PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St Johnstone 22 04 23)

Jonnyboy
22-04-2023, 08:59 PM
It’s taken me a while to calm down after returning from Perth where I witnessed the most appalling display of refereeing, I’ve seen for a very long time. Craig Napier was poor from the off and as the ninety minutes ticked along his control of proceedings deteriorated rapidly. So many poor decisions, not least of which the quite ludicrous red card dished out to Jeggo together with an inability to allow the game to flow he spoiled whatever spectacle we might have seen had he been competent. Both sides had a lot to play for, but Napier seemed hell bent on making himself the centre of attention and sadly he pretty much succeeded. His final act, laughing at the Hibs fans booing him as he trooped off at the final whistle, was disgraceful to say the least.

As expected, Lee Johnson went with the same eleven that started against Hearts whilst Campbell and Kuharevich missed out completely, leaving space on the bench for Tavares and Delferriere. The hosts had ex Hibs men Wotherspoon and Wright in their starting eleven with another two on the bench in Murphy and Hallberg.

The hosts started the brighter and McPherson had a couple of chances to score but the first was blocked and the second flew wide of a post. Next, a sclaffed clearance by David Marshall went straight to Drey Wright some twenty yards out. Wright shot first time, but Marshall got down smartly to redeem himself with a save. Hibs just couldn’t seem to get going on a poor playing surface and in very windy conditions, but Youan raised the spirits when he cut in from the left and fired a right footed shot towards goal, but the ball drifted wide of the target.

Referee Napier seemed unable or perhaps unwilling to acknowledge that Kevin Nisbet was being continually fouled, but always there to penalise any challenge by a Hibs player with a free kick. Around the twenty five minute mark, Wright got a shot away, but it was well blocked by Will Fish but minutes later, Cadden conceded a corner under pressure and when the ball was swung into the area, several attempts to clear were poor and then Stevie May tried an overhead kick from about twelve yards which lacked power but somehow found its way past Marshall. It was a shocking error from the Hibs captain and the fans around me were not slow to offer justified criticism of such a blunder.

To be fair, Hibs responded well, and it took a good save from Matthews to deny Nisbet. Two minutes later, the ball reached Youan wide on the left. Elie passed inside to Stevenson who took a touch before smashing the ball past Matthews for an equaliser. Lewis doesn’t score many but this one was a beauty. The visitors were trying to get up a head of steam but niggly fouls, mostly on Nisbet ensured there was little flow. From a corner, Liam Gordon’s header was easily saved by Marshall and then Hanlon himself drew a save from Matthews following a Newell cross.

The half time break brought no changes by either side but early in the half, Marshall made amends for his earlier error by getting down quickly to a fierce shot by Wright. At the other end, Nisbet set up Doyle-Hayes and then the latter named set up Cadden but both shots on goal were blocked. Four minutes into the half, referee Napier flashed a red card at Jeggo. The Hibs man had competed for a 50 50 ball with McLennan. Jeggo won the ball as McLennan arrived and there was contact but, and I’ve not seen this since, I strongly believe Jeggo won the ball fairly and did not lift his leg on the follow through. It was never a red and I hope Hibs appeal it as it was yet another nonsense decision from an incompetent referee.

Hibs would be up against it now and St Johnstone could smell blood. A Stevie May shot was well saved by Marshall and whenever Hibs looked to clear they had only Nisbet to aim for and the Hibs striker was being bashed around by Considine and McGowan. On one occasion, Nisbet was incensed at the lack of protection and slid in to try and stop a clearance. There was no contact with the defender, but Napier sprinted across and promptly booked Nisbet. A few minutes later, Daniel Phillips was finally booked after about his tenth foul of the game felled Doyle-Hayes. Wotherspoon was then replaced by Hallberg and the first involvement of the new man was to be booked for a crude challenge on Newell.

Egan-Riley was next in the book for what looked a bread and butter challenge, and the Hibs man was both unhappy and mystified at Napier’s decision. From the free kick, Hallberg had a right footed shot saved by Marshall and then Nisbet was injured in a challenge that seemed to be a head knock. The referee indicated the physio to come on, but Nisbet was now back on his feet and indicating he didn’t need treatment, but Napier wasn’t having any of it, wildly gesticulating for the physio to come on which he eventually did but offered no treatment and yet Nisbet was told to go off. Egan-Riley was looking as though he might be in trouble with the ref and so Lee Johnson replaced him with Henderson, moving Cadden to right back.

St Johnstone brought on Jamie Murphy and immediately placed him wide left against Cadden and Marshall was soon in action again, denying Hallberg with a fine save. A May header at the back post was kept out by the leg of Marshall and the keeper pulled off another fine save to deny Hallberg. The clock was ticking down and Hibs were under the cosh with five minutes left when Youan was replaced by Miller, adding extra strength to the defence. Another Hallberg effort was saved by Marshall and then May struck a shot wide from a good position.

Five additional minutes were indicated and in the first of those, Hoppe replaced Cadden before, right at the death, a Murphy cross from the left found Carey at the back post but the Saints man missed the ball completely with the goal at his mercy. There was no surprise when Napier was booed off at the end and although Hibs played poorly, they hung on to earn the point that meant they reached the split in fifth spot after defeats for both Livingston and, surprisingly, St. Mirren.

The players

Marshall – A dreadful mistake for the St Johnstone goal but given that he went on to make three wonderful goal denying saves I guess you could say he played villain and hero in the same ninety minutes.

Egan-Riley – Had a ding-dong battle with McLennan and for my money, came out on top more often than not.

Fish – Solid and steered clear of any fancy stuff, clearing his lines well when Hibs were under the cosh a man down.

Hanlon – Much like Fish, he was always there to clear the danger.

Stevenson – Defended heroically and scored a cracking goal, earning him my man of the match award.

Jeggo – Shocking decision to dismiss him.

Cadden – Not involved as much as I would have liked him to be but as always, he gave every ounce of energy and will surely sleep well tonight.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake gets through a power of work and had to work twice as hard after Jeggo was sent off.

Newell – Joe had a good game and was urging his team mates on, but I wish he’d stop giving away stupid fouls in dangerous areas.

Youan – Another frustrating game from Elie though to be fair, running with the ball on that pitch was nigh on impossible.

Nisbet – Largely left on his own as he was battered about, he still managed to cause the Saints defence some problems.

Henderson – Was brought on to sit ahead of Cadden and then Miller as St Johnstone seemed set on attacking down that side.

Miller – Defended well enough and made life difficult for Murphy by continually making him cut inside.

Hoppe – His energy was useful as he chased down opponents and hurried midfielders into making rushed passes.

Lee Johnson – I hope Lee persuades the club to appeal that shocking red card.

Referee – I’ve said all I want to say about this incompetent.

And finally – what a magnificent travelling support.

JammyDoidger
22-04-2023, 09:44 PM
Tbh I'm no really buying this hard luck story, even before the red card we were nothing short of abysmal, and as it progressed and the other games fell in our favour we had no intention of actually going for the 3 points, Johnson more interested in scraping too 6 than battling for anything higher, and we wonder why our clubs a soft touch. With that support today they let us down again, shocking performance from team and management, McKirdy was raging second half and I don't blame him. That guy hadn't had 2 consecutive games yet others prance about doing nowt week after week. We are a soft touch. Singing we're on our way to Europe etc is embarrassing, half this league gets European football man, we are supposed to be better than this crap. That manager should be long gone.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 08:19 AM
Tbh I'm no really buying this hard luck story, even before the red card we were nothing short of abysmal, and as it progressed and the other games fell in our favour we had no intention of actually going for the 3 points, Johnson more interested in scraping too 6 than battling for anything higher, and we wonder why our clubs a soft touch. With that support today they let us down again, shocking performance from team and management, McKirdy was raging second half and I don't blame him. That guy hadn't had 2 consecutive games yet others prance about doing nowt week after week. We are a soft touch. Singing we're on our way to Europe etc is embarrassing, half this league gets European football man, we are supposed to be better than this crap. That manager should be long gone.

If McKirdy is raging, he should actually do something positive when he is on the park, no goals , no assists.
Nothing, i would suggest he is part of the problem.

DIXIHIBS
23-04-2023, 08:22 AM

You must be a laugh on a night out!!

Since452
23-04-2023, 08:22 AM
Regardless of how poor the ref was yesterday we weren't at the races. The expected derby win hangover. We were robbed of a chance of pushing on in the second half. Thought that was one of Stevensons best games in a Hibs shirt and Joe Newell has the heart of a lion. Battled for everything. Nobody really else gets pass marks for me but then the ref made sure we had our backs to the wall. Got to give us credit for battling to a point in the end I guess.

Brightside
23-04-2023, 08:49 AM

Mckirdy has zero right to be raging at anything. He’s miles away from the quality we need, and would not have been an upgrade on the right side.

Northernhibee
23-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Mckirdy has zero right to be raging at anything. He’s miles away from the quality we need, and would not have been an upgrade on the right side.
Imagine how quickly that ref would have booked him for dissent too for his attitude.

Stubbsy90+2
23-04-2023, 08:57 AM

:agree:

McKirdy has had the chances his constantly poor performance have deserved. He’s arguably possibly had more than he’s deserved when you see the game time others have had.

Unseen work
23-04-2023, 11:31 AM
Marshall’s error looks bad but for me just as much blame has to be directed at Nisbet.

He is standing right infront of Marshall and moves out the way of the shot at the very last second.

Marshall could hardly see the shot and then had to react late. If Nisbet stood his ground it hits off him and is cleared.

That said, Marshall has a bit of a habit for shots squirming under his body and into the net. He did have some brilliant saves yesterday though.

Blaster
23-04-2023, 11:35 AM
Not sure why Miller just didn’t come on for Egan-Riley rather than Henderson? Moved Cadden back then had to move him forward again.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Marshall’s error looks bad but for me just as much blame has to be directed at Nisbet.

He is standing right infront of Marshall and moves out the way of the shot at the very last second.

Marshall could hardly see the shot and then had to react late. If Nisbet stood his ground it hits off him and is cleared.

That said, Marshall has a bit of a habit for shots squirming under his body and into the net. He did have some brilliant saves yesterday though.
AGree 100 percent, nisbet could have chested it down, but for some reason moves out the way at the last minute.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 11:44 AM
Not sure why Miller just didn’t come on for Egan-Riley rather than Henderson? Moved Cadden back then had to move him forward again.

I think the initial sub was to try and get more of an attacking threat. Didn’t work, but I think that was what we were looking for.

greenlex
23-04-2023, 03:18 PM
TBH I’m fast getting to the not really being interested in what you think.

brog
23-04-2023, 03:26 PM

I initially thought that also but looking again I think Nisbet tried to avoid deflecting the ball in. Regardless, Marsh must save it.

23-04-2023, 03:51 PM
I initially thought that also but looking again I think Nisbet tried to avoid deflecting the ball in. Regardless, Marsh must save it.

I thought he moved to avoid it hitting his arm.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:00 PM
I've watched the Jego challenge several times now, and understand how the Ref gave a red.

Under the rules of the game "playing the ball first" has nothing to do with any refereeing decision and is irrelevant. Many supporters dolefully think that's the case......but it's NOT.

He pokes the ball with his toe, but his studs are up when he follows through on Connor McLennan's left foot.

Possibly worth an appeal, if there's another camera angle, but I recon we'd be on a hiding-to-nothing.

500miles
23-04-2023, 04:07 PM
I've watched the Jego challenge several times now, and understand how the Ref gave a red.

Under the rules of the game "playing the ball first" has nothing to do with any refereeing decision and is irrelevant. Many supporters dolefully think that's the case......but it's NOT.

He pokes the ball with his toe, but his studs are up when he follows through on Connor McLennan's left foot.

Possibly worth an appeal, if there's another camera angle, but I recon we'd be on a hiding-to-nothing.
Try watching it again with the screen turned on.

greenlex
23-04-2023, 04:10 PM

Eh? He’s stretching to get and play the ball with his foot almost on the ground. McLennans foot isn’t there until McLennon tries to go for the ball that’s long gone. Jeggo isn’t forceful or aggressive. Who’s endangering who? We simply have to appeal it. The camera angle from the opposite view of the ref is all that is needed or something else is in play here.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:10 PM
Try watching it again with the screen turned on.
Try pulling your green-colored glasses off.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Eh? He’s stretching to get and play the ball with his foot almost on the ground. McLennans foot isn’t there until McLennon tries to go for the ball that’s long gone. Jeggo isn’t forceful or aggressive. Who’s endangering who? We simply have to appeal it. The camera angle from the opposite view of the ref is all that is needed or something else is in play here.
Aye...right.

Bridge hibs
23-04-2023, 04:13 PM

Never ever a red card offence, not even a yellow. Watched part of the spurs game and a spurs player with high boot caught a Newcastle player in the nads, yellow card only

sean
23-04-2023, 04:14 PM

What was so shocking about the performance? we played nearly Half the game on a ploughed field with 10 men while an aggressive team kicked ****ed out of us. I seen 110% effort yesterday from the players on the park.

what players prance about most weeks? iv been to 25 matches about and dont recall many if any players prancing around?

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 04:16 PM

He didn’t follow through. He stabbed the ball away and the St Johnstone player came flying in. It’s absolutely never a red card not even under the current rules. There wasn’t any force, it wasn’t dangerous. There was absolutely nothing to merit a red card in that challenge.

Allant1981
23-04-2023, 04:17 PM

wasn't even a foul,think you are the only person I've seen suggest the ref got it correct

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 04:19 PM
What was so shocking about the performance? we played nearly Half the game on a ploughed field with 10 men while an aggressive team kicked ****ed out of us. I seen 110% effort yesterday from the players on the park.

what players prance about most weeks? iv been to 25 matches about and dont recall many if any players prancing around?

We were poor. We started dreadfully. Got an bit of control between the equaliser and half time but even allowing for us having 10 men, our use of the ball was really poor in the second half.

Spirit not in question but apart from one moment, the quality was dreadful.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:21 PM
Never ever a red card offence, not even a yellow. Watched part of the spurs game and a spurs player with high boot caught a Newcastle player in the nads, yellow card only

If you red (sic) my post you would understand I don't necessarily think its a red bit I do understand why it was called.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:22 PM
He didn’t follow through. He stabbed the ball away and the St Johnstone player came flying in. It’s absolutely never a red card not even under the current rules. There wasn’t any force, it wasn’t dangerous. There was absolutely nothing to merit a red card in that challenge.
Studs up ...Red all day long.

sean
23-04-2023, 04:24 PM
We were poor. We started dreadfully. Got an bit of control between the equaliser and half time but even allowing for us having 10 men, our use of the ball was really poor in the second half.

Spirit not in question but apart from one moment, the quality was dreadful.

I think the pitch had a lot to do with that, I was virtually at eye level, it was absolutely horrific. we were poor first ten minutes and last 10 hanging on. we've no divine right to go **** st Johnstone, they went hard at us, we got a decent enough point.

Motherwell and united not acceptable, for me yesterday was a solid battling point with a horrific pitch and ref chucked in.

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:26 PM
wasn't even a foul,think you are the only person I've seen suggest the ref got it correct

We all see the game differently.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Was anything said why Josh Campbell wasn’t in the squad yesterday?

Curried
23-04-2023, 04:30 PM
Was anything said why Josh Campbell wasn’t in the squad yesterday?
Apparently carrying a knock

Billy Whizz
23-04-2023, 04:31 PM
Apparently carrying a knock

Ok thanks

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 04:53 PM

The ref, the boy on VAR and you are the only folk who see that.

There isn’t any rule that says ‘studs up’ is a red card. Sometimes players get caught by studs, it doesn’t always constitute serious foul play though.

Edit, 90th minute of the FA Cup semi final, challenge on Casimiro with studs up. Was a booking, nothing more nothing less.

Curried
23-04-2023, 05:36 PM
The ref, the boy on VAR and you are the only folk who see that.

There isn’t any rule that says ‘studs up’ is a red card. Sometimes players get caught by studs, it doesn’t always constitute serious foul play though.

Edit, 90th minute of the FA Cup semi final, challenge on Casimiro with studs up. Was a booking, nothing more nothing less.

You're clearly not across the rules.......It's deemed serious foul pay if the the ref thinks a tackle or challenge endangers the safety of an opponent. FFS.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 05:41 PM
You're clearly not across the rules.......It's deemed serious foul pay if the the ref thinks a tackle or challenge endangers the safety of an opponent. FFS.

I’m very aware of the rules.

Based on what you say, every time studs show it would be a red card. We know that’s not the case. Maybe the ref at Wembley isn’t across the rules eh.

What’s with the FFS?

BoomtownHibees
23-04-2023, 05:43 PM

Jeggo’s tackle yesterday done none of that. FFS

madhatter
23-04-2023, 05:45 PM

Jeggo's technically wasn't even a tackle. Is it a red if you kick the ball and the opponent comes steaming into your foot?

If so, Hibs need to be teaching this as we'll be able to get at least 1 opponent sent off every match.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2023, 05:47 PM

You are at it, it was a foul on Jeggo, he plays the ball and the St Johnstone player clatters into him a second later.

Curried
23-04-2023, 05:48 PM
I’m very aware of the rules.

Based on what you say, every time studs show it would be a red card. We know that’s not the case.

What’s with the FFS?

I'm not a Ref.....Are You? I did check this decision with a Professional Ref, and like the Ref on the field and the VAR they all said it was a red. You of course know better than the professionals?

The FFS is exasperation about people who think they know better, but quite simply don't.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 05:50 PM
Jeggo’s tackle yesterday done none of that. FFS

Just trolling, best to ignore.

Blaster
23-04-2023, 05:51 PM
I stood up and cheered when the red card came out. I thought the St Johnstone player was off

Sat down pretty sharpish 😂

Curried
23-04-2023, 05:52 PM
You are at it, it was a foul on Jeggo, he plays the ball and the St Johnstone player clatters into him a second later.
And you're full of it to mate. Reported.

BoomtownHibees
23-04-2023, 05:53 PM

*too

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 05:54 PM
I'm not a Ref.....Are You? I did check this decision with a Professional Ref, and like the Ref on the field and the VAR they all said it was a red. You of course know better than the professionals?

The FFS is exasperation about people who think the know better, but quite simply don't.

I know the rules. Anyone can quote a rule. They’re easy to find and read, you don’t need to be a ref to do that.

It’s how you choose to interpret them. And my interpretation of the player being endangered is that he wasn’t.

It’s no just me that thinks they know better in this instance by the way. And it’s not just folk with green tinted specs as you mentioned earlier.

madhatter
23-04-2023, 05:57 PM

The FFS is exasperation about people who think they know better, but quite simply don't.

Wow, Mitoma's done worse than Jeggo twice in this game and only got a booking...

Curried
23-04-2023, 05:57 PM
I know the rules. Anyone can quote a rule. They’re easy to find and read, you don’t need to be a ref to do that.

It’s how you choose to interpret them. And my interpretation of the player being endangered is that he wasn’t.

It’s no just me that thinks they know better in this instance by the way. And it’s not just folk with green tinted specs as you mentioned earlier.
But you're not a Ref, and at the end of the day its a professional ref that decides. ... Oh Bugger.

BoomtownHibees
23-04-2023, 06:00 PM
But you're not a Ref, and at the end of the day its a professional ref that decides. ... Oh Bugger.

Refs never make mistakes either

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 06:03 PM

Has a red card never been overturned?

Oh bugger.

Curried
23-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Refs never make mistakes either

Yes of course they make mistakes. But if you read my OP on this thread you would understand that. Not that that's has stopped every bored kid bailing in because they thought they had the right view on it.

Curried
23-04-2023, 06:14 PM
Has a red card never been overturned?

Oh bugger.

Sure it has, but I don't think Hibs will challenge this because both the ref and VAR ref saw the studs up (dangerous foul play).
Happy to see it challenged, if there's another camera angle, as I said in my OP.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Sure it has, but I don't think Hibs will challenge this because both the ref and VAR ref saw the studs up (dangerous foul play).
Happy to see it challenged, if there's another camera angle, as I said in my OP.

There has already been reds overturned this season where VAR has backed the ref.

Hibs will appeal.

greenlex
23-04-2023, 06:20 PM
If you red (sic) my post you would understand I don't necessarily think its a red bit I do understand why it was called.

:rolleyes: A minute apart. Toddle along now.

Curried
23-04-2023, 06:33 PM
:rolleyes: A minute apart. Toddle along now.
You can have a view and an interpretation on that view.
Sad that you need to pull it up ....says more about you than anything else.

Allant1981
23-04-2023, 06:36 PM

Of course you had a chat with a professional ref

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-04-2023, 06:38 PM

I am a qualified referee actually, it’s potentially a foul due to the follow through but it’s clearly not dangerous or deliberate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
23-04-2023, 06:40 PM
I am a qualified referee actually, it’s potentially a foul due to the follow through but it’s clearly not dangerous or deliberate.

Was it a follow through though? If anything the st Johnstone player followed through as jeggo had already played the ball?

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-04-2023, 06:42 PM
Was it a follow through though? If anything the st Johnstone player followed through as jeggo had already played the ball?

Meh, two players going for the same ball neither really for a challenge per se, every time you kick a ball whilst stretching like Jeggo did you’re going to have studs showing so for me that’s not a fair reason to issue a red. However, the St Johnstone player is also going for the ball and his momentum just carries him into the path of Jeggo’s leg that’s dangling from his momentum. It’s never a red but I can see why a ref would give a foul

greenlex
23-04-2023, 06:52 PM
You can have a view and an interpretation on that view.
Sad that you need to pull it up ....says more about you than anything else.
Sad indeed.

Ronniekirk
23-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Seen it now from several angles Never a red and am not a ref Butvyouvreslly don’t need to be to know that wasn’t a red

Leith Green
23-04-2023, 07:08 PM
I stood up and cheered when the red card came out. I thought the St Johnstone player was off

Sat down pretty sharpish 😂

I pretty much did the same thing .. Just assumed it had to be one of their players. Bizarrely enough , there has been a player sent off in every Hibs v St Johnstone game this season , as well as in 2 of the 4 meetings last season

archie
23-04-2023, 07:09 PM

But every commentator said it was extremely harsh.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2023, 08:16 PM
:faf:

Carheenlea
23-04-2023, 08:25 PM

Make your mind up.

23-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Make your mind up.

😂😂

23-04-2023, 09:57 PM
Of course you had a chat with a professional ref

A guy that referees U13s for £35 a match.

23-04-2023, 10:09 PM

If this is the type of post you're reporting then your judgement of what is and what isn't an infringement of rules is even worse than I thought.

Kato
24-04-2023, 06:35 AM
Eh? He’s stretching to get and play the ball with his foot almost on the ground. McLennans foot isn’t there until McLennon tries to go for the ball that’s long gone. Jeggo isn’t forceful or aggressive. Who’s endangering who? We simply have to appeal it. The camera angle from the opposite view of the ref is all that is needed or something else is in play here.Yeah, it's McLennan arrives late. He actually makes contact with Jeggo rather than the other way round.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

ronaldo7
24-04-2023, 09:21 AM
A guy that referees U13s for £35 a match.

£50 in our league these days. Inflation. 😳

jacomo
24-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it's McLennan arrives late. He actually makes contact with Jeggo rather than the other way round.

I thought that was as clear as day to everyone but apparently not.

The opponent was nowhere near the ball when Jeggo touched it. As said above, if anything it could have been a red for the Saints player who arrives so, so late.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2023, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it's McLennan arrives late. He actually makes contact with Jeggo rather than the other way round.

I thought that was as clear as day to everyone but apparently not.

The opponent was nowhere near the ball when Jeggo touched it. As said above, if anything it could have been a red for the Saints player who arrives so, so late.

Exactly, Jeggo is fouled but of course he's the one sent off by the cheat.