PDA

View Full Version : Let’s get after 4th.

greenlex
23-04-2023, 04:50 PM
As it says on the tin.

H18 SFR
23-04-2023, 04:51 PM
Well up for having a go but I honestly think 5th is our glass ceiling this season.

Diclonius
23-04-2023, 05:09 PM
4th would require us to win at Tynecastle. That's a tall order.

HarpOnHibee
23-04-2023, 05:12 PM

We're more than capable of beating Hearts at Tynecastle. It's daft mistakes that cost us points there when the players allow the head games to get to them.

bingo70
23-04-2023, 05:12 PM
Well up for having a go but I honestly think 5th is our glass ceiling this season.

I think we need to wait and see how we get on at Tynecastle before writing it off. Probably agree it’s unlikely though.

greenlex
23-04-2023, 05:13 PM
But not remotely impossible.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 05:16 PM
Thought after yesterday third was gone.

We have to target catching Hearts though. Whether we do or not is a different question but it’s not impossible.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 05:20 PM
Thought after yesterday third was gone.

We have to target catching Hearts though. Whether we do or not is a different question but it’s not impossible.

If Dons win this, we’ll be 9 points behind them with 15 points to play for
Seems a long long shot, and the Dons would have to collapse for it to happen

Keith_M
23-04-2023, 05:26 PM

FT 2-0 Aberdeen.

PHeffernan
23-04-2023, 05:28 PM

Even if Hibs and Hearts beat St Mirren and Hibs beat Hearts we still finish a point behind them.
5th is where it's at for Hibs.

PHeffernan
23-04-2023, 05:30 PM
FT 2-0 Aberdeen.

Looks like they are going to scoop the group stage European money.
Well done to them.

bingo70

3rd definitely gone, the poster you’re replying to was talking about going for fourth, not third.

greenlex
Even if Hibs and Hearts beat St Mirren and Hibs beat Hearts we still finish a point behind them.
That’s the spirit. This place is ****ing mental.

Gmack7
23-04-2023, 05:31 PM

Your assuming that's all the points we will get

DIXIHIBS
23-04-2023, 05:32 PM

We play old firm and dons too. Points to be played for. The fixtures will have a big say in what happens. If hertz get old firm first and lose and we get st mirren/dons and pick up points...vice versa applies too😁

HiBremian
23-04-2023, 05:33 PM
Personally prefer 5th to 4th. Assuming one of the ugly sisters win the cup, we’d actually get a winnable tie in the Conference League, and at least one other round. So probably two Euro-trips. Plus we still avoid the league cup group stage. Only risk is a Supercaleywerefantasticcelticareatrocious cup final. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
There will be point taken from the Old Firm after the split with the league done IMO. Not many but someone will get a result somewhere along the way. Probably need it to be us to be the ones to pick something up to get better than fifth.

Really hope we avoid Celtic first game post split when they can win the league.

erin go bragh

Beat the gunts and St Mirren at home and we very well could get 4th

Unseen work
23-04-2023, 05:37 PM
We’ll beat rangers in the last game of the season at home to get 4th.

Tambo
23-04-2023, 06:06 PM
With the GD as it is then 5 points with the way things stand is not out our reach but would require a lot and with our overall form this season I have no idea.

I will support and hope we can though until the fat lady sings.

GreenGray
23-04-2023, 06:12 PM
Failing to beat poor teams at home will ultimately cost us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
23-04-2023, 06:38 PM
Failing to beat poor teams at home will ultimately cost us.

I think you’ve got to keep a bit perspective as well though.

Of course you are right however you need to take into account how bad we were last season, the steps we are making in the right direction and the fact 5th place is where we should be based on our budget. If we finish 5th this season then there’s no point looking back at what ifs, we just need to accept that’s just where we are just now.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2023, 06:48 PM
3rd is gone and 4th is unlikely imo. Been a really disappointing season but getting top six is a marginal improvement.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 06:49 PM

Of course you are right however you need to take into account how bad we were last season, the steps we are making in the right direction and the fact 5th place is where we should be based on our budget. If we finish 5th this season then there’s no point looking back at what ifs, we just need to accept that’s just where we are just now.

Kind of where I am now. I think we have too many average players and it’s been a struggle more often than not this season.

But there comes a point where there isn’t much point in moaning about what has went on. Get out of the season with a European place, move on, and hope that we do a significantly better job this summer than we did last.

Stokesy's on fire
23-04-2023, 06:50 PM
With the Huns of the north beating the main huns I think the best we can hope for now is 5th

Coach Jon
23-04-2023, 06:51 PM
Personally prefer 5th to 4th. Assuming one of the ugly sisters win the cup, we’d actually get a winnable tie in the Conference League, and at least one other round. So probably two Euro-trips. Plus we still avoid the league cup group stage. Only risk is a Supercaleywerefantasticcelticareatrocious cup final. :-)

This post typifies the loser mentality which exists around our club, far too many happy clappers in our support, we write off games against the OF and are happy to settle for fifth place. Pathetic.

Ronniekirk
23-04-2023, 06:52 PM
We have won one of our last sixth fixtures ,even if fixtures fall kindly for us ,I don’t think we are capable of doing that . Injuries remain a problem ,and we will be getting to stage players points totsl s will mean suspensions
When you looked at our bench on Saturday there was no one you would of said could come on and make a game changing contribution .
I would be looking to make sure we get Fifth for the European slot but trying to
blood a few young players that might be part of the squad next season

GreenGray
23-04-2023, 06:54 PM

You’re probably right, I’ll just struggle to get over some of those games at home against St Johnstone Ross County etc. you mention budgets our budget dwarves those teams and we should easily be beating them.

Saw a stat on Twitter that if you don’t count the old firm games we have the best head to head record against other teams in the top 6, showing it’s the failure to beat the worse teams that has cost us.

HiBremian
23-04-2023, 06:57 PM
This post typifies the loser mentality which exists around our club, far too many happy clappers in our support, we write off games against the OF and are happy to settle for fifth place. Pathetic.

Nah, nothing to do with loser mentality, just the opposite. I want more European games. Just being realistic about how to achieve it.

DIXIHIBS
23-04-2023, 07:08 PM

Its called reality. Nobody is happy to settle for anything but thats where we are at. No team has challenged the uglies for over 30 years now and thats unlikely to change. We will try and get 4th but if its 5th so be it. In the meantime maybe you should spend less time calling fellow hibbies pathetic happy clappers naw?

Tyler Durden
23-04-2023, 07:11 PM
Beat Hearts and even if we end up 5th it’ll be something to build on. We’ll have the bragging rights and even if they’re a place ahead it’ll make no odds for Europe

Keith_M
23-04-2023, 07:14 PM

The reason we pretty much write off games against the OF is because they now appear to be on a whole different level.

And who's happy to settle for fifth place? Most of us have written off a decent finish purely because of how poor we've been, not because they think it's OK.

Coach Jon
23-04-2023, 07:15 PM
Its called reality. Nobody is happy to settle for anything but thats where we are at. No team has challenged the uglies for over 30 years now and thats unlikely to change. We will try and get 4th but if its 5th so be it. In the meantime maybe you should spend less time calling fellow hibbies pathetic happy clappers naw?
The poster I was replying to had stated that he would PREFER Hibs to finish 5th instead of 4th. Not acceptable to me, we would be giving up a place probably to them, and consequently the ensuing prize money, also not acceptable to me, but you crack on.

Keith_M
23-04-2023, 07:17 PM
The poster I was replying to had stated that he would PREFER Hibs to finish 5th instead of 4th. Not acceptable to me, we would be giving up a place probably to them, and consequently the ensuing prize money, also not acceptable to me, but you crack on.

You said it 'typifies the loser mentality' in our support. That goes way beyond criticising one poster.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 07:19 PM
Beat Hearts and even if we end up 5th it’ll be something to build on. We’ll have the bragging rights and even if they’re a place ahead it’ll make no odds for Europe

Would mean entering a round earlier but I take the point. Securing Europe and beating them a couple of time would be a positive end to the season, give Johnson a wee bit of credit in the bank, and let us go in to the summer with some degree of positivity.

Stubbsy90+2
23-04-2023, 07:20 PM

Whilst I don’t agree with it I can see where the poster is coming from.

European games will be the best part of our season next season should we qualify.

If you get two of them then as a fan, that’s better than one, especially when it comes to the away ties.

I’m fast losing interest in watching Hibs, but two European trips would at least give me something to look forward to. If we finish 5th we should be seeded against a team we should comfortably beat and seeded in the next round which puts us in the exact same position as the 4th place team anyway.

Prize money wise you’d probably make it back up in the extra European game such is the difference.

Shrekko
23-04-2023, 07:21 PM

If only we had more fans who won't settle for 5th we'd definitely finish higher up the league.

You're basically ridiculing fans for being loyal, when that is exactly what you want them to be. Without fans loyalty the club would be in a heck of a worse state than it is now- you've got to be a moron to think otherwise.

It's been asked time and time again to those who criticise fellow fans for 'accepting' mediocrity- what actions do you take to show you don't accept it and how will they make things better? I'm sure if we have a better grasp we'd know if it's worth giving a bash.

I'm glad our season still has meaning- it's murder when the last 5 games mean nothing. Qualifying for Europe in 5th would be ok after last season and much better than playing the League Cup group stage.

McGruber
23-04-2023, 08:49 PM
Looks like they are going to scoop the group stage European money.
Well done to them.

The 6-0 game where either Johnson or Goodwin was getting the sack has turned out to be the catalyst for them. They lost the game, changed management and kicked on. We win, stuck with Johnson and have continued to be pretty average. Quirks of fate

flash
23-04-2023, 08:54 PM
The 6-0 game where either Johnson or Goodwin was getting the sack has turned out to be the catalyst for them. They lost the game, changed management and kicked on. We win, stuck with Johnson and have continued to be pretty average. Quirks of fate

If only we had lost 6-0.

Unseen work
23-04-2023, 09:01 PM

I don’t think any manager would have resulted in us winning 7 in a row.

This is an unbelievable spell for Robson and Aberdeen, but I’ll judge him next season. I can’t imagine he’ll be a roaring success

Is It On....
23-04-2023, 10:31 PM

It's not really a quirk of fate. Johnson is an average manager and, if he is here next year, we will likely end up 5th - 7th again when the league splits which, in a 12 team league, is about average.

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-04-2023, 10:57 PM
Honestly I just really want to play Linfield and batter them 7-0

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 11:16 PM
It's not really a quirk of fate. Johnson is an average manager and, if he is here next year, we will likely end up 5th - 7th again when the league splits which, in a 12 team league, is about average.
Taking into account what our manager has had to deal with this season and comparing it to last season I feel we have made some progress this year and there's no if's about him being here next year he will be imo . We will be in top 6 next year 3rd , 4th or 5th depending on how well we recruit btw.

As to Johnson being a average manager I seem to remember on here a few wanting him sacked and Malky McKay , Callum Davidson , David Martindale and Derek McInnes as new manager , personally I'm glad we have Johnson over them 😉

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-04-2023, 11:23 PM
Taking into account what our manager has had to deal with this season and comparing it to last season I feel we have made some progress this year and there's no if's about him being here next year he will be imo . We will be in top 6 next year 3rd , 4th or 5th depending on how well we recruit btw.

As to Johnson being a average manager I seem to remember on here a few wanting him sacked and Malky McKay , Callum Davidson , David Martindale and Derek McInnes as new manager , personally I'm glad we have Johnson over them [emoji6]

I hope LJ proves me wrong but I’d say at least McKay, Martindale (trying to be unbiased here as I’ve already mentioned previously that I have known the guy personally, but he’s proven to be tactically astute at this level) and McInnes of that lot are better managers than him (Davidson pulled off a miracle with St Johnstone and full credit to him). That doesn’t mean I’d necessarily want them at Hibs, but their track records speak for themselves.

1875Sean
23-04-2023, 11:24 PM
Interesting to see if you take the ugly sisters out of it we have the best record against the other teams

https://twitter.com/AgentScotland/status/1650079281064689665?s=20

Is It On....
23-04-2023, 11:50 PM

As to Johnson being a average manager I seem to remember on here a few wanting him sacked and Malky McKay , Callum Davidson , David Martindale and Derek McInnes as new manager , personally I'm glad we have Johnson over them 😉

Of the names you mention, I think that Martindale is the best and better than Johnson and would be a managerial appointment (in purely football terms) that we wouldn't regret. I do however recognise that his background is, to put it charitably, problematic.

Donegal Hibby
24-04-2023, 12:24 AM
I hope LJ proves me wrong but I’d say at least McKay, Martindale (trying to be unbiased here as I’ve already mentioned previously that I have known the guy personally, but he’s proven to be tactically astute at this level) and McInnes of that lot are better managers than him (Davidson pulled off a miracle with St Johnstone and full credit to him). That doesn’t mean I’d necessarily want them at Hibs, but their track records speak for themselves.

My view on it mate is that I feel LJ has came into our club that's been struggling , failed recruitment, injuries, bad refereeing and var decisions , players signed by the last two previous managers that I think he doesn't want but is finding it extremely hard to move them on . Even if he hadn't made top 6 I'd have given him next season tbh with you or any other manager who was in charge of us in these circumstances btw .

Malky McKay's Ross county plays the worst football in the league and I think will be relegated. I will also try and be unbiased and leave Martindale's past to the side and judge him as a manager , he has done well at a wee club playing hoof football on a pitch that's basically unplayable on .

Twice we have whipped them 4-1 under LJ to which I really didn't see anything to say he was tactical astute ( no plan B ). Derek McInnes has a decent record though the style of football his teams play is awful. Callum Davidson had a few exceptionally good players when he joined though when they left it was all downhill from there . If LJ had been sacked and one of these appointed I'd have seriously thought we had taken another step backwards btw !

PHeffernan
24-04-2023, 12:47 AM

What supporters type on this forum has nothing to do with the mentality of the club and posters on here are ill equipped to talk about the mentality of the club.
The only thing that supporters can do to make a positive impact on the club is to buy season tickets, be home walk ups, buy food and stuff from the shop etc and support the players on match day.
As for settling for 5th, the players will try their best in all 5 games so again nothing supporters think will impact on that.

Donegal Hibby
24-04-2023, 12:58 AM
Of the names you mention, I think that Martindale is the best and better than Johnson and would be a managerial appointment (in purely football terms) that we wouldn't regret. I do however recognise that his background is, to put it charitably, problematic.
In purely football terms i think under Martindale we would need to replace our pitch at ER with a worn out carpet so we didn't regret it btw 😁

JimBHibees
24-04-2023, 06:07 AM
Assume there would be a big difference in terms of finance if getting 4th over 5th. What is the difference Europe wise with 4th over 5th

Trinity Hibee
24-04-2023, 06:09 AM
Assume there would be a big difference in terms of finance if getting 4th over 5th. What is the difference Europe wise with 4th over 5th

I think it is:

4th plays a qualifier and a play off to reach conf groups
5th plays 2 qualifiers and a play off to reach conf groups

JimBHibees
24-04-2023, 06:12 AM
I think it is:

4th plays a qualifier and a play off to reach conf groups
5th plays 2 qualifiers and a play off to reach conf groups

Thanks certainly league money would see a pretty significant difference

Trinity Hibee
24-04-2023, 06:16 AM
Thanks certainly league money would see a pretty significant difference

Probably 100-200k difference I’d think so not miserly.

Ronniekirk
24-04-2023, 09:20 AM

This is an unbelievable spell for Robson and Aberdeen, but I’ll judge him next season. I can’t imagine he’ll be a roaring success

Is he not still caretaker manager

JimBHibees
24-04-2023, 10:06 AM
Probably 100-200k difference I’d think so not miserly.

Tried to find the spfl prize money however not sure that the figures in this site are accurate. Strange didn’t appear to be able to get a Scottish site with the info. Seems to suggest bigger difference between 4th and 5th payout

https://www.totalsportal.com/football/scottish-premiership-prize-money/

PHeffernan
24-04-2023, 10:58 AM

Last season it was £500k difference.

£3.5 million for 3rd
£2.5 million for 4th
£2 million for 5th and 6th

Keith_M
24-04-2023, 11:12 AM

In fairness, we had a seven game spell with 5 wins and 2 draws (would have been 6 and 1, but for a bad refereeing decision).

I don't really understand how we went from such a decent spell to the four successive defeats.

I can forgive losing the two games to the OF, but not the manner of those defeats, where we just didn't compete. The Dundee United and Motherwell games were even more disappointing.

Billy Whizz
24-04-2023, 12:08 PM
Last season it was £500k difference.

£3.5 million for 3rd
£2.5 million for 4th
£2 million for 5th and 6th

And it’s up 20% this season v last

JimBHibees
24-04-2023, 12:59 PM
In fairness, we had a seven game spell with 5 wins and 2 draws (would have been 6 and 1, but for a bad refereeing decision).

I don't really understand how we went from such a decent spell to the four successive defeats.

I can forgive losing the two games to the OF, but not the manner of those defeats, where we just didn't compete. The Dundee United and Motherwell games were even more disappointing.

Agree about Rangers game however think we competed well against Celtic given we had a player wrongly sent off in 20 mins and they get a joke penalty. Motherwell and United game were both poor.

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2023, 05:47 PM
Bizarre that we’re still in contention for a European place.