PDA

View Full Version : Europe 2023/2034. How and when

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:01 AM
What placement in the League , would get hibs into the various european competitions, and when would these likely occur.
I have a 20 year old, that just wants to go to a hibs european game. 🤔

Jones28
23-04-2023, 09:01 AM
If one of the old firm win the cup fifth place gets europe.

It would be the conference league.

JohnM1875
23-04-2023, 09:05 AM

And probably about 310 qualifiers, still Europe though I guess.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:07 AM

Brilliant, hard to want either team to win anything, but on this occasion.
That would give us a chance.👍🏻

Stubbsy90+2
23-04-2023, 09:07 AM
What placement in the League , would get hibs into the various european competitions, and when would these likely occur.
I have a 20 year old, that just wants to go to a hibs european game. 🤔

If nothing has changed from last season in terms of what Scotland is awarded Europe wise:

3rd place: Europa League playoff. One tie to get into the Europa League groups. If you lose youre straight into the Conference League group.

4th place: Conference League 3rd qualifying round. You’d need to win that and a playoff to reach the group. You lose, you’re out.

5th: Conference League 2nd qualifying round. You’d need to win that, a 3rd qualifying round and a playoff to reach the group. You lose, you’re out.

This is on the basis of the Scottish Cup winner being an Old Firm team. If neither of the Old firm win the cup then the 4th and 5th place places above would go to 3rd and 4th with the cup winner getting the ‘3rd place’ spot for Europa League groups with defeat in that game guaranteeing them Conference League group

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:09 AM
If 5th is Europe assume same round as Motherwell Sligo which was 21st and 28th July.

Bristolhibby
23-04-2023, 09:14 AM
Assuming same round as Motherwell Sligo which was 21st and 28th July.

Would be 20th and 27th this year then?

J

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:14 AM
I didn’t pay much attention to the Scottish Cup, after hibs we’re knocked out, but with Inverness and Falkirk in one semi, it would need a crazy set of results, for the old firm, not to win the cup.
5th place looks a real possibility.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:18 AM
Would be 20th and 27th this year then?

J

2nd qualifying round seems to be 27th July and 3rd August so later than I thought if correct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:19 AM
I didn’t pay much attention to the Scottish Cup, after hibs we’re knocked out, but with Inverness and Falkirk in one semi, it would need a crazy set of results, for the old firm, not to win the cup.

Pretty much a certainty I would have thought.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 09:20 AM
2nd qualifying round seems to be 27th July and 3rd August so later than I thought if correct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

New league season kicks off 5/6 August. Another bonus of getting Europe, is you miss out of the League Cups groups too, and straight into the last 16

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:21 AM
New league season kicks off 5/6 August. Another bonus of getting Europe, is you miss out of the League Cups groups too, and straight into the last 16

Yep huge incentive seeded draw also in last 16

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 09:23 AM

If the post split fixtures are kind to Hibs, get the 3 home games were due, St Mirren at home could be the key game

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Actually stop this now, i can feel myself getting excited by playing in the conference league qualifying.
You can’t beat a game abroad with team.
Tripola was amazing with that John Mcginn goal, and Lenny doing the airplane at the hibs end.

BoomtownHibees
23-04-2023, 09:34 AM

It wouldn’t need a crazy set of results, just 1, as unlikely that is

Nutmegged
23-04-2023, 09:35 AM
I heard we'll be at Pittodrie on the final day of the season, could go there needing a win to secure a European spot and possibly hand Hearts 3rd spot and €5m, doesn't bare thinking about.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:41 AM
I heard we'll be at Pittodrie on the final day of the season, could go there needing a win to secure a European spot and possibly hand Hearts 3rd spot and €5m, doesn't bare thinking about.

To be honest, anytime hibs beat Aberdeen at pittodrie is a right bonus, no matter the league outcome.
The worst away end in the League, absolutely falling apart.

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2023, 09:41 AM

Hibs all that matters. If we win at Tynecastle, we should be finishing 4th anyway.

Steve20
23-04-2023, 09:55 AM
We should be challenging for 3rd considering how bad Aberdeen and Hearts have been for parts this season.

Shambles that we were scraping about to get top six on last game before the split and 5th should never be seen as good enough.

One of Aberdeen or Hearts will be getting £5m for group football. 4th and 5th place have little chance of getting through qualifiers.

Paul1642
23-04-2023, 09:59 AM
Hibs all that matters. If we win at Tynecastle, we should be finishing 4th anyway.

Winning at Tynecastle is not our specialty. Also even if we do we still need to pick up two more points than hearts from the other 4 games to get above them. It’s going to be a big ask.

LustForLeith
23-04-2023, 10:02 AM
I’m in the minority of Hibs fans who wonder if Europe would be a step too far just now. Massive improvements needed to the squad.

HFC93
23-04-2023, 10:03 AM
Biggest bonus IF we get into Europe is we don't have to play in the League Cup group stage.

Hibernian Verse
23-04-2023, 10:07 AM
I’m in the minority of Hibs fans who wonder if Europe would be a step too far just now. Massive improvements needed to the squad.

And money from Europe would help that.

Hibbyradge
23-04-2023, 10:08 AM

It would be a jolly or 2 for the fans.

It might also make us a bit more attractive to potential recruits.

BoomtownHibees
23-04-2023, 10:08 AM

It’s better than not qualifying surely?

Springbank
23-04-2023, 10:10 AM

We'll have Martin Boyle back, still have Nisbet, so the big questions up top are about trying to keep Kukharevych/Youan

Midfield needs surgery I agree - I just don't see it in JDH, but I think Jeggo does the CDM role fine, Newell fine, Campbell fine

Defence & Keeper - If we lose Fish then I guess we'd be looking at Cadden, Rocky, Hanlon, Lewis (with Marshall behind)
Not ideal and I'd be prioritising defence & a good centre mid

But we're not in such bad shape when Boyler's back

Hibbyradge
23-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Biggest bonus IF we get into Europe is we don't have to play in the League Cup group stage.

Good point

SJNB Hibby
23-04-2023, 10:24 AM
AND you're seeded in that draw

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 10:38 AM
AND you're seeded in that draw

Yep

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 11:09 AM
Presume we’re seeded in Europe too, if we get 4th/5th in the 2nd round

Diclonius
23-04-2023, 11:52 AM
To be honest I'd love a European tie even if it's a preliminary round against some minnows. The 6-4 against Runavik was one of the most fun Hibs games I've ever (digitally) seen.

DIXIHIBS
23-04-2023, 12:00 PM

You probably are in the minority 😀. Its not like we will be playing real Madrid or something. The level we would possibly go in at would be conference qualifying so fairly poor teams at euro level. Defo good for players and fans imho.

.Sean.
23-04-2023, 12:14 PM
You probably are in the minority 😀. It’s not like we will be playing real Madrid or something. The level we would possibly go in at would be conference qualifying so fairly poor teams at euro level. Defo good for players and fans imho.
Playing in Europe may also be an incentive when attracting prospective signings

Stubbsy90+2
23-04-2023, 12:16 PM
And money from Europe would help that.

I’m not sure you make all that much money from Europe unless you finish third. I’m sure the costs are supposed to be fairly significant compared to the amount you make unless you get to the groups.

Edina Street
23-04-2023, 12:55 PM
I am not a fan of 5th place getting into Europe, but seen as it is Hibs I'll make an exception. I was actually previously unaware that 5th place could in fact make it into Europe. But us getting into Europe is far from a gimmie. The game against St Mirren is a six pointer, and avoiding defeat against Hearts and Aberdeen is a must, unless we want to find ourselves having to rely on taking points off of the auld-firm.

Is It On....
23-04-2023, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately I think Aberdeen and Hearts will be the teams battling it out for 3rd / 4th; so 3-4 points would hopefully get us 5th.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 07:41 PM
I believe the new fixture list is out tomorrow.

Carheenlea
23-04-2023, 07:49 PM
To be honest, anytime hibs beat Aberdeen at pittodrie is a right bonus, no matter the league outcome.
The worst away end in the League, absolutely falling apart.

I’m not sure how exactly that away end can be passed off as an acceptable facility for visiting fans in 2023.

Even if they have managed to somehow pass regulations to allow fans into it, they shouldn’t be allowed to charge any more than £7 for an adult ticket.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 09:08 PM
[/B]

I’m not sure how exactly that away end can be passed off as an acceptable facility for visiting fans in 2023.

Even if they have managed to somehow pass regulations to allow fans into it, they shouldn’t be allowed to charge any more than £7 for an adult ticket.
It’s genuinely shocking.👍🏻

Glory Lurker
23-04-2023, 09:18 PM
[/B]

Not jus the away end. The whole stadium is a joke.

I see that Aberdeen Council's plan for the beachfront no longer includes the new stadium as a definite part, that after the Kingsmill (or whatever) plan falling on its bum.

They have got away with murder up there for years, decades even. Easy to get decent placings when you are that even your home fans watch it in a hovel.

marinello59
23-04-2023, 09:24 PM
Not jus the away end. The whole stadium is a joke.

I see that Aberdeen Council's plan for the beachfront no longer includes the new stadium as a definite part, that after the Kingsmill (or whatever) plan falling on its bum.

They have got away with murder up there for years, decades even. Easy to get decent placings when you are that even your home fans watch it in a hovel.

The beachfront stadium plan fell apart when it was pointed out to AFC they would have to pay for it. I make that their fourth failed attempt to get somebody else to pay for their new home. They are never moving away from their current hovel.

Scotty Leither
23-04-2023, 09:33 PM
[/B]

I think that away corner is downright dangerous. Very little legroom and parts of the concrete terrace is crumbling underfoot.

It’s a tip.

JimBHibees
24-04-2023, 06:16 AM
The beachfront stadium plan fell apart when it was pointed out to AFC they would have to pay for it. I make that their fourth failed attempt to get somebody else to pay for their new home. They are never moving away from their current hovel.

Didn’t realise the stadium outside the city had been binned just assumed it was taking a while

Hibernian Verse
24-04-2023, 07:41 AM
Ok I'll be the one...here are the teams currently in the second qualifying round of the Conference League. We would be seeded so will avoid the bigger ones.

Bodo/Glimt (seeded)
Genk (seeded)
Rosenborg (seeded)
Djurgardens (possible seeding)
Hammarby (possible seeding)
Neftci (AZE)
Ordabasy (KAZ)
Aktobe (KAZ)
Zalgiris (LIT)
KuPS (FIN)
Auda (LAT)

Billy Whizz
24-04-2023, 07:43 AM
Ok I'll be the one...here are the teams currently in the second qualifying round of the Conference League. We would be seeded so will avoid the bigger ones.

Bodo/Glimt (seeded)
Genk (seeded)
Rosenborg (seeded)
Djurgardens (possible seeding)
Hammarby (possible seeding)
Neftci (AZE)
Ordabasy (KAZ)
Aktobe (KAZ)
Zalgiris (LIT)
KuPS (FIN)
Auda (LAT)

You really want to avoid some of the Scandinavian teams who play a summer league

Hibernian Verse
24-04-2023, 08:10 AM
You really want to avoid some of the Scandinavian teams who play a summer league

We should do until the third round at least, with the possible exception of a couple of poor teams.

Interestingly the summer leagues are;

Armenia
Norway
Iceland
Lithuania
Sweden
Finland
Ireland
Latvia

Garymcl
24-04-2023, 08:28 AM
Give me the chance of another European jolly don’t care how we qualify it’s for the fans and memories we as supporters just have to keep doing what we’ve done all season and back the team in huge numbers especially the home games coming up which looks like the old firm and st mirren let’s get the three stands against the uglies sold out the other game it will be 3 + most of the south :flag:

erin go bragh
24-04-2023, 10:57 AM
We should be challenging for 3rd considering how bad Aberdeen and Hearts have been for parts this season.

Shambles that we were scraping about to get top six on last game before the split and 5th should never be seen as good enough.

One of Aberdeen or Hearts will be getting £5m for group football. 4th and 5th place have little chance of getting through qualifiers.
For us to be in with a great chance of qualifying for Europe after the horrendous run we had ( 2 wins in about 15 ) Aberdeen will get 3rd and if we can finish 4th
I’d like to see Inverness winning the cup and bumping Aberdeen out of the group stage football and Hearts into the League cup groups.

PHeffernan
24-04-2023, 04:03 PM
For us to be in with a great chance of qualifying for Europe after the horrendous run we had ( 2 wins in about 15 ) Aberdeen will get 3rd and if we can finish 4th
I’d like to see Inverness winning the cup and bumping Aberdeen out of the group stage football and Hearts into the League cup groups.

The chances of us finishing 4th are remote.
Probably looking at having to beat Hearts and Aberdeen away and St Mirren at home.

HIBS NUTS
24-04-2023, 07:08 PM

Latvia please .
Me and the mrs went a beach holiday there, one summer, it was absolutely boiling, and very cheap.😄

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Teams now qualified for the 2nd qualifying round are;

Viktoria Plzen
Club Brugge
Aris
Bodo/Glimt
Rosenborg
Maccabi Tel-Aviv
Djurgardens
Hammarby
Neftci
Sabah
Zalaegerszeg
Legia Warsaw
Pogon Szczecin
Lech Poznan
Ordabasy
Aktobe
Spartak Trnava
KuPS
Kauno Zalgiris
Auda

Diclonius
15-05-2023, 03:20 PM
If we get a Nordic team we're not going through.

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2023, 03:21 PM
If we get a Nordic team we're not going through.

Unlikely that we will in the second round. KuPS and the Norweigan teams are seeded already, likely that the Swedes join them.

SteveHFC
15-05-2023, 03:31 PM
Ajax might be in the Europa Conference.

15-05-2023, 04:23 PM

We'll wipe the floor with them!

SteveHFC
15-05-2023, 04:23 PM
We'll wipe the floor with them!

Indeed.

15-05-2023, 04:26 PM
Indeed.

That reply was as quick as a Flash!

flash
15-05-2023, 05:04 PM
That reply was as quick as a Flash!

Aye beat me all ends up.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2023, 05:34 PM

They’ve had a rotten season since they beat Rangers

Hermit Crab
15-05-2023, 05:37 PM
I think 5th gets us 2 qualifiers then a playoff proper before the group stages. We'd have to be very unlucky to get a strong team in the qualifiers. The playoff is pot luck though. You could draw a big name.

I had a look at this seasons qualifiers and I think only 1 team made it all the way to the group stages but I can't mind who, the rest seemed to qualify in their own right through league placings. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd round qualifiers are nearly all spam teams.

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2023, 09:20 AM
I think 5th gets us 2 qualifiers then a playoff proper before the group stages. We'd have to be very unlucky to get a strong team in the qualifiers. The playoff is pot luck though. You could draw a big name.

I had a look at this seasons qualifiers and I think only 1 team made it all the way to the group stages but I can't mind who, the rest seemed to qualify in their own right through league placings. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd round qualifiers are nearly all spam teams.

The playoff will likely be a step too far imo.

bringbackbenny
16-05-2023, 09:33 AM

I think that's generally true you might be thinking of Alkmaar, they've got to the semi finals of the ECL but had to play 3 qualifying rounds to even get to the Group stages, pumping Dundee United on the way.

Fergus52
16-05-2023, 10:18 AM

We'll almost definitely be unseeded for the third round and will probably go out at that stage.

No way would I be calling Basel, Slavia Prague, Istanbul basakshehir, az Alkmaar, molde, steau Bucharest, Anderlecht or wolfsberger "spam teams" as a Hibs fan, all of them would comfortably beat us over two legs.

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2023, 10:22 AM
We'll almost definitely be unseeded for the third round and will probably go out at that stage.

No way would I be calling Basel, Slavia Prague, Istanbul basakshehir, az Alkmaar, molde, steau Bucharest, Anderlecht or wolfsberger "spam teams" as a Hibs fan, all of them would comfortably beat us over two legs.

Thanks to the Huns last season our coefficient is higher for 2023/24 than it has been for years so it's possible that we could sneak into the seeded teams.

Green Man
16-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Thanks to the Huns last season our coefficient is higher for 2023/24 than it has been for years so it's possible that we could sneak into the seeded teams.

I think seeding is based on club coefficient rather than country, the country coefficient just affects the stage you enter at.

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2023, 10:50 AM
I think seeding is based on club coefficient rather than country, the country coefficient just affects the stage you enter at.

A club's five-season coefficient is the cumulative total of the previous five seasons' coefficients, or 20% of its association's five-season association coefficient, whichever is higher.

As our coefficient is technically 4.00, we take the 20% rule and run with 7.38.

Green Man
16-05-2023, 10:51 AM
A club's five-season coefficient is the cumulative total of the previous five seasons' coefficients, or 20% of its association's five-season association coefficient, whichever is higher.

As our coefficient is technically 2.00, we take the 20% rule.

Ah nice one, wasn’t aware of that so thanks for putting me right.

Every year I look at the qualification rules for Europe and every year it gives me a headache :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2023, 10:52 AM
Ah nice one, wasn’t aware of that so thanks for putting me right.

Every year I look at the qualification rules for Europe and every year it gives me a headache :greengrin

No worries I only learnt that yesterday. I've edited my post to make it accurate.

Aberdeen (8.000)
Celtic FC (31.000)
Dundee FC (7.380)
Dundee United (7.380)
Hamilton Academical (7.380)
Hearts (7.380)
Hibernian (7.380)
Inverness CT (7.380)
Kilmarnock FC (7.380)
Livingston FC (7.380)
Motherwell FC (7.380)
Partick Thistle (7.380)
Rangers FC (54.000)
Ross County FC (7.380)
St. Johnstone FC (7.380)
St. Mirren FC (7.380)

Centre Hawf
16-05-2023, 11:10 AM
No worries I only learnt that yesterday. I've edited my post to make it accurate.

Aberdeen (8.000)
Celtic FC (31.000)
Dundee FC (7.380)
Dundee United (7.380)
Hamilton Academical (7.380)
Hearts (7.380)
Hibernian (7.380)
Inverness CT (7.380)
Kilmarnock FC (7.380)
Livingston FC (7.380)
Motherwell FC (7.380)
Partick Thistle (7.380)
Rangers FC (54.000)
Ross County FC (7.380)
St. Johnstone FC (7.380)
St. Mirren FC (7.380)

Quite grim/confusing that our tally (a team that has won a fixture in the last 4 years, albeit against minnows) is the same as someone like Partick or Dundee, neither of which have seen European soil since the mid 90s and early 00s respectively.

But yet we're also so close to Aberdeen who to be fair to them have won 6 ties in the last 4 years. But we're also still the same as Hearts who made it to the Group Stage (by default) and won two games within it.

Fergus52
16-05-2023, 12:25 PM

7.38 wasn't enough last season, but aye fingers crossed it's enough this year.

I actually think our biggest hope of making the groups is To be unseeded for qualifying round 3, get the worst team that has a good enough coefficient to be seeded for the play off, get lucky over 2 legs and put them out, then have an easier chance at the play off as we'd be seeded using our 3rd round opponents coefficient in the draw.

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2023, 03:32 PM
7.38 wasn't enough last season, but aye fingers crossed it's enough this year.

I actually think our biggest hope of making the groups is To be unseeded for qualifying round 3, get the worst team that has a good enough coefficient to be seeded for the play off, get lucky over 2 legs and put them out, then have an easier chance at the play off as we'd be seeded using our 3rd round opponents coefficient in the draw.

You make it sound easy :greengrin

I think you're right though, you want to be unseeded for Q3 and take the seeded teams coefficient for the playoff.

It'll be really hard to get through but (hopefully) we're at least going to be in the draw.

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Interestingly, the draw is in just over 4 weeks 21/6/23. Mental.

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2023, 04:52 PM
Does 4th place go into the 3rd qualifying round seeded? Or is the only difference between 4th and 5th likely to be one extra round where you’ll be seeded and likely playing a poor side anyway?

If so then in a roundabout way the extra 2 competitive games you’d get in 5th place could almost work in your favour in terms of being ready for the better sides in round 3.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Does 4th place go into the 3rd qualifying round seeded? Or is the only difference between 4th and 5th likely to be one extra round where you’ll be seeded and likely playing a poor side anyway?

If so then in a roundabout way the extra 2 competitive games you’d get in 5th place could almost work in your favour in terms of being ready for the better sides in round 3.
That’s correct, providing Celtic win the Scottish Cup. Think we’d be seeded in the 2nd round, but not sure about the 3rd round, and qualifying round

Fergus52
16-05-2023, 05:30 PM

The only thing that matters for seeding in each round is the club's coefficient, Aberdeen could come 5th and enter at the second round and still be seeded for the third round while eg us or st mirren, with a lower coefficient, could come 4th and be unseeded for it.

Our coefficient is 7.38 which last season wasn't enough to be seeded for the third round, but there's a small chance it may be next season depending on which teams qualify and progress.