't bringing through many to their first teams. One big reason being those who would have been most likely to do so have already been signed by an English club. Although fees have been paid in a lot of cases too.

Baader
05-05-2023, 02:28 PM

It doesn't suggest that. Just that they've bucked the trend.

MGmick
05-05-2023, 05:02 PM

That's what I read too. In fact it's obvious straight from the headline that Brexit isn't doing Scottish football any favours. Or anyone else outwith Tory robber barons for that matter.

The Modfather
05-05-2023, 05:12 PM
Yep that's it in a nutshell, one of the reasons there are also questions about why Scottish clubs aren't bringing through many to their first teams. One big reason being those who would have been most likely to do so have already been signed by an English club. Although fees have been paid in a lot of cases too.

If Clubs, ours in particular, want to keep the top talents then they simply have to fast track them into the squad/team at 16/17. Evidence there is a pathway to the first team and what the players fast track plan is. SellI it to them that they will still get their big move in 2/3/4 years but will develop more playing first team football rather than just a number in an English clubs youth system. The clubs then get a few years first team football and a fee rather than no football and token compensation.

Easier said than done of course, potential often doesn’t mean a youngster will be good enough and English clubs have enough money to just buy all potential for the one or two who do come good out of the tens and hundreds they sign.

#2 Double Tap
05-05-2023, 05:39 PM
Imo everyone gets too hung up on spotting the next great player, no one knows how young players will develop, physically, mentally or actual ability wise. So many young guys are picked and made to feel like they are the next messi, then 2 years later shown the door……..just look over the road, they said jc not good enough, doig not good enough……no one knows, it’s all down to luck and timing.

Some folk thrive when put on the pitch, some hide. Imo all these kids should simply be playing and having fun.

Anyone know where that dembele kid from Celtic is? the next superstar in world football…….

Up-the-slope
05-05-2023, 06:00 PM

This is my take on the article as well, fwiw.

It doesn't suggest that. Just that they've bucked the trend.

That's what I read too. In fact it's obvious straight from the headline that Brexit isn't doing Scottish football any favours. Or anyone else outwith Tory robber barons for that matter.

Either that article has been altered since I read it..... or I am losing my marbles.... No guessing the most likely :aok:

Up-the-slope
05-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Aye. My imagination running riot!

He did have a shooting brake,though :greengrin
I think it was a 1950s Morris made car ,had wooden side panels.
I was a wee laddie !
I mind the night time drives,with horror, him driving the Lang Whang (A70) from Lanimer Days !!
Nae seat belts ! And the bevvy !!
I do mind it broke down on the old "one lane" road to South Queensferry to get the ferry across the Forth for our Burntisland trip.
What a tail back it caused:greengrin

:rolleyes: No Bridges then,bar the rail one !
Some machine it must have been :taxi

PS
we got the train for future trips !
Apologies for going off topic !!
But families being "transported" to England ?:greengrin

Enough of us Irish got "transported" to Oz !!

Apologies too for also hijacking my own thread (but since it appears I made a total Horlicks of it anyway ... who cares :greengrin)

The theme of journeys you remember would make a great thread - in the days of being a PM under different user name we had some good ones in there - .......

Morris Traveller (google it) is I suspect the vehicle you are remembering... one of the few cars that could suffer woodworm:faf:

The lack of bridges / motorways / service stations ... carrying spare fan belts and oil etc.. using a road AA Road Atlas (youngsters google that) .... to navigate... and my Dad could still get us there 9 hours later within 5 mins of his schedule being a stickler for time